Menu
Air New Zealand
reviews & complaints

Air New Zealand
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

105 complaints
6 resolved 99 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Air New Zealand. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
A
2:30 am EDT

Air New Zealand - services.

Hi team,

I am trying to use air NZ both, back and forth on a trip to Sydney in the second week of April, but unfortunately no return flights from Sydney to Wellington. (not a single one available!)From Apr. 7 th to April 17th,

if all flights are already fully booked, should not you introduce atleast 3 more flights during this time, so people who want to come back, obviously can come back safely in the national career.

Its sad and disappointing, when your national career leave you high and dry, leaving very big gaps in their service, so we do not get the consistency of regular service. We majority cant afford, business class, so no point keeping business class seats.

Please look into this anomaly in service from Sydney to Wellington , during above period, and introduce atleast minimum 3 flights to cater to the needs of the general NZ population. I am sure if you introduce more flights they will have an economic load.

However, kindly note that essential feature of a national carrier, is to provide a consistent service, some times even at a slight loss, in order not to let down their regular customers, who count on them. Peoples loyality start to sway, if you give adhoc, irregular, inconsistent service to them. leaving a gap of 10 days with out a service between Sydney to Wellington is a huge dis service to loyal customers.

Desired outcome: please introduce more flights from Sydney to Wellington, during April 7th to April 17th. at the moment all flights on these days, indicate no seats available. !!

4:51 am EST

Air New Zealand - Itinerary errors caused near miss flight

Please find attached itineraries sent to passenger via email and please take notes of the dates sent on them.

This shows booking of original itinerary to changed itinerary and reads "will confirm in 15 working days and didn't?!.. then receives another email shows"get ready to fly out on noted date and itinerary shows original fly out itinerary?.. passenger was very happy to learn there was no change until she got to the airport and finds out her itinerary was in fact changed and almost cause her to miss her flight had she not showed up early.

Very confusing and disappointing. Please can this be resolved. May passenger add she still hasn't received her return flight details as yet as well... if that is going to change. Thank you.

Passenger email details included.

Desired outcome: I would like an apology and request credit vouchers for passenger to use at Wellington and Auckland international airport please.

View 0 more photos
M
2:14 pm EST

Air New Zealand - Poor service and unfair process

I booked return flights for myself from Wellington to Christchurch on the 22 Feb (Ref 9367639 M I Adams - Travel 30&31 July).

Later that day I spoke to my partner and she decided to travel too, I booked tickets for her on the same flights around 9.45pm (Ref EHV44H) - unfortunately, just after I paid for the flights, I realised I booked them under my name, this happened when I entered my Airpoints number which automatically populated the booking fields and I didn't pick this up.

As soon as I made the error I checked my options under managemybooking on the Airnz website and realised there was no help options that applied,I then tried to contact Airnz on the 0800 number several times without success, I assumed the call center closed at 8 or 9pm and decided to call the next morning. As I didn't want to miss out on the attractive fares, I booked new flights for my partner (EIJSDH E A Bainbridge), I made sure I got the name correct this time!

I phoned Airnz around 9am on the 23rd and spoke to a staff member explaining my mistake, and could I get a credit or transfer the booking. She explained that was a possibility if I contacted Airnz on the same day, I explained the booking was made late in the evening the previous day, and I had tried to contact Airnz - both on line by managemybooking and by calling the 0800 number. The staff member said she could not help and whilst polite seemed quite disinterested.

My issue is I was effectively penalised for making the booking at 9.45pm as I was unable to contact Airnz - If I had made the booking at 9.45am I would have been able to contact the call center. This seems unfair to me.

Airnz does many things well, the airfare prices where great, flights are easy to book, and the website directs you to many areas for information and support. However, I believe this is an error that anyone could make and could included in mamagemybooking. I understand you don't want customers transferring details/names, but surely it makes sense to allow for genuine mistakes giving customers 12 or 24 hours to make amendment?

I'm only out a $100 odd dollars, but it seems a pretty easy mistake to make and correct. I would appreciate your consideration in a travel credit.

Regards

Mike Adams [protected]

Desired outcome: Credit of flight EHV44H

A
3:22 pm EST

Air New Zealand - Pandemic Response

We had booked tickets from Sydney to Queenstown return 3 months prior to our departure date in August 2021. Under the instruction all that was required from passengers was a negative Covid test 72hrs prior.

Since all flights were cancelled a month prior to our departure date due to Covid, we were given the flights in "Credit".

Air New Zealand has since changed its policy on vaccinated vs unvaccinated people and the 5 of us are unable to use our "Credit".

All we want is our money returned to us. We booked and paid our monies on an agreement that Air New Zealand has not upheld.

We have expressed the matter with the ACCC and approached our local customer protection agency.

Desired outcome: Refund

4:57 pm EST

Air New Zealand - Unethical and immoral behavior

Whatever you do, absolutely do not buy tickets on ANZ - they are the very worst kind of ruthless, immoral capitalists. We bought tickets for our honeymoon on ANZ - and ANZ literally ended up destroying our lives. We were forced to change the dates of our honeymoon due to circumstances beyond our control, and they ended up trying to charge us twice as much as our initial ticket for the level of service provided. After 5 phone calls, I finally got upset when one of their representatives started talking down to me because of the fact that we are a homosexual couple, unfortunately so upset that I had a seizure and said a bunch of things that didn't even make sense. Their representative twisted my semi-coherent words around and made a report to the police, so even though a manager later made a fake "rebooking", it was all just a setup and they had me arrested for making a fake "threat" when we tried to check in for our flight to Auckland. They not only took our honeymoon, which was our wedding gift from all of our friends and family, away from us, but then refused to drop the charges, despite our explaining that I have a health condition and their own ground staff disagreeing with what they were doing. Then when we tried to sue them for damages, they had me thrown in jail! We didn't even have to go to there to find out what a bunch of nasty capitalist pigs they are in New Zealand!

Desired outcome: An apology and compensation for the hell they have put us through

H
3:07 pm EST

Air New Zealand - AirNZ pandemic response

I'm embarrassed to say that I used to work for a company that now advocates and promotes human rights abuse.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

You should immediately change your stance and allow unvaccinated people to travel with a negative test.

You will be judged by history. Your time is coming. It's not too late to stop. You're making a huge mistake.

Desired outcome: Reverse Vaccination policy for international travel to allow unvaccinated to travel with a negative test

3:13 pm EDT

Air New Zealand - Refund of Airfares

With the pandemic circumstances change. There are no options available to use the Air New Zealand credits we have due to not being able to fly out of New Zealand or fly into another country.
We have been advised by the Travel company that credits need to be booked by 30 June 2022 and taken by 30 June 2023. How does anyone know what or when the situation will improve and what our situation will be at that time.
I feel that Air New Zealand have become thief's and stolen money from ordinary New Zealanders, by not refunding them, including us, money we paid in good faith to travel, and then through no fault of their/our own, have been unable to travel due to the Pandemic. The NZ government has supported Air New Zealand giving them millions so why can't they do the right thing and ethically and morally refund ordinary New Zealanders their money.

Desired outcome: Refund of all money paid to Air New Zealand

12:06 am EDT

Air New Zealand - Domestic Flights within New Zealand

We originally booked in for our son to fly return to Palmerston North for a Barbershop Singing convention from 23 - 26 Sept. This was subsequently postponed to 21 - 23 Nov. We were able to credit the flights and use them for the new dates.
Due to the uncertainty caused by Covid this event has been cancelled.
I find that I am no longer able to get these flights credited as it is after 31 Oct.
I find this very disappointing and it shows Air NZ in a very poor light. There is no difference to Covid cancelling an event before 31 Oct or after.
This is very poor treatment of your valued customers and not a Fair Go at all.
The people I have talked too are not aware of this clause and it's not like Covid has gone away.
I think Air NZ should review this policy very promptly as it is not a good look. I have a family trip planned next month flying in and out of Auckland and will need to make a decision soon as to whether it goes ahead.

Desired outcome: A credit of the flights as is the option for flights pre 31 Oct

6:50 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Re: booking reference LNLJQH and Y8MNFH I am contacting you regarding the above flight credits, which I feel are not a satisfactory outcome. Given that currently there is no Trans Tasman travel allowed by the decree of the New Zealand Government. I am in a compromising situation, (through no fault of mine,) and I feel that Air New Zealand, as an...

F
3:22 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I booked a flight on Air New Zealand from Auckland to Darwin (via Melbourne) - Booking Reference S2APSH. When we arrived in Melbourne at 5:30PM, we were told that the last leg of our journey (NZ7838) to DWN was no longer operating. I phoned the Air New Zealand Service Desk, but due to high caller demand (60 min wait) we could not get through. I considered...

G
3:47 am EDT

Air New Zealand - Flght cancelation

Booking ref yg4d6h canceled due to covid boarder restrictons imosed by nz goverment
Requested refund which was rejected and told only credit can be issued
We have no ability to do the flight meaning credithas caused financial hardship and only possible vacation time can now not rebook anywhere due to nz airlines holding our money when all other airline are now refunding as reqired, this is against the consumer rights and poor for the travel indutry as it holds funds from being redirected
Very disapointing and criminal in these covid environment

Desired outcome: Full refund

S
11:33 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Booking Reference EG3KFH Walton Airpoints Number 1906158. Having purchased a business class return ticket to Brisbane I was surprised and embarrassed to be denied access to the Domestic lounge at Tauranga Airport at the start of my connecting flight to Auckland and then Brisbane. Having left home at 4am to meet the 1 hour check in for international travel...

5:22 pm EDT

Air New Zealand - Request refund and not a credit

I would like to request a refund and not a credit for booking ref: FDCZAH as this was a Quarantine free flight, but as of 23/07/21 all flights were paused for 8 weeks by NZ PM. We are moving back to NZ to live. Our household goods, vehicles and dog are in NZ waiting for us to fly home. We have costs to pay here and in NZ and since we can't fly I would like the refund. My last call to Air NZ was on 23/07/21 at 2.13pm to get a MIQ flight but advised all taken within 5 mins and the gentleman said I can either book for next available flight which was on 16/08/21 or get a credit or a refund. I decided to book for 16/08/21 hoping we could still fly. Now I have been told that my booking can not be refunded. I cannot accept that. We started this journey with Air NZ back in May 2021 and each time Air NZ cancelled our flights I would call to rebook for the next available date and I was advised if the flight was cancelled again I could rebook again, get a credit or request for a refund. Now I am told this booking is non-refundable. I had faith in Air NZ until up to this moment with my last call at 6.12 am this morning 26/07/21. No one knows what will happen in the next 12 mths and no one knew that Covid would strike again after last year. What is the guarantee that this will not happen again next July 2022. That is money that we need right now. I just want Air NZ to do the right thing and refund our money.
Please contact me on my email: [protected]@hotmail. com with approval of my refund.
Regards
Devina Rawhiti

Desired outcome: To receive our refund of flights, seats and additional luggage

5:49 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Booked this trip in advance to attend both parents 90th birthday in Gisborne new zealand. did all the paperwork, Good2Go for both countrys and got a Covid to travel test for wife & myself booked for friday 16th [protected]@ 2pm. Now we live 4.5 hours north of Perth. and were told by the testing cliniclab that we must be no later than 4pm friday 16th July as that...

2:13 am EDT

Air New Zealand - No notification regarding flight cancellation

Flight NZ126 Melbourne to Auckland Sunday 11 July at 6.55 was cancelled & there had been NO notification either by email or text message from Air NZ regarding said cancellation.
We therefore had to change flights to Qantas & was consequently put on Jetstar flight JQ217. This flight was delayed & caused us stress on teaching our destination.
We understand that there can be disruptions to flights due to Covid19, however expect a better communication with us .

Desired outcome: Refund of difference of costs as we paid AirNZ for a flight with the works

3:19 pm EDT

Air New Zealand - Overcharging.

My name is Dan Phillips, [protected], [protected]@outlook.com. On a recent trip to Brisbane I took a suitcase and a set of golf clubs in another bag. I thought that because both bags together weighed less than 23kg I would not have any problems. On arrival at the Nelson airport I was told that I should have purchased an extra bag to cover the bag containing the golf clubs. After weighing the bags, which came to approx. 21kg, the extra bag charge was waived.
On the return trip, when the bags were weighed, they came to approx. 22kg, but the staff member insisted I pay Aus$160 for the extra bag.
Could I please have my money refunded as the total weight was less than 23kg.

Desired outcome: Refund of Aus$160.

3:05 pm EDT

Air New Zealand - Boarding time lack of communication

I've attached a photo of the flights board. My original flight left 4 mins earlier without any knowledge to me. No correspondence. I had no luggage, I checked in at home unawares. I arrived at boarding gate 10 mins before what I assumed my flight was 6:30am. My boarding pass didn't have any alerts on it. I was at gate at 6:20am with my electronic boarding pass to get on. In these covid times I prefer to not hang around at airport. Yes I'm now aware they prefer me to be at boarding gate at 6:15am for a 6:30am flight. But if course unbeknownst to me it was leaving in 6min. When I purchased the next flight the attendant explained when the boarding time is. I don't fly very often. I figured 10-15 min with no luggage would be OK. She said 15min. I don't know if she knew it had left earlier. I didn't know at that stage. When I went back to ask how it all works when they decide to leave early the other lady said 20 mins prior. I'm annoyed at the mixed messages. It's very convenient to check in at home and the electronic pass is great. I don't understand why you don't have the BOARDING time made prominent not just the DEPARTURE time. AND if there is a likelihood it will leave earlier then should not the adjusted BOARDING time be communicated? Yes of course I was cutting it fine but I thought I was being efficient. Life is juggling many balls. Could ya help us out a little by thinking of your customers please.

Desired outcome: Apology for bad management of app and communication.

View 0 more photos
1 comment
S
Apr 01, 2022 6:29 am EDT

I've got the same experience with Air NZ. They've got terrible service and poor communication.

R
6:58 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Good morning, I am writing to put in a complaint for the supervisor who worked the flight to LAX that left Thursday March 25th at 930pm. My mother passed away and I urgently scheduled a flight. I contacted the US government and the state government and was issued an exemption due to fact that there would possibly not be time to receive a result before I...

K
8:03 pm EST

Air New Zealand - Non mask wearing advice to a minor

Hi,
My grandson, Saige Tripeny Cambridge, travelled from Chch to Nelson;
ref G3D47H, 21st Feb. 2021, flight; 8848.
Saige is 10 years old. He said on that flight that the air hostess said he did not have to wear a mask, so he did not. He said there was coughing on board.
Saige now has a cough and a sore throat and has been off school these last two days, and he has had to have a covid test which was time consuming for us and very unpleasant for him.
Can you please explain the reasons for this hostess telling saige that he did not need to wear a mask? I thought it now was mandatory on all planes?

Desired outcome: That Airnz ensures it's staff are following policy please, and please inform me of the outcome.[protected]@yahoo.co.nz

F
2:15 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I wish to complain about not being advised about a significant flight delay on Sunday 17 Jan 2021 on my flight 827.1 from Bay of Islands to Auckland to connect then with a flight Auckland to Tauranga. I was holidaying at Russell and was driven from Russell to Bay of Islands Airport arriving at the airport at 4.45pm. When I approached the check in counter I...

Air New Zealand contacts