AfniTrying to collect debt that does not belong to me

AFNI has attached my address to someone elses debt as it appears that me and the debt have similar names. I have confirmed with them that my social security number does not match that of the real debtor. They have placed a collections account on my credit file using my name and home address only. I have contacted them by phone and by letter and they refuse to discontinue their threats and harassing letters and calls. I'm not sure what my options are for suing these ###, but this is my first step prior to contacting a lawyer.

• Ti
    tiredofbullies Feb 05, 2013

They have contacted my grandfather stating he owes a debt to them. Number one, my grandfather has NEVER had past due bills. They are claiming to be collecting from AT&T but what really grabbed my attention was the last two lines of the letter: "The law limits how long you can be sued on a debt. Because of the age of your debt, we will not sue you for it, and we will not report it to any credit reporting agency."
    Hmmm. Ranks right up there with the ### trying to get information at their house based on "Windows Error Reports" - I told that one off in no uncertain terms - telling him plainly I knew he was a liar because there had never been a computer hooked up in that home!