Afni, Inc.Settlement Offer

I was sent a "Pay only HALF OF YOUR BALANCE to settle your account" offer. I never have had an account with the company they mentioned:T-Mobile. The said I could pay either online or with a credit card. They asked for my social security number plus my credit card number and 3 digit code. I tried to call the number they provided but it was not working at the time. Checked this company out online and found numerous complaints about bogus charges and amounts due...and the same sort of pay half the amount requests that I received. They told me that they couldn't report me to the credit bureau because the debt was so old, etc. They mentioned that they had tried to contact me before but never have...I believe that this company is a ripoff and a fraud and should be stopped. What they are doing is a scam and a hazard to senior citizens and people everywhere. They need to be stopped/prosecuted. If you need documents I can provide them. Thank you for your kind attention.

• Su
    Susana Romero Sep 21, 2007

Sent a letter to my mother claiming she owed $, using her name my SSN. I called and they said my mom owed the $. I told them we never had that service. Would not talk to me anymore, rude, they told me she had to pay. I told them to send us the bill. Refused to do that. I said How do I know is this a real bill? Would not respond to my answers. I won't pay them I know I did not have that service.

• Ol
    Olen David Tims Oct 04, 2007

They are claiming I owe a phone bill from 1993/1994 in the amount of $1186.31. I did not have a phone in my name at that time, and was living with my Mother.

Beware people!

• Ci
    Cindy L Michael Oct 30, 2007

I received a bill from afni, Inc., stating I owed an overdue account with Verizon California of $361.10. I also, received a settlement offer for half of that amount. I do not owe Verizon anything but my current months bill. I have all of Verizon's services and have always had Verizon. That would'nt be possible if I owed them anything.

Jan Greenfield Oct 31, 2007

I received a collection notice from Afni, Inc. re Verizon telephone charges from 12 years ago in the amount of $140.75. I wrote Afnie a letter disputing the validity of the debt and reminded them that the statute of limitations for the debt in my state had expired. I am awaiting their response!!!

James Liu Feb 11, 2008

I received a similar collection letter from Afni Inc today, saying we owe $133 to Verizon Selected Service Inc. We never used this company. It is just insane.

• Ca
    CA Apr 01, 2008

I agree, I just received a notice of collection, listing Cingular as creditor. I NEVER USED CINGULAR SERVICES IN MY LIFE. WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE. I too will submit a letter to the authorities.

• He
    Heather Apr 15, 2008

I just got a charge from them. Never heard of them had to cancel my debit card and file a report. Who do they think they are anyway? How do these people get your info. To do this. Good thing i have protection for this kind of stuff or i'd be in alot of cr*p. I am far from rich and they just keep stealing to make what we don't have. It makes me sick.

• Ti
    Tim May 02, 2008

These people are the absolute worst!!! Gave me no help whatsoever, and insisted that I was liable for a phone line opened up in my name 7 years ago. The woman on the phone was rude and completely unhelpful. It's absolutely unbelievable that they can be allowed to conduct business in this manner and still remain open.

SHUT THESE PEOPLE DOWN AND PUT THEIR MANAGEMENT IN JAIL!!!

• Da
    Dan Oct 16, 2008

Received a debt collection notice for a false claim. States I owe $125.58 to Verizon Maryladn Inc. Will settle for $62.79.

• Ri
    Richard Nov 10, 2008

Received a bill for $497.93 for a Verizon phone number from 1999. Never owed Verizon money from this number...account settled when we moved in 2000. This company also has access to our cell phones as they sent us a text message to our phones showing the amount owed. Unable to get a response by phone from Afni, Inc.

• Le
    leigh Jan 30, 2009

I received a letter from ASNI today stating I owed $1127 to Bell South. I haven't had Bell South in at least 8 years and if I had left a balance for a final bill it would have been very small. They said they would settle for $564. I never received anything from Bell South. I feel they would have hounded me for a bill that large. If I had had Bell South or AT&T for cell phone service I would understand a possibly large balance but I have only had them for home phone service and not even long distance. Any suggestions?

• St
    stephen allen Mar 12, 2009

I just today received a Collection Notice from AFNI, INC. stating that I owed $563.74 for a phone number that I closed in 2002. What is even more annoying that at the time I shut it down I was told by the Verzion customer service hot line that I owed some small amount, which i disputed and was given a verbal communication over the phone stating that they appear to be in agreement that it was a "phantom charge" and that my account will be credited the amount they fraudulently attempted to "bleed from me."

What can I do to resolve this, as this is the first notice I have ever received about this, for utter lack of a better phrase, "out right extortion"?

• Ca
    Carlos Paulino May 05, 2009

without any warning or contact the AFNI, IN has place a negative information on my credit report, I tried to reach the company to find why was the negative information, I also tried to let them know that I was deployed to IRAQ and that I had just came back, but I didnt have any luck.

• Ke
    keepemhonest Oct 22, 2009

Illegal debt collection practices on non-validated and zombie debt past SOL, obscure billing of inflated and non-itemized amounts.

• La
    Laussie Nov 07, 2009

I too am getting repeated collection harassment from these people saying I owe $79.00. I provided them a copy of my final bill which was paid in full and they admit that but cannot explain why I owe $79.00 nor can they provide me a detailed explanation of the debt. I work for a law firm and will get them involved if necessary.

• Sh
    Shirley Corbett Apr 28, 2010

Received "attempt to collect a debt" letter from AFNI regarding a SPRINT account which I never had. I have NEVER had a SPRINT ACCOUNT.

Afni, inc. account #[protected]-01

jacee Feb 02, 2011

As a debt collector myself, I would like to point out that a) AFNI doesn't have the technological ability to text you, they can't even email you for Pete's sake, and b) check with the Better Business Bureau about AFNI Inc, I'm pretty sure they disagree with everything you crazy, lazy, and irresposible consumers have put up. #1 either pay your bills or shut up when you end up in collections, or #2 consider that it is possible someone in the world has used your information and you should politely cooperate to get an account closed as fruad, or #3 even consider that you aren't perfect, may have missed a bill, and actually pay it. If not then shut up and find something better to do than sit around all day posting about how awful a company is

• Fd
    FDL_HOU Feb 02, 2011

Nice try you idiot. Ever heard of the statue of limitations..oh great debt collector ###?

• Fd
    FDL_HOU Feb 02, 2011

Richard, this debt regardless if valid or not is probably beyond the statute of limiations (SOL), depending on the state the debt 'alledgedly occurred. However, you are not out of the woods, just yet. You still need to send AFNI a registered return-receipt letter withing 30 days of notice that you received concerning this debt stating you are contesting the debt and want them to provide verifiable proof that this debt is owed within 30 days of receipt of the letter. It's a good idea to google FDCPA and know your rights and not listen to bottom feeders like jacee. I notice she states she is from Bloomington, IL which more than likely means she works for this ###. BBB has plenty of complaints against these bottom feeding trash companies like AFNI. AFNI is infamous for buying debts that are outdated because they are ignorant losers.

Jamie Coulter Mar 15, 2011

I had paid my Qwest phone bill off months ago when I switched over to my local cable company. That was in Jan. of 2011. I recieved a collection notice today the 14th of March, 2011. It claims that I owe Qwest $254.94, but they are willing to settle for half of that which is $127.47. In order to settle my account and that they would consider the matter paid in full.

• Xi
    Xiao Li Mar 27, 2011

Received $281 collection notice for a bill from Sprint. I have never had an account with Sprint or been associated with the company in any way.