Menu
ABSA Bank Customer Service Phone, Email, Contacts

ABSA Bank
reviews and complaints

www.absa.co.za

Learn how the rating is calculated

1.2 1161 Reviews

How responsive is ABSA Bank's customer service?

54 Resolved
1107 Unresolved
Very poor 🤒
We don't know much about how ABSA Bank handles customer complaints outside ComplaintsBoard, but what we see here, on our website, is quite disappointing. We think there might be reasons for the company's actions (like not knowing about the complaints), and we would be happy to see them among customer-focused businesses that easily solve customer problems. But until that happens, we ask reviewers to be cautious when dealing with ABSA Bank and using their services, and to carefully read the experiences of other customers on ComplaintsBoard, because who is warned is armed, you know! 💪
Verified
The authenticity of the customer service contact information for ABSA Bank has been meticulously verified by representatives from ComplaintsBoard using our proprietary verification system.
Claim Your Business
Take control of your profile: address complaints and engage with reviews
Write a review File a complaint

ABSA Bank reviews and complaints 1161

Sort by:

Newest ABSA Bank reviews and complaints

3:41 am EDT

ABSA Bank Absa Trust handling of estate

Since my mother's death was reported, Lorraine Shongwe of Absa Trust(not even the executor, just a secretary!), has tried to enrich herself and her friends off it, to the severe detriment of the heirs.
De Wet Reitz attorneys, bideasy auctioneers...we'll still see who crawls out the woodwork next.

Do not leave your estate in the hands of these lying thieves.

Don't fall for the "free" will

If you can imagine our government in bank form... that's Absa.

estate 6142/2020

Desired outcome: I hope they all burn in hell

2:59 am EDT

ABSA Bank cheque account

I opened this account in April 2021. I received my salary in it for 2 months and due to covid, lost my monthly income. I have been called constantly with demands of payment for R732, 94 which is completely unacceptable! I want to close this account and forget I ever had any dealings with ABSA. I will be able to manage payment on the original amount of R200 (whatever the amount was before I lost my income) in order to close this account. I can make the payment on the 30th of this month and then be done with ABSA.

B
1:56 am EDT

ABSA Bank Car finance paid up letter

Nobody is attending this issue since we've been trying to get a lost vehicle paid up letter
[protected] please assist

Desired outcome: Send letter on this email

View 0 more photos
V
4:28 am EDT

ABSA Bank Bond cancellation

I am struggling to get any response from an ABSA consultant/private banker. I have been trying to get a guarantee cancelled and the title deeds in ABSA's possession to a property that I had previously bonded, but is now fully paid. It has taken more than 6 months to get the bond cancelled and now I cannot get the deeds. The service has declined so dramatically in the past 12 months that I am seriously considering changing banks after being with ABSA for 45 years.

Desired outcome: Someone from the bank responds to me

6:48 am EDT

ABSA Bank Credit kaart

My wife has been trying to get her Absa Credit cancelled after we have settled the amount owed. She is battling to get this resolved. Every time she has been trying to get help from the call centre we get transferred to a different department. She has been harassed by getting treated if she does not pay the amount of R50 she owns on the card she will be taking to the credit bureau Not sure if this is service fees of the kind. But she has told a few times already that she does not want the card active anymore.

I have phoned ones and getting transferred without asking and then I get the phone call hanging up.

I do not understand why this is so difficult to sort out on the phone.
We are in the times of COVID-19 why does she need to go into an ABSA branch to get this sorted out.

Please can you assist in getting the matter sorted out?

My Wife ID No. [protected].
Cell No. [protected]
Email: [protected]@yahoo.com / [protected]@durbanvillegemeente.co.za

My Email: [protected]@adpgroup.com
Cell No. [protected]
Work No. [protected]

Regards
Carel Krige

Desired outcome: Getting this Credit Card account cancelled.

6:36 am EDT

ABSA Bank Kempton Park ABSA branch.

So if you enter inside the bank you will never be assisted. So what are banks for. I waited for 30 minutes in a queue then I was told we do not deposit less than the stated amount go outside. So inside after standing a long queue you'll never be assisted. Kempton Park ABSA branch has the worst service ever, and they are very rude. I was really disappointed by the treatment I got from the bank teller.

Desired outcome: Improve how they operate with the clients

L
1:39 pm EDT

ABSA Bank Service

The Service at Absa bank southgate sucks I came in for a simple inquiry and I have been waiting for 1h15min and I am still not helped.

B
4:19 am EDT

ABSA Bank Investment Payout

Good Morning

I regret the day i referred my mother to invest her money at ABSA Bank. My mum has rested and my sister received a letter of authority and was appointed as an executor5 of my mother's estates. We submitted everything and opened an Estates Account at ABSA Bank Mimosa Mall Bloemfontein in August 2021. To date we have not received anything, we are told ABSA wants to confirm with Master of High Court, yet other banks, FNB and Nedbank have paid already. I took an initiative and went to Master of High Court and they told me that the ABSA Consultants are talking nonsense because we have submitted the letter of appointment of executor.
I am so disappointed at the service we are receiving at ABSA. I want to urge everyone "DO NOT INVEST AT ABSA". When my mum was doing an investment i was with her and she made my sister a Beneficiary at ABSA in Aliwal North. All of a sudden when she passes on there is no longer a beneficiary.

Desired outcome: Call [protected] and please attend to the matter urgently

S
9:23 am EDT

ABSA Bank Fraud department

I am called to resolve a query, asked random "computer generated" question which I conveniently do not pass in order to go to the branch - when I needed urgent assistance to rectify an issue they created!

They cancel my cellphone banking service because they detected suspicious activity on this pas Sunday - which I clarified to them was not suspicious activity, as I did the same transaction on that previous Saturday
And when I asked to be speak to a senior, they tell me "one moment while I get someone" and they disconnect the call.

This is the FRAUDS Department - that is so direspecful and incompetent.
I am tired of all these South African banks that cannot take pride in the service they provide!
FRAUD ... chase up the real criminals with HUGE transcactions that are suspicious and leave the lower class/middle class alone! When I cleared up what the activity was for ... causing me further inconvenience!

Desired outcome: I want my service activated!

Update by Suzetta
Sep 13, 2021 9:25 am EDT

Thabo is his name, btw.

12:31 pm EDT

ABSA Bank I direct car insurance

I Mashamba Mukondeleli contact no. [protected] of ID no [protected].

I placed a claim of a third-party and my car in April of a accident that happened in February. I tried several times to get helped out until I asked assistance from my legal team talking to their legal team a third party claim was paid.

Continued with follow ups to get my car fixed till to date I keep on getting promises that they will come back to me and the matter is sent to their boss nothing is happening.

May you kindly assist me as the very same insurance is continuing debiting money from my account but no service recieved.

Thanks in advance.
Mashamba ML.

Desired outcome: My car getting repaired

View 0 more photos
P
11:52 am EDT

ABSA Bank Closing account and bank charges

Towards the end of May 2021 I visited the Gardens branch of ABSA Bank to close my account. I stood in a longish queue where there was ONLY ONE bank employee serving general enquiries. Whilst there were three employees serving the teller section with no clients in the bank during the period I was in there. The person on the enquiry counter was taking an age and (with COVID in mind) and the fact that I had another appointment I decided to write a letter of my intention to close the account.
I handed this to the branch manageress and was told to stand in the queue to complete the process. I told her that I could not wait and that she could execute my instruction as per my SIGNED letter.
This was obviously NOT DONE as I started receiving calls asking for payment of what would have been fees for the months after I had attempted to close the account.
I emailed Absa setting out the story above and received a reply indicating that I should revisit the branch and ask the manageress to resolve the issue. This I did but detected resistance from her. I thought it was due to my attempt to bypass her system and she had taken offence. I felt that she was not going to co-operate in what can only be described as spite!
I assume that there were bank charges to be paid for the month of May but have NEVER received any request to pay this amount. All I get is calls from a debt collection department. I have tried to explain to them what had happened but they seem unable to conclude this matter.
That is why I have approached you.
Mrs Patricia Perloff

Desired outcome: Bank charges written off and no more 'phone calls

Read full review of ABSA Bank and 1 comment
1 comment
R
R
Rina van Dyk
Pretoria, ZA
Nov 04, 2021 11:27 am EDT

Absa Pta North was closed for 2 months to upgrade the bank. It opened on 26 October 2021 again. After they opened you could not do any cash deposits at the ATM. I went to the bank again today (4/11/2021) just to find out that it can still not do cash deposits. Why can't they make sure before they open again that everything is working properly or is client service no option?
Mrs R v Dyk

2:24 am EDT

ABSA Bank absa credit card service offer

hi good morning sir/madam just recievd a call from a lady at absa tel: [protected]. offering a increase where absa will evaluate to increase my credit limit after a year . i told the lady im not intrested at the moment as i want to pay it all up. (PLEASE ABSA TEACH YOUR STAFF MANNNERS DONT JUST DROP THE PHONE ) on clients so unprofessional. not impressed at all . thank you.

6:46 pm EDT

ABSA Bank Mobile app

The mobile app does not work. And yet it is a requirement for certain transactions. The app insists on sending a verification sms to my phone. My phone details are logged correctly on my profile and yet the sms never arrives. And so I cannot do certain transactions...like buying electricity! Even when logged in on internet banking, the sms verification is sent to my phone, but the phone app is not picking it up. The call center is useless...not only was she disinterested in my query, but she was of no help at all. Absa...after 30 years of banking with you...I am done!

Desired outcome: Fix this [censored]

W
3:11 am EDT

ABSA Bank Insurance review

I phone absa indirect to enquire about the 20% increase on my monthly insurance premium, it was R1114, 52 and increase to R1337, 83. I phone absa and was holding the line for 20 minutes just to speak to the review department nobody answer and so my R60 airtime run out. Thus is really poor service delivery. I can be contacted through email: [protected]@gmail.com
Date: 2021/09/02

E
2:56 am EDT

ABSA Bank Frozen debit card

Absa decided to freeze my card for a non fraudulent transaction and only provides phone numbers that are non toll free to resolve the problem. No one responds to emails to provide any assistance and the report fraud feature on the app is laughably atrocious as it rings for minutes and there is no one on the other side once it stops ringing. I must now walk to a bank on Saturday to try resolve as this as I cannot buy petrol or airtime, thank you very much ABSA.

Desired outcome: Unfreeze debit card

N
6:44 am EDT

ABSA Bank Paid up letter

Good day.

I have paid my account in full 3 months back and I have been sending numerous emails for my name to be removed as a default payer and requested the paid up letter.My ID number :[protected] and my name is Nthabeleng Melama.

I would like to be told of when will my query be attended and sorted because it's very frustrating when you call with no luck.

Read full review of ABSA Bank and 1 comment
1 comment
mm springbok
Kimberley, ZA
Sep 30, 2021 5:39 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I am experiencing the same problem. NO RESPONCE on emails, I was told telephonically that my account does not exist anymore, there is no record under my ID of ABSA CREDIT CARD anymore. credit card Account number:[protected].

This is the only account that is holding my Financial freedom. I have lost trust in this bank. their service sucks!
How on earth is it possible that Absa is unable to retrieve a customer's information to issue a PAID UP LETTER?

G
2:30 pm EDT

ABSA Bank Unlawful journal debit

Absa debit my account without my knowledge and now my debit orders my rent cannot go off they did not even make arrangements with me to do it how ruthless is it in a time that we are going through the hardest times of our life they took so much money my children are already barely eating and they do this I closed my cheaque account the day I went on debt review and now the penilise me for trying to get my life in order the consultants don't do their work properly everytime I stand in long queuest going there to ask them to sort this cheaque account out they promise me it fine please reverse my money as soon as possible as my rent is going off on the 1st and then the money will not be enough I hope these people who do this will think about what all of us are going through or are they just spiteful

Desired outcome: Money put back in my account

S
10:03 am EDT

ABSA Bank Unfairly charged

I opened an current account few months ago and I don't understand why m being charged like that
First month i was R339
And now m charged R659 of which I was not informed and don't understand how m charged for admin fees close to R450
Can you kindly check as m requesting a refund
Id no:[protected]
Contact no:[protected]
Email:[protected]@gmail.com

Desired outcome: Refund

5:06 pm EDT

ABSA Bank Non-payment of cash settlement amount

Policy No. [protected], Claim No. 3809828
The policyholder died in 2014 (my grandfather), leaving the property to his wife (my grandmother). The executor of my grandfather's estate (my mother) died in June 2020 (intestate and I am her only child). My grandmother also subsequently died (the new registered owner of the property) in June 2020. I (as her granddaughter) was appointed the executor of her estate and (once the property is transferred) would become the owner of the insured property.
As I wished to keep the property insured, I kept the premiums up to date. A claim for a burst geyser was registered with HOC in 2020 (the first ever claim since the policy taken out). All outstanding documents were provided including the letter of executorship for my grandmother's estate which I was told was the only document outstanding.
Other than confirmation of receipt of all the documents I have not received any substantive feedback regarding the claim. Due to the poor customer service received to date, I am left believing that due to this policy expiring at the beginning of September 2021 (if not renewed) that no response will be forthcoming as they will cite that the policy has lapsed and thus they will have no need to honour my claim.
To prevent such blatant lack of interest and professionalism going unchecked, I wish to make this complaint in an attempt to get a response.

Desired outcome: Payment of agreed cash settlement amount

12:19 am EDT

ABSA Bank NBC Arusha Tanzania

Dear team
I wish to communicate with someone re a unauthorized removal of funds from our cooperate account with NBC, by the bank itself, im not getting anywhere with the employees here, we have been clients of NBC since 1997 and am now ready to close our account due to this situation.
Please send me a e mail contact of someone who can assist
Regards
A.P.Phillps

[protected]@basecamptanzania.com
+[protected]

Desired outcome: Return of our company's funds

ABSA Bank In-depth Review

Overview: ABSA Bank is a well-established financial institution with a rich history in the banking industry. It offers a wide range of services and products to cater to the diverse needs of its customers.

Customer Service: ABSA Bank prides itself on providing excellent customer service. The bank's customer support channels, including phone, email, and live chat, are readily available and responsive. Customers can expect efficient resolution of their queries and issues.

Online Banking Experience: ABSA Bank's website is user-friendly and easy to navigate. It offers a seamless online banking experience with a variety of features such as account management, fund transfers, and bill payments. The bank also implements robust security measures to protect customer information and transactions.

Account Options: ABSA Bank offers a wide range of account types, including savings, current, and investment accounts. Each account type comes with its own set of features and benefits. The bank specifies minimum balance requirements, fees, and charges associated with each account.

Interest Rates and Fees: ABSA Bank offers competitive interest rates on savings and investment accounts. The bank ensures transparency and clarity in its fee structures for various services such as withdrawals and transfers. Customers can compare ABSA Bank's rates and fees with other banks in the industry.

Loan and Credit Products: ABSA Bank provides a comprehensive range of loan and credit products, including personal loans, home loans, and credit cards. The bank offers competitive interest rates, flexible repayment terms, and clearly defines eligibility criteria for each product. Customers generally express satisfaction with the loan application and approval process.

Branch Network: ABSA Bank has a wide coverage of branches and ATMs, ensuring accessibility for its customers. The bank's branches are equipped with excellent facilities, and the staff is known for their professionalism. Self-service options such as ATMs and mobile banking are also available for customers' convenience.

Mobile Banking: ABSA Bank's mobile banking app is highly rated for its performance and functionality. Users appreciate its features and find it convenient to use. The app is also integrated with other digital platforms, providing a seamless banking experience.

Corporate Social Responsibility: ABSA Bank actively engages in various initiatives and contributions towards social and environmental causes. The bank demonstrates a strong commitment to ethical practices and sustainability. It maintains transparency in reporting and communication of its CSR efforts.

Overall Reputation and Trustworthiness: ABSA Bank enjoys a solid reputation in the banking industry and among its customers. The bank is known for its trustworthiness and reliability in delivering its services. Positive ratings and reviews from users and industry experts further validate its reputation.

Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

Contact ABSA Bank customer service

Phone numbers

+27 860 008 600 +27 860 557 557 More phone numbers

Website

Our Commitment

We stand for unbiased reviews

We help resolving issues

We advocate freedom of speech

We ensure transparent and fair ratings

We care about your privacy

We are easy, free and open to everyone

Is ComplaintsBoard.com associated with ABSA Bank?

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with ABSA Bank Customer Service. Initial ABSA Bank complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for ABSA Bank above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about ABSA Bank. Discuss the issues you have had with ABSA Bank and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.