Having problems with ABSA Bank?

+27 860 008 600 (General Enquiries)
+27 860 557 557 (Fraud Hotline)
+27 800 414 141 (Complaint Resolution Suite)
+27 115 015 050 (Lost & Stolen Cards)
+27 115 015 110 (Digital Banking)
+27 113 354 019 (Retail International Banking)
+27 860 109 085 (Credit Cards (Premium)
+27 861 114 411 (Credit Cards (Gold Card)
+27 861 788 888 (Absa Rewards)
+27 860 111 630 (Car Insurance)
+27 861 227 284 (Travel Insurance)
+27 113 504 000 (Head Office, Johannesburg)
7th Floor, Barclays Towers, West 15 Troye Street
Johannesburg
South Africa - 5241
Locations

Retail International Banking
Service Centre
170 Main Street, Johannesburg, 2001

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with ABSA Bank.

Complaints & Reviews

ABSA Banklong delay on phone answering

I did a swift transfer Friday the 4th .The money is out of my UK account but not showing in my South African account. upon trying to phone international forex division . the message was we value your call(20 times) so obviously not .Also 'We are experiencing high call volumes' when have they not??'It would be fairer to say we are too mean to employ enough people to answer the phone we would rather get you to spend your money on the phone.

ABSA iDirect — car insurance

Hi All. Its with deep regret that I have to send this email, but I feel that it is necessary. I have been...

ABSA — illegal advertising of sex services

I was on facebook and stumbled on this ABSA employee on facebook by chance. She is an ABSA employee in...

ABSAharassment

Made a late payment to Absa instead o f paying on 28/09 I paid
    on 30/09. As from 12/10 I start receiving phone calls that I had not
    paid my account. The more I explained the more calls I received.
    telecalls 12/10 14/10 15/10 17/10 and 18/10. This upset me terribly as my next installment due date was 25/10.
    Today 18/10 I receive another statement due date 02/11 and the
    installment due has doubled. How can they send two statements
    1 dated 28/09 due 25/10 and the other 29/09 to 06/10 due 02/11
    and then decide to harrass me for another payment?

• Ms
        MS03 Oct 18, 2011

I am having the same problem with Absa where they are phoning me
        every 2nd day due to a late payment. Its not that I havent paid and they are harassing me. I have now received two statements 1 due 25/10 another due 02/11 and they have doubled my installment.

• Ro
        Rozz Atanassova Oct 27, 2011

Thank you very much for your feedback. Please note that we are active on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/Absa.Bank
        ) and we encourage you to engage with us there, alternatively please e-mail your details to [protected]@absa.co.za and we will get in touch with you

ABSA Private Security Provident Fund — provident fund

My name is Lloyd Oliver I have been trying to get my provident fund from ABSA for over a month now. My...

ABSA iDirectcar insurance claim

I am very angry and dissatisfied with the servive rendered by Absa Idirect, my car was involved in an accident on the 4th of July 2011, it took more than a month to get authorization, the pennel beater in Louis trichadt(makhado) released the car unfinished, the car was hit infront and at the back, the pennel beater only fixed the front part, the back part is not done infact it was made worse because the screws which the pennel beater took out of the car were not even replaced, I am unsatisfied with this shody service. The courtesy car was offered for two weeks and extended for another two weeks, i do not understand how do i travel for three months without transport, now i am taking back the car to the penel beater, i do not have transport. CAN SOMEBODY HELP IN THIS SITUATION, I THINK IS NOT ON, i am frustrated, i had thought taking insurance will help during crisis but i think your service is adding more stress and frustration.

• Mi
          Mike Jacobson Oct 04, 2011

I totally agree with you. I have also been waiting for over a month to get authorization, and everytime I try to contact contact the loss adjustor who's handling my claim he never answer!
          I'm in a position where I dont have a clue as to what is happening with my claim. This definately has to be the worst insurance company ever!!!

• Ig
          I govender Apr 01, 2015

I am currently having the same issues with ABSA idirect

ABSA Checque Accountno service

FROM:
        • [protected]@absa.co.za
        TO:
        • [protected]@rocketmail.com
        Message flagged
        Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:09 PM

REF : [protected]

I applied for an ABSA Checque account online. Also see ref no and date that ABSA sent reply message, above. Received e-mail confirmation, but I had to call ABSA on numerous occasions myself, for follow up and could not be assited, up to date. I have been sent from pilar to post to get a response, and I am still awaiting a reply or any response from ABSA bank. (Please check your so-called recorded data). This is not the first time I am having trouble with service delivery at ABSA. Neither is this my first complaint lodged.

I congratulate ABSA bank, once more, for NON-Service Excellence!! Well DONE guys, keep it up!!

As of 2009, since my earliest encounter with your bad service, we succesfully managed to encourage 14 clients to bank at real banks, and will send this message to all small business owners. As a small fish in a big pond, the big pond has numerously warned me about ABSA bank. Now I can see why hundreds of clients are moving their businesses to other banks. Thanks again for this eye-opener!

To date, ABSA had not care to follow up with my application for a checque account. It seems that they don't need new business or they simply don't care.

Believe me, this trend does not go unnoticed by large companies and wealthy potential clients for ABSA.

Don't even bother to respond to this message. I know that you will ONLY give me a ref no, for lodging a complaint, and that is where it ends...!!! Rather check the statistics on your client declination!!

My regrets,
        Johan Prinsloo
        [protected]

ABSA Bankemployees taking money to bars

I was having an afternoon drink a while back and a lady by the name of Beulah(I believe her surname is Muller, but I'm not sure) was there. Well, I witnessed something that did NOT impress me as I also bank with ABSA and that could have been my money. While there she had a very big bank bag with her, with quite a bit of money in it, she was flaunting it around and showing all her friends what she had taken home with her. What if someone, not so nice had seen her, and decided to attack her and take all that money? Like I said it could also have been my money. Also, while there, I got to talking to some of her friends and found out that, she goes into their bank accounts and checks their balances and does stuff for them that is not so savoury. I also heard that she exchanges money (I know you need a passport and airplane ticket to get international money) for them without the sufficient paper work. I am in general NOT a complainer, but this has been bothering me for quite sometime now and finally I just thought it best to say something. I am also seriously contemplating changing banks as this is unacceptable behaviour for a bank employee. I'm also wondering if it's not perhaps a good idea to take this to the newspapers as other people should know about this and that ABSA is letting their employees get away with stuff like this.

ABSA Trust — violation of human rights

My wife, 5 year old daughter and I stay in a house we built – out of our pocket with our money with...

ABSA Home Loansunfair treatment

Being a loyal absa client for 10 to 15 years, left me in great dissapointment. On the 10th of June 2011, i applied for the further loan to do the rennovations on my property.The application dragged for a very long period, though i was promised it will only take 3 to 5 working days. In that long waiting period, on the 27/06/2011 i was then called, and dissapointedly, not even approved on what i put on the table, far less than that. I then, the following day declined the offer. On the 4th of July 2011, i decided to go to absa branch in pretoria north, and i was told, the small offer was due to the evaluation of my existing property, which i dont know how was it done, cos no one came and did that at my place. The consultant in Pretoria North adviced me to reapply, but really this left me with just dissappointment as i know im also paying R2800.00 more in my existing bond. I am also considering leaving ABSA BANK and market the better BANK with better services.

ABSAcannot logon

I am trying to logon to the internet banking, but for the last week I cannot get onto the internet bank website

• Ph
                  Phumlile Sovendle Jun 27, 2011

I am trying to logon to the internet banking but caanot as it state that I must check my access acount or pin or user of which they are all correct according to me.

• Me
                  Meagan Davids Jun 28, 2011

iI am trying to access my internet banking account but it keeps tellin me to use a valid account number and pin. Acoording to me I have entered the correct numbers.

• Bj
                  B J Steyn Jul 01, 2011

My password has been blocked and therefore I cannot access my account.
                  Please fix this now (as in immediately!!)
                  My cell number is [protected].
                  I am waiting for your explanation/phonecall.

B J Steyn

• Ri
                  RIETTE MULDER Jul 08, 2011

Ek probeer ook al die afgelope week by Absa se internetbankdienste uitkom, maar tevergeefs!! Ek het ook 'n week terug by 'n ATM R60.00 se MTN-telefoontyD gekoop wat nounog nie op die foon gelaai is nie. Absa amptenaar in Brackenfelltak se ek moet dit met MTN uitklaar.. WAT GAAN AAN MET JUL DIENS ABSA????? R. Mulder

• Lj
                  L J Swanepoel Jul 26, 2011

I can not find the Absa logon page on internet????

• Mo
                  Motlalepule Phete Jul 27, 2011

I cant logon to my absa internet banking and is been months, all i need is the pin to access my account via internet.

ABSA Bankcredit card

Dear Absa
                Two weeks ago I was contacted by your call centre for an application for a credit card. Afterwards I was told that the application was succesfull and that the Knysna branch would contact me on delivery of my credit card.
                Three days later ...I got the call and was told that I had to bring my ID book and fetch my card. After standing nearly an hour in line I was told everything is fine but they need a proof of residence and a pay slip.Once again I complied. After standing for nearly another hour and a half in line I was taken one side and told that my paperwork is not right and that everything is still fine but that I should keep on trying because they want me to be part of the family. Now I want to know why do you guys tell a person everything is fine and then we must nearly beg you to give us the cards that was already approved.

Vaughn Smit
                Area Manager
                Western Cape
                Email: [protected]@rossieng.co.za
                Cell: [protected]

ABSA Bankdouble bank charge

On 26 May 2011 double bank charges was taken off my account. I called Absa bank, they said they would rectifiy the problem. My bank statement still shows the double bank charge and the error was not rectified. I will go to Absa bank on 1 June 2011 after my debit orders have come off and the double bank charge rectified to close my account.

ABSA Bankservice

It is with utter shock and sadness that I write this complaint, My father has been a client of Absa for approximately forty years. In this time he has used many of the absa products and services available, home loans, cheque accounts, overdraughts, business banking and trust accounts to name a few. In the last few weeks our family has suffered a financial crisis. My father approached absa today to ask for help as it has become obvious that he will not be receiving an income for the next few months. His PRIMARY property is paid up and he has decided to put the house on the market. When he approached absa today, they very bluntly told him its not their problem? I read the absa website and was looking at the extensive list of services absa has to offer, and it became glaringly obvious, that giving a hoot, was not one of them! Forty years of loyalty? To Absa, how do you justify this?

GiGi White May 26, 2011

He has realised that he will not be able to honour his debit orders for a few months (+- R8000) and asked them if they could help him. They told him its not their problem, because of his age and lack of income they were not interested. They would however not charge him any fees when the debit order bounces.

GiGi White May 27, 2011

His income has come to a halt, he is not spending anything or asking for "spending" money. We need debit orders covered and those are not luxuries, its medical aid and insurances.we also don't need the help forever. He is selling his property that is worth 900 thousand and he doesn't owe anything on it. Surely they could use that as security towards the whole 40 000 he is asking for. He has never once in the 45 yrs of banking with them been in this position. He is 63 and can't just walk out the door and get work. Surely somewhere they can even TRY negotiate to even help him just pay medical? My mother is recovering from cancer and cannot afford to not have medical, that is 2600 per month AGAIN its not millions we need to go splashing out, its for a short while to survive?

GiGi White May 27, 2011

Its just frustrating that for 45 years he has been a loyal customer of this bank, used every service available to him that they offered. The plan for his retirement was to sell his house when it is paid up. He has been running a small company for about four years and that fell apart a few weeks ago so selling the house has become immenent. Its just that now that he is old and almost not "worth" anything they refuse to help? It is the spirit of entitlement, because in my opinion if you are loyal to an institute your whole life, the least they can do is hear you out when you need help. My other question is that when his property is sold and he is in posession of the money, does he still remain loyal? Would they still not take the time to listen to him when he needs help?l

• Go
                        Goldreef Village Jan 17, 2012

Overdraft facility
                        1. On December 9th 2011 we applied for bridging finance of R 160 000.00
                        2. On January 10th 2012 we were informed that the facility has been approved.
                        3. Copies of rules and regulations were requested and delivered to your Brakpan branch a few days later.
                        4. This morning we were informed that the facility has not yet been loaded? What is inferred? Do we have the facility or not?
                        Please respond by return

DJ Bester
                        Chairman
                        Goldreef Village

• Ha
                        Hannatjie Delport Jun 13, 2016

A few months ago ABSA asked for new FICA documents. Firstly it was not necessary as we did not change anything on the account. We did give them then all the FICA, but twice a month my account get blocked. It is a business account of a guest house and the manager stood stranded at the till with all groceries bought for breakfast. This is now getting very annoying and all I get from ABSA is apologies for inconvenience and then it just happens again.
                        I think my next step in Carte Blanche or I do not know what.

ABSAno payment

I had my bedroom flooded in the 1st week feb 2011 due to a geyser valve. On contacting absa, they agreed that i could engage a contractor immediately for the repairs. This was done, the invoices were sent to absa - and i waited. Last week they sent someone to give me a quote - yes, last week! It is now 4 may 2011, i have called them 4 times (Wait 15mins to get through) & written 3 emails. Everytime promises are made that they will sort out the problem. . . But i'm still waiting. Today i received a settlement form for someone else!!! What sort of company is this? I most certainly will be moving my insurance when i eventually get my payment.

jabulani Aug 14, 2011

I am just about going to join this company but already i can see "cracks" on the service. First of all i asked to be send the contract (terms and condition) documentation to familiarize myself with. I was denied as they told me that first i had to give my personal details including my bank account. Also on the first call there was not disclosure that there was an extra "joining" once off charge. This was disclosed once i have agreed to give my bank account and cancelled my other car insurance company.
                          Once i got the documentation i called them to discuse few clauses that worried me ...i was told kindly that it was going to take care of and they shoudl CONFIRM by e-mail as what we did agreed on our telephono conversation.
                          So far nothing has happen. So i find the service not up to standard at all and certainly not CLIENT FRIENDLY.

ABSA Bankprovident fund

My husband Sipho Dingela applied for HIS provident find on December 2017 at Greenacres in Port Elizabeth.Up until now he has'nt been paid his money.When he went to Greenacres 2 months later they said the money is on payment in Gauteng so he must wait for the next Friday, on the following week they said he must call Gauteng Province, He found Portia who said she will take the matter on to her hands then he called again, Portia said he must wait for the next friday as theres nothing she can do the money is on payment.When my husband called last friday they said Portia ia on switchboard, he can not ask for her.What can he do to get HIS MONEY? its FOUR months now and he's been told the same story "wait for the next friday, the money is on payment".I'm very dissapointed with Absa as everyone now says theres nothing we can do, your money depends on poeple from payment!is it Absa who is responsible for provident funds or people from payments?

• He
                            Helen Kassa Jun 24, 2011

Difficult to explain what happened for my account in Pretoria main ABSA bank branch, I just found it is frozen trying to pay for staffs I wanted to shop in Spur. No warning, no message, no calls, just shutting down peoples account like that. After submitting details for the update they say they will do in one day, came to find out the leady who is going to update my account is out for lunch, what can we say!

• Gl
                            Glen Mpisi Jul 07, 2011

I'm very disappointed with your service becouse I had made my claim on february and still u have not come back to me. your service is very poor you need to pick it up a little bit.

• Cl
                            CLINTY Aug 16, 2012

ABSA PROV FUND, MANAGER MATSUVISI HAS BEEN DUCKING AND DIVING FROM ME FOR WEEKS NOW, SHE HAS TOLD ME THAT DUE TO THE CALL CENTER NOT SUBMITTING MY CLAIM WHEN THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO, THEY APPARENTLY FORGOT TO DO WHAT THE SUPPOSED TO, SHE TOLD ME THAT SHE WILL BE TAKING OVER THE CLAIM AS THE MISTAKE COMES FROM THE THE CALL CENTER, SHE HAS NOW PASSED THE BUCK AND THE AGENT IS COMPLETELY CLUE LESS, I HAVE NOW BEEN PUT ON HOLD FOR ALMOST 4 MONTHS ...WHAT DO I DO THE CALL CENTER NUMBER IS [protected], PLEAS ASSIST ME

PSSPF ABSA — claims

Sent in my claim on the 28the of december 2010 and only recieved part of my money still waiting for the...

ABSA Homeowners Insurance — waiting 2 months just for an answer

A water pipe burst in our wall on the 13th FEb 2011. Tbhey sent someone out to repair the burst water pipe on...

ABSAhome loan department

In 2008 I saw a land that I definetely liked and it was selling at R360 000, and approached ABSA to assist with the finance, and they providedd finance of R300 000 which meant I had to pay upfront R60 000 as a deposit. I had no problem with that cos I really liked the land.

Since then, I tried applying for building loan with no success, I do not understand this because the bank assisted with finance to purchase the land but they do not want to assist with finance to build a house in the land. What am I suppose to do with the land...come on ABSA

ABSAstrange behavior from absa and its service provider

In Jan 2010, I lodged a claim with ABSa due to storm damages. A sms was sent to me that my claim number was 1653365 and that was all the communication I ever received. I called on numerous occassions and found out that Sandra was handling my claim. Sandra never has the time to ever speak to me personally or email me when she promises to do so. After a number of calls a company called close up deals was sent to the property and was inspected by the 'driver' After waiting for 4 days and getting no feedback, I called ABSA but could not get to speak to Sandra, when I demanded to speak to her she took my call and told me my claim was rejected and a letter will be sent to tell me why. I received no letter to date. I was then contacted by Close Up Deals owners ir FrankPeter and told that certain repairs are rejected and some approved. This company came and did a little work for a few hours on two occassions. They simply stated that ABSA does not approve replacement but rather repair (even Abestos Gutters and masonite doors) on the 3rd they removed my bath & toilet doors and did not return. I contact ABSA on [protected] and spoke to Sandra who did not email again.