AARP Servicesaarp #2039

D

I live in a senior rent subsidized apartment complex. A flyer listing trips by a group using the AARP name was sent out in June 2016. On the form it said to get your $100 deposit in as soon as possible as seats go quick. I had picked out a trip to Lancaster, PA dated for November of 2017 - a year and a half away. No where on my paperwork does it say you will lose your deposit. Thanksgiving of 2016 I found out my niece became engaged and it is the same week as the trip she will be marrying. Being on disability and having a limited income I am unable to do both. I asked the AARP #2039 for my money returned and they have refused - They said i have to wait until the trip goes and if the bus is filled then i will get the money back, but if the bus doesn't fill they use it towards the trip and i lose my money. This trip is a year away. I don't understand how they can hold onto money for a year and a half, collect interest on it. I have contacted the better business bureau and they also agree but they won't do anything. I have told many people in my complex about this scam and they are also saying it's terrible - many said "this is why i don't belong to AARP because I've heard of this happening before" AARP is suppose to help seniors and seniors with financial issues, not keep their money. I could see keeping my money if i cancelled a few months before, but over a year before???? Outrageous. This has completely turned me off of AARP and i will not renew my membership if this is not taken care of. I'm not even a member of this local group and I don't know any of them, so i am really at a disadvantage. I've been scammed and it's up to you to salvage the AARP name. Their contact is [removed], Kingston AARP chapter 2039
[removed]. My contact is [removed]