Having problems with AARP Services?

1888 687 2277 (English)
SatClosed
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

rip off

The AARP evolved from an insurance company consumers group to an organization dedicated to serving the interests of Senior Citizens. It has done a remarkably good job of letting Seniors know what is going on in Washington and whistle-blowing public and private items that are not in our best interests. Then the AARP endorsed Government Health Care, saying it would lower our insurance costs, raise Medicare benefits and lower Medicare costs. The opposite is true. Insurance costs are already rising and we are facing a decrease in Medicare benefits and government financing. AARP is looking forward to increased insurance commissions. What a rip-off from an organization claiming to be a senior-citizen guardian.

• Kr
    Kristin Aug 22, 2010

I am 54 and disabled joined aarp for life insurance and medicare sup insurance that BS about guaranteed acceptance I have to go some where else for insurance aarp ***.I filled out all the forms that they sent me for life insurance for me and my wife they will insure my wife but not me they called me up and told me that they were getting me an underwriter and it would take a few minutes and they would call me back. Two week later still waiting.AS far as a supplemental for Medicare you have to be sixty five or older.Stay away from aarp American association for ripping off people

• Ke
    Kenneth M. Jan 23, 2015

About 10 years ago I applied for and i accepted a quote for auto insurance. They saved me about 100 dollars. Then the next year they sent me a bill for nearly double the amount. When I called to find out why they said Hawaii was an extreme situation. I immediately call my previous carriers GEICO, and renewed with them at a lower cost than previously . Does aarp condone this practice or make money from it. Am I the exception or the rule or is this your way of subsidising you incomes.. Please respond.

• Bh
    BHAL555 Oct 22, 2015

The same just happened to me my yearly aarp hartford auto ins. Increased by over 300.00 i called my ins. Broker and got the same coverage from travelers for 600.00 less per year. It seems insurance companies are only competitive if you get multi-bids every year!!!

• Ka
    Kathleen Mcclain Jul 20, 2018

I switched to AARP as the carrier that I pay my premium to for my Delta Dental coverage. I have had Delta Dental for 5 years, but decided to change my carrier to AARP after they continued to solicit my business. There was no difference in the amount of premium cost, and since I had been a Delta Dental customer for 5 years, I was lead to believe it was a switch in carriers only. But when I had to have a cracked tooth crowned, and received a bill for $1800.00, I went back to AARP only to be told that there was a waiting period associated with my policy. Even though the insurance was through Delta Dental. So my experience with the "senior friendly advocates" at AARP was unethical, and were not up front with the details of the policy. I HAD NO NEED TO CHANGE, EXCEPT FOR THE COMFORT OF THE AARP REPUTATION. So do your homework before trusting this organization. They are in the game for money.

overcharging

We booked our 'discount' week at a hotel through AARP-Expedia online. After spending one night, the very nice desk clerk asked us if we had made the arrangements through Expedia/a travel agent or with a group for a specific reason? When we told her no, she informed us we were paying almost $200 more than their weekly rate for our 7 night stay that we booked online. So much for a discount!! I will not use again.
PS- watch your car rentals as well. Same trip: when we picked up the car, they were going to charge us $300 for a car I got online for $190. We didn't figure it all out until we got in car and compared iPad online confirmation to receipt. Went back inside and heard, "this never happens". Needless to say, we waited until we got the same car for the cheaper price. But how many people do not pay attention?????? RIP OFF!!

• Tr
    travelpro Aug 22, 2010

AARP?Expedia offer hotels at lower cost. This is far from the experience we had on a trip out west. We booked a room in Vernal, UT (the Landmark Inn - an excellent hotel/motel) several weeks before our trip. Our credit card was charged 131.98 including tax for one night. When we arrived at the hotel their sign advertised rooms at $65 single. The account that we were handed by the hotel was for $92.96 including tax for the room. The charge from AARP/Expedia was $131.98. This is an upcharge of at least 43% by AARP/Expedia. All dealings with AAARP/Expedia are through India. We were told this was the "hotels fault".
    We also had a need to cancel a hotel on the trip. We could not get AARP/Expedia to do anything as their "system was down" for 2 days. We contacted the hotel directly and they were more than helpful in cancelling the room, but we were told that they could not do anything about the $25 per night that AARP/Expedia would charge for the cancellation. Again all contact with AARP/Expedia on athis issue was through India, where we were again told that the problem was with the hotel. Since we stayed at this hotel at a later date and raised this issue directly with them, they showed us the cancelled credit card charges to show that they had not retained the $25.
    We recommend that anyone booking travel steer weel clear of AARP/Expedia.

no coverage though aarp says i'm covered

This happened to me today in south bend ind (Aspen dental) (One of many dentists aarp supposedly works with) as I was getting my teeth looked at.
The dentist office could not find who or where the claim was suppose to go after finding out the services are sub contracted out to other providers byaarp. Therefore I was refused serviced that the deluxe rider was suppose to cover.

Shaun.A Sep 29, 2010

You should have your dentist bill UnitedHealthcare Dental (also known as OptumHealth Dental.

general bad information

I have had United Health Medicare Complete for many years .. when United Health kept aquiring smaller companies my plans were continually being switched on me without my knowedge or consent ..

The last switch is now with AARP Medicare Complete from Secure Horizons by United Health ... I have always had a PPO so I could use it on my travels, as I sometimes must travel out of state ..

First they messed up my plan by having me at a California address, which I never lived at .. then they messed me up by not getting me the card I needed, information I needed and so I had a few emergency services due to my condition of Multiple SClerosis ..

Now I fear they are messing up again .. I needed MRI's done as I had a relapse .. no problem .. but I now also need to start medication for the MS and my formulary has it as a listed item BUT the doctors need to fill out forms ??? WHy, United Health, Secure Horizons, Pacific Care and AARP are all one company ..

There is no one "Brain" that connects my information .. I should not have to need approval for a medically necessary drug and am sick and tired of the screw ups .. when I call with my card, the Customer Service claims my Member ID does not exist .. Oh my God .. this is the same crap they pulled the last few years ..

Why doesn't someone investigate ?? Or are you all filling your pockets from the money I pay for all my working life so I can get crappy service ???

Shaun.A Nov 14, 2010

Insurers are justified in requiring prior authorization for certain medications because it helps keep costs down and insurers can keep copayments as low as possible. We live in a society where people just go to a doctor and ask for a specific medication that they saw in a commercial; even though there may be plenty of other medications that are far cheaper and would accomplish the same results. Doctors are willing to prescribe more expensive medications to keep their patients happy and get future business.

If a particular medication is medically necessary and the most suitable option, then an insurer will certainly agree to pay for it. Just get over it, and be thankful you have the benefit in the first place. Before 2006 there was no medicare part d (drug) benefit, so you're lucky to be spoiled with what you have.

• El
    Elisabeth M. Weedman Jun 23, 2011

I have been trying to get an Appointment with the Beatrice Keller Clinic Dermatology since May 2011. My Dr. wanted for me to see a Dermatologist since I contracted lice from a patient I took care off. For once I needed help, but no one can help, visits times three at the Urgent care resulted in no success of getting rid of the bugs. Visit to the E.R at Boswell resulted to absolutely nothing no actions were taken, Dr. thought I was mentally impaired, which I resent since all I am doing is to get rid of the bugs. My PCP forever tries to get me to see a Dermatologist, which is impossible now because there isn't an Appointment until August. This is the kind of care we get nowadays with a lousy HMO, there isn't any compasion or care on part of the PCP and the Dermatologists they are all overbooked due to the pressure they get from the Insurance Companies, including that there are just to many people to take care off. It is an impossibility to take care of so many patients in one day, and get the right diagnosis and treatment to a patient. I think we deserve better care, then what is provided. I am extremely upset with the care I am receiving which is none, still have the bugs and I am fighting them any which way I can and still not getting anywhere, they are still with me. This has been going on since mid March and no resolve.

• Ha
    Hana Borova Nov 26, 2011

I just received renewal for 2012 from AARP/Medicak Complete United Health Care.
    I am with this insurance for many years and I have doctors I trust and Hospital
    Mills/Peninsula 10' from my home. Today I did find that I have to use Palo Alto Medical
    Foundation and I am loosing my heart specialist I had for 14 years.
    I was this year 78 years old, I have no family to help me and I am devastated from the change.
    Who can help me - please!!!

the aarp travel center cheated seniors

AARP fraud, cheating seniors 8/3/2010

I booked four hotel rooms (Motel 6, in Lodi, California) on July 21, 2010 through the AARP Travel Center. It charged my credit card total $295. (Each room: $68 + tax $5.75=73.75 per night)

Strange enough, the AARP never sent to me via email a booking conformation, nor any sale slip or receipt. I downloaded from the web site a “cost summary”.

When our 8 travelers arrived at Motel 6 in Lodi, we found that the regular rate for rooms we booked is $49.05 ($45+tax 4.05). The manager of the motel said he doesn’t know why the AARP charged us $73.75. The Motel 6 has no business relations with the AARP, he added.

I called the AARP. It admitted that it has no relationship with Motel 6, but it booked through Expedia.com. Then I called Expedia.com. It said there is no any record or information about this transaction.

Our 8 travelers (all seniors over 70s) feel that the AARP has cheated us. Deeply disappointed and angry, we called the AARP many times asking it to refund us the difference of $196.20 ($49.05x4) it overcharged. But the AARP personnel, with bad attitude, refused to refund us. We strongly demand the AARP give us refund and apologize. We also advise all prospective travelers not to use AARP Travel Center’s service.

(In writing this complaint, we have all supporting documents).

James zhang on behalf of 8 seniors living in california.

disappointing service

The atmosphere at the Visalia, CA AARP Senior Employment Services was like that of a singles bar. Workers talking loudly to each other, or going out to smoke and gossip with the door open and smoke blowing right in the office waiting area!

They gave my mother a job one day and took it away from her the next. After having her jump throgh hoops for a week, they had her come in for an interview. "Just a formality, " they said. After "interviewing" her for almost an hour, they told her she didn't qualify for thier program even though they had been given all of her information a week in advance! How disappointing.

prescription rx

I was called by an AARP health care representative last year (or perhaps longer than that) and encouraged to join the AARP Rx plan ‘at no cost.’ I argued that I didn’t need another health plan; I was fully covered. ‘But this is FREE, ’ he said, ‘you won’t have to pay for a thing. It’s just added insurance for you.’ Aware that often, those things first advertised as ‘free’ eventually become not-so-free, I still maintained my content with what I had. He persisted. ‘Won’t have to pay for a thing, ’ he said. Clearly, he was on a quota. Eventually, I acquiesced.

Fast forward several months: I started getting monthly bills. I called. ‘I called. I don’t want this.’ I was told that I needed to pay one month’s premium. I said, I don’t think so; I never wanted this. More bills. I called. ‘I don’t want this; didn’t want it in the first place, never needed it, never used it. Etc.’ More bills. I mailed a letter off with the last one explaining my situation.

Today, I received a collection letter in the mail. My ‘outstanding’ bill was referred to a collection agency for non-payment. Ahh, NOW I see. The AARP isn’t that organization I was wont to think it was. It’s another money-making, bait-and-switch organization. What a disappointment.

rip off on 2nd year premium

Last August I signed up with the AARP Home and Auto Insurance Program and was very pleased with the coverage and premium that was being offered. I just recieved a bill for our new premium for our home owners insurance and it was increased by 23% for no apparant reason. No claims were filled. Never late on a payment. Execllent credit rating. I qualified for all of the available dicounts. Yet my insurnace was increased by 23%???? I appears to me that AARP Home and Auto Insurance Program offers a "teaser" rate going in the first year and then hammers the consumer.

I contacted their customer service department and questioned this ridiculous increase. I was told that it was an "Industry standard" increase for my area. On further research I found that the average increase for my area was about 2.7%, a far cry from the 23%. I do believe that this is a dishonest business practice and that AARP need to start taking better care of their members by not promoting insurance companies that are obviously ripping people off.

temp staff

If you are a permanent staff, life is good. If you are a temp staff... hahaha sucks to be you! Hours 6am-2pm...

aarp does not represent my interests politically

After AARP's support of the Obama Care Health Plan I contacted AARP in writing and via telephone to cancel my membership since they obviously do not represent my best interests since anyone can clearly see that ObamaCare is not best for me or the country. Their support of this made their stance on the issue perfectly clear.<br />

AARP never aske me or any other dues paying member what our position was on this issue. They took it upon themselves to decide for the memebership how we should think on this issue.<br/>
<br />
AARP did NOT cancel my membership and continues to send me Membership Renewal Information. This was my first year of membership and I will never renew. Since joining AARP I have gotten a barrage of mail selling every type of insurance you could possibly imagine. They send these marketing materials regularly under the guise of AARP. I have come to believe that AARP is nothing more than a mechanism to gather contact information to sell insurance. I do NOT want their insurance And, I do not want to be associated with the AARP organization or their political views.

• Dr
    Dr_Davey1 Feb 13, 2010

AARP is nothing more than a way to collect contact information to sell insurance.

• Be
    beware of HARTFORD INSURANCE Nov 19, 2010

AARP should be exposed for what it is. A lobby arm of the insurance and other industries it "endorses", such as Hartford Insurance. These money grabbers have raised my rates FOUR TIMES IN FOUR PAY PERIODS WITH NO REASON.
    I hope that AARP board members enjoy their perks from Hartford and others they feed to people like me who foolishly trust them. They are in it for RICH OLD PEOPLE, and the RICH OLD PEOPLE are doing just fine, it's those of us who have to take funds out of retirement savings to put food on the table, not to mention leaving us twisting in the wind with 3rd world medical coverage that hopes we die soon so they can make even more off our premiums and/or AARP fees.

• Su
    Susiechris Jul 24, 2011

Send back the continued AARP renewal cards in their prepaid envelopes and write "cancel" on the card. Let AARP waste their money on the postage. That is what I did and they did stop sending me renewal cards. I have joined a senior organization that has political views similar to mine.

deceptive advertising

The deluxe rider is a $40 a month optional vision / hearing and dental rider. The medical card I received has the Deluxe Rider added on to the end of the plan name. The printed information states nothing about this plan being administered by any other insurance company. The only number on the card is the one for Secure Horizons. AFTER checking with my vision providor, and being told they accept Secure Horizons, the calim was turned in and refused by Secure Horizons, because it must go to another insurance company (the one who administers the vision plan). Only it is a company not named in any literature, and one the doctor's office never heard of and does not belong to. Now the $400 bill I have has been refused, because according to Secure Horizons "they" don't cover vision and the providor must file the claim with another insurance company - under a Secure Horizons Member Number. BE WARNED - THE DELUXE RIDER IS A SCAM SOLD UNDER MISLEADING AND FALSE REPRESENTATION BY SECURE HORIZONS! Don't get taken by this company - find some other medicare advantage plan!

• Sl
    sluth Apr 01, 2010

I signed up for the deluxe rider. When I recieved my "new" id card, it did not have the rider listed. I called and secure horizons said it was an error and I will be sent a new card. Re. the rider: I called secure horizons twice and on the second call I was given the website : www. optumhealth.com I tried to sign in but it said I was not a member although they cashed my first check for $39.00. I was however, able to get into the provider directory (under solutions heading) for Vision and dental. There was not a word about hearing. I think it is a case of deceptive advertising but it due to poor management and lack of effective organization and and training and poor business practices. For info:
    OptumHealth
    6300 Olson Memorial Hwy.
    Golden Valley, MN 55427

Phone
    (866) 427-6845

• Sl
    sluth Apr 01, 2010

Further info on the Deluxe Rider:
    Vision Care providers can be found on www.optumhealth.com website. Also 1-800-638-3120 for further info.

Dental care providers are also listed on the optumhealth website.

Hearing is totally different: it is provided through EPIC www.epichearing.com which contains little info. Call 1-866-956-5400 for more info and local providers.

No, they didn't volunteer this info. I had to dig it out.

• Vo
    Vols Aug 20, 2010

I went to the OptumHealth website and had absolutely no trouble in creating a user account which I can now log into, find a provider and also the total costs for any and all services.
    Try www.optumhealth.com, then click SOLUTIONS. DENTAL next you must create an account using your UHC membership number. After you've logged in you can switch back and forth between vision and dental to find providers.

Matt_K Sep 23, 2010

This happened to me today in South Bend Ind (Aspen Dental) (One of many dentists AARP supposedly works with) as i was getting my teeth looked at.
    The dentist office could not find who or where the claim was suppose to go after finding out the services are sub contracted out to other providers byAARP. Therefore i was refused serviced that the deluxe rider was suppose to cover.

Why sell coverage if nobody accepts it?????

• Co
    COOKIELADY Dec 11, 2010

I have had Deluxe Rider about 3 yrs and got it when Newport Audiology was a provider. Secure Horizons claims and payments at that time were sent to Arkansas. The next time I used it was dental and had no problem submitting and receiving a small portion of money as reimbursement. Several items were refused due to price, required more info or not covered. In 2009 I had extensive dental work done in the amount of over $1100 and in less than 4 weeks the permanent bridge detached. It was unable to be reattached due to bone loss and weak teeth that it had been attached to. Had the dentist told me that I would have gone a different process. Dentist then suggested a larger bridge covering 10-11 teeth including all my front teeth that would require almost all my teeth extracted except for a bridge on the left and 2 teeth (one on each side in back that were both root canal and crowns many years ago. I went to several other dentist for recommendation and prices and finally had a complete upper denture in September 2010. I had submitted the 2009 claim in enough time for processing and each time I called SH and connected me to check on it and dental said it was not received, not in system, give it more time, maybe incorrect (but they don't notify you of required corrections) etc.
    Finally after many mailings and attempts to correct and close to cut off time I sent the claim in requesting return receipt. It was received and it was denied due to PAST THE DATE. I filed 2 appeals and grievances to no avail so lost reimbursement on my portion due which I really needed for next step involving a full upper denture. I submitted that claim through a lady at the Grievance area and seems it was never received or in system. I called her and when she checked on it a portion of the amounts were processed. They had codes showing various reasons rejected: involving more information, narratives, x-rays, not within price range so all those were denied. I have now resent those with required information this week for payment hopefully and return receipt required. In the 2011 "PROVIDER DIRECTORY" is the very first time I have seen any list of dentist to use. Prior to this I was told use any dentist and submit claim for reimbursement to you. I thought I was purchasing the Deluxe Rider from Secure Horizons and didn't realize it was not a part of them but it has been a real hassle dealing with them and getting ANY reimbursement. I am 70 and spent a lot of time and postage trying to obtain what was due me and still not all of it! How many other SENIORS just give up? I almost did but I have paid my premium all these months/years and felt I wasn't going to give up. When the 2nd denial that went to grievance was denied they sent it to MAXIMUS (a federal agency) that works with Medicare Claims. They too denied and closed due to the fact no monies owed to the facility (which I paid for before submitting information on Deluxe Rider). I feel they gave me a run around to not pay any on the amount of $1100 items for a potion reimbursement. Once I get this all completed I intend to check elsewhere for dental and supplemental insurance plan and tell everyone I know the problems I have incurred since United Healthcare has taken over. I still don't know if it is SH, AARP. Optimum, United or exactly who has the rider and apparently neither does Customer Service that I have spoken with all they do is connect me to another number. Also I couldn't explain to anyone processing claim that it reimbursement to me and not dentist as they even came back to say the bill was paid! Also they had me go online and do a dental form and include my ORIGINAL receipt with member number top/bottom/both sides should item become detached. They would not take it on walkout statement I provided with all the information they required and a copy of paid receipt. I was to get all kind of numbers for dentist such as SSN, Dental/Tax Payer ID and some I never had been requested but all of what they needed was on my walkout statement! All I can say to YOU ... THINK VERY CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU PURCHASE THIS HORRIBLE INSURANCE!

• Wa
    WarningDeluxeRiderScam Dec 18, 2014

I took out the deluxe rider, and paid straight from my checking account every month, after 10 months of paying for the rider, I went to the dentist for a teeth cleaning, the dentist called Medicare Complete, they told the dentist I was not covered by the Deluxe Rider, I contacted Medicare Complete after 2 days they finally found the payments I made, and said they will pay the Dentist, after 2 months they finally paid 100.00 to the dentist, after all the problems and how much I was paying for the rider I decided to cancel and just pay for Eye Doctors and Dentist myself, just 30 days later I received a letter from the dentist, that The Deluxe Rider was demanding the 100.00 be returned to them, I was shocked to say the least. The Deluxe Rider paid Nothing and is still sending me a bill for 39.00. What a Racket. WARNING MEDICARE COMPLETE AND THEIR DELUXE RIDER IS A SCAM>

reservationist errors

I made an international reservation with an operator through AARP travel powered by Expedia. The reservationist misspelled my name but correctly spelled my wifes. I noticed this after receiving my confirmation. I contacted AARP travel powered by Expedia and after an hour on the phone they were able to correct the error. They also charged me $20.00 for this change.I feel that since AARP Travel powered by Expedia made the error that they should pay for the change.

I corresponded with Expedia. They were no help in resolving this problem.

Also very hard to understand repersentives.

Recommendation: when making airline reservation do not use Expedia or AARP Travel

• Sn
    Sndra Skinner Jun 14, 2011

I fully agree with the complaints against AARP Travel /Expedia. My friend and I booked a flight to Egypt thru AARP Expedia. The flight was canceled in February 2011 because our tour was canceled. due to the uprising. The airline Lufthansa agreed to refund the airfare but it had to go through our travel agency AARP/Expedia. We applied in February for the refund and I finally got mine on 6/6/11, but my friend has not gotten hers. Expedia said their was only one ticket. AARP blew us off because they said it was Expedia's doing even tho it is their contracted travel agent. I will never do business thru AARP or Expedia again and I caution everyone planning a trip thru them to be very careful. If anything happens, they will not back you up. Also they are very rude and the agents are very difficult to understand.

• Sn
    Sndra Skinner Jun 14, 2011

Stay away from AARP/Expedia Travel

• Do
    don from colorado Apr 15, 2013

If you ask to speak to a supervisor they will hang up on you

• In
    In the OC Jun 13, 2014

My [email protected] itinerary disappeared and they say they cannot attach it back to my account. They
    emailed it to me but I have no additional access to it. What kind of
    software are they using???? I am madder than a gang of hornets...I
    complained to all who would listen but no one was interested in fixing
    the problem...No one at all...I never have a problem when using any
    other travel sites just this one..The customer service sounds like it is off shore. They hung up on me once after an hour and the I had to spend another hour without getting any resolution. It was the worst! .Like they say, one dissatisfied customer will tell 10 people...I will tell more than that!

deceptive advertising

I signed up for the aarp secure horizons Complete choice plan 2 which states on Medicares web site "any doctor' can be used. Further, the manual states "any doctor who accepts medicare' can be used. In reality, doctors will not accept this if they are not in their ppo network. This is deceptive. When you call them to inquire, they start by telling you again you can see any doctor. When you tell them your doctor refuses to take this, they then tell you "any doctor who accepts their plan and terms'. Don't get caught up in this deception. Lots of Advantage plans are lying about this. Humana actually states this up front "any one who will accept their plan".

Shaun.A Sep 29, 2010

You're getting confused by different types of plans. Humana says you can go to any provider who accepts their plans term and conditions because that plan is a PFFS. That is how a PFFS plan works. With a Medicare PPO the plan will cover you at any Medicare eligible provider. The bad news is that many doctor office staff choose not to bill a PPO plan if they're OON (not the insurance's fault), so in that case you have to pay for the service and then bill the insurance yourself. It's not the insurance's fault you doctors office is cherry picking insurance that will happily pay them for covered services.

worst service ever

I have been trying to get a "Rental Home Quotation" from AARP, where I already have my Auto and Home Insurance already. Unlike all other insurance companies, they refused to give a quotation over the phone but wanted me to complete an actual application that was received from them via U S mail after a week and I sent the complete application the next day and did not receive any response and hence called and they say they did not receive the forms by mail. I suggested an e-mail or fax to speed up the matter, but they refused it saying they operate even for a simple quotation of home insurance only VIA MAIL, in this computerized age of 21st century, where you can practically every thing, let alone a quote via e-mail or internet! When I wanted to complain about this, they have no actual phone contact of public relations officer that the attendant would not divulge (great secret!) nor there is any e-mail form of complaint and asked me to "write" a letter. They may have no work other than opening mails and responding after a month via mail, but I have better things to do than running to the post office and affix stamps etc in this internet age!

not covered at death

My Mother died Nov. 13th, 2009 under the impression her life insurance would pay . She
had paid 8 years but it is for 10. Mom was Bi-Polar and lost track of finance sometime.

After she went to the hospital in August 2009 I was not aware of this insurance and the monthly payment was not paid.

Mom went on to a nursing home then the last days in hospital Nov.9, 2009. In a panic
the next day she ask me to check insurance and catch up if needed.

She died unaware the $4, 140.oo paid in 7yrs and 8 months left her policy invalid on her
death.

This is the policy but if considering the different types of life insurance, please research
terms of each so your blood money will take care of you and yours.

Mom was cremated as the pauper she was and I now will always be

Joy R. Baldwin, left behind with broken heart

Peter Blastoy Nov 30, 2010

I opted against AARP, but that was because their rates were through the roof. You complaining that your mom didn't pay her premium and therefore lost her coverage is ridiculous. By the way "Mom was cremated as the pauper she was and I now will always be", how pitiful are you? You're acting life her measily burial insurance from AARP was going to make you rich.

Hey my kids won't have to [censor] like this when I die, why? Because:

a. they'll pay their own bills in life
    b. I'm a responsible person with a 1, 000, 000 dollar policy that I got through YourLifeSolution.com for probably a lot less per 1000 than your mom paid for that AARP garbage

In conclusion, saying you'll be poor forever because you didn't get to cash in on your mom is pitiful.

It's not AARP's fault she neglected her premium.

AARP's insurance program is a joke anyway.

• Ro
    rolue Dec 31, 2010

Hey Peter, your the biggest a-hole I've come across in a long time. The guy never complained about not becoming rich off the policy. Where did this person say they'll be poor forever because they didn't cash in? You call the guy pitiful. Your the pitiful one. Your kids probably made sure they could take care of themselves, so they don't have to deal with an a-hole like you.

• Ed
    Ed Hinerman Jan 06, 2011

Insurance companies are bound by state law to make an option available to policy owners to name a second person to notify if a premium is not paid on time. If this was not offered then the claim should be valid and honored. I disagree with Peter in that, knowing AARP's record for being informative, it may very well have been their fault that the premium was not paid.

• Ia
    iamawonder9 Jun 18, 2012

My mother passed away last year 4 days shy of being the 2 year contestable period with AARP. I sent in all the necessary forms and had to wait for a long time till we found out that they would not pay anything. They went back 4 years in her health history and told us she lied about her health. At the time she got the policy she was told she had the Guaranteed life, which they advertise and in the end we found out it was actually a group life that never pays any of these elderly people. They send them out mailings with one policy and when they sign up they get a totaly different one than expected. They never send the copy of the policy until after the person dies so you dont know what they have until after they are gone. This then leaves the family to pick up the bill that they can not afford. My mom only had a $5000 policy that would have coverd most of the expense. But due to them not paying my dad had to pay it out of his own Social Security that he lives on. I would tell anyone not to get AARP insurance. I have had nothing but trouble from them since my mom died.

Peter Blastoy Jun 18, 2012

"Mom was cremated as the pauper she was and I now will always be" he said it right there that he will always be a pauper

Peter Blastoy Jun 18, 2012

Mom was cremated as the pauper she was and I now will always be

Hey Ed! He said right there he would be a pauper for life. The reason for being a pauper? He didn't get the pissant death benefit from the AARP policy. Try taking a reading comprehension class

scam

AARP Secure Horizons as a medi-gap insurance is totally impossible in terms of customer service. They are cheery upon sign up, but if you ever have an issue you cannot get past person #1 who will wear you out, wear you down until you surrernder. In our case, even though they issued a new card for our move 90 miles away, with a new doctor, they canceled us saying we had "moved out of are." Well, uh, yeah, 90 miles north (in Califorina.) You gave us a new card/new primary physician, so? After literally hours on the phone, all documented - no help. Meanwhile, for 9 months no Medicare Part D, medigap and now nobody will insure us since were were canceled by another company. They should be sued!

• Ji
    jimwhite Mar 11, 2010

If anyone is planing to sue these people, contact me. I have plenty to say about their horrible service.

• Th
    thirdworldinsurance Jun 26, 2010

Friends...
    I was about to start the lung transplant process at Cleveland Clinic . I had July appointments for all the prelim tests etc. Their financial department called yesterday and said they did not accept patients who have the Secure Horizons Medicare Advantage insurance, sponsored by AARP. They said that their coverage for post transplant care stops at one year and there could be lots of problems beyond that point and I would not be covered. They say they are concerned about my long term health and that lack of coverage jeopardizes that. They said that even if I was a good transplant candidate in every other respect that lack of longer term coverage would be held against me by the transplant committee.Keep this in mind when you next buy health insurance.
    I'm about to start looking for a new nearby transplant hospital. Obviously I can't get new insurance at this point.

So what is that point of having Secure Horizons coverage?

FYI: This is a real letter from a real person June 26th 2010.

• Da
    DammitDewd Oct 21, 2010

Take my word for it folks. AARP is a rip-off organization that couldn't care less about the senior citizens they sell insurance to and 'supposedly' represent.

At every opportunity, AARP will cheat anyone dumb enough to buy the insurance they sell, believing that AARP has the very best interests of old people at heart.

There is no low to which AARP will not stoop to cheat old people out of their money. Why do we not sue their pants off?

Marjorie Seifert Apr 06, 2011

My dauhtr is disabled and on Medicare - she made the huge mistake of signing up for Secure Horizons. Now she is being shuttled from hospital to sub-par warehouse facility to a convalescent center to back to the hospital. She doesn't know her doctor's name, results of the blood tests and is in horrible shape. Can't get any info from Secure Horizons - the only secure horizon they insure is a graveyard. If anyone is suing let me know!

total rip off

I was canceled by AARP's Secure Horizons claiming I had moved. I did not. However, for the first time in decades I did have a medical issue (no big deal really.) Could this be the real reason? I called and called and could never get anybody to understand I had not really moved those 2 blocks, kept the same doctor, no change of address -- how did they get that address in the first place? Bank, IRS, Social Security, everybody -- no change of address needed/submitted. Nobody would talk to me, meanwhile I've no Medicare Part D or supplemental. They are a horrible company. I'm considering a class action suit since I've encountered others with the same complaint -- you can't get past the original first tier phone answerer who will just wear you out. No call backs, no respones to letters, etc. BAD health insurance company!

Jo Dallas Nov 11, 2009

My partner has had AARP's Secure Horizons for several years, and has been very pleased with them. He had two bouts of cancer, surgery, rad. therapy, and followups with no issues re Secure Horizons. He has pre-existing conditions as well. I don't think he has had problems re getting service via phone or thru snail mail, and has always been treated with respect and courtesy. As a matter of fact, there was one family physician that we requested they take off the provider list because of the poor and suspicious conditions we witnessed, and they actually dropped him after discussing it with them.

Have you called AARP to discuss your concerns?

Also, it is possible that someone has stolen your personal information, hence the change of address and other "errors".

shauny2k5 Nov 21, 2009

I work for Secure Horizons. Most issues regarding an address come from two places. Either, you've had a mailing address on file for over 6 months, that's in a different county/service area; or, you have a different address on file with the SSA. Regardless, you need to make sure you keep your addresses up to date. When the plan or the SSA has an out of area mailing address for over 6 months, you are disenrolled per federal law, to protect you from not having routine care covered due to lack of a provider network.

Chrisam2 Aug 06, 2010

I am so ticked off. A couple of months I had my prescription filled for one of my heart meds. I was told at Walmart that my medicine wasn't covered by Secure Horizon anymore. So the prescription cost me almost $50.00. A few days later, I got a letter from Secure Horizon saying they would no longer cover that med.(Atacand) So my doctor prescribed a different medicine. The new meds made me cough a lot, constant drainage down the back of my throat, have sinus infections(a side effect). We tried other meds when I started the heart meds. He put me back on the Atacand and I appealed the decision. The nice people on the phone told me "No Problem, just mail in the appeal and you will be returned to your formally acception. Guess what? My doctor made the call saying why I couldn't tolerate their suggested brand. The new meds that Secure wanted me on was $125.00 (my cost) So I asked "if I'm paying $125.00, what is my insurance co. paying?" The answer was $269.00. What I don't get is, why would the insurance company pay $269.00 for the new med, when it would cost them at the most $50.00. a month. My heart Doctor told me that Secure Horizon denied the change and S.H. rarely change the meds for their patients. The nice people who will tell you anything and then it doesn't happen. Your complaints don't matter. Guess I'll be looking for a new company when renewal comes back up.

• Wh
    whenever Oct 18, 2010

I totally agree with your assessment of Secure Horizons services. I have two complaints against that company. One is, they claim that I signed up for a Dental Insurance Rider, which I never did, I only inquired about their dental plan and nothing happened until a year later when they sent me a statement for the years premiums of $500.00 something. When I contacted them first by phone and then numerous letters to dispute these charges, since there's no record of signing anything or accepting their Rider, all I get is the same form letter saying that on such and such a date I made the call to inquire and they signed me up. No reputable company in the world waits a year to send me a bill for something I never ordered much less received anything for it.

My second complaint is with my vision prescription. I had to go back three times to get my glasses fixed, but still not to my satisfaction.

This company along with its reps. that I had to talk to are the worst business people I have ever encountered. I tell everyone to stay away from this company.

• Lo
    Lori123 Nov 19, 2010

My 93-year old mother is also having problems with Secure Horizons' Dental Insurance Rider which we discontinued almost 2 years ago. They will not release her from her $32 per month premium even though she has not visited a dentist or received any dental services whatsoever since we cancelled the plan. Yet they continue harassing her with letters and phone calls even though they have no basis for their claim.

As I have medical POA for my mother, Secure Horizons is the worst provider I have yet to deal with. The customer service reps are rude and sound like shake-down artists running a scam. I would advise all seniors to look elsewhere for medical or dental insurance.

treated with no dignity, respect, value

AARP Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) is a grant program funded by the U.S. Department of...

travel bag

I recently joined AARP partly because they offered a free travel bag, the promotional flier showed a photo of...

membership refund

Based on a AARP promotional offer in Jan, 2008, I extended my AARP membership for 4 years through Dec, 2011...