AARPcompletely stunned

AARP - www.aarp.org

I am 72 years old and have had my auto insurance and homeowners insurance through aarp. My insurance is being handled for aarp through the hartford. I have probably had this insurance for approximately the past twenty years. The policy no. Is 55 phe293950, andrew j. Kline sr., 200 federal st ne. Warren, oh, 44483. My phone no. Is [protected].

About two or three weeks ago i called their customer service department because i wanted a quite on how much it would cost me to put my 16 year old grandson who just got his license. To drive one of my cars, i have a 1995 buick roadmaster and a 1987 cadillac which i alone drive. If i was to put my grandson on my insurance it would be to drive my buick. When they gave me the quote of how much it would cost me, which is over $1200. A year, i told them their was no way i could afford this, i am on a fixed income and to just forget it. Besides the transmission has gone bad on my buick, and my grandson is buying his own car sometime this week or the first of next week. The cost of fixing the buick is way too much, so i am just going to sell it as is. Too make a long story short, the first of this week i get a statement from the hartford stating my premium due is $1,255.28, they put my grandson on my policy without any consent from me. I call there and talk to a cust. Rep and she proceeds to tell me that i have no choice in the matter i have to put him on my policy, that she is in control of my policy and she will say what is to be done with my policy, this is no bs, this is exactly what she told me. I was stunned, i told her i am the one who pays for this policy and you tell me i have no control of it, that you do, and she says "yes". I had asked to speak to one of her supervisors about this and she told me they were all busy and would not let me speak to one of them. They do not even know who my grandson is, what is name is nor to they have any info about his drivers license yet they proceed to put him on my policy.

I want to know if they are within their power doing this to me, she told me if i didn't like it i could take my insurance elsewhere, i don't want to have to do this, it is so much of a hassle, especially with my homeowners ins. Because i pay my insurance with my house payment each month.

I am just completely stunned about this whole thing, what kind of a democracy are we living in when an insurance company tells you what they are going to do with your policy whether you like it or not.

If someone can not help me in this matter could you please direct me to someone that can. This whole situation just does not sound right to me.

Thank you very much, and i will be more than willing to supply you with any further information you might need.

Andrew j. Kline Sr

Jimmymac1969 Feb 09, 2020

Main reason I got AARP is to get Medicare information but cannot understand the people on the phones with thier strong foriegn accents. Must change or your group is worthless to me. Would include more info but then this would be nothing more than a rant. Easy fix. Respctfully, Me and most Costomers.

Jim Bullard Jul 15, 2019

free suitcase for joining. We never received anything.

• Rc
    rchobani Apr 10, 2019

This company has stiffed our primary care office out of 20+ claims visits because of "reviews" of records, which conveniently state that no claim is payable. Primary care is at a shortage as it is, and this greedy treatment of providers is criminal. We are having to terminate all of our AARP patients since we cannot get paid.

NormanPC Oct 21, 2018

I don't care for the "notices " for membership fees since I have never signed up for their "service ".

• Tw
    twacynaki Sep 18, 2018

I joined because I really liked what they were offering for a gift, a little red play, I got a flashlight instead. What's up with that? I still always thought of joining, but, I had my heart on that little red speaker!

• Ad
    adrienne dix Sep 14, 2018

I mailed AARP a check for a discounted rate for a year membership subscription. When they cashed the check they applied the regular price. When I called customer service to find out how they were able to charge a different amount that was written on the check without my permission, I was given the run around. I asked them to refer to the check as proof of the mistake but they said they shred the check, which is a lie because they presented the physical check to my bank. Each time I asked to speak with a supervisor I was disconnected. I was so upset that I told the representative to cancel my subscription and return my money. Neither was done.
    I'm going to write a letter to AARP headquarters letting them know something fishy is going on.
    Needless to say, they have lost a valued customer.

Geri52 Aug 01, 2018

Don't know why my original comment was removed but here goes. You should edit your post to remove your name, address and policy number. No one on this forum needs that info and that's how ID thieves compile enough about you to steal your identity. Second, you need to contact the insurance commissioner in your state to see if they will help you. I posted the link in the post above this one. If no help from them, contact your state's attorney general (you can find that info on Google) and file a consumer complaint. Third, do some policy shopping. It's my experience that the Hartford (the company that underwrites AARP's auto policies) is one of the most expensive. If you or anyone in your immediate family has ever been in the armed forces, try USAA or Geico. Both have good insurance and lower premiums.

Geri52 Aug 01, 2018

I see the link was redacted that shows the state insurance commissioner interactive map. Here it is for Washington state (hope it isn't removed) insurance.wa.gov.

Geri52 Aug 01, 2018

First, you should edit your post to remove your name, address and policy number. No one on this forum needs that information and this is how identity thieves get your personal info and use it for dishonest purposes. Second, you should contact your state's insurance commissioner and see if they can offer any assistance. This website will show you contact information for your state. You may also wish to contact your state's attorney general and file a consumer complaint. If you get no help, the only thing left is to shop around for a new policy.

ChrisMo Jun 01, 2018

Not worth it, save your $16 a year. All my boyfriend and I get is a lousy $1.50 off our consumer cellular bills. A lot of hotels don't take AARP but they'll take AAA if you have it. The Hartford is the worst insurance company to have for your car, I knew that a long time ago, so I never bothered. I have GEICO, they're good, my insurance rates are low. The only other thing we get with AARP is magazines and emails about Medicare/Medical information updates. Meanwhile, do not, I repeat, do not go through AARP for supplemental Medicare Insurance, it's too expensive if you're on a fixed income. Insurance is a racket in Itself, don't be fooled.

• Do
    Dorothy Klein Feb 08, 2017

Thanks all for the feedback. I was about to join but after reading all of the BS, I decided HELL to the NO FN WAY! GOod luck to all who are having issues, especially Mr. Kline. Shocking and disappointed I am in AARP, shame on you people!!!

• De
    Debbi Reis Dec 06, 2016

i'm not renewing my membership either. These so called "local AARP" groups are ripping people off. They are running a bus trip to Lancaster and I signed uup for it with a $100 deposit - the trip was scheduled for a year and a half from the day i signed up. Few months later i needed to cancel due to a family function coming up - they will not give me my money back even though they still have another year to find someone to take my place - i could see doing that if i waited until the last minute but this is rediculous - not to mention i'm on a limited income. I thought AARP was to help seniors not take their money

• Ki
    KimWSSmith Sep 02, 2016

AARP is not what people think it is. I'm beginning to wonder if they ever were what people think it is? The following post is one I made about their auto insurance:
    When I applied for their auto insurance from the Hartford; my premium was $850.00 a year for 2 vehicles. I trusted them and signed up for the "TruLane" deal where you install a GPS device that records your driving habits. We are in our "golden years" and drive sensibly with no citations or accidents. They claim that "TruLane" will help lower your rates. We drive about 10K a year divided between 2 vehicles. When all was said and done: my next years premium went UP to $960.00 a year. I emailed to complain and was told that the "TrueLane' program is not intended to help lower premiums. "TrueLane" is a scam for harvesting data to sell to online hucksters. After we completed the "trueLane" program: the telemarketer calls went from 2 or 3 a week to as many as 10 a day! The spam in my inbox went crazy also. Mostly from shysters selling "extended warranties" and other shysters selling "security systems" and a good number of hang-up calls from numbers that sometimes had a person selling their crap.
    Anyone reading this: Don't fall for the "TrueLane" crap unless you want 10 telemarketers a day on the phone and an excess of spam in your inbox! If you're an aggressive driver: "TrueLane" ain't for you either! While "TrueLane" does nothing to reduce premiums: you can bet your bippie they WILL use it to inflate your premiums!
    I looked at other carriers and couldn't find any lower rates. I will shop at other sites on my renewal date. The first time I find a lower rate: I will vote with my feet. Their practices are deceptive with the "trueLane" and they do sell the data to phishing sites and disreputable telemarketers. I was forced to purchase a call blocking device. I think they should have to reimburse me the $100.00 I paid for the box. I looked up every number from those schmucks and found there are thousands of complaints against every number I researched.
    Thank God I didn't fall for their "health insurance" rip-off"! I won't be buying anything recommended by AARP. It's like the Clinton Foundation where only 10% goes where it should go!

TinyAnne Jul 19, 2018

@KimWSSmith Your state must have an insurance board. WRite to them. Write your senators and congressmen. Send to Better Business Bureau. This has got to stop!!!

janreha Jan 23, 2016

I have used Hartford Insurance aligned with AARP for over 20 years. This year I was charged $50 more each month for my auto insurance. I was shocked and given a weak excuse. I called other insurers and was informed that this was a common complaint by other Hartford Insurers. I find it shocking that AARP that purports to advocate for seniors colludes with Hartford in this abominable practice. I certainly will alert my friends about their practice.

TinyAnne Jul 19, 2018

@janreha I wonder if this was after THEY JOINED with AARP. I always thought of Hartford as a really great company although I have never used it. Isn't it sad, that this could happen to a good company, but greed is now the way of the world.

• Wm
    Wm. Johnson May 08, 2015

Hartford, in my opinion, is another 'we always win company'. The facts are of no concern to Hartford, only winning! They used 4 excuses to stop paying my benefits. It was "We saw you go into your physical therapist for treatment". If you can go to your Dr. you don't have a problem". This is the twisted reasoning process of a company that touts how much they're there for their policy holders. I had 2 MRI's, 2 Neurosurgeon's opinion's on their letterheads. 3 MD's opinion's. 1 Chiropractor and 1 PT, all stating my injury was due to a chair too small for my height and that I needed an operation with a 20% chance of coma, paraplegia, loss of speech or DEATH but Hartford stated this was not enough for them to honor my policy. I was followed. I was caught shopping at Kroger's for 19 minutes which meant that I was okay, etc. In 1944, 4500 Marines landed in 400 landing craft under fire in 19 minutes in the South Pacific. I used 19 minutes to p/u food for my bedridden 83 year old Mother whom I take care of and myself. Hartford is a big business company who feeds, excuse me, needs as many policy holders as possible to be profitable. What was my original problem? I'm 6'11. I asked my company for a high back chair for 6 years after they approved it for me 6 years earlier. It took 7.8 years to get my 'special' chair to me after I had been injured with complete documentation. I will be placing my entire case with Hartford on-line for everyone to see how Hartford manipulates policy holders to drive them into court instead of honoring its word. My documentation proves everything I state to be FACTUAL! By the way, the chair my company gave me to sit in for 6 years was also being used by my co-worker who was 5'2 and another co-worker 5'8 350 lbs. If anyone reading this knows a person 6'11 who can sleep in a twin size bed, drive a compact car or who is full after eating a 4oz hamburger, let me know. It's very tiresome to have people 5'5 tell tall people what they need. I've been 3.6, 4.9, 5.7, 6.1, 6.5, and from 1967 6'11. Hartford is a company I use to respect based on its history. It wasn't until I actually needed it did its true color come out. WE WILL WIN IF WE HAVE TO CRUSH YOU financially! In my opinion. PS: I'm also going to upload my entire situation with my ex company of 12 years and 6 days ( I resigned in protest because of its dishonesty and its willingness to allow 'PERJURY' as its defense to WIN) to show American's what they are dealing with. I had the opportunity to re-file my court case after the courts first ruling which I did not do. After my company showed that it was willing to go as low as necessary to win I considered it a bad reinvestment. I only asked for a sit-down conversation when my company's reps lied and submitted false data. Instead of a inexpensive sit-down I was given a 90 day ultimatum to file a lawsuit which I did not want. I have a certified letter to the EEOC Detroit Field Office which I state on 12/24/2010 that I did NOT want a lawsuit with my company, just a conversation. Long story short, my company's OP's manager stated 'under oath' he has final approval over workstation equipment orders. In 6 years he ordered me 2 wrong chairs while refusing me the 1 chair I requested based on 35 years of experience being 6'11. The court ruled my company did NOT discriminate against me due to inside or outside influences that put this $2 Trillion+ company in a position where it could NOT get me an $800.00 high-back chair suited to my 6'11 height while NEW chairs were purchased by the 1000's all around me. The Op manager's Personal Assistant (PA) told me as she left the company that my OP's mgr. was extremely jealous of my height and he bad-mouthed me every time I left his office. This OP's mgr is a real piece of insecure work. I always considered my company one that demanded that integrity and ethics be paramount in the workplace and in our community. Its documented actions showed me that it didn't even follow its own 'Code of Conduct' while demanding its employee do. At 62 it was a big let down. I ended up at my company on a fluke and then stayed 12 years and 6 days because I was convinced it was a great organization. My disappointment after watching its actions to WIN were disheartening to say the least. My case is unusual because I have an unsolicited voicemail that states my injury was due to poor seating. Emails from my company's Occupational Health Nurse stating my 'special' chair will be delivered on 10/13/10 after having written PROOF showing my 'special' chair was approved in 2/03, 7.8 years earlier. Depositions that display the lie's used by my company mgr's to WIN and when pointed out by certified mail signed for by my company CEO's office, Sr. VP of Marketing in Chicago and an Executive HR Manager at our Corporate Headquarters in NY, NO RESPONSE? The old 'ignore it and it will go away' ploy! I'm retired. I have nothing to do but work on exposing the dishonesty and lack of ethics by my old company and the courts pertaining to this case only. I still think my company could be great when it comes to opportunities for its employee's and their families. In this one instance unfortunately for me, the wagon's were circled by employee's who kept the truth from the powers to be so they could 'CYA' themselves. How do I know this? 2 HR employee's called me and told me that "your little letters to corporate are never seen by the BIG boss. They are redirected somewhere else"! The stupidity of youth! They wanted to show me that I meant nothing and my TRUTH would never be seen by my BIG boss. My motives are NOT financial, even though this entire affair, which could have been avoided from day one, and has now cost me over $120, 000.00 up to $300, 000.00 over the next 3-1/2 years goes on. Want I want to do is expose the 'TRUTH' or lack of so my ex-company can correct itself for its employees and customers. PS; I was asked to produce approximately $4.5 million in sales over 6 years when I was going through my hiring interview. I completed approximately $100, 000, 000.00 million in sales over 6 years! I was taken to dinner by Corporate (who flew in from NY) at the Ruth Chris Steak House. (Great steaks. Melt in your mouth steaks. I highly recommend for any company wanting to say thanks to its employee's). The National Mgr. shook my hand and thanked me for making my company millions in profit from my efforts. My Op Mgr. made fun of what I ordered. NOT one 'thank you' from him. I will show as well that I was told to do certain things involving customers of AARP. I submitted my concerns to HR and Sr, VP Mgr's and a corporate security representative by certified mail who works for my ex-company while offering to help any way I could. I was never re-contacted. The reason I was told to do what I was told to do to AARP members may or may not be true. I don't know. It happened and I don't know what was done on behalf of AARP, a company I represented as best I could for several years which my AARP Customer Service award prove's. I have 3 stories all backed up by documentation that was never entertained. Swept under the rug to avoid any need to address the lie's with the 'TRUTH'! I was raised that your word was your bond. What is happening to our great country? The 'TRUTH' means nothing while only winning does. I would NOT have any coverage from Hartford under any circumstances. They have shown me want they consider important. WINNING, while the 'TRUTH' be damned! In my opinion!

TinyAnne Jul 19, 2018

@Wm. Johnson WOW!!! You should post this somewhere...as an editorial your paper, or somewhere. Send it to all of your senators/congressmen. This is amazing. God bless U...and May we someday, destroy AARP.

Jaydeekay Nov 06, 2013

I'm surprised at all the people in this country that buy insurance from AARP at all. AARP should go broke from boycott. They get government funding. If they get funds from the government why pay them anything. Your already paying them through taxation. Then their insurance should be free, Right?

TinyAnne Jul 19, 2018

@Jaydeekay And Pres Obama's administration paid them millions of dollars for their support of Obama Care. All of the money they take in...except for some superficial donations to both parties (about $175, 000 each). Then you look at their lobbying budgets. They are in the millions and they do not support Republican anything. I think this is wrong. They pretend to help Seniors and that should be Seniors w/out political bias. But that is not how they play the game. Good Luck.

• Zm
    zmanros63 Oct 21, 2013

I am sitting here with a AARP membership invoice on the table that I just got in the mail. I just turned 50 today and they already have an invoice in my mailbox...who the hell told them it was my birthday anyway?
    Quite honestly I think I get the same or better benefits from my AAA membership and they'll even tow the car or bring me gas if I run out. I doubt that AARP would do that.
    Thank you for all of the comments...word of mouth means a great deal. The AARP form just went into the trash can.

TinyAnne Jul 19, 2018

@zmanros63 You are right. I'm a member of AAA, and I can only say good things about them. I remember getting the application when I turned 50, but I did not think they accepted people in their 50's. Maybe it is new! Good Luck, and I believe you made a good decision.

NOT A DUMB ASS Apr 30, 2012

I AGREE AARP IS NOTHING BUT A BIG RIP OFF. THEY CONSTANTLY BOTHER PEOPLE WITH THEIR MAILINGS, THEY EVEN GO AS FAR AS TO SEND YOU THEIR MEMEBERSHIP CARD ALL READY FOR YOU WITH YOUR NAME AND EVERYTHING ON IT, ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS SEND THEM $16.00. AND YOU GET NOTHING IN RETURN FOR THIS $16.00. BUT IF THEY COLLECT ENOUGHT SUCKERS AT $16., 00 EACH THEY HAVE A COMFORTABLE SEAT FOR THEMSELVES. THEY SHOULD BE STOPPED THEY DO NOT HELP ANY SENIOR GET ANYTHING CHEAP. IF YOU ARE DUMB JOIN THEM, BUT IF YOU HAVE SOME SENSE IN YOUR BRAIN YOU WILL THROW OUT ALL THEIR MAILINGS AND IGNORE THEM. BIG RIP OFF, GOVERNMENT SHOULD LOOK INTO THIS COMPANY, AND STOP THEM. THE BIGGEST SCAM ON SENIORS IN USA.

TinyAnne Jul 19, 2018

@NOT A DUMB ASS Never been a member, so I just tear up the mail when I get it w/out opening it. Makes me feel good!

• Li
    Lillysin Jan 13, 2012

thts the insurance company not AARP itself

TinyAnne Jul 19, 2018

@Lillysin You have a kind heart and I wish you were right, but I have done so much research into AARP, and they are not what they seem to be. If you just want discounts, etc. join, but never trust their insurance companies, and KNOW that you money will go to support their politics (which are far left)...their personal insurance policies too. Pres Obama gave them millions of dollars (honestly) for helping pass Obama Care, an insurance that was way over priced/forced on many people who had no choice/ and are just not what they seem to be. Sorry to have to say this, but I want to be honest w/you.

• Da
    Dawn Michelle Oct 25, 2011

Despite the fact that Social Security is giving us a COLA, AARP keeps sending e-mails using scare tactics in order to get donations, probably to support their cushy offices. Enough already! I'm NOT renewing my membership!

TinyAnne Jul 19, 2018

@Dawn Michelle What are they going to do...Sue you for a membership???? Call your state Government office and ask them how you get this to stop. They should be able to help you,

joe amo May 27, 2011

I AGREE WITH YOU. I WANTED TERM LIFE INS. FOR MY WIFE WEKS AGO I SENT THEM A FORM & I THINK THEY FORGOT ABOUT MY INS. FOR MY WIFE. I, M NOIT HAPPY AT ALL WITH AARP INS. JOE

• Di
    Dixieone Feb 10, 2011

I want to complain about tax exempt low income senior apartment managers denying acceptance to seniors over 68 as tenants because of poor credit. I found out that if my husband and I earned $1500 less a year, we would be eligable for section 8 vouchers and no credit check would be done. My husband was very ill this past year, with over $8000 in Medicare co pays not covered by anyone then us. No cost of living increases for two years, and we cancelled all but basic cable. My husband was laid off in 07, and one week later I dislocated my shoulder and had major surgery.

We live in a low income tax exempt senior apartment, approved by Hud for two years, and yet now we feel we need to move near my daughter in Vermont, we are learning that low income management people are doing credit checks and refusing us, even though it was not our fault he was laid off, that I dislocated my shoulder, that we could not afford to pay most of our bills due to medical bills. That our part d went up for the past two years, as did our rent and other bills, with no cost of living increase. As it is we live in the Dollar store for a majority of our food and household products.

We are getting to be the new poor generation, and no one in D.C. wants to even think of helping us. We are not trying to rent an apartment that is private owned, where there are gaited communities, many amenties etc. We are looking for subsidized housing. It is not our fault we had bad luck, and don't even go there with you should have planned better. An auto accident took away my great career in the VA, as a RN CRM in 98, and I lost everything, including my retirement, which we had to l ive on until my disability for my head injury started. Bad things happen to good people, and now given the problems with the economy, layoff's foreclosures etc. management companies are not going to let people rent subsidized apartments. how about we demand that the people working in the management companies, pass criminal and credit checks to be employed by us, when we become tenants?

TinyAnne Jul 19, 2018

@Dixieone Please write and/or call your Senators for our state AND your house of representative person who represents you. They are frequently willing to help you. Have your daughter contact the Senators and Representatives in her state as well. Also write to the Governor of each state. Don't let them beat you. I would also write to Dr. Ben Carson, the black gentleman who ran for President. He is a truly caring man and his head of Health & Human Services. He should be able to help you find HELP. Wish I knew more to help!!!

• La
    laureljane Nov 14, 2010

I m tired of receiving stuff in the mail form AARP it started just after I turned 50. I never contacted them or requested an info. SO then all their flipping 'partners' start sending their junk to me. I called them told them to take me off their list. They did short term. I moved and they got my new address without me informing them of it guess they get list of people over 50. SO I got cards at my new address I returned them with a letter telling them to take me off the list. I called they said it takes 90 days which is BS!!! SO here it is some 90 days later and guess what I get in the mail? More cards!!! I am tretuning them in the pre paid envelope they sent to me too bad I can't tape it to a rock to send back. I will call them tomorrow and let them know that any further contact will result in legal action. No means NO!. chase is till sending me crap I stuff the return envelopes with recent election mail that i did not want and sent it to them they pay the flipping postage!!!

• Md
    M. DALBY Jun 29, 2010

I filled out the application to become a member and they applied it to the next door neighbors account and their address sending bthem the gifts I was suppose to get. I found this out because they sent me an e-mail thanking them for renewing their membership so you know they looked at the application. I contacted them they treated me as a lier, I finally got my bank to send them a copy of the check and reported them to the BBB they said to the BBB they were sorry but was not their fault that I lived at the same address as another member and would get my account set up and another free gift for the trouble. The only reason I know this a since I do not live at the neighbors House I live in my own house with my own address for the passed 27 years if the letters from BBB with a copy of their reports as to what happened. I was talking to the neighbor and they siad yes they had been getting junk amin in my name from AARP and just threw it away not knowing I was arguing with them. I DON'T THINK THIS ORGANIZATION KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO INVOLVED IN BLAIMING EVERYONE ELSE FOR THEIR MISTAKES.

• Bj
    b jarvis Dec 30, 2009

I joined aarp for senior support issues only to find their partner insurance company the hartford raised my rate by $250.00 a year when I got a ticket in a phote radar speed trap. I paid the ticket $125.00 but that was only the beginning over the next three years the hartfort will charge me a total of $750.00 in rate increases. I called them only to find out they really dont care. I cant wait to tell them screw me once shame on you screw me twice same on me sincerely B jarvis in portland oregon

TinyAnne Jul 19, 2018

@b jarvis I am getting ready to write to Harford...to tell them to lose the AARP support if they want any hope of getting Republican customers. This is disgusting. Turn them into the Better Business Bureau. Worked for me in the past!

• Co
    Compu_Doc Dec 17, 2009

AARP has always been and always will be a poster child for the Insurance Companies. They receive millions of dollars in endorsements from major companies that cater to the elderly. AARP does NOT care about the seniors...only the money from advertisers that they can push to the senior citizens in this country. I gave up on them and so have millions of others. Now AARP is pushing their touchy feely ads on T-V in an effort to pull seniors back into their membership. Don't do it. They are pawns of the Politicians and Spokesmen for large Corporations that only want to use seniors to boost their bottom lines.

@Compu_Doc Well said!

• Fa
    faithforall Dec 15, 2009

I was ready to join AARP simply because of their ongoing, almost intrusive advertiseing campaign. When I found out that they were endorsing the National Health Care Plan, (Obamacare) I quickly changed my mind. I then checked this site as well as others to find out what other seniors were saying about AARP. I was shocked! I think that everyone who belongs to AARO should reconsider their affiliation. After finding out about AARP I bagan to ask around locally as to how others felt about this organization and many have said the they will not renew when their current membership expires. I find that many seniors are angry with AARP and hope for their future failure and that a more esponsible organization will take their place.

jim Retired-MEDIC Aug 10, 2009

If your over 60 THATS ALL FOLK'S. Thanks AARP for all your support with the new Health care coverage

• Ol
    Old oilfield hand Jul 31, 2009

How can AARP continue to support a health care bill that is so patently anti senior. I have checked the few comment posts that they have on the subject and have not found 1 member that agrees with AARP's position. It's almost seems that they've been bought off or just don't care about what happens to their members. My wife and I will think long and hard before we renew our memberships or purchase anything from AARP.

• Go
    GoldenAger Jul 25, 2009

It is time for us to dump this organization- how in the world could they endorse the Obama health plan. Senior will be the ones who suffer. If you don't believe me just do a little reading on Dr Emmanuels stance on restricting health care to the elderly. Gone will be the opportunity to get a knee replacement, or any other kind of helath care. Wake up people and quit paying those damn dues!

TinyAnne Jul 19, 2018

@GoldenAger AMEN...And I am so glad I read this. I read about 175 pages of Obama Care: and U are right. I got to the part of bill called : COMPLETE LIVES SYSTEM written by Dr. Zeke Emmanuel. IT IS HEALTH CARE RATIONING. Remember when people made fun of Sarah Palan said there was a death panel in the insurance. THIS IS IT. I'm 70, so I'm on the downhill. I don't have nor will have Obama Care, but I know some ppl had to get it. I went to a small town Insurance Broker, and he found me an insurance policy with WPH Wisconsin Physicians Company. Costs about $240 a month. So far no problems, but have only had it since Jan. 1, 2018. My doctor suggested it. He felt it would be fair, and I've know my MD for 40 years!

TinyAnne Jul 19, 2018

@TinyAnne OOps, , Got carried away. Complete Lives Systems controls lives at our youngest people too. I am making up a situation: But say you have a 1 year old and a 4 year old. There is only one organ available. The one year old has only 1 COMPLETE LIFE/ The four year old has FOUR COMPLETE LIVES.. .So the Organ goes to the 4 yr old. This was so shocking to me. I can't believe there is actually one other person who knew this.

I've written to every news organization: most of the reporters on TV @ Fox News...and Called our Local TV stations. NOT ONE OF THEM WOULD PUT OUT A REPORT ON THIS. WHY NOT??? If the Republicans would just tell the people that Obama Care...the Dem Insurance policy was RATIONING HEALTH CARE...America would be shocked. God Bless U, and nice to find a kindred spirit...

• Fi
    firefly Jul 22, 2009

I complained about Balafonte being selected as their "Man of the Year" and they unilaterally canceled my menbership. OK by me as all they seemed to do is soak me for my membership. I found that almost everthing that they offered could have been come by cheaper outside of AARP inculding medicare suppliment programs.

TinyAnne Jul 19, 2018

@firefly You have got to be kidding. Why should they care. Just another example of their Democratic Party leanings. Stay away from anything w/their name, and I'm so sorry. I "thought" America was the land of Free Speech. God Bless!

• Ap
    ap4190 May 27, 2009

I have had this company for 3 years, not one single claim or problem, so out of the blue they raised my insurance 50.00 with out my approval.this is very bad business in my book

• Go
    goyum Dec 27, 2016

@ap4190 You are lucky!! They raised my renewal rates by about $500 or 30% in 1 year, and we had no claims, no accidents, over 65 and excellent credit scores. Called AARP. Typical response is "Not our responsibility or problem." AARP just gets BIG fees for pushing Hartford, United Healthcare, Medical Advantage Insurance. AARP execs get million dollar salaries. Members get 10% of some services!! We need ANOTHER Senior Citizen Organization that works for members, not a political organization that does NOTHING. Our COA for this year is about .1%--AARP had done NOTHING!!

• Vi
    Virginia M Aponte Feb 20, 2009

I do not know if this is the correct website but I wanted to bring this to someone's attention.

Walgreens advertises if you switch your prescription to them you would get a $25.00 walgreens gift credit card. I transferred a prescription and upon picking it up, I was told that senior citizens are not eligible to participate in this program. It is a federal/state law.

I truly beg to differ, we have worked in this country, paid our taxes and continue to pay them on our checks and spend money just like everyone else. I do believe we are being discrimated upon. I would to have guidance on to whom to address this grave disturbing isssue.

My email address is [email protected]

• Gw
    gwdanley Feb 10, 2009

On 2/10/09 I renewed my yearly subscription to AARP. The cost was 12.50. I used a debit card from an account that had a small amount of money in it. AARP withdrew the 12.50 twice, causing an overdraft charge of 20.00 because I was overdrawn by 1.81. When I contacted the AARP representative, I was told that they would refund the 12.50 for the second non-requested (by myself) amount of 12.50. But I was also told that the 20.00 for the overdraft was my problem. They claimed it was submitted twice by myself. The problem is that I used the firefox browser and then when I confirmed the payment, their system crashed. I re-submitted the request on Explorer and it went through. I was told that I should have confirmed that the original and that because I didn't it was my fault that I incurred the order draft costs. I will buy nothing from AARP again and I will NOT recommend them for anything. I am not surprised that others are having problems with this organization.

TinyAnne Jul 19, 2018

@gwdanley I use Firefox all of the time. I have yet to have any payment not go through. They just make it difficult.

• Wa
    W.A.H Dec 01, 2008

I am an independent agent for AARP, I underwrite insurance for several other companies also. I can honestly tell you that AARP cares nothing about it's members. I have over several clients right now who can't get their medical cards or clients that are having to buy expensive drugs out of their own pocket because they don't have their Rx cards. AARP doesn't have the reputation it use to but I continue to sell it because that's what people want, A cheap product they can complain about. You can e-mail your questions or concerns to [email protected] or if you have questions for AARP their customer support number is [protected]

TinyAnne Jul 19, 2018

@W.A.H I absolutely believe this. The companies PAY AARP FOR THE USE OF THEIR AARP. That to me is not a partnership. When the teacher who created AARP to help retired, female teachers, the motives were great! BUT ...there is a web site: opensecrets.org. I have found so much great info there. U can see how AARP spends its money. They give abour $175, 000 to each political party. This is to try to trick you. The rest of the money goes to their lobbyists, and they are completely on the side of donating to the Dem Party.

This would be fine if they were upfront about it. BUT THEY PRETEND TO BE A HELPFUL organization. Some of the members/staff may be: but the only goal is to be politically active in favor of the Democrats. We might not have been stuck w/Obama Care had AARP not fully supported, and they received an millions from the Obama administration for their trouble. I "think" they also got an insurance company, but I don't remember the details.

TO ME: AARP should be like a Consumer Reports for Seniors. That would be great. But it is not. It is biased and completely in the pocket of the Democrats. Some may not mind, but I find this so dishonest...Pretending to be a nice organization to help you, but they are not. Sorry to burst your bubbles re: AARP.

• Ju
    Juanette H. Tomlinson Jun 06, 2008

Made reservation through AARP, when arrived at hotel it was very undesirable a dump. Arrived on May 22 had reservations for 22
    and 23 to check out on 24. Called AARP they moved us to a Holiday Inn at 10000 Baltimore
    Ave. Charged us a Cancellatio fee.
    I would kindly appreciate it if AARP would absorb this fee because you booked us in a dump. The reputatiio that AARP has lead me to believe that you would not book guest in a DUMP!!!. Trip #[protected]. Why would you expect a person to lay in a bed in a dump.
    Why does AARP allow their workers to book guest in a Dump. I've never seen a desk clerk behind a glass window before in a hotel. Ther was not a light on in the lobby.
    What were they trying to hide.
    The curtains from outside the guest rooms were dingy. They were street intrances.
    They man behind the glass was unkept. This
    place was a dump. I would not leave horses in that place.