Wells Fargo Bankthey treat you as if you are a felon

My wife and i needed a paper notarized and took it to our bank that we have been at for years and have a car loan with, when we took the paper to the bank to have it notarized and ask the teller if a notary was one duty she look at us like we were their to rob the bank.my wife asked again for the notary she said what do need one for so my wife showed her the paper she took it from my wife and read the paper and said wait a minute and she will check and see if one was their, then another lady comes up reads the paper and decided to notarize it took our finger prints for a mortgagor affidavit never in my life did i have my finger prints taken just to have a paper notarized.Maybe i should take their finger prints when my wife and i deposit or money in the bank. The banks are sure getting to be a pain.

• mollyemt Sep 08, 2012

i am a regular customer with wells fargo and have used their notary services several times. a notary is used ONLY to verify that the signature that you put on a piece of documentation is truly yours. they have NO right to read the document whatsoever. they should ask for a government issued form of identification (i.e. drivers license) and have you sign the document then compare the signature with the identification. they then will affix their stamp saying that it indeed is your signature. nothing more, nothing less. reading any documentation that you submit for signature verification is not their business and is not legal. fingerprinting is NOT part of any notary service that i am aware of. if i were you, i would raise holy hell with the bank manager and demand that the fingerprint records be destroyed in front of me.

• Cn
    CNaylor Sep 05, 2014

Some states require a thumbprint in the notaries journal for certain documents. However it is a National Notary Association best practice to take thumbprints on all notarizations. Why? To prevent fraud. How? Most criminals won't leave a thumb print willingly behind, but someone who is making a lawful transaction has nothing to worry about. The notary doesn't have a personal need for your thumbprint, it's there for the courts if someday there is an issue with the transaction recorded in the journal. In other words it's there for your protection. Whether it be to incriminate a fraudster, or provide support for your claim that you did in fact sign something when another party questions it.
    I don't work for Wells Fargo, but I've been a Notary for over 15 years. WFB is just following a best practice of the preeminent Notary association in the USA.

• Da
    Darisan May 22, 2016

I wonder how from one look the teller gave you, you got oh she's making me fell like I'll rob the bank. WTH! The teller looked at your document to see if their notary will be able to notarize it. Wells Fargo can't notarize certain documents like wills, deeds, trusts or POA docs. In fact a notary can decline notarizing a document even if they are at a bank or on the streets. So in order for you not to wait in vain she ASKED your "what do need one for"? According to what you wrote. Your wife didn't answer oh it's for a mortgagor affidavit, your wife just gave her the document, that's why the teller had to read it and see what It is for. Like one of the logical comments said. The notary journal has a space for a fingerprint. The notary can decide whether or not to take fingerprints in their journal to be safe. Wells Fargo can not mandate that. I wonder how was the bank a pain? You didn't have to wait in the lobby for a while, the teller called a notary to the window to help you. This sounds like you were the pain.

• Pa
    Paws Barkley Jun 06, 2016

Why, exactly, is it that Wells Fargo cannot notarize documents of the type you listed? Not that I don't believe you but, no, in fact, I don't believe you.