Waste Management [WM] Logo

Waste Management [WM]

Having problems with Waste Management [WM]?

Waste Management [WM] reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Aug 15, 2007. The latest review Trash Pickup was posted on Jun 15, 2021. The latest complaint Recycling bin hasnt been emptied in three weeks was resolved on Apr 26, 2021. Waste Management [WM] has an average consumer rating of 4 stars from 225 reviews. Waste Management [WM] has resolved 154 complaints.

Waste Management [WM] Customer Service Contacts

1001 Fannin Street
Houston, Texas
United States - 77002-6711

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Waste Management [WM] Customer Service. Initial Waste Management [WM] complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Waste Management [WM] above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Waste Management [WM]. Discuss the issues you have had with Waste Management [WM] and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Waste Management [WM] Complaints & Reviews

Waste Managementdeceptive practices

We have been using waste management for our home/small business for several years and watched the service go downhill and the tricks go up. One that hasn't been pointed out here is their constant schedule change.
So we are to have our dumpster picked up the first thursday of a full calendar week of the month. Three months goes by and that pick up gets pushed to the second friday of the second week of the month. Three months later the fourth monday of the month, and three months later the first friday of a full calendar week of the month. Now that would seem they are just busy and need to rearrange their driver's schedule a little, but the schedule is never moved back always forward and four times in a 12 month year means they have just shorted you a full month and your dumpster is overflowing with an extra weeks of garbage, which they charge you for a double pick up.
Another wm scam? I think so.

• Ca
      can12345 Jun 20, 2015

From my experience with WM i realize they will do anything to have their way, which is to charge you the most. Their statements are misleading. They promise nice things over the phone and do not do anything, or do completely the opposite. Share your experience at Facebook Waste Management Reviews. Hopefully David Sneider will reply.

Waste Managementbilling and service

I agree with... Waste management is to worst company anybody can ever have services with. I originally began my first experience with and I had pickup and billing problems with them from day one. They have missed pickup days, they have picked up however, they left trash all around the trash can that fell out while they were dumping. Worst of all problems with waste management is the billing. I left waste management and went to a company called louie's waste. I was happy with louie's, they had excellent services and billing. But louie's ended up selling out to waste management and I was once again back to the poor excuse for a company. I was so pissed to find this out. This company charges you $35 as a late fee and another $35 to resume services if you are discontinued. There fees are equivalent to 3 months of service. That # don't make any sense. I have obtained services elsewhere with another company and hopefully this new company will provide better services all around.
    Best regards cory turner

Waste Management — extra charges on my bill, not authorized

I have my Waste Management bill automatically taken out by the company every month. The bill is typically in...

Maple Valley

Waste Management — never picked up trash

Prior to moving to my new residence, I contacted waste management and set up trash collection services. I...

Waste Managementdeposit refund

I had a giant dumpster delivered to my home for yard debris removal. Waste management requires $650 deposit from which to deduct the charges for their service and refund the rest. They are holding my refund for 1 whole month! This is morally wrong, it seems to me that they could process a refund quicker than that. Are they collecting interest on my money that is sitting in their bank account??

WMsucks Sep 23, 2013

Waste Management's service is so incredibly poor they cannot figure out how to deliver trash containers to my house, even after they promise to do so. I guess I can forget about having trash picked up. Read all the similar stories online.

Waste Management — resume service fee

Waste management (wm) charged me for $20 (resume service fee) and 0.96 due to my late payment for the last...

Waste Management# backwards

Basically the worst.
        I could write paragraphs detailing the many phone calls and emails and discussions i've had with waste management northwest employees regarding failed garbage and recycling pickups.
        Suffice to say, they have their heads up their behinds.
        Never have I experienced such bad attitudes and unprofessional, blame shifting behavior from a business. Usually, if you have a problem with a low level employee and ask to speak to their manager you can eventually find a supervisor who understands the basic tenants of customer service. Not so with waste management. They uniformly fail to provide even minimal customer service. There is no way to follow up with the same person, the only way to contact them is by their 1800 number.

At one point (about a year into this problem), they suggested that the problem with pickup was that my cans are beyond 3 feet from the curb. There actually is no curb or sidewalks in my neighborhood - the cans are about 8 feet from the street. Hoping to be able to stop "problems solving" with this company, I agreed to pay an additional fee because the cans are beyond 3 feet. I still receive notices from the company that my cans can't be picked up because they are beyond 3 feet. Repeat: I pay them a fee to pick up beyond three feet... They continue to use "beyond 3 feet" as a reason why it wasn't picked up.

I'm basically in shock that this company exists. I assume they will be going out of business soon.

• Ri
            RichH57 Sep 14, 2013

Time to get a lawyer and take them to court to get your money back!! If you have all the canceled checks/bank statements for the "extra service fee", then you WILL WIN.

Waste Managementuber bad service

I was late paying my bill. Yes, my bad. I, unfortunately, didn't have enough in my account to pay the waste management bill the same time I paid my mortgage, water, electric and didn't even have enough to buy groceries. I lived on ramen noodles for the next 2 weeks before my next payday. I understood that they have to harass me by phone twice daily when my bill came due and I understood that they refused to collect my garbage the week my bill came due. But what I don't understand is why after I paid my bill, they still refused to collect my garbage 2 consecutive weeks. They took my money but didn't have the decency to provide me the service for which I paid for. Now I am left with no recourse but to file a complaint with the better business bureau and consumer protection services. I wish the local government will pay heed to the people's complaint and re-think about using the services of this company again. It was going well when garbage collection was serviced by a local company and not by the # waste management company from out of state.

Waste Managementhorrible company!

Do not use this company!
            I wish I had read all the horrible reviews online before I signed up because they are all true. Our rates have doubled in a year and a half because they kept raising the basic rate, plus adding in all kinds of “fees.” and their excuses about their costs going up are bogus. I called 3 other companies in my area and they will all provide the same service at half of what waste management is charging. Then when I tried to cancel my contract, I got hit with a 6 month cancellation fee plus other charges – over $1200! Their fees are exorbitant, their customer service is awful (don’t return phone calls, make no attempts to resolve the problems), and their one-sided service contracts allow them to raise their fees to whatever they want and you are legally bound to pay it! Stay away from them.

• Pr
                Pro Bono Sep 24, 2014

Take advantage of your local conciliation court. You can easily find violations on their part to file a complaint. Get a copy of the contract from them and look for teaser items like $100 off, which the court will interpret as $100 off every month. Also per contract you are allowed to terminate if they raise the rates for specific reasons. If they did not cite specific reasons, which they don't, in their notices, you can claim the value of the increases. Typically, they will cite vague reasons like 'may be a number of reasons...'. If they don't collect the container after cancellation, which is their tactic to hinder switching providers, call the local police department. Many small businesses have successfully won judgements against them in small claims courts. Many law firms, including Attorney Generals, are investigating Waste Management for class action lawsuits, but small claims court is your best option for immediate results.

• Si
                sinmiedo Jan 04, 2012

Start by investigating one of your supervisors of a recycling plant in Newark, NJ. Harrasing and threatening employees but he knows to which person he has to tell that stuff. Like if you don't help me I'm going F everyone here making their lives misserable, be strong or leave, drinking on the plant if I continue maybe I have to take the whole day writing. Some of the people who want to work have to leave because they can't take that kind of things almost everyday. No one talks against him they don't want to lose their job although I had a person that was willing to help me. He should learn not to be involved sentimentally with his employees too.

WMCares Nov 28, 2011

Kmkallay, my name is Lisa with customer care at Waste Management. I'm very sorry to hear about your contract concerns and that customer service failed to meet your expectations in resolving the problem. I understand you have already cancelled your account but if there is anything I can do to help improve the situation, or if you would simply like to share more information regarding your experience, please send an email with your account information to [email protected]

Waste Managementno service

I requested service on may 2, 2011. They committed to deliever the dumpster on may 3rd, did not occur, they commited to pick up trash on mondays which has not occured todate. I have called the call center 8 times, and yet to have waste management meet the verbal or contractual commitments. They sent a bill, and contained a charge for $42.36, which they could not explain. If you have an option, I would use someone else!

WMsucks Sep 23, 2013

Same thing is happening to me. Waste Management is the worst.

WMCares Nov 28, 2011

My name is Lisa with customer care at Waste Management. Are you still not being serviced as promised? Please send an email with your account info to [email protected] so we can help resolve this for you asap.

wmbil10 Apr 21, 2011

Please all of you contact me. I hate their service. One quarter there was no past due amount, January of 2011 I get a bill that charges the current due amount no problem on my credit card, but then all of a sudden there is a past due amount. Then a few weeks later the reinstatement fee. Nothing in the mail. The only reason I knew is because all of a sudden I was getting an email confirmation for over 120 dollars, bill normally around 90, and then I am being charged separately 38. Then again this month. Funny how all payments are going through without any change to my credit profile. I am calling tomorrow but from past experience it isn't going to be fun. I am going to get an audio recording this time. I setup an email in hope of getting responses to build a profile to fight back.
                  email me your concise story with how you could prove it. I can easily prove it by showing my invoices to a judge I would even post publicly by just removing my name, account, and address. Take pictures holding up your cell phone or the current days paper, get audio, and get invoices online as proof.

• Fr
                  Fred Jul 30, 2009

From Pleasant Hill to San Ramon, CA. There is always problem and poor service by Waste management .

Messed up billing system (pleasant hill 2009 Feb)

Moved to new place, they failed to clear trash can two weeks in a roll. Wait a long time to have someone answered only to give another empty promise.

Are we american stupid or what? why allow a company like this to monopolise garbage services. Tired of complaining about this company.

Waste Managementlazy

I live in apartments, and I take the trash out atleast 3 times a week, and I hate it. Only because there is always trash bags all around the waste management bin and not in it! Sometimes I make the effort to pick some up, but I feel it's not my job. When waste management takes the trash on wednesday mornings I look out the window to see if the pick up the access trash around the bin, as I watched the process I noticed that they push the trash to back of the bin and who knows whats back there hiding. It's gross, there needs to be some manual labor, rather than just a machine that picks up a bin and dumps the trash in the truck, someone or some worker/position willing to get out of the truck and pick up the access trash bags/ trash.

WMCares Nov 16, 2011

Sweetd, my name is Lisa with customer care at Waste Management. Sorry to hear your concern about excess trash around the container. This may be an issue of the container needing to be emptied more frequently to keep up with the amount of trash generated by the tenants. Or it could also be an issue of communicating with tenants to keep trash confined within the container. If you can send us an email with your address and apartment name to [email protected] we would be happy to research the account. Thank you, Lisa

• JuliePooh51265 Nov 07, 2011

This is an issue to take up with your manager and landlord. There must be maintenance guys who work there and this should be part of their job.

Waste Managementabsolutely the worst company I ever dealt with

Absolutely the worst company I ever dealt with. But their contract is totally one sided. They keep on increasing your rate and no opt out.

• Ds
                      Dstirbl Sep 11, 2012

I agree 100%. I can't understand how WM can Get away with what they are doing. Something needs to be done. Please lets get read of this company, its is very unfair that they be the only ones to service the entire City of Santa Ana. If we would have a democratic system we should be able to choose our trash compnay like any oter bussiness. In other cities, example Costa Mesa, you have about 10 trash companies to pick up. The ones to blame is the City of Santa Ana for awading the contract to WM year after year.
                      Please joint this forum and lets get together and make a petition to get read of WM ASAP.

Waste Managementovercharge

I am a customer of waste management & have been for the last 9 years. There was a random charge on my last bill of $18.48, I didn't look at my bill closely, so paid it. On my latest bill the random $18.48 has been added again. I phoned wm today (08/19/11 - spoke with a customer service rep, then stephanie floor lead/supervisor) they told me it was their mistake & they couldn't explain why it had been added, but I have to pay it anyway & they will then credit my account on my next bill. I told them I cannot afford to pay the random charge/mistake then to be reimbursed in two months time. I was told if I do not pay this random added charge again, I may incure late fees!! After hearing this I asked if I could speak with a manager, only to be told that the manager had just gone into a meeting & will only repeat the same anyway. I'm outraged that I have overpaid on my last bill and now have to overpay on this bill when I can't afford to.

WMCares Oct 24, 2011

My name is Lisa with Customer Care at Waste Management. Thank you for sharing your feedback and being a loyal customer for nine years. I'm sorry though to hear about your recent billing situation and would like to help! Please email your account information and this complaint to [email protected] and we'll work with your local office to understand what is happening and how we can fix it as soon as possible. Thank you.

• Mi
                        miami-sci Oct 22, 2011

CALL YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY AND FILE A DISPUTE, BY LAW ITS ILLEGAL FOR THEM TO DO THAT. DON'T PAY.

Waste Management — price increases!

Waste management is increasing all of their rates and fees again!!! You can call for a price rollback before...

Waste Managementterrible service

On friday, september 2nd, 2011 I called waste management of alameda county, in the city of oakland california, to start garbage service for a duplex I had just purchased. The account was opened and the garbage containers were supposed to be delivered to my tenants on monday morning sept 5, (garbage pick up day) when monday came and no containers were delivered, I called and was assured that on on tueday sept 6 I would get the garbage containers. When no containers arrived on tuesday I called again and was told that for sure on wednesday they would be delivered. When wednesday came and no containers arrived I called and spoke to supervisor carla who assured that the following day thursday I would get the garbage containers. When thursday came and no containers were delivered I spoke to supervisor trina and her supervisor amy, who said that route supervisor was out delivering the containers and that my address was on the route. Today is friday and I still dont have trash containers for my tenants. They moved in on the 1st have paid their rent and I cannot furnish a garbage container for them even though I opened the account on time. I have tried to complain to the wm's home office in houston texas, I have tried to put a complaint in the city of oakland, who is really at fault because they have created a monopoly in the city and there is no other company to go to.in the internet I have read all the horror stories related to this company and feel blessed that my story is not as bad as theirs. What can you do for me?

WMCares Oct 21, 2011

Sorry to hear about your issues in getting containers delivered. Please send your account information to [email protected] so that we can help work with your local area to understand what is happening and how we can help.

Waste Management — unreasonable cancellation fees

We've used this companies business service service for the last 10 years only because they are the only trash...

Waste Managementfraud

I just found out that this company has been chrging me for an extra trash can for probably the past 8 yrs. They use to charge me in a lump sum but recently the billing system changes in the city of south gate and now they break it down, which is when I noticed the fraudulent charges. I contacted the compnay but they have told me that they can only refund me for 12 months. They told me but they have not given me a credit. I am thinking of taking them to court. Any thoughts?

[email protected]

Waste Managementunion workers won't go the extra mile

Waste mgnt did not pick up my green bin for two weeks, I called and they said sticks were were sticking out. My green bins go empty 80% of the year. These union workers need a smack upside the head. when the rest of us are out of work and they have their fat contract but won't make a little extra effort they are making a big lazy mistake. Because when they go up for a bid for the next contract I will make sure they don't get considered.

wm lo Sep 14, 2013

I have worked for waste management for 20 years and I don't know about union workers but I get paid by the hour and for 20 years of service I don't make what people think I do I use to take pride in who I work for but then they came out with new things that cut in to the bottom line a employee can make they stop paying for vacation time not used so there went money for Christmas time and now they took our safety bouns and made them into a point system which isn't worth nothing

antoinefischer Jun 11, 2012

I agree

Waste Managementlousy service

I rented a dumpster from waste managment for what was supposed to be eleven days, april 16 to april 26. The dumpster wasn't deliverd on the 16th, which was a friday. When I called to complain, I was told to call back on monday, becouse it was after normal buisness hours. The local office was only a few block away, so I drove by to see if anybody was there, which there was. The guy I talked too said told me I wasn't in their system to get a dumpster deliverd that day, even though I had a reciept showing that I was indead supposed to get one.
                            They sent someone out the next morning (saturday) to look at my property, and told me there was no way they could put the dumpster in the driveway, but they could leave it in the street if I had a permit from the city, which I couldn't get untill monday. So I finally got my dumpster 3 days late, and they they did manage to pick it up on time, but there's still the matter of the three days I paid for but didn't get.

Waste Managementstay away

Stay away from this company if you want a better life. Don't sign a contract with this company, or you will be locked forever since it requires you to send a termination letter between 90days to 120 days ahead of time if you don't want to renew your contract, and you know what, majority of people will forget after three years. If you signed a contract or the contract gets automatically renewed and you forget to canacel it, you will end up paying six months' liquidation damage (what is that?) if you want to terminate the service.

Josh Aug 13, 2010

I signed a contract with waste management three years ago, and the third month after I signed the contract, this company charged me $75 more than the contract price, saying it was for the overflowing charge. I was so frustrated since this is a rental property and I can not be there everyday to watch my trash can, so I called this company to see whether I could discontinue its service, and the agent told me if I discontinue, I need to pay a 6-month liquidation charge which amounted to more than $650. I gave up and patiently waited for this contract to be over.

Near the end of the three year term, I sent a letter to this company saying that I don't want to renew my contract when the contract is over. By the way, to terminate the contract, you have to send this company a written notice at least 90 days, but not more than 180 days prior to the termination of the existing term, guess how many business men or women can remember to do that? But if you don't remember, your contract will be automatically renewed and if you want to break the contract, you need to pay that hefty liquidation damage charge!

Well, I did that and I called several times to make sure this company got my letter (whenever I call, the call always needs to be transferred and after the transfer, always an answer machine), finally I got a call back, and the agent told me she didn't get the letter! well, I called to confirm the address before I sent the letter, and I used return receipt requested certified letter, the tracking from the post office showed her office did get the letter! Then I was asked to send the letter again, ok, I sent it and also saying the last month's charge needs to be prorated since it is only less than half-month service, the agent told me she will prorate it. But when the bill came, not only I was charged for full month service, there was also an extra $75 removal fee which is not on the original contract either. I called again and again, the agent finally returned my call, saying she will give me credit for this coming month's bill, but when the bill came, NO CREDIT at all except more charges such as late fee, administration fee etc., which means I need to run this painful cycle of calling, leave a message, no response, then call again, leave a message... the contract was over on 6/12/2010, until today which is 7/29/2010, nearly two months passed, this company can not even give me a correct final bill. Just think about how much time I wasted on this!

Besides this customer service issue, this company has billing issues too. My contract price is $115 per month, for the past three years, this company constantly increases its charges and other hidden fees, by the end of the three-year term, I am paying average $165 per month, which is 43% more than the original contract price.