Virgin Activeproblems with club membership agreement

M

I entered an agreement of a gym membership at Virgin Active (Cape Town South Africa) for a period of 1 year. I have checked on the complaintsboard.com and found that there are many consumers who have this complaint.

After my year contract ended, funds were being deducted from my account on a continued monthly basis even though i was overseas and i was not accessing the gym for these months and even 2 months prior to leaving i was not accessing the gym. When opening the account, i was not informed that this membership would continue after the 1 year. I find this to be very misleading to consumers.

2/3 Months after returning, i received a call saying that i owe certain amount for the monthly deductions. Surely if a member hasn't been accessing the gym, there is a valid reason and why would any person let money be deducted from their account when all it takes is a call or a letter being sent to cancel the ongoing membership after this year.

Finally, to conclude. I recently opened a new membership with Virgin Active, assuming this previous issue which i had last heard from in October 2005 was resolved. Virgin Active NOW, opens a new membership for me and i pay my joining fee, then when i came to access the gym, my card was denied. Not only did they make me drive all the way out to gym, but this was an embarrassing experience too.

They now say that i need to pay this outstanding amount before i can access the gym again. Even though i don't mind paying this fee, i should NOT have to pay this.

In my view, they are very misleading in their approach and i am extremely unsatisfied with this service.

I thank you for viewing my complaint.

Best Regards,
Ameen
Waterside Place
South Gate
Carl Cronje' Drive
Tyger Valley

Jack Smith May 24, 2007

You need to read your contract more carefully in the future.

Mandy-Jo Lovell Nov 26, 2008

I have an account with Virgin Active...It was a two year contract.

I opened this account in December 2007, firtsly they deducted more mony off my bank account than I agreed in this contract.

I was offered a brilliant opportunity in Bahrain for work and needed to cancel this account, Virgin Active refused me to close this account, so i tried to transfere it to another person of which i had some one more than willing to take over the account and they refused!!!

Virgin Active than phoned me and informed me that i had to pay 50% of the contract for the full two years to cancel it or i would face legal fees and they said i had a outstanding amount on my account.

The outstanding amount was for one month of which they did not deduct the money from my account and 50% of they full two year contract is on years worth of which i do not get any service or gym access.

The account is alredy passin one year so that 50% is paid already, as far as i am concerned.

I am already in Bahrain and there is a Virgin Active here so I really do not see the point in them being so difficult about transfereing my account here!

I am highly dissatisfied with Virgin Active, the staff is rude and do not understand the meaning of customer care!!!
    Virgin Active is very miss leading and do not offer any help or support in any manner!

I would never suggest Virgin Active to any body and I will never again use Virgin Active as I find them unhelpful, rude, and a very unethical company.

Mandy Lovell
    South Africa to Bahrain
    Never a customer of Virgin Active again!!!

• Za
    Zamah Jul 23, 2014

I would like to place a complaint about Virgin Active(Durban-Workshop), the poor service that they are rendering, especially the Steam Room, they have been Repairing it from the beginning of this year, and every time I go there, its faulty, its so annoying because we pay full installments there but the service there is a disgrace. If this is not resolved I will have to take further steps and go via Hello Peter, because this is not fair. The untidiness there, its pathetic, too many people, training rooms smell, and for those of us that have sinuses, its really affecting our health, not too mention the machines, only few are working and the rest are broken, I am very disappointed with Virgin Active.

Zama Ntshangase

• Kh
    Khaya Jara Jun 26, 2017

I'm a member at the Brackenfell virgin active gym and since Brackenfell is small gym I was told I may get my smoothie at any other virgin active, I would like to place a complaint against Robyn Swart who is the receptionist at the Cape Gate virgin active. I was at the Cape gate virgin active on the 18/06/2017 to get my smoothie as usual. One of the reception ladies, Robyn Swart, was incredibly rude and made racial remarks aimed at me and gave me a hard time when I went to fetch my smoothie. While I was waiting on the attendant to finish my smoothie, I could see that she was still having anger issues and kept staring at me as if I had done something wrong. When I was on my way out she called me and asked for my name and cell number and I asked her why she wanted it? Her reply was that she wants to keep it on the computer. I asked her:" do you ask everyone who's getting a smoothie for their details?"
    She replied that there are few Black people who are coming and get smoothies at the gym. To me it appears that Robyn has racist issues with Black clients. I went to get my smoothie again yesterday on the 24/06/2017 and she wouldn't let me go and get it. I was visibly upset as that lady is so racist. I mentioned it to her and the other guy who was at the reception desk. According to my understanding if you work as receptionist you should be friendly and helpful to all clients - not choose between black and white clients. As a result, I’ve decided to go to another virgin active to get my smoothie – where I won’t be subjected to negative racial attitudes.
    Khaya Jara

• Mi
    Misssm Aug 14, 2018

Please have a check of your tapes from the Edenglen virgin active between 19:10 and 19:21 quite disturbing the screaming and laughing at the counter the gatherings and lack of respect for the individuals entering. Staff on their phones... it's sad that the Standard isn't the same across the board

• Sh
    Shantel Reddy Aug 20, 2018

I've notified the Grayston club at least 6 times from January till May 18 and they keep on taking my number saying that the manager will get back to me. The deal was valid until end of March. This is not my problem and I want a refund.

• La
    Landile Aug 28, 2018

Good day. It has been over three months now the tap in Bluff Virgin Active is not fixed. Three months ago the management put a note saying please handle with care. We pay every month for gym, we would like to receive a good service.

May this please be actioned.

• Be
    Bernie Rohregger Sep 28, 2018

I signed my son up for a 1 year contract at Virgin Active Glen Acres, Kempton Park.
    At the time we were assured that my son could access the gym at any time.
    2 days after signing the contract I was informed that my son could only access the gym between the hours of 08H00 - 16H00.
    This is fraud in my eyes. How can you just change a contract after its been signed???
    Seems to me that the sales staff (Thandiwe) will say and promise anything just to get you signed up (I guess they get commission for every contract).
    Seems to me that Virgin Active as a company condones this fraudulent, unethical behaviour.
    My son is now being harassed and refused entry outside of the times mentioned above.
    Are the sales staff above the law or do they get to make their own rules/laws at Virgin Active???
    A comment from management would be appreciated and I will not leave it at that.
    Extremely disgusted with Virgin Active company morals and standards.

• Du
    DullX007 Oct 21, 2018

Hi. I just want to lay a complaint for the poor management of the way the renovation at VA Century City was handled. How does it takes over two months to complete a shower facility??!!! This affects my training and I feel this could have been handled in a better manner. I gym before work so you can imagine how inconvenient this is!!!

• Si
    Sierrabravo556 Oct 22, 2018

The music at Virgin Active Hillcrest is driving me up the wall. The same songs at the same time, day in and day out. It's mind numbing. I have tried to ask the gym staff but they just smile and shrug their shoulders.
    Please endeavour to sort this issue out, or else I'll have to take this up on another platform.

Mariolet Feb 12, 2019

I was promised that a manager will contact me on Monday but still nothing. It is now 2 weeks trying to sort out my problem, can any manager please contact me on [protected]. I really don't know what to do anymore and in the meanwhile our accounts are behind.

• Am
    amy leigh Wyness Sep 24, 2019

I was given a false sales pitch and my first debit was double expected

I called Sanctuary and was helped by the Stuart. I was promised a refund of the difference between the premium amount that was debited and the charge for the downgrade he told me I had to make. It has been over 2 weeks and no refund and he doesn't not respond to any emails.

• Da
    DaniellaK Sep 25, 2019

Classes get cancelled without notice, dirty changing rooms, old torn mats, instructors come late, no GM ever to talk to. Mid management helpless and incompitent! Capetown HO unreachable . Not the first complaint and no response or improvement!

• Es
    Estia Estia Nov 11, 2019

My debit order did not go off. I paid however on Monday morning at my Watermeyer branch. From Monday I received SEVEN calls from Virgin Active! I am totally frustrated and unhappy with your service.

• So
    sorinadi Nov 11, 2019

I am being harassed by V. active to renew my son's membership!!! I have told V Active employees that I do not wish to take a new one, they said they will make a note on the system didn't
    I only imagine that is a cut throat business conduct in this company, 20 people phoning me even from other town
    my membership :[protected] and my son was on it

• Ya
    Yantolo Nov 21, 2019

Good day I have lodged a compliant regarding my account I am still not happy about the process I am kindly waiting for a gym management to contact me, while waiting for him I made a phone call doing enquire about my case I am told that my contract is cancelled and I must pay R4000 and something, why must I pay that for something that I was never told about.