Having problems with United Airlines?

United Airlines Customer Service Contacts

131 777 (Australia)
1800 900 5000 (Mexico)
800 162 323 (Brazil)
+1 800 864 8331 (USA and Canada)
+44 845 607 6760 (United Kingdom)
+32 22 008 868 (Belgium)
+45 70 126 233 (Denmark)
+358 80 096 070 (Finland)
+31 203 469 381 (Netherlands)
+351 214 159 102 (Portugal)
+41 224 177 280 (Switzerland)
+852 28 104 888 (Hong Kong)
+65 68 733 533 (Singapore)
+82 27 510 300 (South Korea)
+27 114 631 147 (South Africa)
+966 920 002 185 (Saudi Arabia)
+54 115 198 1441 (Argentina)
233 S. Wacker Drive
Chicago, Illinois
Mailing Address
PO Box 06649, Chicago, IL 60606-0649

Offices

• 1450 Ala Moana Boulevard, Suite 2230, Honolulu, HI 96814
  • 8th Ave & 31st Street, Ticket Lobby, New York, NY 10001
Russia
Prechistenka Street 40/2, Building 1, Entrance 3, Office 32, 5th Floor, Moscow, 119034

Turkey
Mete Caddesi No: 18/1 Taksim, Istanbul 34437

South Africa
23 Eaton Avenue, Bryanston, Johannesburg 2191, South Africa

Saudi Arabia
Yusuf Bin Ahmed Kanoo, Airline Centre, P.O. Box 1878, Al Khobar - 31952, Saudi Arabia

India
2nd Floor, Tower C, Cyber Greens, DLF Phase 3, Gurgaon 122002, Haryana

Argentina
798 Santa Fe Avenue , A1059ABO Buenos Aires, Argentina

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with United Airlines Customer Service. Initial United Airlines complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for United Airlines above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about United Airlines. Discuss the issues you have had with United Airlines and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Complaints & Reviews

United Airlines — Cancellation

United AirlinesCancellation and no communication

On December 21st, 2012 I booked a flight from GVA (Geneva-CH) to MCI (Kansas) with connection through EWR (Newark). Flight numbers UA957 and UA4321B.

At my arrival in EWR and due to the long connection time of 5 hours I used the facility of the United Club.
Approaching the boarding time United gave the announcement that the crew for the flight from EWR to MCI had to arrive / was not available. The flight has been postponed first time with 90 minutes due to unavailability of the crew and again a second time with another 110 minutes.

The original flight was supposed to take of at 600pm. At 10pm we have been re-informed that the plane is available but the crew is still missing. At 1020pm we have been sent to the gate for boarding. One member of the crew at the gate informed us that boarding will take place within the next 15 minutes. The 15 minutes past and the boarding process did not start of which I requested information. At that time the assistant from the gate informed us that the flight has been cancelled.

Returning back in the club we received the message that indeed the flight has been cancelled due to weather circumstances. Several travelers to Kansas of that day have seen that the messages displayed had nothing to do with weather circumstances. United did not have the available crew to fly the available plane from EWR to MCI. I have been told that if United has to cancel a flight due to weather circumstances there will be no refund of the ticket nor any other participation in additional costs.

After 24 hours of travel and despair I had to look for an available room and spend an amount of $300 on top of the price for the flight of $1.900. We (other travelers) have been left behind with the message that there will be no other flight available until after Christmas, 25.12.12. Can United and their CEO - Jeff Smisek's imagine what the above situation does emotionally to a person, to 50, 100, 200, 1000 persons?

CEO's messages like "United performed very well last year, bonus paid out to employees" and "high performance of customer support in 2012" is based on what? numbers ? or satisfied customers? You can understand that messages like these are not truly convincing me after several desperate occurrences like the above during 2012. We pay a high price for no service and indifference from United customer support with the remark:"if you do not accept these circumstances before flying, then don't fly!!" Is this customer service????

United Air LinesCancelled Flight

This is my first and last experience with United. I arrived from Frankfurt Germany (FRA) at 3:45 pm and I expected a 6 hour layover. My flight to Tampa (TPA) was expected to leave at 10:04 pm from Washington (IAD). At 9:30 pm we were notified that the plane would be delayed until 11:45 pm. This departure time was changed to 1:55 am; then 3:20 am; then 4:00 am. And finally cancelled. As everyone moved to the ticket counter to reschedule the flight our displeasure was just beginning. I was first told it would be two days before I could get a flight. It was Sunday night and they wanted me to stay until Tuesday. That arrangement was not satisfactory since I needed to be at work on Monday morning. I was able to get a flight on US Airways flight 1741 on Monday, August 6 at 3:15 pm to Tampa. I received a voucher for the Westin Hotel and cab fare. The Hotel advised me this is common every weekend for United to cancel flights and give them a lot of business. I had to change airports and go to Washington (DCA) by taxi and I had incurred an extra $20.00 expense above the amount of the voucher.
    I lost a full day at work, incurred additional expense and I am told this is common every weekend for United Airlines.
    At the airport I spoke with other United passengers that had flights cancelled. There were several planes cancelled on Sunday. A couple of passengers I flew in with from Frankfurt (FRA) were international guest going to Miami for a job interview. When their flight was cancelled they rebooked and received the voucher for the hotel and taxi. Being international guest they did not understand how to use the voucher. They proceeded to get a taxi and asked the driver to find a hotel for them. They incurred a $150.00 taxi ride to a La Quinta Inn which they paid for at their expense. I know it was their fault but as an international guest the airline should have assisted in helping them understand your procedures. The ticket agent was rude to them by telling them it was late and he should be home by now. This unforgiveable customer service to our international guest is unacceptable. Several other passengers I spoke to indicated the same frustration indicating they would never fly United again and I agree with them. I have never in all my years of flying experience an airline that did not care about the goodwill and customer service of it passengers.

United AirlinesPoor customer service & discrimination

I arrived in the Ohio international airport traveling from vacation cancan ..at around 4:30pm.. My connecting flight was to leave at 7:50 pm... Their was an annocement that my flight would be delayed until 9:00 .. W/ no explanation as to why .. Because it was just a little over an hour I was ok with that time frame .. However than another annocement was made that it was moved 11pm and possibly will no go out tonight .. Well at that time I got in the customer service line to inquire as to what was going on & now as I was due to the weather.. I thought what weather ?? Mind u this was after Waiting in line for an hour .. I was treated rude and disrespectly.. I was then told their are no more room for flights until 4 :00 pm tommrrow .. And this would not be a direct flight back to Boston. Like the one I originally was waiting for .. So I would need to connect in jersey and not get home till 8 pm .. This is all with no compensation for me because of the weather .. They didn't offer be a food voucher said I was not eligible . They only offered me 50 percent off a hotel and security for when I got upset .. Now not only do I have to check in to the airport again .. I start another day of travel missing work and other important engagements because if this poor customer service from this airline. .. When I asked to be put on a flight early this morning I was told their were none.. So just picture this if I had no money for a hotel .. I would still be sitting in the airport for at least 24 hrs and then another airport for 4 more hours before arriving home on united airlines .. Due to the weather !!! And very poor customers service .. I believe not only was I judged because I am a african American young man .. Because instead of talking to me they called security .. Please help

• raven2010 May 29, 2012

I called United AIrlines and they explained to me that they would have compensated you 100% if you were more polite to the customer service people.

United Airlinescancelled flight

Purchased three round trip tickets from San Antonio, TX to Pohnpei, Micronesia back in march to leave May 26, took my daughter out of school 4 days early in order to make it home for my son's High school graduation, everything was fine until I got to Guam, they cancelled our flight to Pohnpei. After about 2 hours of being shuffled around with my kids and all our luggage they finally shipped us to the Hotel to stand another hour in line, I guess United feels like hotel and meals will make us happy, well between these 100 people there are many different cases which United Airlines never send an Agent to find out how we were doing or even try to get us flights to make it home, we have been here for 2 days now, we have to try to book our own reservations, plus we are all missing the events that we need to get. This Airline has really failed their customers and they only reason they do this is because we have no choice but to choose them, I cannot believe that I have spent almost $6, 000 in order to get home (extremely costly) and i might not make it. To make matters worse they are offering me $50 or 15, 000 miles or 10% on the next purchase, how about refunding us some of that money we already gave them for a service that they failed to provide, FSM citizens need to start demanding better treatment from this United Airlines, so disappointed and frustrated, FSM leaders please, please start fighting for your citizens that is suppose to be your main objective

MannyR Nov 27, 2010

We were waiting for the second leg of our flight, going from Chicago to Green Bay. A barely audible announcement told us that the flight had been cancelled - no explanation given. After standing in line for well over an hour, we were told that the cancellation was for bad weather (despite sunny skies outside AND in Green Bay) and that they could not pay for a hotel room and could not even promise us a flight out the next day. I was forced to pay almost $300 for a rental car, drive unknown roads for 3 hours at night, and despite a complaint to the FAA and United, never received compensation for the missed flight nor for the rental car. United only bragged about their on time record.

• Cm
            CM1986 Nov 27, 2010

File a charge back with your credit card provider saying services not fully provided for the flight.

MannyR Nov 28, 2010

Good thought, but to make things worse, we were flying on vouchers because of a previous bad flight (had to sleep in the airport on both the front and back end of a trip - food vouchers were worthless as nothing was open and no hotel rooms were available either time). Thus, United said they owed us nothing. Clever excuse.

• Re
            Really? Nov 29, 2010

Hey Manny:

When you purchase a ticket you are agreeing to their terms and conditions. You should read those. You would learn that a weather delay (no matter how loud it was announced) does not warrant compensation.

Unfortunately, you do not hava a valid complaint, just a minor inconvenience that you agreed to when purchasing a ticket.

MannyR Nov 29, 2010

You missed the point. It wasn't a delay - they cancelled the flight and could not even promise to get us out the next day. Plus, I am convinced the weather was an excuse, as everyone else at both airports seemed to be coming and going fine.

• Mi
            midge87 Jan 29, 2013

What was the reason for the flight cancellation? 99.9% of the time there's very good reason the flight was cancelled (weather, plane malfunction, threats, etc.). I wouldn't really consider that bad on the part of the airline. Frustrating experience, most definitely, but should they have taken off in spite of the afforementioned issues and you/your child ended up in a plane crash you would be asking yourself why they hadn't cancelled the flight. The term "better safe than sorry" holds especially true when it comes to flight.

United AirlinesPoor Treatment and more

We were at the gate in guam, getting ready to leave to pohnpei, micronoesia when they announced our flight was canceled. After that they lead us to a line, in which we stood in for no reason, for about a good 30 minutes. After that, they dumped the whole flight crew at the fiesta resort in guam and haven't given us any info about getting home. We have no clue whats going on and when we're getting home please help!

United AirlinesCancelled Flight - refused rebook or refund

I recently booked an international flight to Germany with United Airlines. The return flight was cancelled, and United Airlines refused to book another flight, or amazingly, refused any refund. They claim it was out of their control, as they had operated this flight through Lufthansa. Lufthansa will not even talk to me, since I did not buy the ticket from them. United claims they have no control, and I have to talk to Lufthansa. The bottom line is I paid United for a service, which they failed to provide. I paid for the ticket, I arrived at the airport hours before the flight was scheduled to leave, and both airlines refused to book another flight or offer any refund of any amount. I was left stranded in Germany, and had to pay for alternate transportation with another carrier. Needless to say, I will not use either airline again. 2 months later, and I have not even had an email, letter, or phone call from either airline after contacting them repeatedly via phone, mail, email, and online requests. This is ridiculous.

United AirlinesMissing luggage

United Airlines flight 1516Y departed Liberia airport at 1:15 pm on March 7th, 2012 for Houston airport, then a connecting flight at Houston direct to Calgary Alberta Canada. Liberia Charged me $200 for being 10lbs over weight. Reached arrival destination at Calgary Alberta at approx. 9:15pm March 7th. Luggage missing. United baggage services already had it in their system that my luggage did not arrive with me. Now I'm being told they still haven't been able to track my luggage???

United Airlines Mileage PlusBurned on Frequent Flyer Mileage

I recently flew to Brisbane on Air NZ via United. I chose a 3 segment journey there (Chicago to San Fran to Auckland to Brisbane) and a 3 segment journey back (Sydney to Auckland to Los Angeles to Chicago). The only reason I flew Air NZ is because they are a part of the Star Alliance and I am trying to stay loyal to build status with them. FYI-Flying Qantas would have been quicker and cheaper.

Upon my return, I noticed that United had not given me credit for 2 segments on my return leg (Sydney to Auckland to Los Angeles). I submitted a mileage adjustment with United and they sent me a letter stating that I did not fly the appropriate class to receive credit for those 2 segments. It was a $2700 ticket! Furthermore, I went on the Air NZ site and tried to re-create the flight and noticed that you cannot even tell what class you are in (aside from non-economy flights that you choose) until you print out the ticket - and pay for it of course. This means that I am not getting credited 8200+ elite miles.

I sent Air NZ an email, but did not hear back from them. United's customer service did not seem to care either. I have 4 trips scheduled in the next month alone on United (Star Alliance) and will soon have to add the UK as a frequent stop. They heavily promote staying within Star Alliance, but fail to honor mileage across the network. I am thinking about switching to American Airlines as they seem to be cheaper and I have not heard of poor customer service such as this. I am a Consultant dealing specifically with Sales and Customer Service and would never advise a client of mine to treat their customers so poorly. Moreso, I work for a firm out of Australia and cannot imagine advocating the use of ANZ to any of my co-workers, especially the founder of the firm who has to fly from Los Angeles to Brisbane every 10 weeks or so.

Beware and watch your class carefully! Oh, did I mention that I'm waiting on ANOTHER credit of 1715 miles for an actual United flight and have been for weeks?!?!

United AirlinesBad service

On my flight #1669 from SFO to HOU, Kelly the flight attendant asked if I wanted a drink. I asked for a coke and a water. I purchased a Cheeseburger and also needed to take my medicine. I received a cup of coke and a cup of water. I immediately drank the coke and asked for a refill. The Flight Attendant, KELLY, said I gave you a cup of coke and water already. Kelly said she needed to give the other passengers drinks before I can refill your cup. I said I did not get a can of coke just a cup. Kelly said you did not request a can of coke. The passenger behind me received a canned drink and I did not hear her request a can.

Give all customers the same amount of service.

• Valerie Jul 10, 2008

I have spent the past four days trying to straighten out a reservation. Today, I spent over an hour on the phone with refunds and then ticketing trying to get a $25 agent fee I was told I would not have to pay refunded to my credit card.

1. Tried to make reservations on line for unaccompanied 11 year old. System would not let me do it. I was told agent fee would be waived.

2. I painfully made the reservations with an agent that had a great deal of difficulty with whatever American accent I have. total was $516. I was again told I would not have to pay $25 agent fee. BELIEVE ME I would rather have used the web.

3. I never got an email confirmation. I called back with confirmation number Of course, agent got that wrong, off by one character. He also got the return date wrong. He put in August 1 instead of July 31st. I guess all he got was 1st. Anyway, that was corrected.

4. I find a $25 agent fee on my bank statement online. I call back on Friday July 1 to get that removed. I was told to call back Monday.

5. Today I call refunds and they tell me I have to call back reservations.

6. All reservations will give me is a $25 voucher.

• Valerie Jul 21, 2008

On Nov. 21, 2007, I purchased a round trip ticket through Expedia from RDU to HYS. My return flights on Dec. 11, 2008 were cancelled. Cancellations were weather related. Great Lakes Air and American Airlines (AA) rebooked me with the same itinerary for the following day. However, the AA agent told me that because the initial leg of my flight on Dec. 1, 2007 was via United (RDU to ORD; ORD to MCI), United would have to issue the new ticket. I spent the remainder of the afternoon and a good part of the evening on the telephone trying to get this ticket issued. Out of frustration and desperation placed another call to Expedia. I explained to this agent that the first UA agent told me UA could not issue a ticket for another airline. Subsequent calls to Great Lakes, AA, and Expedia told me that under the circumstances UA could. Relaying this to the next UA agent I spoke with, he told me the ticket would have to be issued at a United counter and he could not help the fact there were none within hours of HYS. Although Great Lakes Airlines appears to be a United partner, this agent claimed Great Lakes could not issue the ticket (ultimately they did the following day and my itinerary says I flew United 5041, operated by Great Lakes Airlines). Conferring again with a Great Lakes agent, I was told they would accommodate me and fly me to DEN or MCI where there were UA counters (the agent confirmed I already held a reservation on their flight 5068 to MCI). Relaying this to the next UA agent I spoke with, he told me I did not hold a reservation on flight 5068, the flight was fully booked, but he could book me on a later flight. However, he was sorry to tell me I would not be able to make my connection on AA 4695, and I would have to be routed on other UA flights to RDU. I next called Great Lakes and their agent assured me I still held a reservation on flight 5068. It was at this time I called Expedia again and talked to an agent who was able to act as an intermediate, by simultaneously contacting a United agent. He told me United was not willing to accommodate me with the reservations I presently held because it was not in their financial interest. He told me United was willing to accommodate me with two itineraries, both with United as the carrier. I choose the one through DEN, even though the weather forecast was for freezing rain through the night. Safety, my disabilities, and recent surgery are another issue I wont address; UA didnt care and I wanted to get home. The Expedia agent relayed my choice to accept the flight through DEN to the United agent. I was told to check in at the Great Lakes' counter in HYS at least an hour prior to my flight.

I should have filed a complaint pursuant to my experience described above, but I had already expended considerable time and was content this ordeal was over, but in reality it had just started. When I received my Capitol One January statement, I noticed two charges on Dec. 11 to United, $649.90 and $15.00. This was the date my flights were cancelled; the day I was not even able to travel to the Hays airport. I never gave my credit card number to a United agent for these charges, nor authorized Expedia to do so (recall, the Expedia agent was my mediator; I never even talked to a United agent in finalizing my flights). I don't know how United was able to obtain my credit card number.

In addition to fraudulently charging my credit card, United Airlines violated the terms of their contract. Rule 240, section C 1 A in the United Airlines Contract of Carriage states that �UA will transport the passenger without stopover on its next flight on which space is available � at no additional cost to the passenger.�

Capital One violated the terms of their contract by not removing these fraudulent charges from my account. Initially their contention was the charges were legitimate because the service was provided (UA transported me on a flight). Subsequently, their contention is there was no fraud; I actually purchased two tickets with different itineraries and it�s inconsequential how UA obtained my credit card number or if the charges were made without my verbal or written authorization.

In trying to recover these charges, several contacts were made to UA:

1. There is an average waiting time of 30 minutes to speak to an agent

2. Agents have no authority, although you must tell every detail of complaint before being referred to a supervisor

3. Referrals to supervisors incur additional waiting time, or voice mail instructs consumer to leave phone number for return call

4. Return calls not usually received (I received only one after having left several messages)

5. All agents I spoke to in refund department with UA were difficult to understand because English is not their native language. Either my wife had to speak in my behalf, or we had to request another supervisor � more delays.

6. On March 7, 2008, via e-mail, UA issued an apology and offered me a $100.00 travel voucher on UA, but no additional refund or compensation for fraud or violation of contract

7. UA finally agreed to refund charges if I could provide proof flights of Dec. 11 had been cancelled. This information was provided by phone on March 11, 2008 by Great Lakes Air agent

8. On May 28, 2008 United only offered to refund an unspecified value of return portion of original ticket (original full round trip ticket was purchased for $554.20)

Having not received a refund, I disputed these charges with Capitol One because they were not authorized:

1. Pursuing dispute through Capitol One required at least fifty hours on phone and preparing and sending documents.

2. Every phone call requires navigating through several layers of automated menus, holding time, and frequent misdirected and dropped calls

3. There is no was to speak to the same agent after misdirected or disconnected calls, and the entire history has to be repeated each time (Capital One agents are prohibited to initiate outgoing calls)

4. Identical documentation and information was requested several different times

5. Although Capital One initially refunded these charges, following their investigation the charges were reinstated. In their analysis, the charges were not fraudulent even though documentation was provided substantiating I was using a previously purchased ticket in accordance with United Airlines Contract of Carriage

6. On May 28. 2008, after four hours of calls to several agents and departments, the individual agent I was speaking to at the time discovered I UA had actually issued a credit on May 6, 2008, but the credit had somehow gotten lost

7. This lost credit would take an additional seven to fourteen days to appear on my statement

8. My last balance on Capital One of $156.90 was due on June 20, 2008. If the credit was not found and applied to my account, I would be required to make a payment towards this balance

I have volumes of notes and documents, which I would be happy to provide in part or in full upon request.

• Valerie Oct 31, 2008

United Airlines customer service is outsourced to India. So callers get to talk to a nice but condescending person who is not sufficiently empowered to resolve serious issues. If you call corporate to speak to one of their customer service folks, you are promised a return call within two days that never arrives. Forget sending e-mail because you eventually receive a response from India as well. Attempts to go through Investor Releations to obtain information to surface this less than acceptable service that is negatively impacting stock prices as a share holder item at the next meeting also results in not receiving a response. So I guess the next step is the federal regulatory agency for publicly owned companies. My issue is because their rate desk person was so cottin pickin slow, the future travel agent could not complete my initerary change because I had to catch a flight. As it was, they took over 30 minutes on the phone to come up with a ticket change rate - then tried to double charge me on the fuel surcharge. So I received a United voucher for fifty bucks but had to pay $200 on the other end to finish booking my return flight. I want United to apply the voucher value to that ticket since United does not fly out of Little Rock and the voucher is worthless to me. I really, really hate being stonewalled by large companies which is why I appreciate this site.

• Ge
                      George Anderio Dec 20, 2011

i traveled once in the airline and my wife Sara couldn't go to the bathroom since the door was jammed and the flight attendant couldnt open the lock. It was a kidney wrecking experience for her.

United AirlinesBad customer service

To whom it may concern,

I am a Premier Mileage Plus member with United, and I recently booked a trip from Dulles to Atlanta with my wife and two small chldren (3 year old and 7 month old). I normally travel for business, and specifically choose United for my personal travel when other airlines were a bit cheaper.

We were supposed to depart Dulles at 4:40p on a United Express flight, but the original plane had a maintenance issue (something about the pilot shoulder restraint). Our flight ended up being delayed while they first attempted to fix the problem, then attempted to find a spare plane to use. The spare plane finally arrived and we boarded, but after we had boarded the pilot reported a maintenance issue with the attitude system. He powered the plane down completely for a few minutes, and we finally taxied away from the gate. After almost reaching the runway, the pilot reported yet another maintenance issue, this time due to a hot brake warning (apparently one of the brakes was engaged the entire time we taxied to the runway). This issue could not be fixed and we were forced to deplane and wait for yet another spare.

This process took longer than our entire flight was supposed to take, and by this point we had spent over 8 hours at the airport with no results. Both of my children were exhausted, so I went over to the United Customer Service desk to see what could be done about getting a flight for the next day. I spoke with representatives named Billy and Princess W., and after about 20 minutes or so they finally put us on a Delta flight for the next morning.

I asked what would happen to our checked baggage, and was told that it would be taken to ATL overnight and would be waiting in the baggage area the next morning. I mentioned that the United Express pilot told us he would get our bags off that night (he didn't), and was told by the United CS representative that United Express pilots are "stupid" and don't know what they are talking about. As we left the airport that night to go back home, I stopped by the United Baggage Desk and asked where our bags were. I was told they were on a plane to ATL and could be picked up the next day.

When we arrived at ATL the next day, I went to the United Baggage Desk our bags were not there, even though we were assured multiple times the night before that they were already on a plane bound for ATL. After 30 minutes of going back and forth between Delta and United, I discovered that they were put on a United flight that left AFTER our Delta flight that morning, about 18 hours after we were told they were on a plane. The bags finally arrived and both wheels on one suitcase were severely cracked and damaged. When I pointed this out to United, they claimed that it was Delta's responsibility since we flew on their airline, even though the bags were never touched by Delta.

Later, when I called United to cancel our return flight, I was told by the Mileage Plus supervisor I spoke with that this was incorrect, and it was in fact United's responsibility. He transferred me to the baggage department, which then told me the exact opposite - that it was Delta's responsibility. I told the representative that I did not think it was fair for Delta to be charged with fixing or replacing the suitcase since they never touched the suitcase, and were able to transport my family and I safely to ATL - on time.

After all of this, the only compensation I was offered by United was a 10% off voucher, which I will not use because I will not be choosing United for personal travel in the future. This isn't the first time I've dealt with maintenance issues and delays with United (prior to this trip my boss had commented that he won't fly with me anymore due to my bad luck, and I'm not sure if he was joking or not), but this experience was awful. I do not believe United or United Express know how to properly maintain aircraft.

I will certainly be avoiding United as much as possible in the future for business travel, and will be avoiding it completely for personal travel.

Both Delta flights were some of the best experiences I've had traveling. There were no maintenance issues or baggage issues, and customer service was actually helpful and polite when I called to get our seats arranged (and when attempting to find our United bags at ATL). I'm certain Delta isn't perfect, but the level of service they provided when compared to United was worlds apart. I will be making every effort to avoid United flights in the future, even though I am close to attaining elite status again this year.

United AirlinesHow is it legal for United to charge international baggage fee?

I have to go to Peru on LAN airlines. LAN is giving 2 free checked bags for the international flights. Since LAN is flying out of SFO, I have to fly to SFO from San Diego via United to catch the LAN's flight to Peru. It's a one hour flight to SFO and United is counting this as an international flight (WHICH IT IS NOT since they are not the airlines that is flying me to Peru) and United is charging me a 70.00 for the second checked bag. I called Tammy Duarte, a manager, at United and she could care less that their international bag policy doesn't make any sense - Tammy Duate told me I can drive to SFO and catch my LAN flight if I don't like the 70.00 international baggage charge. I asked her just to explain to me why United is charging me the 70.00 international bag fee and not domestic bag fee since United is not flying me to Peru but LAN airlines is... and again, Tammy Duarte, the manager could not answered or cared and told me to write a review if I don't like the United policy. I asked her to explain the policy to me to where it makes sense please but she was annoyed and was totally rude to me... How is this legal and why is United allowed to charge this fee? I would like see LAN and all United sister airlines to discontinue doing business with United...

United AirlinesUnited excessive baggage fee

I have to go to Peru on LAN airlines. LAN is giving 2 free bags for the international flights. Since LAN is flying out of SFO, I have to fly to SFO from San Diego via United to catch the LAN's flight to Peru. It's a one hour flight to SFO and United is counting this as an international flight WHICH IT IS NOT and charging me a 70.00 for the second checked bag. I called Tammy Duarte, a manager, at United and she could care less that their international bag policy doesn't make any sense - Tammy Duate told me I can drive to SFO and catch my LAN flight if I don't like the 70.00 international baggage charge. I asked her just to explain to me why United is charging me the 70.00 international bag fee and not domestic bag fee since United is not flying me to Peru but LAN airlines is... and again, Tammy Duarte, the manager could not answered or cared and told me to write a review if I don't like the United policy. I asked her to explain the policy to me to where it makes sense please but she was annoyed and was totally rude to me... This is why United is in the trouble that they are in folks...

United AirlinesCreated inconvenience to their customer

I bought a round-trip flight from Washington Dulles Airport (IAD) to Beijing Airport (PEK), my departure date is Oct 13 and my return date is Oct 31. Since I will be traveling with a four-month old infant, I didn’t consider any multiple-stop flight and bought the non-stop flight. United Airline discontinues the non-stop flight on my return date, and my flight was changed to multiple-stop flight.

I called the United Airline customer service on September 9, 2010, and my return flight date was changed to Oct 30. I scheduled this vacation long time ago and I have a lot of things to do in China, I don’t want to lose one day in China. So I called back to see if I can change my departure date to an earlier date. They give me the only option: Oct 12. Since the flight schedule change with United Airline created inconvenience to me, I asked if I can change my departure date two or three more days earlier. They refused my request.

During my conversation with Lynn Carr (Chicago customer service center supervisor), I asked her a question: “Do you mean the customer should suffer if the airline discontinues the flight? She said “Yes, that’s what I meant”. At the end of the conversation, she confirms to me that the customer should suffer if United Airline changes the flight schedule. What a great attitude! Also, she told me that you can fly with other airline, is this the right attitude with customer? Does United Airline want to kick out the unhappy customer? Furthermore, she said I could contact the travel agency to get refund. I spent a lot of time planning this vacation and I need to go through the hassle to get my money back and purchase the new ticket?

The following are the questions I have for United Airline:

1. United Airline created inconvenience to the customer, why United Airline cannot be a little bit more flexible with the customer. I did not ask any dramatic change with my schedule, all I asked was a few days difference. Keep in mind that United Airline created the problem first.

2. Please explain why Lynn Carr claimed that the customer should suffer if the United Airline changes flight schedule! Does this represent the company culture of United Airline?

4. I bought tickets earlier to get cheaper price. If I follow her suggestion to get new tickets now at higher price, will United Airline reimburse me the difference? I am sure the answer will be NO. And I will suffer just like what she told me.

• Mo
                              moonpies Dec 08, 2011

as inconvenient as it may be, if they just moved your flight a few days, that means they would have to bump someone else out to make room for you, and so on.

"3. Lynn Carr suggested me to use other airlines. I assumed she meant that if you are not happy with United Airline, I am going to kick you out. Is this the company culture of United Airline as well?"

its obvious she meant you are free to choose another airline as an option. It seems you are trying to find malice in her statement.

United AirlinesUnited Airlines treats customers like children.

United Airlines treats customers like children. I had a flight on August 11th. They tell you you have to sit on the seats your ticket specifies. Well I did not get a window seat so I politely asked the "mother" of a 8 year old if I can have her daughter's seat. The mother told me no. I went to complain to one of the FA's and they checked my ticket and said that my seat was in the aisle. When the mother left for the washroom. I asked her daughter to get off the seat I wanted to sit there. The child said no her mother would get mad and worried if she can't find her . I told her that if she did not get off the seat I would physically remove her. At this time the mother returned and complained to the FA because she overheard me telling her daughter I would remove her from the seat. She lied and said that I threatened her daughter. The FA took her side. She asked me to sit down. I told her that I would not sit down unless I got the window seat. She then called Airport security and they told me that I had to leave the plane. I told them I would not because I paid for the flight. I told them I wanted a window seat. They told me that if I wanted a window seat that I should have asked in advance when booking the flight. I saw a window seat in another aisle and I asked that if I could have that window seat. They told me no because I was making the other passengers uncomfortable. This was a lie since I am not Muslim so therefore I am not a terrorist. I told them I paid for the flight and would not be returning. They told me that unless the I left the plane would not take off and if they had to they would use force to get me off the plane. Now I am a woman who is five foot three and these cowards were six feet or taller. Also because they were angry at me they were willing to delay and inconvenience other passengers. I will never fly with these losers again, and that mother needs to teach her brat manners. When an adult tells you something you do it. Rude punk kid. Not even a teen and already a punk. Probably on drugs as well that little ###.

• Un
                                United Airlines sucks Sep 04, 2011

I did not threaten to use force on her. I just told her nicely, after asking this little ### nicely to move. Then threatened to physically remove her if she did not. I did not threaten to use force. I threatened to physically remove her. The security guards threatened to remove me by force. If they are married they must be wife beaters.

• He
                                Heywood Jablowme Sep 05, 2011

"I am not Muslim so therefore I am not a terrorist." Maybe not but you are racist.

• Go
                                GoldOpals Opals Sep 05, 2011

Troll.

• Ro
                                Roger Ramjet Sep 09, 2011

Don't feed the trolls

• Ti
                                tinyearl Sep 15, 2011

ummm...is this a wind up?

• Ti
                                tinyearl Sep 15, 2011

umm...this is a joke thread. Right? About halfway through this bogus story, the poster would have been thrown off that flight and probably detained for questioning.
                                Now I see why my last United Airlines flight crew was so hostile.

United Express AirlinesBumped off the Flight due to oversales

On March 9 of this year I booked through Orbitz a flight from Fairbanks, Alaska to Knoxville, Tennessee on Frontier and United Express through Denver. Our Orbitz confirmation clearly stated on the itinerary that the seats for the last leg (Denver to Knoxville on United) "will be assigned at check-in." On August 8, the night we were to leave Fairbanks, we checked in with Frontier Air and were told we would not be able to secure boarding passes for the United Express portion of the flight until we reached Denver. At 6 am (four hours before the flight was to leave to Knoxville) we approached a United Express representative in Denver and were given 5 boarding passes, two with seat assignments and three without. We were assured by this individual that those seats would be assigned but that we could not find out what the seats were until 9:30, one half hour before the flight left.

We arrived at the desk at 9am, concerned about getting seats, and were put off, and told that “if we hadn’t booked through Orbitz and had gone directly through the airline” we wouldn’t be having a problem with seats on the plane. The ticket agent refused to assign the seats at that time. At 9:30 we were informed that the flight had been overbooked and that we did not, in fact, have seats for everyone in our party.

The attendant handed us a pamphlet on the reasons for overbooking and told us we could take it up with customer service.

Our party consisted of three adults and two children, and initially they tried to give us four of the five seats, leaving one of the children back in Denver! As it happened, the children's grandmother did not receive a seat and stayed the entire day in Denver waiting for the next flight, while we carried aboard our two distraught and crying children who did not understand why Grandma had to be left behind on her birthday.

United Airlines caused our family a great deal of stress and inconvenience, through NO FAULT OF OUR OWN, simply because they knowingly overbooked our flight and refused to assign us seats or to allow me to secure seats online months before. We paid for a service which they failed to deliver, and they are not even apologetic about it. The attendant even had the audacity to imply that we were in error for not checking in earlier, despite the fact that we were unable to do so online from our hotel the day before, nor were we permitted to do so by Frontier Air before the first leg of our trip. We made every attempt to secure our boarding passes as early as possible and were stymied by their insolent and unhelpful staff at every turn.

The bottom line is this: United Airlines will allow you to pay exorbitant amounts for seats on a flight, but does not guarantee you a seat on said flight. They will bump you with no thought whatsoever to who is in your party (in our case two small children) and will treat you as if it is your fault.

Apparently, the Denver branch of United Airlines has a reputation for this kind of dishonesty and for poor service. I would recommend choosing another airline for your travel needs. This was despicable treatment.

• Ka
                                  Karyn78 Sep 02, 2016

That's stupid every Airlines oversales flights. No matter what airline you choose there's a possibility you'll get bumbed. Do more research

Continental AirlinesLate

Very dissapointed and very inconvienced on our flight 7-15-10 from MKE to CLE. Flght was 5 1/2 hours late. We were in an airport until after midnight which meant our destination pick up was after 2:00 am. My husband had a business review meeting the next morning and I was cheated out of precious time with my grandchildren because of lack of sleep. When you spend over $700 to fly such a short distance for 3 days taking almost 6 hours out of that time is very upsetting. We would like some compensation (free ticket e.g.) becaulse our family lives in Cleveland my husbands business is there and we plan on flying there again and again. But in on your airline unless you address our disappointing experience of flight CO 2948W from Thurs July 15, 2010.

• Ra
                                    rasabh Sep 14, 2011

I travelled on continental airlines on 25 dec last year for my holidays. I wascharged a bag fee with out checking any bags. I requested airlines for the same and they told me that they cant help.
                                    This is not fair on part of continental airlines and this is bad servcie and stripping their customers.

• Su
                                    susie.sexton Mar 17, 2012

Unfortunately, delays are not the airlines 9/10 times. It is ATC or engineers or a problem with the plane that could cause it to crash. The airline can't be expected to compensate for something they cannot help.

United AirlinesOvercharged Ticket Change

My friend and I purchased round-trip tickets from SEA to HOU and back. While in Houstson, we both looked into changing our filghts to return early. In doing so, the agent/s (made 2 seperate calls), both stated there were no additional chages and that we actually would receive a credit of just over $40. The agent I specifically spoke with asked if I would like the "credit" refunded to the original card or given in the form of a voucher. I requested that it be placed back on my friend's card.

On the morning of my return flight, I attempted to check in early and found out that they only changed the time of my flight and not the date. I quickly called and had that fixed and was told I would receive an additional credit of $20 since the new flight was cheaper.

After arriving back in Seattle, I come to find out we were both charged ticket change fees of $600 each totalling in over $1, 200!!! After filing a request for a refund with detailed information, they are refusing any sort of refund and state that we are responsible for the cost. Mind you, our original roundtrip tickets were just over $300 each. How can it turn from $300 to $900. Crazy if you ask me. Neither of us would have changed our flights if it was more than $100 each.

After responding to their refusal email where they stated we could request that they give us a call, they still have not called or replied via email. HELP!

DecentCitizen Jul 14, 2011

I neglected to mention that our credit card company is refusing to do anything as well. They state that since we gave the airline our card information, they have every right to make any sort of charge regardless of the situation.

DecentCitizen Jul 14, 2011

Thank you for your feedback. Any suggestions on how to handle this with the airline or do you think we are at a total loss?

DecentCitizen Jul 14, 2011

Tried. They are the ones that denied the refund request :(

• Js
                                      j. sabo Apr 24, 2012

I was over charged on 3 tickets and I am waiting for an adjustment

• Js
                                      j. sabo Apr 24, 2012

I was over charged on flight and waiting for an adjustment

Continental AirlinesWorst Customer Service...And Beware of the 24-hour Policy

So I took advantage of Continental's "24-hour policy, " where you can book your flight and then modify or cancel it within 24 hours free of charge. I did end up canceling the flight. The charge for the flight (~$2000) is still pending on my credit card 12 days later. While I do not technically owe the money, the $2000, which is not a small amount (for me at least) is being counted against my credit limit. I'm between a rock and a hard place, as the credit card won't act on this, and Continental is IMPOSSIBLE to reach to figure out what is going on. Over the past two days, I have been on hold close to 3 hours combined, with most of my calls ending up with my hanging up or my battery dying. ONCE i got through and was told that since, by definition, a cancelation within the 24-hour window voids the transcation, the shouldn't have been a charge at all. And yet...Well then came another transfer to another department and another hopeless endless call. Needless to say that that the rep that did pick that once sounded bored and uninterested, at best. So for the fear of losing or my minutes (and sanity) to Continental, I'm just waiting for the pending charge to "fall off" after 30 days.
                                    The irony is that I rebooked the ticket with Continental the next day. It will surely be my last time with them.

• Jk
                                        JKDE Jun 23, 2011

It's not Continental, it's the credit card companies, and all of them do that.

Card gets charged immediately (even holds) but cancellations or returns sometimes take up to two weeks before the credit appears back on the statement.

It's to protect the credit card company from fraud.

United Airlines — Flight Cancellation/damaged luggage

I was travelling from Korea to Los Angeles with a connected flight in San Francisco. Due to sudden...