Having problems with United Airlines?

United Airlines reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Aug 17, 2006. The latest review Terrible service was posted on Jul 22, 2021. The latest complaint ua cancelled flight with no regards for passengers on board already or compensation was resolved on Nov 30, 2014. United Airlines has an average consumer rating of 3 stars from 142 reviews. United Airlines has resolved 60 complaints.

United Airlines Customer Service Contacts

131 777 (Australia)
1800 900 5000 (Mexico)
800 162 323 (Brazil)
+1 800 864 8331 (USA and Canada)
+44 845 607 6760 (United Kingdom)
+32 22 008 868 (Belgium)
+45 70 126 233 (Denmark)
+358 80 096 070 (Finland)
+31 203 469 381 (Netherlands)
+351 214 159 102 (Portugal)
+41 224 177 280 (Switzerland)
+852 28 104 888 (Hong Kong)
+65 68 733 533 (Singapore)
+82 27 510 300 (South Korea)
+27 114 631 147 (South Africa)
+966 920 002 185 (Saudi Arabia)
+54 115 198 1441 (Argentina)
233 S. Wacker Drive
Chicago, Illinois
Mailing Address
PO Box 06649, Chicago, IL 60606-0649

Offices

• 1450 Ala Moana Boulevard, Suite 2230, Honolulu, HI 96814
  • 8th Ave & 31st Street, Ticket Lobby, New York, NY 10001
Russia
Prechistenka Street 40/2, Building 1, Entrance 3, Office 32, 5th Floor, Moscow, 119034

Turkey
Mete Caddesi No: 18/1 Taksim, Istanbul 34437

South Africa
23 Eaton Avenue, Bryanston, Johannesburg 2191, South Africa

Saudi Arabia
Yusuf Bin Ahmed Kanoo, Airline Centre, P.O. Box 1878, Al Khobar - 31952, Saudi Arabia

India
2nd Floor, Tower C, Cyber Greens, DLF Phase 3, Gurgaon 122002, Haryana

Argentina
798 Santa Fe Avenue , A1059ABO Buenos Aires, Argentina

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with United Airlines Customer Service. Initial United Airlines complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for United Airlines above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about United Airlines. Discuss the issues you have had with United Airlines and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

United Airlines Complaints & Reviews, Page 2

United Airlines — stoled my luggage with high physical and sentimental values. criminals

Hi, on july 02 of 2017 me and my girlfriend traveled to cancun on flight 1052 from ewr airport. my girlfriend...

United Airlinesblatant fraudulent scheming on baggage by united agents

I was traveling from Las vegas to Newark and i knew about the requirements for the baggage allowed and the charges. What happened was that i insisted at the check-in desk that i wanted to check-in my carry on bag which was small. Despite my insisting to check-in the check-in attendant assured me that i will be allowed to take the bag with me in the flight without charge. When i boarded the plane, I was told that i will have to pay $175 for the small carry on. I was forced to pay the fee despite of my explanation that the check-in person assured me i will not be charged. Additionally, my terms of the ticket mentions that such fee will be $50, so i do not know how it ended up being $175. I am guarantee that this is fraudulent activity and i am going to make sure that i make this story viral. I knew i should not had given United a chance after knowing how badly you treat your passengers.

United Airlines Customer Servicecustomer service dept. and united's website

After carefully examining united's website choices with clear details listed, I chose my flight itinerary.
    After paying, I then receive itinerary confirmation with important detail different from what was clearly listed on website.
    Immediately, I tried bringing it to their attention. (Even sending, sending & resending pictures of the 2 seperate pages with the difference) I wanted an explanation and/or resolution. (Via email)
    Customer service dumped me off to "tech support". Eventually I called, still received neither. Was told they didnt receive any attachments ; later... That they could not open it.
    Either way, never dealt with the discrepancy! Just tried to make it seem I "mis-read" the 2 seperate pages. (When I clearly did not!) fortunately, I took 2 pics of my selections before purchasing. I had 2 pics of proof!
    Never once did they take my complaint seriously, & at least try to understand what I saw/chose on their own website! It was not "customer service".
    This company is running a very 'poor track record' when it comes to dealing with customers!
    I am really regretting being a long-time flyer with united!

United AirlinesThere is nothing good to say about United Airlines

Terrible company! I regret the day I booked with United Airlines!
      Their airplane was terrible, it was very old, there was that nasty smell and crew members were rude!! I asked for a glass of water and they said that I have to pay if I want to drink something. I was travelling with my son and he's only 11 years old. It was very cold so I asked them to bring a blanket for my son and they said that I have to pay for that too! This was the worst flight ever! United Airlines is quite expensive but their service is extremely poor!

United Airlines — Poor customer service and harassing phone calls

On 9/12/16 at 11:40am I tried to make a change on my flight using customer service. I dialed [protected]...

United AirlinesComplaint

Welcome to the new spirit airlines. I have flown united for year but this is the last time. Boarded a flight from porto rico to chicago. Yes 737 with added seats to make it more tight then ever. Sat next to a lady with a 2 year old who refused to be belted for take off. To be fair there were about 4 babies with the same attitude. Lady requested i change seats with her husband so that they could be together. I cannot do a window seat and told her i was sorry but could not. The fun began once we took off. Blood curdling screams from the child who kicked me multiple times. Dad decided to take over once in the air so we now had 4 in 3 seats. The fun did not stop there. Dad switch seat multiple times and finally the 2 people sitting next to dad changed and they got smashed into the window next to me. The lady behind me could not get out of her seat without grabbing my seat along with a hand full of my hair. We were jammed to capacity folks in seats that did not recline and knees touched the one in front of you so don't even think about moving. Want free wifi? Swipe your cc. Want a movie for distraction? Swipe your cc. Want a bag of nuts better have the cc handy. The only difference from spirit and united now is the coffee is free. Never again!!!

United AirlinesUnited Airlines Cheats

On July 25 I was ticketed to fly from Austin, Texas to Gunnison, Colorado for what I hoped would be a restful vacation week. It was not due to United Air. The first leg of the trip was cancelled because of mechanical problems. I was rerouted after waiting in line for a long time to Houston, Texas then to Gunnison. After hours of delay, the flight was cancelled. Ithe customer service line for next day flights was at least a city block long. I tried to get my checked bag downstairs but was tol it would take 2-3 hours to get my suitcase. I called the United 1-800 number and held for 40 minutes with no person to speak. I then went to another airlines and booked a ticket to Phoenix that night and Phoenix to Denver the next morning. In Phoenix I called about 11pm to the United 800 number, waited 40 minutes to talk to a gentleman with heavy accent who took 30 minutes to hold my seat from Denver to Gunnison. I had no bag so bought clothes at airport. Finally got to Gunnison on day 2 but without bag. My family had been there for 4 days and I had lost a day of vacation with them. My bag showed up in Gunnison on day 3, but United refused to have it delivered to me in Crested Butte 30 miles away. I paid a driver $40 to bring my suitcase to me. I did not fly home on United and will not choose to fly that airline again. I will write this complaint on every online forum I can to warn others about this shoddy customer service. While mechanical and weather events cannot be avoided, there is an expectation that for $1, 000 flight (one way) the airline should have personnel to assist with rebooking and answering phone calls.

United AirlinesIFE, service

We have just landed from our long and worst flight we have ever encountered.
            As an Economy PLUS flyer, we did not have IFE nor reading light for the entire flight duration (approximately 10:30h). Staff, including the flight manager, was terribly inconsiderate and careless about the case and made us feel very uncomfortable with the already awkward situation.Although no less than 7 people were sleeping on 3 seats in the aircraft, no alternatives were offered for us besides waking these people by ourselves and find a solution on our own.

I have filed an official complaint in their website. Are their any tips how to deal with such a terrible service??

• Wine Is Good Jul 20, 2016

So there were only 7 people in 3 seats on this plane? Your complaint does not make sense. No entertainment...were there monitors but not in service. Or was your plane one without entertainment? They can not produce what they do not offer. Which is not bad service. And economy plus is not first class honey.

United AirlinesHorrible old airplane!

United airlines are very expensive, but their service is extremely poor. I flew on one of their airplanes and it was terrible! It was really old and I really thought that we are going to crash. Everything inside was old too, the place was a mess, it was dirty and smelly. That was the worst airplane I've ever seen. And also you have to pay for everything! They don't even feed their passengers! Even their business class is terrible. I'm very disappointed with United airlines.

United AirlinesFlight ticket refund

Today [protected]) I called United Airline customer service [protected]) to refund my mother's flight ticket (purchased with award miles). The representative, Janet Martinez, confirmed the transaction, charged $200 on my father's debit card, and we received the confirmation email saying "Sun., Oct. 25, 2015/Visa 4271 was charged 200.00 USD for the following: MileagePlus Redeposit Fee / EDD [protected]". Finally, I asked her when we should expect the award miles go back to my mother's account, Janet asked me to wait (10 minute, and asked me to wait another 10 minutes), then told me she cannot refund it because it is part of the roundtrip itinerary. I asked her where I can find this refund restriction, Janet asked me to wait again (another 15 minutes) and cannot tell me. So Janet transfer me to her supervisor, Violeta Caballero, she showed me a webpage saying the ticket has to be unused. The ticket is not used and the rule doesn't say roundtrip, and why we can get the confirmation email if it is not allowed, Violeta hung up arbitrarily while I was explaining the above reasons to her. It is unbelievable that UA's customer service supervisor hang up on customer. I called again and another representative, Lyn (who refused to give me her last name), answered my call, I explained the above situation to her and asked to speak to Violeta, Lyn said she cannot transfer me to a particular person but she can transfer me to that department, I said OK and Lyn transferred me to some line that has non English greetings. I waited for 1 hour and had to give up. My father's debit card is still charged with $200 dollars and the award miles is not refunded to my mom's account. I cannot believe a big company like United Airline treats its customers this way and steal 35, 000 award mileage plus 200 dollar from my parents.

United AirlinesFirst class flight, delay, rude, put in coach.

On September 7th, 2015. I boarded United Airlines flight 1934 from Sacramento to Houston. I was seated in First Class, on time, as I had purchased my entire set of flights for first class. I was traveling alone and was scared to be in close quarters with men. Just a thing with me, but that is why I paid extra to be seated in first class. I also made sure it was a class that offered a meal, as I am diabetic.

After having boarded the plane, while waiting for the plane to taxi, the captain explained that there was some sort of fluid leak and we would be taking off late, for it to be fixed. That added 45 minutes to my travel time. Unfortunately, by the time we finally arrived in Houston, I had missed the final boarding call for my flight to Orlando on flight 1252 by 60 seconds, and was not allowed to board. That was the second thing that made me mad. So my gate to depart was C-40, the gate I arrived from was C-39. They had not finished boarding until after I got off that stupid plane. I get over there, and there is me, and a gentleman. I have a first class ticket, in my hand, and the door to the gate is still open. I show the woman my ticket, she looks at me with no empathy at all, says "i dont have anything for you." Takes the other gentleman back with her, and shuts the door in my face. I had a ticket in my hand...but she could take the other person. I started crying because it was a bad day, and another gentleman who works for the airline came over to me, took my ticket and thought it was ridiculous that they wouldn't let me on. So he walks me over to another UA gate person and she wont even look me in the eye. She just looks at him and shakes her head. "Too late, its closed." I understand it was closed, that wasn't the part that pissed me off. They were rude and a more appropriate response would have been "I am so sorry, but unfortunately we cannot let you board." Or whatever.

So I was automatically rescheduled for United Airlines flight 1644 to Orlando which left nearly 2 hours later. I was given a ticket to sit in economy, due to availability issues. This is troubling for me for a couple of reasons. First of all, as I said, I have problems with traveling alone and sitting close to male passengers. Also I had paid for the first class ticket where I would be provided lunch and directv without cost.
                  Due to problems beyond my control, a mechanical issue with the UA plane, and an issue on the taxiway causing us to wait even longer to disembark, I am subjected to service and situation far below what I have paid for. Also, something that really bothered me is that, while we were waiting to take off while this mechanical issue was being taken care of, the captain upgraded everyone in economy to have complimentary directv. That is fine, for them. They had a bad day too. But first class passengers didn't get anything complementary. Essentially, all we ended up paying for was 2 or 3 inches extra seat space. When I booked this ticket, I booked it through both the United airlines website, as well as clarifying that I wanted first class tickets over the phone with a representative. So, to sum it up, I missed a connecting flight, I was squished into the very last row in the corner and was the last person off the plane, I had no complimentery entertainment, and no meal, and arrived to my final destination 4 hours later than what I had scheduled.

So I call today and am on the phone for 1 and a half hours because they tell me all I can do is submit a complaint through the website. And I am told that "sometimes" they return requests for contact, and "maybe" they will give you a refund. I insist on speaking to a human being and they refuse to let me. A first class passenger who pays over $1, 000 for a flight and is put into economy seating cannot be afforded the courtesy of speaking to a human being to discuss getting the difference in cost back?

United AirlinesCertificate

On August 27th I called and tried to get info about a passenger info that was with me by the name of Morgan Jackson. The man claim he was a supervisor by the name of Max, KL he sounds like he had a assian voice. He was very rude this was about 3:00pm I asked to speak to his supervisor he states he had none. That I would have to call back again and get some one else. Then I got a Spanish recording. I am very upset by this action. I can be reached at [protected]. The number I called was [protected]. I believed it was the reservation department. I having been calling for 3 weeks about this matter no email or regular mail for her certificate as a promotion. Please help!!!

This was United Airlines my tickets were purchased through chase for United airline I will be closing my credit card out after this matter.

United Airlines — Extremely Unprofessional Cabin Crew

Hello Madam/Sir I the undersigned, is a well traveled, educated (I have two masters: Economics and Busine...

United AirlinesThe way my kitten was treated

I had purchased a beautiful Savannah kitten from a breeder in Illinois, and he had dropped her off at the Ohare Airport at eleven o'clock in the morning, and the kitten was scheduled to arrive at the Petsafe location at the John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana, California at 7:00 that evening. I was concerned and distressed when the clerk at the John Wayne location had no clue where our kitten was. A half an hour on the phone with the Ohare location, we found that our new cat was still at the kennels in Illinois airport! The flight had been cancelled and nobody thought to call either the breeder or I to inform us!

The clerk told us our furbaby would be put on a nine A.M. flight, and arrive at noon. We were assured that the kitten would be given food and water, removed from her portable kennel and fed and given water. I was upset knowing she was sitting in a airport all day, but the women seemed sincere.

This was all lies. The poor kitten was not fed, the food was not even touched. She had no food or water, and her blanket was soaked with urine and feces. She was not taken from her kennel. The blanket was so saturated, I had to bathe her the second we got home. I was forced to bleach the kennel, and when I washed the blanket two days later, it was still wet from urine.

I will never give my business to United or trust in what they say. After this debacle I would never trust them with anything! I am surprised the kitten was not emotionally distressed after such a ordeal. It speaks well of how wonderful the breeder raised her. How United can treat animals in such a horrid way, I have no clue. They are a evil company!

United AirlinesMagazines for Miles

In September I order two subscriptions from United Airlines in return for some of my unused miles - The Wall Street Journal and The Economist. I got email receipts for each and was told delivery would start in a couple of months. Delivery never came. I sent at least three emails for each to the address provided on the receipts and never got a response. In around February I finally got a response that someone would "look into it" but again, nothing happened. Finally in April someone responded when I replied to a new request that I use miles for magazines that I had never received the last ones I ordered. This time the person did discover two things that were not revealed to me before this point in time - the WSJ was never started because I had had a prior subscription paid with miles (no indication in their description or my receipt that this would be a problem) and The Economist never showed up because it was an online subscription, not a paper copy (again, no indication of this anywhere I could find). So I'm out miles which I probably would never have been able to use and unhappy not to have my subscriptions since there seems to be not much else to do with these miles.

• Lo
                            Lori George Jan 28, 2017

Does anyone have a phone number to call united mags for miles to cancel subscriptions? Thank you

• Ar
                            aremia Nov 08, 2014

HAVE TRIED A NUMBER OF TIMES TO ARRANGE INTERCONTINENTAL 1 ST CLASS FLIGHTS W/ UNITED AS CARRIER. FLIGHTS ARE NEVER AVAILABLE WEEKS EVEN MONTHS OUT

WHAT USE ARE THE THOUSANDS OF STAR ALLIANCE EARNED MILES???????????? [email protected]

• Ze
                            Zeynep Oct 06, 2011

It has been a year and we couldn't still get our refund from United states. They said that the refund will be done in 7 business days and it has been 1 year!!! I don't know what happened because we are calling calling and calling, and no one answers for months! I will recommend everyone not to fly with them!

United AirlinesLack of customer service and charged $200

Long post:
                          I called #united #airlines #unitedairlines before Jorge arrived for the holidays. We wanted to pick him up in Houston (his connecting flight) instead of Okc since we decided to go to the beach. I wanted to make sure there would not be any fees for not making the connecting flight. I spoke to the customer service department and they assured me that as long as I go to the ticket counter and let them know he won't be connecting, there would not be a fee for flight change.
                          When he arrived in Houston we went directly to the ticket counter and told them what we were told. They insisted they would have to cancel his return flight home because he was breaking his flight agreement and I would have to buy a new ticket for him to return home.
                          I asked to speak to the supervisor. She accused me (in front of a large crowd of holiday travelers) of scamming #united. I was mortified and in tears. She said that she wouldn't cancel the flight home but insisted that I pay $200 to avoid the flight being cancelled. I had no choice.
                          I called customer service again when I left. This time they said they don't take complaints on the phone. Convenient. I had to go through the process online. I waited 2 weeks for a response to be told I wouldn't receive a refund of my $200. This is still ongoing. Now I turn to social media. I might even have some shirts printed for my next trip to the airport.

United Airlinesua cancelled flight with no regards for passengers on board already or compensation

Flight booked for round trip from Edmonton Canada direct to Houston TX for Saturday Nov 22, 2014 with 9:22am departure>Email received Friday evening Nov 21st stating flight would be delayed by 1 hr & 45 minutes but to arrive for the 9:22 departure. Arrived at airport as requested, checked luggage and waited in departure area for 3:45 hrs to board. Plane was boarded 20 minutes before departure and every seat full . After 45 minutes & stewards going up & down the aisle rearranging over head luggage we were told that due to weather in Houston they needed to add additional gas & now plane was over weight, They asked for 6 volunteers to take later flight to Houston with a connection in Denver. If not enough passengers volunteered they would choose from passengers with least expensive tickets. This took an additional 45 minutes getting the passengers to DE board & then get their luggage from plane cargo area. We were then told lights were to be dimmed to prepare for take off. Everyone on board including stewards sat waiting for take off for 20 minutes. The Captain they came over the speaker stating the flight was cancelled & to de board & a UA agent would be waiting for us to get our luggage & take through Canadian Customs and back to United counter to make new flight arrangements. The line up at the United counter was now with an additional 100 passengers and only 2 ticket agents to complete all new flight arrangements. Passengers were extremely angry & frustrated only to have United Manager come over speaker saying No compensation would be given due to cancellation because of weather conditions. It was now after 3:30pm with NO regard for passengers with connecting flight now missed & passengers now would require overnight lodging .This experience has turned off so many Canadian and American passengers from ever looking at United Airlines as their airlines of choice.

United Airlines — Discrimination against disabled

I flew United Oct. 16, Oct. 21 and Oct. 28(1) BWI-Denver-(2)final San Diego;(3) SD-San Francisco-(4)final...

United AirlinesMileage plus miles

I have complaints pending against United w/th Consumer Protection Bureaus o/th US Dept of Transportation &/th IL, TX, & SD AG offices, &/th pertinent BBBs. United solicited 55, 000 Mileage Plus miles fr/me t/upgrade t/First Class all 6 segments o/a R/T itinerary MKE-LIH & LIH-MKE. After deducting th/miles, United then upgraded only 3 o/th 6 segments. Trying to be slick, United upgraded 1 o/th 3 outbound segments & 2 o/th 3 inbound segments. When I complained, United responded that upgrading 1 or more o/th segments in or out constitutes upgrading all segments. United tried th/same scam on me years ago, & re-credited th/miles back into my Mileage Plus account only after th/USDOT & IL AG intervened.

Will appreciate any advice & share info my complaint generates that might help others.

United AirlinesPoor service and baggage claims

Me and my wife’s vacation was largely ruined by the aggravation and inconvenience the lack of true customer service United Airlines caused on a planned trip to Burlington Vermont.
                                The flights were overbooked to start as we received notice the night before when doing on-line check in. We checked our bags at the counter at MCO. Unproblematic flight. The nightmare begins in Newark. We get a text message to contact an agent when we disembark from the plane as UA4894 was canceled by air traffic control. Problem is, no one was there to deal with passengers, the few agents manning the whole terminal were facing long lines and many many counters were simply empty. Telling folks to contact an agent but not having nearly enough agents is just the start of this saga. The next text we get is to tell us we are rebooked for Saturday morning leaving at 930 am which is two days later. My wife gets in line at what seems to be a “service counter” which has 5 or 6 stations but only two agents, and in excess of 50 people in line which is not moving at all.
                                I call UA while my wife is in line and it is virtually impossible to get a person. This is part of the grand design, as this theme will repeat over and over again. My wife never does get through the line, but after 49 minutes per my cell phone records, I got through the endless wait time for an agent on the phone and started considering an alternate flight with a partner that would have put us in BTV around 1130 pm after flying via Washington D.C. No help form the automated kiosk for rerouting which is only telling us the Saturday flight is our only option.
                                However, in the meanwhile due to nearly 30 passengers being in line, my wife and I learn UA agent is offering a bus to transport to BTV (6 hour ride) but it would get us to BTV by around 800 pm. Several individuals including us asked about the baggage (my medication unfortunately was in my checked baggage). The agents actually refused to release our baggage, offering some assurances or promises that while there was no room for us on a 500 pm flight (still not sure why our flight could not just take off later as other planes were leaving all day long), but there was room for our baggage and it would be there before our bus would arrive and we would just have to claim it. That would be the first of multiple lies. To be fair, it seems different things were told to different people at different times, with some being told they had no idea when baggage would arrive and it could well be Saturday or Sunday. We were in the group that was refused luggage release and assured the bags would be there. This was important to me due to my medication.
                                Well, if things went according to promises there would be no letter. We would just lose the half day and suffer the fatigue of the bus trip. Evidently the gate agents there at BTV had no idea nearly thirty people would be showing up, betraying poor organization and communication and a careless disregard for traveling passengers. They had no idea what promises were or were not made about the baggage and there were some unhappy campers arriving late and tired at BTV. We were given claim forms to file. Our two bags got put under my wife’s name and given a file number (see above). The folks at BTV could provide no information or estimate on bag arrival.
                                We were told by the UA agent/employee/representative to contact the baggage resolution center, but to do this as soon as we could get Houston and “before the phones get turned over to India”. What an ominous warning and admission of the deliberately negligent and insufficient service delivered by UA. No such luck for us. It was immediately apparent we had India. After multiple repetitions of the issues and even 4 or 5 tries with the file number with someone who could not understand English I requested a supervisor….. lots of resistance to that, told they did not know when or if our luggage would arrive, or where it was despite my explaining this was critical to me due to the medication. Put on hold for a supervisor …. 11 minutes on hold then the call was disconnected, I redialed, tried again placed on hold again for supervisor, this time 14 minutes on hold with no supervisor – exhausted, I tried calling the Houston number which is provided as a second number on the file form… no luck, obviously India again.
                                Sent online forms using UA system for baggage problems and due to my concern about being without meds also the personal injury claim online:
                                Here is the only responses I have yet to receive now 5 days later:
                                *** This is an automated response confirming the receipt of your email. Please do not reply ***

Thank you for contacting United Airlines. Your message has been received and will be directed to a member of our Baggage Resolution team for review and research. For any questions related to this message, please reference case ID: 6758153
                                Thank you for contacting United Airlines. Your message has been received and will be directed to a member of our Baggage Resolution team for review and research. For any questions related to this message, please reference case ID: 6756534
                                Thank you for contacting United Airlines. Your message has been received and will be directed to a member of our Baggage Resolution team for review and research. For any questions related to this message, please reference case ID: 6752612
                                Please use this Case ID number if you need to contact us regarding this inquiry: 6750214
                                Thank you for contacting United Airlines. Our Customer Care team is currently responding to most inquiries within 14-21 business days. If your message is regarding an upcoming trip, a baggage delay or about our MileagePlus frequent flyer program, please refer to our helpful links below. We look forward to assisting you.
                                - Your United Airlines Customer Care team
                                So, that system is nothing but a mirage. The only thing worse than not providing customer service is making pretend you do. My vacation is now running into day two trying to get a guess of when I can get my clothes supplies and medicine. We already miss one dinner, and I spend 38 minutes Friday morning finally getting a supervisor. Supervisor seems more understanding of the urgency of getting an answer on luggage delivery but cannot explain the initial lie, or why a second bus could not have taken the luggage, or the same bus could not have made a second trip to Vermont with a fresh driver. Supervisor tries to call Newark to find out if sending a bus with the luggage is possible, but (scroll back to how many people are actually there to make pretend customer service is important)…..cant get anyone in Newark despite a long hold. We get authorization to buy some clothes, I ask for at least $150 each which he “approves”.
                                We cancel plans for the rest of the morning (it is now Friday around 1100 pm) and are now in the second long day in our clothing (all my clothes were in my bag along with some of my wife’s as I was carrying business papers a laptop and photography equipment in my carry-ons). My wife had no carry ons other as she does not want to lug anything. Her things are split between her checked bag and mine. Both of us are in light casual Florida summer wear and we head off to get replace Vermont rainy cold weather clothes and shoes / some supplies we had packed in our baggage which still has no known time for delivery (We were told there were no Newark Flights to VT till Saturday) but no assurance it would be on that flight. Also told we were misinformed that Houston handles any baggage claim service, and that they (India) are the only providers or people to talk to.
                                I had my doubts since the small flights had been overbooked and there was no apparent room on the 500 pm flight 6/12/14. My faith and belief of anything emanating out of UA is fading and my wife complaining she would never fly UA again. Not a great start to vacation.
                                At the hotel lobby we get some info on where to get some clothing and told that the same thing happened to the hotel clerk and this apparently happened to a number of her friends – getting bused and no luggage sent with them. We call relatives in the area and one took a taxi on a return trip from Houston and her husband delayed for 10 hours on return from California. This was just the beginning of countless UA BTV nightmares we collected.
                                Get to the mall to get at least some clothes. We are now soaked in our 2 day Florida clothes. I am not a big clothes shopper, but it becomes quickly clear to me shoes suitable for the planned activities, dinner clothes, and other items are going to be a lot more than $150 each, never mind women’s clothes, shoes and wife’s needs. Search the UA baggage claim thing on the internet for the phone number and baggage policy limit which is $3500. I try to call Baggage claim, obviously India again. Have real trouble communicating. I told her we were coming from Newark to BTV, then she would ask where were you coming from. Either not listening or not comprehending. She refuses to speak with me or help me, claiming she cannot find my file without my file number (a lie) and that without the file number she cannot let me talk to a supervisor (another lie, and not impossible, its either a policy or wanton obstruction). Cannot tell me what baggage claim rights I have, a number of someone at UA to complain to, a legal department number, a complaint department number, or confirm that the baggage claim limit listed on the baggage claim website is accurate or pertains. Thus the baggage claim department cannot state or confirm baggage claim rights, rules or responsibilities.
                                I am continuing to be upset now since there is nothing but poor baggage claim service and deliberate obstruction in trying to get to superiors who might be able to understand English or are empowered to do anything, Its now well into Friday afternoon and we are not starting any of our “vacation”. The mall does not have anything my size (I am 2xl to 3xl) but my wife finds a few things, so we head downtown to see if we can find shoes/sneakers other needs and eventually pick up what we need before making a final stop to get some toiletries before heading to the hotel to change. We get a call on the way to the hotel that someone is delivering our baggage. Would have been nice to know that before we spent the day running around for clothes and supplies, but I think at least don’t have to stop at a pharmacy to see if I can get meds before my doctors office closes on
                                Friday.
                                Wrong. Wife’s bag is there, but only has some of her stuff, as the rest is in my bag, and worse for me, my meds are in my bag. There is no way to call UA in BTV, in fact I learn there are no phone numbers on the internet for any UA local gates – it all goes to the 1800 system. In short to ask if my bag got left behind in BTV while my wife’s was delivered, I have to call, gulp, India again???, and India seems to have no more luck getting a hold of any UA agents at the airports than I do. This time I desperately try to get an agent and make it through to someone in the U.S. Express my gratitude for that and she seems to understand why I refuse to let her transfer me back to baggage claim in India. She learns my bag is still in Newark and that in fact an error was made at MCO where my bag claim number was assigned to my wife’s bag and her bag claim number to mine (a homeland security issue when you can’t even get the bags to match up right with the passengers – careless at least) and that my bag as of Friday night when we got back to the hotel was still in Newark. She could find out exactly where it was by calling the million miles phone line. Evidently that can be done, but not by the terribly useless baggage claim service which after lots of time could tell me nothing. She could not tell me when it would be delivered.
                                Saturday morning still no luck with getting answers from India baggage claim “service”. Supervisor unavailable. They can’t confirm the information I was provided the prior night. After holding for supervisor, told again no supervisor available. They promise supervisor will call me back, take all my contact numbers. That was another lie, NEVER got a call from a supervisor.
                                It’s the stuff Saturday Night Live parodies are made of: hang ups while on hold for supervisors, endless holds for supervisors, lies that supervisors will call back, internet forms to fill out that are never answered, no phone numbers for local airport UA, computer phone menus that only send you back to India, refusals of requests to speak to a department in the US or a department that can handle customer complaints, and lies about what your system can and can’t tell you (such as actually knowing where the bag is; being able to look up my account without the file number), and lies that there is even another bag claim service in the US.
                                Without my medication I really had to limit my food intake and activities we spent the day Saturday hiking, and attending commitments since at least now we had clothes and apparel appropriate for activities. I again don’t have my claim number with me but anxious about my medications and trying to determine if I need to go to a local ER or physician for an emergency supply of meds I call the dreaded baggage claim line. Surprise!!! It’s Houston! Houston baggage claim!!! Evidently the wonderful folks in India had posted an early obituary on their American competition and frankly lied to me I could not call or deal with Houston. Lying and misinformation at this level is not just one misinformed trainee – this is systematic obstruction and delay.
                                Still no response from the on-line inquiries. Houston seems a bit confused as the system (consistent with what I could see on the computerized system) stating it was out for delivery and only noting one bag (evidently the system did not clear that my wife’s bag made it). They seemed reassuring anyway that somehow it was on its way, but could not tell me where it way.
                                Before returning to the hotel, since we did not get a call like we did the day before, raising my anxiety, I tried calling baggage claim again. Lightning did not strike twice, I did not get Houston again. I was patient and fortunate to have a little better service from India this time. She could inform me it was my black bag that was going to be delivered and that it would “go out for delivery” at 1130 pm, and I would get a call (as we did on Friday) while it was en route to the hotel. We never got the call and as we returned late a bit exhausted from the day’s activities and the endless calls and dealings with your system very much discouraged there was no call.
                                Fortunately the nice people at the Marriott hotel, all sympathetic as they all seem to have had personal UA nightmares or knew people who had, were exemplary in terms of great customer service. On sight, without our asking they announced my bag had arrived. So we got to enjoy Sunday without headaches of calls to your customer “service” before being cramped on return flights and having my right knee knocked by a flight attendant with a cart since though I am barely outside of normal height I cannot put my legs fully behind the seat with hyperextending my knee and suffering cramps.
                                So now though I had a busy day at the office after my not so restful or healthy vacation, I am spending hours filling in your claim forms, getting copies of what you require and writing this letter before I will spend some more time making copies and faxing the claim to whatever customer “service” handles these claims.
                                Now, the 1800 fax number for claims gives me a no signal message. Call...India again! They repeat that is the number. After getting irate at repeated attempts to make the operator understand I am not an idiot and can understand fax error messages, I ask for supervisor. No supervisor, but did get a different baggage claim fax number. My fax to them asked for them to acknowledge receipt of the fax when it arrived... nearly 12 hours later, no response. Emailed UA counsel, president and other officials last night and 3x today. No reply.