Uhaulovercharges

I

I rented truck from a u-haul agent on centennial ave. in cranford, nj and was overcharged. I drove the truck 2 miles within the same town I rented the truck from and was charged for putting over 180 miles on the truck. The truck was returned within four hours of renting. The following day the truck was rented by someone else and u-haul never checked the mileage. They are giving me a hard time getting my refund. This is theft. Do not use this rental agency unless the manager is available to clock you in and out and double check the mileage.

charle82 Apr 29, 2010

I just had the same instance last week. I rented the truck from a woodbridge, VA location and they were very nice people to deal with, an I got the truck for "One Way Rental". They gave me an initial 34Miles and then additional 16Miles which gives me the total of 50Miles. I went from the Uhaul location at woodbridge to the place where i'm moving from and that was 5.3Miles and it was around 2:42 pm; I loaded up everything that needs to go to my Hayattsville MD apartment (Ex: Large furniture). I finished loading around 7:48 pm and headed to Hayattsville and it was around 36Miles (taking 395 and going through DC New York Ave etc...) so the total so far is lets say around 42Miles. From there I parked the truck at the loading dock which took me an hour to reach and went to have dinner because I skipped lunch and I had no more strength on me and needed to rest. I got back from Outback around 10 pm and started unloading my belongings and the loading dock wasn't a typical one that is close to the elevator, but it was more of a MAZE and had to walk a lot to get to the freight elevator. I was done unloading probably around 2:11 AM and before I dropped off the truck I put together a couple of things like the bed, tables etc... and was on my out to drop off the truck around 3:03 AM and did the overnight drop off at the Takoma Park, MD location around 3:20 A.M and it was 3.1Miles away from my MD apartment. Overall I did around 46-47 Miles and still was below the allowance and after a week I checked my bank account and I found out that they I had driven 160Miles and was overcharged. Can you believe that??? I bet you can, and this was my first time renting a truck of any sort. I called and filed a claim and I got a call back from someone the same day and to my surprise she said they will not issue a refund for the overcharge because I have driven all those miles even though I have rented the truck "One Way" and because it was an overnight drop off they can pretty much do whatever they want because there is no one there to see the truth except me and GOD. It is really disappointing to see how low and desperate people are getting to make a quick buck. Just Imagine I didn't have the funds for the overcharge which was close to $50 and then end up with an overdraft fee and so on... Now I'm waiting for the lovely lady who ruined my day to fax me over the paperwork for the odometer reading of the next person who rented the same truck, I wouldn't be surprised to see some foul play because as I said "people would do anything for a quick buck". I think there should be a better system to this overnight drop off box S**T because being taken advantage of is not something pleasing and I'm the type of person who tries to do everything accordingly and truthfully. Even if you take the truck to the drop off location and take pictures of the odometer and record it on a piece of paper they will have the opportunity to take advantage because there is no proof, they could say well you take the picture and then continue driving and there are so many excuses and UHUAL can have their way. The Lovely lady told me "Why didn't you drive it and handed it to someone when they are open??" Then why do you have those overnight Key Drop off boxes and on top of that I forgot my GPS windshild mounting thing as well. I will rent again from UHaul but for all of you out there do not trust or go with the overnight drop off box option because they will eat you up alive.

NO MORE OVERNIGHT DROP OFFS A LESSON WELL LEARNED