Menu
TurboTax
reviews & complaints

TurboTax
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

410 complaints
33 resolved 377 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of TurboTax. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
6:47 pm EST

TurboTax - direct deposit fees

Turbo Tax Bank Processing Fee

29.95 for a direct deposit fee for Federal and for State? Really TurboTax? I pay another 60$ for something the state and federal government can deposit in my account on their own.
Well this year for 2013 I used good ole’ turbo tax again, except this time when I got to the end I was met with a little surprise! After you are done with your tax return they always give you the deposit options.

Wow so now in addition to paying turbo tax for taxes I have to pay them just for deducting the money from my return? The key advantage over turbo tax over H&R block and everybody else has always been the convenience! Now they are charging even more for that convenience, which to me doesn’t make it worthwhile at all.

Let me just say this…I am a LIFE LONG turbo tax user, and never have I seen a better reason NEVER TO USE THEM AGAIN. I also want to know if turbo tax is using the processing fee to make money, and does my money come to me or the other banks first? This seems like a scam.

Come on turbo tax, you have a great thing going. Whoever thought up this idea needs to be fired. Sure it may add money to your bottom line THIS YEAR, but people if nobody comes back NEXT YEAR what are you going to do about that? I have worked in sales and marketing before and this kinda logic is stupid!

Why alienate your loyal customers with fees, ?Spread the word, turbo tax sucks!

2:37 pm EST
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have been chatting with 10_Kathryn D and 5_John R for the past three hours. Turbo tax refuses to refund me the 56.97 dollar fee and the 29.99 dollar fee. The customer service from Kathryn was terrible so much disrespect. I tried to explain to her and she keeps saying they cant do it . I agreed to my tax money being deposited into my bank account at...

C
8:37 pm EST

TurboTax - defective cd's

Just purchased a TurboTax Home and Business CD for tax year 2013 from COSTOC and spent several hours attempting to make it actually work. Long story short, the on-line person allowed me to download it and that worked perfectly. I'm betting that they have a serious problem with their CD's - avoid them at all costs.

Update by CrankyPaulie
Jan 03, 2014 8:38 pm EST

Me too!

C
1:29 pm EDT

TurboTax - double charged me and no refund

They double charged my account and I tried to reach someone at their customer servcve number which was a nightmare.
First I got someone in INDIA and they transferred me becuase I wanted to speak to a supervisor and then I was transferred to a rep in NEW YORK which hung up on me. I called back continued to get the runaround . I basically cut my losses and filed at a locat tax prepeartion place---Stay Away from TURBO TAX they are criminals and the commercials are all lies!

1 comment
Dec 31, 2021 12:15 pm EST

downloads do not work properly. no refunds. no support. TOTAL RIPOFF! Stay away from this site!

10:12 pm EDT

TurboTax - tax refund

My Wife and I filed our joint 2012 income tax on march 11 2013 with turbo tax.We got confirmation from the IRS that they sent our returns to our bank account,
We don't have a bank account, but we requested out tax refund be sent on Visa card, which turned out to be netspend after numerous phone calls and run around from Turbo tax, after we asked them why on earth is our refund in netspend bank when we requeseted it on visa card because we don't have a bank, and this was the option we choosed.
Bottom line Netspend is a fraud, a ripoof and should not be allowed to operate.
I am amazed that the IRS has allowed a parasite like" Netspend "to be operating under their noses, ripping off and scamming Americans I doubt we are going to get our Refund, which is a little under a thousand dollars, and I am lost as to who I could, contact about their sleazy underhanded and more than likely illegal practices.But Turbo Tax and all their affiliates should all be put out of business, and their heads frog marched off to prison, and they should be put out of business because Turbo tax who got paid out of my taxes the same time I filed, and I have not and might not even get any my refund, when I ask them whats up with this, I was told that that effectively, once Turbo tax has filed and completed your returns, you are on your own.
They are a whole cabal of corporate vipers

May 07, 2013 7:29 pm EDT

Same thing happend to me over 7K missing that netspend says was sent back to the IRS but the irs cant find it 2 months later!

G
May 02, 2013 4:22 pm EDT

TBX, why would you used a net-spend per-paid card. It look like you have bad credit and can not get a regular bank account so the IRS can send your check to the bank.

May 02, 2013 4:16 pm EDT

According to Netspend customer service my refund was sent back to the IRS due to lack of proof of adress. If this is so then why does the IRS say it is not there and an advocate for the IRS states that you return unused portions of tax rebate funds rejected all in one large sum check and no proof of who's money it belongs to such as statement of amount and names of all returns sent in that one large check. How is the IRS suppose to know who's money has been returned to them and what amount is for each person tax returns are? This is a poor example of banking! This also causes hardship on families who are waiting for thier returns to be resent out by the IRS. Also the IRS has no clue who we are that had thier returns sent back to them nor the amount of money that is owed. What are we to do? What should you do to fix this problem to help tax payers recieve what is owed to them?

Apr 30, 2013 9:31 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Please send your information to [email protected] and we will look into this for you.

B
Apr 30, 2013 12:31 am EDT

Same thing has happened to me. I received $2, 000 dollars on my card and had over $1, 000 left on it. In the beginning of April I received an email stating that my account has been closed and to call this number [protected], I called that evening and was told that my funds were being issued to a check on the account by the middle of April, it is now April 29th, I just called the original number and they have told me that was not the department that deals with it and they transferred me to a line that was not working. This is ridiculous.

Apr 01, 2013 9:47 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

We are very sorry to hear that you feel this way about us.

Please send your information to [email protected] and we will he happy to address any concerns.

11:32 pm EDT

TurboTax - poor service

Unfortunately I just wasted 4 hours on TurboTax. After entering all of my federal tax details, the site became stuck at the error check stage. I tried to reboot a couple times and tried logging on with another device (different laptop and an iPad) but still received the same error. I then tried to contact TurboTax via their help center. I was on hold for 40 minutes only to be transferred to another number to be put on hold for another 20 minutes. The representative said the error is due to a system glitch because she received a memo saying so. She was not able to offer any further information beyond that. Very disappointed with TurboTax online. I will not use the service again.

1 comment
Mar 03, 2011 11:31 am EST

I used Turbotax to prepare my 2008 tax returns. I bought a house in September of 2008 and qualified for the first time homebuyer "tax credit". Turbotax failed to inform me that this is not a credit! That it is in fact an interest free loan that I have to pay back within 15 years. I didn't get any messages informing me or sign anything agreeing to pay this "tax credit" back.

7:03 pm EST

TurboTax - tax refund delayed/missing

I filed a tax return with Turbotax this year. When the payment option came up, I selected the " deduct from your refund" option. After a few days I started tracking the progress of my return on the irs website. The refund was sent electronically on Feb. 6. After another few days, I noticed the money still wasn't in my bank account. I read over the payment terms and found out that Turbotax takes my WHOLE refund and funnels it through their bank ( First California Bank) before sending it to me. Anyway, I called First California to find out when I could expect my money. I was informed that they had received my refund, but Turbotax never sent them my file so my money was going to be returned to the IRS. It's been a few weeks now and I'm not sure what's going to happen, but this has been a horrible experience. Never again...

11:31 pm EST

TurboTax - promoting the use of netspend for refunds

I have been using Turbotax to file my taxes and absolutely love your service. After filing my taxes online, as I have done in the past 4 years I noticed an offer. The offer was to put income tax refunds on a Netspend card. I am a Netspend customer and have been for years. Unfortunately I encountered a situation where charges were made on my card. This means the person who has been using my card produced the same card I have in my possession. Netspend has been notified and have still let charges go through causing my account to be in the negative. I am now left without any money and they said it would take at least 10 days and maybe up to 2 months to fix this. I would hate for a turbotax customer to have the same thing happen dealing with their income tax returns. It is not fair and they are aware that I live in a different state and they know I have charges in the state I reside and the purchases were made in New York. Thank God this was not my income tax refund, and I would hate for Turbotax to catch a bad rep promoting people use Netspend services. I would trust Netspend, but the way they are treating me after being a loyal customer for years, I can just imagine how they would treat someone had a temporary card through turbotax.

3 comments
Mar 28, 2017 1:58 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

My daughter opened a netspend card to load her tax refund, and netspend wouldn't release her money, kept sending her "new" cards with no funds attached. They are a scam. It may take her up to 2 months to get her money back.

Mar 30, 2017 4:17 pm EDT

Hello,
We apologize to hear about your experience.. As these reviews are anonymous, can you please contact us at [email protected] and provide some account information? This will enable us to locate your account and address this issue.

Thanks,
Netspend

Feb 19, 2013 1:29 pm EST

Hi Jakki,

We are very sorry to hear about the unauthorized charges made on your account. There are several different ways fraudsters can gain access to your card information and we would like to assist you with this. Please send your information to [email protected] and we will get back with you.

We can assure you that your account security and your privacy are very important to us. We work to provide you a secure experience by using industry leading security technology and adhering to the payment card industry's most stringent standards for protecting payment card information.

11:15 pm EDT

TurboTax - stay away from turbotax

I have been using TurboTax for 7 years but will never use their products again. After entering my tax info and seeing a refund due, I opted for ‘audit defense’, which was an additional $40. Instead of paying for it with a credit card, I decided to use the option to deduct it from my refund. BIG MISTAKE, I guess I didn’t see the fine print that must state that I will be charged an additional $30 for processing by “University National Bank”. WOW, after giving them business for buying an additional service (pure profit, since I won’t be audited), they reward me by spanking me with another $30 fee.

I’m doing this complaint in reference to turbotax about my tax refund. I received my tax refund and i thought everything would be fine. I took half the money off my card to do some things i had to do. The next time i usrd the card it declined. I called customer service to see why my money was not on the card and they said i was being audited for idenity theft. Its been over a month and six faxes later of my social security, proof of address, and i.d. card and im still getting the run around. I have been very patient with turbotax, but its starting to run out. I understand protecting my privacy but what more do i need to do to prove who i am.

And for what? To deduct $40 from my refund?! I could train a monkey to do that for a nice ripe banana. LOL

Stay away from TURDOTAX !?!

11:14 pm EDT

TurboTax - scam with foreign tax credits

The Turbotax advertising campaign claiming “accurate calculations” is BOGUS when it comes to the Foreign Tax Credit (FTC) calculation. The IRS instruction on page 1 for Form 1116 (the FTC), clearly states that certain individuals are allowed to claim $300.00 (600.00 for married) directly as a credit on page 2 of Form 1040, WITHOUT filing Form 1116. This applies to foreign tax withheld at the source and reported on Form 1099-DIV or Form K-1, i.e. many mutual funds that have foreign tax holdings. Turbotax INSISTS on channeling these foreign tax deductions through the Form 1116 and all of its calculations, which may result in a reduction of the credit that the taxpayer is entitled to.

This has occurred in prior years – 2010 and before – as well as in the 2011 version. So, you may need to file amended tax returns to claim the true amount of the credit, if you are in the 3-year window for filing amended returns. Check it out- if you had 200.00 reported on a Form 1099-DIV as foreign tax paid, and got a credit for much less due to this treatment by Turbotax, then you have “found money”. Read the IRS Instruction for Form 1116 on page 1 – it’s in plain English and easy to understand.

Turbotax first-level support people are useless to help you – they attempt to deflect your question, sell you a higher version, refer you to your “tax adviser”, or place you on hold for 10-12 minutes while they confer with higher-ups-i.e. pretend to talk to someone higher while eating donuts or something – ala Seinfeld and the car rental reservation, for you Seinfeld fans.

11:41 am EDT

TurboTax - turbo tax: unreliable crooks

Just received an IRS notice for taxes apparently owed back in 2010. WTF?! After paying Turbo Tax to efile my 2010 taxes I was assured a $311 federal refund - not a word, not a warning, not a single indication from the service that I owed anything. So much for 'Breathe easy. The calculations on your return are backed with our 100% Accuracy Guarantee. We double checked your return for errors along the way. We helped with step-by-step guidance to get your answers on the right IRS forms...' Total load a sh**t! I feel completely blindsided by this IRS notice and the inefficiency of Turbo Tax - I double checked what I filed/inputted. Found no errors there and realized the fault lay with Turbo Tax.
Called the 'Contact Us' number on the site and waited approximately 61 minutes and 34 seconds to speak to someone. When I explained that I believed Turbo Tax was in error - the operator/tax advisor suggested that I should have filed a Schedule C form w/my 1040. Hmmmm! I thought that's what I was paying Turbo Tax for!? - to help GUIDE me and ASSIST me in filing my taxes properly, shame on me for my presumptions. I was guided to a Schedule EIC, a Schedule M ... but not to a Schedule C...Thanks for nothing Turbo Tax! As a single parent breadwinner I'm used to dealing with numerous disappointments and constant financial strain - now I have one more to throw on top of the steaming heap.

P
10:45 am EDT

TurboTax - misleading

Beware. Their online filing is very misleading. I am an intelligent, internet savvy consumer and still found myself somehow facing a choice of paying two different prices after clicking on a FREE product. The customer service representative said that was an upgrade option but it certainly appears like, in order to continue, you must choose one. It is possible, I think, to do the federal filing for free as their intro page states, but after seeing that misleading the masses into paying money they didn't expect to is how they do business, I did not try again.

H
2:33 am EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

TurboTax - they stole my money

So i Filed my taxes in Jan 2012 it was excepted the next day. it is now March still no money. called IRS. they deposited into turbo tax account on 1st of FEB. I called my bank there was no deposit or attempt to deposit said funds on or around that day. Called turbo tax and spent over 2 hrs on the phone getting transferred to 6 different people. They told me to contact their bank. They couldn't tell me where my money was or when i would get it. Then to try to speak to a person that can bearly speak english and who is always interupting you when you are trying to explain the story yet again is just angering even more. Turbo Tax is a joke. they stole my money and wont give it to me. Nobody is willing to help. They want to blame it all on the IRS. but it's Turbo Taxes fault. i have made a complaint with the better business burea and will continue to make complaints on every site i can find. i Will bad mouth them till the day i die. This is a terrible business. Im a single parent and don't have the luxury to give that kind of money away. I WORKED FOR IT SO ITS MINE! TURBO TAX ARE THEIVES.

F
12:15 am EST

TurboTax - do not comply with them

TURBO TAX HAS BEEN HOLDING MY REFUND SINCE 01/25 AND ITS NOW 03/05 I KEPT SENDING IN ALL THE INFO THEY WERE REQUESTING ID, SS AND BILL.. ALL MY FRIENDS WHO STOP SENDING INFO TO TURBO TAX.. TURBO TAX SENT THEIR INFO BACK TO THE IRS AND THEY RECEIVED THEIR INCOME TAX CHECKS FROM THE IRS WITHIN 5 DAYS... AND TURBO TAX WAS STILL HOLDING MY MONEY NEAR A MONTH LATER CAUSE I KEPT COMPLYING WITH THEM... AFTER MY FRIENDS TOLD ME TO STOP CALLING AND SENDING INFO THEY WERE REQUESTING WAS THE RIGHT THING FOR ME TO DO... I CALLED TURBO TAX AFTER NOT CALLING FOR 2 WEEKS OR SENDING IN INFO.. THE REP TOLD ME TODAY 03/05 THEY SENT MY REFUND BACK TO THE IRS ON 02/28 I AM SO HAPPY AT LEAST I KNOW I'LL GET MY CHECK SOON.. I SHOULD OF BEEN STOP SENDING THINGS IN AND ALSO CALLING .. I HOPE THIS HELPS AND I'M NEVER USING THE TURBO TAX CARD IF YOU HAVE A BANK ACCOUINT THEY WILL DEPOSIT TO YOUR ACCOUNT/// JUST DON'T USE THE CARD// I'LL KEEP YOU POSTED WHEN I RECEIVE MY CHECK !

Apr 29, 2012 9:00 am EDT

Everyone that is threatening legal action I would love to see what their attorneys are telling them. I bet it would make me roll on the floor laughing. xD

Did you get your money yet? I closed my card after not receiviong it, I closed it on 2/17 and today 3/29 I still have not received my money, I am contacting an attorney.

S
6:27 am EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

TurboTax - with holding my refund

I filed my taxes with turbo tax online. I requested that my refund be deposited on a turbo tax card. The card never came and I called them they requested information verifying my identity. I sent the information but no matter what I send they keep asking for more and will not give me my refund. I think they blocked my phone number because whenever I call from my phone it will not go through just says to call back later. i called from my son's phone and it went through they gave me the same run around how the info I sent was not good enough and they want more and different info. I think they want me to give up and forget about the money. It is only 1, 000 but I really need it . I am ready to get money and file a lawsuit just to prove they can not steal from people and get away with it.

Feb 02, 2017 1:47 am EST

I'm not really sure what to think at this point. I've used them for the last 5 to 7 years and only had a couple issues but that was because I forgot my password and didn't have a hard copy of anything.

This year because of my financial situation I had closes my account in Dec, forgetting all about how I was going to get my refund this year. I was going to choose the prepaid car bit now I'm not sure I'm confident enough.

I really wanted to get the Chase Liquid prepaid Visa card since that's where I used to bank. Problem is my driver's license.has been expired because I haven't had enough money to pay for renewal and I was pulled over last year for that very reason and the fine is $402! Geez, I just paid over $200 to get my 1998 Honda Civic which also had to be smogged. I've been living in my car for the last year it was either find a cheap place to live or eat. Without a beat I had to choose food. Los Angeles is just way to expensive to live compared to the average wages and I had 2 full-time jobs.

I 57 and don't have someone I can fall on for a place to sleep or ask for a small loan to get my license or just an ID. I have an original Social Sec card and my birth certificate somewhere but I'm afraid that won't be enough because no picture ID. What do they think. When my DL expired I no longer am the same person on that card with my picture which also happens to have the exact same name on Birth Cert and Social.

People get away with none of those things so why am I, born in the United States, served in the Air Force and paid taxes every year and now that I'm in a tough spot I may not be able to get back the money I worked hard for only because they take too much out every year.

I need to go live off the grid after this.I just can't deal with all the ridiculous rules they keep putting on Americans to "Protect us from terrorist" and yet our lives have become the ones inconvenienced while the actual terrorist seem to go on their way unimpeded and laughing as they watch us getting fondled so we can leave or return to our own country.

Hey I'm not for building a wall or deporting everyone bit something does need to be put in place to improve weeding out the true terrorist and I'm not pointing at any one race or religion because even Americans have turned evil on their own country.

I'm not a criminal or drug addict and after my 3 years at my last job a young kid and ex-con passed my pay after he was there 6 months and I had over 20 years of construction and tools at one of the big box stores. Or the kid coming from Louisiana and took a greeters job and started at around my current rate.

What has this world come to? All this frustration and all over me wanting to get my hard earned money back so I can give it all back for fines and fees so they can have an active DL so I can actually prove that I am who I say I so I won't be mistaken for a terrorist who is so broke he couldn't cause too much damage.

I have to go before I lose my mind. Thanks for letting me vent, I really needed it. I honestly believe also that my type of situation is more common than most choose to believe. Heck I myself know at least 2 people having issues . Good luck to everyone.

Apr 29, 2012 9:01 am EDT

2:09 am EST
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I recently filed my taxes via Turbo Tax and opted to receive their TurboTax Visa card. Little did I know, it would be the card from HELL! Upon receiving it, I was excited to finish final wedding purchases. I received the card on a Friday, and I began using it immediately. On the following Thursday I proceed to buy myself lunch, but my card kept getting...

6:29 pm EST

TurboTax - not giving me my tax money

i used turbo tax this year for the first time..never again...they said they mailed my card made me wait ten buss days and no card ever came they recieved my money from irs on jan.26 next they said ok we will fed ex you a new card 1 to 3 buss. but cannot provide me with a tracking number well wonder why that card never came...asked them to transfer my money to a differant account and they said cannot do it with out me having my card number...so told me that they will issue another new card and fed ex it 1 to 3 buss. days...funny still no card..they are not willing to do anything to get me money that they have had for over a week...

Mar 14, 2015 8:55 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

It was not my choice to have Turbotax has place part of my refund money into an Amazone gift card, now they are giving me run-around by saying that the process cannot be reverse. It was their mistake and they should correct it.I thing the whole thing it's a scam to rip people off

Apr 29, 2012 9:00 am EDT

P
Apr 16, 2012 1:09 am EDT

I also wanted my Tax Refund on the TurboTax Card, they emailed and said the Card would arrive on 4-5-2012, but it never arrived.
Waited a week to make sure it was not just late, and was told a new card would be issued, and they could Fed Ex the Card at a cost of $20. No, I told them, just mail the Card. Then, was told there was a "Reissuance Fee" of $4.95. Why, I asked, I never received the Card, why did I have to pay when they did not deliver the Product. Would not agree to the Fee, told them to cancel my account and mail me a check, will take 30 days. I am waiting for my Tax Refund.
DO NOT USE THE TURBO TAX REFUND CARD, YOU WILL NOT GET YOUR REFUND.

Feb 27, 2012 4:02 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, I'M CERTAIN THEY NEVER SENT THE CARD TO ME, HOWEVER I CALLED THEY CHARGED ME $24.00 TO SEND MY CARD VIA FED EX, I CALLED AND WAS TOLD THAT I WOULD NEED TO CALL BACK IN TWO HOURS TO GET THE TRACKING NUMBER, SAID THE CARD SHOULD BE DELIVERED TODAY 02/27/2012. I CALLED BACK WITHIN THE TWO HOUR WINDOW PROVIDED AND WAS TOLD THAT THEY WOULD CALL ME WITH THE TRACKING NUMBER. DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE TO ME HOW YOU CAN CHARGE ME TO RE-SEND A CARD YOU NEVER SENT, BUT FAIL TO PROVIDE ME WITH A TRACKING NUMBER. I WILL NEVER, EVER USE TURBO TAX SERVICES AGAIN. I HAVE NEVER, EVER BEEN THIS DISAPPOINTED WITH TURBO TAX IN MY 25 YEARS OF DOING INCOME TAXES.

F
Feb 17, 2012 7:31 pm EST

I waited 16 days hoping my card would soon arrive. After contacting customer service waiting 45 mins theey tried to assure me thee card was mailed on February 3 to thee correct address...so possibly it was just a slight delay in thee ground mail delivery blah blah blah.. Yeah well its February 17th and I just checked thee mail and of course no card! So theis is my first and final time using theere Joke of a service! WARNING: DO NOT USE THE TURBOTAX VISA CARD Sincerly "Ticked off in Florida"

Feb 13, 2012 11:06 pm EST

I am having the identical issue. I am supposedly to receive my card tomorrow. (been waiting since the 30th) please keep me updated on your case. I am interested in how they are handling the situation.

W
8:44 am EST

TurboTax - wheres my money

worst tax refund card to ever be made. My fiancee had his tax return deposited onto my turbo tax card. 3 days later with no warning or phone call they locked my account. We just move to Idaho with all the money we saved on that card. When we called the customer service we were informed of needing to proofs of i.d for me and my fiancee with a notarized letter when informing them that we had no other money for anything because we just moved here, I was told it can take up to ten business days to unlock my own money the same day the block was put on we had to race around town to find a notarizarion to sign our had written authorization form for our money. After sending everything they asked for they then told us they could not confirm they had received our, ssn, birth cert, or i.d s, nor did they have a way for us to speak to there investigation team, we later discovered they close for weekends, we're close to filing a lawsuit over our own legal hard earned money, my life is hell over there investigation of my own money, its been 4 days with no word of when were getting our money back. it took a year and a half to plan the move of our lives amidst the great times of being a hard working american who pays his taxes we are being un justifiably being forced to be almost homeless over our own money

Feb 07, 2012 9:45 pm EST

Oh you actually rec'd your card? Lucky you. I have my federal sitting on a card that is apparently lost in limbo. Re-issuing cards to people when the originals were never sent to begin with. Putting accounts on block for bogus security reasons. Requiring faxed SS#, DL's, etc which is a huge breach of privacy, especially since they friggin mailed it. Meantime weeks pass by and you have our money. Seems to me that holding thousands of taxpayers refunds, which collect interest, is a really good way to make some serious cash. These guys are complete crooks who offer no help whatsoever to the consumer who purchased their services. TurboTax/GreenDot, you have lost so many customer due to your sneaky practices. I will never use either company again. With the economy the way it is, to delay much needed refunds to people who worked hard all year is completely deplorable. There are complaints all over the internet. People are getting evicted, utilities shut off, and starving. There is no excuse for these bad business practices. I hope both companies get their a$$es sued in a class action!

G
Feb 03, 2012 12:32 am EST

We truly apologize for your experience. We want to assure you we are here to help. In accordance with IRS guidelines, you can direct your refund to your card; you cannot direct your refund to someone else's card (except for your spouse's account, if this is a joint refund). If we receive a tax refund intended for individuals other than the cardholder, the refund may be rejected and/or your card may be blocked, pending additional verification. For more details from the IRS about tax refunds, go to http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0, , id=164570, 00.html . Our intention is to investigate and make sure the refund is applied to the correct account. We understand this has caused a hardship for you and would like to assist you in resolving this issue, please send us an email to [email protected], provide your full name as it appears on your card, a contact number and the ticket number for your issue if you were provided one.

2:30 pm EST

TurboTax - wont give me my refund!

Me & my hubby recieved our card, activated it than put it up until the date of my refund. I woke up on that morning called the card to find my card closed for no reason! When I called Customer Service they said it must of went to wrong address or we canceled it but niether happened! Then they made us go fax all our personal info, copies of our ids, ss cards, and proof of address and after all that they still wont release our refund until thier review is over usually a week or more! We didnt do anything wrong. I talked to the bank who sends the refunds to the card & they said if there was a problem the card company should of released our refund back to them than theyd issue a paper check but they r not doing it! TT Card has our $7000 & we want it back! Ive used Turbotax for years but this is insane! Be careful if u have your refund put on thier card!

Feb 15, 2013 7:23 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Turbo tax card sucks ###, I've had the card since last year and I just went to check this year cause it had a balance on it that I was trying to save... Well it was closed on Jan 4th 2013 and I've called turbotax number on back of card multiple times and the only thing they tell me is my card was closed for security issues and was sent back to the IRS! I've called the IRS and they have no record of it, they said try the state so I called them and they have no record of it! WTF... This is ###! How can these people only give me an answer of your account was closed for security reasons and not tell me why or who exactly they sent the money too... ###s!

Apr 20, 2012 6:37 am EDT

My issue is a little different. I took the card (after receiving a text that our money had been transferred to our account this AM (4/20/12)) and went to my bank to have the funds from the card transferred to my bank accounts. The bank told me that there is a fee attached to this transaction, and the bank has not been informed what the fee is. When the bank tries to initiate the transaction the response is that the "transaction is invalid". The bank has no idea what the fees or how much it is. There is no schedule anywhere that indicates what this transaction fee is, and there is no "live" body to talk with to determine what is going on. I'm expected to pay to get MY money?

Mar 28, 2012 8:31 am EDT

i am having the same issue. They told me be ause of security reasons my card was closed and I needed to fax in a copy of my id, ss card, and a bill still the accoun has not been reopened. This is the biggest scam I've seen in years and the gov't nor the attorney general are doing anything about it. Holding everyones funds is helping them ti gain a large amount of interest. Never use the card.

Feb 13, 2012 6:07 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

turbotax card is the biggest piece of ### ever my funds have been on the card since the 7th of february and i havent recived my card because of a security block all they say someone will call you and verify some info and send out ur card its been over 2 weeks since i ordered the card and now they have my money and wont release it and to top it off the customer service system is always busy so it just hangs up on you...DONT EVER SIGN UP FOR A TURBOTAX CARD!

O
Feb 09, 2012 8:06 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

it makes me sick to my stomach to see how many people are going through this as i search online looking for answers. turbotax locks our cards then asks us to send in very personal and sensitive information and after we do this they still dont unlock our cards! if i send you a copy of my drivers license, social security card and a bill in my name what more could you possibly need to re-open my account! once they get our info they should instantly reopen our card! i will never use turbotax again and i am going to tell everyone i know not to use turbotax! and i will be contacting my local news station and newspaper which i suggest anyone going through this should! we need to stand together and file a class action lawsuit and hold them accountable!

Jan 27, 2012 8:17 pm EST

yes this is happening to a lot of us. about 3 or 4 people i know had the same issue. I dont know whats going on but they will lose a lot of business.

1:35 pm EST

TurboTax - misleading charges

Purchased Turbotax to do return because it stated free returns on federal. I completed the software install and filled in the forms for the taxes. on submission, it is misleading on how you get a refund. I selected direct deposit vs a prepaid card. When forms were submitted and printed, i see a charge of 29.95 for bank fees and 19.95 for turbo tax fees. These were not explained in the return and no where can i find in the software why i was charges especially since it states free filing. Very Very misleading.

3 comments
Mar 08, 2012 7:39 pm EST

The $19.95 fee is for the basic package. I'm getting charged $36.95 to file my state taxes with turbo tax, and I go through this every year. Somewhere along the line you selected that you want to file using their basic package which is not their free package. Once you select that they make it extremely difficult to deselect it, "every year."

Jan 28, 2012 2:57 am EST

When you need to file a state it costs extra money.

W
Jan 24, 2012 3:57 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

all the fees are clearly stated on their website:

The $19.95 was for your state filing. Turbotax charges a fee regardless of the form you choose to file a state retrurn.

From their website: "Additional fees apply for efiling state returns ($19.95)."

next year when you do your federal taxes, I would recommend using the Freefile fillable forms recommended by the IRS. I have used them for several years and it is 100% free and you get your refund within a couple weeks.

as far as your state taxes, most companies charge extra for e-filing those. Depending on your state, you may qualify for free e-filing. You would need to check your state's department of revenue website for more information on that.

TurboTax contacts