The Hearst Corporationmagizines I didnt order

C Review updated:

I have been getting billed for multiple magazines that I did not order... And getting doubles of 2 of them!! Help! I dont know how to contact hearst and stop the draws off of my accounts. I am a cop and I know law enforcement would just shrug at a complaint of theft... May be a class action law suite would be the great big kick in the @$$ that hearst apparently needs!

• J
      Apr 04, 2009

I am experiencing exactly the same problem with these people. Very frustrating. It's obvious why they fail to include their phone or website numbers. I called information in Red Oak, Iowa. Phone Company never heard of them. Class actionable? I'm in. Jim in Sonoma

• P
      May 20, 2009

I'm having the same problem with these people and to me its like they are trying to get bill pay that others want pay. I'm not paying for some one else bill.as of right now i haven't gotton any Magazines yet. i'm just getting bills saying thank you for your order and pay this amount. i didn't order them and i'm not paying this bill or any other that is sent to me. Phyllis in Erwin Tn.

• B
      Jul 04, 2009

Same thing happened to me. I received a copy of Good Housekeeping along with a bill thanking me for my order. I am a 31 year-old male! Did not obviously order this. I went to the customer service website for Good Housekeeping and clicking the link to cancel my subscription after emailing the address on Hearst's website and being told that they would get back to me.

• R
      Jul 23, 2009

Like many we continue to get misleading invoices from The Hearst Corporation for renewing magazines. The last invoice was sent first class and on the envelope it read "Dated Materials Enclosed" and "INVOICING BUREAU". The implication is "CREDIT BUREAU".

The letter reads:
    Your account with us has been brought to my attention. Your current subscription has come to an end and we still have not received payment for your renewal.

This concerns me, since we can not guarantee uninterrupted service on your subscription until your payment is processed.

(This section seems somewhat legitimate - the next section is inappropriate and uses scare tactics to sell the renewal)

Please take a moment now to settle your obligation with us and we will promptly extend your subscription as you requested.

Sincerely,
    G. L. Valk, Vice President

The words "settle" and "obligation" bring to mind that there is an outstanding promise made by us to renew. "Settle" is a term often used in collections.

We have received many of these letters with the same flavor from the Hearst Corporation. I imagine that it is quite easy for someone to misconstrue the letter to be a collections letter requiring payment to settle a promise to pay. We have good credit and pay our bills on time. This kind of letter tends to result in fear that our credit is threatened. I would be happy to learn that the FTC or some class action suit be brought to the Hearst Corporation as I am certain that thousands of people are simply paying because they believe there is a threat to their credit and the amount is only $15-$20 to "settle" the "obligation" stated by the Vice President of the company.

I just called the Hearst Corporation and let them know what I wrote above. I asked if we could resolve this over the phone or if I need to find someone else to help us resolve this. The person on the phone said we would no longer get any more letters from Hearst Corporation of this kind unless they are already in the mail.

The phone number is: [protected] - the auto attendant answers as Country Living but they had a list of all of the Hearst Magazines that are tied to our address and the letters that are going out. The person I spoke with was very polite and removed us from the list (at least that's what she said).

I hope this helps those who have encountered the same problem.

• P
      Aug 20, 2009

Kind of a snotty letter I received from Hurst Corporation. It suggest that I am dishonest. I did not order any magazine!

Philip Woolman

• C
      Jan 18, 2010

Receiving the same letters as above and I'm in Vancouver, British Columbia. Appears that this company is merely sending out bills to anyone they get on their contact list. I enter contests from time to time on legitimate websites however, I'm thinking this is how they got a hold of my information. This company is likely making thousands of dollars y on yours and my Grandparents or the elderly in general. The older generations are always victims to this and they will pay the bill just to make it go away or suffer a heart attack worrying about it.

This company should have a class action lawsuit put against them. They better not even think about touching my credit or they'll have another thing coming. When I get enough letters from them I think I will place them in a large envelope and mail them back along with some Monopoly money. This was written on January 17th, 2010.

Apr 09, 2010

I too have been scamed by the Hearst corp. for the third time. I received an invoice for a Redbook subscription that I did not order. It is a "rate adjustment" invoice. If I don't pay $5.99 now I'll have to pay $42.00 after 4/30/10. I too enter contests and the first two times I was scamed I thought maybe I'd failed to read something in the rules and paid for the magazines after getting a letter from a collection agency. But since then I have been reading the rules carefully and know that I did not subscribe to Redbook. I've filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau online and when I get the letter from the collection agency this time I'll send them the Better Business Bureau's Case number.

Apr 09, 2010

I need to add that when I was billed for the first two magazines I did write Hearst and explain what I thought had happened and told them that I did not want the magazine -only to receive another bill from them!

• K
      Oct 17, 2010

If you didn't order these magazines, you are under NO obligation to do anything! If you didn't give them payment authorization, they can send magazines forever but you do not have to pay them. Their tactics are disgraceful, and you will never be able to contact them. If you do subscribe and you do not renew when they want you to, you will get an aggressive collection-sounding letter from the idiot G.L. Valk, who I assume is fictional. Ignore them!

If you don't believe me, contact your state's Consumer Protection Agency and they will tell you there is no obligation on your part for the dishonest tactics of a magazine marketing company.

• M
      Feb 26, 2011
    The Hearst Corporation - Invoice Order
    The Oprah Magazine
    Kentucky

My daughter is 13 years old and recieved an invoice from this company saying she owes $19.08 for The O magazine that she nevered ordered. I cannot get in touch with anyone to take care of this matter and I will not pay it since she didn't order it.

• T
      Dec 26, 2013

I just received a billing from them at P.O. Box 6093, Harlan, IA 51593 for O Magazine which I didn't order. No phone # on bill and no account # included either. Weird. After much searching, I found this phone # for Customer Service [protected], called and spoke to a customer service rep (on the automated part of the call, I told them what magazine and then when it asked what service I wanted: renewal, etc., I said Customer Service and got a real person). The rep said she cancelled the "subscription" and told me to disregard the billing. Hope this helps someone.

• C
      Sep 12, 2014

I am receiving the same invoices in the past few weeks. It is from P.O. Box 5474, Harlan, IA 51593. The guy who signed the letter is "Richard York". Today I received another letter that said:
    "Our legal department has advised us that your name will go into our bad debt file unless we receive your payment immediately.
    Please send payment now to reinstate your subscription and credit standing with Forbes. If you are withholding payment for any reason, please notify us at the address above."
    Why this society is so powerless to deal with such skunk????

• R
      Jun 26, 2015

I have been receiving the same letters - the third just arrived!!! I had a subscription for a year and decided not to renew but they keep sending letters saying that they will send to collections. I know there is nothing legal here - it is simple: you pay for a year subscription and then you start receiving the magazine. You don't pay for the subsequent year they stop right where you have already paid for. Simple. But they seemed so desperate that they use any legal term to scare you. I finally found the ph # for Country Living [protected] (Say CUSTOMER SERVICE). I talked to the customer service and they said that when I did the first year subscription there was a condition stating that the subscription would be renew automatically. I asked if that was a joke and he said no. I told them to sop harassing because otherwise I would start doing the same. He said that the subscription was going to be cancelled (when there is nothing to be cancelled. really). Again you pay and then you get the magazines on the mail. So annoying!!!

• S
      May 02, 2016

I have had the same problem. It is becoming ridiculous. i receive magazines I never ordered, duplicate copies of one I did and harassment regarding payment. This calls for class action suit!

• S
      May 02, 2016

I have had the same problem. i receive magazines I never ordered, duplicate copies of one I did and have been harassed regarding payment, with bills coming just about every week. The is ridiculous and there should be a class action suit.

• T
      Sep 27, 2016

I am having this same problem. Please STOP sending me these Magazine that I didn't order!! Any Magazine that I have ever order I always pay for it up front!! I have order from Oprah Magazines in the past but I always have paid up front! Now I'm getting bills from Oprah Magazines that I did not order and I would like for you all to stop!! PEOPLE Magazine is also sending me bills and I have never order or brought a People Magazine and the bills are coming in Spanish! I would also like for these magazine to stop!! You can't continue to swindle people out of their money! I would like to know one thing before I close. Can These People Be Sued For Messing Up Your Credit!! Thank You Ms. Scott in Louisville, Kentucky.

• D
      Mar 13, 2017

Hi,
    I am receiving invoice for me to pay for a subscription for magazines I did not order or intend to order and want answers for I will not pay for something I did not order nor do I want so who is doing something about this? How ever I am sending back invoice stating I did not order this and had better stop with comment reporting them to BBB. If and when someone does get this resolved, please post so that we victims are aware of any actions taken.
    Miss Logan of Rock Hill SC

Apr 17, 2018

I have also received the same and found the corporate office telephone number [protected] online and called them. They gave me the number to call and cancel [protected]. They claimed they will take care of the bill and cancel. We will see.

• V
      Apr 10, 2019

I have been having the same problem and I just got off the phone with a customer service agent for Country Life Magazine. This company continues with its unscrupulous practices perhaps because it has not yet been sued.

Three or four months ago, out of the blue I received an issue of O Magazine followed by an invoice for $15 a month or so later. I ignored both as I did not nor have I ever ordered magazines online. I put the magazine in a drawer and forgot about it, I would have returned it but there was no company return address information. The invoice also did not include a customer service telephone number or address just a website address for payments...alarm bells went off in my head.

A few weeks ago, I received letter with the words "FINAL NOTICE" printed on it. The letter contained an invoice also titled "Final Notice" with a billing date of 6 March 2019 for the amount of $15 for 13 issues of O Magazine. Whaat???!! I don't have time for this! Under the billing information is a final notice note which reads, "This is the last time you will receive an invoice about your UNPAID BALANCE." I'd had enough at this point, so I called [protected] (Thank you Rover for posting this telephone number).

The automated greeting message stated that the number is for Country Life Magazine (possibly a tactic to throw people off). When prompted, I entered the account number included on my invoice and shortly afterwards a customer service representative (she didn't give a name) came on the line. She asked me for my first and last name and zip code after which she stated that she could see from her records that I had a subscription for O Magazine. Before she went any further, I told her that I did not sign up for any such subscription. She immediately stated that she would void the bill and cancel any future issues being sent to me and then she tried to sell me subscriptions to other magazines! Really??!. I politely refused and that was the end of the conversation. Time will tell if the bill was truly voided.