Complaints & Reviews

harassed minor that never wanted the book

I received a book in 2008 that I did not order. I had tried contacting the company to return it, they told me I had to pay for the shipping, I refused because I never placed an order with them or agreed to purchase anything. I was a minor at this time. I was only 16 when this all started. I am sure this was because of my subscription to prevention magazine. I was harassed by constant collection letters. Now that I am 18 they had a collection agency called takhar collections start calling my house daily telling me I will never be able to buy a house or a car, they will call my family, they will call me everyday until I pay & charge me late fees. They were horrible & rude & didnt care that I never ordered the book & was a minor at the time. I also contacted rodale book and the said they couldnt do nothing about it. This company is a scam that harassed a minor.. I paid the $54.94, because they wouldn't leave me alone. I just wanted to let others know what # rodale books & takhar collections both are.

early warning notice scam

I received an early warning notice from rodale credit dept indicating that I had not paid my men's health subscription. It said that I had to pay the bill before it goes any further. It was signed by a collections manager. The phone number on the bill was not active from a land line and when I tried to call the number from my cell it sent me a text message telling me that I had to pay $9.95 to access the number. I googled men's health and found the customer service for rodale. I told the customer service rep that I received a bill for I subscription that I did not agree to. At first the customer service rep could not locate my account info and when I told her I think there is scam going on she was then able to find my account info and close the bill!

I will no longer subscribe to any magazine through rodale and will be sending a compliant to men's health of the shady business that they are associate with. Be careful and don't pay... It's a scam

• Wi
    win1963 Aug 19, 2016

I cancel this mag. Mens health twice and they keep taking funds out of my account. I told them i don't read them and cancel them. So please stop the tranaction or i will take it to the next leveler. Thank you.

never ordered book

Just received book in the mail that I did not order. Invoice for $39.94 to pay by 3/18/10. Called customer...

automatically subsribed me

I was checking out new contests and sweepstakes one day and when i had clicked on one to register for, i did not know i was
automatically signed up for a subcription to redbook magazine and have received a bill in the mail along with the magazine. I have unsubscribed to this today, and i have received another notification that i have subscribed to the seventeen magazine.. this is not appropriate.

subscription fraud

The Good Housekeeping Magazine web site posts several sweepstakes offers (contests). To enter, you type your name, postal address, & email address onto a form. Presto! You're just subscribed to Good Housekeeping. Even if you select an Unsubscribe link, invoices start coming. This is fraud. I no longer trust Good Housekeeping - & they pretend to be consumer advocates. Ha! Not true.

• Lu
    luckyducky Feb 08, 2010

same thing just happened to me.. I told them not to send them and they did anyway with a bill. They never reply either.
    Should i return to sender ?

• Ri
    Richiek Jul 19, 2010

This happened to me yesterday... & I don't ever read magazines. I'm trying to cancel it even though I did not mean to order them. I feel like they tricked me.

• Ej
    ejsindy Nov 03, 2010

Happened to me too, I only subscribed to a sweepstakes & never agreed or wanted a subsciption to Good Housekeeping! Now I received a letter from Sunrise Credit Services, a collection agency! I am outraged!!! They should be sued! What crooks!!!

• Pa
    pastrychef512 Dec 08, 2010

• Lu
    luckyducky Sep 01, 2012

Shawn ott is a scammer ..
    He took our money for parts he never bought, ripped our boat apart and stole our boat seats. Boat sat there for weeks never being worked on.
    Wouldnt answer our calls or the door.
    Had to get the police to get our boat back.
    They know this is happening but would do nothing about it...
    Where's the justice !

mazgines

I told them in that 30 day's? I didn't want it. But they said o? Just give it a try! You might like the...

no contact info to cancel auto ship!

I ordered a book from Rodale a couple months ago, being informed I could cancel at any time...what they don't tell you is that they never send along any contact info or instructions on how to cancel your auto ship! No phone number, no email address, no website! So now, I'm chasing this company around, trying to cancel an auto ship I don't want to be stuck with anymore!

unauthorized billing

I received a letter from Hearst Magazines basically threatening my perfect credit rating by accusing me of...

billing for subscription I did not order

Keep receiving an invoice for a subscription to Good Housekeeping that I DID NOT order. No phone number. No...

cancellation of subscription

I decided I no longer wanted prevention magazine, so I did not renew and pay my new bill. They sent me a letter that because I did not pay they would cancel my subscription. Should be end of story...but no.

They sent my account to a collection agency to force me to pay! apparently with this company you cannot opt out of a subscription. They will extort the money out of you.

cancel &o& magazine and others

My wife just got her first "O" magazine delivered with a bill for $19.95. Of course, she like most all of you I imagine thought she was just getting a free magazine. I did a google search and came up with the Des Moines, Iowa company that handles (allegedly) screwing people into subscriptions they don't want! LOL! Just call this Iowa number (sorry, it's not toll free, so your screwed again! : ) Just call [protected] ask to speak to Connie in customer service, or any customer service person for that matter. I explained that my wife thought she was getting a free magazine and did NOT want a subscription. The lady was very nice and asked for my zip and last name. She then told me my wifes name and our address. She said to just keep the one magazine, and she would send me out a confirmation by mail of the cancellation. She further said to just disregard the bill. Sounds like maybe enough people complained where they are at least following up with people that are lucky enough to find their number! Keep on complaining. It's the squeaky wheel that get's the oil!

magazines I did not order

Like many others I have been getting billed for multiple magazines that I did not order and can not contact Hearst Corporation because they leave no phone number on the billing statement. I never ordered these magazines and consider this a case of ID theft and mail fraud. The Hearst corp. should stop support or practicing in these techniques and allow victims to cancel subscriptions by providing a phone number for call in compliances and cancellations

fraudulent renewals

I got a letter from Hearst Magainzes entitled "Important Notice" Saying: "We extended you the privilege...

&invoice for subscription&

I just read another complaint that is exactly the same as mine - The extent that this company would go to in order to shame me into sending money for a subscription that I did not order is disgusting. The notice states, "We extended you the privilege of paying later for your subscription. By entering into this agreement we anticipated that you would remit a payment when billed. ... We must now insist that you send us your payment immediately." Of course there is no phone number to call. The invoice lists my account number as [protected]. I want these notices stopped immediately.

• 1o
    1organicfarm Jul 28, 2012

Same thing happened to me
    I wish I knew how to successfully resolve this issue

past due notices

Recieved a letter from Hearst Magazines today stating that I did not send in payment when I indicated on a...

billed for books that delivery was refused/returned

I ordered a couple of books but by the time they were shipped, I had already purchased elsewhere. So, I refused the delivery and left books with postal carrier. Months later I am still being billed. Rodale refuses to research issue or update my acct. I am now receiving collection agency bills for this. I wish I would have googled the lawsuits that Rodale has faced for similar issues...

no phone number on my bill

I am trying to pay a bill for O the Oprah Magazine through internet banking. You have not listed your phone number is Red Oak on the statement so I cannot complete the information required by my bank.
Could you send me your telephone number??

• Fr
    Frustrated Puppy Dec 20, 2010

This is true. The Hearst Corporation has no telephone number to call when you want to stop your subscription. I sent a note to their office in Iowa regarding not renewing my subscription, but they still keep sending me their magazine (Country Living). If you go to their website, there is only one telephone number, and it is not for subscriptions. I clicked on "Magazines" on their website menu, it only gave me the list of magazines and subscription menu.
    This company is ripping off people by ignoring their complaints. Once you order a magazine (which I bought from school fundraiser for one year), you can't stop it. I travel a lot and have no time reading magazines which just pile up in my living room.

Antonia Araujo Jan 14, 2011

May name is Antonia Araujo, account # opro927419184/8# I have been trying to tell the Oprah, Hearst Corporation that I already paid my subscription to the Oprah magazine. I have send them two letters stating I have paid my subscription. I still keep getting bills. I have twice mailed you a copy of my check and you have cashed it. The number of the ck. is 605. The amount of the ck is 19.97. The date of the check is 10-21-2010. It's been difficult trying to get in touch with your magazine. Please correct this soon. I try to get online but the response is always " we can't find your account." At least send me a phone number so I can talk to a real person! Please respond by email. That you do have correct. Thank you. Will be waiting for your response.

abc affiliates stopped showing power rangers

ABC affilliates that are affilliated with Hearst Television don't show Power Rangers Saturday Morning...

subscription &bills&

I received a pretty threatening letter from G.L. Vaulk, whoever that is...

"Dear Subscriber:

"When you ordered your subscription with the convenience of being billed later, we fully believed you would send payment upon receipt of your invoice. Since we have no record of your payment at this time, your good standing with us is at risk."

It goes on to tell me that I can send them money and we'll be best friends again (in other words).

Well, Ms./Mr. Vaulk, explain this for me:

Let's say that you're right and I said that I wanted to be billed later and I received an invoice from you now. Wouldn't that mean that I've gotten an issue for this subscription that you're billing me for? Well, then why does my Invoice (Order number [protected]) say that the first issue is SEPTEMBER 2009 for this invoice? That's two months away. This is ludicrous. If I had selected to be billed later, I wouldn't be getting an invoice for the year ahead of me.

I last paid for a 12-month subscription to Cosmopolitan on July 20th, 2008. I've received twelve issues. I just went in and canceled my subscription tonight because of this.

I never selected an option to be billed for anything. I never want to be billed for anything. I pay for everything I can up front.

To get this annoying treatment from a company that's been getting my money for years is ridiculous. I'm unsubscribing my mother from Good Housekeeping and the Food Network Magazine next time I do her books. You will never get another dime from me.

Angry Alyse Jul 23, 2009

Aw, you're just a dumb troll.

If they don't care, then that's their problem. I still think it's wrong how they're sending collection letters on products that haven't even been provided.

• Kc
    KCherry517 Aug 17, 2009

I never renewed my subscription to Cosmo but they kept sending it anyway and now they want me to pay for it. I get letters from the same person you listed above, but never do they provide phone numbers for me to call them to straighten anything out. I have recently started emailing them every day and telling them to call me but they won't call me. Instead they keep emailing me. Today I asked them to remove me from their list and kindly stop harassing me.

As for whether or not they care, believe me, they care when people start canceling orders. Why else would they try to back people into corners like this by saying they renewed something they haven't renewed? They will be lucky if I don't decide to sue them for harassment before this is over.

oprah mag - scam

Hearst Magazine SCAM, had clicked on a info type promo ad, when a pop up asked me what type of payment did I want to use to purchase O Mag, I backed out of the AD and then later recieved an email stating I would be billed 18$ for the mags, , , , , NO NUMBER TO CONTACT TO FIX THIS, AND WOULD NOT LET ME REPLY TO THE EMAIL, NOT EVEN ON OPRAH.COM, I will not pay for something I did NOT order, and after finding this website, , , , I hope I do get a bill from those LOOSERS, , , , , ,

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices