Straight Talkpoor service, cheap phones

U

Straight Talk cell phones at Wal-Mart are a waste of money.

My husband wanted a cell phone for the longest time, and got one on his birthday. He was given the 38.88 dollar one, not the cheapest one they have, his sister bought it for him along with the replacement plan. What a mistake.

The first phone was a flip up phone, and the inside screen cracked in less than two weeks. Not the plastic part, but the lcd part. The second phone did the same thing, but on the tiny outside screen. The third phone cracked the lcd screen on the inside. Every time we had to go to Wal-Mart, deal with the gothic witch at the electronics counter, and then spend hours on the phone with straight talk to transfer the number and set up the phone. Not to mention that every time I had to re-enter contacts, set up the browser, and tweak the phone settings to his liking.

The fourth phone my husband got was an upgrade so he wouldn't have to deal with the cheapness of the Motorola that had given us such headaches. I went through the set up process for the fourth time. Only this time when he brought it back from the store it was activated all ready, and had a new phone number - JUST GREAT!

I called straight talk and was told that they would have to send me a new SIM card, and it would take 3-5 days to get it to me so we could keep the same phone number as the original phone. I told the person on the phone that was not acceptable, and she needed to work around it.

She assured me that she could and de-activated the phone in order to do so. I was on the phone with her for two hours programming codes by hand and being put on hold while she did the same at her end. At the end of the process she told me the phone would be up and working in an hour, and to turn it off and on to test it. The phone came back on after 24 hours (not the hour she said), but with the same phone number.

The next day I spent two and a half hours on the phone doing the same thing with another tech, a guy this time, who assured me the same thing. After hours on hold, programming codes, and begging for more talk time on the phone to compensate us for the inconvenience, he gave us 200 minutes, and assured me everything was fine.

Again, it was not. It took 24 hours again, with the same result except now the internal information on the phone stated that the phone number had in fact changed, while the caller id stated otherwise, and I had to use the new number to reach the cell phone. Meanwhile, the phone number that I wanted to keep told callers that the voicemail had not been set up.

Today I asked for a supervisor right from the start, and Mary Jo assured me she was a supervisor, and that she would be able to help me. I spent two hours and 45 minutes on the phone with Mary Jo-employee number 48846.

I spent the next couple of hours programming codes into the phone AGAIN and being put on hold AGAIN with her breaking in every three minutes telling me to bear with me, all the while my temper going higher and higher.

At the end of the long and tedious process she informed me that she had to call the carrier, and that they weren't answering her call. I told her to put me on hold and take care of the situation. She came back every three minutes again until I felt like pulling my hair out when she said please bear with me time and time again. Every time she asked me if I was still on the line, like I should have answered a question when she never asked me one. Please bear with me doesn't require an answer, if she had said can you please bear with me, I would have said yes. I was ready to scream at her by the end of it. I was able to hold on though, thinking that we would have a satisfactory result at the end.

In the end, she told me that she would indeed have to send me a new SIM card, and I was infuriated! If the first person had gone ahead and done that, I would probably all ready have the card, and wouldn't have wasted days and hours trying to fix the phone. I told her that Straight Talk was going to compensate us with something, and she came back after putting me on hold yet again to tell me she could give me five days on my service days. What a crock! I told her to put me on hold and get me more than that because we would have been waiting for 8 days by the time the SIM card got here, not to mention the time I had wasted on the phone over the last couple of weeks. She came back and told me she could give me 10 days. I told her that was REALLY GENEROUS of Straight Talk.

Now, I was at my wits end from the beginning, and the end result of my hours of work, and my patience was that I would have to wait to have the number I wanted, and they were barely making up for it with the 10 days. Unbelievable!

As I told Mary Jo, my husband is a talk show radio host in Fayetteville, and he has people calling his phone all the time to set up interviews, and appearances on his show. I am talking about editors of sports journals, other talk show hosts local and national ones even one from Canada, athletic directors, coaches, and a couple of people who are on ESPN national T.V. It is not professional and has become impossible for him to keep in contact with these people because the telephone number that he has given them says that the voicemail is not set up.

I can't believe the position that Straight Talk has put us in, the time and effort it has taken just to keep a simple phone number. The cheapness of the phones they sell at Wal-Mart, and the ignorance, and incompetence of their staff from the simple technicians all the way up to the supervisors.

I am appalled by the lack of knowledge that has caused the delay in sending a new SIM card, I am frustrated by the time it has taken out of my personal schedule, as well as the professional implications my husband has to deal with because of the inconvenience Straight Talk has imposed on us. Why he continues to use Straight Talk is beyond me. He refuses to discuss it on the radio show even though it would probably cause a boycott of their products in the Fayetteville area, refuses to put it on Twitter and Facebook. I suppose he is thinking it is unprofessional of him to do so, but I would think it would be a public service. So, I am going to do it for him. Even if I have to call every talk show in the nation, everyone everywhere will hear of this incompetence, ignorance and inconvenience put upon us by Straight Talk.

As my husbands passion and talent is being on the radio with his words spoken to a loyal and adoring audience, my talent is my written word read by everyone I know, everyone they know, and every outlet I can find.

Straight Talk will hear my story not only from me, but from every possible facet available to the common consumer.

Thank you for your time, as I have given Straight Talk plenty of my valuable time, and expect them to do the same for me to make this right.

With hate in my heart, and malice in my eyes,

Andrea