Sprintoverbilling

This is sort of long but bear with me, its worth reading….pass this on to everyone you know, even if they aren’t sprint customers, this may keep them from making a fatal mistake! Dealing with SPRINT and constantly being overbilled is bad enough then you are FORCED to call Customer service and that is a complete waste of air!!! I honestly believe they are trained to lie, be condescending, rude and get us so frustrated we will just go away. Well, this customer is FED UP with getting screwed.

On September 1st, 2009 @ 9:00 a.m. I went onto the sprint website to view my bill..something I rarely do, usually I just pay what comes in the mail. Anyway my Sept. bill had posted that morning but I had not received it via US mail yet. When I saw what Sprint said I owed, I almost threw up!!! They had billed me for going over my 3000 minutes in the tune of $395.00. I then placed a call to Sprint Customer Service. So begins the games they play!!! The CSR and I were discussing the overages while I was waiting on the details of the overages page to load (dial-up). Now mind you I was bum fuzzled at the overages and just believed we must have talked an awful lot in August…when the page loaded and I was able to SEE the calls they were saying were over my minutes I had to do a double take…it goes something like this…call to 903-288-**** 27 minutes OV..billed @ $$. Well that is MY CELL PHONE NUMBER!!! So I chuckled and told the CSR that there must be a problem, that theses calls were to our voice mail or to each other, I have 4 lines, mine, my husband, and 2 sons!! There were also several calls that said UNAVIALABLE INCOMING, so you know Sprint is going to go for the juggler and get you there. Well, the CSR pretending to be shocked said. “Now WE have no way of knowing what the unavailable calls were, ( ya know since they were UNAVIALABLE.) But I continued to say that most of these numbers we are being charged for were “OUR” numbers. She finally agreed and stated “Well, you are right Mrs. S, hold on please.” So begins the wait and see if I will hang up game..they don’t even have music to let you know when they actually hang up on you. Eventually she came back on the line and said she had spoken to her FLOOR SUPERVISOR, (hmmmm that’s a joke, probably the FLOOR WAXER) and they would look into it and CALL ME BACK, but in the mean time just pay what I would normally pay without the overages when my bill came due on the 18th of September. We ended the call and I am sure she thought I was satisfied with that lie, but NOT ME. (call ended @ 9:45a.m.)
I decided to look at my entire bill vs just the overages and what I saw made me decide that SPRINT must think we are all stupid. You are able to download each phone lines individual call log, and it downloads into an excel format..lucky for me, but unlucky for Sprint, I am a whiz at Excel. So here is what I did…first I downloaded my phones history and saved it into my Excel program on my computer. I sorted the bill by RATE (this is where it says MM, NW) then I took those calls out, since with those codes you are not being charged. Then I sorted by phone number and OVER AND OVER AND OVER, they were charging me for SPRINT TO SPRINT calls, even calling our own Voice Mail from our cell phones. Then I copied and pasted the UNAVIALABLE INCOMING onto another spreadsheet, along with my calls to my husband and his to me…I told it to sort by time and date and low and behold it went like this….(AM/PU means you are being charged by the way and AM/MM means you are not being charged)
After sorting, the call history it now looks like this:

(husbands#) August 27 @ 9:00 a.m. UNAVIALBLE INCOMING 45min AM/PU
(my # ) August 27 @ 9:00 a.m. Called to (903-275-husaband) 45 min AM/MM

Get the picture…they were charging him for me calling him from MY CELL TO HIS.
I found over 1000 minutes they had charged me for sprint to sprint calls!!! Just on that September Bill.
Now if I can sort this out, explain to me why their computer that uses an Excel format can’t?? Well, it can, it just doesn’t so we will forever go over our minutes.
Our bills are long and this did take me some time to do this but it was well worth it.

September 2, 2009 @10:00 am I called Sprints Crooked Service Reps and drew the lucky card to be able to speak to Tamesha. After explaining what I had found she replied “Well, your phone was roaming when you were calling other sprint phones” OK, but I have a no roaming charges on my plan, which I explained to her. She went on to say that I wasn’t being charged roaming charges..then I said but it IS eating up my minutes so technically I AM BEING CHARGED. She said every cell phone company does that and I said well if you lived in a colony of child molesters, it doesn’t make it right to BE ONE!!! I told her that their crappy phones ROAM ALL THE TIME. Then she said I needed to turn off the roaming on my phone. Knowing what would happen I said, OK..and turned it off. Then I said “Know what my phone says now?? NO SERVICE AVAILABLE!!!” I told her that I was sitting in my living room at the same service address I had when I signed up with them some 6 + years ago and was told at the time that this area was IN SPRINTS NETWORK. So, it was their fault that this phone is always roaming. This argument continued for some time before she finally said that she would let me speak to her FLOOR SUPERVISOR. I didn’t get his name because the minute he tried to convince me that the charges were right I explained that he was an idiot if he thought I was going to buy this line of bull. He then transferred me to Tara, the Senior Resource Specialist (I swear they make this up as they go along) She conferred with the first two that the charges were indeed right which I still was unwilling to accept. Next came Beverly (Escalation Specialist) After explaining the entire scenario for the 4th time I simply told her that I had caught them red handed and that I wanted out of my contract..(that must be the key word for them to get even ruder than they were) She had me to hold again and when she came back on the line she said “We are unable to let you out of your contract due to there hasn’t been an issue until now” At this point I was no longer talking, I was yelling and I said “That’s because I JUST CAUGHT YOU”..she also said she was going to put me through to Tech Support (I have to be honest, this threw me off) she said IF TECH SUPPORT COULD DETERMINE THAT THIS PHONE WAS ROAMING THEY WOULD LET ME OUT OF MY CONTRACT….ok..lets reflect a moment AM I CRAZY or was it sprints excuse that being charged mobile to mobile was because I was roaming?????????? So comes Jennifer…she tells me that I had been misinformed by the first 4 or 5 people and that I don’t pay for roaming…yeah I had told them that!! She credited my account for the overages and apologized repeatedly. BUT I informed her that while I had been on the phone with them for now 2 ½ hours I had began to remember something…back in April 09 I received a huge bill full of overages of my then 2100 minutes, so out of panic I called Sprint…being naïve and never thinking it could be them I fell into this trap..(My contract had expired..lucky me, so I was no longer forced to deal with them if they p…me off) The CSR dude told me that since I had been such a valuable customer they would waive (it really doesn’t mean what we think it means, it just means they will stick them in somewhere else) the charges IF…(careful) I would re-sign a new 2 year agreement and they would throw in a plan with 3000 minutes. Mind you I did not upgrade phones or get any thing for free, they got me…But out of stupidity I said OK. So after having this come to mind I told ole Jennifer that I was not satisfied and that I was going to pull that bill from April and if I found that those overages were a result of calling sprint to sprint then I would be calling back and I would speak to the CEO of Sprint if necessary.
Immediately after hanging up I accessed my April bill via Sprints website and had to download it into adobe reader (it appears that you can only download previous 4 months into Excel) Well since you can’t download an adobe file into excel I wasn’t sure how to decipher this 40+ pages of charges..but I was determined and so I just saved it to word and started going line by line and every time I found a sprint to sprint charge I changed the line to red…after many hours I was finished….In April they overbilled me by 800+ minutes which threw me into going over my 2100 minute plan. This is their deceptive way of gouging their customers. Deciding it was futile to call them back I just took matters into my own hands by writing to the Better Business Bureau, Texas Attorney General Gregg Abbott, FCC, Consumer Affairs and every other place I could find. I even put it on a Complaint Forum Blog, (first time for me to blog anything) I am determined to get the word out. So please help spread the word..if we don’t band together we will forever take a screwing from the BIG BAD CORP WORLD..but remember if not for us, the customer, they would not even be in business. So never think we cant win…WE CAN.

PS Consumer Affairs emailed me and said my complaint had been chosen to be published so other consumers would beware!!
Me 1 – Sprint 0

• Xe
    XenoMiang Sep 09, 2009

You shouldv'e went to a store instead of calling customer service. I have worked for Sprint in the past and we tried to do whatever we could in the store so the customers wouldn't have to call customer service. I've called numerous times on a customer's behalf to try and get things worked out so the customer wouldn't have to go through the nightmare that is calling customer service, but then again we did have a very high satisfactory rate for our store and I don't know if other stores practice what we did.

Anyways, I'm glad I don't work in the cellular industry anymore because you really get to see how awful business practices are sometimes and how badly people will treat you to get what they want (not talking about you since your reason is valid) but there are people willing to go great lengths to get free phones or discounted plans and credits.

Granted I still have Sprint as my provider due to my grandfathered plan, I don't know If I''d still be with them not having that because I know there are companies out there with better over the phone customer service.