Spirit Airlinesflight cancellation

R

My wife had a scheduled departure flight from Santo Domingo on January 15th, and the flight was cancelled due to bad weather in South Florida. If that wasn't bad enough, Spirit had a plane full of customers that now didn't have a flight or way out of the Dominican Republic, and Spirit wasn't very clear on how they would resolve this issue. After being stranded at the airport for several hours, they were told they could ask for a refund, or cancel the trip, but Spirit did not automatically schedule their flight. I called Spirit from Miami the same evening, and was told the next flight would be Saturday 23 January, a full week after the original flight. My question is why would Spirit cancel a flight, and not schedule continuing transportation to their destination. I spoke with customer service, and they told me our only options were to take the later flight, get the refund which would take up to 7 days, or get Spirit credit for another flight. This was the most ridiculous logic and poor customer service I have ever heard of. Spirit is officially the absolute worse airline I have ever had the displeasure to use.

• La
    LadyScot Feb 20, 2016

Happens with every airline during bad weather. It is not that they do not care. It is that they cannot magically make the weather better or make another plane appear from the sky. Personally I would rather my plane not fall out of the sky due to a bad storm.

• Sc
    schimeck Jan 22, 2016

I had the exact same situation happen when they cancelled my flight home from New York City. They treated it like it wa snot their problem. They di dnot careif it took days for me to get home. You have a fully booked flight cancelled and nothing is done to see you get home. They even lied to me about how much my refund would be. I reported them to the BBB after several complaint emails, and they did not even respond to the BBB.