Specsaversprices are deceptive, specsavers is fraud

The prices as advertised are overly deceptive. A £85 frame and lens will end up costing you £200 -£250 because the original lens that comes with the frame is as thick as a glass bottle and by the way it wont fit into the frame. You will have to get the thin version of the frame which will cost you £150 with the £85 frame, all adding up to £235. To add insult to injury they will be offering you a second pair for free. Yes right .. that will cost you an additional £60 -£100. What a fake. This will be my last time with specsavers. Bloody cheats

• Je
    Jessicarachaelann Aug 16, 2009

Er, are you thick??? If you have a high prescription then yes, your lens will be thick! If you have a prescription plus or minus 3 or below then you don't need thinned down lenses, if you are above that your lens will be thicker. That wouldn't take a brain surgeon to work that out!!

• Bi
    bindynquay Sep 02, 2009

They are idiots! my eye sight is poor. They put a lense in that was too big and stretched to the point of popping out of frame.(hello you are advised which lenses suit eye test results! I went in and they said "curved lense normal" as a week passed they stretched so bad made a smear in middle of lense!! prior to the curved lense incident went to another Spec savers and they said "too big needs shaving have you got 10mins etc" so far so good. Then the smear inside lense got so bad so went back they sent of glasses as in warranty had them 3 months agreeing a problem told urgent! I have rang twice and they chasing up lab, been in and promised a phonecall...too no avail. so angry as wearing old specs poor perscription, taking paracetolol because headaches straining eyes. Need I go on blah blah 3 weeks tomorrow still NO CALL! I will be taking this further. Paid alot of money for these designer glasses. Feel that if they call dont want them now. Money down the drain I know..but will they ever call how much begging can a girl do for a simple repair job. Eyes are very important, they are the worst I have ever experienced. Taking this further!

• Je
    Jessicarachaelann Sep 15, 2009

first of all, lenses don't 'stretch' they are cut out of what we call a 'blanc' which is a very large lens. your lenses for your glasses are cut from the centre of the 'blanc' and glazed to fit the frame. With high prescriptions it is harder for them to stay in the frame because they are more curved and a lot thicker. That is why you should pay to have them thinned down. When they are thinned down this doesn't meen they are cut 'smaller', it means the 'blanc' is a lot 'flatter' and 'denser' so that the prescription is still correct, but the appearance is much thinner and cosmetically they look a lot nicer. It's not specsavers fault that you have ### eye site and have to pay for high index lenses (High index means thinner lenses incase you don't understand optics terms'

as for the 'smear' thing? it sounds like the ultraclear treatment broke down on your lens which is very unfortunate and hardly ever happens so just unlucky i guess. But this could happen anywhere, vision express, optical express. it sometimes just happens and it can't really be explained why but Specsavers in my experience put this right by re-ordering your lenses asap. what more can you ask? High prescription lenses do take longer to order in than just standard lenses.

so basically, you're going crazy because the ultraclear coating broke down? they got the lens right within ten minutes of it coming out. Don't you think your over-reacting. Basic-Human error does occur in businesses to everyone! bet you don't get everything right first time every day at your work hmm??

I LOVE SPECSAVERS!!!

• Ct
    ctigerpose Mar 05, 2011

Well my eyesight is -2.5 and the glasses i received had lenses like jamjars. compare these to the exact same prescription from a few years earlier and my lenses were on a quarter of the thickness, i was told £40 to thin the lens in my designer frame (and also an additional £40 to for my "free" pair) Sounds like a con to me!!

• De
    delco Nov 04, 2011

Looks like some specsavers con's joint the conversation. Their advertising should be banned. You don't need good eyesight to see they rip you off, just need to visit them once. >300 is what I had to pay! My advice: return those specs!

• Wo
    Worf Dec 12, 2013

Jessicarachaelann I think you're response is helpful but the tone is wrong.
    The point about specsavers is that they are expensive, when you add on what you actually need.
    They advertise the 2 for 1 offers, but these are the cheap and cheerful end of the market.
    I have had high index (ultra thin, which is their thinnest) and the resulting lense was thick as a kangaroos kaboodle.
    They use Pentax lenses which are the cheap version. The best are Seiko and they cost more. But I paid £250 for a single pair and I know I could buy them cheaper online. But the problem with online is that they can't do the measurements, which means the resulting lense is out of focus and parhaps could even damage your eye sight further.

Jaime Bezerra Jan 06, 2015

I just had to pay over 200 for thinking I was going to pay much less because of extras !! Last time I buy glasses at Specsavers !!

• Th
    Thobile Maphanga May 18, 2016

Beginning of April I went to Specsavers Eastgate for a new pair of glasses. I then paid about R 1800 on April 20 and asked for the difference to be recovered from my medical aid. The consultant there decided without my consent to clean out my medical aid savings. My medical aid paid never the less. I called them because it meant they had more money than they should and the accounts lady promised to sort it out. To date it still hasn't been sorted out.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices