Shoppers Drug Mart / unethical customer service

1 1555 Regent Ave W. Winnipeg MB, Canada Review updated:

Feb 20/19 my 13 yr old daughter came home from shopping in the Regent Ave location and was crying her eyes out, when she calmed down I was able to ascertain that her and her two friends had been accused of shoplifting as they were leaving the checkout area after paying for their purchase. The girls were approached by a very angry associate who yelled at them at the front of store claiming that she had caught them several times stealing and they were to never come into that location again, I repeat again, they were leaving the store after making a purchase. My daughter informed the associate that they did not take anything and noted that the associate had a bronzer in her hand that the girls were thinking to buy but changed their minds and left the item on a self. I asked my daughter to describe what they did in the store, my daughter said they were in the makeup section looking at products, selected a bronzer and then went to the facewash section, when in the facewash section they decided not to purchase the bronzer left it on the shelf in the facewash section and proceeded to checkout. I then called the location to speak to the manager on duty and ask for more information on the situation, Cheryl the supervisor on duty was forthcoming in her information and stated that she saw three teenage girls spending too much time in one aisle and that was a red flag, that she saw them take the product to another aise put it down and take another item to check out. I have been a retail manger for 23 years and am fully aware of proper procedures in dealing with shoplifting and the damage of false accusatory statements. I asked Cheryl at what point did she see the girls attempt to conceal the merchandise, to which she had no response, I asked at what point did the girls attempt to leave the location without paying, to which there was no response. I then asked then how is this shoplifting, to which Cheryl informed me that is "protocol" when a customer moves an item from one aisle to another it is considered shoplifting, that is certainly not the legal definition of shoplifting and absolutely not even close to enough evidence to out right accuse someone and kick them out of a store after making a purchase. I am disgusted at the behavior and attitude of Cheryl, your company representative in this matter, it appears very clearly that these girls were profiled and targeted. I have come to conclude that this store would rather not have young shoppers in their store and I will definitely ensure that myself and my three daughters will no longer be stepping foot in any of your locations. I sincerely hope this email does not get ignored and that there is follow up at this location with proper training in Loss Prevention and the damage poor customer service causes.

Ch
Feb 21, 2019

Comments

• Mr
      21st of Feb, 2019

First... this is not an email center. This is an all but anonymous complaints board whereas 95% of the establishments you are complaining about have no idea there's even a problem.

I'm a teacher and I know your child's age as a whole, pretty well. They have a tendency to be a little lax in the good, upstanding citizen department. And I'm not really talking about your daughter, but also her friends. Many times friends do things that your kids don't notice. Just a thought to think about.

I'd go back to the store with your daughter and talk to the manager. Preferably the manager in attendance the day your daughter and her friends were angrily accosted. He or she should have been the one to handle anything that might have happened that day. Especially with minors.

Good luck.