[Resolved] Sears Repair Serviceextremely poor customer service!

P Review updated:

My husband and I have been a sears customer, especially for tools and appliances, for over 20 years. I will never, never, never purchase another item from sears, and it is entirely due to their customer service. we purchased a top-of-the-line high-efficiency (he3t) washer and dryer from sears in 2002. I have been extremely happy with the product, and extremely disappointed with the service. because I spent so much money on the washer and dryer, and because I have a husband and 2 teenage children, one of which plays baseball, I naturally purchased the service agreement because, according to their website, "a protection agreement can provide you with peace of mind by knowing that if a problem occurs with your product, you know whom to call to take care of it right away." in the 7 years that I have owned the washer and dryer, I remarkably have only had an issue that required service 3 different times. the first issue was with the control panel on the dryer right after we bought it. I got a service appointment scheduled within a week, and it was repaired within 2 weeks - hooray!

The next 2 service issues, however, were a complete disaster. my washer stopped running, and it took 7 weeks to get it repaired. of course a part had to be ordered after the first technician came out to determine what was wrong. the technician never showed up for the 2nd appointment to install the part. after 5 phone calls, I managed to get an appointment rescheduled for the next day (saturday). because I had spent all of friday at home waiting, I had to run an errand on saturday morning. I left my 17-year-old daughter and 14-year-old son at home, with my neighbor on stand-by in the event that the tech showed up while we were out. my appointment was canceled after the tech called and simply asked for me and my daughter said that I wasn't home, and there was no one over 18 currently in the house. it took another 8 calls, and a threat to drop the washer in front of the store where we purchased it, to get someone to come back out that day - with no apologies from anyone from sears. my dryer then stopped working the week after christmas this past december. I called on 12/31, and the earliest appointment I could get was almost 3 weeks later - 1/18. of course, the tech did not have the replacement part that was needed, and it took 1 week for the part to arrive. so when I called after the part arrived (as I was instructed to do), I could not get an appointment for another 2-1/2 weeks. no matter how many different people my husband or I spoke with, we could not get an earlier appointment, nor did we ever get an apology.

The appointment was scheduled for 8-12 on a monday. at 11:45, I called customer service to find out when the technician would arrive, and was told that all they could do was send him a message. 1 hour later, with no response, I called back again, but only got the same response. at 1:40, the technician himself called and said he was on his way and would be here in 20 minutes. at 3:45, when he still was not here, I called again, and refused to hang up until I was told when the technicial would arrive. I was finally transferred to the warranty service scheduling department (which, for future reference, you need to ask for first). I was told that he had just arrived at the appointment before me. at 5:45, when the technician still had not arrived, I called again, and was told that he had arrived at the next appointment before me at 4:40!! the technician finally showed up at 6:50 p. m. - now remember I had an appointment for 8-12 in the morning. I was told that I had originally been #6 on the technician's schedule - and one of the calls he had was over an hour away from where he and I both live. according to the technician, all of his appointments were "8-12".

Then, when the tech finally arrived, he informed me that he needed to order another 2 parts!!! although the technician placed an "emergency order", I was told by everyone I could speak to at sears, that they no longer expedite any parts orders. so, the additional parts will take another week to arrive, and the earliest next appointment I can get is two weeks from now. interestingly enough, I was told by both technicians that parts install appointments take priority over initial service calls. sears, however, told me emphatically that this is not true, and I was not able to get an appointment scheduled any earlier than if I was scheduling an initial service call!!!

No one that we have spoken with at sears has apologized. no one is able to authorize an expedited shipment when it was the original technician's fault for not ordering the correct parts. no one is able to schedule an appointment that is convenient for me, or even guarantee that I am first on the list. by the way - don't believe it when they tell you the appointments are scheduled on a first-come-first-served basis - the routing department schedules the technicians appointments each day for the following day. so even if you are the first to schedule an appointment on a given day, you could end up being the last appointment. and "scheduled between 8-12" means absolutely nothing.

So, why did I buy that service contract? oh... because it would "provide me with peace of mind" knowing that my issue would be "taken care of right away". sorry, but my definition of "right away" is much quicker than 8+ weeks. do not rely on sears service. the few dollars you may save on sears appliances is not worth the frustration and anxiety you will experience in the event that you need it repaired.

• Sears's response · Apr 22, 2011

Dear MD Tech,

I saw your comment here and I wanted to reach out and apologize for any inconvenience that we may have caused you. If there is a specific situation that has got you upset we would really like the opportunity to assist you.
    My name is Misty with Sears Cares and we would like to get you in touch with a personal case manager to resolve any concerns that you have. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at [email protected] so you don’t have to continue to be frustrated by this. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the item (s) were originally purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we’ll call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (MD Tech) listed on your site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Misty H.

• Sears's response · Jul 22, 2011

To Lou Goddard,

I'm so sorry that you are having an issue getting repair for your air conditioner. We consider air conditioner repairs, especially in a heat wave, high priority and we'd like to help resolve this issue as soon as possible. My name is James and I am part of the Social Media Support Escalations team at Sears and we value you as a Sears customer. At your convenience, please contact our office at [email protected]rshc.com. Please send us an email providing a contact phone number and the phone number the service was scheduled under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email please provide the screen name (Lou Goddard) for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

James H.

• Sears's response · Oct 24, 2012

Dear Sears-Never Again,
    I came across your post and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. My name is Liz and I am a member of the Social Media Support Team. I can see how important it is to have your washer repaired in a timely manner. In addition, I can see how frustrating it can be to schedule an appointment and our technician did not show for the repair. We would like the opportunity to have a dedicated case manager speak with on your experience. At your convenience, please contact our office via email at [email protected] so you don’t have to be upset by this any longer. In the email, please provide a contact number and the phone number the washer was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. In addition, please include your Screen name (Sears-Never Again) in the email for reference to your issue. Again, we’re sorry for any trouble we have caused and we hope to talk to you soon.
    Liz R.
    Sears Social Media Support Team

• Sears's response · Feb 20, 2013

RobertaLOgden
    Please accept our sincerest apologies for level of customer service you have received with our repair service. Per our records, we recently reach out to you on a different website on 02/08/2013. I will forward your post over to your case manager for review. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to speaking with you.
    Liz R.

• Sears's response · Jul 07, 2014

DeeMelodee,

We regret that your repair service went so poorly. Customer service is extremely important to us, we want to make sure our members are recieving the outstanding service that they deserve. We'd like a chance to make things right. Please send your full name, mailing address, and phone number (associated with service) to [email protected] If possible, please also include the link to this post.

Best,
    Sears Member Service

• Resolution Statement

• Ca
    Cathy Carroll Mar 07, 2008

I am in the process of writing a complaint letter to Sears' customer service as well as the BBB, and I could almost use your letter word for word. Starting with the first sentence, that we will NEVER buy another Sears product, EVER!

• Li
    Lisa R May 29, 2008

I understand your frustration. My service problem started in January with my first call and is still pending. I have escalated my complaint to the BBB. I've had 3 techs out to look at my tv. The first one came about 4 times, the second one about 3 times and the last one came 2. It takes forever to get a tech out. And then when they order parts, that takes forever to receive. It seems like the various departments at Sears do not communicate with each other at all. Customer Service no longer exist at sears. No wonder business is so bad for them. I will NEVER ever shop at Sears again. I can't wait for them to go out of business.

• Ro
    Roger M Jun 19, 2008

I too am having a very bad experience with Sears... I had an appointment to get my washer fixed, it is two years old and I have an extended warranty on it. I of course had an appointment between 8 am and 5 pm, at 4:45 pm no one shows or calls, I call customer repair service and was told there are two people ahead of me, 6:30 pm call again and there is one person in front of me, 8:30 pm call again and I was told the tech was done for the day and I would have to reschedule my appointment which turns out to be a week later. After several more phone of complaining I am told the tech put down that I was not home, which is a lie! I tell them to just schedule me for the next appointment and I will make complaints to sears corporation home office, and they then tell me the tech has the ticket locked and they can't reschedule me. I make several phone calls to sears service to get an appointment they they say their computers are down! I am including an address I found for others for what appears to be a CEO for sears, I am going to try and contact him and make a big stink about the service, lies, and deceit that the company appears to promote.

Mr. Alan Lacy
    Phone 847-286-2500
    Fax 847-286-7829

• Mi
    Mike Jun 21, 2008

Sears has tried ripping me off but this is only the beginning... I had warranty work done on my Sony TV by Sears. After the work was completed the tech asked how I was going to pay for it. I told him it should be covered by Sony but he said they have not been paid by Sony. Later I find out that Sears should have never charged me because they have a contract with Sony. After several 4 hour + phone calls with Sony And Sears, Sears acknowledged they shouldn't have charged me. So now where do I stand? I call back several times, they acknowledge the same thing but when do I get paid? I am out $2100 while they sit around and admit their fault but do not pay out. Finally I have contacted the BBB. I have had good luck with them in the past so maybe they can be of assistance. Sears customer service is the most pitiful! I especially love the Indian people on the other line with American names such as John, Sam, Leslie. :) Down with Sears! I am half tempted to walk into Sears and walk out with a new TV without paying for it and tell them to take it off my tab.

• Ta
    Talia Jul 15, 2008

"The few dollars you may save on SEARS appliances is not worth the frustration and anxiety you will experience in the event that you need it repaired." WELL SAID! After our dishwasher went out 2 MONTHS AGO, the Sears Escalated Complaints Office has still not gotten back to us. We will have to go to the BBB and sue them through Small Claims. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY, TIME, AND HEALTH ON SEARS' JUNK WARRANTIES!

• Cr
    Craig Dombrosky Jul 22, 2008

After reading the previous postings, I have come to the realization that I can expect poor customer service from Sears Repair.

Our Kenmore refrigrator purchased March 2005 stopped working on Thursday July 21, 2008. I called and scheduled the first available service appointment which was today Tuesday July 22 with and appointment time from 1 pm till 5 pm.

I called in the morning to confirm the appointmet. At 12 noon I received a call that a technician was not available and that the next available appointment would be Friday July 25.

Despite my protesting that this was unacceptable due to the fact that I took off from work, called in the morning to confrirm the appointment and that my family has been living out off coolers, all I received was useless apologies and a promise that I would receive a call from the routing department.

As of this writing, I have not received a call.

The only bright spot here is that I did not purchase the extended warranty, however the compressor is warranted for 5 years.

I agree with the other unsatisfied Sears customers. I will not purchase and major appliances from Sears again.

• Te
    Teresa Marks Jul 22, 2008

I'll go one further than that. I'm never buying anything at Sears again...I'm going to drive faster if I see one of their stores! Any business that delivers such horrible repair service obviously does not give two "roebucks" about their customers.
    So, you've heard it all before. In a nutshell; refrigerator got "fixed" (if "fixed" means it runs for one hour before making terrible noises and turning into a petri dish incubator) to the tune of $372, not under warranty of course and still has not been fixed and it's been a month.
    After many lovely phone calls to 1-800-MY A** and some delightful omissions of...oh, what is that called? ...oh, yes, the TRUTH...I find out today that they have not even ordered the compressor since they can't find one and they are horribly back ordered from whoever they usually make their devil deals with. Sears Repair has serious karma issues!

• Ji
    Jim Olney Aug 08, 2008

I have to add to the chorus regarding Sears absolutely abysmal customer service connected to the repair of our HE3t clothes washer. Anticipating that the service tech wouldn't have parts on hand, I rush ordered the most likely parts (extra $40 shipping) I was advised that I'd receive a reminder call the day before the scheduled repair. Didn't happen. So I called Sears in the morning to confirm my appointment for later in that day. I was told the repair tech would arrive between 1 PM & 4 PM. Around 2:30 Sears calls but I wasn't quick enough to catch their call. The voice message advised me to call and reschedule my now canceled appointment. Aaaarg! By the way, the message was spoken so fast (well practiced I expect) that I had to listen three times to grab the phone number.

Thirty seconds later I attempted to salvage the appointment but to no avail. Fifteen minutes on hold for a supervisor resulted in a disconnect. After running the automated voice gauntlet yet again, I booked a new appointment in 6 days. I am not pleased.

Last year the companion drier required two new control boards which were covered under an extended warranty. The washer has no extended warranty. And I am looking for quicker, more considerate service from a local repair shop.

Brand loyalty certainly suffers from experiences like ours.

Jim O

• Lo
    Louie Weaver Sep 05, 2008

OMG! I'm reading these comments and thinking that I must have written them. Sears has now screwed me out of 4 day and they want 1 more day of me to miss work so I can wait and see if they're gonna feel like showing up that day or not. A whole week of pay I'm missing because of their incompetence. My washer is covered under warranty so it won't cost me anything but actually it has cost me...$600+ in lost wages!!!

• Ti
    Tim Devine Oct 02, 2008

Do not use Sears repair! They had 2 consecutive days of no show, and all they had were excuses. They were polite on the phone, but they did not offer any compensation for 2 wasted days. The best way to deal with them is go to their competition. I am a long time Sears customer, but as of today, I will no longer buy anything from Sears.

• Mi
    Mitch Kross Oct 16, 2008

First thing I would like to address is that this is not a perfect world. A technician could be given up to 9 morning 8-12AM calls, Yes you read it right up to 9 calls in a 4 hour period, that is humanly impossible if they are problem calls(diagnose & repair)and if you include drive time & diagnosis, it's just not possible. Also don't forget that if a technician needs to get a part locally from a parts store you can take an hour away from that 4 hour time frame. Unexpected situations happen daily, not to mention traffic, time spent on the phone with STAC (Sears Technical Assistance Center), trying to fix a problem if the tech if not familiar w/ it, and waiting for a cust to show up to the home because they had to go shopping, take their kids to school etc.. Now, if a tech can't make all of his/her morning appointments within the ETA there should be a call to the customer a.s.a.p. to see if they would like to have service that day or reschedule for a more convenient time. Any morning calls that the tech can not get to, they still have to run those calls in the afternoon, which of course pushes the calls from 1-5 usually into a later hour. There is a reason why Sears calls the customer to see if they are home. Number 1 is to see if they are home. Alot of service orders are made and people for some reason or other don't stay home during the time they picked. If you need to leave you can also leave your cell as an alternate # when making the service call. That way you can meet the tech. Most customers say they were home the whole time but would not answer any of the 3 numbers they gave to reach them. Keep in mind all numbers given have to be called at least twice to pull a call off a tech's route, that's up to 6 calls. If you won't answer after all that then it's a waste of time & money to send a tech out there.That leaves Sears with a tough decision, they can send a tech to the home that no one can be verified to be at, which makes no sense especially with the gas prices on the rise or move on to the next call and try to reach that customer later. Please don't take a day off of work to wait for a tech, 95% of the time they make the time frames, but theres always that 5 %. Have a nice day.

• Mr
    mrkjsb90 May 13, 2019

@Mitch Kross I agree with all of this, but they canceled all together on me, so through a TEXT MESSAGE they rescheduled for 3 days later!!! without even discussing with me. I cant make that date. Just come late, i am good with that. communicate effectively, then come as promised on the day you agreed to!!! We have lives and going 2 weeks living out of coolers is ridiculous!!!

MARILYNN HARTIN Feb 13, 2009

I AM SO MAD WITH SEARS I CANT EVEN BELIEVE THE UNPROFFESIONALISM. (THEY CALL ME A PREMIER CUSTOMER FOR YEARS NOW) HAHAHA ...AND USING THAT WORD PROFESSION IS EVEN HARD TO WRITE IN THE SAME SENTENCE AS SEARS. I AM GIVING SOME DETAILS ON WHAT HAPPEDED BUT THERE IS SOOOO MUCH MORE!!! SUPPOSED TO HAVE ONE SERV MAN HERE FOR 3 APPLIANCES ON A TUESDAY 8-12 HE COMES AT 9 FOR FRIDGE. VERY NICE BUT SAYS I'M GETTING ANOTHER GUY FOR WASHER AND DRYER!! OK. WAITING AND WAITING..."HE'LL BE THERE BY 10" HE'LL BE THERE BY 11.30 ..3 DISCONNECTS...TRANSFERS THAT I CAN'T COUNT!! HE'LL BE THERE AT 130. (8-12 REMEMBER).
    I STILL STUCK IT OUT. CALLED AGAIN "THEY'LL BE THERE AT 3. I WAITED AND WAITED FOR A MANAGER AND DID NOT GIVE UP UNTIL I GOT ONE! TOOK FOREVER...HAD TO SURVIVE THE TRANSFERS..ALL THE EXPLAINING TO SOMEONE WHO CANNOT HELP...LIES TO GET RID OF ME AND DISCONNECTS. SHE WAS NICE. AT THE END, I CANCELLED...WAITED FROM 8-3 NOW. SHE PUT ME IN ON FRIDAY NOW 8-12. SERV MAN CALLED. WAS NICE AT 845. SAID HE'D BE HERE AFTER STOP HE WAS AT. I CALLED HIM BACK AT 1045 WONDERING WHERE HE WAS!! HE SAID "OH THEY DIDN'T CALL YOU"!!! THEY TOOK YOU OFF MY ROUTE AND PUT SOMEONE ELSE THERE!! I AM SO ANGRY!!! ARE THEY MAD BECAUSE MY WARRANTIES FOR FRIDGE, TREADMILL, WASHER AND DRYER ARE UP IN ONE MONTH, SO THEY DON'T CARE. THATS NOT THE WAS FOR ME TO SIGN UP AGAIN. I CALLED AND CALLED AND EXPLAINED AND EXPLAINED AND GOT NOWHERE. WHEN I WAS ON THE PHONE WAITING FOR A MANAGER THE SERV MAN CALLED IN AND SAID HE WOULD BE HERE AFTER 4 STOPS.. HE SAID AROUND 12. I ASKED HIM TO PLEASE UPDATE ME!! IT IS NOW 1130!! HOW IN THE WORLD WILL HE BE HERE BY 12 IF I AM THE 4TH STOP!! I HATE SEARS. IT TAKES ALOT FOR ME TO GET TO THIS ANGRY!! ITS A MYSTERY WHEN HE WILL REALLY BE HERE.
    COME ON NOW SEARS...DON'T LIE. GET CLOSURE FOR CUSTOMER...CUSTOMER SERVICE JUST PLAIN SUCKS THERE!!!MARILYNN HARTIN

• Ka
    Katherine1234 Apr 07, 2009

I can second, third and fourth every complaint above. I won't go through all the details. The short version is I needed a tiny part for my dishwasher handle and a repair appointment. The Sears rep managed to not understand the parts website, resulting in one small part (should have been two) and 16 screws (when I needed only two at most). Many phone calls later, I managed to buy and get yet another part. The piece of plastic may take 50 cents to make. It is $40 for one, double for two. Then the usual 1-5 appointment. 15 or so calls to Sears during the day. They had my cell. I came home early; I canceled a dentist appointment; I had to cancel a dinner meeting because at 5 they still weren't here. And even as late as 6:45 I was being told the guy was on route to me. He never showed, lied about it, some other rep erased the lie when I asked to speak to a supervisor. She could do nothing. Supposedly I have an appointment for Friday and I am first in the 1-5 slot. I won't hold my breath. This company is totally irresponsible. Do not call them for a repair. And if you can find you part elsewhere on the internet, go for it. It can't be any worse. One other complaint--the stupid automated telephone takes 20 minutes of shouting for a rep before you can get a person. I hope Sears goes out of business.

• Ra
    Ramona May 11, 2009

I agree with ALL of the above comments and the truth of it all is that Sears does not care. I see that 400 days ago, someone wrote to the CEO. Well, I was just given the name of the CEO to call and guess what... it's a different person... Bruce Johnson. No-one cares. I think we should all go to the stores and as people are buying the products, we should walk over to them and tell them NOT to buy the maintenance agreement !! I don't care if Sears goes out of business either. If you don't care about your customers, why would your customers care about you? Problem is, I doubt that Sears even reads these comments and even if they do, they don't care. Go to a mom and pop appliance store that depends upon customer satisfaction to stay in business.

• Pr
    Pronger Dec 04, 2009

I agree with all ypur complaints with sears. We have also been sears customers for 35 years. We recently bought a Maytag Refrigerator from them first of all it was dented they brought us a second one it had greater dammage than first one so we elect to keep the first one. They have been here 3 times to work on it. It doesnt make ice and it keeps everything froze in the refrigerator so we cant put anything in it we dont want to freeze. We had a terrible thanksgiving. We also had reported them to BBB and will never purchase from them again. We are very dissatasfied with the service. We have had this refrigerator 5 monthes and it worked one month. I think we should post a commercial against them.
    [email protected]

• Ka
    Kathleen bly Dec 14, 2009

My husband and I purchased a garden tractor with the extended warrantee. I has been broken down in Aug. It is now december and still no repair. what a joke. I was unable to do my summer and fall work . Sears just does not care and we will never, never again deal with Sears. We have a farm and the tractor is important to our every day work.
    Outraged. kathleen Bly

Sandy1887 Jun 14, 2010

I agree with the aforementioned complaints. I'll never use Sears Repair Service again. I took off work to get an oven fixed for the proverbial 1-5:oo service call. Well, here it is 6:20 pm and no service person. When I call Sears, I'm told either that I just have to wait for him (he's running behind, and if it's 9:00 pm tonight, so be it) or that they can reschedule me in a month or that they cannot reschedule me because "this has been assigned to a technician already". What the heck? What amazing rudeness. I'll never buy another appliance or get repairs from Sears again!

MAPG Jun 15, 2010

Everyone should know that the INFAMOUS A & E repair is a subsidiary of Sears. Please check WiKi information. They have provided NO SERVICE to me. In future, I will make sure to purchase products that are NOT COVERED BY SEARS OR A & E (that are the same.)
    Additionally, I AGREE with ALL of the previously listed complaints!!

• Cj
    CJJ21 Jul 20, 2010

I wished I had read these complaints before I called sears for service. I have a Kenmore washer that is only a few years old. When I called to ask what they could do to repair this they told me for $219.99 I could purchase (over the phone) an extended warranty plan which would cover labor and parts upto $500.00. If they couldnt fix it they would give me a creit of $500.00 for a new washer. There were 2 in stores close to Syracuse, New York which were less than $500.00 and would have been satisfactory. I called them on a Saturday morning and they said with payment ($233.00 charged to my credit card) they could schedule an appointment for the next tuesday between 1-5 pm. Immediately on Saturday morning they charged my Chase Credit Card. On Tuesday I made sure someone was home for the Sears repair tech who was supposto to fix/replace the washer. At 1:30 pm that tuesday "customer service" called and said that due to the fact that the service tech had a " family emergency". So apparently there is only ONE service tech to service the entire Central New York area (close to 1 million people) and they said the next possible appointment wasnt until 6 days later...this after I had already waited FOUR days for them to give me a BS excuse that the tech had a "family emergency". I told them I didnt care what family emergency he had, send someone else, a contractor from a different company...they had wasted 4 days and 4 hours and already charged my credit card $233.00...I wanted SERVICE that I ALREADY PAID FOR...NOT EXCUSES. When I called to complain "sharron" the supervisor was rude and had me transferred 4 different times to FOUR different departments before I got to the department for a refund. This company sucks! I called Chase Bank and filed a FRAUD complaint against Sears. I am also filing a complaint with the NY State Attorney General. They didnt offer me anything for my wasted time and significant inconvienence. Kenmore brand items are garbage and their "service" is even worse (if that is possible). I will never buy anything ever again from Lands End, Sears, Kmart any of their affiliated companies. This is the worst experience I have ever had with any company. Instead of buying my Kodak all-in-one printer and appliances for my apartment at Sears...I went to Walmart. Incredibly Walmart a mega billion dollar company with 30, 000 times the number of customers than the formerly bankrupt Sears provided excellent service and doesnt engage in the same sub standard and fraudulent business practices that Sears does.

Feel free to post in other forums. Sears apparently thinks that they are too big to have to care about what customers think and the type of service they receive. We will prove them wrong. No customers=no sales=no profit= a shareholder sell-off=the end of this [censor] company.

• O0
    O'Malley Sep 27, 2010

Wow!! Reading these comments is like de ja vue (sp?)! I won't even bother giving any details because my experience is EXACTLY like everyone else's!!! And to think that the first entry was over 2 years ago and nothing has changed! I also, will never buy anything from or enter another Sears store. I will write to the BBB though, as I sit and wait for my scheduled "first appointment" of the day, which is already showing signs of being another no show.

• Ll
    LL72 Oct 06, 2010

I am also a frustated customer!!!

FIRST Buyers should be aware that when you buy an appliance from Sears that the manufacturer will no longer stand behind its product since Sears has assumed the warranty!! (In other words Sears got a discount from the manufacturer for assuming the warranty - not that Sears will stand behind it... just add the savings to THEIR bottom line).

I made the mistake of purchasing the appliances for my new home in 2008 (over $13, 000).

After 10 months (Oct 2009) my Bosch washer started having issues. It would randomly leave PERMANENT marks on the clothing (especially anything washed on cold cycle).

Sears service has been out several times. No one seems to know the issue. I followed all their recommendations i.e change detergent, run machine with dishwasher tablet, etc...

In March 2010, I called Bosch directly. The customer service rep was very friendly as I expressed my frustration with Sears and their lack of service. She assured me that Bosch wants to make sure their customers are happy. Bosch then sent out several techs from the surrounding area to resolve the problem. After 6 months of more service calls I still do not have a washing maching that works properly. Once I again I called Bosch and when I mentioned that I purchased it from Sears I was told that they are not responsible since Sears assumed the warrranty when they bought it from Bosch.

October 2010, I still do not have a washer that functions properly. I have had Sears come out once again. I was also given a customer service phone number...waited for over 15 minutes for someone to answer. Another service person handed me another phone number which happens to be in the Phillipines.

Today I am expecting a phone call from the area's manager as I have complained a number of times. They also have on my file that I am a VALUED customer based on my purchases. I hope that anyone ever considers purchasing ANYTHING from Sears Googles Sears customer complaints and finds this.

I am also going to post this on my FB to ensure that others let their friends know the LACK OF SERVICE received from Sears.

Sears at this point should replace my washer, compensate me for my lost time for each service and compensate me for the DAMAGED clothing.

I have offered to wash the President's clothing...not sure how he would feel risking his designer clothing.

• Un
    unhappy in MD Nov 16, 2010

I think we need to form a club!! After three months, six appointments either rescheduled or failure to show, dozens of phone calls, hours of missed work, wrong parts ordered, and no technician available, I am ready to write off Sears forever. I am now waiting for my 8-12 appointment to show up. It is 2:30. I have called four times today alone and been assured each time that someone will come to fix my refrigerator. Does anyone want to take bets???
    I was offered a reimbursement/replacement for my frig but found out that this policy is even more unfair to consumers. Since my refrigerator of twenty months is no longer available, I am entitled to the value of my original frig, however, it can be used ONLY on another Sears refrigerator. So now I must locate one the size of my "old" one and then pay the difference since all have been up-graded. I bet they would even try to sell me an extended service contract!! NO THANK YOU!!!
    I am determined that this refrigerator will be fixed. I am also determined to contact BBB and any other consumer advocate organization that will listen. I do not think contacting the CEO of Sears will do any good, since so many of you ahead of me have done that and the complaints continue.
    Why does it take soooo long to fix one small refrigerator???

• Ke
    KennethSmith1965 Feb 09, 2011

My wife and I purchased the H3 Washer and Dryer in 2004and have been happy with them but not the service lately. I have been without my washer for the last 4 weeks. Their service technicians have been wonderful but scheduling an appointment for the same repair has been horrible. They have been to my house four times to repair the same problem and there is still no solution after today's appointment. I have had to take off work on three of those appointments and I don’t get reimbursed. They have sent out the same part twice and both times they did not work. I have noticed that SEARS sends out repair parts that have been refurbished. The two computer boards they have sent out have been marked refurbished. I am in the computer business and it would be terrible to fix a computer with refurbished parts especially with the amount of money we pay each year for the maintenance contract. I have been offered $25 for each week that my washer has not been fixed. With three sons who play year round sports our washing machine is going non-stop. $25 a week does not put a dent in our laundry bill. I have been paying a maintenance contract for 6 years and have never had such bad service. SEARS is great on annual maintenance but is terrible when they have to repair their own equipment. The same error code F and H have been appearing on my washing after each repair and they still have not found a solution. I asked if they could give me a temporary washer until they solve the problem and the answer was "that is not part of our service agreement", but repairing the KENMORE washer is part of the agreement. As has been stated in many of comments I will never again purchase a SEARS KENMORE. I was telling my wife last year that I wanted to replace our H3 with the newer models after the boys go to college. I have since changed my mind and when friends call me this time for a recommendation I will recommend GE or some other brand. SEARS please do a better job in the future.

Kenneth Smith
    1832 S. Sycamore Ave, LA, CA 90019

• Tr
    Trish257 Mar 27, 2011

Once again I was stupid enough to call Sears for repair on an appliance. The woman on the phone basically called me a liar because she was LISTENING to what I said when I said it and then her supervisor came onto the phone and it was obvious she made her decision regarding my problem before she ever even spoke to me. Apparently they do not think that the knob breaking completely off my range when Richard tried to turn the burner on is a manufacturer defect.

Last year Sears came out to repair a broken plastic button on my Bosch dishwasher, made 4 trips out, made the situation worse each time because of their incompetence and 3 MONTHS later the dishwasher still wasn't operational and was finally replaced because they had completely destroyed the door. It costs our home warranty provider over $600 in parts alone. The parts were all thrown away months later when Sears never had UPS pick them up even though I called twice. The story ended with us getting a new dishwasher at a cost of $30 to us, but no telling how much it cost the warranty company.

In May 2010 I got my killer new range, which we purchased from Sears because they had a never used without box return that was $1000 off the cost of one that was in a box. That was the ONLY reason we purchased from Sears.

After today's call to schedule a repair I decided to ask them to ship the part that was broken so that the tech could actually complete the repair the first time he came out. The service scheduler so "No problem, let me just transfer you to the parts dept. The part will be covered under warranty." I explained what happened to the woman in parts and she told me that the part which was listed for $25 online would be $54. When I asked why the part was twice what it was listed for online and why it was covered by warranty as I was told she told me it was because I told her that I was removing the knob to clean it and that was covered by the warranty. I explained that she had misunderstood me and that it happened when my husband was trying to turn the burner on she said that I had said I was using the stove. Therefore the part was not covered under warranty.

SO, I want all my friends to understand the rules for a range bought from Sears. If you buy a $2, 800 GE range that has a 5 year parts warranty and you remove and clean the knobs (EVER) as instructed per the manufacturer's instructions, acccording to Sears, you waive your warranty. If your husband attempts to turn the stove on, you waive your warranty.

Luckily, I should be able to use any GE approved repair center for service and not have to allow anyone from Sears into my home, ever again. And when we replace our refrigerator, which will probably be our next appliance purchase, there is one place we will definitely NOT shop.

• Tr
    Trish257 Mar 27, 2011

darn it, that last post was supposed to say she WASN'T listening

• Md
    MD Tech Apr 21, 2011

WOW! I am finished with Sears! Been a customer since I was a kid, but no more. Worse service I have ever seen. They just don't care, and should close down the rest of their stores. I'm in the service business and would not be around too much longer if I rolled like Sears. What a disgrace, a once great American Company goes reprobate!

anthakur May 27, 2011

We have now gone through several extremely bad service experiences with Sears. All our appliances has extended warranties contract with Sears. Some of those are for twelve years. Following are some of the specific Issues.

Missed appointments: This happened now three times already. Please note we have four hour window for the service technician to show-up. If you call at 3 hr 45 minutes into the appointment window, the standard answer is the ‘time is not up yet’. Call after four hours has passed, they will happily give you another appointment, may be a week later. My time has no value.

Multiple appointments needed to fix the issue: At a minimum two appointments would be needed to fix anything. First would be to just verify the problem and order parts. Second appointment is needed to install the parts on appliances. This is if you are lucky enough to have received the correct part and sufficient of them.

Listening to technicians BS: Often time I have to deal with the nonsensical explanation from the technician. By the way I am a PhD in engineering myself. Don’t tell me just because there are some dirt accumulated in the vent, the Freezer will stop working.

Bottom-line Conclusion: If you value your time and peace of mind, do not go for Sears Extended Service Contracts. I know I will not renew my contracts.

Alakh T
    San Jose, CA

• Ko
    kona11 Jun 23, 2011

I have been waiting for a month and a half to have the door in my dryer replace. When I first called the lady told me she was ordering the door technician is going to be there in 2 weeks. Two weeks later technician is here NO door, waited another 3 weeks, oh they send the wrong door! So I called customer service and was told as soon as the door arrives give us a called we would try to send somebody the next day or the day after. Of course when I called this morning I was told it can't be done! Ask to talk to a manager Oh manager can't do anything about it! Horrible, horrible service and never again buying anything with sears not even a piece of gum.

• Jk
    JKDE Jun 24, 2011

Sears service just keeps sinking lower, and lower, and lower.

When Sears finally goes out of business, no one will miss them, no one will care.

• Lo
    Lou Goddard Jul 14, 2011

How can so many Sears cusotmers have the same problems..!! Getting service. Our AC unit stopped working June 28, 2011. They were so booked our appointment had to be set for July 14, 2011. between 8-12. No show so about 12:30 we called. Sears did not even show that we had a service call and they made another appointment for July 26, 2011 between 8-12.
    Well, that set me on fire. Got on the phone and finally got someone to admit they were wrong, yes, they understood we were in the middle of a heat wave, 101 degrees yesterday, and he would have the service guy out tomorrow AM between 8-12. Everyone knows this person will not "FIX" our AC. He will check it out and order parts, which may be here in 2 weeks.
    M y husband has had a Sears CC since he was 18...52 years now. As far as we both are concerned their service has finally reached the bottom of "the service repair pit" and it will never recover.

• Ag
    agnes_a Aug 14, 2011

Dear Sir/Ma'am,

This is an official complaint and request for escalation of an ongoing problem regarding a repair service call we are encountering with Sears since June of this year (2011). At this time we are very dissatisfied and upset with the entire process which we'd normally expect to be seamless and reasonably quick.

Problem:
    Unable to light the stove regularly. Attempts to light the stove are made repeatedly, however, the starter does not light the stove top. It could take as much as 20 minutes to have success, often requiring using an external lighter. Once one of the burners lights up, it continues to work for some time - so if you turn it off and then back on quickly, it will most likely work again. However, if you leave the stove untouched for a day and try the next day you may be struggling for another 20 minutes before it lights up. So, the problem is intermittent, depending upon when you are observing it.

1) In June 2011 a repair service call was made with the home warranty: Buyers Protection Group

2) Sears was assigned to make the repair, based on the type of appliance

3) Sears appointment was very delayed, however, an appointment was confirmed for a technician for July, 20th. We were patient and understanding regarding this delay.

4) The Sears technician (which we later learned was with a Sears sub-contractor A&E, Technician ID# 0098178) came out to do the repair. He reproduced the problem, diagnosed it as something that would repair new parts. We were informed that he would order the parts after which a Sears technician will come out again to finish the repair. The $60 call fee was paid.

5) There was a significant delay in the parts being shipped. We had to contact Sears back regarding this and were informed that Sears was having trouble locating the parts. After much delay, two parts were shipped to us on different dates.

6) Sears was called back to schedule a second technician to come out to replace the parts. This appointment was confirmed for August 13th.

7) On August 13th, Technician ID# 773473 came out to finish the repair which we had now been waiting on almost two months very patiently.

8) Upon arrival, the second technician lighted the stove and it lighted up. He stated that because the stove lighted up, he cannot replace the parts. We explained that the stove's failure is intermittent and unpredictable. Sometimes it does light up, especially if it had been lit recently. The first Sears technician on July 20th had already reproduced and diagnosed the problem, ordered the parts and put an action plan in place. This call was to make the repair and complete the action plan the first Sears technician had put in place. The technician, however, refused to make the repair since the stove lit up. Essentially, the problem identification, diagnosis and action plan put in place by the previous technician was invalidated. The explanation provided by us, the customer, were not heard. This was very disappointing and to us seemed completely unnecessary, given that we had been waiting nearly 2 months for this repair to be completed. There seems to be a problem here with the second technician having no history on the repair service call, and no information from the first technician. This seems to us like an internal Sears problem that needs to be addressed internally. However, the customer is at the losing end here and at the mercy of the process. The stove is still not repaired, which is all we care about.

9) We called back the Customer Resolution line at Sears, who we had spoken to in the past as well while waiting on the parts. Sears employee, Alicia (ID# 300050) spoke to us. We had to provide the phone number of the technician to Alicia for her to help provide history to the technician and make the repair. However, Alicia repeated whatever the second technician was stating over and over again without any type of resolution:
    - We were informed that the first technician did not get authorization for the parts when they were ordered (Sears - Sorry, but this is not our problem. It looks like there is process violation on your side here. The parts were ordered and they arrived at our door, albeit after a very lengthy delay. How can you allow parts to be shipped without authorization, who paid for these parts etc. are your internal processes. We paid the service call fee the first time. Per the notes, the first technician apparently could not hold on long enough to get authorization. Again, this is a Sears process issue)
    - Moreover, the second technician closed the case without our agreement, since he could not find authorization from the warranty company (what prevented him from calling the warranty again? His tone was extremely unprofessional and it seemed like he just did not want to get the job done. I am not sure how Sears allows the technicians to close a case when, from it appears some procedures were not followed. So, instead of fixing the issue, the case was just closed. Perhaps, this should have been sorted out internally by Sears, instead of a very unprofessional visit for the customer. The stove is still not fixed.)

10) We asked Alicia to look into this further and for Sears to figure out the solution to the problem we feel they created. Instead we were informed about the whole process of Sears and A&E subcontractors. We spent an hour on the phone pretty upset for all the inconveniences we encountered and all we got was procedural stories instead of fixes to the problems.

11) We asked for Alicia's manager to help get to a resolution, and she said that there is no manager one can call or complain to. We were told to call back the same number, if we get her again to hang up until we get someone else and state complaint on the call.

12) The only solution we were told is for us to call our warranty company again and create a new service order to restart the entire process. She said that since the second technician closed the service order nothing can be done about it and that Sears cannot reopen it nor create a new one. We asked her to call our Warranty and work it out with them directly. We just do not understand why we as customers have to be involved with all the procedural problems, we feel Sears created. She said that cannot be done.

Basically we see disagreements and incompetence with Sears technicians, Sears process and the escalation line wich does nothing to help the customer.
    We would appreciate resolution to this problem as soon as possible to get the stove fixed.

We would just like the stove repaired as soon as possible. We will appreciate a prompt response on behalf of Sears.

Sears -Never Again Oct 22, 2012

Wish I had looked at this web site before calling Sears service for a washer repair! NO customer service when they screw up!

Called 10/6 with a broken washer. First available appointment 10/12. He had to order a part. First available return appointment 10/19. The repairman did not show up. When I called 10/20, I was told that the next available appointment was November 1 and they had no ability to give me a sooner date even though it was their error. I had to go to the back of the line. "sorry"

I got transferred up one level. Same story. Anyone higher up who could help? "You can call or write corporate, but it won't do any good"

Well, they were right about that. Same story at "corporate". It is completely unacceptable to send someone to the back of the line when Sears doesn't show up at the appointed time.

SEARS EXEC EMAIL ADDRESSES Oct 25, 2012

NEVER AGAIN...
    Here are the emails and the exec phone for the big wigs at Sears! let them know how you feel over and over...maybe they will realize they have a problem?

Louis J. D'Ambrosio, CEO/ President ld’[email protected]

William K. Phelan, Vice President, Finance [email protected]
    Robert A. Riecker, Vice President, [email protected]

Sears Executive OfficeTelephone 847-286-2500

Nolacarol Nov 07, 2012

We recently contacted Sears to repair a washing machine. The first repair visit was 9/8/2012. Shortly after the repairman left, I discovered that the machine was having the same problem so I called to make another appointment and was told the next available appointment was over 2 weeks away. I found an earlier appointment on-line, but was told that I would have to pay again if I scheduled the earlier appointment. After going back and forth with the "customer service" rep I finally got the earlier appointment and was told to just show the guy my receipt. After the 2nd visit on 9/18/12 the machine was still broken and I had missed a 1/2 day of work. The next available appointment was 10/5. We spent a lot of time on the phone trying to get an earlier appointment since we had now been without a working washer for a month. At the 3rd visit we were told we needed another part and so we paid $147 for the part and the repairman said he would be back on 10/17. When he arrived on 10/17 he discovered the part was not needed after all. He completed a part return order and said we would receive a refund check in the mail in approximately 5-7 days. 14 days later I called Sears to check on the refund and was disconnected twice. I finally emailed them and received a response within 24 hours asking me to call and provide my credit card number. Once I did this I was told it would take 7-10 business days to process. So it took Sears 4 visits and almost 2 months to fix my machine and they unnecessarily charged me $147 and kept that money for a month and a half. Every step along the way felt like a battle. I was so tired of hearing the reps read their standard monotone statements of "concern" for my problem. I will not make the mistake of dealing with Sears in the future. I can't believe they are still in business with such a poor record of customer support.

• Ei
    Eileen Wilson Dec 11, 2012

I can't believe these people! They are absolute idiots! Sears that is! I can completely repeat these stories! And I am now sitting at home at 1:00 PM waiting for my guaranteed noon appt. The serviceman is 2 hours away from my location! I am now on my second day off of work waiting for the Sears repairman. They are giving me a discount that is not even 1/3 of my lost wages. I am now waiting for a supervisor to call me back. They said 15 minutes. I asked 15 minutes in what week? They said today. Well an hour later and still no call from their "stuperviser". I have cancelled appointments. I am afraid to take a shower or get dressed for fear I will miss a phone call. I will never, ever purchase so much as a toothpick from Sears. I'm going to talk with my attorney regarding my lost wages while waiting on the "Sears guarantees". I do not care if their technicians are overbooked. I do not care who they are helping. They promised me I would be the first call of the day. Hmmmm... What time do their technicians start their day?! If they are overbooking technicians then they are doing better than most companies in this economy and need to do some more hiring! There is absolutely no excuse!!! Not any apology can ever compensate for their incompetence.

• Ro
    RobertaLOgden Feb 15, 2013

Sears Repair Service is a joke! Too long for all details but I have missed 3 days work and been told my technician is sick twice. SORRY, SORRY CUSTOMER SERVICE!!
    I was contacted by phone and given a direct contact person (Robert) to help resolve this issue. However to update my nightmare, I was "stood up" again yesterday, Sears called at 12:30 to cancel on my 3rd service call. They rescheduled for FOUR weeks later. That would be a total of TEN weeks! As nice as all the customer service people are, they have no control over SEARS and the TERRIBLE customer service environment in which they work. On the up side, I fixed my problem by calling a REAL repair service - A Affordable Appliance.

• De
    DeeMelodee May 09, 2014

I wish I had read all these comments as well prior to using Sears Appliance Service. Looking at the dates of the posts, Sears has not gotten its act together to fix their problems. I can't believe they are still in business. How can they be so busy and have such a long lead time for appointments if their record is so bad? My problems with Sears are for April-May 2014. I called them to fix my Frigidaire dishwasher which I didn't buy from them but was listed on their website that they fix. I did get an appointment for a week later on April 24 but could not be home that day so my brother let the repair person in. FYI, they don't give time slots like morning or afternoon any more. They give an 8 am to 5 pm time on any given week day. They didn't have the part which to me would be a very common part so he had to leave to get it. Then he said he couldn't turn the water off at the dishwasher because the knob was rusted and he wouldn't turn the water off to the house for "safety" reasons. He wouldn't wait for my brother to call my uncle who could have fixed it. He made my brother pay and said I would have to call to make another appointment after the knob was fixed. My uncle came that day and fixed the knob. When I called Sears to make another appointment they said the appointment was already set. They had not let me know and I didn't have anyone 18 or older who could be there that day to let them in. We finally found an appointment on May 6. Again I couldn't be there (who can take a whole day off from work every single time to let in these repair people?) My dad came over to let him in. He did fix the dishwasher (installed a new pump) but when he re-installed the dishwasher it sat 2 inches below the counter and stuck out an inch from the cabinets. Previously it had been installed flush to the cabinets and right under the counter. I tried to avoid calling them again and figure out how to make it look better but it just didn't sit well with me such a shabby job. So I called again on May 9. I had to call 3 times, was put on hold for a total of 40 minutes, and spoke with 2 supervisors. The soonest date they could give me was May 19. I said I needed to have it fixed sooner as my house is up for sale and I need to have it looking its best for showing. I demanded that they pay for another company to send someone out but they refused. They did keep apologizing but that really wasn't a solution to the problem. Oh, and the person I spoke with on the phone had the nerve to ask me if I wanted to purchase Sears warranty on my appliances. And another indication of their ineptitude is that they didn't have a record of me paying the bill but I have a receipt that shows I paid via credit card. So, no, I will never use Sears Service again. I posted on my FB not to use it. And now I'm posting here not to use it. I will try writing to the CEO but at this point I expect nothing. I just want to warn other people.

• Sh
    SHobbs May 23, 2014

Sears is absolutely the worst Auto mechanic experience that I have ever had. I would think that with the number of years the company has been in business, the previous and past reputation would superseded them. To my disappointment, it would be better to get your car worked on by a "shade tree" mechanic! I have been given the run around since March 7, 2014 for the first time I took my car to Sears for the initial problem I had with my car. The so called Customer Relations, Customer Solutions department is a absolute joke and all of the representatives need to return to beginners Customer Service 101 Skills training to learn how to de-escalate an already disgruntled customer. I hate SEARS and will never shop there for anything based on this experience. I was refused the phone number to the CEO and was told that the own employees of Sears do not have access to Eddie Lampley the CEO of Sears nor his secretary. I wonder if it is because of the number of complaints and number of people trying to reach him? U

• 19
    1958Debs May 27, 2014

We have had two appointments blown off by their techs in less than a month. The first time they claimed the tech called in sick and there were no other techs, which turned out to be a big fat lie as the one that finally came out stated that no one had recently called in sick and there were several techs. This morning it was just a big mess. They had us waiting all morning, told us to wait until 11:30 am and then called 15 minutes after that and told us he had a family emergency and was, once again, the only tech. Lodged a complaint with their call site, who told us they have no way of fixing this mess. Who could blame them, as they are only under paid call site employees in India(Yes, "Henry" I could tell your Calcutta accent). They made another appointment for us Friday, 1:00 pm-5;00 pm. If they're a no show, we lodging a compliant wit the BBB.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices