Complaints & Reviews

Resolved let go unfairly on my

Hi, My name is Keith Siragusa. I am 23 years old and I graduated from the College of Staten Island with a...

Resolved misinsformed sales and poor customer service

I've bought a Freezer from them in the store on 12-03-2013, the sale never told me that I have to defrost and drain the old freezer prior to the delivery day, and when the guys show up today -15-03-2013 afternoon, the guy saw there still have very small amount or ice in there, they refuse to take my old freezer out and insisted that, the sale person would/should have told you that deflost is my resposibilty, so they just left my old freezer in my basement and my new freezer in my garage and told me 4 days later, they will send some other guys to come to remove the old freezer and bring the new one down for me, but I have removed all frozen food from my old freezer and unpluged it for a day (that's why it only have very small amount of ice in there), and the new one is sitting in my garage that in still in the original box, and can't move it into the house because it is very heavy and I can't start, so they just leave me like that, so I call the customer service to tell the my situation, but after a long talk, they told me there is nothing they can do other than advice me to put all my food ack into the old freezer and start it up again and wait till they show up 4 days later. I told them that when I bought this freezer, the sale person never told me to deflost it, drain it before they come, and I have no idea that is required, now the girl from customer service keep telling me that the sale person should have told me that, and said there is nothing they can do, not even escalate this issue or ask those guys come earlier...I called the sale person, he ask me to call custom service again, I call their store manager, they are not taking my call. That's why I have no where to go other than make a compliant in this site. I found first of all, their customer service is very poor, not helpful at all, second of all, the sales person should have told me all the things that I should have done prior to the delivery day during the sales, but he didn't. When your sales person selling an item to a customer, you are representing your company, so you should be responsible to what you have done and what you have not done.

• Sears's response · Mar 17, 2013

Dear Dyip,

We are sorry for your disappointment with our Canada Delivery team and we would like to offer you a the telephone number to adress your concerns.The telephone number for Sears Canada is 888-275-2049.

Dee M

Saralink Mar 15, 2013

Scam seller www.classywatches.net review:
    the company took my money and sent me a tracking number which showed delivery to another person.
    then they said they made mistake and sent me another tracking number, which again showed delivery to others a week later.
    afterwards they stopped responding.
    scam alert!!!

Resolved floor damage

i purchased a LG refrigerator from the Sears Outlet store in Willoughby, Ohio, My floor was damaged by the delivery drivers
and a water line wasn't hooked up correctly leaking water all over a brand new floor and was tore up by placing the old and new refrigerator on the laminated flooring without care.for the past 2 months i have been trying to call but only every time i call i get disconnect .
They gave me a claim number but never call me back!
Any one have any luck with these people?

• Sears's response · Mar 13, 2013

Dear Kelly,

We are so very sorry for the trouble surrounding the delivery of your refrigerator and for the damaged that was done to your home. This is something that we would like to look into to see how we can get this taken care of. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (Kelly Powell), phone # used at time of purchase to [email protected] and we’ll be in touch.

Resolved elite refrigerator 7724 error and recall

After reading the previous complaints and having a Sears repair house call made on my Kenmore Elite model...

bathroom remodeling hell with sears

We chose Sears to renovate our bathroom. Sears is a big company, we thought they can provide good service and aftercare, .

What a mistake!. They've outsourced several different contractors. It was always difficult to have them on time and Sears didn't help much with arranging appointments – they didn't even get back to us sometimes.

The WORST part is they don't finish their job and we have an open ceiling for months–all we needed was to get the job inspected so Sears can seal the ceiling. Customer service rep. says they sent an inspector but we refused. I'm not sure why Sears didn't tell us an inspector was coming. She threatened me to pay the rest of balance or else they'll close the case and hand it over to an attorney but why should I when the job isn't done?

I had to schedule an inspector myself but Sears wouldn't send anyone to finish the job since they went "legal" on us already. Obviously, that was a threat/lie since I get a letter from their collection DEPT. on the day of their deadline for us to pay the rest of payment. Ridiculous.

Why does Sears lie? Why are they being so rude, inefficient, and unprofessional?

I'm so ready to pay for the rest when the job is done AND I want to have nothing to do with Sears ever again.

Resolved withholding refund

Bought a stove and microwave from sears. $3000.00. Waited two weeks for installation. Finally had to call to find about it. Installer called and didn't know about my order. I had taken the day off from work and he was trying to switch days. He reluctantly came and made the installation sound so bad that I returned the items. I didn't want him to install. That was 2/22/13. 3/1/13 and still no refund. I called and have been lied to several times regarding my refund. No answer about when money will be refunded. Keep getting different phone numbers to call and different answers.

• Sears's response · Mar 07, 2013

Dear erothrock,

We are so very sorry for the experience with our installation and for the delay with receiving your refund. We certainly understand the importance of receiving your refund in a timely manner and we want to help with making sure this happen. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (erothrock), phone # used at time of purchase to [email protected]

• Sears's response · Mar 07, 2013

Dear R Hicks,

Please accept our apologies for the difficulties you have experienced with your stove and with our repair service. My name is Misty and I am with the Sears Cares team and we like to further investigate what has happen, and address to the best of our abilities. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (R Hicks), phone # used at time of purchase to [email protected]

• The Lidman Foundation Mar 01, 2013

Because, that's why.

• Rh
    R Hicks Mar 01, 2013

Today is another failed attempt at using my Sears Kenmore $1500 electric range oven. I've made 4 service calls since purchasing the range resulting in replacement of controller and heating element. How about the oven stop working on Thanksgiving morning! I have purchased a $30 GE toaster oven as a backup but today I needed to use the stove oven, but it wouldn't turn on. Its a touch pad design no knobs. I placed the service call but there was no sense of urgency from Sears. They have my money for the stove and I have a useless appliance. It is insanity that a customer with four major service repair calls for a stove is still struggling with it this appliance Sears should replace the appliance but refuse because I have not had four service calls within the same year. I explained that I stopped using the oven and started using my 30 dollars GE toaster oven that is why I haven't had 4 calls within the same year. isn't it enough that I've had 4 service calls to repair major parts on a 1500 dollar oven not to mention a ruined Thanksgiving. I am wondering would their executives receive the same service that I have received I am just the customer.

cannot get my w2

I worked for this company in the past and signed up to get my W2 electronically. I can no longer access the site, as my password has become invalid.
When I try to contact them it is impossible and when I do reach someone they can or will not help me.
I had to file without it and want the world to know what a terrible place it is to work if you want to be able to recover your tax money.

unauthorized charge

I was attempting to order a refrigerator, washer/dryer combo and a riding mower online when my husband stopped me and wanted me to through a salesman at the local Sears store, so I told Darrell whom I was on chat with that we were going to order the items in store. He ask if I wanted him to save the order just in case. I told him that would be fine but not to place the order. When I explained to my husband that the items were cheaper online, he then decided that we should order online. However, when I went back to online chat I was told that Darrell wasn't available and that he couldn't have saved the order because they weren't allowed to do that and that I would have to go through it all again at which I said no thanks. It was just too trouble doing this on chat. So I called them on the phone and placed the order. The person on the phone informed me that I would be better off ordering all the items together and save a delivery charge. So I did and placed them on our Master Card. Originally, I was going to put the appliances on my Sears account and the riding mower on our debit card. Little did I know that Darrell had placed the original order without my authorization and not only that, but he had charged it all to our debit card. When I went to check my email the next morning I got a shock! There was a message from our bank that we were overdrawn by almost $4000.00 So I immediately got on the phone with Sears to resolve the issue. At which time I was informed that they had only charged our credit card and would have to research it and make sure that my bank account had been charged and if it had that they would credit it back.However, they said that this process would take 10 to 14 days. Well, that wasn't acceptable, not when we were missing almost $4000 So I told her that I wanted to talk with a supervisor and she put me on hold and so it began. I spent the next 5 hours being given the run around, hung up on, put on hold forever only to be hung up on. Being told that they had only charged our Master Card and hadn't charged our checking account and yet my bank was saying they had. Eventually they agreed that our checking account had been charged as well as our credit card, but said that they couldn't put back before a week, then 72 hours, then 48 hours and then 24 hours. I became so frustrated by the whole thing that I told them to cancel everything. I believe that Sears must have the worst customer service and customer relations in the world!

monica manager @ sheboygan wisc.

I have spent no less than 4 hours dealing with "one source" corporate "one source', called corporate chicago for management called nordic trak first of all. And finally by an unbelievable pleasant accident i spoke with a manager, at the mayfair mall (I believe it was that site) .
I had not heard back from the manager, however, i know he had a lot of information to review about my concern. Therefore, i telephoned "one source" to see if anything had transpired since my last contact with them and there was not.
On monday 2 / 18 / 13 monica at the sheboygan wisc store was extremely unhelpful. Did not care one bit about my feelings and did not ask if i had callled one source (Of which one other employee there said to me that they do not give out that telephone number) . She kept repeating herself and did not care about what i was trying to explain about the problem and why i felt the unit should be picked up at no charge. . . And i also indicated liability about using the trademill that i purchased on or about feb. 7th a wednesday. She said have service look at it. I said it was set up correctly and it will not workout for me because my feet walk on the front frame of the unit. One word that i said was bull ### and she said if that is the way you are going to talk i will not continue this conversation. After a few more times of her repeating her same statement and me saying that she isn't listening and doesn't care. She walked away and i followed her and stated "you mean you're going to walk away'? She said " call service" and i said, "why don't you call service for me and i pointed to the telephone number on my slip. I stated "what can they do for me"? She stated i don't know when your avialable, and walked away. I did say, if you don't help me i'll report this incident to the bbb of wisconsin and she said don't threaten me. I said it isn't a threat it is a viable company in wisconsin. She finally walked away from me and absolutely "nothing was resolved" then all of a sudden laurie and another lady who's name starts with "b" came by me and explained that the treadmill will be picked up from the milwaukee area on thursday the 21st. I will be called wednesday to determine the time. She had no idea about this solution. She definitely should not be in management for many reasons one especially for walking away from me with no resolution. I have never been treated that poorly in a customer service situation in my life and i am 59. Elizabeth neuser 2308 s 11th st. Manitowoc wi [protected].

pension buy out offer

I received a lump sum offer to buy out my pension, i figure to take it and make good on some debts... pay date was 12/01/2012 & funds to be received before or on 12/31/2012 .. guess what today is 02/18/2013 and no check received ... it's been stressful dealing with the pension center so many conflicting statements made .. we are now on check # 2 that was claimed sent but never made it to my address? So i tested the pension center requested a new pass code for online access received it in 3 business days .. wow miracle right !! we are now on our 3rd reissue request according to the pension center .. they have no proof a check was ever mailed out, they can't send it certified mail and no electronic deposit available..
Now my thoughts is why would a company as Sears would make up stories to delay payments? Seems like fighting lawsuits & class action suits is the only way to get honest answers.. Spending all these $$ in legal battle seems to be Sears down fall... A call to the Atty gen office shed so much light that I am not the only one that is being treated in this fashion by the Sears holding pension center ... Their actions are under review and as usual a class action suit may be in play soon.
So i'm on my 3rd reissue which i figure to take another 2 weeks this is ridulous

Resolved no action to resolve mattress issue

We purchased two Serta iComfort Mattresses a year ago, they have very extended warranty period of 10 or 15...

Resolved delivery... or non-delivery of washer & dryer

Recently my spouse and I purchased a Maytag washer and dryer from the Sears Home Store in Regina. Purchasing our appliances was not the issue, we had great help from the sales staff in the store, but when it came to the delivery, I have never ever had such terrible customer service!! My spouse called weeks in advance to have delivery set up for Friday, February 1, 2013. On Monday, January 28th, we recieved a call to confirm that someone would be home between 12pm and 5pm on Friday to receive our product. Nothing was delivered on Friday. After several attempts to reach someone who knew what happened to our delivery, the only response we could get was that there was a note on the file that said it was supposed to be delivered on February 1st, but then it wasn't going to be delivered until March 9!!! Over a month wait...and not even a phone call. We were supposed to have someone call us back to discuss some sort of compensation... that never happened.. we had to repeatedly call, only to get in touch with the most arrogant Sears representative who basically said they were not going to do anything for us. Needless to say, we will be cancelling our order. Unfortunately, I will NEVER EVER make a purchase from Sears again. Given their growing competitors, I highly recommend Sears takes a hard look at their Customer Service department and makes some improvement. Matter of fact, this was probably a good thing it happened because we found the exact same washer and dryer set at Leon's for three hundred dollars cheaper :)

Resolved BAD FAULTY PRODUCT

I PURCHASED AN ELITE SIDE BY SIDE REFRIDGERATOR WITH THE CRUSHED ICE AND WATER IN THE FREEZER DOOR. WITHIN A YEAR THE MOTOR ON THE ICE MAKER FAILED. IT WAS DAYS PAST THE WARRANTY. THE MOTOR ALONE WAS OVER $100.00. THE DRAWERS BRACKETS STARTED CRACKING AND BREAKING WITHIN THE SECOND YEAR.
THAT WAS 2004 CASH PURCHASE IN 2004 OF OVER $2, 200.00 AS I STILL HAVE THE RECEIPT. ALONG WITH THE OTHER ITEMS OF STOVE, DISHWASHER AND MICROWAVE HOOD FOR THE STOVE.
IN OCTOBER OF 2011 THE FRIDGE STOPPED WORKING AND WAS TOLD IT WAS THE COMPRESSOR THAT IS $600.00 FOR THE PART ONLY.
WAY TO GO SEARS!!! YOU CREATE JUNK AND WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANYTHING AGAIN. THIS IS JUST NOT ACCEPTABLE TO PASS TO YOUR CUSTOMERS THIS KIND OF JUNK. THAT UNIT WAS TAKEN CARE OF PROPERLY ALONG WITH THE REST OF THE APPLIANCES IN MY HOME. I CAN NOT JUSTIFY ANOTHER 600.00 PLUS SERVICE CALL TO A FRIDGE THAT IS SO BROKEN DOWN IN LESS THAN 7 YEARS.
BUYER BEWARE FOR SURE.

• SearsCare Feb 05, 2013

Karen Ybarra
    I came across your post today and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Social Media Support team. I am truly sorry for the troubles you have experienced with your refrigerator. We realize how important it is to have a working refrigerator in your home, as it stores your food, drinks and medicines. We do our best to make every service interaction both positive and memorable for our customers, and we do apologize for falling short of that mark in this instance. If you would allow us the opportunity, we would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to further discuss your experience and see what can be done to make things right. At your convenience please contact our office via email at [email protected] so you don’t have to be upset by this any longer. In the email please provide the best contact phone number or the number to which the refrigerator is listed under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. In addition, please include your screen name (Karen Ybarra) in the email for reference to your issue. Again, we’re sorry for any trouble we have caused and we hope to talk to you soon.

Sears Social Media Support

Resolved appliance sales delivery and service

Please see the complete text below for my complaint. I am still trying to deal with SEARS to return my money for an appliance installation that was not completed. I will never buy an another appliance from SEARS and I hope that you don't find yourself in the same situation. I have filed a formal complaint (see below) and have called the store two times asking for them to address the problem, with the response that "I should call back tomorrow". I received a form letter email from SEARS acknowledging my complaint and saying how they "Pride themselves on Customer Service" Pride themselves on customer service my foot. I don't think they know the meaning of customer service. Complaint below:

To whom it may concern:

I am writing you today to file a formal complaint regarding your appliance sales, service and delivery team. I should have probably launched this complaint over one and a half years ago, but until recently, I would have preferred to put the entire experience behind me and moved on. I purchased three appliances at Sears which were delivered to my new home in May 2011. I had such a bad experience with the delivery personnel, that it took me nearly one year to get the courage to buy the dishwasher for my kitchen. Nevertheless, I recently purchased a dishwasher again from Sears with complete assurance from the salesperson that I would not have another bad experience with Sears delivery and installation. I am writing today to complain that although the installation person was professional, he was still unable to deliver me the service that had been agreed to by the salesperson for the price I was quoted. Currently, I have a non-working dishwasher in my house with word from the Sears Appliance manager at the store that he will not allow the Salesperson to honour the price I was quoted.

Please, let me provide some background to my experience with Sears. In the spring of 2011, I purchased three appliances from Sears; A fridge, washer and dryer. I paid for delivery and removal of all appliances. In May, 2011, the delivery man arrived at my home and informed me that he was unable to disconnect the washer as it may cause a leak and they could not be held responsible. The man then asked me if “I had a husband or boyfriend that could do that for me, ” and when I replied no, he proceeded to hit on me the entire time that he was in my house. He did decide finally to disconnect the dishwasher after I tried myself and was unable because, “I was pretty” (of course it did cause a leak and I was required to have a plumber come into my house on an emergency call to fix the leak) .

He then proceeded to tell me that he was unable to remove the washing machine from my basement because it wouldn’t fit up the stairs. I have a very small basement, and because of this, I was forced to live with an old washing machine in my house for three weeks before the moving people came and were able to remove the washing machine (though they also did this for me because “I was pretty”). The delivery person did not also level the washer and dryer as they were supposed to do according to the terms of delivery. When the man came upstairs to unload the refrigerator, he insisted that he was unable to plug in the refrigerator since my plug at the time was not to code. At this point he proceeded to explain to me that he was very handy and that he should give me his number so that he could come by and fix some of the things in my house. This went on for about fifteen minutes and I did not press on getting the washing machine out of my basement because I just wanted him to leave my house. In fact, this old washing machine laying around continued to cause me problems because when the cable man arrived to install the cable, he informed me that his union did not allow him to move heavy objects, so he had to watch me move the washing machine so that he could complete his job.

In the end, I paid (I believe) $60 for a service that I did not receive, that being the install and removal of my washer and dryer, and also, I was emotionally traumatised by the series of events surrounding this purchase. So much so, that even though I finished my kitchen renovations in January of last year, I was physically unable to bring myself into an appliance store to purchase a dishwasher for my home.

Finally, in December, I decided enough was enough and that a house should not have a hole where a dishwasher should go for more than one year, so (having good experience with Sears in the past ...except for the delivery of my last appliances), I decided again to purchase a dishwasher from Sears.

When I spoke to the Salesman, I was surprised to finally realize how much I had been traumatised by this event, because when he suggested Sears could install my dishwasher, I nearly burst into tears right in the store. Nevertheless, he convinced me that it was not to be the delivery person that would come to my home but a professional installer, and I would not have the same experience this time. When it came time to pay for the dishwasher, he explained to me that the installation would be $175.00. I wanted to assure myself that this would be all, because frankly, all I wanted was that the person would come to my house, do their work, and leave. I confirmed with him that the electrical was roughed-in with wires and not a plug, and that there had never been a dishwasher in the house, so I didn’t know what the plumbing situation was. I wanted to confirm with him that that would be all, because as I said, all I wanted was it to be done quickly with as little stress to me as possible. I did not want any surprises. He suggested that I buy a hose “just in case” which I declined because I could pick one up at Home Depot probably for less money, and then confirmed that the $175 would include the installation and that I would not have a bad experience with Sears again.

Today the installer came and explained to me that my house was not properly plumbed for a dishwasher, that he didn’t have the equipment necessary, and that the cost of the plumbing had not been included in my quote. He was very professional, but he was not able to give me the service I had been led to believe would be provided. He called the manager at the St. Laurent store who confirmed to him that Sears would not be able to honour their commitment to me to install the dishwasher for the price quoted by the salesman. He suggested that I take up the matter with the salesman. I am now left with a dishwasher in my house that does not work, a likelihood that I am going to pay more money for something I had not planned on, and or be involved in a long battle with Sears for honouring their commitment to me. At the least, the simple and painless process which I had hoped and in fact pleaded for, has not occurred. I am now left with the battle with the salesman to honour his commitment, rescheduling a plumber and paying more money and missing more days of work, or hiring a plumber of my own and requesting that Sears reimburse me the $175 for an installation that did not occur.

Last time I did not request the reimbursement of the $60 as it seemed like too much work, but I assure you that this time I will not be paying Sears for a service that I did not receive.

I would like to ask Sears to honour their commitment to install my dishwasher for the price quoted and to try to salvage what is possible of a good relationship with their customer. If not, I assure you that this long-time customer will be one no longer.

• Ta
    Tayahangel Jun 20, 2014

Sears is the worst place to buy anything. I purchase a sleeper sofa to be able to stay with my daughter in Edmonton while I underwent cancer treatment. They promised that I would receive their best mattress not true. The mattress was very uncomfortable so I spoke to a gentleman Chris who was very pleasant and we made plans to return the set. It was returned May 14 2014. I paid $75 for the pick up. Well it is now June 20th and they sent me a cheque for $ 135.51 taking off the $75. for pick up making it so I paid twice for one pick up. The set cost me 1351.21 and the only sent a cheque for $135.51 and they have kept the remaining amount. Since I am on disability payments due to the cancer this has left me in a very difficult position! I would recommend that no one purchase anything from Sears as they do not stand by their products and when you return items they seem to feel it is ok to keep your money.
    I would also like to make a complaint against the woman I spoke to after Chris as she was extremely rude and felt the situation was humorous, I have never been spoken to in such a rude fashion. My advice to every one is to never purchase anything from their catalogs or there stores. Shop instead at Leon's as their service and merchandise is tops.Sears will never have my business in their stores or from their catalogs

Resolved failed to deliver chimney hood

I bought $4000 worth of appliances from sears 12/11/12 (chimney hood, garbage compactor, oven, cooktop) to be delivered on 12/21/12 (Made sure I get it for sure on that day, so that I can have my kitchen ready by christmas eve). They made a separate bill for the compactor, becaue they had some issues with their system. I also made sure that they put the delivery of the compactor with the rest, and they (sears sales) gave the instructions accordingly. I got a call on 21st dec early morning stating that my chimney hood is broken hence they cannot deliver it that day, and only on 30th Dec. I called the sales guy (he gave me his bus.. card), he tried to do some thing for me, but said sorry. I called the lady from the delivery dept.. (who called my on 21st morning), she said, 30th dec, I will receive the new one. I browsed through the internet and found the number for their complaint cell, called them and the lady gave me a complaint number, started telling me that things happen in life, we need to be readyto deal with them (opened my eyes :-) ) . She suggested that I can still have my christmas eve, without the chimney hood (Hmm, I didn;t know that I can cook on the new cook top without chimney hood :-) ). She offered me free installation (I had another bad experience before with sears installation), I promptly said no, requested my contractor to come back on 30th, who agreed for that and not charged me anything. I received the chimeney hood on 30th evening, installed it on 31st evening, Also, on 21st morning they delivered only the oven and cook-top (I was not home, my family got them), luckily, I came back just when the delivery people were about to leave, and I asked them what happened to my garbage compactor?, they mentioned they have only three items for me (out of which chimney hood is broken), and they don;t have any thing else. Upon my request they checked again and found my garbage compactor, After all the efforts to get all of them together, though it is the problem with the billing, I had to pay for it again (stress!!)

Some one from the customer dept.. called and left a message saying that Bernice (who took my compalint) is out of office, hence the call. complaint number 1187849. I called next day and left a message to Bernice about my complaint number, waited for 10 days, no one called.
I called on 18th Jan morning to see what they do with the complaint, she said, she is glad everything went good and closing the case. I asked If I get compensated for any thing (for all the trouble that I had to go through dealing with sears), answer was NO.
She asked me If have spent any extra money for installation, for which the answer was no (my contractor was nice enough, he didn;t charge me anything, that too working on 31st Dec.. till 6pm).
I asked if I can get compensated for all the trouble that I went through, answer was NO. and, they asked me to call If I see any issues in the future (not sure what issues??) I said I am completely disappointed with SEARS, she said, she is so sorry, that SEARS is loosing me.
I thought I will be offered atleast some discount on my next purchase or some gift card etc.. to keep me with sears, NOPE, they lost me. I am planning to buy a new refrigerator, need to look for another place.
Lesson I learnt was, don;t call their executive office and book a complaint, you we be stressed more.
Good bye SEARS !!

• Sears's response · Jan 23, 2013

RaoM,
    I am Liz and I am a member of the Sears Social Media Support Team. I saw your comment here and I wanted to reach out and apologize on behalf of Sears for the difficulties that have occurred with the delivery of your appliances. I can certainly understand your frustrations that you are expressing with the situation you have encountered. I will forward your post over to your case manager for review. Again, we’re sorry for any trouble or inconvenience this has caused you and your family.

Range Electrical Fire

My wife and I own a Kenmore Elite Dual Fuel Range, Model #790.7938... We purchased it as a wedding gift for each other on May 6, 2005. On Christmas morning (12/25/12) we were cooking muffins in the oven and heard popping and cracking from the kitchen. My wife and I ran to the kitchen and found black smoke and flames coming out from the back of the clock and electronics. I quickly turned off the oven and the flames stopped. I then turned off the circuit breaker too. We then pulled the oven away from the wall and turned off the gas. Now the oven is locked like it is self cleaning mode and we cannot open the oven door to get the muffin pans out. I am shocked to find that on this site alone there are over 12 users withe similar failure modes. I am a electrical engineer who designs circuit boards that operate high voltage and high current energy. This type of design failure is unacceptable and consumers should be warned of the inherent danger in these products. After reading this website and seeing how many people have this same failure mode my wife and I will also be contacting the contacting Consumer Product Safety Commission. As it was Christmas morning when this failed my wife and I gave thanks that we were home when it did so no one was injured and nothing other than the range was broken. Many time since we have reflected that one of the features we use routinely is the delayed start function, imagine if this failure mode happened one of the days we used this feature. We could have come home to our house on fire!

• Sj
    sjcasey Feb 09, 2013

Hello

My family had the exact same problem as you this evening. How did you resolve?
    How much? New Stove?

Steve

• Dt
    dtj2005 Feb 12, 2013

Steve,
    Steve,

We have had no resolution from Sears, in fact we are having difficulty getting Sears to communicate with us. After posting our story on this blog there was a blog post from Sears within 3 hours. That day we contacted Sears Social Media Support as directed (1/17/13). We heard nothing back. So on 1/22/13 we sent the same email again. No response. In one last attempt to chase Liz R from Sears Social Media Support down I sent the email again on 2/1/13. It has been almost two weeks and no response. Our next step is to try calling Customer Care Network at 1-800-549-4505. Our frustrations is growing since the communication is one-sided and we are met with no response. I will post more if something changes.

Jack Carter Jun 07, 2020

We have same model range (installed 2005) with an almost identical malfunction (in 2020). any updates on resolutions?

Resolved company ripped us off and damaged our hvac units

I would like to file a formal complaint against Sears Carpet and Air Duct Cleaning in Lorton, VA regarding...

they broke a part on my car

I went to Sears Auto Center in Ann Arbor, Mi on 1/11/13 at 11:30am EPA MIG000010302 FACILITY F-108110 for an...

Resolved free estimate?

In an attempt to have Sears come and give me an estimate on my bathroom tub, I have been screwed and lied to repeatedly. First, I was told my local rep. had tried to call me the previous day to confirm - since they didn't get me on the phone the appointment was cancelled. I went back through the missed calls - none of them from Sears local guy. So I rescheduled I need an estimate on my bathroom tub - I called them 24 hours ahead to confirm (not wanting to wait for them) - all is well. 4:00 on the morrow they will come and give my estimate on the bathroom. Not exactly. 8:45 P.M. a message is left on my answering machine telling me my "kitchen" appointment needs to be canceled because all they have available is a "bathroom" representative. When I tried to call back the offices closed at 9:00 P.M. I called at 9:00 A.M. spoke with a sweet girl named Kavika who was helpful but after calling the local team, called me back to tell me they would not be able to make it to my place. I am tired of the lies and the run around - don't even bother with Sears!

Sears Lies
    I came across your post today and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Social Media Support team. I am truly sorry for the troubles you have experienced with your appointment for an estimate. If you would allow us the opportunity, we would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to further discuss your experience. At your convenience please contact our office via email at [email protected] so you don’t have to be upset by this any longer. In the email please provide the best contact phone number or the number to which the appointment was under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. In addition, please include your screen name (Sears Lies) in the email for reference to your issue. Again, we’re sorry for any trouble we have caused and we hope to talk to you soon.

Resolved shoddy tire mounting

Purchased a tire, had balanced and mounted on November 2, 2012. From day one seemed out of balance. On January 9, 2013 was having car serviced at my usual statiion. Mechaniic noticed sound of something rolling around in this tire. I asked that it be dismounted to find source. Poorly qualified technician had thrown the tire on without looking inside. We found a complete valve stem and some round piece of metal loose in the tire. Apparently its a good place to dispose of trash not to mention add road hazard. So I then had the other from tire removed because it, also, had something inside. This tire had been purchased at Sears Auto Center, Fair Oaks, VA three years earlier. This tire was found to have a piece of the rubber bead of the tire about 4 inches long which had been torn off during mounting. Again, very shoddy workmanship. Do not have work done at Sears Auto Centers. Shoddy workmanship, slow, poor reviews. I will not shop Sears again! LS, Fairfax, VA

LloydS,
    Please accept our apologies for the level of customer service you have received from one of our Auto Centers. My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Social Media Support team. I saw your post and wanted to offer our assistance. I can see how frustrating to purchase a tire and it seemed to be out of balance. We would like to contact you and further discuss your recent experience. At your convenience please contact our office via email at [email protected] so you don’t have to be upset by this any longer. In the email please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the tire was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. In addition, please include your screen name (LloydS) in the email for reference to your issue. Again, we’re sorry for any trouble we have caused and we hope to talk to you soon.

JBHayes
    I saw your post here and wanted to offer some assistance. We do apologize for the level of customer service you have encountered with your battery. My name is Liz and I am with the Sears Social Media Support team. I can see how frustrating it is to receive poor customer while trying to rectify this issue. If you would allow us the opportunity, we would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to further discuss options and see what can be done to make things right. At your convenience please contact our office via email at [email protected] so you don’t have to be upset by this any longer. In the email please provide the best contact phone number or the number to which the battery was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. In addition, please include your screen name (JBHayes) in the email for reference to your issue. Again, we’re sorry for any trouble we have caused and we hope to talk to you soon.

• Jb
    JBHayes Jan 09, 2013

Doesn't surprise me...I just spent a total of 30 hours trying (finally successfully, ) to return a bad battery to them. Amazing that I can walk into any Walmart, Auto Zone, Kmart with a battery that hasn't made it to it's warranty limit, and it takes about 15 minutes to process and get me out the door. In this case, I had spent a few bucks shy of $900 on three of their top of the line Platinum batteries. These batteries were advertised as having a 48-month Free replacement warranty, which I'm sure accounted for the steep price on each unit. However, when I tried to take one back 11 months after purchasing it, I received nothing but grief. The first day, Sears Auto computer system was down, and they insisted that they could do nothing about my battery without the computer (even though I had all the receipts and paperwork received at the point of purchase.) As a result, I had to cancel an appointment to have my some maintenance work done on my RV (which the battery came out of.) The next day, I returned, and found that the computer system was up. I explained again that I was returning this battery for a new one, at which point I was told that they needed to charge and test it first. I said that was reasonable, but that they had already delayed me once with the computer glitch, and why couldn't they have done the charge/test the previous day? Didn't need a centralized computer system to do that. They had no answer, and got somewhat rude. I also explained that when I first discovered the dead battery, I had put a charger on it overnight (with no effect, ) and put another charger on it the following day (once again, no effect.) Furthermore, I informed them that I jump started the battery with my car, and then let it run for two hours on the RV. When I turned off the key, the battery was as dead as ever. Ergo, they probably weren't going to get it to charge. They guys just looked at me like I had a horn growing out of my forehead. Angry, I left them with the battery, after asking how long it would take them to determine that the damned thing wouldn't charge. They told me to check back in 6 hours. Meanwhile, I am still fighting the clock, since I have to be in Nevada, 2400 miles away from Cape Canaveral, in five days. They've already caused me one major delay, and now another. I really didn't want to go somewhere else and spend another few hundred on a new battery, when I felt that they owed me one, but I might be left with no choice. I returned to the house, and started emailing Sears outgoing CEO, Louis D'Ambrosio. I also contacted the store manager, and got the email for the District Manager. I copied them in on the email to Mr. D'Ambrosio. At 2:00pm, I waited a few minutes to see if the Auto manager would call me back, as he had promised. He failed to do so, so I called him at 2:10pm, and asked where we were. He told me the battery was still charging (63%.) I called him on his promise that they gave me a six-hour cutoff, then mentioned the correspondence with the retail manager, the district manager, and the CEO. He got very stiff over the phone, and then said something to the tune of: "Fine. Come back down, and I'll give you a new battery even though you haven't given us time to properly test this one." You could hear the indignation in the man's voice...like he was doing me a favor. I calmed myself and drove to the store. When I got to the pickup counter, the kid with the attitude that I had dealt with earlier came trudging out with my new battery in his hand. He actually dropped the thing on the ground next to me, hard enough that I checked to see if the fall had cracked the plastic (I was almost wishing the impudent little POS had cracked it.) He wouldn't look me in the eye, and fumbled around with his computer. The only words he said were, " that'll be $1.59 for the environmental fee." I almost laughed, since he was acting like he had been beaten, but was trying to save a bit of face by making sure I didn't get out of there without paying something...I told him in a calm voice that I had to go get some cash, since I wasn't going to put $1.59 on a credit card. I took the time to walk back to my car, grab $1.59 in change, walk back inside Sears, proceed to a salesgirl, and ask if I could buy three rolls of pennies. She complied. I headed back to the Auto section with my 3 rolls of pennies and 9 cents...cracked open the rolls on his desk, so that the 150 pennies formed a nice pile, picked up my battery, and headed for the door. I did happen to mention that "he could keep the change, " as I was on my way out. I will never shop at a Sears again in my life. Just sayin!