Complaints & Reviews

repair schedule

I purchased a Sears refrigerator as a wedding present for my son 4 years ago. Now at the end of the warranty period (compressor has a 5 yr warranty on this model), it went out. Called and was given a repair date 2-1/2 weeks out but was left with no choice since it was a warranty item. They have a newborn and a 2 year old - Sears didn't care anything about circumstances and they were given a Sept 9 date. At 4:30 on that date, today, they were called to say repair would be rescheduled to September 25. I called the Customer Service line and people listen but do not seem to care. We were told to call on Monday and see when they could come. I will never purchase anything from Sears again nor will I frequent their stores. I am fed up

• Fr
    Frank Mann Dec 11, 2007

I had to have my lawyer send them a letter to get their service people moving. I purchased an oil furnace from Sears and purchased the full service contract. Well the thing died in the dead of winter. I had two elderly people in the house, one terminally ill. After days of living in front to the fireplace and space heaters, and calls; It took a threat of legal action to get their attention. They sent in a repair person from out of state. They didn’t have anyone in the state to service the unit. How do you sell a service contract and not have the personal to honor the contract?

I set up an appointment to have the TV serviced today and the guy was a no show. I call the service line and was told, they had no record to the appointment. So it must have been a dream, that conversation I had with the service department last week.

Sears is not the company my mother knew and loved. They are so busy cutting the bottom line. Their service personal are leaving for better paying companies. I will never buy another big ticket item from Sears.

• Er
    ericka Dec 30, 2007

for the first lady .... sears schedules their appointments as a first come first serve basis, the only time they'll make an exception on refrigerators is when it stores medication for a sick person. if u have the contract u can rent a refrigerator, save the paperwork and u'll get reimbursed. now for the second lady, i agree with you, what SEARS did was wrong. the heater is what they consider an HVAC unit, those are indespensible especially w/ the elderly. theres a department in sears where they handle escalated calls such as yours, it's named TSRT ... u need a complaint first ... but once you reach them they'll do anything to help you.

as an ex-employee of sears i can stand behind their service, its just a matter of people reading terms and conditions, understanding the magnitude of service they provide, AND understanding the fact that if their appliance doesnt get fixed or the technician doesnt arrive it's because of his work ethics. these tech's go through special training and NEED to use it, so if people dont complain against these tech's useless then they'll continue providing poor service.

I will never buy anything from sears

I called Sears about windows, they sent a guy out and I ask him how much for 17 widows to be replaced. The...

customer service at sears leaves something to be desired!

Today I found a tool set on the Sear.com website. Shortly after 10:00 I phoned the local store to see if they had this tool set in stock at the store so I could shop locally. My first complaint is that the automated phone system is NOT user friendly! My second complaint is that when I specified which department I wanted, it rang... and rang...and rang... (you get the idea)...NO ONE answered and it put me back to the automated system to start over again! AAAARRGG! I tried dialing a direct phone number to the department I wanted...and you guessed it, same thing, no answer, blah, blah, blah. I finally go an operator at one point who transferred me and THE SAME RESULT!! So I called another non-related department who hand carried a cordless phone to the tool department. I finally found out that, no, they didn't have the tool set I wanted in the store, but I could order it online. Shees! One simple question turned into a half hour of my time wasted. Customer service at Sears (at least in Salem, Oregon) leaves something to be desired!!

• Valerie Nov 27, 2006

SEARS DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU AND HAS INCOMPETENT WORKERS. I bought a BOSCH dishwasher from SEARS. The dishwasher has broken after only three years. It is very obvious that the motor that pumps the water out is broken. I called SEARS service and made an appointment for the following week to have a service man come to fix it. They said that they would be there between 12 and 5. I took the afternoon off from work and waited only to get a call at 4:30pm that they were stuck in traffic and could not make the appointment. I had to call the service center back and reschedule for the following week. This time they were to come between 9 and 12 so I took the morning off. At 11 I get a call that they will not be at my house because the service truck has broken down and I needed to reschedule for the following week. AT this time I thought I was on candid camera, I was furious and told the scheduler how I felt and she said she would have customer service call me. I NEVER GOT A CALL, EVER! The following week a sears service man came as scheduled to inform me that the pump was broken a new one was to be ordered and he would come back in 10 days. I recieved the part directly and the service man arrived 10 days later which was 5 days before Thanksgiving. He opened the box with the part in it and said "oh boy, this isn't what I ordered they sent the WRONG PART" I was in shock, you can't be searious! I told him I had 20 people coming for 3 days to my house for Thanksgiving and after washing dishes for over a month I was not going to have a dishwasher. I called sears and they said they would call me back. I NEVER GOT A CALL. I emailed Sears and all I got was a form letter reply. I had to buy a new dishwasher that I don't like. I want my old one fixed ( which sears told me was 5 years old and Bosch told me was 3 years old like I thought). Unfortunately for sears I just bought 20,000 in appliances for a new vacation home and they lost out on that sale. I have since gone in to the store to let them know that I never got a call back from the appliance manager and guess what, I NEVER GOT A CALL BACK!

noobcycle Nov 23, 2007

so lets get this straight hmmmm you call a store and what ??? they are just sitting there waiting for you to call?????? u think this world revolves around you????? its because of lazy people like you that companies cut payroll dollars and try to automate everything in the first place one simple question you say yea thats right your one simple question in the good old days was get off your ### and go shopping !!!! browse the store ask all the quesation you want in person ! wow what a concept! no instead you expect the employee's to drop whatever customer they are with in the store who isnt lazy and talk to you on the phone ??? ya people like you is why the automated phone system was invented to IGNORE YOU (: HAHAHAHAHA

Chris Aug 08, 2008

Wow. Instead of wasting the half-hour on the phone with an automated phone system (which, if you actually LIVE in the 21st century you'd understand NEVER works), why not drive your car over to the nearest Sears store? Mhmm?

• Ji
    Jim Sep 23, 2008

Whaaaa, I am a big baby! I can't wash dishes by hand. If you can afford a vacation house the why don't you get a maid... better yet have the kids do them.

• Cr
    Cremy03 Dec 19, 2008

I agree that sears phone system is flawed. I worked there for two years and don't bother with the automated system as it doesn't really work, no matter what department you say you always go to the operator phone. The operator is just a low level manager who can't always answer. Even with a departmental transfer, there are not always employees in a department, and many times there is only one employee there as sears is a fairly slow retailer without a ton of business. When I worked as a salesman I knew I would rarely walk away from a customer to answer a phone, as to that alienates the customer who is right there right then. I understand the pain, but it is not necessarilly the fault of the employees.

• Wi
    WIGGLY DICK Jan 06, 2010

### SEARS STRAIGHT TO THE POINT

• Er
    Ernie Hutson Jun 25, 2010

To Sears Customer Service Dept. I have a Sony Wega TV. I have an upto date service contract convering this tv. I called in for service and repair. Service man came out and checked the code and ordered corresponding parts. They arrived the day the tech was to be there to install. After installing the part another code showed up so part was ordered. Shown to be in stock. Day of service mans return received phone call part was not available so oldpart removed from tv to be sent in for rebuild.

1st service was Jun 10, 2nd service date was Jun 16, third service date Jun 24. Service man stated it will probably be 2 weeks before part is returned. I received a call today Jun 25 that it will be the middle of July before serviceman is scheduled to return to fix the tv. Over a month of watching the backend of my tv waiting for parts to fix it instead of watching the front of tv. It has already cost Sears over a thousand dollars to fix a tv that still doesn't work and all I see is the backend of it.

Serviceman has been a good worker, but his hands are tied due to parts unavailability.

Thanks a lot sears.

E Hutson

• Ca
    carroll2010 Sep 18, 2010

@RishaDeary, Risha you don't even work. you didn't take the day off twice, you had 2 willing and able children and your nieces and nephews up for thanksgiving they can be your dishwashers

kenmore deep freezer

My husband and I purchased a deep freezer from the on line Sears Store in March 2006. On the morning of June 23, my husband went out and noticed there was water on the garage floor coming from underneath the deep freezer. When he opened it up, he discovered that not only was the food not frozen, but it was rotten. Apparently the deep freezer had not been operational for at least a day, but we had no way of knowing it because the power light was still on.

I call Sears Service on June 24 in the morning, and the nightmare began. They first told me that it would cost me $59 for a service call. I corrected them on that because ti says in the manual for the deep freezer that it is under manufacturer warranty for one year with no service fee. The supervisor ( yes it had escalated to one at this point because I was not happy with the first agent I had spoken to. ) The supervisor prompted to tell me that someone would be out Wednesday. I advised him that it would have to be Thursday because I was already off that day and could not take Wednesday off. He told me that I had no choice that it would be Wednesday because of where I lived and that I would have to live with it. Trying to remain calm, I told him point blank that was nothing more than discrimination because of where I lived ( I live in a small town south of Wichita, Kansas) and that Sears did not have a problem delivering it a convenient time for me , so I didn't see why this was such an issue. We went back and forth and the conversation ending by the supervisor ( his name was Lawrence) stating that he would see what he could do and would call me on Monday, and that if he could not get any other day we would get it scheduled for the following Friday.

No call came on Monday, so I called on Tuesday June 27Th, and the real nightmare began. After 3 phone calls and a wasted lunch break, much to my surprise, there was a service call scheduled for the following day. I tried getting it changed to another day, but they refused, saying it had to be that day.

Fortunately, my husband was able to get off work. But this in itself was an inconvenience to his employer, because they were under mandatory overtime and really could not afford to lose him for an entire day. Not only that, but Sears stoutly refused to give me anything but a window of 9am to 5pm. I again told them that this was unacceptable. They were inconveniencing us and my husband's employer, and that the least they could do was to give me a smaller time span. After going back and forth with this , ( yet again another wasted lunch break) they finally told me that we were third on the list, and that he would be there about noon.

The repairman arrived and quickly discovered the problem. A connector linking wires to the thermostat had disengaged. He went on to say that it was in fact faulty workmanship that was at issue because it was not put together properly at the factory. The repair man also attempted to make a claim for the food that was lost. Sears promptly denied that. My husband called me and told me that it was repaired, and that the claim had been denied. At this point, I had had it with them. I called the service number yet again and asked to speak to a supervisor. Four phone calls later, I still had not spoken to a supervisor. I was told :

1) that there was no supervisor
2) that they were in a meeting
3) that they did not have supervisors in that department
4) I stayed on hold for so long that I got a recording telling me to hang up because my transfer would not go through.

Needles to say, I was irate and angry at this point. I called the Executive Offices of Sears, and the nightmare got worse. I was told that a claim could not be made for the loss because it had to be made under the extended warranty. I explained to her that was not possible to do because the deep freezer was still under manufacturer warranty and that I had been advised that the extended warranty was not applicable until one year had passed from the purchase date. All I wanted was compensation for the food that we lost. Through a lengthy, aggravating conversation, I explained that I had been:

- lied to
- given absolutely nothing but the run around
- inconvenienced in more ways that I could count ( this including the fact that I had to go to the store every day for portions of that nights dinner because I no longer had the space to store frozen food for 2 adults, 2 teenagers and an 11 yr old)
- my husband lost time from work, and had to use the last of his vacation time

Sears offered nothing more that what amounts to a slap in the face. A $20 gift card.. Yes, a $20 gift card, which by the way, I was advised, I would have to use at the store in Wichita because it was not usable on line. I firmly advised the representative, that she could keep her gift card because I, my family, nor my extended circle of friends, had any inclination to set foot in a Sears store again.

Someone from Sears contacted my husband the week of July of 3rd, with nothing more than an attempt to keep our business. At point, she explained that claims of this nature had to be made against the manufacturer.

I returned from a week long business trip on July 9Th. I attempted to do a web search to do just what she suggested, contact the manufacturer. Every contact source leads right back to Sears, and quite frankly I'd rather not repeat the nightmare all over again.

All I'm asking for is compensation for the food that was lost. $300.. that's all.. $300.
But you would have thought that the amount was the yearly operating budget for this company based on their reaction. And that is just not right.

Sincerely,

Cara

• Te
    tech Jan 01, 2009

In canada the maintenance agreement (service contract) cover losses the term of the contract and includes the first year.
    hmmmmmmm

sears catalogue, sears card and other discriminating stuff

I purchased through your Sears catalogue, picked up the item, paid for it, then proceded to try it on. Upon neither of the two items purchased fitting, I then returned them to the counter, same day, didn't even leave the store. Upon being reimbursed the sales clerk informed me that there was a $2.00 handling charge. However, prior to paying for the item I was asked if I would like to get a Sears card, and have $10.00 off the purchase, and then was informed that if I had a Sears card that I would not have to pay for the handling charge. Also, if I had a Sears card, I could have the purchases sent to Lorraine Ave Depot, where I could walk from my home and pick it up. I had a Sears card for years, so therefore, I never knew about these things, I find it very discriminatory, that I would be forced to have a Sears card in order to have purchases sent closer to my home, and also not to have to pay for handling charges, isn't it the same amount of work to put packages together and load them onto a truck whether or not it is on a Sears account or not? I feel that you are forcing people to have an account with Sears in order to be served to their best interest, and also that my cash money isn't good enough. Also, I find it odd that your department won't put stuff back onto your debit card when returning a purchase, and I had to take the refund back in cash, good thing it wasn't a $5,000.00 dollar purchase! I am very upset over this whole situation, so much so, that I will probably never purchase anything from your department again. Also, I will recommend to my family and friends, and co-workers that they do the same, unless they want to continue having a Sears account or wish to purchase one.

Nelza

Kitchener ON N2B 2N2

Maureen Gormley Mar 17, 2007

I have just ordered some summer clothes from the catalogue I have not been able to go out due to a nasty bug and I will need these clothes to go away in 2 weeks the person taking the order ( Name Maureen) questioned me in an unfortunate manner as to why I was ordering so many pants and could I not go out into the stores to try these things on as Sears was cutting back on returns. I told her that was not this the purpose of the catalogue to enable you to shop at home. Yet she still pursued her conversation re shopping at the store. I told her I was unable to go out. I have been a Sears customer since 1977 and have never been spoken to in this manner before. Regardless where I make my purchase at the store or catalogue Sears is still getting my money. Maybe a little word in Maureen's ear before she turns off another customer.

• Na
    Nancy Lopez Oct 27, 2008

I have a sears credit card, and i'm paying and paying and i don't see my account going down. They charge me late fees when i pay on time. They told me that they couldn't do anything. They charge a late fee of $36.00 that's crazy.

• Ng
    ngiddy Mar 20, 2010

It is Sears policy to return the money in the form that it was paid, with the exception of checks. That's odd that they only gave you cash because when I worked there they did not give cash back for anything unless you originally paid in cash.

And the poster above me, Check your percentage rate that may be why your balance is not going down. Also, look at the statements. They do not have a set date that the payments are due. Months have a different number of days and the billing cycle just goes by a certain number of days, so you may have a few months where the due date is a few days earlier than usual. If you call them AS SOON as you are late, you may be able to work something out with them. They have programs to drop the interest rate for a certain amount of time in exchange for closing the account in the meanwhile. BUT they will only negotiate with you if you are late. That's the catch. They bumped my interest rate to 29.99% and I had a $3, 000 balance. There was NO way I was going to be able to pay that off. I called them right after I was late and they dropped my interest to 0% for one year and took off my late charges. They do have different programs at different times, but the trick is to get to where you are late, or they won't work with you.

ridiculously unsafe craftsman lawnmower

On 05-19-06, Ii purchased a Craftsman LT100 riding lawnmower. I used the mower twice w/o incident. On the...