Scotts Lawn Servicescotts lawn service is crooked

T

I actually worked for Scotts Lawn Service, located in Runnemede, NJ. Scotts has been around for years and have built their brand name. However, having worked for the company, I've seen the inside scams that Scotts Lawn Service operates on. Scotts Lawn Service is run by individuals empowered by greed, authority and manipulation. I've witnessed how Scotts Lawn Service hired many individuals off of the street, with no certifications or professional backgrounds, to provide lawn care for hundreds of paying and loyal customers. I also witnessed how some of the technicians would "ghost" a customers lawn. When I use the term "ghost, " I am referring to when a technician pretends to provide service on a customers lawn (whether the customer was at home or not) and deceptively leaves them a bill! I found this outrageous, as there were tons of calls from customers wondering why weeds were still growing on their lawns, their lawns were dying and turning brown, or even new problems would surface on their lawns. Scotts Lawn Service denied many refunds, credits, corrective services, etc, to deserving customers who DID NOT get what they were paying for.

The management staff running Scotts Lawn Service knew what was taking place, yet they sat by idlely and watched as customer service battled with upset customers, while throwing the "Service Agreement" in the customers' faces and quoting things that the customer did not really understand to begin with. All every customer wanted, was a good-looking, green lawn, like Scotts Lawn Service promised in the beginning through deceptive advertising.

Overall, many customers who trusted Scotts Lawn Service, where cheated out of their money. And, in this rough economical time, the last thing anyone needs is "lawn care." I witnessed, first-hand, how greedy and "shady" of a company Scotts Lawn Service has become. I sincerely hope that they are put out of business for their lawn care scams.

There was even a case that was conducted by the EPA, which identified Scotts Lawn Service as not properly registering some of their lawn care products. The staff at the Scotts Lawn Service branch in Runnemede, NJ, were told to follow a script to persuade customers that there was no real concern. Consequently, working for the company, I knew that there was something wrong.

The actuality of the EPA situation, was that Scotts Lawn Service formulated a harsher chemical to try to deal with some lawn issues, as a result of some ineffective products. Scotts intentionally did not register the product(s) in an attempt to "test" their effectiveness on lawns. Scotts was hoping that they would not get caught... but they did. However, they found a legal way to elude the accusation against them.

For all those who use Scotts Lawn Service, I suggest you leave them now because they are simply stealing your money. They do not care for lawns the way they used to years ago and they have a staff of people who do not care. All they seem to care about is money, and the staff of Scotts Lawn Service are trained to get you to believe whatever they want. I no longer work for Scotts Lawn Service and I am grateful. To this day, I believe that the Scotts Lawn Service branch in Runnemede, NJ continues to operate this way.

Consequences:

After the EPA issue was discovered, all of a sudden many customers were calling the Scotts Lawn Service office where I worked, to complain about their lawns being "burnt-looking." Lawns were said to be completely dead, after they were better off before they were treated by Scotts Lawn Service.

The unregistered Scotts Lawn Care products seems to have destroyed many lawns throughout the Delaware Valley. The Scotts Lawn Service branch located in Runnemede, NJ was even receiving calls from customers of the Scotts Lawn Service branch in Delaware.

The customers calling from Delaware, were complaining about the same things and the staff of the Delaware branch were evading calls and sending them to Runnemede, NJ, where the scam was to be addressed. The management staff knew exactly what was going on and were only focused on protecting the company's assets, rather than doing the right thing for it's loyal and dedicated customers.

For customers of the Scotts Lawn Service branch, located in Runnemede, NJ, here is a set of individuals to contact to cancel your service or address your concerns:

Serina Miller - Customer Service Supervisor

Josh Willey - Branch Manager

James Boughton - Field Supervisor

I sincerely hope that the information that I've provided helps stop the consumer scamming from Scotts Lawn Service.

• Go
    goomba1982 Apr 17, 2014

I worked for scotts lawn service in rochester ny and saw many of the same things mention by the writer here. The management does not care about the employees or their families at all they will say and do whatever it takes to make everybody believe otherwise. I was fired due to a week long battle with bronchitus and a doctors note 2 weeks after I came back due to supposed job abandonment. The sales people on the phone will tell and promise you many things over the phone to get a sale and hit their weekly quota. The goals at scotts are all money based and based off of a 10 hour day so they could pay you chinese overtime and scam you while they still collected fat paychecks, bonuses and company vehicles which are also used for personal use. Having been in the industry for almost 10 years now I know they are the highest priced company there is easily for any kind of service. Many times I was told to do applications of weed control in the rain and was told to tell customers it would work which is one of the many things I feel awful for. Also if you do call scotts most of the time it is redirected to the call center where somebody from out of state tries to handle your problem which most of the time they are uncapable of. I am now working for a highly respectable well managed and ran company that is locally owned but the biggest in the area due to the outstanding service we are allowed and able to provide for customers. To wrap this up anybody that says they work at scotts on this board dont take very seriously cause they have to protect their reputation and do yourself a favor dont call trugreen either theyre even worse call a big local company that usually knows the area egronomically much better which will allow them to provide you with a better program and service. Search scotts lawn service class action lawnsuit to see more about these awful people

biggodogg Apr 14, 2014

I work for scotts in sfl and planning on moving back to new york. My question is what is the salary in new york?

joeohio Feb 06, 2014

Scotts doesn't pay employees for overtime hours. They have a lot of pending lawsuits but apparently they would rather pay their lawyers to fight there own workers lol. Pretty sick if u ask me. Chinese jobs are now in America. The government could care less

• Sh
    shirleesson Jan 24, 2014

Scotts has a filter in their IS system that enables them to filter out undesirable "blacklisted" employees from potentially being hired. In these cases, a person's established user name will work, but their password mysteriously will not work. When that person attempts to re-set their password, they'll receive the following security question..."WHAT IS THE NAME FOR THE 2ND FULL MOON IN THE SAME CALENDAR MONTH?"...The answer to this question of course is "blue", or "blue moon". Those who have usernames on Scott's I.S. blacklist will never be able to answer this because neither answer works. And if they call the 888 Scotts helpline number to find help with that security question, the very nice customer service people will steer them toward a myriad of VM's, all of which never return phone calls. At the minimum, Scott's is guilty of gawd awful customer service. At the most, Scotts could be guilty of discrimatory hiring procedures. In business, communication is everything. Now the ball's in your court, Scotts.

• Le
    Leo100 Nov 09, 2013

I just got hired from scotts in 2013 in conneticut, I have a landscape background. while working for them I learn so much from scotts lawn care it is a great job and you get 2 weeks training before you go on a customers property, also you have to be certified before using any chemicals. The technicians are very experienced, I am glad I work for them. Every time I go to customers house I always think like it was my own lawn and do all my best to take care of it. If you don't the have your clients you don't have a job. Salary is good and I just think if you can't keep up with the paste of work you just lazy a complaining like the guy who wrote the complaint about scotts.

• Pi
    pissedoffwife! Oct 11, 2013

I could not agree with this complaint more! My husband took the job at Scott's just to get by until the job position he's been waiting for started in a highly reputable union which is hard to get into. With that being said, within 2 weeks of working for Scott's, he had chemical burns all over his feet and ankles because they didn't give him the proper footwear. He also worked from 6-3/4 M-F and most Saturdays. They didn't pay overtime and when you look at the numbers, it was barely $7/hour. There was a lawsuit filed against them because of the no overtime pay. It's illegal! They are labor workers! Not agricultural! These men are worn out and never get to spend time with their families because of the head honcho who is money hungry. My husband worked his tail off every day. When he was out sick or with me and our son at the hospital when our 2 year old spiked a very high fever, they gave him grief. He went to work with the flu and made up for any time he needed off. He always met his goal. Even when it was pouring outside! (Yes, they worked in the pouring rain as long as there was no lightning. Newsflash: When it rains, it washes away all of the work! Even I know that!) This job was nothing but a nightmare! They also let my husband go without any inclination or reasoning. When asked why, the response was "the boss doesn't want him here anymore." Real professional, right? This company is the worst I've ever seen. Overworked and underpaid. I've never been so disgusted in my life.

• Sc
    scotts is very bad Jun 12, 2013

I to worked at Scott's as a salesman. I also worked for Trugreen as a sales rep. And I know what really goes on in the upper ranks of management. Those folks are dirty, devious and just outright bad. If you only knew how unethical management is, you would vomit. And I have documented facts to back me up. However I have no need for revenge or payback, because I am secure in my salvation. I do not wish hell on anyone but no one can escape their own inevitable judgement day.

chrisbcd May 24, 2013

Handsome B Wonderful poster is a TROLL a low life loser who regularly posts to provoke people.

Not Scotts May 23, 2013

I had given instruction to Scotts that I needed advance notice of when they planned to perform service as I need to put my dog up so they can gain access to the back yard. The back yard is the majority of my property. Needless to say they came without notice serviced the front yard and never serviced the backyard. I contacting them immediately that I was not going to pay until they performed the whole service and I needed notice of when they would be there. After many phone calls, the best they could do was give me prior day notice but could not committ to a window of time, hence my dog would be locked in the house all day. Terminex and TrueGreen have no problem handling my request for notice. They kept wanting me to pay for the service and some time in the future they would actually do the service. I finally reached the point of cancelling, told them I would not pay the full price they came back with a 25% credit of the invoice. 75% of my yard was not treated, why should I pay 75% of the invoice.

• La
    Lawn guy 1234 Nov 16, 2012

This original post is a total fabrication from a person who was let go for good reason. I have worked in the Runnemede ScottsLawn service branch for 6 years and was trained well and always treated with respect. Lawn care is tough and we don't always get it 100% right but we really try. It is hard to read that when I know what a great place this is to work and how hard we try to do what is right at all times.

Johnbnic Sep 11, 2012

I had Scotts Lawn Service AND their Tree and Brush service. One Monday, the Tree and Brush Service people came - left their little sign in the yard and invoice on the door as usual. I got a computer-call that Wednesday saying that Scotts Lawn Service would be out in the next 2 days to do my lawn. They did NOT show up, but I got a bill saying they had!!! I know that they did NOT show up - the kid probably saw the scott's sign that the tree and brush service left and felt he could get away with it. My lawn has been terrible this year, even though I watered A LOT more than I normally use to. Needless to say...I will never use Scott's service again, nor will I ever buy their products!!! I live in Weber County in Northern Utah.

• Ri
    Ripped and scammed Jul 04, 2012

I am a current customer who is going to cancel my service. I've been a Scott's customer for 4 years. My lawn is a carpet of weeds, despite purchasing every service they recommended. It has been long in coming but I finally realized I was simply being scammed and I was too stupid to see it. The final insult came from my neighbor, who was home early and saw the Scott's truck arrive. He said once the driver decided I was not home, he placed a marker on my lawn saying service had been accomplished. Then he drove away -- he was there less than two minutes. I called the company and they strongly denied it -- of course. Most other lawns on my street look much better than mine. The secret is they did all the work themselves, where I decided to let "professionals" do it.

• Yo
    you been warned Jun 09, 2012

I been at scotts for a while (great lakes region) and they are a very dishonest company. The managers are uneducated jokes that flex their power when the "owners" are around. We have goals to hit every day that make it impossible to do with out taking short cuts. The "licensed tech" simply is a issued license that says you passed the states exam. The state exams are only on knowing how to apply chemicals (not actual lawn knowledge). If you live on a border state, and one state requires no phosphorus, your both not getting phosphorous; which helps roots systems. A shop with about 8 techs, 3 may be knowledgeable. We are not "trained" techs; and yeah "ghosting" is common practice. The greatest lines at scotts is "give it two-three weeks" and "your neighbors lawn looks greener because your seeing it at an angle". Most diseases is caused by scotts practices. During the height of the growth season you only get weeds killer, no fertilizer. So by your third visit (June) your lawn is hurting for nitrogen (11 weeks in between feedings). Due to the lack of feeding and the hot/humid weather, your lawn will inevitably get "red thread" and/or "summer patch". Good luck trying to cancel; they know you want to cancel but will not cancel you out. They will keep sending tech's out to do your lawn and then throw you into collections. Grub Ex, is their biggest scam of all. You pay double for it; which is already premixed into the bag of fert. Then you pay for your third round visit. So, say your normal bill is $50 (average 4-5000sq ft lawn), by the time the tech gets done pushing your lawn one time (remember its premixed grub and fert) your bill is $150. Now, a bag of fert costs $15; with grub control $20. Here is the kicker, your lawn is only getting 13-18 lbs of that 50lb bag. Off that one bag they could make 100's of $$$. The guarantee is us simply taking seed and putting it on your hardened dirt and dead grass; no we dont rake it out and then apply the seed. No, we do not bring fresh dirt and apply starter fert on it. Which brings brings me to the aeration and seeding. The guarantee is the same thing; spot doesn't come in throw seed on the hardened dirt. Oh, and you don't get starter fert with your seeding, only whatever fert they are apply at that part of the season. Now, for the gand daddy of them all "YOU DONT ALWAYS GET SCOTTS PRODUCTS'. The first couple hundred customers get scotts (do to franchise having to buy so many bags), the rest get whatever is cheapest to buy. So, they rag on trugreen (which isn't any better or worse, just different name) when they do the same thing. Want to see a tech sweat, ask to see the bags on every service; bet out of 6 services maybe 2 will be scotts products. P.s scotts products is NOT the best; Anderson's is. If you live close to a shop, you get the worst of the techs, they seem to keep them closest. I feel sorry for the customers, but business is business when dealing with big companies. Bottom line, Scotts sucks, their practices are dated and sucks, and their uneducated managers suck. You been warned...

AnneG74 May 07, 2012

I live near Orlando Florida and I fired Scott's over a year ago and since then, there hasn't been a brown spot on my lawn, massive amounts of weeds or red ant hills. I gave them multiple chances to correct the issues I was having with my lawn for more than 2 years before I fired them off and handed over the job to my lawn service for an extra $20 a month. (so yeah, I save money AND my lawn looks 100% better!) I finally had enough when I called them about the SEVEN red ant hills in my front yard. It took the local manager several days to call me back and a week after that to get someone back out here to spray them (and charge me extra!!!). Now however Scott's calls my house several times a month trying to drum up business. It doesn't matter how many times I've told them to loose my number, stop calling me, or threaten to report them to the FCC or BBB.. they continue to call my house and pester me sometimes as late as 9 pm. I am so sorry that I ever called them to begin with 3 years ago. For those that have had a great experience with them, I am truly happy for you and glad you found a great one in your area.. but do not doubt for an instant that there are bad ones out there just like any other place... and boy oh boy, did I found ours.

• Si
    silverone1 Apr 30, 2012

I too am very dissatisfied with Scotts Lawn Service. I have dead grass in my yard from the technician doing the tree and shrub treatment. Where ever the solution hit the grass, it is dead. I have trails around the the yard where they went from tree to tree..
    It is hard for me to believe they can do a quality job when they are here for 10 to 15 minutes and treat the whole yard or spray trees and shrubs, and then charge $70.00 for this short time of work. I have cancelled the service and will never recommend this company to anyone.

billblue36 Feb 20, 2012

I agree my lawn was shot...They stink...Runnemede blows and they are ignorant

Comments

billblue36 Oct 19, 2011

I agree Scott Lawn really is bad, customer service is horrible..The Runemede NJ division is the worst which I dealt with..I have nothing but problems on my lawn since they started, they put chemicals down that they were not suppose to in the heat and said they were sorry after it burnt out my entire lawn..The whole mgt team is ignorant as well, I told them to stop treating my lawn until someone can come check out and check the problems that i have and and the just canceled me without coming out or even calling me...All cowards everyone of them...Look at the picture..Crazy...Stay away from them they are no good better off yourself...SCOTTS LAWN IN RUNNEMEDE NEW JERSEY SUCKS

Comments

• Eg
    EGreco Aug 09, 2011

I'm filing with the BBB. Scott's is calling for their money and won't acknowledge our complaint. The customer service won't do anything and said it's not their "department". So who handles this? Ridiculous!

• Gj
    gju Aug 08, 2011

I contracted my lawn fertilizer maintenance with Scotts. The initial quote they gave me was not good enough, so to lure me their salesperson Jim M - suggested that he will apply a referral discount because he was servicing our neighbors. When I called to make the payment (after about 2 months and 2 service calls later), the customer services refused to honor the referral. Jim, the salesperson, refused to speak to me and through a customer service rep, passed on a message that he was only looking at new sales and anything after the sales was handled through cust services - so much for building a loyal client. The cust service guy - Eljay was totally rude. I did complain to their corporate but letting ppl know my experience.

• Do
    dohboy Aug 08, 2011

I just recently signed up for lawn treatment with this exact Scotts company.. I wish I had read this board before I did that! My neighbor had been using Scotts for years so I just called up to try them out. Never thought to check into their background further. All I can say is that the dead patches on my lawn are actually growing crabgrass now... so atleast i wont lose more soil down the sewer due to erosion. But I have no idea how to confirm I received what I ordered and paid for.

• Eg
    EGreco Jul 22, 2011

Well, I am NOT a tech, nor did I ever work for Scotts Lawn Care company. What I do know and what I will testify first hand is that this is the WORST company with the worst customer service. Our Lawn was ruined by Scotts and we have nothing but burn grass, weeds and insects. All of these ailments the Scotts company said they have treated our lawn for but it never got better. Only worse. It was a complete waste of money. The bills were surely left on our front door but we never saw a truck, ever! We called Scotts several times and each time they have told us we needed a different treatment. No matter what they say they have put on our lawn, it doesn't show. It is the worst it has ever been and they do nothing. Calls are put through to voice mail and are blown off with "complementary treatments" that are billed later. We were told directly by Scotts Customer Service that they would put a "complementary treatment" on our lawn and that we would see results in a week. Well, after two weeks it got even worse and we called again only to hear the same response. I can't believe that we received a bill two days ago! Not only did they bill us, but they also did another application that said was in our cycle. Funny, we canceled them. They are insisting that we have to pay. I am putting a sign on my lawn for all to see that our lawn was under their care and add a warning not to ever use them.

• Mr
    Mr Warning Jul 20, 2011

I am also a former employee at Scotts and I can say first hand that the horror stories are 120% true, whether there via former (and from what I've read, HONEST) employees or customer complaints. I've put several years into that company and watched first hand, as it went from a customer oriented service to a complete money making scheme to enrich shareholders. All this done at the hands of customers landscapes and quality well trained Techs. I was one of the few (I emphasize the word "FEW") Techs who was actually "STATE LICENSED" in multiple aspects of the services provided and took pride in the work I did. But as things changed for the worst, I was the last person they wanted working for them, as honesty sorely clashed with dishonesty i.e. "a unwillingness to blatantly deceive and cheat customers". The tech are not well trained in any aspect of services provided (in the end vets referred to them as "Lawn Jockeys"), the applications given are not what were pitched to you by sales people (inferior products vs. the "we only use quality Scotts products") and it is highly likely that a salesperson will sell you a "pot of crock" to get you to buy (they prey on your lack of knowledge instead of enhancing you to your landscape conditions and what is needed to improve it). Most customers would go into cardiac arrest if they knew the inner workings of operations and how ignorant management was basic principles needed to even understand lawns i.e. "it's green, it grows and occasionally needs to be cut". They are "yes-men" who fit the "at-any-cost" mold to the dotted "i" and crossed "t". For Techs, monetary goal are set TOO high and the pay vs. hours put in are a nightmare, so they blow over customers lawns at lightning speed, give you a company prepped line on your invoice and continue this process until you stop it or they kill off your lawn, whichever comes first. Any comment you read above PRAISING" Scotts is an inside hack, they will screw you over in a heartbeat. Buyer beware, and if you decide to leap it WILL be at your fiscal PERIL. P.S. Before I am labeled as a disgruntled employee...I left because DISHONESTY became their best policy and I like sleeping at night.

• Ro
    Roger95612 Jun 25, 2011

Scotts was asked for an estimate by us, they came and evidently performed a Turf build Pro Round without being directed nor presenting anything prior to the treatment. Only many weeks later did we get a bill for service performed. To this date we have yet to get this settled with them, they continue to call and I continue to refuse payment until they provide evidence of an order. They are surely a Pain in the rear...

• Sl
    SLSNORTHEAST Jun 09, 2011

I had to reply to the “Scottsucks” poster. First, I am defending Scott’s here about the posting on trees and shrubs. How did Scott’s contribute to the loss of those plantings ? Did they spray herbicide on them and kill them? I doubt that. Most likely you planted them improperly in the first place, most common problem in homeowner complaints about trees and shrubs. If the problem was not insect or disease issue that could have been treated the problem most likely lies in a cultural / soil issue. Why should scott’s pay you? Explain how they killed those shrubs? People pay a lawn care company $50 to service trees and expect a arborist to come out and totally care for the health of the trees. Sorry, Scott’s does not do that. They send a guy to just spray and fertilize, like the guy who does your lawn and most likely you never read the tech notes alerting you on conditions. You want total care then go to Save-a-Tree or some other total “TREE” care company. You get what you pay for and stop acting like a spoiled brat who wants his money back for being an [censored].

• Sl
    SLSNORTHEAST Jun 09, 2011

This is a reply to the above management poster, Randomness. First I am a current 5 year Scotts employee, so my experience and knowledge are great on current and past SLS practices. You do work 60 hours, and then some but this year it seems a memo from corporate has curbed the hours over 60 and techs have been called in when they reach that number. Maybe the fact labor laws are being broken at this ridiculous amount of hours on a 40 hour salary position? Let us point out that Scott’s skirts the labor laws by paying ½ rate pay over 40hrs so a Tech making $16 an hour should be making $24 over 40 hours, that is about $480 in overtime under normal ethical overtime rules. Now… under the 3 billion dollar in profits SMG company they classified SLS techs under the old salary flux classification that sales people generally fall under (outdated and un-ethical for blue collar workers like techs), this entitles the company to pay techs 40 hours straight pay and half rate over that. So in most cases that half rate is less than half due to the flux nature so instead of making $8 an hour you make $6-7 an hour for those 20 hours overtime, less than half and less than the state minimum wage laws. LEGAL? Sure, is it ethical for a company with 3 Billion in sales to do this? No. The Overtime the Tech really gets in that check, $140, vs the $480 you should get. Winner? Scott’s. Now how is that making money if you do well? Huh Mr Manager?
    Now the argument of commission will be said. Let’s see the SLS game plan the last few years was to raise tech’s goals to a number that high commission is almost impossible or questionable if a tech does meet it (ghosting). The old days, when goals were almost $300-400 less than lawn techs have now you could make money. I am not exaggerating either, goals for the same routes lawn techs had 3 years ago were 300-400 less a day with the same pricing per job and the amount of customers per tech. Winner again? Scott’s
    Note every lawn care company has the type of goal system like Scott’s, in fact most don’t because of the fact it breeds poor service. Do you want a tech behind in his goal servicing your lawn in 10minn rushing (like most her complain of) or have a tech stop and diagnose and treat issues on a normal work pace for you? A tech is trained at Scott’s to bring in numbers, not quality service. This is not a fluke people write and complain about Scott’s people ringing the bell and being gone before you look out the window, it’s a practice that is putting SLS out of business slowly and surely in the lawn care biz. The numbers don’t lie and the fact the prices are being cut at drastic numbers and customers cancels are up in 2011 in RECORD numbers that I have never seen in the years I worked for SLS is sure sign of a sinking ship. Our products are not any better than any other companies, it’s the same products with a well known brand name slapped on them and calling them “professional”. SLS in major markets are losing to Lawn doctor and other companies in customer counts at a fast rate and price is not a factor, its service and knowledge. We have a few lawn routes this season with NO TECHS assigned to them due the fact THEY QUIT and went to better paying rival companies. Imagine that, 4 routes that have no techs due to the fact in this economy nobody wants to work for this place, that tells you something about Scott’s. It tells you that our rounds are way behind and FACT in our region that lawn revenue is half what it should be, not 10%...50! Sinking ship.
    This clown above who is a true corporate clown, notice how he played the company lines on how great the pay and benefits are and how unions are bad, please. That is right out of Corporate 101 in cyberspace disinformation campaigns, fist discredit this website and its poster and steer readers to Scott’s approved forums. Don’t think so buddy. My prediction, SLS will be dropped by Scott’s in 5 years and they stop the PR nightmare that SLS is to them. Poor looking lawns are hurting business in the retail world of Scott’s when people associate SLS with SMG retail products.
    Also, please stop saying we treat ball parks and football fields. It’s a lie. All we ever did on a MLB field was put down Fungicide, and that was done by a manager and was more of a public relations campaign.

• Sd
    sdfelt May 27, 2011

I agree! Scotts is a scam. We used them 3 years ago and signed up for 4 treatments. After the 4 treatments, they kept coming out for more treatments and kept charging us each time. We cancelled our agreement with them. Now after 2 years, they showed up again and treated our lawn and left us a bill. They claim that they called us and set up an appointment to treat our lawn. We use another service now, and our lawn was treated the day before Scotts came out and the signs were still on the lawn from the other company. The Scotts guy ignored that and treated the lawn again. Now we have brown patches from too much fertilizer. And the Scotts manager says if we don't pay the bill he'll send it to a collection agency, and wreck our credit rating. What a scam!

• Ra
    RandomnessFTW May 07, 2011

I'm just posting to keep it real. I work for Scotts. I am NOT a manager. I am NOT a tech. I am in SALES. Let me say that MOST of the good things are true and MOST the bad things are true. You will work your 60 hours a week during peak season and if you do well you will make money. The goals for any company I've ever worked for have been ridiculous, that is the whole point of goals. What you failed to mention is you do not work for 2 1/2 months every year and are given full unemployment benefits (I look at it as I work hard now and relax later) in addition to paid vacation, 401K, profit sharing, and tuition reimbursement (I personally think all medical and dental insurance at any company is a scam so I don't get it- it might make more sense for a family man). I won't go as far as calling people stupid or lazy, that's NOT true... everybody busts their ###... Scotts definitely has unrealistic expectations, most of which can be shrugged off (if you are under goal but are still a top producer it would take a good deal of managerial incompetence to fire you). As far as under-priced lawns go and the reduction in the quality of service that is a problem. Now as far as underpricing goes... most people want a good deal and that is built into the pricing matrix, that said, you need customers to service and our competition does nothing but offer inferior products and service at a lower price. If you gain the customers trust and they see the value in a service then they become willing to pay more. I would make the $29.95 application particularly good because this is the first impression the customer gets of Scotts Lawn Service. When this gets messed up, people either cancel or want a free service call- meaning we will need to either get the customer back (likely by offering a reduced rate) or that you will be providing their next application free of charge, since you intentionally screwed it up the first time (please note, the techs posting here are disgruntled- most techs and salespeople really do care about your lawn and it shows in the service we provide- feel free to read our reviews on legit consumer awareness sites). If you don't have customers to work for, then there is really no point to having techs is there? As far as training is concerned, it is adequate for what you do- most people should be able to operate a spreader and hose by reading an instruction manual (I think 90% of life is that way, learning by doing)- Scott's provides you a full week of training (senior techs undergo more training as their duties increase). Most of Scotts is former TruGreen (ChemLawn) employees. I'd rather work here than TG any day of the week. I am proud to represent this product. Be proud of what you do. Most techs are young guys trying to support families or pay their way through school and really all posturing aside; The pay is good, not great but realistically I know salespeople and techs that frequently make over $800 a week, some even over $1400 a week and I know top techs with similar compensation- it is what you make of it. You see $29.95 on the first app, Big F---ing Deal, take into consideration the subsequent apps at $50, $80, $120 or even $300- you wont ever see those if you botch the introductory one (its only one app)- think about how much effort it takes to get a new customer versus retaining a current one- especially the big money customers, do you honestly think someone willing to pay $3, 000 a year for grounds maintenance is gonna put up with a crappy job. Dude, we service baseball and football stadiums- you think they aren't getting a deal? Unions are struggling now, their workers are being laid off en masse and they can't find jobs that pay as good as this one. Frankly the union mentality will only make our service more expensive and would only lead to job cuts. I'm gonna be brutally honest here and say that the only reason you still work at Scotts despite the 'crappy hours and poor pay' is because you can't find a better job. I mean sure Walmart will give you overtime, but your base salary is $8.50 an hour whereas Scotts gives you a minimum of $650 a week (overtime included) before commission ($300 additional on average) so usually $900-$1, 000 a week (average rep or tech after a few months on the job). Here guys, for what its worth... stop ###, suck it up, and fix your attitude- the only one out to screw you is you and you are screwing other techs, salespeople, and customers in the process. You are portraying us as a bunch of resentful goldbrickers who hate doing work (that pisses me off given how hard we work), and now I have to sell over that- thank you for that- that makes the numbers 2, 9, 9, and 5 magically appear in my head along with decimal points.

I enjoy the people I work with (they make me laugh), the pay ain't bad, and the long hours don't feel so long when you are enjoying yourself (though they are definitely long). Overtime pay is crap ($4-$6 an hour-just figure an extra $100 at the end of the week) but unemployment, vacation, and year end bonus makes up for it. The point is I always have more than enough to pay my bills. One comment I think is total BS is the weed gel one (while absolutely hilarious, salespeople can get in big trouble, even fired for misrepresenting stuff like that). To be clear for anyone reading this forum it usually takes a MINIMUM of 2 full seasons to get rid of hard to treat weeds like creeping charlie, clover, and violets. The reason why the customers posting here are pissed is because of poor service provided in a poor manner. If you actually did ghost lawns then you should be terminated and it will catch up to you.
    Then again, it could be because some of Scotts Lawn Service is franchised and franchisees may not follow company standards as proficiently as corporately owned operations (and likely face more pressure to boot)- to that end, I can't say its all bogus- but if you read the reviews Scotts is still the best name in lawn care and we recently passed TG for the #1 slot on the service side- so we have to be doing something right.

• Sc
    scottsucks Apr 25, 2011

I have had Scott's for 2 years now taking care of my lawn, tress and srubs. I was taking care of them myself. Since Scott's started service at my residence I have lost 2 trees and 6 shrubs. I told the technican about my concerns and they did nothing. I wouldn't let them back in my yard if they paid me. I didn't get a refund either. I was told a manager would call, but no.

• Ra
    racergurl Apr 16, 2011

I am a customer of Scotts in the west. Last year we cancelled their service and so they stopped coming out the beginning of July. All was thru. Until they showed up the other day and I still can't see anything on the lawn that they did. Our shrub died last year as well but when we asked them about it they just said must have been insects. So the bugs liked one shrub over the other. Hmm.. Anywho, they showed up, performed a service, and left a bill. When I got home, I saw the bill ($92) and called the number on it. I asked why they came out. I was told that there was no where in their records that we had cancelled. I mentioned to them the dates last year and that we had cancelled over the phone. I was told that since they performed a service we had to pay the bill or they would send us to collections. Also, there was no appointment made which was on our file from last year that an appointment had to be made before they showed up. We have a very large dog now and if the dog had of been outside when the employee came into the backyard, we'd have an even bigger incident on our hands right now. All the dog's toys were laying in the backyard and the employee on the phone told me they weren't and that the tech always picked up things in the yard before they did anything. So, I guess I'll send them my vet bill when I have to get my dog's stomach pumped. As of right now, they are saying that since they came out and left us a bill we have to pay. This means, that they could go into anyone's back yard, and then charge them for it. When I told them that they said yea, basically. Guess I will have to send them my bill for $100 since I'm charging for people coming into my back yard.

• Ti
    Tina E. Mar 29, 2011

Danooo, ok. All of the dozens of people who work and currently work for the company must be lazy because they care more about the customer than making a "goal". We see techs like you who make huge amounts daily in production and bring home those 7% comm checks. You are called a "ghost", because you ghost parts of lawns (or all) to make that money. In reality you CAN'T make that money without doing it, or do a GOOD JOB!
    Overtime??? When did scott's start to pay overtime? They don't pay federal overtime rates, and never have. Ohhhhhh, you mean the 1/2 rate pay? Let's see, you make $16 a hour straight time, then when you work overtime you make $8 or less an hour, how do you make big bucks like that? You make less working overtime!!
    I know for a fact the NJ branch is one of the worse, they can't even keep managers and go thru techs faster than weeds grow. The customer count in the northeast is dropping fast also, maybe thanks to "ghosting" employees who glide over properties 100 mph to make a few bucks in commision at the end of the week.

• Da
    Danoooo Mar 28, 2011

I think you guys with the complaints are just lazy people that Scotts fires or doesnt want around. I work at Scotts in NJ an I love the job they constantly teaching us new things about lawns i make 900 a week with overtime and sales. Its a good paying job and has good benefits. Of course with anything you gunna have unhappy customers or employees its not for everyone and for lawns that look like crap usually its not the tech majority of it is people dont water or dont wanna spend money on grub control or other diseases they might have and then they wonder what happened. Of course some techs are going to be lazy nbot do good job but then they eventually get caught and are gone but thats like any job or service you might get there always a bad apple in everything.

• Ji
    JIMMYDEANER Feb 27, 2011

Well I must say I agree 100 percent with the negatives of Scotts..I'm a current lawn tech in PA.. I was hired last year and I have hated it ever since and cannot wait to find another job.. The company does all they can to screw you over and pay you less. As most everyone else has said they raise the payout goals so you cant make commision and then make you work 6days a wk 60 hrs and you still dont get crap.. It is completely unbelievable how this company gets away with this.. I am embarrassed to go to lawns when they FORCE us to apply treatments in terential rain and even if the lawn is completely burned out in the middle of the summer.. They DO NOT care about the customer and their lawn, all they care about is making the techs treat as many lawns as posssible and paying them as little as possible.. Oh and this year we were one of the highest earning branches and we received a total of 46 dollars for our bonus.. What a freaking joke.. Oh and also the company will make you go to some field out in the middle of nowhere and spray your entire tanks of liquid so they dont have to pay to have this removed at the end of the year.. And ppl wonder why there lawns look poor, its because the techs are forced to do way more than what should be done in a day.. If it was lower, we could take our time.. For anyone who does gets Scotts, I reccomend telling the salesman you want to pay what the price scale says for your size lawn.. Salesman will underprice and undersize your lawn so they can make the sale and you think you are getting a good deal, but really, when we see this, bc of our high goals we just fly through your lawn cutting as many corners as possible.. People whose lawns are priced correctly will atleast get a better rushed job.. And I can say that this is true for pretty much all techs in our branch.. For those reading this who are technicians, we really need to form or join a union because this is just truly criminal how we are treated and paid.. Then again, I just need to get out of this company.. THEY ARE A JOKE

• Ju
    Justhonesttoo Dec 29, 2010

Scotts has recently started to make most new hires in some states just seasonal help with little to no benefits. They are also laying off almost everyone during the winter now. I am telling you that they are probably going to sell the division soon. I have a credible source that has told me that this a very real possibility to happen very soon.

That is why all of these shortcuts have gotten worse over the last couple of years. It is all about driving up the top line and cutting costs. The fertilizer is now being made by Knox Fertilizer and Andersons and not Scotts because it is cheap. The fertilizer is crap. The goals are too high. The management is a joke. When they got rid of Mark Long and his team at the top of the SLS leadership chain a few years back, the "green industry" idea went right out the window. It is now just an industry that is about screwing customers and making money. They now just look for the cheapest product and use the cheapest possible employee and hope that the brand name is enough to fool people.

If you are a technician, look for another job.
    If you are a customer, fire Scotts now!

• El
    Ellis in MA Dec 20, 2010

I have to put my 2cents in as an current Scotts lawn tech for the past 4 years in the MA area. Its getting worse being a tech for this company. It seems things have went downhill fast and the customers are starting to see what this company is about, the $$$ and poor service. The above post by Tim I will comment on, ghosting is common in this company and the company knows all about it. In fact they are the ones who breed the shortcuts made by techs by having daily goals that are impossible to get in a day. "JustHonest" above described it better than me, they have raised the goals every year and given the techs more customers, longer travel and with the $29.99 sales and service calls majority of techs are doing fast, poor work and in some cases ghosting parts of the lawns. We are told don't even come back without the goal or you will be sent out till it gets dark (6am till dark in the summer is like 7-8pm). We don't get overtime, this great company flirts with labor laws and uses the 1/2 rate pay over 40hrs (Chemlawn does the same thing). They had us making more sales this season, more weekends and went thru more techs and customer cancels then I ever seen in all my years here. Its getting bad, and agree with the post above that said Scott's may get rid of the SLS soon. You have managers taking advantage of techs by slave driving them to higher numbers so they themselves get 10k bonus last year and we are lucky to see $800.
    Tim, you been out of the company for a bit, so don't tell the dozens of current and past recent employees here that we all have "personal issues" with the company. I take pride in my work and with my customers, when I question why they want me to push insect treatments to early, weed control in the rain, pesticide treatment on a day we had 5 inches of rain or doing an aero and seeding in early august in 90 degree weather with 2 year old seed I am told to do it, or look for another job. On the Aero and seeding note, they started early this season in the middle of heat wave in august so they can make the fiscal year numbers before the end of sept. What happen? 90% of the customers had no germanation (bad seed plus heat).. we lost so many customers on that one.

• Ti
    tim dodds Dec 14, 2010

Hello, I am a former scotts lawn service employee .I would just like to say the negative things said about this company are not true .If a employee from Scotts is suspected of "ghosting a lawn or lawns our office manager would get a copy of this persons route and follow the suspect around for several days with out telling anyone he was there.If the person was caught doing anything wrong they were terminated on the spot .The customers on the rout in question have there lawns inspected by the branch manager and if the lawns were not up to par with Scotts standurd the customers recieved as many free services as it took to make it right .The training I received at scotts was better then you would believe .I learned the names of all the different kinds of grasses .I also learned what grasses grew naturally in what reagions of the country and how to identify them .Most importantly I learned the different ways to treat the grasses in detail .We learned to identify every kind of weed in the book .Also how to treat crabgrass and other stubburn unwanted grasses, and weeds that needed special attention .We had access to every scotts product we needed to do the job as well as we possibly could .My branch manager Kit Rowe made the condition of his customers lawns priority number one .While working for this company I grew to love the art of lawn service, and tree and shrub care .I have not worked there for several years but, I still to this day hold the knowledge to create a lawn masterpiece .Don't let someone elses personal issues and there bad experence speak for the entire company .As long as people like Kit continue to work for Scotts I have full confidence in Scotts . Thanks TD FROM Char.

• Th
    That One Guy Nov 04, 2010

I work for scotts in pittsburgh and all things here are true. And scotts does not make the products we use at sls here. They are made by another company and the scotts label is on the bag. The products are made cheaply and are not effective. the company is not worried about grass or making it look good. it is worried about making money, its all about greed. customers are sold services that they do not need, and services that are redundant. This season our fertilizer was contaminated in some way and our applications began burning and killing lawns. These products were also causing rashes and blisters when in contact with your skin. the sales department is full of idiots who either know nothing or just talk out of there behinds for som other reason. They lie to customers just to make a sale. Customers were being told that our technicians were going to apply a gel weed control product that would eliminated tougher to control weeds such as wild violets with one application. Oh and this gel weed control would be painted, yes painted with a paint brush, directly onto the leaves of the violets. This does not happen and this product does not exist. Everything in this complaint about New Jersey is 100% true about pittsburgh. I also remember the EPA issues with the products. My manager called me in the field and told me to stop using these products immediatley and he came to pick them up in his truck and I was given a script to tell customers as well. Technicians are not trained well at all. Actually they arent trained AT ALL. A couple hours of videos a day or two of ride alongs and off you go as a well trained technician on your own. SLS is a complete JOKE. Customers are ripped off EVERY SINGLE DAY. Th company does not repair or make up for mistakes its people make. They blow people off until they give up trying to get what they need. It is NOVEMBER and they are giving people round 4 lawn treatments. We did these in July and august. Last season we were layed off and scotts withheld our wage information from the unemplyment office so we couldnt even get paid for MONTHS. Since I have worked at scotts the goals have gone up more every single year, the company's profits have gone up every single year, yet my paychecks seem to decrease slightly every year. For those of you who say this is a good company and a good place to work maybe you work in a differnt part of the company or maybe your market is different or maybe your just naive. This company is a joke and a scam and customers are beginning to understasnd that and are going to take their hard earned money elsewhere and I will seek other employment. i have no wish to compromise my morals for lies and greed any longer.

Annette F. Nov 02, 2010

I KNEW it! We've used Scots for way too long...5+ years. We've since cancelled their service because I got charged for a service that neither me nor my husband ever requested. I called three times to speak to someone and they said we tried calling back. Lie. I work in a very small office, they NEVER called. And I NEVER requested it.

Before I cancelled, I got a call one morning to do the standard treatment. I took a quick shower (less than 5 minutes), went out to the driveway to pick up the newspaper, and there was the invoice. There is NO WAY they could have serviced our yard. We have a large yard. Even if the guy was sitting at my door when the phone rang, it is IMPOSSIBLE! You could'nt even walk the perimeter of our yard in less than 10 minutes. Our yard has not looked good for several years, but I just blamed the dry summers, even though we are good at watering, it just looked bad.

I will NEVER use Scots's again, and if any family/friend asks for recommendation, it will be anyone other than Scots.

• Ar
    Art Vandelay Sep 29, 2010

I started my Scott's service earlier this year. Had a tech come out and measure the property to calculate the cost of a regular service. The guy walked with his measuring stick around the entie perimeter of the property. Came back with a price which I thought was decent for completely worth it for the promise of a greener and thicker lawn. Throughout the service, my yard has gone from bad to worse. My entire front lawn is nothing but brown dead grass. I called numerous times throughout the service period and got the same rude [censor] who not only would not listen to my concerns, but pretty much acted as if he had more important things to do. I asked to be called before the next tech came out and of course, no call. I'm cancelling my service with Scott's and going with a local lawn care provider. All Scott's Lawn Service is doing is riding on the name Scott's to dupe customers out of their hard earned money. These jokers have no clue what they're doing. Awful service STAY AWAY!!!

• St
    Steve ATL GA Aug 22, 2010

SCOTTS Sucks. I will send you photos of my yard after 18 months of service, Crabgrass, nutedge, thin gradd and just plain dead grass. THEY SUCK, SUCK, SUCK. Is that disgruntled enough for you. Forget employees, all companies have good and bad ones, but to ignore customers and not return calls, not show up and say you have. It took me complaining up to the SE regional manager for GA to get rid of my weeds in 3 weeks time, but no work on replacing the 1/2 acre of dead grass in my yard. By the way did I say they SUCK.

• Ju
    JustHonest Jul 28, 2010

Let me just say that I am deeply educated in all of the ins and outs of Scotts Lawn Service. Do not work here! The goals are extremely high, and there is no way to do the applications using the Best Application Practices that are supposed to be mandatory, but still hitting the goals. It is supposed to be a simple mathematical equation. It should take you one minute to treat 1000 sq. ft.. There should be no variation here as the training even requires you to have your walking speed timed if done correctly. So, if you are doing things correctly, an average 8, 000 square foot lawn must take you 8 minutes to treat, or 16 minutes if you are making 2 passes. Since it is also policy to knock on every door and speak to every customer who is home, you can add 2 minutes there on average. It is also policy to write a detailed personal note to each customer, and to blow off every driveway, sidewalk, and patio. So add another 3 minutes on average. So if you are doing things the way that you are supposed to, you can not treat an average lawn in under 13 minutes, and it may take 21 minutes if you are making 2 passes. Let's call it 15 minutes minimum on average to allow for drive time.

So in an hour, you can do 4 lawns, and in 8 hours you can do 24 lawns. The average lawn price is $52. 52 x 24=1248. Then remember, you must allow for time to drive to the route and back to the branch, and time for lunch. So this is a 10 hour day. So how can a TSR have a goal of 1700, but still be expected to do things the correct way? Easy answer, they can't! There is no way around this people. It is written in policy that 1000 sq. ft. must take 1 minute to treat.. To add to the problem, many new customers get their first app for $25.00

So what happens is, the regionals put pressure on the GM's who put pressure on the BM's, who put pressure on the SM's, who put pressure on the TSR's to do whatever they have to do to hit the outrageous goal. Managers must turn a blind eye to ghosting, incorrect applications, illegal mixing of products, etc. in order to hit goals. Managers are even encouraged to hold off on disciplinary actions during key months like September(end of the fiscal year) because no Branch can afford to loose anyone, even if they are ghosting. As a TSR, all that matters is that you hit your goal. Everything else can be forgiven.

To the above poster, who said that all TSR's are licensed, please understand that in most states, this is not the case. You clearly work in a state where the Department of Ag requires that all applicators must have a license, but most states do not require this. Most states allow TSR's to work under the umbrella of the Branch license. So in many cases, a TSR recieves a day of videos and a day or 2 of ride a longs before they are set free to treat on their own. Trust me, this happens often all across the country.

The half pay situation is simply almost criminal, as is the Service Qualifier ploicy, which is used to pull bonuses because of mistakes. All of these problems (crazy goals, half pay, taking bonuses) just started at Scotts around 4 or 5 years ago when business people (the MBA's) took over at the top and the green industry vets were removed from the leadership of SLS. It was not always like this. Goals used to be much lower and people used to be paid more fairly. Decisions were made based on what was right, but now it is all about what will make more money. Even the use of liquid fert has become common after Scotts berated other companies for years for using liquid fert.

This company is getting worse every year and I won't be surprised if the division is sold off soon.