Complaints & Reviews

billing for unauthorized services

I had a lawn service from Scotts Lawn service in 2011. I was not satisfied with the service as lack of proper...

misleading the customers and cheating

Hi Customers;
Please don't ever believe this company. The reps of this company don't have any idea of what they are telling. They don't know more details of the grass. They just needs the money from the people. I am a victim. I don't want to give my details. Please please don't ever let this people ie I mean Scotts lawn service people don't ever let them to your home. You will be losing your money. They say in words they will treat all type of grass weeds and all. Please don't ever believe them. They don't take care of the customer satisfaction.
The management is very poor.

A victim

Amanda @ SLS Jun 14, 2012

I am with Scotts LawnService Corporate office in Ohio and I am sorry to read about your concerns.. I would like to help. Please feel free to drop me an email at [email protected]

Scootts LawnService.

• Ca
    Carolyn Lakey Aug 20, 2012

I. too, am not happy with the service. Please do not try to contact me again. Based on the services provided and the payments
    I made there were at least one too many. I really don't feel you provided the service that I had in previous years.

• Ce
    ceek Jul 12, 2014

Extremely unhappy with the customer service from Frank (manager- Hauppauge NY.)
    Multiple calls to the Hauppauge office regarding the appearance of the lawn, spoke with a supervisor Eileen G and manager Frank. Was told by Frank on 7/10/2014 a technician would be here on 7/11/2014 between the hours of 10 and 12 noon. Waited till 4pm - no "Scotts". Called frank 7/11/2014 - he stated "he had fired the technician and had no one to come to the house". At this time I discontinued my service with "Scotts" due to poor customer care, sad looking lawn and horrible management.
    Placed a call with corporate and BBB - I had already paid in full, afraid I will not see my credit or full refund.

lawn care

I am very dissatisfied with Scotts Lawn Service. When they treated my trees and shrubs, wherever the solution hit the grass between and around trees and shrubs, the solution killed the grass. I now have trails aroung the yard with dead grass. I really find it had to believe in quality service when they are usually here for normally 10 to 15 minutes and either treat the whole yard or do a tree and shrub servicing.
And then charge $70.00 for this 15 minutes of work. I think it is a total rip-off. Needless to say, I have cancelled this service and will never recommend this company to anyone. EVER!

• Tj
    TJ McGill Jan 02, 2011

My husband and I attended a home show in March of 2010, at which Scotts Lawn Care was a vendor. We told them about our lawn and they guaranteed that it would be greener and fuller by the end of the summer. They brought our lawn up on a satellite, gave us a price and wrote up a contract. They came out for the first application and left a bill on our door for almost double the contracted price. We contacted the office and they said that this was due to the fact that our lawn was larger than the satellite had shown. We argued that this was not our fault and that they should honor the written contract. I even had to send them a copy of the contract as proof. The company then began to make unauthorized applications, all of which continued to turn our lawn browner and browner, which the company blamed on the weather, grubs, etc. so they treated for these. We continued to call and complain, send letters of complaint, all to no avail. Needless to say, they have sent our account to a collection agency because we dispute the charges and our lawn is almost totally brown and in worse condition than it was prior to their service. We are extremely unhappy with this service and would not recommend anyone to use this company.

• Tj
    TJ McGill Jan 02, 2011

I also had trouble with Scotts Lawn Service overcharging and my lawn is brown as well.

Amanda @ SLS Jan 03, 2011

Hi TJ,

I am with Scotts LawnService Corp. in Marysville, Ohio. I would like to help, but I will need a little more information. Please drop me an email with your account number or street address and I will be happy to review the situation for you.

Amanda @ SLS Apr 30, 2012

Silverone1,

I am sorry to hear of your concerns. If there is something I can do to help, please drop me an email at scotts.lawnservice.com.

• Li
    Lied to in Seymour, TN Apr 29, 2013

Do NOT use this lawn service!!! You'll regret it!!!

A Scotts sales rep (Mark) knocked on my door (unsolicited )to pitch Scotts Lawn Service. I agreed having Scotts treat my lawn every 4-6 weeks at 46.00 a treatment which included the front back and side yards. I PERSONALLY walked the sales rep around the perimeter of the property so he was WELL aware of the area agreed to be treated on the service agreement. I asked Mark (sales rep) how Scotts could treat my entire yard for 46.00 per treatment, his response "we can lower the rates of treatments because we've canvased for and gained enough business in the Seymour area to do so."

I signed up, the service technician showed up TWO weeks after, treated the lawn and DID NOT leave an invoice. I spoke with someone in the Knoxville office named Paul who stated that the service technician didn't leave an invoice because the square footage was WRONG on the service agreement. Paul insisted that the square footage was an "error" and to treat my yard in the future would be double. I suggested to Paul that this was deceiving and poor business practices. He insisted it was a mistake. It's NO MISTAKE... it's called bait and switch.

If a Scotts Lawn Service Rep comes knocking at your door you're going to get RIPPED OFF!!!

provided unapproved service and is trying to collect money

I contracted with Scotts to do several treatments during 2011. I think the total was seven and concluded in October, 2011. i moved from the resident (Renton Wa) to South Carolina in October 2011 as well. House was sold in February 2012. Scott left voice mail that they were going to do a lawn treatment in February 2012 and if they didn't hear from me they would not do the treatment. I did not bother to contact Scotts due to this voice mail and the fact that I had not requested such service. They did the treatment anyway and did another one after that. Now they are trying to collect money for the unauthorized services and have left numerous phone messages. I have spoken with 3 different individuals at the Scott branch in WA. They seem to think they are right and have the right to collect. I will never deal with Scotts again and now have to make sure they don't falsely report to credit bureay.

Amanda @ SLS Apr 26, 2012

Wbard,

I am sorry to read about your concerns. Please drop me an email with your contact information and the address of your house in Washington and I will be happy to look into this for you.

Sincerely,
    Scotts LawnSerivce

worst service ever

I paid a lot of money for my service. I paid 43 a month plus the initial fee for the first big treatment. I had just had new sod put on and had Scott's Lawn Service treat my grass. I never so many weeds, dry spots and fire ant piles in my life. I questioned them about it and they always had an excuse or it was my fault. Either I watered too much or to little and the dry spots were because I have a tree that's giving the grass shade mind you mostly everyone in my neighborhood has trees in their front lawn and their grass looks great. The weeds never died they grew like crazy. They told me I had to wait and the weeds would go away, ok I had them for a year and that never happened. Worst service ever! I got a new company and within a few days the weeds are dying out already and the ant piles are diminishing. hmmm I guess Scott's wasn't even doing nothing to my lawn. Bunch of crooks. Oh and after I cancelled my service with them I receive a flyer on my door about 2 weeks later that they inspected my lawn and it was in bad shape per the Scott's Lawn Tech with weeds and fire ant piles and they wanted me to have them service my lawn. I guess he wasn't aware that it was his company that messed up my lawn. Wow!

Amanda @ SLS Apr 11, 2012

I am sorry to read of your concerns and that you have moved on to another company. I would appreciate you dropping me an email with your street address. I would like to review the account for opportunities we missed and learn from your experience. My email address is [email protected] Thanks, Amanda

• Fe
    Fed up in Rockland Apr 16, 2012

Being an ex employee of Scotts Lawn Service, they are the most crooked corporation out there. They overwork all the employees 6 day work weeks, anything over 40 hours they have the audacity to pay there employees what is known as CHINESE OVERTIME. For those of you that don't know what that is, it basically means you your paid below minimum wage try 5 and change. Most of the technicians that work for this company are career criminals and drug users. Scotts Corporation couldn't give a damn about their customers let alone the employees that really want to do a good job. Scotts makes over 8 billion dollars a year. The big bosses are only interested in getting the publics money. Nobody has any idea that they get billed for services they never receive and products being used on the lawns are not safe. They misrepresent the products that they use, I've been told to falsify records because we where using products not approved by the DEC or the EPA.

• Sf
    SF1982 May 27, 2012

Scotts is absolutely horrible. I have had them for about 10 months and my lawn has looked repulsive. Apparently I don't water enough. I guess four hours twice a week and a $230 water bill monthly isn't enough. It is Infested with huge weeds that are like 3 feet tall, covered in Crab Grass. Note, I have the only lawn in my community with Crab Grass. I have neighbors' lawns that don't water or fertilize that look better than mine. I am going to drop them like a bad habit after this holiday weekend.

• DM1960 Jun 28, 2015

My lawn looks horrible full of weeds I have complained about this with no response. I think it is time to cancel my lawn care service with them and move on and stop throwing my money away.

employees servicing customers

As a former employee of Scotts Lawn Service I would be gravely concerned of not only their services but what kind of employees they have on the job. Let me go in to more detail of employee’s histories and in which several are still employed at Scotts.
• Lets start with the 2 employees ( lawn techs) that sub sequentially failed their drug
Tests. Of these 2 employees I currently still works at Scotts. Both employees purchased a home
Drug test as they were told of the upcoming drug test in which they also took a supplement to
Try beating the test. Needles to say the inexpensive home test showed them of no traces of drugs. They took the labs test which was a little more thorough and they failed. This was all Covered up in which they were retested at a much later date and subsequently passed. Needless
To say how they passed is beyond my knowledge. The head management of Scotts was told of
This the Director, Northeast Region at Scotts Lawn Service, Senior Director Northeast
Region at Scotts Lawn Service, Head of Scott’s lawn Service. I will give you more detail of
Their email's and phone #'so if you would like to contact them as to find out of the type
Of employees that work for them.
• Now I would like to discuss the employee that is currently working with Scotts as sales
Man. He came aboard as an aerator employee. He worked for one year and became a salesperson
The following season. Needles to say he was working for approximately for 5 years when he
Were caught stealing checks from customers? In more detail what he did was sell a job as a lawn
Renovation.
• When the job was supposed to be done the customer questioned why the back yard wasn't
Done the manager said this price would not include the back it would be additional charge. He
Stated that the current invoice did not reflect on his payment in his check book. To verify this
We asked for a copy of his check in which he supplied. The check was deposited in to a Scotts
Lawn service account which was signed by the salesman and was a totally different total of the
Invoice. When questioned the salesman broke down and admitted to stealing checks and
Sending in money orders and/or cash with bogus estimates to reflect the submitted totals and
Pocketing the difference. In more detail this person used to pick up the mail and was stealing
Smaller checks in which when customers were sent new statements they would mostly just
Send in new checks not bothering to check there check book. The few that did were credited.
• This salesman also pleaded for us not to turn him in because when he came to originally work with us he was on probation for serving time for theft of services. He offered to show the bank statement from when he opened the bogus account and pay it all back. The management made a decision to keep him on as a employee like the other 2.This was because he was such a good salesman and it out weighed his criminal behavior and they agreed for him to pay them back
And would not contact the authorities.
• With this I as customer would be gravely concerned of what kind of employees are
Coming to service my property. Below I will supply you with the names of the above
Mentioned managements. Email and or phone #'so and if you would like to contact them. With
That I would always recommend smaller companies preferably owner operated. Look for more
To come of an internal memo I will discuss of what upper management did for The Scotts EPA Recall.

Director, Northeast Region, Tina Elgin
Email Tina.[protected]@scotts.com

Senior Director Northeast Region, Dana.Irwin
Email dana.[protected]@scotts.com. Phone # [protected]

Head of Scotts Lawn service Peter Korda Phone # [protected]
Email peter.[protected]@scotts.com
If your message is urgent contact Libbi Gallagher at [protected] orLibbi.[protected]@scotts.com She has nothing to do with this just another relay to contact Peter or Dana.

• Li
    Lied to in Seymour, TN Apr 29, 2013

Do NOT use this lawn service!!! You'll regret it!!!

• Ne
    Neil Miller Jul 03, 2014

These people are liars. I have to call every time to ask when they are coming and they lied to me about doing the crab grass treatment.
    When I signed up I told the guy I wanted the crab Grass post emergent immediately 4 weeks later Im still waiting and lisening to the ### at Scotts tell me "maybe next week", I cancelled, they suck. My yard is now a ###ing mess thanks to these ###s!

bad service

Customer for over 4 years and am sick of the quality of service and scams this place runs. My lawn is full of broad leaf weeds in the month of Sept, at the end of the season when these weeds should have been killed back in June. I paid for Gub control and got grubs in late Aug, looked and seen they did the GrubX preventer that same month, when it should have been done in may-june like I paid for. Now the label says (that they must follow by law) as a preventer it needs to go down before grubs are active and at that time they should have used a curative product. I had insect damage over the summer that got wrote off as heat stress and the manager came to my property (Julio, Jose or something) and said would have someone spray for insects and blew me off and never returned my calls.

Some of the techs are great and just when you get used to one he tells us he is quitting and going to a rival over the poor working conditions they make these guys work. I had one who I can't say his name because he is a current tech tell me they have a high goal system and don't get paid overtime, a reason for the high turnover. Also told me they make them do applications in the rain and this could be reason for poor insect/weed control. I thought the DEP had laws for making applications on the rain or standing water??

Anyway, after my final round I am leaving for another company. If this company runs this way its a matter of time they will be gone, and people around me who use them agree who are leaving also.

PS- Teach your managers not to blow off customers!

Bob

• Gl
    Gluts Oct 18, 2010

On Oct. 8, 2010 one of your people (sub-contractor) serviced my property and neglected to close the gate leading to my back yard. My wife & I spent nearly 4 hours looking for our two dogs.

On Oct. 12, 2010 my lawn was serviced again. My dogs got out again because the ###s you hire don't know how to close a gate.

I called your Wayne, New Jersey office and spoke to whom ever answered the phone and complained and was told a manager would call me back, they never did.

I'm a business owner & know if I don't respond to complaints, I wouldn't be in business for long. What's your excuse.

I'm finished with your company.

Your people obviously can not do their jobs.

I'll get a company next year with workers that can handle a simple task, like closing a gate properly.

Jones_Howell Aug 17, 2011

Terrible service.

• Na
    nat1k Sep 02, 2011

After several conversations with different scotts lawn care customer service representatives about the many issues our lawn suffered under scotts lawn care, the invoices received reflecting charges that we were told would be waived, it is clear being their customer is a gamble. Under their so call care, our lawn was actually worse than when we used to apply the fertilizer ourselves. More weeds, yellow grass, voles, and it is clear scotts lawn care missed some large areas of our lawn. After many complaints and senseless explanations from their customer representatives blaming a “rough summer”, we have learned our lesson, and formally inform scotts in writing that we are canceling their lawn care service.

Amanda @ SLS Oct 13, 2011

Hi Bob,

I am with Scotts LawnService Corporate office in Marysville, OH. I am sorry there have been concerns. I would be happy to look into them for you. Pleae feel free to drop me an email with your full name and address or customer number.

Sincerely,

• De
    DeanMartin Dec 06, 2011

Wake up Scott's Ohio office. SLS is going to bring the entire billion dollar company down by giving retail products a bad name. 2004-2014 - mark my words that SMG will cut SLS loose and sell it off by then.

• Sc
    scotts employed Dec 16, 2013

as a lawn care technician for Scotts Lawn Service in Windsor Connecticut for 7 years. I would have to say this is a horrible company to work for I've never felt so bad for customers people being consistently ripped off and mistreated by this company...I would do my best as a good person and the way I was raised to make sure things were do it done right. Managers in the branch being fired all the time and over worked I was constantly lied to and overworked poor equipment was given to me and unsafe vehicles that constantly broke downwere made to be driven daily by me and others...the company has a horrible employment rate I would average see people being hired on and off rate about 40 people per season...Scotts Lawn Service will go down by 2015 using a good name and destroying it with money and profit greed!!!

• Da
    Dangpepper Aug 04, 2014

Agree 100% - Scott's is the worst service I ever had. They missed appointments and when I called customer service they were just as amazed. I was told a manager would call me regarding the issue. They never called. I cancelled my contract and never heard from them again. Guess they don't care about the business. If that's the case, I'll find a lawn service that does care.

terrible service

We are thoroughly dissatisfied with the services rendered by Scotts Lawn Service in St. Louis, Missouri. I...

provided and billed for service that was not requested

Apparently a door-to-door salesman talked with one of my minor children and sold them a lawn service package because a few days later, two days after I had already fertilized the lawn, they showed up and treated our yard leaving a bill for the service.

At no time did my wife or I ask for the service. Repeated attempts to discuss the issue with someone who has any authority to resolve it have been rebuffed. I can only assume this is their modus operandi.

I strongly recommend avoiding dealing with Scott's Lawn Service at all costs.

Amanda @ SLS Aug 10, 2011

Hi,

I am with Scotts LawnService corporate office in Ohio. I would like to help with your concerns. Please drop me an email with your address and name.

My email address is [email protected]

Thanks,
    Amanda

poor service

ORDERED GRUB TREATMENT THAT COST OVER 70.00 WE HAVE ABOUT 4, 000 SQUARE FEET OF LAWN AND THE TECH USED A HAND...

ruined my lawn and mulch beds

This company ruined my lawn... They aerated and oveseeded in the fall. A part of my lawn died and turned to...

do not work for this company or get there service

Horrible company, horrible employer, dont even use their own product, they use a cheap brand from overseas to...

poor service

After several conversations with different customer service representatives about the many issues our lawn suffered under their care, the invoices received reflecting charges that we were told would be waived, it is clear being their customer is a gamble.

Under their so call care, our lawn was actually worse than when we used to apply the fertilizer ourselves. More weeds, yellow grass, voles, and it is clear they missed some large areas of our lawn.

Nevertheless, and after many complaints and senseless explanations from their customer representatives blaming a “rough summer”, we have learned our lesson, and formally inform them in writing that we are cancelling their service.

chemically overtreated my new yard

Hired Scott's (National Lawn Care Company), in April 2010. I just had a new yard put in March 21, 2010...

application and charge

In 2009, I called for Scotts Lawn Service and they applied weed and feed and left an invoice which I paid. In March of 2010, they appeared at my residence and provided weed and feed and left an invoice. I did not call for this service. I called the Waukesha office and spoke with Crystal. I advised her that I did not call for an application. She stated to me that since I used them in 2009, it was automatic. They keep coming back until you cancel. She asked why I did not want to pay the invoice and I stated that I was moving as well and would not enjoy the lawn. Crystal advised me that she would dispose of the bill and there would be no charge. I have received 2 invoices since that time. I again called the Waukesha office and was advised that Crystal had no authority to cancel the bill and I was still on the hook. Further negotiations resulted in them cutting the invoice in half and they would send me a new statement. I am less then pleased with this transaction and asked that they never come back.

• Kj
    KJonny Jun 06, 2012

We did not even call them and they came! Never heard of them before and now they want to bring the case to the court!!! I wonder how they are even allowed to keep the business running! They should have their license removed forever.

• Bc
    bChindhy Sep 18, 2012

I am in the same dilemma as yoy are I did not ask for their service and they are invoicing my address under a wrong name and my lawn lokks worst than ever.I think I should be the one suing them for trespassing and destroying my lawn without my permission.

weeds

Scotts Lawn Service decided they should spray for weeds in my yard...again! Well isn't that nice. They could see that the last treatment did not do any good so for $37.00 more they would treat it again. What a racket and they don't ever feel embarrassed to ask for more money. How do these people stay in business?

• Do
    doris Crutchfield Mar 29, 2010

We have been doing business with Scotts for a couple of years now. Our yard looks worse then it ever has. The yard is full of weeds. Last year they told us it was do to the dry weather. This year must be because of the wet weather. Last year I personally pulled up a huge yard bag full of weeds. Two days later Scotts showed up and left me a message stating that they had done a good job of getting rid of the weeds. The nerve! I don't know what they use to "control" the weeds but it must be nothing but water because the weeds love it.

misrepresentation of service

I was told that I could decide if I wanted a monthly service & then they came out as they wished & billed me. When I called to complain, the guy read me a line which stated they had no program like this & the person who sold wouldn't say this basically callingt me a liar. He was rude & condescending--reading me back same statements as if I did not understand English. He cancelled my service & only wanted to know when I would fork up the amount due. Without contacting me, they sent this balance to collections.

canceled service and they continued

They had called me in Fall of 2008 and asked if I was pleased, I said actually no. I want to cancel my service. Come Spring 2009, they started up again. I didn't enter into the 'prepay' contract like I had done years before. I ignored any solicitation they sent. After my husband sees them at our property, I contacted them. They would not remove the charge for the work they performed that day. I was under contract with another company. So, I would be charged for the same work 2x. After so many automated calls, I would often speak to a rep who said they were looking into it. I get a letter from collections. They shouldn't be allowed to do automatic rollover service without written authorization. I've contacted the attorney general. I also paid them to get rid of them. I'm hoping my $37.89 will be lost in their profits from my big mouth telling all friends/ family NOT to use them.

• Le
    Leaky May 18, 2012

I have a similar problem with Scotts Lawn Service, but different location, Puyallup, WA. The rep came and asked me if I wanted their fertilization service. I told him that I was only interested in one service, not regular repeated service. I told him to make sure not to send any one back. Sure enough, they came back a couple of months later and left an invoice. I called them a few times to tell them what happened and requested them to void the invoice. Almost a year later, I got a note from collection agency for not paying the bill. I was too busy and didn't want to waste my time to deal with it, so I pay the bill, but it still left a dent in my credit report. To make matter worse, a week later, I got another invoice from Scotts Lawn Service that was left at my front door for the service that they just did, but I never requested. This company is a real SCAM. They need to be put out of business for being operating FRAUDULENTLY! I will make sure to spread the words to whereever I can so people don't do business with this company!

• Ge
    gep rodriguez Dec 18, 2012

Its all ### bad service, they dont cover the entire lawn, My lawn went from not looking too good to worse in 8months the weeds are coming in faster than before with dead areas here and there, when I call the office its all ### they tell me I will have a checkup visit There were no signs anyone came, I call again nothing is done approx 300 dollars later My lawn is ### now, Scotts hdqtrs should not allow this Because their name is being put to shame

poor company

As a former employee of Scotts Lawn Service.I will tell you they lie about the products they promote they will use and will use lesco products and such like in place.After the recall they had for not registering products with E.P.A. and agreeing to sending letters to customers to land in the mail on a Friday they did a nation wide of turning of their phone systems so not to answer customers concerns.They consistently violate laws in making applications in the pouring rain because if the employees don't they will be terminated.All of this probally has to be due to the fact all the upper management at Scotts Lawn Service are 85 % True Green Chem Lawn employees if that doesn't explain it.

• Fr
    Frank May 24, 2009

Amen to what was said above. I am a lawn tech also and this has to be the worse company to work for, far worse than any Walmart or retail place in America. Not only are they making you do applications in the rain (without giving techs rain gear) they force to work 60-70 hours a week at 1/2 rate pay over 40 hours.

I would never hire us to do a lawn, 90% of the techs are overworked with routes they just open up spreaders or ghost properties saying they did it.

• Us
    usmc4life69 Feb 04, 2012

I am a current Scotts employee, and have been for several years, as a tsr. Bottom line is if you don't want to work, then file for unemployment... The lawn care industry is hard, and it is called WORK, not fun. I have never seen any Scotts employee even suggest that a non-Scotts fertilizer be applied to any lawn, and the meer thought of it is not only morally wrong, but just plain stupid. As far as the rain goes...do we not tell every single customer to water in our applications?! It is only water, and I am plretty sure that none of us has melted yet, and I am not going to hold my breath.

The routes are based on the amount of customers versus the amount of tsr's. We have no problem meeting goals and being efficient at our branch, maybe you could have your gm send your guys here for a week to see how we do things.

I am just defending a great company, it seems that you may have some mgt issues.

scotts lawn service is crooked

I actually worked for Scotts Lawn Service, located in Runnemede, NJ. Scotts has been around for years and...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices