Santander Consumer USA Logo

Santander Consumer USA

Having problems with Santander Consumer USA?

1010 W. Mockingbird Lane, Suite 100
Sat7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

Santanderincompetent

Santander took over citifinancial auto loans. Of course no notice was given to the customers. No statements mailed out for 3 months. To make a payment over the phone a fee of $10.95 is charged. Although it was due to there negligence that customers did not recceive a statement you are still required to pay this fee to a payment they will post whenever they want. I absolutely hate this company. They are so unprofessional and disorganized. It seems the only way they acquire clients is to buy out other companies and leave customers with no choice. I can not get this loan paid fast enough so that I can stop dealing with this idiots.

• AuntieM Sep 24, 2010

Yep, no word that we were going to be switched over. And all the reps do not know what is going on - or at least they all are liars which I have caught several of them doing. Still the same workers there with some new ones. They make it sound like they are not the same people and have no idea what is going on. Liars! Bunch or run arounds so your interest rate and amount of car pay off is more, then they charge you late fees when they tell you to be late so you qualify for help. Very crooked!
      We were approved for a loan modification right before the switch over. Now Santander won't recognize anything that Citifinancial had going on with their customers and won't honor our loan modification. Horrible horrible company! I've read elsewhere that others are having the same problem with lies and payments goof ups, loan modifications that were approved and then taken back when Santander took over. Stay away from these people! I plan on reporting them to the BBB and contacting my attorney.

Tooz Oct 09, 2010

Aggrivated83- i understand your frustration! They are not a customer friendly company in the least. They are very disorganizrd and their customer service is largely non existant. Legally they do not have to send you a statement as the contract does not specify that. However not sending statements to your customers is about as bad as you can get customer service wise. That being said, you are either mistaken, outright lying, or embellishing for effect when you talk about Santander not sending you a statement for three months. That is simply not true. You posted this on 9-24, and Santander bought Citi on 9-6...since Santander hasnt ownes Citi for three months its not possible for them to have missed three months...although Citi Auto might have.

Auntie M- I know of someone that works there and they are completely confused. Apparently upper management tells them nothing and things change from day to day. Their employees are apparently paid pretty poorly as well, which I am sure doesnt help matters. Your modification issue is intriguing...but be sure you have your ducks in a row before going to an attorney. Unless you have a signed copy, proof that Citi/Santander received the proper paperwork on time, and confirmation that Citi executed the modification, a trip to an attorney will just cost you a ton of money and will net you nothing in the end. Santander doesnt have to honor a modification or settlement that was only approved or proposed by Citi but not actually executed. Not honoring the proposal is bad business however, and if you dont have the proof, id stick to complaining to BBB about how poorly they treat the consumer, and then try and refinance with another company or pay off the loan asap so these buffoons make as little money on this loan as possible.

• AuntieM Oct 10, 2010

I have proof that it was faxed over in a timely manner, I have all the names of the people and managers that told me that I was approved before the transition and the reps name with Santander the same day of the transition that confirmed to my husband we were approved.
      It was a week later that everything changed and new reps said to my husband and I that Citifinancial Auto rules no longer applies and that there was no one I could talk to that would help us - that they could not transfer me to anyone not even a manager. They want the late payments all caught up now.
      I agree, they don't have to do anything to help. No need for them to keep any of their words.
      They haven't kept their "verbal" word since the day I got my loan with Citifinancial Auto, and Santander is not any better - just far worse.
      A refinance will not work for me either because of what they have me down as owed compared to what the car is worth, I have not been able to get a loan.
      Plus, they put on my credit that I have been late. And the only reason I was late because they told me I had to be. What a mess!
      And for those who wonder why I have a loan when I can not afford it...I could afford it a lot easier before the bail out and I can still afford it as long as I do not go to the doctor or by my meds. Unfortunately I am one of those people that lost their jobs because of the mess companies like Citifinancial had put us in and am now a one income household.
      Trying to find another job, but my health conditions have limited my ability. Such as life, eh?
      I will be one of the many joining the class action against them. They should be held liable to keeping their words like any fair business practice. And Santander should stand by their motto that they so much liked reciting to me:
      We here at Santander keep our promise and we expect the same from our customers".
      Yeah, mmmkkk.

Tooz Oct 13, 2010

AuntieM - I think you have a very valid case. A lot of times on these complaint boards you read some real garbage, but your case is anything but. I would definitely discuss with an attorney. Companies like CitiFinanial Auto and Santander need to understand that a contract works both ways. If a consumer violates a contract, you can believe the company will be there waving it in the consumer's face. If a company violates a contract they are let off the hook all too often. I believe you will win any lawsuit. I wish you the best! Go get em!

• Am
      AmiKang Nov 13, 2010

I agree and am in the works writing a letter to the better business bureau, their compliance dept, and the newspapers. The harrassment I have received from this company is disgusting and I don't understand how it is legal!

• Va
      Va Beach, VA Nov 14, 2010

I, too, had my loan with Citifinancial, and never a hiccup until this takeover by Santander. The first notice I received was a LATE notice. Real nice.

Then they wanted to charge me a fee to pay the payment. I asked for the next payment due date and she said that they had changed from the original payment dates of my previous lender ( no wonder it is LATE!) and that I would see the information on my next statement. Now...a phone call today telling me I am late again- though no statement was ever sent.

Customer service never answers, my logins don't work on the website and when a rep does call they are on a script to collect payment only - NOT answer questions. Go ahead..ask a question and see the argumentative and sarcastic nature come alive. The woman barely spoke English to boot.

Just out of curiosity, I asked a supervisor what my payoff would be on the loan. She quote me considerably HIGHER than what was on the late notice. Hmmmm. When I asked why, she said rudely and defiantly noted that wasn't always accurate information. Well, if it isn't accurate then are we supposed to guess? Sounds like a no-win and perhaps EXACTLY what they intend for it to be.

So, after that introduction to this company here I sit...late again on a payment due to misinformation or no information and if these fools would just stick to sending a statement and the information that appears on it, life would be much easier on everyone.

I don't understand why companies seemingly TRY to be difficult. I don't understand HOW they stay in business. This is a poor excuse for a business and one that should be avoided at all costs.

Stay away. Far, far...

My advice to Santander -

Communicate effectively - in English, with statements bearing correct information and LISTEN to customers.

K. French
      VA Beach, VA

Santander Consumer USAmisled by company

I had a auto loan with citi financial auto I got a letter an sept 6 2010 saying that the company has changed there name to santander consumer usa but my loan wasnot sold to this company I was in agreement with citi auto that if I n=made 28 payments that I did they would modify the loan to a payment that I could afford well santander con sumer usa says they need two more payments that citi said that they needed 28 well this loan is only serviced by santander consumer usa so they tell me that citi has no power in this matter well if citi still ownes the loan and santander is only a third party vendor thats works for citi they should honor the agreement that I had with citi I have been out off work for 1 year and a half and my wife is handling the loan barely santander is a shady company all beware of this company they are just like citi financial auto do not get a loan with both companys you will be sorry thank you

HELP MAKE CHANGE Sep 23, 2010

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FILE A COMPLAINT WITH FTC SO THAT SANTANDER CONSUMER USA CAN BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS GO TO: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov AND FILE YOUR COMPLAINT ASAP, IT ONLY TAKES 5 MINUTES THANK YOU!

Santander Bank — vicious and unprincipled

Santander is attenpting to close a sba3 business line of credit we have had with sovereign bank for year...

Winchester

Santander Consumer USAharassing calls, late fees

I feel everyones frustration! Ever since they have taken over our payments have been late. But its not our fault! We having been making our payments for three yrs through western union. Our first incident occured when they called my husband saying they had not recieved our payment a few months ago. We had to call western union and they said that it was sent to the wrong acct. So I called santander and they said they needed to send a confirmation or a request for change letter to the manager. That took 2 weeks to fix. Our payments are due on the 12th of each month. We will get a phone call each day after the 12 if our payment is not made, and thats because when they call the first day we tell them it will be a few days late. Well for the month of september I went to go make my payment at our heb through western union. It wouldnt take it because I needed to put the full 17 acct. Number but our acct. Number is only 11 digits long. Meanwhile we still are getting calls and thats because we told them what was going on. So I went to another store trying to pay it through western union and they said it was saying they had no records with our acct number when she tried to send the payment through. My husband recieved a phone call that we were late he told them again we were trying to make the payment but it wouldnt go through. Instead of the man being worried about why and what the real problem was, he wanted our bank information. He told my husband he had one day to get the money in the bank and call him back with our acct number and routing number. He was very eager on the phone to have our banking information. My husband told me to put the money in our acct the next day. I told him no! We have always payed through western union and we were not changing it. It did not seem right. So they called us tonight... My husband told him we were not paying through our checking acct. And guess what... He hung up on my husband. Realizing this wasnt the number we usually call. He called the number that comes on our statement and the lady tells him not to enter our whole acct only partial. If this doesnt work tomorrow I dont know what else to do. They are not getting our bank info! Meanwhile im just curious if this is reflecting on our credit!

• La
          lani00 Sep 17, 2010

welcome come to our jersey website: http://www.b2cjersey.us

everybody!sorry bother your time a min, we are serious and professional

jersey supplier, we can offer NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA jerser, the NFL jersey

18usd each, the NHL jersey 38USD each.MLB jersey 18usd each, NAB jersey

18usd each.we have many jerseys of other players, so please contact us

for more information if you are interested in .

1) More pictures available on our website ( http://www.b2cjersey.us )
          2) Many colors available .
          3) Perfect quality, small order accepted .
          4) 100% safe door to door delivery, within 5 - 7 days air express for

small orders .

5) We have lots of jerseys in stock

6) Letters and number are sewn on jerseys body, 100% embroidery

7) Size: .48, 50, 52, 54, 56, 60

8) Delivery by UPS, DHL, EMS door to door

9) Delivery in 5 - 7 days

NFL, NBA, MLB all are 18usd!!!

The jerseys in stock may be updated everyday !
          come on, join us!

Tooz Oct 09, 2010

Frustrated Ortiz's - what probably happened ia a mixup in the account nunbers. What you see on your statement or what is discussed on the phone is often a "short" account number, which is a truncated account number used for convienience so that the rep can quickly access an account or so the customer can more easily remember it. This account number is usually all you need for everything associated with the account. Sometimes there is also a "long"'account number as well however which you may not be aware of. These long account numbers are usually utlized by an accounting group. Since payments are done through accounting in many cases, this may present cash application problems. In your case, the 11 digit number may be the short account number and the 17 digit account number may be the accounting version. For example, the long acct number may be [protected], but may he shortened to [protected]. This could cause a problem when they apply payments as the accounting system may not recognize what you referenced, hence whn western union tries to send the payment, it gets rejected. To remedy just call santander and getnthe full 17 digit number and it should work great. Santander reps are calling you because the payment isnt posted and thus your account is technically past due. I have a feeling the nonchalant rep that wanted your bank info likely is very underpaid by collectiom standards and probably derives a portion of their income via incentive pay. Not an excuse for poor customer service though. Nowhere in the contract does it state that you have to pay by giving your bank info over the phone...so no matter what the rep says you are right and totally justifed not giving out the data if youre not comfortable doing so. The rep was obviously trying to get credit for the payment before his cycle closed. If you had paid over the phone, chances are you would have avoided a late charge and kept your account current, although the rep could have given you the full santander account number and your husband could have ran to western union and made the payment just the same. In any case, the rep behaved badly. As for your credit, unless you are two payments behind you will be ok...finance companies dont report if youre only a few days behind...but they will report at 30 days past due when youre officially behind two payments and due for three. Its just not economically feasible for a finance company to report to the credit bureaus for every minor delinquency they encounter. Finally, i have to say I do not see any evidence of harassment here. Santander has every right to call you regarding the loan, particularly if its past due. With the economy the way it is its not surprising a finance company would be proactive.

• Am
          AmiKang Nov 13, 2010

Tooz - They have every right to call you but they do not have the right to call you and bully you, tell you off, leave threatening messages, call you liars and treat youlike garbage. Their customer service is appalling! I did Customer service 8 years. This is not how you do business!

Santander Consumer USAterrible service!

Originally my loan was with road loans, bought out by drive financial, later acquired by santander consumer usa. I have had this loan for just under 4 years now and have always paid on time, never a single day late in 4 years. For the past 6 months I have been unable to make online payments on their website. I called them repeatedly and each time I am told by yet another rude agent that they can't help me with the website, in fact no one seems to be able to run their website or manage those accounts. They "graciously" offer to take my payment by phone (for a $10.95 fee each time) which I decline. This month I was determined to make this website work. I tried everything - forgot username, forgot password, recreating my account... Nothing worked. So I call again (ever the optimist) and my payment was due yesterday because i'm messing around trying to make this online payment work, and I am sent to the collections department where a rude man starts yelling at me that my payment is late and I need to pay it immediately by phone. I said, i'm sorry, it was due yesterday. He says yes, now it is in collections! I just had to laugh a little at the absurdity of it all. So I decline the $10.95 fee to pay on the phone, he threatens me that I will be charged the same amount for every day that it is late. All the while, he sounds furious? So I ask him if he is ok because he sounds like he might have a stroke. Now he starts lecturing me about how not paying my bills is only going to hurt me. So I remind him I have never been late in over four years and I ask him why he is being so rude, at which point he hangs up the call. Incredible! I wrote their customer service an email about my experience but i'm quite sure they don't give a damn, they have made that very clear. I recommend that no one do business with this company!

santander is horrible Sep 27, 2010

Unfortunately Citifinancial gave me no choice but to deal with this horrible Santander. Utterly pissed off.

Tooz Oct 09, 2010

Lilliefae - usually I read these complant boards and laugh at the absurdity and idiocy of the people writing them...usually the complaints are stupid and baseless. Reading your complaint however is a bit refreshing...you have a VERY valid point. I know a person that works there and fron what they said the place is a mess. Citifinancial auto reps were hired at santander, given a crash course for training, and told to get busy on a system they barely know. Apparently the managers that were brought over from citi are equally in the dark. Chances are the reason you cant get an answer on the web payments are because the reps themselves dont know, and no one cares to tell them. Ive also heard they had take a HUGE paycut to avoid being laid off...and that a small incentive is paid to top collectors. Since that small incentive may be the difference between turkey and balogna for these guys, its not surprising that ive heard so much about jow bad they are. Santander obviously doesnt care for their customers, and thinks so little of their customers that they sabotage the customer service process by being unreasonably inflexible and cheap. If i were you i would try to refinance through another lender asap or see if you can trade your vehicle in to pay off the loan so that these jerks dont make a dime off of you whom they seem to care so little for. One other thing, id write a full on letter to their upper management...so they know their approach is flawed. Or, give another call but this time ask for a manager, and then ask for the managers manager and so on until you get to someone thats really in charge!

Santander Consumer USA — customer service and unexplained fees

In february of 2010 santander consumer usa took over my loan with hsbc auto finance, as hsbc went out of...

Santander Consumer USA — excessive late fees

I had an auto loan with soverign bank, which was purchased or however it panned out now became santander...

Santander Consumer USAawful customer service

I am so sick of talking to customer service representatives that I cannot understand, and they cannot understand me. I was just on the phone with Santander's customer service and apparently it was time for them to close. My phone call was cut off! How tacky is that? When I called back an automated message said that the call center was closed for the day. Gee, thanks. The whole reason I called was because their online account access has NEVER worked, and I needed assistance to make some account changes. I am very displeased that Santander is in charge of my loan now, I never had problems like this with HSBC.

• Pr
              professinoal crooks Sep 29, 2010

I Cant stand this company.. I should have never purchased my car through this company. I called an asked the customer service lady about how they determine how much money goes to principal and how much goes to interest.. Well the lady sat on the phone arguing with me telling me "well first you need to tell me why you were two days late making your payment" I was like what are you talking about, so what I was two days late making my car payment you have the payment that is all that matters.. So she refused to give me the information and I asked for a supervisor and she hung up on me. I called back and the same crap happen, I never can get an answer for anything I ask for with this company.. I advise everyone and anyone who is getting a loan not to use this company they are crooks and don't care about the people they lend to. I should have and will in the future do extensive research before I ever get another loan for a car or anything else for that matter.

NOLA Baby Dec 08, 2010

Since my car loan was sold to Santander from Citifinancial paying my notes have been a
              nightmare. The customer service is the worst that I have ever had, I have setup auto draft
              a few times and for whatever reason they still can't get it right. I am refinancing ASAP!!!

henson lisa Dec 09, 2010

My health has bottomed out the last 6 months. Additionally, I have went through the most horrifying identity theft. (and I am a Certified Public Accountant). I too was told that my account would have to reath at least 30 days delinquent before I could get any type of deferrments on my loan payments. I have always paid on time up until this point. I prepare the taxes for 2 of the employees with Santander. They said I would never get a deferrment, they also have a large turn over in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Even with me having all my recent nightmares including getting colon cancer, I myself have been treated rudely, no compassion, they call my home and cell number at lease 8 times a day. I was tricked into making a partial payment last month in order for one of their employees to set up my deferrment but, because she ran the money first within 2 seconds I no longer qualified. They also have put late fees on my account even though I have always paid on time (except for getting sick and I.D. theft). Santander is for people that do not have top grade A credit and they take advantage of us to the and, as if we can afford to hire an attorney and fight them. This is bad business and I would never treat or do anything that they are doing to my clients. I would rather buy a $500.00 car!!! Is there really a class action law suit and/or how can I contact them?

Lisa at e-mail [protected]@att.net or cell [protected]

• Ed
              edie scott Jun 14, 2012

Summer of 2005 I purchased a Travel Trailer that was finance via Thor Credit Cooperation.Since the purchase the contract has been purchased by 4 seperate Finace Co.Currently Santander has the contract.I sent double pyments for more than one yr.Then in Nov.2011 I was informed by one of their numerous collection staff that since the Travel Trailer was listed on my bankruptcy filed in 2007I cannot ever be contacted by them for pym.This angered me that I never receive any payment coupons;book nor receipt of pym.Thus I stopped sending any money after I was given this information in Nov.I only wanted either pym. coupon each month or a [pyment book so when I sent pym. to this crooked co I could feel as though my pym. was not going down a rat hole in Tex. I sent them three letters none of which were ever answered.What occurred is suddenly in May the co staff began calling my cell phone 1-15 times a day using all sorts of phone #'s to mislead me into answering.When I demanded they stop calling my cell phone and send the documents I requested they contacted a repo.Man to come for my trailer which is my primary residence.I then money geramed them $1120.04 which they used $522.00 for interest charges.Since all this transpired I have received all the paperwork I requested for an entire month.Don't finance anything with any co that informs you when questioned they are known for selling contracts to this company

Santanderforgery & fraud

In March 2010, I received a notice from United Auto Credit Corp that my car loan would be moved to Santander Consumer. Ive always paid on time (mostly ahead of time) with a money order, and Ive never been late nor missed a payment. I have about 18 months of payments left. The last week of July 2010 I started receiving calls from Santander, but they never left a message. I called them back and they asked when should they expect their 7/10 car payment. I informed them that I bought and sent a money order on 7/18/10 so they should have it by now. They denied they ever got it, so I contacted the company that my m.o. was issued from, and they informed me that the m.o. was cashed on 8/10/10. They couldnt immediately tell me who cashed it, so I called Santander back and told them the m.o. was cashed.in the meantime, Im getting approx. 4-5 calls a day from these people, which I promptly ignore. I refuse to be stressed out by aggressive debt collection calls ever again, so they can call until the cows come home. Anyway, I called the m.o. company again and they told me to send in $15 to trace the m.o. About 5 days later, I received a copy of the m.o. - it had been altered so bad that my 8 y ear old grandson could have done a better job. My m.o. number was cut from the original, pasted onto a Mexican m.o., and cashed somewhere in Mexico. (And as a sidenote, shame on Continental Express Money Order Co. for accepting such an obvious forged note - I may just include them in my lawsuit.) It was an obvious inside job, as indicated by all of these Santander complaints. These people are crooks and thieves, and I would rather them come get this car and I fight them in court before I pay them another dime. Im also going to file federal charges because of this international scam and Im contacting the Texas Attorney General. Santander should not be allowed to conduct business - they prey on people with compromised credit and steal even more money from us. If anyone has a complaint with Santander, you should not hesitate to contact the Texas Attorney General. They will continue to prey on us unless we all do something about it. Posting a complaint on a board will not stop it!!

• Ci
                cincin0718 Oct 06, 2010

OMG dealing with citi finacial was bad enough and these people sound worse!!

Tooz Oct 09, 2010

Shysters in Tx - youre crazy. They didnt do anything here. You sent in a money order, they didnt receive it, someone else took it and forged it and youve decided its Santanders fault? Wheres your proof? I love the "preys on people with compromised credit" line. Did someone put a gun to your head, take you to a dealership, pick out a car, and make you sign a contract to finance with then? No. Heres how it really happened. You dont pay your bills and no one will finance you except them. They charge higher interest because youre RISKY. Then when the bill comes due you decide not to pay it because you all of a sudden dont like the interest your paying...and how it's not "fair". Funny how it wasnt an issue back at the dealership huh. They call you to collect and all of a sudden its their fault because "they wouldn't work with me". Good luck on your lawsuit pal. Im sure it will be as open and shut as your credit report. Heres an idea...how about all of us with legit beefs with santander and their crappy customer service sue you for wasting our time with garbage like your "complaint". People blame big banks for the sad state of our economy...and they played a big part. But it takes two to tango, and we can also thank deadbeat dirtbags like you that bought a ton of stuff on credit that you couldnt afford and when it came time to pay up you ran and blamed the banks for taking advantage of you and blaming everyone else but yourself. Sadly, if these same banks that "took advantage of you" and granted you credit had denied it instead youd be screaming about how you were discriminated against and how "the little guy" can't get ahead. Guess what? I'm the little guy. I work my @ss off every day, make just enough to live and (actually) pay my bills. Just knowing the bite that Uncle Sam takes out of my paycheck probably ends up helping to bail out the mess deadbeats like you caused is infuriating. You make me sick. I hope you never get a line of credit again. Oh and by the way I'm sure your "lawsuit" will be a sure success.

Shysters in TX Oct 09, 2010

Wow, Im SO happy you got that off your chest. Let me guess - youre one of those people that surf these complaints boards and you just HAVE to reply to make your miserable life feel better, right? Youre the LITTLE GUY? Of course you are! Youre little, small, and pathetic. I dont give a damn what you think about whats going on with my credit or my life, but if you cant contribute something worthwhile on these sites, do us all a favor and shut the [censored] up.

Oh, and by the way - the guy who cashed my money order did work for Santander, found out by the investigation initiated by the Texas Attorney General, so THANKS for your kind words, you [protected]@swipe! Dueces!

shaftedbysantander3 Feb 06, 2011

i cancelled a standing order with santander on 18th october 2010. santanders computers or staff failed to cancel it and it went out again on 4th november 2010. after much phone calls and BS, on 1st feb 2011, santanders final word is 'you have to get it off the people we paid it to'. the people it was paid to will not return it. santander are shysters and i am going to firebomb their shysty little shyster lairs until it kills me.

Shysters in TX Feb 06, 2011

Well, I wish you luck! I had to fax the corporate office MANY times to resolve my problem. With the help of the Texas Attorney General, they finally adjusted my account and took off all my late fees. So be a pain in their ### and maybe you'll be successful too! Take care!

Santander Consumer USA — over charges/no notification

we had a loan through HSBC and have paid our monthly payments and only to HSBC, plus more than amount due...

Santander Bankunscrupulous business practice

My husband and I have been financing a vehicle for 5 years through Sovereign Bank which then got taken over by complete leeches Santander Bank. We were filing a Chapter 13 bankruptcy and decided to change to a Chapter 7 which we have not filed yet, We were waiting for the bank to contact us following the discharge of the 13, so after a month and a half we contacted them. My husband tried to work out an arrangement with them the best they could do was to say we could pay them 1/2 the total we owed the vehicle was almost payed off. So my husband asked if he could talk to a supervisor, she connected him, he then left a message. They never called back, 2 days later they were in our driveway to repossess our van. We immediately called them and said we were trying to pay, they pretty much could care less and we ended up having to pay them $400 plus another $140 fee to the repo company. They are vermin.

Santander Consumer USApredatory lending

This company is a predatory lender, my wife and daughter purchased a car, yes our credit is bad we have had many problems over the years with money but we have always pad off any loan that we have taken out most times costing much more to us due to late fees and the like. This company has made it impossible to even catch up on payments, due to hidden charges, fees and lies about what you owe at any one time to get your account current. They tell you it is current then turn around and tell you OH you did not pay the charges in your last payment and they have been acquiring charges this whole time. They make it impossible for you to stay up on the payments, then charge you for the payments you make over the phone and INTERNET. You could send it by mail but then you have to depend on them to apply it to the account before late charges are attached that they do not tell you about. So far this year we have payed over $1, 500.00 in fees and hidden charges, we live from week to week this is not right that they should prey on the low income population. They should be shut down for their predatory lending practices.

Tooz Sep 20, 2010

The fees are high, absolutely. However you agrees to this situation when you signed your contract. This is the price of bad credit. Regardless of why your credit is bad, you didn't pay your bills as agreed. This means companies are leery of loaning you money. Without these so called predatory lenders you wouldn't have a vehicle or a loan to complain about now would you? No one put a gun to your head and forced you to sign the contract...which means you were fine with the fee structure and costs. Take responsibility for your actions...and start by selling this vehicle asap and use the proceeds to pay off the loan ASAP. Only then can your credit start to heal.

Santander Consumer USAliers, rude, steals titles

This business has proven to me that they are scamers, liers and they steal money. we traded our truck off, santander has told me that the dealership has not sent the payoff check, then it was we will post to your account today the 13th of aug, then it was we lost the check then it was it was posted to the wrong account and now dealership must send copy of cashed check front and back or they will not get the title to the trade in and we will still owe lots of money. I have talked to some flake everyday and email everyday. I cannot believe Gov. Perry has allowed this to go on. I think he is a great man.gov Perry please help these people. AND SHAME ON HSBC, IN SHORT YOU SUCK!

• Tb
                      TB116 Nov 24, 2010

Thank you for the website. I am definately filing a complaint. I paid off my car loan last month and they call my house, my cell phone and my business phone 5 or 6 times a day (each one consecutively) trying to collect my money. My credit score is lower because of them. Every time I speak with a rep, they have no idea about my account. They just keep telling me I owe them money. The ### owe me my title. And, their reps have hung up on me, or simply refuse to help and just say, " You owe us." THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH--EVER! And I refuse to ever use citibank or citifinancial ever again because they sold my loan to santander with only two payments left. Because of the transition, I missed a payment, and then my loan became mature. They repossed my car because I didn't make the final payment. They said they couldn't reach me. But they didn't have a problem stealing my car at 3am on a monday morning. I hate them.

Santander Consumer USAegregious accounting practices & horibble customer service

My auto loan was owned and serviced with HSBC Auto Finance Company (without incident) until March of 2010 at which time Santander became the servicing agent. My Loan was handed to them with only 4 pymts left on the loan. My payments were made promptly with HSBC. Even though I did not receive information as to where to send my payments, I proactively went online to Santander's website to make my first payment online to ensure that I was not late in making my payment; however, Santander began charging my account with late fees. I contacted the Customer Service to have the matter resolved and this is when the nightmare began. I have presented them with evidence upon evidence indicating my promptness in making my payments and they somehow turn my evidence against me because as one of the Customer Service Representatives (CSRs) stated, "because they can without the customer's consent." I have tried to have these matters resolved without litigation, but there appears to be no other solution. I paid overpaid my loan in July 2010 (and have proof of that) to bring my balance to $0.00 to rid myself of business with Santander. Yet, somehow they have managed to place balances on my account - one day the balance is the amount I paid off, the next day it's $1174.#. Today, the balance on my account read: $324.#. Thank God for HSBC for even thou Santander ran amuck with my account, I received my Certificate of Title from HSBC in the mail today. HSBC upheld their agreement with me and honored it. I still however, feel that FTC or BBB or whomever can, need to have Santander dissolved in business. It is the worst example of Consumer Lending I have ever known. There should REALLY be LEGAL ACTION (S) brought against them - maybe then they would be consummate in their customer service. I'm still concerned about the negative information that was most likely given to credit reporting agencies re: to my account due to their extreme display of malice and vindictiveness. A class action suit should be sought and brought against Santander Consumer USA for misaligning the credit-worthiness of their customers and punitive damages sought for the aggravation and distress their CSRs cause.

Sovereign Bankthieves

I'm a Sovereign costumer for 2 years. I had everything well in my account for 2 years. Until one day I had a fee problem. They charge me $35 dollars for each payment I did I that day. So, the total was $280. I didn't knew that I had insufficient money, and only in that day the rob me almost $300 and the payments I did were $100.

I tried to fix with my branch manager and nothing. Call the costumer service, that is horrible. She just looked to my account and said that everything was legal and they couldn't help me.

Then I talked to the costumer service manager who told me nothing could be done. And I told her, I was going to close my account and all my family because It wasn't anymore a money issue, it was about a "robot" bank that forgot that they have people behind that accounts. My money market had money and I had a clean record. So, if that don't mean nothing I don't want a bank like that.

Don't open a account. They are thiefs and people that only see money. They don't care about their costumer.

Santander Consumer USAharrassing calls and inaccurate balances

Santander took over for Drive Financial who originally had my car loan. Drive Financial was bad enough but Santander calls me one day after a payment is due to ask when my payment is going to be made. They call on average of 14 times a day. They call on two lines at work and my cell phone. If I wasn't the one answering the phone at work, I would be in a lot of trouble for getting that many calls.

They also have increased the balance on the account even when the payments were on time. The balance on the statement does not reflect nearly as many payments as I have actually made. When I inquired as to why, customer service told me I would be able to get a print out of all transactions on the account. I requested it three times. I have NEVER received one report. I believe they are overcharging interest and adding fees that are not legal, but I can't prove it without their breakdown.

These people MUSt be stopped. they break all the rules and get away with it!!

• Pa
                            patrice1 Aug 04, 2010

They have terrorized my daughter and as a single parent trying to make ends meet in this economically challenged time, their tactics are not helpful. They constantly call my home, where she does not live, and harass me and my husband. The auto she has a loan for should be paid off in about a year but with all of their outragous fees she still owes nearly what she took the loan out for. How is a person suppose to catch up when they are behind in the first place. There should be a law against what they can charge and their tactics.

• Th
                            thirdeye Aug 16, 2010

They do not get away with it IF WE stand up as individuals first to resolve our individual problems, but most importantly get together as a collective and file a class action lawsuit for Unfair Credit Reporting, Unfair Debt Collection practices, and Unethical banking. I had a problem with Santander reporting my account being late when it was not. When I called, I was told that I didn't have a valid argument even though I cited the FCR policies that related to me. Finally, although they acknowledged their error, they referred me to the credit reporting complaint division who did nothing. I had to file a dispute with all three bureaus to have it corrected, when it would have been simple enough for them to just remove the error. Why don't we contact an attorney and call for those who have had problems and either put them out of business, hit them in their pockets, or at the least force them to abide by the federal policies that are SUPPOSED to govern their operation.

Santander Consumer / Drive Financial — unfair practices

I also had a car loan from road loans, who then became drive financial and finally santander consumer. They...

Santanderlies and calls all the time

Santander just called me telling me they want the car or I have to pay right now they then told me that they can garnish my wages if you google it you will see is what I was told so I did 41. South Carolina Wage Garnishment

Wage attachment is prohibited in South Carolina. SCCLA 37-5-104.

wow looks like a lie a huge one there lol. They will tell you anything they can to get money I don't get how this comp even has anything but bad pr I want to see them go down I am going to go to every car dealer ship and let them read all the complaints then as think any of the folks here would ever get a car from you more then once knowing you use a comp like this. Make them think about how they will not get anyone to buy more then one car from them and with me driving a billboard that tells how bad they are want to be what will happen even more?

Hey santander when you read this run over to your books and look at who has a blue 2008 billboard that says don't use this comp they screw you all the time.
                          Have a good day and may the bbb shut you down

shaftedbysantander Jan 19, 2011

dont forget, february 4th 2011 is offical start of 'vandalise your local santander branch until they go bust'. this corrupt organisation is robbing savers ( including me ) all over the world of their money. if only we knew where their policy makers lived we could go around and put them down, but we dont. instead the best we can do is demolish their public facing property.

Santander Consumernegligence

Situation: Santander Consumer took over HSBC. With HSBC, when you call for a payment deferment, they will tell you yes or no. Santander took over the company. I called in for a deferment and they verbally told me "ok you’re all set". A month later I get a bill for the past month with a late fee. It was not differed. So I called to complain, and they said they have to repeat the process to fix the problem. It got deferred; however they didn’t remove the late fee. So I called and spoke to JIM ROY SCOTT, accounts manager, who refused to remove the late fee after apologizing for the negligence. Who also refused to give me the number to complaints (only given me a P.O. box number, says that there is not a number to complaints). The late fee is $17.06. Small right, but lets multiply this, if this was to happen to ONE MILLION clients, the company takes $17, 060, 000.00 (17 Million) from the public. Justice must be served!

Santander Consumer USAharassment calls

This company calls me every five days I have retained an attorney to file bankruptcy. I called Santander to relinquish the vehicle and request that they pick it up. They told me they could not pick up the vehicle until I gave them a case #. I keep getting calls on my work and cell phones and I keep telling them the same thing and have given them my attorney info. I'm keeping a log of every time they call me and I give them the attorney info because obviously they don't train their employees about the law and protection consumers have from the FDC. Let em keep calling, I hope they have to pay a fine for every call. Here is the letter I will be sending them:

Santander
                              P.O. Box 961245
                              Fort Worth, TX [protected]

Re: Account #

To Whom It May Concern:

This will serve as your legal notice under provisions of federal law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act FDCPA, to cease all communication with me in regard to the above referenced debt. I have retained an attorney and you may contact him regarding this matter at Michael Law Offices.

If you fail to heed this notice, I will file a formal complaint against you with the Federal Trade Commission who is responsible for enforcement of the FDCPA, the States Attorney General’s office, The American Collectors Association, local State Bar Association and Illegal Practices of Law Association.

By sending this letter it is my intension to stop all your calls from this day forth.

You are also notified that should any adverse information be placed against my credit reports as a result of this notice that appropriate actions will be taken. Please give this very important matter the utmost attention.

Sincerely,

Certified Mail #___________________________________________________

Collection Agency Notice: This is an attempt to make a debt collector obey the law. Any information obtained, will be used for that purpose. All my phone numbers will be monitored and tape recorded for my protection starting from the date I have signed above.

• In
                                  In My Opinion Jul 19, 2010

Retaining a lawyer with the intention to file bankruptcy IS NOT actually filing for bankruptcy. Until you actually file & provide them with a case#, they can & will continue their collection process.

At this point in time, they don’t have to speak to your lawyer because the paperwork has not been filed. Say you don’t pay the attorney the entire amount; will they still be filing your bankruptcy case?

You need to talk to these people and make some kind of arrangements. It would be a shame if your car is repossessed before you are able to file the bankruptcy.

• Du
                                  durkadur Jul 28, 2010

the fair debt collections act is actually only for 3rd parties trying to collect... not the actual person for who you owe the debt to. you can view the fair debt collections act online for free and it states that.

• Qu
                                  QuinC Aug 31, 2010

OMG, I am so glad I am not the only one. I have a loan through them and in our contract(we were with Soverign who santander bought) states that our car payments are due on the 21st and are considered late after the first of the following month. Depending on when I get paid It will be a few days late. Well they call me harrasing me. I have never missed a payment before and have never gone past a week of paying them. They then stated some crap about I will get a 5 dollar late charge for every day that it is late. When I told the guy he was full of crap and that that wasnt in my contract he said yes it is and Im telling you about. I said send it to me in writing then. Never got anything. I have also asked them to just draft it out of my account and they never do. They charge you $10 to make a payment over the phone and internet. Im not paying that, i dont have money to give away. My sister worked for the buissness services and she said they do that so they can make some quota and get bonuses at the end of the month.

Tooz Sep 20, 2010

Santander is a pretty difficult company. They do have a right to contact you as often as they wish until you have the case number...at which point you're under the protection of the court. If your loan is owned by Santander, they do not need to follow FDCPA guidelines as these guidelines only apply to third parties. That being said, most companies will deal with the attorney even before a case number is established as contacting you incessantly for a non existent case number is a waste of time. In this case you did do the right thing by sending a cease and desist letter...which does apply to them.

• Fe
                                  feed up is scott Dec 29, 2010

I was with Citi Bank and got told by this Santanders Co. that I had to make my patments to them.Did not no paper work of the switch.It has been a nightmare, And having to file bankructy, But they will not get my can.Only had to do this due to health, reasons.And you can not reason with thim in anyway, just rude people that answer the phones for them..