Santander Consumer USA Logo

Santander Consumer USA

Having problems with Santander Consumer USA?

1010 W. Mockingbird Lane, Suite 100
Sat7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

Santanderzero card

I have repeatedly been charged interest on the zero card though I have always paid promptly and never exceeded my limit. Though the sums are not vast, multiplied by all who use this card and do not detect this extra cost santander are making a huge, illicit profit. I raised this by phone with santander twice and was met with rudeness and indifference. I wrote to them a month ago and have received no reply. Do check your santander statements very carefully.9397b

Santander Consumercompany drags feet on payoff quote

Hsbc turned over my autoloan to santandar. I had read some bad reviews about this company, so I refinanced with a local credit union. The credit union had the paperwork done in a matter of a few days. Now, do you think santandar could deliver on a pay-off quote? A snow ball in * would have a better chance. Get this, the first customer service said she'd put in the request, and it would be faxed to credit union with 24-48 hours. Two days later, I called, and that customer service (a misnomer) said 3-5 days, for sending a fax quote so they could be paid off! So now we moving on 7 days and no pay-off quote yet. Now I wonder how much money they're making off all those good customers who ask for such customer service. I would think that if you multiplied the number of days they drag their feet on a pay-off quote from all their their clients, that it would turn out to be quite a bit of money, don't you think. This kind of practice and others i've read about has to taken on by the bbb and the federal government to regulate these institutions. But isn't capitalism wonderful...

Sovereign Bankpower of attorney refusal

When presented with a power of attorney at the ortley beach, nj office to handle my elderly parent's affairs, I was refused service. This power of attorney is on file in the woodbridge, nj office. After speaking with my attorney, colleen barlowski, the bank employee with a desk behind glass doors, refused to give me the name and address of sovereign bank's legal counsel. She didn't know, even though she speaks with them all of the time. She gave me the name of kori kaldor, whom she seeks legal advice from, but doesn't know if kori is an attorney or not.

Santander Consumersrude manager and tellers..

I was calling regarding about my loans due to charge for late fees that it was not even late.. So spoke to the bank representative and dont even want to listen what im trying to say.. Shes very rude and no manners so I asked her if I can talked to the manager and her reply"shes going to say the same thing" and I asked her again for the manager so I finally talked to the manager "nikki". I havnt even start what my complains nor say.. She jumped right in that I cant do anything about it. Trying to tell me the rules and regulations. > shes the manager and shes very rude also instead of helping the customer shes judging me about things... What kind of manger is that? So I would like actions regarding this manager and her employees.. Thank you..

Santander Consumer USAattempted larceny-suggested course of action

This company has repeatedly attempted to take money from my checking account after being advised on a daily basis that the withdraws were never authorized. Additionally, I was forced to close my bank account because they simply changed the name of the financial services from santander to pinnacle and still attempted to take the funds they were not authorized to take. Additionally, this company refuses to give me a true and accurate payoff quote so I can transfer the loan to a reputable company. I have contacted my elected officials in my area and was advised to contact the federal trade commission and file a formal complaint. They do not handle individual complaints; however, they do take complaints to determine patterns of behavior. If they detect patters of illegal or unethical business practices, they can then take appropriate action through investigations, fines and other actions. Additionally, I have filed a complaint with the north carolina attorney general's office in an attempt to get their license to practice business and their bonding to practice financial matters in nc be revoked. Also, I was assured by frank airehart [protected]) [protected]@santanderconsumerusa.com that he would handle this matter and have it resolved. Again, I was blatantly lied to and rather than fix their attempted larceny on their end, they tried to circumvent the protections on the account (again forcing me to close an account i've had with not problems until this company became involved). Additionally, cindy pena in their customer service department admitted (on a recorded converstation) that santander consumer usa did in fact attempt to take two unauthorized withdrawls from my banking account.

Again, if you have had similar problems with this company, file complaints with both your state ag's office and the ftc. Only through making complaints to these agencies will a true spotlight be shone on their ciminal behaviors.

• Vi
              Vic H. Jun 01, 2010

I feel your pain, I have been dealing with this disreputable, unethical, foreign-owned company since they took over HSBC Auto's accounts. The very first month, they didn't credit my account after cashing my check sent via Online Bill-pay. I have sent proof of payment several times, but they continue to call me and threaten to ruin my credit even though I have sent the written notification to cease communications and proof of invalidity of their claim of not payment.

Their 30 days to correct my account and credit report expires in a few more days. At that time I will be submitting complaints to both the FTC and NC Attorney Gen. Off. for at least the illegal collection calls.

For anyone else out there who is having problems with this company, follow the procedures prescribed in the Federal Fair Debt Collection Act (which Santander seem to willfully ignore even after being informed that they are in violation of it.) and file a complaint as necessary. They seem to have no compunction against using strong-arm and illegal tactics to collect money that is not due them and to put long time customers who have been in good standing in default. It's time to play hardball, too.

• Ge
              Geminiibaby Jun 02, 2010

I hear you on that one. They called me and said that they were deducting my payment from an account that was not even mine. I said that is not my account they said whatever. How can they just take money out. They also did that in my accoutn took two payments out. I called my bank and stopped the other transaction from goign through. Is there anything we can do to get out of our contracts with this illegal and c

• He
              HELP MAKE CHANGE Sep 23, 2010

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FILE A COMPLAINT WITH FTC SO THAT SANTANDER CONSUMER USA CAN BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS GO TO: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov AND FILE YOUR COMPLAINT ASAP, IT ONLY TAKES 5 MINUTES THANK YOU!

Dassa Oct 15, 2010

I closed my checking acount so that this wouldn't. I too, was never notified, just started getting voicemails from this compnay, but they never disclosed why they were calling me. I still haven't called them, and won't. just received my first bill from them. Never told by Citi Financial Auto that they sold my loan to another company. You would think that big banks like Citi, HSBC, etc. would research who they sell their loans to.

Sovereign Bankdeceptive overdraft policy

I incurred multiple overdraft notices due to this bank's deceptive practices. I withdrew my funds and will never bank with them again.

• Gr
                grammy22 Jun 11, 2010

My online check register listed my available balance as $849.62 - and they charged me 5 funds unavailable fees. So yes, they are fraudulent. I waited 4 days after my deposit to pay online bills - each one went through with a new balance total. Everything looked fine for two days until 5 lines of these charges. I called to say they had made a mistake and was told they have the funds available to me at their discretion. I printed out my online statements which clearly shows it as 'available balance' Truly terrible way to treat an account holder. Core States did the same sort of thing years ago and look where it got them. Just a matter of time for Sovereign. Last time I checked, 3 of the 5 local branches were closed. YAY!!!

Santanderbad customer service

I have been paying for my car on time, never late, for over 3 years. Right now, my area is snow bound. I can not afford the fees, so I mail my payments in.

I requested consideration to pay by phone and have the fee waived, because I have never paid late. Guess what... No consideration. Being a good customer counts for nothing.

My original loan was not even through santander. They bought it out. Go figure. When I get done with this loan, they do not have to worry about me as a customer ever again. If they buy out any other of my loans, they will have to take the car.

• Ca
                  Casilda Dantes Nov 10, 2011

For the pass four (4) years i have been paying a monthly payment on my truck, and after being separated from my husband, cause me to relocate from Florida to Georgia, there i had no job for the maintime, and thats the time i couldn't pay the full amount which i had to pay monthly; as a result of this I had my truck reprocess in September month, Immediately i spoke to the Santander that i would settle the payment at the ending of October, whereby I would have my truck but they sold it on the 12th of October leaving me without my ride. Now they calling me after reprocessing my truck to make payment mainwhile I am walking to work without a ride. Presently i'm residing in Brunswick GA. In this has no public transportation, so you can see the hardship of my tranactions.

Santander Consumer USA — the worst customer service ever!

Within the past year or so soverign bank was bought out by santander consumer usa. Having had a lean on my...

Santander Consumer USAcustomer service representatives

Santander consumer usa customer service representatives need to take a customer service representatives course. They are rude and unprofessional. No matter what the situation is customers are always right and you should go out of your way to listen to them and try to help the customer. Santander consumer usa has shown their unprofessionalism toward customers who are in good standing with their loans. My loan was switched to santander in september or october of 2009 and I did not receive notice of this switch until late december early january sometime. I am not pleased with santander consumer usa.

Annoyed with Jun 28, 2010

Just horrible. I made an on line payment for $218.00 on June 23rd and printed out my confirmation. I called customer service the next day and spoke to representative who confirmed my payment of $218.00 was scheduled for June 25th. Today I checked my Santader account and saw that my account was charged $318.00 dollars instead of the 218.00 I requested. I called customer service and when I asked for an explanation the customer service representative became very rude and started screaming. I asked to speak to her supervisor who was even ruder. I told the woman that I had a print out that verified my payment of $218.00. She told me she couldn't do anything about it and it was my fault and she didn't care. I asked her again why an extra $100.00 was taken from my account and she started screaming at me and hung up. These people are just horrible and the company that employs them is even worse and is dishonest and should be fined for its fraudulent practices.

• To
                    Tooz Sep 20, 2010

From what I understand, Santander customer service reps and collectors are paid very very poorly and the working conditions are poor as well. Given that, there is near zero incentive for the reps to alter their behavior. Santander probably doesn't care as long as their labor costs are low. The only way go get something done is to bug the higher ups there, since it's clear the rank and file employees are unable and unwilling to do anything better...and the managers are there only to keep the employees in line.

• Be
                    Bevy Sep 22, 2010

I called 'payment arrangements' for Citi Financial Auto and was shocked when I was transferred to Santander Consumer! I've NEVER heard of them before last week. 9/8/2010 I spoke to "Renaldo" asked to defer a payment. He said it was subject to "manager's approval" and tried to arrange an "alternate arrangement" with me. I insisted he pass it on to his manager, and he said to call back in 1-2 days. Appalled, I called back 2 days later 9/10/2010 and the woman I spoke with tried to arrange and "alternate arrangement" with me. I insisted on speaking with the manager whose name was "Carl". I explained to Carl that we are BOTH on LIMITED DISABILITY income, and we used the truck payment in an emergency to get BOTH Brakes and BOTH Rotors replaced. (Both brake pads turned out to be paper-thin rusty sheets!) He seemed to have trouble comprehending what I told him, although his English was excellent. To my dismay, Carl put me on 'hold' to 'see' if any deferrals were available. (As if it was a QUANTITY decision, when it was a matter of QUALITY customer service, which he was seemingly NOT TRAINED in!) He came back to the phone and told me there were NO deferrals available. He then tried to offer me the SAME
                    "alternative arrangement" the previous 2 agents offered! **This "alternative arrangement" is to make the payment next month! This would be a "double payment" and it is impossible for someone like us on fixed income to accept!** (In thought to myself:) After telling Carl I can barely afford 1 payment, what makes him think I can afford 2 payments?? I let out a sigh, and informed him I did NOT like the "alternative arrangement." He said to "call closer to the due date" to make payment arrangements. (As if to get out of being flustered!)

Santander Consumerholding ocerpayment

I refinanced a truck with well fargo bank and they paid off my loan with santander and while the check was being sent santander took another payment out of my account and it has overdrawn my account the overlimit fees are killing me when I contacked santander for my overpayment they have a 30-45 day wait for me to get my overpayment back. I'm out of money and I filed a complaint with the bbb and they have 22 days to respond someone out there want to laon me a airplane I think I can get their attention if I fly down there and into the main office.

Santander USA Auto Financepoor practices

Within the past two years, we used a product from a company as a temporary solution to buy a truck. It was a high interest loan which we intended to refinance. With the current economic conditions, loss of employment etc. We were not able to refinance that loan.in addition, I have recently been deployed to iraq. Under the soldiers and sailors debt protection act we requested that the interest be reduced to the six percent as conditioned underneath that act. Santander has flatly refused to do so.in addition, customer service was unecessarily rude with my wife when she called to follow up on a letter that santander felt uncompelled to answer. We have made approx. 24 payments each and every payment on time or prior to the date it was due. At some point I would think that santander would view us as a good customer. Way to go santander and a outstanding job backing your country.

• Dt
                        dtreash Oct 14, 2010

Actually, Sandander customer service is in Texas. So is the auto division. They recently bought HSBC's auto divison, which was in NY, I think.
                        Anyway, it doesn't matter where the company is... If they do business in the United States, they must adhere to all Federal and State regulations.
                        However, I believe the Sailors Act (SSCRA) only pertains to a mortgage on a primary dwelling, rent if payment is less than 1200, and credit cards. It also delays action on certain civil processions, such as foreclosure, bankruptcy, or divorce

Also, the spouse may still be held liable for the debt.

To learn more about these or other provisions of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act, contact your unit or installation legal assistance office.

Santander Consumer USA — customer service

Santander bought my car loan from another bank. Although payments were up to date there was a late fee from...

Santanderharassment

Santander has been harassing us by phone for several months trying to collect a debt owed by our son, who does not live with us. It is in regard to a motor vehicle, an avalanche, which our son, edgar e. Smith ii, no longer owns. We are senior citizens and our credit rating is excellent. We have told them that our son does not live with us and we are not responsible for any of his debts. But not only do they harass us by phone on a daily basis, but they come during the night to post warning notices on other cars owned by ourselves and our daughter. We have asked them to stop, but they insist they will keep on calling until they get their money.

Edgar e. Smith, sr.
                      Theresa a. Smith

Santander Consumer USAcopy of contract once taken over from drive financial

I have sent in several registered letters, overnight requiring signatures requesting copies of my loan agreement that I originally made with drive financial and every time I call they say we will get that out to you today... It has never come!

I one year later still do not have a copy of my financial agreement originally entered into with drive financial!

They both suck and I am seeking an attorney because I do believe that they have their own terms and dinterest rate attached and that is not what I signed!!! They bought the debt and can't prove it to me that I have a loan with them and the terms... Well then I suppose that I don't owe them any money because they can't provided a written agreement with the terms!

They suck!

• To
                            To old for this aggavation Apr 20, 2010

I, also was with Triad, but since this company took over, I don't expect to see my title to my car, as it was paid off in March 2010, and they are trying to get more money out of me, stating" I only paid one half of a payment, which is a lie, as I had the account on Auto Pay.
                            Hope these people have to cough up misused fund.

• Ge
                            Geminiibaby Jun 02, 2010

Hi
                            I actually asked them the same thing and to fax them to me and that was over a week ago. Something just doesn't seem right with this company. What someone told me was to make sure that the contract they have is the same as the contract you have. My payments were suppose to be $509 per month and when I got my first statement it was $709 a month.

Santander — everything

This company is horrible. We originally had our car loan through drive finical, in april 09 we filed...

Santander Consumer USA — unethical service

I am late by 45 days because the car that I owe 10, 000 for keeps breaking down and I have to repair it. I...

Santander — missing money

Santander are incompetent idiots. I sent them over £6000 in 2 cheques for over £6000 to pay off 2...

Sovereign Bankoverdraft charges

I have been with sb for many years and have never had a problem with them. However, in these difficult times they charged me for insufficient funds in my checking when I had more than enough to cover it in my savings. I was flabbergasted. I went in to try and rectify the situation and they let me know that I am allowed one per year. The fact that the check I wrote to my sister (who is also a sb member, thanks to me) exceeded what was in my checking account they would not take it from my savings and also they would not make a courtesy call to you. So they tried to take that money from my account a second time and charged me again for the insuffincient funds, instead of taking it out of my savings account. They were quick to let me know that it was now two overdrafts in one year and I am only allowed one per year. You would think that when I became a customer they would have suggested that? But why should they, its an easy way to make money. I would never understand why they did not take it from my savings or consider that I have been with them for soooooo many years and have never had an overdraft. I have great animosity towards them now. I will go back and withdraw my funds. They are some sneaky #. They dont care how hard you work for your money, in seconds they would milk you without any notification. These banks did not deserve to be bailed out at all, they dont care that my record speaks for itself. Although this money does not seem like much to them it is a lot to me especially when you have a family to feed and have to put up with so much to get a paycheck. They have customer service reps well traied to say "the system will not allow me" "#." I am just disappointed. I used the service of rockland savings bank in rockland, ma in the past and I know from experience that it is a good bank with caring people from top to bottom, and I am talking from experience - I should have listened to folks that warned me about sb, but I tried them for the convenience to my job. It is not worth it. They dont give a # about you!!! I will go back to rockland savings.

• St
                              Steve Aug 22, 2006

Sovereign Bank recently sent all their telephone service jobs to India. The people spend all their time asking you if you've had a nice day etc, rather than being serious about your business, what's more they don't even understand what you are asking them. I recently called to check if an overdraft protection I had applied for had gone through, I asked them repeatedly to make sure, and they assured me that it had. I got hit with 5 overdraft charges totalling $150 the next day because I made a withdrawl that night. When I talked to someone in America, they said that it hadn't gone through. They seemed somewhat concerned, and said that they recorded all their phone calls, I gave them a time window of about 20 minutes as to when I had made that call. Despite promising me they would get to the bottom of it on 4 different follow up phone calls, they never did.

• Er
                              erin Aug 18, 2008

this bank sucks can you believe I had a manager from a bank at my work trying to lure people into direct deposit

I admiited to her Iwas one month behind
                              she said NO problem she would set it up
                              so she set up a direct deposit on my checking account and had it set up where 100 a week went towards my auto loan payment

so even though I am paid through september, . the repo guy came today and took my car nice eh? its going to cost me over 1000 to get the car out. nice isnt it?
                              even though its up to date it went on the principal and late fees only

Dan Sep 01, 2008

i had a bad feeling when i walked into the Soveriegn Bank branch on Grand st. in NYC. The bankers just didn't look like they were on the ball...but i put my gut feeling aside and signed up for the $150 promotion.

open an account, sign up for their credit card and deposit $15K in the next 90 days. I did all of that, but somebody screwed up and enrolled me in the wrong VISA credit card account, instead of the "Premier" card.

ive been working with the branch manager for 2 months trying to figure out how to resolve this, have them live up to their promotion despite their screw up. They "put the call in" to resolve this issue. either way, im outta there... no confidence in them.

dadro Mar 06, 2009

Sovereign Bank Sucks plain and simple. I've had nothing but horrible experiences with them. Speak with your wallets and avoid them. Use a good local bank or credit union.

• He
                              healeyb Jan 05, 2010

Today, I recieved $600 in insufficient funds fees because I was in the red from a charge I DIDN'T want and specifically called and asked them to remove (which they said they couldn't, but that it would just get bounced and I might get changed a bounced check fee), and they never declined my credit card over the holiday weekend. When I called, they basically said "too bad."

I have always had trouble with them, but this is too far. I am switching banks at the earliest opportunity, and will spend my dying breath shouting at people to switch banks.

• Av
                              Avenging Parent Sep 18, 2013

Sovereign is a foreign-owned blood-sucking organization, with no respect for consumer rights, which we assume to be the starting point for business dealings in the US. Their overdraft protection is represented as a convenience, when it is designed to trap typically younger, lower income individuals. My son has just been assessed over $600 in the past two weeks, for overdrafts precipitated by overdraft fees. He has banked with Sovereign with direct deposit for over two years. Massachusetts law recognizes a covenant of good faith and fair dealing. I am an attorney. I typically carry around $500K in trust and estate accounts at that bank. It is all coming out this week. My efforts thereafter will continue until the practice is stopped.

Santander Consumerimpossble csr

My original auto loan was through sovereign bank that was bought out by santander. I requested a payoff amount and sent funds to the correct address but 3 weeks later my check was returned refused. I called the bank and the csr informed me they were having problems with payments being sent back refused and that I have other options to make a payment (all cost an additional 11.95 wire fee) I asked for the fee to be waived with no luck. I've never in my life dealt with such incompetence, why should the consumer have to pay additional fees because there refusing payments by mail? This has scam written all over it.

Santander Consumer USA — rip off

My auto loan was aquired by santanter under a year ago and since then it has not mattered how much I over...