Menu
Santander Consumer USA company logo
reviews & complaints

reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

701 complaints
225 resolved 476 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claimed
This account has been claimed by Santander Consumer USA customer service / representatives through our verification process.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Santander Consumer USA. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
10:49 am EDT

Santander Consumer USA - Auto loan

Bill always arrives after due date. Just received a bill on 8/12/2022 with a due date of 7/28/2022. When I call Santana the agents are very polite and agree that there is a problem, however, there is never a change to the billing. I've paid the resulting lates charges.

I'm have a limited income and billing problems that cause additional cost cause a great deal of unessary anxiety.

Any help would be appreciated.

Desired outcome: Receive the bill 7-14 days before due date in order to avoid late charges.

Santander Consumer USA has left an official reply on this complaint.

Santander Consumer USA - Requirement of two id just to cash a small check.

I went to a santander bank in Reading, Pa to cash a 5.00-dollar check when I gave the check along with my driver's license to the drive-up person at the window, she said that I need a second ID like a credit card or something. Now I have been doing business with your bank for over thirty years and I was never asked to give a second id along with my driver's license. I was told that is their policy now and I have to do it. Now after I made a fuss about it to the manager, they cashed it without a second id (which i should not have to give in the first place) I have a lot of money in your bank that you are making a lot of interested off of for you to give me a hard time about cashing a 5.00 check over. I am going to go to another bank or credit union with my money, one that doesn't act like the Gestapo and demand a second ID just because of all of the illegals coming into this country who are being giving id just because the government wants them to have it. If you want us to have a proper id than give us one that your bank makes so we can have it.

Desired outcome: If we need an official id for your bank than make one for us to use instead of having to use an official state issued drivers license!!!

11:57 pm EDT

Santander Consumer USA - Car repoed

Hello, my car was repossessed 7/13/2022 , I never received a certified letter or a letter. I called to see what I needed to do and was told I had to payoff the car (8,000 dollars) to get it back. Because the wrote it off 6/30/2022. They said they didn’t have to send a certified or just a plain letter. They would not reinstate my loan. I missed a payment in July 2021 and November 2021. In 2022 I miss a payment in March 2022, May and June because of the pandemic, my payments were 434.00 however I would send 500.00 per month when I could. I am so confused right now why couldn’t I send them the missed payments and get reinstated.

Desired outcome: Please reinstate my car loan, or give me a refund. I can fax you my statements

B
11:29 am EDT

Santander Consumer USA - coloro truck 2017

Hello, my name is Mrs. Bertha Estrada... I'm writing because I had arrangement to pay on our account an because I missed a payment then I tried to pay it didn't except it ...so I called to speak to an agent wish I got one she was very rude so i asked to speak to another wish I did and got agent799242 name Avery. He informed me that because I missed a payment our agreement was null...I asked him why that I had spoken to someone the week before an made arrangement . he wouldn't work with me and was yelling at me. I was getting upset with him, I asked him to go to the voice mails you all have an ck my conversation with the lady I had spoken to get my account ok. she told me to make my payment an we made an agreement verbally to pay half payments till I could get up to .her were struggling at the moment. Just a reminder we didn't send truck cause we didn't want it it was corrosion an i had CAR SHIELD an they didn't want to fix it because it was corrosion. Bertha Estrada from; San Antonio Texas

1 comment
E
Jul 19, 2022 9:45 am EDT

I'm so glad I didn't pay Santander 2k when they couldn't provide proof my car would come out of repossession. They sent a general email saying pay the price we spoke about. No numbers, no name or account number. Terrible service. Terrible Carlos manager and I have another car now!

4:11 pm EDT

Santander Consumer USA - Repossession Process-Reinstate

I first want to start out saying-that I completely understand that business is business and if someone does not hold their bargain of a deal or contract, there are consequences of these actions. I truly fail on hard times after my relocation to Florida and with life- who cares? I lost my parents less than 3 months apart, had family that said "we here if you need us" and just ended treating me like I didn't even exist, then needed two back to back emergency surgeries due to tumor- I had no one to call to help with any bills and did my best figuring it out on my own. I know this is not the companies issue nor concern to even care, but it would of been great to have someone who can understand these hardships I was going through to give me a chance to retrieve my vehicle vs hearing the answers I gave was not good qualification for a second chance because of my payment history- I never received any notice in mail, no option to reply via email and with the calls being made- sometimes I had to choose between lights on or cell phone?

Desired outcome: It would be appreciated that if a human vs a system makes a decision in certain situations- but I just really needed a chance as I am trying to get my life back on track with the reinstatement to get my car of paying 3300.00 vs 31,000.00.

D
9:54 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

When I bought a used car i from Sands Chevy in Nov 2015. I put @10k down they financed a 7k loan iwith Santaner. I was told the loan was for 4% & there was a 2 week grace period every month. I repeatedly asked for a contract that I could refer to but was never given one. That always bothered me. I paid $216 for 3 years. There were a few months that I...

1:56 pm EDT

Santander Consumer USA - Repossesion

I purchased my car 2018. Since than.. 3 repossessions were done. The last one being this Tuesday. Before that was Nov2021. They were rude. They never sent a letter.. They told me pay.. whatever amount.. which is supposedly misc fees. Car fee. Repo fee.. and claimed I start fresh. At current date.. I am not due until july12,2022. But yet they took my car. I 0aid every month.. They tell me I owe 755.00 in some entitled misc fee. Repo fee 500.00 and car payments at 432.00.. how? Not due till July 12th. What misc fee and why Repo fee when this was done illegally. Can't get answers except.. that I need to pay 1800.00 to get release. They tow it an hour away from my home. This is unexceptable

Desired outcome: My car back and to prove I am up to date and they are scam company

M
6:41 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This is about what immoral inhumaine practices Santander uses to trap you paying them the rest of your life ! a second attempt on refinancing this Simple Interest Loan . Santander Consumer USA failed to explain to me and I think this is immoral and against the law but what they said to me was on June 23rd my remaining account balance was $6340.01 , but...

H
1:19 pm EDT

Santander Consumer USA - security of my accounts

Dear Bank Officer,

My name is Hongshao Zuo with SSN [protected] living in 895 Dedham St. Newton, MA 02459.

On 05/17/2022 a transfer of $39000.00 made from my one checking account to another account by unknown person. Soon after that I went to your Bank Branch in Newton center and made a transfer such money back to the original checking account. I am very nervous for someone doing transfer without my permission and at the same time I asked your bank officer to provide me a formal written report in 2 weeks about $39000.00 transferred on 05/17. But unfortunately, I have not received the report yet so far.

As you know fraud was happened in my accounts during the past several weeks, since then 2 new checking accounts created and UID/Password changed several times. I appreciate for your great efforts for protecting me including do not let me transfer fund by myself on line even between my own accounts. For doing transfer the only way for me is to go to bank office with your officer’s help.

This time, I only need a written explain for what happened for transferring of $39000.00 on 05/17/2022.

Best regards

Yours

Hongshao Zuo

K
8:55 pm EDT

Santander Consumer USA - Auto Financing

This company is horrible to use. I brought a car back in 2013 for $11,000. Over the years I pain over $14,000 on the care before volunteering to give it back due to lack of employment for health reasons. They sold the car, wrote off $10,000, reported it to the IRS as a cancellation of debt. I had to pay taxes on it because they filed it as an 1199C and was considered part of my income and they are still trying to collect over $12000 from me. This should be considered tax fraud. After 11 years they are still reporting it negatively to my credit report. Don't use these crooks there are better companies out here that will work with people with bad credit. Santander Consumer company are horrible money hungry company

Update by khosen
May 24, 2022 6:45 am EDT

I can understand interest but charging more than double of what the car is purchase for is ridiculous. This company was sued in court for these same reason and they lost. The explanation just proves that this is a company with poor business practices that takes advantage of people. Their reviews are low for a reason. Do you research and find another company. There are better companies out here that works with people without trying to take advantage.

5:30 am EDT

Santander Consumer USA - Auto loan

Each month the bill arrives 10-14 days after due date! This creates late charges and more debt. Timely payments mean nothing. Attempts to resolve the issue with Santander have been unsuccessful.

Desired outcome: Resolution of the problem and possible refund of late charges. The current method just creates automatic late charges that benefit Santander.

View 0 more photos
Update by Chris Cozzo
May 16, 2022 6:55 am EDT

Santander billing arrives12-14 days after the due date causing late charges. I called Santander and explained the situation in an effort to resolve the issue. I was told to "just pay the bill on time". Further efforts to explain the situation was a waste of time.

W
9:41 am EDT

Santander Consumer USA - 2019 Ford ecosport

I got a vehicle financed through Santander in December 2021. It took me til April to get my tag to start with. Owed April's payment called April 27th talked to Keyana told her I would make my payment on 5/11 she stated that was fine and she would notate my account. No explaining anything no mail no phone calls. Well my vehicle was repoed last night. Called this morning and their saying nothing was noted. And before I could get my car back they are telling me I would have to pay the full pay off on my car. I kept asking questions until I got hung up on. DO NOT FINANCE anything through this company you will lose your money...Stay away from this place

J
3:47 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Santander is the worst bank and they have the worst customer experience. They sent me a refund back in march bec of an overpayment I made, after a week when I finally paid off my loan I checked the NorthLane account which us the account where my refund was in and it showed there is a payment reversal. I contacted Santander THREE TIMES and they gave me the...

3:38 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I need a release for my car title. I purchased a 2000 Chev Malibu in 2000. The lien was for Transouth who when out of business and than CitiFinancial who also when out of business and took over by Santander Consumer USA. I can not sell the car without a clean title.

View 0 more photos
3:06 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I want a new class action lawsuit! This company is in serious violation of court orders! My purchase was 1/9/21 Santander claims they have had the loan since that date. Incorrect the loan wasn’t approved until 2.1/21! Although my first statement shows me already behind bc they charged me for a JANUARY PAYMENT they did not have financing out on my purchase...

K
11:49 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Got approved for a auto loan with Santander In 2017. The only income I had personally was a $1200 SSI check and was approved for a loan payment of $585 a month which was half my income. When getting approved for the loan they included my husbands income and paystub as mine without him being there and without him being on the loan. I’ve fallen behind within...

M
9:21 am EDT

Santander Consumer USA - Car loan

I received a car loan from Santander Consumer for a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. One year after I received the loan, In July of 2015, I developed Breast Cancer and I contacted Santander for help because I didn't know if I was going to be able to work. I was receiving Chemo. and radiation. They gave me a month and then I was going to resume payments. Interest and late fees continued to a crew. My job was paying 11/hour as a respite care worker. The interest on the loan was over 26%. I continued, to pay 400.00 per month. And I continued to contact them about my situation. I even offered the car back to them. Finally I voluntarily asked to have my car repossed, in 2019. I have been on disability since 2019. They have me listed on my credit report as a repossession and I owe them 13,000.

Desired outcome: I would at least like the 13,000 taken off my credit report and if there's monies left on the settlement, I would like to be part of that.

B
11:10 am EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Santander Consumer USA - Keeps charging my account after I have refinanced with another bank and they sent them a payoff check

I recently joined a new bank and they sent a payoff check to Satander and it had said the account was closed. Today on 3/11/22 I was charged by them and in my Satander Consumer account it only reads the last payment was the payoff check so how is my account closed and im still being charged? On top of that the payoff check exceeded the amount I owed so they owe me money.

Desired outcome: To return my money and to stop taking money out of my account.

3:39 pm EST

Santander Consumer USA - Auto loan

Date of contract with Santander was Feb of 21 although the account has a different date .I have been impacted by Santander consumer usa auto loan company . My loan was financed at over 17% interest rate without my knowledge . Multiple times they have threatened repo if I didn’t not make double the amount of my payment . Did not offer relief during covid after losing my job!

Desired outcome: My loan paid off and & $6000 in fees interest and late payments

11:13 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hello, I wanted to reach out with a payment issue I have. I have been a customer with santander for the past 3 years and 11 months and during this I have never been late on a payment. I have recently had my car refinanced from Santander to another company. The other company called Santander and received a payoff quote for a 30 days period starting on...

Santander Consumer USA contacts