Sam's Clubawful everything

I have been a member of Sams Club for over 3 years and a die-hard shopper of both Sams Club and Walmart Stores. This morning, I went to my local Sams Club Warehouse and was told to leave because I was not a 'business member.' Apparently they have this policy of only business members shopping before 10 am.

I have gone into this warehouse many times before 10 am and no one has ever mentioned this to me before, much less kicked me out. The greeter told me to talk to the manager and pointed to a lady who was walking away from the front door to the check out's (She was a manager of some sort) She heard me mention (as I said it loud enough) that this was not very customer or member friendly to deny a paying member the opportunity to shop!

She continued to walk away as if she didn't care that there was a customer service issue at hand. It should make no difference what type of member (business or personal) that you may happen to be, any store(membership or otherwise) should not turn away business.

It is bad enough that we have to endure their long lines at the checkouts because they don't want to hire more people to checkout members. We usually have to wait an average of 15 mins. to get checked out and they thank us by kicking us out because we go into their store early? What's wrong with this picture?

I am cancelling my membership and will not be shopping at Sam's or Walmart Stores ever again and I will be encouraging everyone I know to do the same. Walmart & Sams may be the largest retailer in the world but they have the worst customer (no) service in the industry!

• Cl
    Clemson5 Nov 03, 2008

Jason Tillo must be an employee of Sam's Club or Walmart. It shows due to his lack of constructive feedback and greater strength of simply criticizing others. Please keep in mind that a good majority of employees at both Sam's Club and Walmart have no more than a high school diploma and work for minimum wage for a good portion of their lives. They do not have the educational expertise to deal with customer service and act appropriately.

• Sj
    sj Quinn Nov 07, 2008

ordering the wednesday pre thanksgiving sale, there was NO way to order, get the correct pricing when ordering or to get an email or phone number from the website. I order about 20K or items yearly and this is bad!

• Te
    Terry Fillmore Jan 27, 2009

The home office ties the store employee's hands. It is poor customer service, or your job. I can assure you, Sears, is much worse. I left Sam's to go to Sears and was there only three months, before leaving to start my own business.

Sam's Club tries its best to relate to the common member. It is tough to have perfect service when you have High Paid Members and Middle Eastern Clients that do their very best to take advantage of the system. That is that they find a way to cheat. When we, as managers, try to do something about it, we are over-ridden by the General Manager, so that the end of year bonus is not hurt.

My GM made a $90, 000.00 and the other managers in the store got nothing... With this I hope that you know that 99% of the folks that work on the customer service side cannot make decisons that mess with the bottom-line. Greed motivates the GM and intimidation motivates the subordinates.

The best, Sam's Club, I worked in is in Franklin, TN.
    The Worst Sam's Club I worked in is in Madison, TN.
    The Madison Club was full of racist blacks and folks that would not work. As a manager trying to motivate the employees it was tough. The hourly employees would make up stories to tell the District Manager. In turn the DM would do what is called a RedBook. That is a complaint the goes all the way to corporate.

I returned from a tour in Iraq as a medic and went right back to work 6 days after being released from active duty. I never saw so much disfunction in an organization. The DM took me from the Franklin Club and put me in the worst club in TN. I was suffering from PTSD severely which did not help.

I did not click with hourly folks telling me what to do. It was an insult to the Nth degree. Here I am, college, retail and combat experience being told what to do by hourly employees. "Or they were going to tell the DM".

Get rid of the monsters, or take control of the monsters and we can all have an amicable environment at Sam's Club. I hope you continue your patronage. Get the stores GM involved and I am sure they will look up your histor, as a Member, or give you the information to get antoher receipt. The GM makes the decisions in the store. If that does not get you anywhere, contact corporate.

Seeing that your items are marked down, so the club can change their seasonal settings, after thirty days, is not rational. You have to be able to accept "no" for an answer. Could you imagine how much money Wal-Mart would lose, if the company did not set parameters? Yes, they are a huge company and that does not help. It only raises the loss exponentionally without checks and balances.

I am sorry that you feel like you were not treated well. I am sure the hourly employee did not mean to make it personal. The manager should have taken over and used the skills, that a manager must have, to deal with the public, to address your situation.

• Un
    Uncommon_Sense Mar 06, 2009

The business membership is actually $5 cheaper than a personal one...

• Up
    UpsetInMN Mar 08, 2009

I have been a Sam's member for a lot longer than 3 years. They have ALWAYS had this policy. As a business member, it allows us to purchase things for our stores before opening, etc.

That you hadn't been stopped before is not a fault of their policy, only that the "greeter" who I don't usually see standing right at the front door, managed to check and noticed you are not a business member.

So if you speed 80 in a 55 1000 times and never get caught, then the day that you do get caught, it must just be because of the anal cop who is picking on you.

• Mi
    mishey823 May 02, 2009

You're really going to cancel your membership because they didn't let you in early? Are you kidding me?! People like you are the reason retail sucks. Csncel your membership and never shop anywhere again; do us all a favor.

• Uh
    uhhino Sep 20, 2009

the rules are the rules.
    i don't agree at all with this
    just because someone else broke the rules and let you in does not mean that it was right.

you wouldn't go a restaurant before it opened and expect someone to let you in a serve you would you?
    don't answer that.
    you probably would.

• Pi
    PISTOL PETE Nov 08, 2009

Sam's Club was founded with the object of making it less expensive for SMALL businesses to thrive. In the beginning, the "hoi polloi" was not allowed in at all. It was a true "Club" for small businesses. They still give Business Members the valuable perk of shopping for their businesses BEFORE it gets crowded because they do need to get things done in an efficient manner in order to open their own business.

JasonJD48 Nov 16, 2009

I'm sorry to hear your concerns were not adequately addressed. You should feel free to seek out a manager (and not assume that they hear you complaining) and discuss it with them. It is company policy that business members have access to the store earlier as they are the target demographic of Sam's Club, the hours are outside the building and on the membership cards. Many stores make one-time exceptions for a member coming in early, if they are unaware of the policy, so that they wouldn't have wasted a trip. Sam's Club values Advantage (personal) Members very much, however this perk for businesses remains in place because of the time challenges that small business owners face.

• Mu
    muzzapop69 Dec 12, 2009

I work at Sam's here in Australia, we dont have membership cards but we do have pain in the ### customers like you! As mishey823 said you are the reason working in retail SUCKS! Why dont you try working there? Find out what its like to work at a shop before you go all high and mighty on their ###!
    I quit recently and thank god I did otherwise i would have just killed myself with anger because of all the crap i get from customers who whinge, complain and threaten the staff because they are not able to get what they want. PATHETIC! Yet the reason why they cant get what they want, is totally out of the staff members hands, its all ###ing corporate ### who cant deliever on the ### they promise. Yet us poor staff members take the brunt of the anger while getting ### wages. So when your at a shop next time and you cant get what you want, take a minute to think about what you say rather than go off your head and the nearest staff member because it makes you feel better. You pathetic piece of ###.

• Sh
    shadowplay89 Apr 10, 2010

um ya your ###ed I agree with pistol pete. I am currently a Sam's Club employee and from the beginning they trained us that Sam's was exclusively for business members only. They recently opened it up to the general public but still give the business members opportunity to shop before the gp. If they make an exception and let you in they would have to let all the general public in at that time, and that would throw off the business members drastically. So ya don't complain of what you don't know about.

• Pm
    PMAZ May 18, 2010

Let me see if I have this right. You go all the time to this store. The hours are posted as you enter. Before 10 only the exit door is open with a sign that says bussiness members only. Now you are mad because they didn't knuckle under because YOU CAN'T READ. 7-10 is not for retail members. It is so they don't have to deal with people like you. GROW UP

• Ca
    CARTER 300 Jul 27, 2010

YOUR AN IDIOT! IF YOU NOTICE IT SAYS SAMS IS IN BUSINESS FOR SMALL BUSINESSES THATS THEIR TIME TO DO THEIR PERSONAL SHOPPING AND OVER ALL IT'S POLICY THEY CAN'T CHANGE THE POLICY MANAGEMENT NEITHER THATS ALL HOME OFFICE.

• Ju
    Julie B. Aug 09, 2010

I too was told to I could not enter a Sam's Club, this one located in Springfield MO. It was 9:40 on a week day morning, I have shopped early hours there before and didnt think anything of it when I saw the lot had several cars in it. I started inside, showing the clerk my card as I walked thru. She stopped me and informed me I couldn't enter unless I was a Plus member. If I wanted to purchase a Plus membership I could continue to the service desk to do so, otherwise I would have to leave. I already pay for my membership. I could understand the concept of "business" hours for companies, earlier than ten, though. I informed the clerk that it was OK, I would just shop somewhere else, and I left. Haven't been back, Sam's doesn't need my business.

• Cu
    CustomerAlwaysWrong Aug 09, 2010

The store hours are posted right on the front of the building, and it clearly says that the hours before ten am are for business members only. I'll never understand why people feel the need to make someone miserable just because you feel like rules apply to everyone except you. There is nothing more infuriating than [censor]s like you who have small, insignificant lives and take their problems out on me by yelling at me for doing my job.

• Don'tBeAMoron Sep 06, 2010

Dear [censor],

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an inconvenience on the part of Sam's Club. Learn to [censor]ing read. Or better yet, pay 5 dollars less for a business membership that allows you to get in earlier. You pay more to be restricted to coming in later. You are definitely a [censor]. Go lock yourself in a garage and leave the motor running. Ridding us of your stupidity may be the most significant contribution to society that you ever make.

Sincerely,

Anyone who has ever worked in customer service.

• Me
    Melson Oct 11, 2010

There is no customer services for c-store customers management need to get survey from c-store customer if they call every one and ask about employee in the Sam's club they even not trained right they do not know what they doing and make so many mistakes and waste customers time.we never get out right time from Sam's club. only one thing keep everyone in the Sam's is cigarettes prices. if Sam's have a competitors than people stop go to sam's club.i am not wright my personal experience this is for most every other customers.

• Po
    pobarjenkins Oct 11, 2010

This was a little painful to read.

• Da
    D.A. Dec 09, 2010

Did you ever think that the people that work there are not happy. Well I can tell you that there not. It's not fun much due to managers and the way sam's and walmart treat there people.

• Id
    idontcare2 Jan 13, 2011

wow - you people are nuts. I don't think I should have to show my card to get in the door during non premium hours because it is stupid. I agree with the original poster and I will not continue shopping at sams. I was screamed at and acosted by some old fart greeter to show my card. It was insane.

• Ca
    Cadmonkey Jun 21, 2011

None of this crap is an excuse to be rude to a customer. All you dip-### complaining about how you work there and get treated bad and therefore have to right to be a dick, boo-fraken-hoo... you should have stayed in school then you wouldn't have ended up with a crappy job.

• Do
    Donald Holman Jul 20, 2011

I have no complaint a bout any thing! Just an easy way to save you more money! I have noticed That Home depot and Menards contract there maintenance In! They get by a lot cheaper! For an example If you have four Maintenance men like Club 8180 does! Three full timers and one part timmer! Between all of them I figure make around 45 dollars an hour! That doesn't count the benefits that you pay them! Just think them cut backs that you could make at all SamsClubs and Walmarts ! Eliminate the Maintenance departments. Hire In a cleaning team. Just think of all that vacation time you would be cutting out! And Insurance benefits for all full time maintenance! Sit down and do your math! I am going to be honest I work at Sams club 8180! But I think all walmarts and Sams Clubs should do this!

• Do
    Donald Holman Jul 20, 2011

My only complaint Is : People doesn't know how to say please and thank you any more that's one thing I made a habbit to do! On rare occassions I forget ! It's mainly employees and employers and some times Members! Come on people how hard Is it to say Please and thank you!

Comments

• Re
    Reviewer64035 Nov 09, 2015

Hamburger has "odd" taste even though box stated it was 100% Angus beef. I had grease all over my cooktop which I do not have when frying sirloin burgers. I threw away the remaining and will never purchase it again.

• Be
    Bert Herras Oct 21, 2016

In store #8213, Columbus, GA, I received a bad service. In the Snack shop, there used to be three to four people. Today they had two. I ordered a hotdog combo with drink. They didn't have my drink so the lady at the counter said wait a minute, while the line got longer and longer. Fifteen minutes later, I went to Customer Service and ask for a Manager and I returned my food. 10 minutes later no manager, no refund. I left disappointed. You are a billion dollar operation. What kind of Store this is? You sell items that you don't have and you intend to aggravate people.. Bert Herras, [protected], Columbus, GA.

• Fr
    fred mendel Nov 22, 2017

Sam's Club Bangor, ME

Was told by the [censor] at this tire store of Sam's that I could not order the Pirelli Scorpion Verde all Season Radials except by ordering them on-line. I did so and never heard back that the tires were in. I called a tire dept employee and he told me that no confirmation of my order ever received.

Atta boy Sam's Club - Sam Walton must be spinning in his Grave.

Fred Mendel

Thank God This was a trial run- I got tires elsewhere.