Having problems with Sallie Mae Bank?

1844 827 7478 (School Assist)
+1 855 756 5626 (New Student Loans)
+1 800 472 5543 (Existing Student Loans)
+1 877 346 2756 (Savings Products)
+1 877 978 1710 (Upromise GoalSaver Accounts)
+1 888 279 2828 (Upromise by Sallie Mae)
+1 302 451 4912 (School Assist)
+1 877 456 6221 (School Assist)
300 Continental Drive
Newark, Delaware
United States - 19713

Complaints & Reviews

SallieMae student loanhorrible people who lie all the time

Right now I'm unemployed, looking for a new job, which is not the easiest thing right now.
Companies are letting people go these days, not hiring new people.

I admit, I've been very irresponsible for a while. My loan payment was 200 days late. But at the end of January, I made a payment (part of my past due amount) to make things right again. When I was making that payment, the rep told me,

"as long as you keep up with the monthly payment from now on, everything will be fine. Your loan will not default. Just keep making payments on time."

I believed that.

The VERY next day, I received another call from SallieMae.

The person was NOT AT ALL professional to begin with, very rude, and he told me that unless I make another payment right at that moment my loan will default. I told him the exact thing the other rep told me the day before, but that didn't matter.
Then I talked to his supervisor, and that supervisor woman threatened me that if I don't make another payment (2 payments in 2 days!!) she'll report me as "UNWILLING TO PAY BACK THE LOAN".

Hello... I just made payment YESTERDAY!!! How does that translate to "unwilling" to make payment???

And then she told me that they are collectors, they don't know when my loan will default. The other rep gave me false information. And according to their GUIDELINE, either I make payment or she reports me and my loan will default.
(Hey, didn't you just say that you are just collectors and you don't know when a loan would default???)

I wanted to argue, but everytime I said something she didn't want to listen and kep saying that she will report me and my loan will default over and over.

So I had to make another payment.

Oh, and one more thing...
She said there's going to be a processing fee for making the payment. I asked if I can pay online right now. She says,

"oh, the processing fee for online is higher. I'll lower the fee to $7 for you now. Or if you hang up I'm going to report you unwilling to pay."

I argued that I remember online payment being free, but she gave me some ### story about the collection works differently and I can't make online payment because my account is delinquent, and yes, she will report me. (She mentioned reporting me at least 15 times throughout the conversation.)

So even though I know for SURE that online payment is free, I was forced to pay the processing fee as well.

I can't express how much I hate dealing with SallieMae reps. They lie to you, they give you false information, they harass you, call you 15 times a day with different area code and ### phone numbers, and they threaten you.

I know it's solely my fault that I didn't make payments for 6 months. I should've taken care of it before things became ugly.
But even then I don't believe I deserve that kind of treatment from the representatives.

I don't expect respect, but I definitely never expected to be threatened and lied to by these people.

• Sl
      SLMtrap Mar 28, 2009

Jason, your message is not realJason, the tone of your message is not really necessary. This person stated that that they are unemployed. Do you seriously troll the internet to find people down on their luck and try to belittle them? If so that's pretty pathetic .

Whoami did not really give enough info to judge like you did. "Irresponsible" could mean that they had chosen to eat over paying a student loan or "my fault" is how they see the fact that they are not employed. Anyway you sound like a Sallie Mae employee.. anyone who has dealt with them in rough times could probably spot the tone.

Sallie Mae — Student loans

I have to say I am right there with all of you guys as well as far as sallie mae (the wicked) goes. I have...

Sallie Mae — Customer Service

I have been receiving harassing phone calls for over 2 years looking for a "Robert Garcia" who is apparently...

Sallie Maeexcessive calling

I want sallie mae to quit calling me. I do not have anything nor know anyone that has used them but still they insist to keep calling.

• Qb
        QB7519 Jul 27, 2009

If you are not using their services you can sue for harassment.

answersneeded Oct 20, 2009

I have applied for the new IBR program of course through sallie mae. All I have been getting while waiting has been 3-4 calls a day, and when I do talk to them, they act like they know nothing until they check my file about the IBR request. Then I get is i will continue to get calls since its on auto dialing and its done by computers. I told them if it can be put on a computer it sure can be removed. Then Im told it cant be.

I also told them every time i get calls i also hear from Higher ed concerning the account and when i explain to them about the IBR and what i have been told < still waiting on letter of acceptence which today i was told can take any wheres from 2 wks up to 3 months. I think its a stalling tatic by them > Higher ed tells me to call them and check into it. When I do call, i get the same old answer. Wish there could be help given or someone or agency who over sees sallie mae like the government has done with banks.

Sallie MaePrivate Loan Forbearance

Last month, I requested a forbearance for my 3 private loans through Sallie Mae, in addition to my Stafford loan forbearance. I was told the $150 ($50 per loan) fee would be bucketed to my account and that my payments would resume in January 2009. It was a 3 month forbearance. The only reason I was requesting this was because my job downsized to part-time, and I am not making enough money to afford my daily medication or gas for my vehicle (i walk to work to save gas). I have been seeking another part-time job, in addition to looking for a full-time job.

Anyways, I was told this would be no problem, that the fee would be bucketed and that my payments would resume in January. Fine. I'll take what I can get. However, today, I received a call stating that I did not make a "good faith" payment, thus my forbearance has been canceled. But they are still going to tack on the $150. The good faith payment was to be equal to my monthly payment, as it was explained today. If I am paying a monthly payment, why would I need the $150 forbearance fee?

In addition, if you are NOT giving me a forbearance, you CANNOT charge me the fee. I argued that point with them, only to be hung up on by the female representative named Mia. I called back, and the male representative I talked to stated that I only owed $50, that only one loan forbearance was removed. How can that be, I asked, but he couldn't answer me. I asked to speak to a supervisor, but was told the problem would be forwarded, but he couldn't tell me when that supervisor would call me back. I told him that wasn't good enough and that I would keep calling until I spoke with a supervisor. After sitting on hold for over 5 minutes, a supervisor answers, and instead of listening to me, he kept interrupting and would even talk over me. I doubt he heard a word I said. I was so frustrated at him for talking over me, then talking down to me about how I am irresponsible in not paying the good faith payment (remember, the one that I just found out about today), that I eventually hung up.

I am wondering if there isn't another (good and honest) company out there that would consolidate my loans for me, just so I could get away from Sallie Mae. I am considering speaking with a lawyer about this because I don't believe they can charge me for a service that they failed to provide. Maybe a class action lawsuit will set them straight.

• Ge
          GeminiStars Jan 05, 2009

Ugh this really disgusts me. Sallie Mae did THE SAME THING TO ME this past summer.

I was 8 months pregnant, did not have a job, and knew that I was not going to be able to make payments much longer so I called in August 2008 and requested a forbearance for my 2 private loans and was told if I paid the $100 payment ($50/per loan) that I would be covered up until December 27th.

Well September rolls around and it shows that I still owe a payment. I called and asked why my loans were not put into forbearance when I had paid their $100 fee to do so. The lady told me that the payment only brought me current on my account and my loans WERE NOT put into forbearance like they had told me they would. Then she instructed me to pay ANOTHER $100 to put them into the so-called forbearance that would not happen. There was no way I was going to give them $100 for absolutely nothing. My regular payments were not even $100.

I really wish I would have not paid them the extra money. I always thought Sallie Mae was a respectable loan company and that is why I did not have a problem paying the initial $100 if it could have saved me from making a few payments until I got back on my feet. Obviously I was very wrong. I had no idea they did this to other people too but now it certainly does not surprise me.

• Fr
          frustrated Mar 14, 2009

I too thought Sallie Mae was respectable. I have my federal loans consolidated through them and have not had any problems thus far with my deferment. However, it is a totally different story with the private side of the business. Today I just learned they have new people handling the private side. I don't know when this change took place.

Well hear is my story. I am the co-signer on my husband's private loan, and today I got a phone call from Sallie Mae saying his account is delinquent. We had been trying to get a forbearance due to unemployment since January and in February we thought we finally got one. To my surprise the last person we spoke to never processed the forbearance.

FLASHBACK
          Now let me take you back to January. In January we sent the necessary paperwork to Sallie Mae and when my husband called them to make the $50 fee payment, they refused to accept his money. They told him that his private loan could not be put in forbearance. He told them he had it in forbearance before. The representative should have been able to check his account to see that he had a forbearance once before. So he got off the phone with this unknowledgeable person. Weeks later he talked to a representative who told him to re-fax the forbearance application. We did this and later called (now it is Feb). Prior to calling, my husband made a payment online because he knew that with their incompetence they would end up reporting a 30-day late payment on his credit report.

Of course when we called in Feb we were put through the ringer once again, but this representative finally saw that he can get a forbearance. My husband asked if he needed to pay the $50 fee but the representative told him there was no need since he made a payment.

PRESENT DAY
          Of course we learn today that the representative from Feb was not correct in telling us not to make the $50 payment. The supervisor I spoke to today told me to re-fax the forbearance forms (this will be the 3rd time). I went ahead and paid the $50 fee. Hopefully they apply the fee to the forbearance and not to the monthly payment. This could still not be over.

angry college grad Mar 24, 2009

UPDATE:
          At the end of January, stuff finally gets sorted out (sort of), and apparently Sallie Mae mis-applied my payments for forbearance fees and instead of them paying the forbearance fees, they were credited as a payment, thus showing that I still owed a forbearance fee from 2006. Thus the reason my current forbearance could not be processed.

So this is what happened. I set up a payment for my current forbearance with Mark from the Pennsylvania office. This is scheduled to come out of my checking account on Feb. 23, 2009. Instead it is processed on Jan. 23 & Jan. 26, 2009, neither clearing my checking account since I did not have that much money in there. On Jan 29, 2009, it was sent through again, clearing my account that day since I just got paid. However, it took money away from my rent, which put me in a bind. However, my landlord was cool about it, and told me to pay him with Sallie Mae's money that was suppose to be paid on Feb 23. I had also made my regular monthly payment this month on January 15, as the forbearance I requested in November was suppose to end in January.

On Feb. 4, 2009, I receive a phone call from Heather in the Pennsylvania office, and she is Mark's supervisor. Apparently, I owed $91.66 from that "past forbearance" on which my payment was misapplied. She said that my current forbearance (which was "only bring my account current") would be canceled if I did not pay the $91.66. So I set up a payment with her for Feb. 15, 2009, to pay that fee in full. I was also going to have to pay my monthly payment that month.

Feb. 15 comes, payment is made, go online to pay my regular monthly payment, and lo and behold, it says my payment is not due until Mar 22, 2009! So I call Sallie Mae. Again, my $91.66 was misapplied, so instead of paying the forbearance off, it was credited to my account. Explained to them what happened, they said they would research it. A week later, I noticed that the forbearance fee has been lowered to $83 and some change. Again, I call back, explaining what happened. Again, "we will research this." Another week goes by- online now says I only owe $50. Again, call back, same answer.

March monthly payment rolls around, and I make it, but again, nothing has been applied to that $50. I figured they would cover their fees first before applying any payment to the balance, but I am pretty sure they purposely do not apply it towards forbearance fees just to prevent you from ever taking out another forbearance.

• As
          asdf Apr 01, 2009

Get over it sallie mae has most the government in its pocket and not enough people in high up positions care.

Under Bush they took away consumer basic protection rights and Obama isn't going to fix it.

Sallie Mae is nothing but lying crooks who get away with predatory lending with a slap on their wrists and guess what NO ONE CARES...and nothings going to change.

GG ruin the future government^^

• Os
          oscar Apr 26, 2009

FIRST OF ALL, NEVER COMPARED STUDEN FEDERAL LOANS WITH STUDENT PRIVATE LOANS BECAUSE STUDENT PRIVATE LOANS ARE NOT BACKED UP BY THE TAWPAYER'S MONEY OR BY THE GOVERNMENT OR EVEN B Y THE DEPT OF EDUCATION. I ALREADY CALLED THE DEPT OF EDUCATION AND ONE CUSTOMER REP INFORMED ME THAT THE DEPT OF EDUCATION DOES NOT HANDLE ANY TYPE OF STUDENT PRIVATE LOANS OR EVEN PARTICIPATED IN THE DEBT COLLECTIONG TACTICS. REMEMBER, A STUDENT PRIVATE LOAN IS TERMINED BY YOUR CREDIT SCORE OR BY SOME CASES A CO-SIGNER IF NEEDED IF YOUR CREDIT SCORE IS NOT SO GOOD. SO IN OTHER WORDS, THESE PRIVATE LOANS ARE JUST LIKE ANY OTHER CONSUMER LOANS BECAUSE IT REQUIRES A CREDIT CHECK AND ADDITION TO THESE PRIVATE LOANS, THEY ARE DISGUISED TO BE LIKE THE STUDENT FEDERAL LOANS TO TRICK PEOPLE THAT THERE IS NO WAY OUT. BUT THE ONLY THING THESE PRIVATE LOANS HAVE IN COMMON WITH THE FEDERAL LOANS THAT BOTH ARE HARD TO FILE IN BANKRUPTY UNLESS YOU CAN PROVE TO THE COURT THAT IT WOULD CREAT A ECONOMIC HARDSHIP BY VARIOUS REASONS WHETHER BY ILLNESS, DISABILITY, NO WAY YOUR INCOME WILL INCREASE BY THE NEXT YEARS, ETC. BUT HERE IS THE BEST PART THAT MANY PEOPLE DON'T KNOW. STUDENT PRIVATE LOANS HAVE STATUE OF LIMITATIONS AND DEPENDING ON THE STATE YOU LIVE IN, THEY CAN SUE YOU DEPENDING THE LAWS OF YOUR STATE, THAT WHY SALLIEMAE KNOW THIS AND CONSTANTLY HARRASSES YOU WITH LETTER AND PHONE CALLS AND INTIMIDATING COMMENTS AND THE FRAUD THEY COMMIT. GO TO THIS SITE, I RECOMMEND IT. ALSO VISIT TO THE FEDERAL TRADE COMISSION WEBSITE, GO VISIT YOUR LOCAL COURT HOUSE AND GET WELL INFORMED, AND FINE A LAWYER WHO DEALS CONSUMERS LOANS ON YOUR STATE • Calling toll free 888-FDCPA-LAW [protected]) ALSO VISIT THIS WEBSITE http://www.studentloanborrowerassistance.org/collections/lawsuits/
          AND THE BEST PART CONTACT THE DEPT OF EDUCATION. SALLIEMAE DOES NOT WANT THE PUBLIC TO KNOW THAT WE HAVE RIGHTS AND THAT WHY THEY GET SO DESPERATE TO FIND US. ALSO REMEMBER SOCIAL SECURITY CANNOT E GARNISHED BECUASE BECAUSE YOU OWE A PRIVATE STUDENT LOAN, UNLESS IF IT IS A FEDERAL STUDEN LOANS, SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS CAN BE GARNNISHED WITH THE NEED TO SUE YOU, HELLO THE GOVERNMENT HAS THE TOOLS TO DO SO OR UNLESS YOU CAN PROVE TO THE COURT THAT YOUR SITUATION AND HAVING YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY CHECK GARNISHED WOULD CREAT AN ORDEAL. ALSO ANOTHER FACTOR, IS YOU DON'T ANY ASSETS LIKE LOTS OF MONEY IN THE BANK, CARS, LOTS OF VALUALBE PROPERTIES, GUESS WHAT, DEBT COLLECTORS IS GONNA HAVE A HARD TIME COLLECTING FROM YOU. REMEMBER THERE IS A STATUE OF LIMITATIONS FOR THEM TO COLLECT AND DEBT COLLECTORS WILL DO ANYTHING TO COLLECT BY GOING THROUH YOUR CREDIT REPORT AND RUIN IT, CALL YOU LIKE 10 TIMES PER DAY AND EVEN AT YOUR WORKPLACE TO EMBARRASS YOU, SEND YOU FRIGHTENED DUNNING LETTERS, AND OF COURSE MOST OF THE TIME LIE TO YOU.

• Ew
          Ewinnn Feb 14, 2011

I was told on the phone I have to pay $266.00/ monthly at 9% interest that never can change. I asked for a lower monthly payment because I only have a part-time job and looking for a full time. I have a car note and insurance. I also have a federal loan payment of 200/ monthly. Sallie Mae told me to go get another part time job and they can't make any modifications. I only make 8 dollars/ hour, 3 times a week. I need help!!!

SallieMae IncUnemployment form refusal, false credit reporting, %29 interest rate

SallieMae has received an completed unemployment deferrment form attached with all income documents addresse by myself (Arleta D. Richardaosn) and my attorney Mattleman, Weinroth & Miller on October 2, 2008 for a student loan of 10, 000.00. However Salliemae refused my September 1, 2008 online payment which I included in my unemployment deferrment file as well as has added 6, 000.00 to this loan.

However Salliemae has received my completed unemployment documents which was mailed by my attorney, yet continue to email me in regards of being 60 days in default as well as contacted the credit report bureau and report improper results. I have filed a complaint wtih all 3 credit reporting agencies who has removed Salliemae comments, SallieMae then reported an inquiry stated collection, again all 3 credit reports will be removed. This my compliant with US department of Education to resolve Salliemae misconduct of this student loan and place this account into unemployment deferment as they should have already did so.

In addition, I have a Salliemae mastercard which I also placed on accountsecure plus. However Salliemae moved the interest rate to %29 and refuse my last payment and report negitive again to credit report.

I am expecting the US department Education to resolve both matter for I am concerning ligitation against Sallimae.

I can be reached at email [protected]@yahoo.com or [protected]

Arleta D. Richardson

Sallie Mae College LoansLoan Fraud

When I was in College I survived with loans and a meager job. At my school the loan would be disbursed to the school and refunded to me. If the loan was registered you did not have to pay tuition as the school would wait for the loan. However, at my school 75% of the students live off campus and have rent.

Sallie Mae would not disburse the loan until months later...leaving you to pay the rent on your own. However they had no problem charging you interest for money that never left their hands during that time. I was one of the lucky ones, after weeks of the run around, I called up and pretended to be my cousin who is an attorney, I gave them the legal lecture of a lifetime. Nestrumental in helping me as someone "slipped" and informed me of the scam as they didn't agree withedless to say my school received the money the next day and I got the refund check for the rent on the next disbursement date (three days later). My school staff was very helpful, the filled me in on the scam because they didn't agree with it and felt I had the will power to fight and win. My friends weren't so lucky, some didn't see the money till finals week...but they paid 4 months of interest.

This was almost 5 years ago. I've heard rumors they are still up to this practice again. How can you charge interest on money that was never loaned...only promised. I believe the federal courts even interjected punishing numerous schools and Sallie Mae. This was all made possible when they got their dirty hands on the government subsidized loan program.

Shame on you people preying on student.

salliemae — False Forbearance

SallieMae placed my loans into forbearance without my knowledge or consent, even though I've made my...

Sallie MaeWorst customer service I have encountered

I have had a student loan with these people for years and every time I call for something, I always get a rep that doesn't speak good english at all. That they have to repeat everything they say because you can't understand them.I have never had so much trouble getting through to someone, let alone someone who actually speaks english to the point that they only have to say the things once.

I think if you are going to have a really productive student loan company, you need to get people in there working that actually knows how to speak a little more than a slurpy amount of english.

I have also called a few months ago to have a coupon book sent to me to make my payments and I have never received one. I had to call several times since then and request the same thing. I don't know why these people can't get their stuff together so that when someone calls with a concern/question, they can talk to an American the speaks English...

• Al
                alison Nov 10, 2008

sorry you've had trouble with the outsourced customer service, but all your information is available at manageyourloans.com once you register an account, including a summary of all loans, how much you need to pay on each loan, and when the payments are due, as well as information regarding how to request and set up automatical withdrawals, deferments, and forbearances yourself. this should help.

• Rb
                RBO Feb 02, 2009

We were having the same problem. Yes, we know about "manage your loans" online. But what if every time you checked there was different or conflicting information? Late fees being applied to EXTRA payments that were made EARLY? This is what was happening to us, yet when we would call, after waiting on hold for up to an hour, we would get someone on the phone who knew nothing, and typically we would get several different answers. Finally, I saw on a Sallie Mae consumer-complaint web site, to contact our local congressman, which we did. We sent a certified letter to both the congressman and a copy (also certified, return receipt) to Sallie Mae. We also faxed the letter as well.
                All of our issues were settled within the month, and even though we couldn't consolidate, my daughter was at least able to lower her payments to an amount she could pay (they went from $594 a month to $316 a month. The Sallie Mae person on the phone told us this couldn't be done. Hah!
                Anyway, I recommend the same process. Be sure to send a "thank you" letter to your congressman as well as your Sallie Mae consumer advocate (you will be assigned one.) It will help to have this phone number handy for future questions!

• Az
                az mc May 19, 2009

I have to agree that Sallie Mae is one of the worst loan companies I had ever the misfortune to work with. If not for my fear that my interest rate might be more than what's at Sallie Mae, I would try to find some other lender to consolidate all my student loans.

I had deferred my loans because I just couldn't pay right out of college. I started to pay my loans for a while, until circumstances forced me to defer again. Last year, I started to pay again, and after about a year or so of looking at my invoice and payment schedule, I stopped looking as my monthly payments would remain the same for another year. That's when the nightmare started.

My account was reported as delinquent. I ordered a credit report and was shocked to see that I was "late" in payment for Sallie Mae. I have set up an automatic online payment with my bank (not through Sallie Mae's website) to send monthly payments to Sallie Mae. So, why was my account late?

It seemed they've added a loan which was not mine in the first place. Collections called and harrassed me at home and at work about payments. I thought they could not harrass and embarrass me at work? They were obnoxious and rude as well.

In any case, I called Sallie Mae and kept on telling them that I need an explanation of why this new amount and Loan #5 was in my account. They told me that I should know since I made payment to it. I told them that I have two statements, one for education loans and the other for careertraining loan. The account number for both types of loans are the same. How would I know how Sallie Mae applied my payments to my account.

I made two checks (twice monthly) to cover both types of accounts. I assumend all the money was applied to both accounts as to whatever the payments to each type of accounts should be, and the rest, as I requested, would go towards principal.

It took 6 months before they could clear off the loan which was not mine. In the meantime, I had to take another forbearance because I can't afford the monthly payment plus all the fees that they slapped me for being "late" in paying (towards the account which was not mine).

I had a client advocacy from Sallie Mae to work with me. This only happened because I called my school to call Sallie Mae. I have never gotten any help from Sallie Mae without that first initial call from the school to them. My account was cleared and the late fees reversed and all the payments to the false account was placed into my loans as payment. My deferment period ended 4/16/09.

Silly me thinking I don't need to look at the statement/invoice while my account is in deferment. I knew I would have to make a minimum payment beginning 4/16/09 and already set up my bank to forward that amount to Sallie Mae to be paid by 4/15/09.

Guess what? Sallie Mae charged me LATE fees for the account which they told me to request deferment while they're fixing the problem of that wrong account. AND they even sent a notice of delinquency because they seemed to think I have not paid my loans, eventhough it was in deferment period.

The total Career Training and Education Loans monthly payment is $242.15, I make online payment of $243.00. But Sallie Mae did a whacky and weird payment application that my loans looked like I have not paid for one in a long time. So currently they reported me as owing $311.95. How is that possible when the minimum payment I sent covers the minimum payments and a little towards principal?

This is the second time around that Sallie Mae is screwing my life. I have called recently, faxed, email, all to no avail. I am seriously trying to look at other lenders and see if they would just give me a loan so that I could get out of Sallie Mae because I hate them.

The departments within Sallie Mae never talked to each other. The client services personnel or anyone there, never write down or insert any client comment in our files so that anyone who's handling part of my account would knowt he history/story/issue. The other department could not stop the collection harrassment call even while I was working with the client advocacy unit at Sallie Mae trying to clear off that false loan account.

Sallie Mae is a rip off, and an unethical company. The government should set up an audit for this company and also to witness first hand how rude and ignorant these people are. I honestly hope that the government audits this company, Sallie Mae, and also check it's business ethics. SALLIE MAE SUCKS.

Manipulation Jun 22, 2009

Listen, I'd rather not go to school then use a Sallie Mae loan. Actually, I didn't go to school because of there ridiculous interest rate and HORRIBLE customer service.
                The school I had applied for used Sallie Mae for a loan, the loan amount was for 25, 000. With interest the total loan amount was 75, 000, that's 50, 000 in interest!. My credit score at the time was 730, so it wasn't because of bad credit.
                I called Sallie Mae to cancel my loan and was told I was all set. Well a month later i get a bill in the mail for 350.00, the amount that was expected every month if i had followed through with the loan.
                This went on for approx. 3 months, with me calling the school and Sallie Mae with no "real" help.
                To make a long story short, to avoid months of headaches, frustration and stress, (not to mention the fact that no one at Sallie Mae speaks english good) find another loan agency or bank to deal with.

• Na
                NathenS Nov 04, 2009

Ill be short here. I have paid Sallie Mae for years now and guess what, my balances is now higher than it was before I started paying back my loans!!! This is insane. At one point I had over 2, 000 dollars worth of "fees" added to my account. At this rate I will pay over 80, 000 on a 30, 000 loan. How is this right? How is this legal? Also, all these comments are correct in saying that no one at Sallie Mae knows what they are doing. Every single time I call I get a different answer to whatever question I am asking. Something has to be done, they have to be stopped.

• Je
                jetdr Apr 06, 2010

Sallie mae allowed my son to co- sign my name to a $12, 000.00 loan (on line) without me knowing about it ( out of the country) until I recieved a notice in the mail 3 months later. They also told him the interest rate would be between 6 and 7 percent. When he got the payment coupons, the stated interest is 12.7 percent (interest only) for 5 years, amortized for 15 years after. Called customer service 10 times talked to ten incompetent employees.

• Mr
                mrjbird1 Jun 22, 2010

I've talked to five different customer care specialists, none of whom have command of the english language. They are either from the Phillipines or Indonesia. One asked me what the difference was between regular mail and e-mail. No matter what you ask them, its like name, rank and serial number. Here's your due date, here's the amount.

SALLIEMAESUCKSREALLYBAD Aug 26, 2010

SALLIE MAE IS THE WORST STUDENT LOAN COMPANY EVER!!!

Their customer service is HORRIBLE!

1. They do not speak ENGLISH!
                2. They do not know anything about your account!
                3. They call you 5 million times, and when u call them back, they had no reason to call you in the first place!
                4. When you have a cosigner, its a HASSLE to get anything done!
                5. This company does not know what they are doing!

If it wasn't for the short amount of time I have to get a loan, I would NEVER EVER NEVER EVER get a loan from them!

I had such a stressful week because of this stupid idiotic company. I will NEVER apply for SallieMae AGAIN!

Sallie MaeAdded unsubsidized interest on subsidized loan TWICE- ignored dispute letters and phone calls

My daughter's school loan suddenly had unsubsidized interest added on to a subsidized loan. She wrote letters, including a certified letter with proof o delivery, asking for an explanation and that the charge be removed. Sallie Mae never answered one letter, which is illegal. The interest kept going up and because I'd had the same thing happen to me with ACS that cost me $500 I never actually owed, and I was too busy to keep after her to keep after them, I paid off the $200.00 with a letter from her disputing the actual debt. At least it couldn't keep going up until we had time to devote to hassling with them.

To my surprise, last year unsubsidized interest was added to her bill, AGAIN. She is in school with an in-school deferment, which shows up on her account, and it is a subsidized loan. There is absolutely no reason for that charge to be on her account!

Again, she contacted them to straighten it out and they have entirely ignored her. It is now up to $200.00 again. Unless I pay it, which will total $400.00 literally stolen from us (in addition to the $500.000 ACS stole from me for my school loan), it will climb higher!

I see that Sallie Mae was completely privatized in 2004, with no more relationship with federal government. That is when these problems started.

Sallie Mae must believe they will never be held accountable because they follow no laws regarding contacting students before adding fees or interest for forbearances and defaults (which they are supposed to do a specific number of times if three payments are missed, and if they did students would know when the company is making a mistake on their account instead of discovering it down the line), and they do not bother to respond to disputes at all, let alone within the timeframe the law requires!

john Oct 27, 2008

I recomend that anyone involved with Salie Mae take a look at these websites:

One of them explains what happened to allow an altogther evil organization to gain so much power. The other one gives you an explaination of the things you can do if you are a victim of this blatently criminal organization. I wish I could say there's encouragment here, but there isn't. The best thing to do is NOT to use Sallie Mae. They are exempt from consumer protection laws and it is illegal for any other lending institute to compete with them. So once you have a loan with Sallie Mae, you can NEVER refinance with someone else. Just use credit cards to pay for school, then file bankruptcy. It is cheaper, faster and safer than using Sallie Mae. Or, be a resident of California where there is no tuition in their state schools.

• Gs
                  gsh Sep 10, 2009

I did not even think to look for that. My wife has numerous loans serviced by SLM. My wife returned for a bachelors degree but had to take a couple of semesters off. She had existing loans on in-school deferment and some of the new loans had their grace period used during the off semesters which then ended up also being on in-school deferment before graduation. So far everything is as outlined in the agreements. SLM never did update their record of graduation date despite a number of ways they had the info to do so including; an enrollment clearinghouse, replies to notification of repayment beginning, application of additional loans, the school's financial aid and registrar offices notifications. Well, each transition of status from grace, in-school deferment, etc. allowed for capitalization of accrued interest. Then, there was the erroneous early repayment status which was not being resolved before the new payment was due - twice (merely a coincidence to this post). The payment was made to avoid a late payment and associated fees. Those payments were not refunded despite being made with notice of dispute, but that is a small issue. The bigger issue is the associated capitalization of interest which should never have occurred. I never thought it would contribute greatly, but now I have to run some calculations. It also never occurred to me to verify that only interest from unsubsidized loans was being capitalized. Now with the poor job markets the loans are on forbearance with reduced payments, but the capitalized interest may now be contributing more than anticipated. If so, and some was capitalized earlier than permitted, then that equates to unjust enrichment. The correction would have been entirely in their hands. They have no incentive to make such corrections. They have plenty of incentive to NOT make such corrections.

Sallie MaeHorrible company all together!

Sallie Mae is a horrible comapany all together. Customer service is probably the worst and no one knows anything. I wanted to pay off a loan which was over $20, 000 and they had the nerve to ask me why I wanted to pay it off and I should split the money up to pay other loans. Just today I called to speak to someone about a forbearance due to our economy and my recent lay-off. The lady informed me that they no longer did 6 months they decide how long you should have maybe 3 months manybe even two she told me. Who are these people? Do they have souls? She was the rudest person yet. They want you to pay a $150 fee to put your account into a forbearance...where does that money go? not my loan accounts! and now every 2-3 months!! HORRIBLE COMPANY!

john Oct 27, 2008

I recomend that anyone involved with Salie Mae take a look at these websites:

• Jl
                    jlb Mar 30, 2009

Sallie mae has the rudes people why is the goverment letting them fleece us. Have we not been screwed enough. Low lifes run it

Sallie Mae — Co-signer uninformed

I co-signed a student loan for my son. Sallie Mae kept calling me at home and the callers were not very nice...

Sallie Mae — Breach of contract consolidation private loans

I graduated from a Tech school in December 2005. I have three private loans from Sallie Mae. Ive had several;...

Sallie MaeHorrible Customer Service

Sallie Mae's customer service is a joke. Forget trying to talk to someone that even speaks english.

I was recently charged twice on my bank account. So I call them to try and get my bank account straight..hah. They pretty much tell me too bad, you may get a refund, you may not. Fax us a letter and a bank statement we'll get back to you in 7 days when they clearly said " I do see where we charged you twice." Then refund me! It's really not the difficult. Thank you Sallie Mae.

• Sh
                      ShonniT Feb 19, 2009

I agree that Sallie Mae customer service is a joke, and I know what you mean about getting charged
                      twice, their collection dept took 195.00 out of my account twice.
                      I trying to find out what I can do, whom I can talk to, and where I can go because I live in california,

Did you get your refund?

I called Sallie Mae and asked about my refund they said it would be 30 days, I said that is to long
                      I had talked to the Credit Union I bank with and that I have an affidavit for them to take over, I recieved my
                      refund from the credit union, because they have proof that I paid all my payments.
                      They are taking over. You should do the same.

• Or
                      orwell33 Nov 04, 2009

Sallie Mae is a marvelous ###.

• Or
                      orwell33 Nov 04, 2009

Pardon my aggression, but Sallie Mae is a marvelous ###.

I was charged twice, was then told that a refund check would be issued overnight. 10 days and 125 phone calls later - NO CHECK!

Everyone claims that they can't answer my question so they continue to transfer me until I reach an inactive line that disconnects the call.

I'm making scheduled payments regularly so I feel I'm owed more professional treatment from such a large company. My business relationship with them has been awful and it's unfortunate that they can get away with this behavior.

• Br
                      BrentY Mar 03, 2010

I am in complaint agreeance with all above statements! I don't claim to be the best at paying my loans all the time, but I just recently authorized Sallie Mae to take $200 out of my checking account to cover a payment. I discovered this weekend that not only was that amount pending to my account, but so was an amount of $199.95 (an amount that was never mentioned to me, nor authorized). My bank informed me that it was probably just some sort of account hold that would be returned back to my account once the $200 went through. Well today i checked my bank account and discovered i was now over drawn. I discovered that both amounts were taken by Sallie Mae which caused the other bills I had payed afterwards result in over draft fees totaling $105. I contacted S.M. and went through the circle of thick accents trying to get things cleared up. They asked me to fax a copy of my bank statement showing the withdrawls along with the overdrafts so they could review them and "get back to me". Well I faxed it during my lunch break and called after work, to just verify that they recieved the fax. Apparently a company as big as S.M. cannot let you know until 48hrs whether or not they get a fax. They can make dozens of calls to us (the ones making the loan payments) each day, but can't make one call to the department getting the faxes. And that department cannot recieve calls from anyone else. Oh, and did I mention that I was told all of this by the all powerful "Floor Supervisor" which is as high up as you can go apparently. There is so much to say, but thats a brief statement of my experience with them today.

Sallie MaeConsumer affairs

It’s hard to think about what is the right thing and what is the wrong thing to do. I feel like I’ve always tried to do the right thing for myself and those around me. Why, then, does it feel like everything I’ve accomplished in recent years is a mistake? In 2002, I did what most high-school graduates do: I applied for college. I was accepted into the State University of New York at Plattsburgh, which meant relocating from Tampa, Florida to Plattsburgh, New York. I suppose this was my first error in judgment.

Going to college is great, no doubt about it. I chose to go to a school out of state (way out of state), though, which meant a greater cost of tuition. Not only that, but my financially not well-off parents apparently made too much of a combined income for me to be offered any sort of support to help pay for college.

Immediately, I was thrust into the world of student loans. My parents and my brother did their best to help me out when I first started my college career, but soon enough I had built my own positive credit and was able to acquire loans in my own name.

That sure felt nice. I was financially independent from my parents. I was learning and growing on my own. I was becoming, or was preparing to become, a functioning, important part of society.

And then I graduated.

That’s supposed to be a time for great joy, right? Celebrations and parties. Pats on the back and hand shakes from those who have taught you for the past four years. A first step into the “real world” where you could find a good job. A job that would put everything you’ve studied for the previous four years to work. A job that would help you sustain an adult life.

Now, I realize that you’re not guaranteed a firm landing feet-first as soon as you receive a diploma. I didn’t expect, though, that it would take two years for me to find a job that applied even a hint of what I had studied each day.

So, there I was. Finally. A job that I enjoyed in a field that was related to my degree. Things were looking up, right?

Wrong.

Because I still didn’t make enough money to cover the costs of my growing student loans. The main problem? Loans through Sallie Mae. A company, who I’ve found, through research online and from word-of-mouth, is one of the most customer unfriendly loan-servicing companies around. A quick Google search of “Sallie Mae Complaint” will bestow upon you a bevy of sites chock full of people voicing their displeasure with this company.

I could be one of them. I should be one of them. Each month, Sallie Mae expects me to pay them in excess of $400. That comes out to be a third of my paycheck each week. That doesn’t sound so bad, until you factor in some other things. Things like rent, groceries, bills... oh, and let’s not forget – my other student loans.

I spoke with Sallie Mae. I tried to tell them that there was no possible way that I could afford that payment each month. I tried to tell them that I just didn’t make enough money to make ends meet. I tried to work with them to lower my payments. I tried. They didn’t. Every response was a canned response. Every solution came from a playbook intended to drive my debt up even further while I flounder.

I’ve met with a student loan advisor whose advice to me was: “You need to have more money. Or marry someone who does.”

Solid advice.

I sought out additional employment, and I’ve finally come across it. Now I work two jobs – one full-time, one part-time. From 9 to 5, I have a day job where my degree is put to use. From 5 to 9, 10, or 11 PM, I wash dishes. Is this it now? Are fourteen hour work days the American Dream?

It might be, but I wasn’t done there. I’ve now got a third job! A design job on a project-by-project basis. 24 years-old with three jobs, and I’m still not sure if I’ll be able to fully support myself. Maybe that’s it? The unending stress and helplessness that comes with being a college graduate? Is that the American Dream?

I know that I’m not alone. I know that I’m not the only person who is affected by a loan company keeping them from experience a life that is free of doubt and sadness. I know that I’m not the only person trying to work with a company to set some sort of realistic payment plan to work on paying off a debt.

I know that I’m not alone. But maybe nobody else knows that. Maybe other people in my shoes don’t know that there are others just like them. Maybe the people who would fight for us don’t know that there are enough of us out there who are struggling. Maybe the people who are holding us down need to know that there is a better way. Maybe the people who outrank them need to see that there is something happening that just isn’t right.

I’m not looking for an easy out. I’m not looking for a way to get out of paying my loans back. I’m just looking for a way to pay my loans back. On time. At a rate that I can afford without having to decide if I’d rather not buy groceries this week or not pay a bill.

I thought I had it all figured out. High-school. College. Graduation. Job. I took all of the right steps. I did all of the right things. Still, I win and lose. I succeed and fail. I take one step forward and one step back. All at once. Every day. I am going nowhere with these problems looming over my head.

If this is how it is supposed to be – if this is the American Dream, then I hope that I wake up to a better reality.

Corey Collins
                    Plattsburgh, New York
                    [protected]
                    [protected]@gmail.com

AnnJo Sep 23, 2008

You say your monthly loan payment is $400 and that is equal to 1/3 of a week's paycheck from your full-time job. That means you make $400 x 3 x 4.3 weeks in a month = $5, 160 net after taxes.

Or do you mean you devote 1/3 of your paycheck each week to paying a $400 a month bill, meaning your net monthly income is $1, 200? Your hourly rate would have to be less than $9 an hour for that to be true. If it took you two years to find a $9 an hour job, your problem is not your student loan, but something else altogether.

Sallie MaeLoan sharks business

Well, actually I think that all entire loan sharking/leg breaking business in the entire world is managed and maintained by the Sallie Mae educational money lending system.

Even when a student pays their loan off, Sallie Mae retains that student for further use... they ruin your credit ratings, hold on to your name and address...just in case you might be dense enough to use Sallie Mae for another loan and then they really have you, for years to come.

My experience with the Sallie Mae educational loan system was like walking the plank and while the Sallie Mae sharks swim furiously underneath!

• Je
                          JEFF Nov 14, 2008

They are worse than the Mafia! I only borrowed $5, 000 but by the time I'm done paying I will have paid over $30, 000. I pray that God will come down and kill all of them. We are debt slaves to these ###!

Sallie MaeBeware students!

Sallie Mae, has a kept a student loan on my 3 credit reports for the past 22 years!! I defaulted on the loan in 1985, because Sallie Mae refused to acknowledge the original payments, so I stopped paying them until they recognized the 1985 payments. I have since paid the loan and SM will NOT REMOVE the loan from my credit report!! This is after I have a telephone conversation stating they would. Now, Transunion has changed the date of the default from 1985 to 2006 and states that Sallie Mae is telling to keep the loan on my credit reports for another 7 years.. THATS!!! 29 years of this loan with a $2, 000.00 balance (now paid 100%) on a student loan. SALLIE MAE, is no better than a LOAN SHARK SERVICE and the 3 credit bureaus are their LEG BREAKERS...

I wish I had another SALLIE MAE loan, so I could NOT PAY IT ALL!!! I think that everyone should stop paying back SALLIE MAE, because they lie, cheat and deceive students, take their money and then destroy their credit anyway. SALLIE MAE IS SUBSIDIZED LOAN SHARKING!!!

• Ba
                            Babs Oct 13, 2008

I don't think Sallie Mae has the legal right to do that. You need to send letters of complaint to your state senator/s against both Sallie Mae and the credit bureaus.

• Bu
                            bus_driver Apr 26, 2014

Sallie Mae is corrupt, crooked, lies, cheats, steals, and harasses people into getting their mafia style loans, then treats you like complete filth afterwards, if you need anything from them.

DO NOT GET LOANS FROM THIS ORGANIZATION!!! Sallie Mae is nothing more than a government backed SCAM to bilk and cheat money out of as many unsuspecting people as they possibly can!!!

And there is NOTHING you can do about ANYTHING once you have signed their "deal with the Devil"!!! Once you have signed, they have you! And I mean, they HAVE you for the REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!

Go ANYWHERE ELSE to get a loan, just do NOT use Sallie Mae or any other "government backed" organization!!!
                            They are ALL "legal' criminals!!!

Sallie MaeThey tricked me

I defaulted on a Sallie mae loan yes things happen so I made arrangements to be on a payment plan 460 for 3 months then 250 for 4 months then 2 payments of 1600.00 bucks to settle the loan I worked over time on my new job to get the money and it hurt... I was told I would get a letter saying the loan was settled called after the funds cleared they said it would take a few weeks will I checked my account I still owe 3200 bucks and I am getting the run around.. they are saying that Sallie mae does not do settlements and I need to keep making payments mind you my next payment is not due until 2010 but I can still make payments to Sallie may on a loan that is suppose to be defaulted how is that when I try to talk to them about it they keep hanging up the phone on me or giving me other numbers to call...when I call there collection side I was told that the money I paid was not a settlement but a good faith payment WTF??

so after paying 6300.00 on a 5000.00 loan I still owe 3200.00...also they are saying my next payment is do 2010 ($115) but I also owe collection fees of ($213) also due in 2010 when I asked how is this I got another number to call.

• Su
                              SuperVepr Aug 06, 2009

The government is a bloated vampire. Sallie is one of their blood banks.

John W. Harding Aug 06, 2009

I should add that you do have a serious issue. They are deceptive, both to the student and the taxpayer (who ends up stuck with loans, plus all the added fees and interest, if they are never paid).

Sallie Mae — unfair collection practices

I contaced Sallie Mae May 1, 2007 after the sudden death of my 23 year old son, whom had a student loan with...

Sallie MaeWorst Customer Service

Worst call center reps EVER, ANYWHERE. They must not take notes when they talk to you, because the next time you call, they have no idea what you're talking about. They will not acknowledge the fax you send them, and if they do, the next time you call they'll insist they didn't get it. They'll tell you you owe them money, you pay it, and they still bombard you with phone calls. You pay them, they insist you didn't pay them what you were supposed to. You speak with a supervisor, they tell you one thing, in a week, month... it's as though the conversation never took place. You cannot contact supervisors directly. You'll almost never be able to understand the reps due to their heavy accents and fast talk. They'll steer you wrong everytime, and give you inaccurate information and empty assurances.
                            Make Sallie Mae your last LAST last resort for loans. i recently consolidated some other student loans with American Education Services, and WOW, it's like night and day: the people at AES are great! And no late payment fees (for at least a month i think). they make paying back your loans easy as pie. with sallie mae it's like pulling teeth from the ### of the the incredible hulk - on steroids. And i'm pretty sure these people are totally scamming people out of money left and right. I can't believe they're not being prosecuted for something.

• As
                                asdxrwh Feb 05, 2010

For four months in a row since establishing a loan Sallie Mae has screwed up my son's school address, and sent him past due emails, and continues to say he has not been set up on automatic debit. I am the cosignor, his dad, and he and I have called in to customer service and they tell us everything is fixed. Well this is the 4th month in a row we've had to call in a have them "fix" it. Just today they again said we'll fix it, we'll see.