Ryland HomesNew Construction

E

Ryland lures you in with claims of quality construction and then installs damaged, broken materials. Ryland will try to patch mistakes before you notice. They make you sign plenty of forms that you have never even thought of to ward off being sued. When I went in initially requesting desired features I would like, the salesperson lied and said I could have them. They take large non-refundable deposits upfront and lock you in the contracts while they break their agreements they have in place. The Design Center overcharges for upgrades and randomly change your choices or do not complete the upgrade you paid for. Ryland will convienently say "oh, that is not included" even if you have it in your paperwork. I regret building with them and this is my 3rd constructed new home ( used other builders) and by far the most dishonest builder. Even when things are their fault, no one takes ownsership or accountability. They make excuses and delay your home until you give up. You have to be your own construction supervisor because no one instructs or monitors the workers (main reason so many mistakes are made). They make you feel like you are asking for above and beyond to correct known mistakes. Everything is a fight. They only care about taking your money. They don't care about the customer, how much money you have spent, issues they cause you by delaying construction or the fact this will be your home. They made me hate my new home. My neighbors are constantly calling customer service to fix things and are disgusted too. What else can I say...choose another builder because you will regret after the new house feeling wears off and you see the shabby work what you just paid for. They are dishonest and don't care about your home. DO NOT BUY A RYLAND HOME, you will regret it. I wish someone warned me.

jay truth Feb 21, 2015

So glad we saw this before buying THANKS. We also noticed the small lots of Ryland Homes. A friends Condo has a bigger yard than Rylands single family homes what a joke. Prices are way out of line.

• Di
    Dissappointed Home buyer Dec 29, 2013

Since we signed our contract with Ryland in May, 2013, we have had major concerns and issues throughout the entire design and build process. Frankly, it's been by far the worst experience we have ever had in building a new house, and this is our fourth time in this process.

While we have had many concerns throughout the process, the absolute final straw was the fact that the appliances delivered do not match what we ordered. We paid $1790 in upgrade fees. There were substitutions in the oven and dishwasher that were outside of the GE Profile line. Low-end substitutions from the standard line were installed without any discussions with us on alternatives.

Our dissatisfaction in Ryland is not just about downgraded appliances. It's the culmination of every interaction we have had with Ryland Homes since our first design session. Lack of product knowledge, pricing discrepancies, wrong interior paint, wrong exterior paint, not following the blueprints, downgraded appliances, mortar not meeting spectrum white as ordered, disregard for both manufacturer's and industry association requirements for engineered hardwood installation, and countless other issues have pushed us past our saturation point. See attached document for details. We are at the point where we have lost complete faith in Ryland Homes's ability and intent to deliver a quality home. While we were once very excited, we now hate everything about the new house and all of the issues that exist. We simply cannot and will not discuss or argue with Ryland anymore.

We are done. We will not be purchasing the house. Since the house that Ryland Homes has built does not meet the features that we have specified in our contract, and Ryland Homes has totally disregarded manufacturer's installation requirements for very high price upgrades such as the flooring and the mortar, Ryland should deliver a compete refund of our deposits. We know that getting a refund from Ryland will be nearly impossible, but we determined that our cost of moving in with the potential problems would be much worse.

• Di
    Dissappointed Home buyer Dec 29, 2013

I wish someone warned me as well. Considering that Ryland is one of the largest homebuilders in America, you would think that
    they would build a decent home. We signed a contract in May 2013 and were supposed to close in January but after seeing all of the mistakes and poor quality workmanship we just can't go through with it. If you buy a Ryland home, you need to monitor the activity on a daily basis. So far, they have painted the interior and exterior the wrong color, installed windows improperly, covered up outlets with drywall, installed wrong kitchen cabinets, installed broken cabinets, installed wrong backsplash, installed hardwood floors without following manufacturers installation instructions, bricked house with beige mortar instead of white, peformed poor workmanship on tile installation in bathrooms and kitchen, in addition to many more mistakes. There were so many mistakes that we started to be concerned about the things we didn't see.. We have zero confidence in Ryland's ability to build a quality home. . For more details, visit http://www.slideshare.net/TerryFlaherty1/building-a-house-with-ryland-twin-creeks-cedar-park-tx?from_search=1