Complaints & Reviews

filthy merchandise

I have been to several stores in Salem, Oregon and Portland Oregon. Each time finding Used,Filthy items on the shelfs and hanging on racks. The worst is when I found a Pair of Mens Boxer Briefs. That were Stained with blue tranfer stains from obious wear. They also had human bodily stains as well.
To top it off the were marked at Full Price. I reported it to an Employee and got this look of confusion. Then the Employee had the nerve to asked what I wanted them to do with the Underwear.
I asked that she call the manager over so i could speak with him. The manager came and spoke with me. Was i suprised to here the answer to my question. As to why and how could any store put this garment out to be sold to any customer. His reply was simple " I have no idea how these underwear got tagged or put on the rack." Then he gave the Employee a funny look and walked away. Not another word.
I have since check everything over while there in the store. I've only been twice with my sister since then. I have yet to get over what happened. I have never had this hapen to any store that i have ever shopped in before. The Company need to put some kind guide line as to what they will put back on the shelf.

• Do
    dogwood Dec 07, 2007

Why do you go to "several" cross stores in the area... if the experience is really that bad?

• Do
    dogwood Dec 07, 2007

what did you want them to do, get down and beg for your mercy because you found a dirty or stained item on the floor, what exactly did you want.. an apology, more likely a discount.

Get real and live in the real world. Otherwise, go shop at Macy's... they are perfect!

• Ti
    Tiffany Dec 11, 2007

I have to agree, but yes the associate should have made things easier and just M.O.S ed them... into the garbage.

We find that kind of stuff funny, thats just something that doesnt happen very often, i bet they had a good laugh back in the break room.

FRM May 09, 2008

Yes it should have been tossed out not put out for sale. But do you take into consideration how many returns are done in a day? How much merchandise is in the store? It's not hard to loose track of a piece or two, especially during a rush of impatient customers at the registers. If you want to be mad at someone, then how about the revolting customer who stained the nasty things to begin with then brought them back to the store and put them into the hands of some innocent cashier. Disgusting.

disasterous store

I have lived in Bellingham for six years now and have not been able to shop at Ross Dress for Less. The store looks like a bums yard sale with clothes, bedding, shoes, etc strewn all over the place. You couldn't push a cart in any of the isles even if you tried. I've been to Ross Dress For Less in Idaho and have never seen such beautiful stores. I don't understand why the Washington stores can not be ran the same way. The employees look like people off the streets, dressed shabily and you have to wait in line for an hour most times to even purchase something. I would think the company would make alot more money if they offered a much more appealing store to shop at with higher classed looking employees, not to mention the store carries clothes that are crap. Whoever does the ordering for the store does not follow the commercial ads on T.V. for products. I would love to be able to shop in our store in Bellingham but will not and I am not the only one who feels this way. I am writing on behalf of at least 100 other people, all whom I either know personly or have spoken to as they have left the Ross store without purchasing anything.

• Bo
    Bobbie T Dec 19, 2007

The Bellingham store is an accident waiting to happen. I have complained via email to corporate a year ago about this store and have taken pictures with my cell phone. The other day I was in the store and watched a grandmother and I assume her daughter falling while trying to get through the sheet isle. Its only a matter of time before they get sued for an injury. If I hear of anyone bringing litigation against Ross for any reason, the litigants attorneys will be getting copies of my electronic letters and pictures.

Everyone I overheard talking was talking about the condition of the store. I wonder why the CEO does not care that the condition of his stores represent him. Of course, maybe the fact that CEO MICHAEL BALMUTH has sold off 1/5 of his shares in the store within the last 3 months may give you a hint.

• Ti
    tina Mar 07, 2008

I was in Vancouver shopping at Ross and i couldnt even walk down an aisle it was so trashed everything everywhere and when a lady complained to the cashier in line she left then the cashier and manager made fun of her as i was checking out.
    our store in north bend oregon is spotless and nice but not 1 friendly person works there Im wondering if a requirement to work there is to be a snooty person.

• Su
    sueana May 29, 2008

I've been to a Ross store. I never had seen soooo much disrespect from the customers. Thowing merchendise clothing on the ground. Putting dirt marks on the stores clothes so they can get a discount. I guess the welfare has to go shopping on shopping sprees too. It is like that everyday! Think about it. If you were a emplyee you would have to spend 2 freakin hrs picking up after slobs who want something for nothing. As if it ain't cheap enough already! After closing you should see the mess and you never can get caught up. The lines are always long and busy. The cashiers can never get a dam sec to pick up OR straighten up. You know what we are all human. And their are always gonna be snooty cashiers out there. Just try not to be one yourself and that makes a world of difference in interacting with custmoers and them returning to wherever you work! Sometimes we can't help it but we have to follow the rules and unfortunely that creates angry custmers.

• Da
    danna23 Dec 03, 2013

I guess everyone knows what kinda store Ross is, y'all know what to expect, if you want a nice store go somewhere else. You want cheap clothes? Then stop complaining cuz the mess isn't done by the associates, but from costumers. Want a nicer store? Don't leave the things on the floor and put them back where they belong! Stop saying "it's their job" cuz even though it is once an associate cleans up doesn't take more than 2 mins for y'all to unorganize it again! The assiciates have so many things to do and can't always be after y'all picking up your mess!

racist manager who doesn't care who he hires!

I am working at a Ross store and one of the managers has been proven so many times that he does not care who...

poor service!

I went to the Ross Dress for Less on Campus Way South in Kettering MD with my mother, who was in a...

filthy store, rude employees!

Ross Dress For Less is the filthiest stores I have ever been in. I have tried 3 of these stores to only find...

how to get heard at ross

The first thing is to calm down. The more you rant, the less inclined the employee will be to help you. The more you rant, the more they want to just shut you up and get you to move on.

Ask for the district manager. There are other managers in the store, but they're mostly troubleshooters. If he/she is not there, write them a note stating your concern BRIEFLY and asking them to call you by a certain time. Tell the DM specifically what action you want taken: "I want a full refund," or "I want you to speak with the associate about the proper way to handle this situation, and I want you to let me know when you've talked to him/her."

I like Ross, but they under staff purposely, in order to save money on payroll. So we are in a constant state of rushing and don't have enough time to keep the store tidy or clean. I have been admonished for trying to clean the (nasty) keyboard on my register. I was told, "We don't have enough time to clean." I want thing to change, too, so get your voice heard at Ross corporate!

• Bu
    buffrust Jun 01, 2007

Are you actually an employee at ross?

• Je
    Jennifer in San Jose Apr 28, 2010

Location of problem occured at San Jose, California located on Curtner Willow Glen area.

On sunday I went to Ross with two dresses and receipts inside the Ross plastic bag for return. As I entered, there was a super long line. So I decided that I don't wan to stand in line once for the return and then another time if I decided to buy something. I saw some dresses that I would like to try on. I went to the dressing room and the rude fat woman (between 20's to early 30's) told me I cannot bring my bag into the dressing room. I told her she need to make sure no one touches my stuff and she said okay. But I can tell that look on her face that she didn't like what I just said to her.

As I came out, she was no where to be found and there was only one bag there, so I assumed it is mine cuz there is no other bag outside of the dress room. I ended up not buying anyting and decided to return my two dresses during the weekdays since it is always quiet and no line. I am a stay home mom. Today, I decided to go and return my dresses and I opened up the bag which was tied in a knot. I was shocked to find out that the items inside the bag wasn't mind. There was a pair of children jeans size 14 with brand name tag but no Ross tag and a super huge polyster cheap pair of short with a ross mark down tage of $5. My gutt feeling is someone must heard what I told the dress room lady that it is two really nice dresses and she must look after it cuz I don't want anyone stealing them.

My worst fear happened on sunday. Someone stole my bag and walked out of the store since there is no sensor on them. Or my other hutch is the store dress room employee got pissed off at me and switched the items to get back at me.

I called to the store today and no one seem to care enough to help me. They told me that the store manager isn't there. I guess I have to take that big lost and return the polyester shorts for $5 store credit since it is not my item and I don't have the receipt to it.

This happen like around 2 p.m. at Ross. If you are corporate, you should make your employees are accountable for things like this cuz if it happen too many times, you will lose your good customers and attract only the bad customers. Deep in my heart is that I stil think that the Ross Employee switched my stuff to get even with me. I spend hundreds of dollars at Ross already. You wouldn't want all your customers to go to Marshall and TJMAXX. They carry identical products for similar prices. I am just a loyal customer and only putting up this complaint so higher mangement know about these kinds of issues at Ross.

If some Target can help friendly and polite employees, you can too do that!!!

inaptly run their stores

I just came back from the Ross Dress for Less store on La Brea and Sunset. I left after realizing that there...

dishonest management

I was employed @ the ross on commercial and dixie, off oakland park blvd. My manager went on vacation mrs. J. Martinez. The day before spring break I found out it was spring break so I asked my assistant manager what to do?"She said well do what you have to do" I told her I have always been home with my children so this was never a problem for me.I wrote a letter stating that due to lack of knowledge and having no child care that I will not be able to attend work for the week of spring break and that I apologize for the inconvenience. My assistant manager approved it and I took the week off.When the manager returned from spring break she fired me before spring break was over so I called Mr.Volger from corporate office. He was supposed to Talk to J.Martinez because the assistant manager told the manager that she approved the week of spring break but j. martinez fired me even after hearing the truth. I wanted justice for her unprofessional actions. Mr.Volger never called back!I saw a ex-coworked who informed me of a number to call the complaint on no-good managers, so I called a young lady named Beth, she too has never called me back! So I decided until I can get a new job I would file for unemployment,so I did. Today I get a letter in the mail stating that I did not have proper authorization for an absence(this is a lie!!!) so they denied me. I want to fight this how can I get help for this situation FAST, because J.Martinez is lieing and J.Williams told her the truth in my presents and now she has LIED to government. This has got to be illegal and I need a professional to help me on this discredit of an honest persons characteristics and honor that is undeserved based on some womens spiteful, disrespectful and unprofessional character!I need HELP ME HOWARD!

[protected]@yahoo.com

• Ni
    Nicole Bollinger J. Oct 24, 2007

The store needs better employees the hire allot of customer service workers that speak very little or no English I was an employee there and I was one of the very few who can speak English It really ticked me off one day and quit because they kept having meetings in Spanish and I did not know what they were talking about and they had there nerve to ask me to at least pay attention I told them I didn't understand and they should speak in English.

• E
    E Nov 05, 2007

I'm currently employed at a Ross store and yes, they really need to stop being so dishonest. One of my managers had made a racism comment towards me, which I will be reporting to HR, however from reading your complaint I have no hope that it will even go through to them.

I agree with Nicole that they need to hire people who know how to speak the English language, instead of hiring people who only know how to speak Spanish; it's very difficult and I can't even communicate with the co-workers because like 70% of them know only Spanish...

Francie Simrak Nov 18, 2007

Re: firing. Did you make a copy of the letter ? Did you get the approval in writing? If so, then those are your proofs to unemployment, otherwise its your word against their word. And no, its not right.

Fran

Chris Tucker Jan 12, 2008

Im sorry to hear all of this but never work @ Walmart either that place is alot of ###.
    Im part of that wage lawsuit they have against Walmart. You should look @ suing Ross and file and agreevince against Ross. Go to your local labor industrial. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!!!!

FRM May 09, 2008

Find someone at you local unemployment that you can talk to. My friend was fired from Wal-Mart a year ago and was initially denied unemployment. But she re-applied and talked to someone there and the second time around she got her due.

• Bj
    BJ Williams Jul 21, 2009

I am a Ross employee at anew store that has only been open for a year and a half.I recently got a yearly review for a first time raise since time of hire which has been from the beginning.To my surprise due to the minimum wage increase i only got 3 cents higher than a new hire because Ross chose to give raises before the increase.I am a dedicated employee who never calls in and is always willing to stay over when needed.I feel as if my dedication has gone unnoticed.

worst place, rudest people!

I went to the Ross store on 75th Avenue and Bell in Arizona today and I found a white skirt and there was no...

Resolved poor service, unkempt store

It is so painful that I have to write this, for I love the products at Ross, but the shopping experience i...

unreasonable people always has the first loud word

I took my 4-yr old daughter to do some shopping at Ross (333 Ward Ave., Honolulu, HI 96814) on 10/21/06. She found a Winnie the Pooh chair/table set to be very cute. The set is approximately 3 x 3, and weights 25 pounds. Anyway, it is both bulky and heavy esp. when you have to take care of a little kid, and I am barely make 5 ft. After I struggled to slide the set on the shopping cart bottom, and went to the cashier; The cashier (associate #432577) stated that she could not scan the set because the way the set was in the cart. I asked if she could help to move it up to inside the cart so that I could pushed it to the parking lot, where my car was.

She said:" you can do it. Just bring it up!"

I said:" I can't do it, can you help?" Note: I am a person who doesn't ask for help al least I really need it. I happen to have weak wrist that I should not carry heavy items.

Unwillingly and with a long face, she finally move her body and came around to my cart, and dump the set flat on top of the cart.

I said" " I needed it inside the cart safely so that I can take it to the parking lot."

She ignored me.

I managed to move it inside the cart. Pls note that by putting the set flat on top of the cart, the set could fall down and hit anybody who might walk by. Do not forget that the top of the cart goes downward. I asked her if she could put the set inside the cart. Then she turned out to be very upset and angry.

"You can't take the cart to the parking lot! She raised her voice:" I can't scan the box now"

Well, I didn't know that. I moved the box and dumped it on the counter and returned the shopping cart to where it belonged.

When I was signing the sale slip, I dropped my credit card on the counter when she asked to see it.

She was telling me that I was throwing things around, and called Chris, manager on duty for attention. She told Chris that I was throwing things around.

I was totally caught off guarded for her to say that. I guess the unreasonable people always has the first LOUD word.

"I did not!" I replied.

"yes, you did. We have a video camera." She answered confidently.

I told the manager what happened but he didn't say a word.

I dragged the set to my car and came back to say to the manager:" I haven't started complaining about yet, but she had to complain about me first. This is another thing I am not happy about."

"I know." Chris said.

How to fix the problem? Fire her, and a $50 gift cert.

• Bu
    buffrust Jun 01, 2007

Everyone should do what you say... you have baby. Not by choice... you just have one, you chose to take shopping with you. I would suggest a more expensive retailer for the service you deserve.

I will never return to this store

I went to Ross for Less on Tunnel road in Asheville, NC today after i worked a 12hr shift. I was in line to...