Complaints & Reviews

the creole speaking workers

My complain is the girls at the cashier at the ross store at gate way and congress avenue. They are very rude...

store atmosphere

I don't understand why Ross let's the consumer get away with throwing their merchandise all over...

terrible experience

My name is Haaheo Tagaloa. I had purchased a Liz Claiborne luggage at Ross dress for less on 06/19/08, around...

mean management

As I was strolling with my merchandise to the check-out at the Ross Dress for Less store on summer at Warring...

hostile working enviroment

I was an employee at Ross from May 2007 to June 2008. I quit because of many reason, main one being the store...

employees

This company is the most whack ### company I have ever worked for. They treat the employees like dogs and the...

ridiculous customers!

I work at one of the Ross stores in Tucson, AZ. I have been reading the complaints expressed on this site and...

they stole my money

Ross has always had a bad reputation. However, I shop there all the time because of bargains. I shop there very often, once in a week at least because to find something really nice among junk clothes you have to do it. I buy a lot for some people from abroad. What happened to me today is unbelievable rude. Below is the story: a month ago I bought two identical dresses for $12.99 each. The person, I bought for, didn't like it, so I came to return them. At customer desk, I figured out that one of the dresses had a wrong ticket (From men's department). Manager of the store named valery martinson shocked me on front of many people by telling "I know you shop often, but we always have trouble with your returning". First of all, thats not true. I don't return used clothes and don't cheat with tickets. It is not just rude, it is unbelievable unexceptional. She made me feel like I am a sort of shoplifter. Can you imagine? She accused me for their mistakes. They sold me that dress with a wrong ticket!!! I recommeded to do a better job and do not let people to feel so uncomfortable, and of cource she refused ross' mistake. When I told her that she should apologize, she even didn't react. As a result, she refused to return me $12.99 for the dress with a wrong ticket and gave me only a $8 for it. I lost some money because of their mistake, but it is not big money to worry about. She made me feel like a shoplifter, like a dishonest person. It is not right for anybody, and especially for a loyal customer like me, who spend way too much money at that store. I would like the manager who is responsible for hiring people, will solve this matter

• Ob
    o.b. May 11, 2008

ps: i mean unacceptable

James May 31, 2008

Did the clothes look used? or did they have a smell to them? Did you have a receipt that said 12.99. Cuz if you did they cant deny that you paid 12.99 for it. duhhhh

marika Jun 10, 2008

of course absolutely NO. It was NEW dress, no smell, no used, I DID have a receipt and original ticket, but in receipt shown a different #, but with same 12.99. Btw, the ticket had a different price 19.99, but i paid 12.99. they messed up, and blame ME. I already complained to corporate office, they promised to take care of and I never heart from them since...
    what I learned from this story is: you have to ALWAYS check tickets in a case you return some items...

ross management

I worked at the Ross store up in the Springs and I was one of the openers for this new store in pueblo. For...

rude assisstant manager (betty)

I was returning a pair of shorts that did not fir my son and I was basically called a thief by BETTY the...

w2

I am very angry and disappointed at Ross Inc. from management with their lame excuses to payroll all the way...

terrible service

My name is John and i recently went to the Ross in Monaca PA. And i had horrible time. The floors were a mess. There were a number of clothing items that were out of place. There are cloths all over the place. I happen to go there when the plumbing was out and i had to go next door to use the bathroom. But the worst part is, there was "stuff" comming out of the sewer and it smell horrible. They should of shutdown the store. I went to an employee and the employee did not know when the plumbing would become available again. When purchasing, the lines were long and i waited about 15 minutes just to get ring up. There was other employees doing markdowns. I ask an employee why they don't call up more people to ring and the response was horrible. They said it was the people ringing were the only ones that have been train and there were no other people to ring. It was a really bad expierence. My new shirt i bought smelled horrible. i washed it and it was still smelling.. errrrrr

ROSS DRESS FOR LESS IS A TERRIBLE STORE.

GO NEXT DOOR TO MARSHALLS. IT'S NOT HAS CHEAP. BUT THE EXPERIENCE IS BETTER.

• To
    tomax87 Feb 27, 2008

If it smelled that bad why did you not just turn around and leave? You know there was no one there that made you stay and purchase a shirt... Quit you crying it like do you have nothing better to do than go online and ### about something the store itself had little control over. After reading the complaints on this site I think that Americans have gotten to a point where we no longer appreciate and value how lucky we are. And we are willing to complain about anything and everything and not step up and change the situation. Like you could have turn right around and left and went to another store that did not have a plumbing problem and purchased your shirt. But instead you stayed even though you were unhappy with the situation and then complain about it later on the internet. Boo hoo for you.

• Az
    az Apr 20, 2008

Ross has no organization and lacks good management. they need to hire a college graduate with management skills.

• Fr
    FRM May 09, 2008

So you went into a store that smelled horrible and took your time shopping... at your own free will. I'm sure the employees who had to work 6-8 hour shifts in the stench for minimum wage while customers yelled at them and left scattered merchandise in their wakes were lucky to have you.

• Sp
    spiralsands Jun 25, 2008

Going to Ross is like going to a garage sale. Everything looks used or dirty.

• Je
    Jennifer in San Jose Apr 28, 2010

My incident occured in San Jose, CA located on Curtner (new store) in the Willow Glen area.

On sunday I went to Ross with two dresses and receipts inside the Ross plastic bag for return. As I entered, there was a super long line. So I decided that I don't wan to stand in line once for the return and then another time if I decided to buy something. I saw some dresses that I would like to try on. I went to the dressing room and the rude fat woman (between 20's to early 30's) told me I cannot bring my bag into the dressing room. I told her she need to make sure no one touches my stuff and she said okay. But I can tell that look on her face that she didn't like what I just said to her.

As I came out, she was no where to be found and there was only one bag there, so I assumed it is mine cuz there is no other bag outside of the dress room. I ended up not buying anyting and decided to return my two dresses during the weekdays since it is always quiet and no line. I am a stay home mom. Today, I decided to go and return my dresses and I opened up the bag which was tied in a knot. I was shocked to find out that the items inside the bag wasn't mind. There was a pair of children jeans size 14 with brand name tag but no Ross tag and a super huge polyster cheap pair of short with a ross mark down tage of $5. My gutt feeling is someone must heard what I told the dress room lady that it is two really nice dresses and she must look after it cuz I don't want anyone stealing them.

My worst fear happened on sunday. Someone stole my bag and walked out of the store since there is no sensor on them. Or my other hutch is the store dress room employee got pissed off at me and switched the items to get back at me.

I called to the store today and no one seem to care enough to help me. They told me that the store manager isn't there. I guess I have to take that big lost and return the polyester shorts for $5 store credit since it is not my item and I don't have the receipt to it.

This happen like around 2 p.m. at Ross. If you are corporate, you should make your employees are accountable for things like this cuz if it happen too many times, you will lose your good customers and attract only the bad customers. Deep in my heart is that I stil think that the Ross Employee switched my stuff to get even with me. I spend hundreds of dollars at Ross already. You wouldn't want all your customers to go to Marshall and TJMAXX. They carry identical products for similar prices. I am just a loyal customer and only putting up this complaint so higher mangement know about these kinds of issues at Ross.

If some Target can help friendly and polite employees, you can too do that!!!

w2

I have been waiting for my w2 and I still have not received it. I have called customer service and the...

disatisfied customer

On November 30, 2007 while shopping at the Ross Department store located at 4032 Grand Ave. Chino Hills, CA I wanted to try on several items before purchasing. I was told by the young lady working in the dressing room that in order to try on any garments in the store I had to see the manager first. This made me very upset, the reason I was given, the manager was the only person in the store that could take off the magnetic security alarm which was attached to the garment. I immediately went to see the manager and question why would any store have the customer wait to see the manager in order to try on a garment. His response was for security reasons this is a store policy. I have never seen this policy practice at any other Ross store. Two employees told me that several customers have left the store because they didn’t have time to look for the manager. Can Ross afford to loss customers?
To make matters worse I purchased over $200 in merchandise and was told by the manger, that it was also a store policy that customers couldn’t take carts out of the store to there car. One of the items I purchased was a 15 pound iron wall picture. How could any store make a customer carry a 15 pound item without a cart. I told the manger that I would be filing a complaint. I have never seen customers treated like this in any store, and I have no intentions of ever going into another Ross Store again.

James May 31, 2008

Hey! Not all Ross stores are like that..but i believe those workers were informed of a wrong policy or new temporary store change. After all people do steal. And carts are only for shopping in the store, then we check and bag the items for you but i understand your complaint for the heavy painting. Someone should of helped you to your car. Hope you come back to Ross one day we have great prices!

• Al
    alberta Oct 09, 2008

HI,
    My name is Alberta and I am just wondering if it is any chance for me to order on-line some products from your store, Ross, Dress for Less. I am residing in Austrlia and I visited USA ofter. I am in love with your store as I could find wonderful deals. So, please, let me know if there is any chance to order or to view your products on the line,
    Regards,
    Alberta Roman

Margaret Whiteside Oct 10, 2012

I recently had gone to Ross for Less in Asheville, North Carolina. I had a purchase of over $85.00, was standing in line behind one other couple. The manager came up and told us they were changing the line so we had to walk through a maze. As there were only two couples there, I did not go back and walk through the maze, at which point the manager approached us again stating that anyone who was making a purchase had to form a line in the designated area. I said in these exact words, "lady, I am not making a purchase." I then walked out of the store, and will never return. Therefore, they lost over an $85.00 sale. I am not in kindergarten, and do not need to be told how to line up to make a purchase. It may be less, but the service is slow and the manager is unbearable. I will take my business to K-Mart or Marshall's.

Margaret Whiteside

horrible service!

HORRIBLE Service. In which trailer park they find employees??? No MANNERS at all, not even basic busine...

filthy merchandise

I have been to several stores in Salem, Oregon and Portland Oregon. Each time finding Used,Filthy items on the shelfs and hanging on racks. The worst is when I found a Pair of Mens Boxer Briefs. That were Stained with blue tranfer stains from obious wear. They also had human bodily stains as well.
To top it off the were marked at Full Price. I reported it to an Employee and got this look of confusion. Then the Employee had the nerve to asked what I wanted them to do with the Underwear.
I asked that she call the manager over so i could speak with him. The manager came and spoke with me. Was i suprised to here the answer to my question. As to why and how could any store put this garment out to be sold to any customer. His reply was simple " I have no idea how these underwear got tagged or put on the rack." Then he gave the Employee a funny look and walked away. Not another word.
I have since check everything over while there in the store. I've only been twice with my sister since then. I have yet to get over what happened. I have never had this hapen to any store that i have ever shopped in before. The Company need to put some kind guide line as to what they will put back on the shelf.

• Do
    dogwood Dec 07, 2007

Why do you go to "several" cross stores in the area... if the experience is really that bad?

• Do
    dogwood Dec 07, 2007

what did you want them to do, get down and beg for your mercy because you found a dirty or stained item on the floor, what exactly did you want.. an apology, more likely a discount.

Get real and live in the real world. Otherwise, go shop at Macy's... they are perfect!

• Ti
    Tiffany Dec 11, 2007

I have to agree, but yes the associate should have made things easier and just M.O.S ed them... into the garbage.

We find that kind of stuff funny, thats just something that doesnt happen very often, i bet they had a good laugh back in the break room.

• Fr
    FRM May 09, 2008

Yes it should have been tossed out not put out for sale. But do you take into consideration how many returns are done in a day? How much merchandise is in the store? It's not hard to loose track of a piece or two, especially during a rush of impatient customers at the registers. If you want to be mad at someone, then how about the revolting customer who stained the nasty things to begin with then brought them back to the store and put them into the hands of some innocent cashier. Disgusting.

disasterous store

I have lived in Bellingham for six years now and have not been able to shop at Ross Dress for Less. The store looks like a bums yard sale with clothes, bedding, shoes, etc strewn all over the place. You couldn't push a cart in any of the isles even if you tried. I've been to Ross Dress For Less in Idaho and have never seen such beautiful stores. I don't understand why the Washington stores can not be ran the same way. The employees look like people off the streets, dressed shabily and you have to wait in line for an hour most times to even purchase something. I would think the company would make alot more money if they offered a much more appealing store to shop at with higher classed looking employees, not to mention the store carries clothes that are crap. Whoever does the ordering for the store does not follow the commercial ads on T.V. for products. I would love to be able to shop in our store in Bellingham but will not and I am not the only one who feels this way. I am writing on behalf of at least 100 other people, all whom I either know personly or have spoken to as they have left the Ross store without purchasing anything.

• Bo
    Bobbie T Dec 19, 2007

The Bellingham store is an accident waiting to happen. I have complained via email to corporate a year ago about this store and have taken pictures with my cell phone. The other day I was in the store and watched a grandmother and I assume her daughter falling while trying to get through the sheet isle. Its only a matter of time before they get sued for an injury. If I hear of anyone bringing litigation against Ross for any reason, the litigants attorneys will be getting copies of my electronic letters and pictures.

Everyone I overheard talking was talking about the condition of the store. I wonder why the CEO does not care that the condition of his stores represent him. Of course, maybe the fact that CEO MICHAEL BALMUTH has sold off 1/5 of his shares in the store within the last 3 months may give you a hint.

• Ti
    tina Mar 07, 2008

I was in Vancouver shopping at Ross and i couldnt even walk down an aisle it was so trashed everything everywhere and when a lady complained to the cashier in line she left then the cashier and manager made fun of her as i was checking out.
    our store in north bend oregon is spotless and nice but not 1 friendly person works there Im wondering if a requirement to work there is to be a snooty person.

• Su
    sueana May 29, 2008

I've been to a Ross store. I never had seen soooo much disrespect from the customers. Thowing merchendise clothing on the ground. Putting dirt marks on the stores clothes so they can get a discount. I guess the welfare has to go shopping on shopping sprees too. It is like that everyday! Think about it. If you were a emplyee you would have to spend 2 freakin hrs picking up after slobs who want something for nothing. As if it ain't cheap enough already! After closing you should see the mess and you never can get caught up. The lines are always long and busy. The cashiers can never get a dam sec to pick up OR straighten up. You know what we are all human. And their are always gonna be snooty cashiers out there. Just try not to be one yourself and that makes a world of difference in interacting with custmoers and them returning to wherever you work! Sometimes we can't help it but we have to follow the rules and unfortunely that creates angry custmers.

• Da
    danna23 Dec 03, 2013

I guess everyone knows what kinda store Ross is, y'all know what to expect, if you want a nice store go somewhere else. You want cheap clothes? Then stop complaining cuz the mess isn't done by the associates, but from costumers. Want a nicer store? Don't leave the things on the floor and put them back where they belong! Stop saying "it's their job" cuz even though it is once an associate cleans up doesn't take more than 2 mins for y'all to unorganize it again! The assiciates have so many things to do and can't always be after y'all picking up your mess!

racist manager who doesn't care who he hires!

I am working at a Ross store and one of the managers has been proven so many times that he does not care who...

poor service!

I went to the Ross Dress for Less on Campus Way South in Kettering MD with my mother, who was in a...

filthy store, rude employees!

Ross Dress For Less is the filthiest stores I have ever been in. I have tried 3 of these stores to only find...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices