Having problems with Restaurant.com?

Restaurant.com reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Aug 8, 2007. The latest review Zoodoo African and American Restaurant was posted on Jul 7, 2021. The latest complaint thieves was resolved on Nov 25, 2014. Restaurant.com has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 96 reviews. Restaurant.com has resolved 33 complaints.

Restaurant.com Customer Service Contacts

1 877 640 1844 (Restaurants)
1 800 979 8985 (Customers)
+1 855 832 8728 (Customer Service)
1500 West Shure Drive, Suite 200
Thu8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Fri8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
SatClosed
SunClosed

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Restaurant.com Customer Service. Initial Restaurant.com complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Restaurant.com above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Restaurant.com. Discuss the issues you have had with Restaurant.com and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Restaurant.com Complaints & Reviews, Page 4

Restaurant.comI would definitely not recommend that any business sign up with this company

I manage a business that signed up with Restaurant.com to help get NEW customers into the business. When we signed up, the representative told us that users could only purchase coupons once a month and that our subscription could be cancelled at any time.

After seven months, we noticed that the same customers were constantly using the coupons (definitely more than once a month), and it was drowning our sales tremendously. We did not have any new customers coming through the doors with these coupons and it was costing us a ton of money (since the business does not see any of the money that consumers pay to purchase these coupons), so we decided to cancel. I called customer service and was told that a supervisor would have to call me back to be able to cancel our subscription. After 4 days with no call back, I called again. And again, they told me that someone would have to call me back. After almost a month of this (I left my work number and my cell in case they called while I was not at work), I finally was able to speak to someone about cancelling our subscription. I was then informed that we were under a year contract and we not allowed to break it! I felt completely tricked since I asked the representative over and over again to make sure that I could cancel this at any time! I had been blatantly lied to. Apparently their policy is that you have to give mailed, written notice that you want to cancel your subscription, and it can only be cancelled 90 days from the date the letter is received! Even after I jumped though all of these hoops and mailed the letter, after 90 days, they were STILL selling coupons for my restaurant and it took ANOTHER 3 weeks for someone to of course, call me back. It wasn't until I called there threatening to sue because they were selling $100 for $4 after the 90 days was WELL up, they finally took our site down.

I have had numerous customers call here, asking if we accept restaurant.com certificates. We do only because we feel like it is not the customer's fault that restaurant.com is dishonest.

As a restaurant manager, I would definitely not recommend that any business sign up with this company. As a consumer, it is a great site to use as long as the restaurant still accepts the coupons. I would definitely call the business first, just to make sure, before purchasing.

2 Responses
    • Sm
      SMITHYREST Feb 05, 2012

I've had the exact same experiences. They are dishonest, they misrepresent the program, and are unwilling to respond to any issues.
      DO NOT SIGN UP WITH RESTAURANT.COM, YOU WILL REGRET IT.
      If you already have, I would suggest you send the letter now to get out, the process takes forever, and they will keep selling certificates.
      IT'S A SCAM

• Al
      ALEX SALMASSI Jan 31, 2012

THIS IS THE BIGGER SCAM IN THIS WORLD. I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND I AM TAKING RESTAURANT.COM IN COURT..THEY DID THE SAME THING TO ME...

Restaurant.comMisleading website & advertising

Received restaurant.com card as gift. The restaurant.com website lists many participating restaurants in central NJ. Tried to redeem the card at a restaurant listed on their website, only to find that the card could be redeemed at relatively few restaurants, i.e., just because a restaurant is listed on their website does not mean you can redeem your card toward discount at that restaurant. VERY MISLEADING.
    Later purchased a $100 discount coupon for $40 with no apparent restrictions, only to learn of restriction after clicking to purchase the item, i.e., have to spend at least $200 at the restaurant to use the $100. discount coupon. This was NOT indicated to me prior to purchase. MISLEADING and DISHONEST. Hopefully this is also illegal, as I'd like to see restaurant.com shut down to protect other consumers from such practice.

• Sh
        Shubhkam Jan 02, 2015

Recently I went to the Mantra restaurant in downtown Jersey City. It serves Indian food. We had a LOT of leftovers - specially the rice -like 80% was leftover from 2 different rice orders - obviously growing up in a 3rd world country you cannot waste food or water, so we asked the waiter to pack it. To my shock the next night when I went to eat it - there was a TINY FRACTION of what should have been my leftover rice that I paid for and deserved to take home. I am very upset as this is the 2nd restaurant this has happened at. The first was Confucius in Jersey City where they gave me a tiny portion of my large schezuan eggplant dish leftovers! I stopped going there - and I guess I'll have to do the same to Mantra - the schmucks! What is up with that? Why aren't they packing what's rightfully my leftovers and giving me only a tiny bit to take home?? Are they serving my leftovers to other customers?? Its very annoying since I don't even open the bag until a day or two after having gone out - its usually late at night when I have no energy to call and yell at the manager for running such a dip-crap operation! And then there's the Brownstone diner with the obnoxious staff - after making 7 of us wait for over an hour and it was the 3rd time I went to ask the maître-de?/man when we were going to be seated - he said "if you ask me one more time I won't seat you at all!!??" I was furious, I left with our out of town visitors and never went back there again either - I am sure if I was white he wouldn't be talking to me like that! So fed up with the restaurant experience around here - its so much better to stay home; but when you have company you're forced to go out because everyone wants to eat their own thing.. But its just such a pathetic experience at some of these places - specially when you think they're neighborhood places who should be interested in repeat business!

Restaurant.cominvalid certificates

I purchase 4 certificates at once on the restaurant.com website for a local restaurant. They cost me $2 each and I was to recieve a $25 gift certificate for each. I received an email and was able to print the coupons out. Went to the restuarant and on the front door was a copy of one of these certificates and in BOLD BLACK letters it read-this restaurant doesn't accept these certificates. I contacted restaurant.com and all they were willing to do was give me certificates to another restaurant-non which were local. I have filed a complaint with paypal to get a refund. I also noticed they are still selling these certificates on their website-SCAM don't buy

Respond

Restaurant.comDon't use this site... it's not worth it

This site is HORRIBLE!!! First off I bought a deal online for Restaurant.com that advertised the deal as "$50 Restaurant.com GIFT CARD". When you read GIFT CARD that means you get that money off no matter what you spend. That is NOT the case with this site. They DO NOT have gift cards they have COUPONS...big difference there. Also, I looked at the website first and looked at the list of restaurants that you can buy "gift certificates" for, but if you have an eGift Card those sames restaurants don't show up as ones you can go to. I bought the deal for those specific restaurants I saw at first and come to find out that I couldn't even go to those ones. With an eGift Card you can't see the restaurants you are allowed to go to until you have an actaul eGift Card to redeem. That right there is a litte deceiving when they show some restaurants, but you can't actually go to those restaurants. Also, they have partner sites that you can use your "gift certificates" at...well... I have had to contact those sites mutiple times along with restaurant.com because I have had so much trouble using the "gift certificate". One site actually told me that Restaurant.com was giving out EXPIRED certificate numbers and that's why they won't work online.

I have been dealing with the crap site for a few weeks now and I have told EVERYONE I know not to use this site. It is deceiving, they aren't gift certificates, and I have had nothing but issues trying to buy Christmas presents for people I know.

Don't use this site... it's not worth it. You are better off buying an actual gift certificate to a restaurant instead of trying to use a coupon with way too many restrictions.

Respond

Restaurant.comFraudulent Coupons no refund

I bought a restaurant.com certificate last night - the restaurant refused to accept it, said "We told them to take us off their list - we don't honor their coupons, they are fraudulent". I was disappointed as I had just bought it that night... called restaurant.com this morning and explained they said they CANNOT ISSUE A REFUND but would give me another certificate to a restaurant of my choice... I didn't want that just wanted a refund and they wouldn't give it to me, so I had to go thru my credit card company... STAY AWAY from this company - very slimy.

jaberwocky Nov 19, 2011

it clearly says on their site:

"Please note that Certificates cannot be returned for a refund of the purchase price."

and any restaurant or business has the right to refuse coupons at any time for any reason, read the fine print.

By going to the credit card company, you are skirting the rules of the site YOU agreed to by using it, which means you are in the wrong, not them.

Restaurant.comClassic Bait and Switch Scam

I wish I had read the reviews before I bought into this scam. Huge mistake! They list several reputable classy restuarants on their site as places you can gift certificates. What really is on the list when you go to redeem your certificate is another story. I paid $20 for a $50 gift certificate, sounds like a good deal doesn't it. When I went to redeem, there were several restaurants listed that don't accept the promotion, or are "out of stock". What is left are a list of restuarants you don't want to eat at. Plus, when I redeemed my certificate, it had a clause that said I had to spend an additional $50 ($100 total) to use my $50 certificate. Do the math and you will see this website is a RIP OFF!!!

• Tt
                ttaylor29229 Mar 16, 2013

Well yes you have to spend $100 to get $50off, but it clearly says that while your are browsing the coupon on the site. I have used that one many times. You spend $100 and get $50 off. So you are getting $100 worth of food for $50. Sounds good to me. Comes in handy when your pates are $40-$95 a plate. Like Henneys in Cola SC or Saluda's in Cola SC or the Brazillian Grill in Cola SC or BB Kings joint in Las Vegas or even the TV show "Chopped" Celebrity Judge Chef Aaron Sanchecz restaraunt in Las Vegas. Believe me $50 is about 1 persons plate in these extravegant places.I have been to all I have mentioned and used a Restaraunt.com certificate to assist my wallet.

Restaurant.comI purchased coupons for a particular restaurant who refused them

"I purchased coupons for a particular restaurant who refused them. When I informed Restaurant.com, they didn't stop selling them and refused to give me a refund because 'they didn't know'. I would call the establishment and make sure they honor the coupon and that they will continue to do so until you can use it."

• Tt
                  ttaylor29229 Mar 16, 2013

I understand where you are coming from but I have used Restaraunt.com many times and purchased sertificates of places who no longer took them. The staff at restaraunt.com was always kind and eager to help me replace the cerificate with one of equal value. Although they did not give me a monetary refund but I still recieved the same item of equal value. And when I told them they no longer accepted certificates since 5 months prior, she actually contacted them and tried to find out why. After she was done with them, she helped me and the very next day, the restaraunt was sold out of certificates and within that same month, they were not on the list anymore. So I dont understand what happened in your case. I have always had positive experience with them. I have been using them for years since 2007 and about twice a month we go somewhere on date night.

Restaurant.comRestaurant no longer accepts certificates

I bought a $25 Yoko's gift certificate three months ago - I did not rush to use it since it noted that it did not expire. We attemped to use the certificate tonight and were told that Yoko's no longer accepts the certificates due to problems with restaurant.com. Apparently restaurant.com was difficult to get in touch with. They did mention that we could call and get our money refunded into restaurant.com credit to use towards another certificate. Do I really want to go through the effort and have this happen again? Probably not and that's probably what the website wants so they get to keep their profits.

• Dr
                    dreamk Jul 13, 2011

this restarant.com .. they bad .. they're only think they do the business but they didnt think the restaurant owner will cover the food cost and rent employee and others ... we want to cancell but they didnt want to do it for us.. it's not right . we are not even use them or get the customer from them that much.. we ask to cancell or ownership change .. they dont want to do anything.. Gosh .. this company just want to make money from nationwide restaurant. send cheap customer.. most customer complaint here they siad they are not cheap customers if they siad are not cheap why use restaurant.com...cheap is cheap cant change... so think about it... look like restaurant just give food for free withou make any profit. we want to keep it run and stay ... people need a job... please understand..

Restaurant.comBad customer service

Sales person IDRIS, Oh might gutch, He was so mean, he was mad everytime I asked a question, he was walking me thru the web to print out my certificate, for a first time buyer is so difficult to do it yourself, he tried so hard to make you feel so stupid. Everytime I asked go to continue he will say something like is self explanatory, at the end I told him he has a job because of us purchasing, and if he continues to treat people like that he won't have a job soon because this was the last time i was going to buy from them . Please dont buy from this place, they should traine their people first and I hope restaurants.com reads this and gives him some kind of disciplinary action. I almost have my company start bying frm them

• Un
                      unsatisfied in PA Dec 19, 2011

If you think customer service was bad, wait til you use your coupon! Nightmare & totally fraudulent. Buyer Beware, stay away!!!

Restaurant.comHOW TO DIVORCE YOUR RESTAURANT FROM THESE ### SUCKERS!

BEWARE and do NOT sign your restaurant up for this SCAM! They will bleed you dry and take what little profit margin you have left! If you are in the unfortunate position of having signed up for this program, they will ignore your repeated requests to cancel the program and try every trick in the book to keep your listing on their site so that more and more of your customers are printing these coupons and using them like monopoly money for free food and drink.
                    We are restaurant owners who kept notifying them for 6 months of our cancellation, but they kept ignoring us. We finally got smart and found ONE strategy that worked. It finally dawned on us that they were continuing to post our photos, menus, and other copyrighted materials on their site despite our repeated demands that they remove the listing. We had to send them a formal certified mail letter as legal notice BOTH to Restaurant.com AND their internet service provider notifying them they were engaging in willful federal copyright infringement in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act by continuing the display our copyrighted photographs, designs, menus, and other media belonging to us on their web site despite our repeated “take-down” notices to them.

The letter demanded thousands of dollars per day in copyright damages for every one of our copyrighted images for each day they continued to display such images on their site, plus attorney’s fees and court costs. BAM! Our listing was taken down within hours of sending them (and their ISP) this legal notice. So any restaurant owners out there who are suffering with this company can try this copyright angle if they refuse to promptly cancel your listing upon request.

For the rest of you, just say “NO” and don’t get sucked into this scam in the first place! You are MUCH better off creating your own “loyalty” program where you can attract and reward customers in ways that are under your complete control. For that matter, you can create a Facebook listing and simply send out posts on facebook offering specials to your followers there. You don’t need Restaurant.com and it is potentially very dangerous for your business.

• De
                        Denise67 May 25, 2011

I too am a restaurant owner and I signed up for a 90 day period to accept the coupons and I followed my contract to the "T" including a notice to the company stating that my contract would be good for only the 90 days and then it would opt out - They call my business constantly and tell my employees that I will not be taken down until I do an "exit" interview with them - WHAT is that ??? I even allowed some older customers to take a carryout so that they could make their minimum to try and be helpful and what do I get in return??? Harrassed by this company and their refusual to honor my notice to remove myself from their site. I also have posted a sign at my front door stated that my 90 day contract is up and no longer accept the coupons. This company was given the written notice they said they required and then when I told them that something needed posted on the site about my contract end date so that people would not waste their money on the coupons that it wasn't "THEIR" problem - so who's problem is it??? It doesn't allow me to make the changes to the site!!! So now my attorney said he will handle their fraudelent practices. BUSINESSES STAY AWAY>>>>>>

• Pe
                        pegitom May 20, 2011

offer every rdc customer that comes in the same deal as rdc. That way you get the GC money and the difference in the GC vs. minimum purchase. RDC works as your advertising vehicle and then you steal all of their customers. Win win.

• Jb
                        jbs3626 Mar 16, 2011

I put a sign on the front door and on our websight that posts "we no longer accept rdc coupons"

Restaurant.comfraudulent coupons

I purchased through my nursing insurance site NSOMarketplace, some restaurant.com coupons for a Christmas gift for my children at their favorite restaurant. When they tried to use them, they were embarrassed to find out that they were fraudulent. I notified restaurant.com on February 25th I believe and was told I could get replacement coupons to another restaurant. I stated that I wanted a full refund. It seemed that i was going to get my refund until today when I received an e-mail stating that I cannot get a refund because I paid through PayPal and they cannot refund past 60 days! I purchased these on December 23, 2010. They were found to be fraudulent on February 25th and I cannot get a refund! I am very upset about the run around I am getting!

• Dm
                          dmendenhall Nov 19, 2011

Restaurant.com also issued me fraudulent coupons - I found out the same day I purchased and they said NO REFUND as well - just would issue me another coupon for another restaurant of my choice... I protested said they are advertising restaurants that don't accept their coupons and they took no responsibility. Slimy company - stay away.

Restaurant.com — RESTAURANT OWNERS LAWSUIT

ATTENTION RESTAURANT OWNERS! We own several restaurants in Iowa and was recently scammed by RESTAURANT.COM...

Restaurant.commisleading sales pitch

You will not make money using their service! They will mislead you into believing that. When, in fact, you will begin to lose money once your regular diners find out about the coupons and begin using them at every visit...we are learning this the hard way and wanted to reach out eveyway way we can to educate others before it's late. Beware...There is a 90 day period BEFORE you can opt OUT of the program!
                        On another note; their customer service division is a nightmare to deal with...they don't like to respond to complaints via email...and continually insist on replying to my emails via telephone...wonder why? I want everything recorded, could it be that maybe they DON'T! Be wary my friends...

2 Responses
                          • Fd
                            FDL_HOU Jan 30, 2011

How many damn days in the row, do you plan on republishing this. GET A LIFE

• Lo
                            Lopmoksmith Jan 30, 2011

Not legitimate

Restaurant.com — STAY AWAY!!! THEY PLAY DIRTY!!!

Restaurant.comMISLEADING

ATTENTION ALL RESTAURANT OWNERS AND MANAGERS:
                          IT IS VERY CRUCIAL YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE ENTERING INTO IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING DOING BUSINESS WITH RESTAURANT.COM!!! Please read contract closely and ask lots of questions. Do some research on them and you'll know what I mean.
                          I wish someone warned ME about them.

• Jc
                              J Carol Smith Jun 16, 2012

I purchased 3 coupons-2 @ $4 each one @ $20. When I completed my purchase, I could print the 2 $4 coupons but the one for $20 did not even show up.

• Sh
                              Shellin-Lin Jun 27, 2011

I wish had read your posting before signing on the paper with them they are a scam~ big scam~

• Jb
                              jbs3626 May 03, 2011

Screw RDC. Post a sign on your door and websight stating you don't take the coupons anymore and call it a day. If you piss off customers that use the coupons, oh well. They'll never be back without another coupon anyways. RDC is a profit eater

Restaurant.comMisleading advertising

BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL IN BUYING FROM THIS SITE. There is a slight possibility it may save you money if you are buying $100 or more in food from a restaurant. But see the minimum purchase bait and switch described below. Chances are that whenever you see a minimum purchase less than $100 in the description of a restaurant, your certificate will be printed with a minimum purchase of $100. Then add 18% tip and that it may not apply to anything but food and you may need a good calculator to see if it is saving you money.

Frequently a restaurant is advertised on its website with one minimum purchase but after you buy the certificate the minimum purchase increases to $100. Example on 10/24/10 Japanese Blossom in Chico CA is advertised with a "Minimum purchase of $35" but the certificate you buy has "Minimum purchase $100"

• Ne
                                New York2 Aug 22, 2011

I am a restaurant owner. Unfortunately I have gotten involve with this scamming company, if I had known from the beginning how they worked I would not have even talked to them. They did not disclose any information about selling coupons or gift certificates to costumers, nor did they mention the fact that they keep all the money from those sales. According to the sales representative they wanted to put our name in their website for people to comment on it. This has caused us major economic problems since we are not getting any money from it. We tried to cancel, but they have REFUSED TO DO IT. THEY WON'T CANCEL AND THEY WANT US TO HONOR THE GIFT CERTIFICATES WHICH THEY KEEP SELLING FOR AMOUNTS OF 10 - 100 DOLLARS.

Restaurant.com/phong Dinh Restaurant — Scam at restaurant.com

Hello Friends, Please dont buy gift cards at restaurant.com. I bought 8 gift cards to use at 501 W Garvey...

Restaurant.comRestaurant.com Certificates

I just want to say that to actually complain about restaurant.com only indicates how stupid you actually are. That is a great program and there is NO scam involved at all. It is a simple and straightforward program. Everything you need to know about how to use the certificates or gift cards can be found on the website, if you can read that is. The only requirement is that you can actually comprehend what you read, its not rocket science people. First when you purchase the certificate it clearly states beside the price the restrictions that the restaurant itself wants placed on that particular certificate. It also states that you can only use 1 certificate per restaurant per month which means you can use a different certificate at a different restaurant each night just not the same restaurant in a 30 day period. Like I said its not rocket science it just takes people who can read and comprehend what is right in front of their eyes. Also, the certificates NEVER expire and you can ALWAYS call them and change restaurants for ANY reason as long as you have not used the certificate already. No, I dont work for them I just love their program and it has given me and my family a chance to eat at places we could never afford to eat. Naturally the idiots out there who always want something for nothing or who are not happy unless they are complaining about something are trying to ruin it for the rest of us smart people. So quit trying to get everything for free and learn to read!!!

• Wo
                                  Worthless certificates Feb 29, 2012

You are being shortsighted in the scope of your comment. There are more issues at stake here than not comprehending the terms stated on the certificate. In my case, I purchased 20 certificates. 13 of them are worthless because now, merely a few months after these "no expiration date" certificates were issues, the restaurants are refusing to honor them. That is 3 out of 6 restaurants in my case. I am initiating a charge-back to the credit card company, as there are no other restaurants we would be able to use and even if there were, it would probably be an endless process of exchanging and exchanging as these restaurants are deciding to pull out of the program. I did not get what I purchased, the ability to use my certificate at the specific restaurants I chose.

• you are so stupid, you work for this people, you like free things too, thats why you are here. dummy

• St
                                  St.Joe,Mo.64501 Nov 02, 2010

Wheres the restaurants in the St.joseph, mo area mrs wise just curious Its a headache and a scam in the end not everyone wants a freeby but we sure cant pay the gas to drive all the way there and then get turned away cause the restaurant is not accepting

Restaurant.com — Restaurant.com is not a scam, it's the few small restaurant owners

restaurant.com is not a scam It's the few restaurant owners that give it a bad experience for a few...

Restaurant.comGift Certificates

HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE.

What a great deal. Give someone a Restaurant.com gift card so they can pick a restaurant and go out for dinner on you... EXCEPT, they will still have to pay to cover the minimum to be able to use the certificate. Advertised as a great gift with no fees and no shipping, but for your recipient to be able to enjoy what you are trying to give them, they have to spend their own money.

This is such a horrible scam, especially for people who are not used to using this site and will be very confused by all the limitations put on them for times and days of use, changing policies, certain products that are not covered and on and on. Even for my wife and I who have used the site, as recipients, we were astonished at the limitations and the fact that the gift given to us still required us to spend money. AND, we could not use the additional 8O% off that we had earned ourselves with the gift we were given, we could only use that on our own additional purchases from them.

If you plan on giving someone one of these as a gift, DON'T, or don't forget to send them the money you saved buying it, else you are forcing the person you give it to to spend their own money also.

Anyone wanting to give someone a meal for a gift is better off contacting the restaurant itself and buying a gift card or certificate directly and having it sent to the recipient. Then you will not be requiring them to spend their own money to enjoy your gift.

We may continue using this service for ourselves once in a while, but it is NOT a service for giving a gift to someone else.
                                Gifts are supposed to be easy and not cost the recipients. Restaurant.com gifts are just the opposite.

• Mi
                                    Michael Cervantes May 12, 2010

Do Not Buy this!
                                    Restaurants.com is rip-off! If you purchased the gift certificates, like my wife and I did, make sure you read the fine print. Basically you'll find that the participating restaurants make you purchase minimums (which didn't include the drinks) and, oh did I mention they tack on a mandatory 18% gratuity BEFORE the discount?
                                    I figured out I saved 4$, on a $70 meal-I had to purchase more food than I wanted. Buyer beware: save your money and don't fall for these phony discounts!