Readers Digeststolen money

L

We decided not renew our subscription to Readers Digest and told them so. Of course they ignored this request and charged our credit card $32.98. When we complained about this they returned $21.98 to the credit card keeping $10.99 we complained about this oversight they ignored us again. They haven't returned any emails or money.What right do these crooks have to steal from us? I know this isn't much money, but why should we give it away to a rich company for nothing? We sure don't owe them this money!

• Kr
    KrystalRD Nov 19, 2012

My name is Chelsea. I work for Reader’s Digest in Customer Care and I just came across your post.
    I am sorry that you were unable to find the contest. If you are using Google or another search engine, it is possible that you will not find it. When you have a web address (URL), all you need to do is type it into the address bar.
    I hope you will try again.
    Chelsea

• Li
    linmac16 Nov 16, 2012

I, as so many others who were sent a notice for a web site for readers digest contest are not able to locate site. Readers Digest has been known for it's many contests if they are all a scam such as this one, maybe we all need to decide if we really want to be a subscriber to this publication.

Johnsie P. Finney-Tate Jun 25, 2012

To whom it may concern: I didnot order the books you sent I have not open the package. I am not working and I don't have money to send these books back. Is there any way possible you can send me labels to send these books back to you?
    The account number is#[protected]

• Co
    cornelius g Jun 25, 2012

i was sent two free gifts and now you say i own $30.71 do you want the two free gifts back! they are still in there box!

joseph118 Jun 08, 2012

WAS YOUR CHECK ENCASHED?VERIFY IT OK...

• Da
    dawn reese May 17, 2012

I, too, saw on my internet site that I am being billed $39.00 for a gardening book that I, apparently, signed up for while entering a contest. There are no forms to fill out to refuse this before it is billed to me. I want to cancel it NOW. How do I go about canceling this as soon as possible? [email protected]

• Cl
    Cliff O'Handley Apr 21, 2012

We recieved a card informing us to enter a cotest with Readers d
    Digest to win one of 5, Nikon S6200 digital cameras, using the access code on the card, but we cannot find it using the website address supplied.

• He
    hector a giannetti Mar 26, 2012

IMy wife received a package from Readers Digest with a FREE word on it, no indications of any bill .We received the next week a bill saying we should pay $31.22 for what we recived, (The bill doesn not indicate for what item, just a bunch of letters and numbers)and that we should pay within two seeks.No number to be called.If we received any other letter from them, we will contact the better business bureau.

• Kh
    khydomako Jan 20, 2012

They sent a entry code to me to enter for a free ipod contest closes feb 29/12. . repeated trys at entering gets same result code is invalid . They supplied the code.Scam Scam, Scam

nosmokes Nov 12, 2011

I received a notice from Readers Digest saying I might of won a lottery and wanted all of yy personal information, Social Security number, D.O.B etc. This was mailed from Canada. I did not feel this was legitamate and was a ploy to get my personal information for illlegitamate reasons.

• Ri
    Richard Wagar Nov 05, 2011

I AGREE WITH ALL THE ABOVE! . WE HAVE TAKEN READER'S FOR 63 YEARS WITH SATISFACTION EXCEPT THE LAST THREE YEARS. WE ARE CONSTANTLY GETTING BILLINGS FOR UNORDERED SUBSCRIPTIONS, AND/OR MERCHANDISE(THAT TAKE SEVERAL PHONE CALLS TO CORRECT) SPECIAL OFFERS THAT DON'T COME THROUGH OR ARE UNABLE TO FIND ON COMPUTER SITES SENT (WWW.RD.COM/FREEBOOK EXAMPLE) OUR MAILING ADDRESS SHOWS WE ARE SUBSCRIBED TO MAY 14 AND YET WE GET BILLING NOTICES AND NOTICES OF BILLING FOR GIFT SUBSUBSCRIPTION THAT DO NOT GIVE NAME OF GIFT RECIPIENT!!! WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THIS ONCE NOTABLE MAGIZINE????WE ARE SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING CANCELLING OUR SUBSCRIPTION!!!

RICHARD WAGAR

Marshall Welch Oct 19, 2011

have received a card offering me a free book, your computer listings under the "www.rd.com/freebook" on the card cannot be located onthe computer listings. There are several other companies listing freebooks, but none under the claim info. Please send me a simple list of books available and directions to order the one free book you are promoting. Marshall Welch, Email is [email protected] or phone #[protected].

• De
    Debra Krokstom Sep 30, 2011

I have never ordered anything from Readers Digest. I received a box in August and didn't even open it. I marked it as REFUSED and sent it back unopened in August. Please review your records. I do not owe any money.

• Av
    averyjolee Sep 26, 2011

I too have received a bill for products NEVER ordered. The sight gives you NO phone number to contact and there is no answer to the letter you send with the complaint. This has to be a scam...Do not pay any bill from them unless you ordered the product.

• Co
    Colibiy Sep 16, 2011

Readers Digest has been calling several times per week for several months even though we have asked them to stop.

• Pa
    PatseChi Sep 06, 2011

as you were on their list you are now on everyones list - bet over the next 4 months you start recieving catalogues and books, calendars, credit card offers, small cheap crappy things like; spatulas, ladles, grill prongs, etc. - then come the bills and then the collection notices.

• Vi
    vietnam veteran Sep 06, 2011

We went through this process and the [protected] number provided above proved beneficial. We received the first book marked "Free" and relative to the laws, we knew we were not required to return it, so we did not. The second book was sent to us and we marked it "refused" on the outside, put it in the mailbox and several days later we received bill for $31.00. I called, explained the situation, that WE NEVER ORDERED ANYTHING!! and we were told that the bill was reduced to zero. If I receive any other bills, I will trash them. If they contact me again, I will notify the attorney generals office of my state and let them deal with Readers Digest! I will not purchase anything from them or any subscription. Vietnam Veteran

• Vi
    vietnam veteran Sep 06, 2011

received "free" book with gift, received another book, later came a bill. Never odered anything, spoke to a young lady at [protected] got it removed an hopefully no more books. Vietnam Veteran

• La
    lawline Aug 20, 2011

in the name of awarding 1 crore sweeptcake prizes how many money is accumulated by reader's digest

• Ke
    Kevin Richards 2 Aug 07, 2011

Tell them to ### off.

Janice Logan` Jul 22, 2011

Readers Digest keeps sending CD's that I have not orderd. I received a third one and I put a note in my last payment not to send me any more CD's but I have not received a third one and payment is due.

Janice Logan Acct: [protected]

• Bu
    buggsy49 Jul 22, 2011

they say I have an over due balance and I would like to see my account and if I believe it to be correct to pay it on line.

• Da
    dakota 1 Jul 07, 2011

This Company continuesly sends me bills for books, that i never received. I have been ignoring them but now they are threatening me about putting on my credit report.I want to know is there anything that can be done about this crazinest. Innocent peoplle shouldn't have to deal with such nonsense.They tell me if i pay by check i'm giving them permisssion to do a one time electronic transfer from my account.

• Mr
    Mr Michael C Vorpahl Jun 30, 2011

I received two bills now from Reader's Digest stating I owe $31.36 for two books they say I ordered which I did not! I returned both books (Vol 1 &2) Crossfire about 2 months ago and have not recieved any confirmation that they recieved the returned books. I also included a letter telling them I did not order these books and to cancel any further deliveries. Thus far all I have received is two billing statements. My account number is [protected]. I do not intent to pay for something I did not order to begin with and I have returned both books. Your prompt assistance is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Michael C. Vorpahl

Marilyn Yeast Jun 28, 2011

Never ordered anything from them. They sent a mind stretchers via mail to my address. I thought it was free. No biil with book. They said they mailed me a bill which I never got. Then today, I received a bill of 26.47 which they claimed overdue, and if it wasn't paid by July12 it would be sent to the credit bureau. What can I do to correct this problem?

• St
    Steve jarred Jun 08, 2011

I have just got a bill for books that I never ordered here is a account
    Number on the bill # [protected]
    Please take me off your billing system and do not send me any more
    Books or bills . Please call me our give me your phone number
    Steve jarred

• Nu
    Nuffrone Jun 03, 2011

Readers digest keeps sending me condensed books which i never ordered.I have tried to cancel them but they keep sending them and continue to bill me.I sent them a letter with the last bill telling them if they send me any more ill throw them in the trash and refuse to pay.

Mansukhlal D.Vyas May 28, 2011

I have received a card for bonus eligibility along with my June RD megazine. I am given an excess code. I tried to open the relevant activating nunumber but no where I suceeded in geting guidance where do I need to enter the access code.Many subscriber are having number of complaints.Why it is not straight forward rather then complicating it?My e, mail address is [email protected], ca and RD megazine subscriberb since more then forty years.

• De
    devils_sidekick May 06, 2011

Reader's Digest has called me over 20 times this past month each time I or another family member has asked them to stop.

• Gw
    GWAinCalif May 05, 2011

I received a phone call in April, 2010. I have a subscription to Forbes Magazine. They indicated that the subscription was about to run out. Also that if order was not palced now the cost would go up. So I renewed for 3 years for about 210.00 $.
    Later checked forbes and the label idicated that the subscription was good untill August, 2012.
    Now a year later the Forbes that I get still indicates that the subscription is good to August, 2012. The payment to U S Readers has never been applied to the subscription base.
    GWA in California

Ann Purmort Apr 25, 2011

I want to pay my bill from readers digest. I owe 26.69 for a puzzle book that I never ordered. I used the book already, I thought it was a free gift, because thats what it said on the front of the box. So, can I pay this on line or call the payment in? Ann Piurmort

• Ra
    Rawwning Mar 02, 2011

I was billed $26.90 for my free gift, a book of puzzles titled “Mind Benders”. I paid the bill and sent a request to cancel my account. The book is is actually worth about $6.95 on a news stand. Reader’s Digest is one big crummy company and first-class rip-off.

RDC Customer Care Feb 28, 2011

My name is Sylvie. I work for Reader’s Digest in Customer Care and I just came across your post.

I am sorry if an order was processed for you in error. It is not Reader’s Digest’s policy or intention to enter an order without a customer's authorization. An order can be generated by the inadvertent placement of a seal on a document, or the return of promotional material in a particular envelope.

I invite you to call us directly at [protected] or to email us at [email protected] One of our agents will be most happy to review your account and make any necessary adjustment.

RDC Customer Care Feb 28, 2011

My name is Sylvie. I work for Reader's Digest in Customer Care and I just came across your post.

If you are trying to find the link through a search engine (Google, Yahoo, etc.), it is possible that you will not be able to access the website to enter the contest.

To access the URL provided on the card you received, you must type it in the address bar of your web browser.

You may also click "File" then "Open" in your web browser (for example, Internet Explorer) and type the address in the space provided. Be sure to type the address in lower case as upper case may not work.

If you have any questions, you can email us at [email protected] or you can call us at [protected].

I hope this will be of help to you and I wish you the best of luck.

Reader's Digest Canada

• Ka
    Kathy Borthwick Jan 24, 2011

I rec'd a card in my Reader's Digest for a chance to win a Nokia Coolpix and they gave the website: readersdigest.ca/nikon with an acess #. I cannot find anything at that website except for a cash contest and MANY advertisements for Nikon Cameras

• Ro
    Robert Shanken Jan 14, 2011

I am receiving late notices for merchandise I did not order and do not want. Once a month I am receiving a cardboard box with a book and a trinket enclosed. I would like readers digest to stop sending, stop billing, because I am not paying!!!

RDC Customer Care Jan 13, 2011

Dear Ms. Claycomb,

I am sorry that you continued to receive a bill after sending in your payment. Since you included your address with this post, we were able to locate a second account and it is for this account that you were being billed. The necessary adjustment has now been made and a colleague of mine who works for the US office of Reader’s Digest is sending you an email to explain what happened and how the situation has been resolved.

For future reference, if you need to contact Reader’s Digest, please email us directly at [email protected] or you can call us at [protected]. One of our agents will be most happy to be of service.

Thank you for your interest in Reader’s Digest.

RDC Customer Care Jan 13, 2011

Dear Ms. Hladky,

I am sorry that you received something you did not mean to order. Since you included your address with this post, we were able to make the necessary adjustment to your account. You will be receiving a letter in the mail to confirm these actions.

For future reference, if you need to contact Reader’s Digest, I would suggest that you email us directly at [email protected] or that you call us at [protected]. One of our agents will be most happy to be of service.

• Ol
    OLA ZENO Jan 04, 2011

I KEEP GETTING BILLED FOR ITEMS I DID NOT ORDER.HAVE NO IDEA WHAT VOLS 5-10 THE CHRISTMAS LIST IS. PLEASE TAKE ME OF YOUR MAILING LIST.

• Do
    DONNA J HLADKY Dec 06, 2010

I recieved a Mind Stretcers book in the mail. I did not order this and I do not want any more books. If I receive another one I will refuse it and have it returned
    Please remove my name from your mailing list.

Donna Hladky