Menu
Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands
reviews & complaints

Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

100 complaints
48 resolved 52 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
6:48 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

yep ah receipt that one millon dollar check giveaway too. whata hoot, A envelope from canada, from a auto sales business and bank in wetumpka, al. tha dont excist. pretti funny huh. soes i go on the net and end on this complaints board. and read what all you good peoples write. an now ah feels better. but what what bothers me is as i look at this web sight...

3:53 am EST

Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands - non-receipt of regular copy of reader digest

Sir, this is in reference to your letter dated 27.09.2009. My subscription No. is RD09000112876 and customer ID No. LMI606100. I have only received till date two issues i.e. for Sept, 2009 and Oct., 2009. Please check my subscription date and send the previous issues, if any and also ensure proper supply of further issues till the subscription ends.

Dr S D Kashyap
e.mail. [email protected]
Mobile 09418751661

B
7:45 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am SOOOO grateful that I trusted my instincts and decided to check to see if this was a scam. Bless all of you out there that wanted to make sure that you were protecting other innocent, law abiding citizens who wanted to believe in a miracle that was a fraud!!! I just recieved a Reader's Digest sweepstakes winner letter today (10-05-09) and my family i...

2:03 am EDT

Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands - readers digest scam

I received a letter from readers digest, and the letter stated i won Rs 100, 000 in the lottery. They wanted me to pay for government tax and the amount was for Rs 10, 000. They want you to deposit the amount in their account and then they will send you a certified check for the Rs 1, 00, 000.

I didnt fall into thier scam i did some surfing and contacted readers digest and they confirmed it was a scam. so if any one get a letter like this all the info you need to make sure its not a scam you can find online and both readers digest and publishers clearing house are happy to help any way they can.

U
Nov 06, 2009 10:32 pm EST

Generally readers digest is a big fraud by itself. I ve been watching them almost for 30 years now and i know how they operate to extract money from people. Its the most disgusting way of doing business.

3:16 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I received a PAST DUE BILL Dated September 1, 2009. The letter states that they sent me a bill for VOL 4-09 SILKS that I ordered which was shipped on 07/09 which I know for a fact I have no clue what this is. I do not order from RDigest. They say that the payment is due Sep. 22, 2009. I have searched for a customer service number on the bill and to no...

V
7:50 pm EDT

Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands - web contest for ipod touch

i received a card in my last magazine to enter a contest to win a free ipod. when i tried to find the site it did not exist. i have been a subscriber for over 10 years and it upsets me to think that this is not a authentic contest.
if the company is not going to honor this contest they should say so when you enter their site. they try to get you to subscribe to their magazine several time on the site, but no mention of the non existance of their contest site.

L
Aug 30, 2009 11:56 am EDT

I received this rd.ca/ipodtouch black card with the access code 94735 from Reader's Digest. I'm very dissatisfied with for running this scam.
If I can't trust what Reader's Digest sends me, I will terminate my subscription.

O
5:24 pm EDT

Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands - Unusual problem

I have a very unusual problem, usually it happened that you order for the magazine and pay for it but never receive the magazine, here the things are different I have never ordered for this magazine the so called Readers Digest, but every month without fail I receive one and I send it back and have even emailed on their address that I don't want the magazine but still every month the magazine is back. I am a very upset with this. I have been receiving the Reader's Digest and I did not order or pay for a subscription. At 82 years old with very little income, I am not in the position to pay for the magazine which I never wanted and over all due to my age I have a big problem with my eye sight. It's a humble request to this company to take me off your mailing list.

F
Aug 23, 2009 12:37 pm EDT

J
4:19 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I received a card in the latest Reader's Digest magazine. inviting me to enter to win an "ipod". I was told to go to "re.ca/ipodtouch" where I was to type in the access code to register for the draw for a chance to win one of five "ipod touches 32GB" and draw closes Sept 30, 2009. I could not fine any place to type my access code. Why not? Peter (I wasted a lot of time trying to find it)

J
4:10 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Black Card enclosed with September 2009 issue of the Reader's Digest says"Go online to rd.ca/ipodtouch and type in access code {94735] to register for a draw fo i of 5 ipod touches 32GB! HURRY ENTER NOW " entry does noe work and web sight seem to be a sham.

W
12:32 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I had received a lottery check that was claiming I won $152, 000.00 in a cash credited to a file reference number k756-38-09rd. They sent a notice to me because they don't deal with the public and sent me a check from a licensed bonded insurance company for the amount of $2, 921.91 which was part of my winnings to pay insurance and processing charges on my...

Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands - unsolicited books

This company is truly appalling.
Notwithstanding an order issued against them by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission in 2003/5 and an undertaking that they would not make payment demands for unsolicited goods...they are again up to their old tricks
My 85 year old mother ( recently deceased) has payment demands for a plethora of unsolicited items including childrens books.
The excuse no doubt this time is the same as the last ...a breakdown in their 'systems' as they argued before the tribunal

5:52 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

i was all for it... i ge a check in th mail, $4275.00 all i had to do was call the man, jerry smith ph 1-778-858-1278, which i did and deposit it. after this was done i withdrew the money and was instructed to send it via money gram. so i did, i figured it couldnt hurt, it was their money in the first place. i did this yesterday. my mother-in-law, who i get...

5:11 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I receive a lettler from readers degest lotto drew held on february 3rd 2009 they said i have won 194, 000.00. and receive a check os $3, 642.40 to pay tax and insuraces fee well please dont belive this letters a not true. I call Jasmes Owen At 1778-858-6473 to active my claim then he told me to deposit the check and to call him in 2 days. So i go deposit...

P
3:45 pm EDT

Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands - Scam letters

i have been sent a letter informing me of a place of winning a quarter of a million pounds among millions in the UK- which i personally think is bizarre. so the reader's digest people tell me that many others have also been lucky enough to win the large amounts of money.

is this too good to be true! in addition they have given a 72 hour
limit for entrees. i mean why would they possibly give 250'000 away for non-customers. we are not even loyal customers- we hav not even spent a penny on a reader's digest.. so why! is this a scam?

they also have a picture of a woman named helen and many others claiming they have won! yeah surely there is some catch!

HELP! in addition there isn't a fixed name from the person, all we are told is

your sincerely

a mysterious squiggle which looks like jeremy jacob but can possibly be any other!

and then ends with Finance director...

Jul 20, 2009 9:44 pm EDT

I also received the same letter. The check seems to be legit but I've heard about people cashing checks from an unknown person and once you've deposited the check then the person who sent the check in the first place has all your bank account info. i'm very curious to see if this is for real or not... I think I will be contacting Reader's Digest to find out what's really going on

Jul 20, 2009 12:43 pm EDT

Yes I recived a letter with a cashier's check from bank USBANK for 4275.00 from a reader's digest sweepstakes the letter was from a company called. GWI -Greenwood International a Law firm serving global clients, 31st floor commokity exchange tower 360 Main strrt Winnipeg, Nanitoba, Canada r3c 4g1. Ph# [protected] The Attorney's name is Jerry Smith PH# is [protected]. And he sent his photo and signature. I would like to know if this check is for real or a scam by readers digest I can not afford to be taken by any company that says I Won money. If this is lagit I would like conformation from READER'S DIGEST CONFIRMING THIS MY EMAIL IS [email protected] Please investigate and get back to me ASAP Thank you

N
3:59 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands - sweepstakes

i recieved a check in mail from PCH readers digest . says i wont 255, 000.00 and in this letter was an actual check for 4800.00 for costs ..
i am not sure if ths is real. i had to call the phone number there.. i told gentleman i will contact BBB to make sure this is legit. he says it wont be on that site. he wanted me to deposit this check, the letter is from georgia, the check is from canada..
i do know you guys have sweepstakes, i am trying to figure out if this is real or not.. how can i tell?
natalie

Jun 18, 2009 5:10 am EDT

I say go cash it & let us know the results. Nothin' suspicious about winning a sweepstakes you didn't enter.

Jun 17, 2009 2:55 pm EDT

As we say in Canada, "Jeez Buddy", "What's wrong with you?"

Take it to your bank and deposit the cheque (that's how we spell 'check' here). If it is not a real cheque/check your bank will let you know.

yours

Practical Guy

11:15 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands - www.besthealthmag.ca/wii

My name is Sylvie Robert and I work for Reader's Digest Canada Customer Care.

If you are trying to get to this URL - www.besthealthmag.ca/wii - to enter the contest, please don't use Google, Yahoo or any other search engine.

Just type the address in the address bar at the top of your web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.). This will take you straight to the page and you will be able to enter.

Good luck !

Sylvie Robert
[email protected]

Update by Sylvie Robert
Jun 25, 2009 1:40 pm EDT

Try cliquing on "File" then on "Open".
Type in the URL (www.besthealthmag.ca/wii) in the box.
Click on OK.

If that doesn't work, I would suggest that you try with a different web browser.

The site is up and the contest ends August 31, 2009.

Sylvie
for Reader's Digest Canada

3 comments
Mar 09, 2010 10:21 am EST

Allo...I'm Dianne...I'm receiving your books besthealtmag...trying to put in my Access Code;;27639...its not working...could you help to put it in...thanks a million...bye bye Dianne..Bellemare...New-Liskeard Ont..

V
Jun 24, 2009 10:20 am EDT

i tried that and it still didn't work!

Y
Jun 10, 2009 12:15 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I like shop at Kmart...just hire more associates for asisting customers at the floor.

5:20 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I received a mail from the following. Readers digest Regional office 1102 16th avenue, seattle was 98401 usa. From : the desk of managing director of prize award department without prejudice: This is to inform you of the release of readers digest sweep stake draw held on feb 14 2009. Among the free participating finalist playing 6000 full tickets in...

2:48 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Received a letter from Pepsi Co., co sponsorship with Readers Digest located in Plano Texas stating my wife has won the grand prize of one million dollars. Inside is a check for $5400.00 to cover any outstanding fees that have not been paid by Pepsi Co. directly. Before she is to cash this check, she is supposed to contact a Mr. Ron Pittsfield, a...

10:13 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

As many people stated, I am a preferred subscriber that received a card inside the Readers Digest magazine. I tried to log on per the instructions on the card, but to no avail. Nothing! Readers Digest has been, in the past, one of the most subscribed and reputive magazine, so for this scam to be associated with this magazine, astounds me. I cannot believe...

K
12:27 pm EDT

Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands - Misleading Advertising

I ordered a Canadian Music/Artists CD last year from a card that was enclosed with our RD subscription. The price indicated was $28.00 and change on the card plus shipping and handling. There were a few good songs on it and I remember the $28 standing out clearly in my mind because I have ordered maybe 3 things in my life from a mail-in. I do all remote purchasing on line where you can see the shipping, pricing, and have a contract and buyer protection (it was around the time I was spending postage stamps like pennies on the RD sweepstakes contests that I finally got sick of trying to keep up with).

I received the CD which had the expected music, feeling it was a bit pricey for what was offered, but since I'd ordered it knowing that, I'd pay for it. Then I saw the invoice was for over $88.00!

That was a LONG way from $28 and change! Gosh I wish I had the card - there wasn't any asterisk by the price or fine print apparent saying it would be 3 payments of $28 plus shipping. It was false advertising if my memory serves me right.

I wouldn't care HOW good the music was, no CD is worth $88 to me...

So now the collection calls have begun. I told them keep calling.

L
Nov 17, 2009 1:39 pm EST

Information included in the monthly subscription indicating the existence of a website where we are directed to go and enter a special access code provided to enter for a chance to win a specific prize does not exist. The most current example is the prize to be drawn for Nov.30/09 for a Wii sports deluxe package at the www.rd.ca/wiisports . There is no such site and this is not the first time this has happened.

R
Aug 26, 2009 9:30 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Readers Digest marketing practices are very much misleading. My wife got a letter, saying that she had won thousands of dollars. She just needed to reply to the mail in.

Thinking that Readers Digest Canada as a very old and reputable company, she mailed in thinking that she has won.

They kept sending a ``free copy of their magazines``every month ...

We were surprised to find out later that they wanted my wife to pay for the magazines. We have ignored they invoices.

This is a very dishonest marketing practice and we intend to contact BBB and report the situation.

Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands contacts