RaintreeSpecial assessment

C

This is to update the latest information on the Class Action lawsuit for California residents that were members of Raintree Vacation Club, and were charged the Special Assessment fees in 2009.
The case was approved for Class Action Status on August 15th, 2011, and a hearing is scheduled for Feb 2012 for the next step in the case. I also just spoke with an Attorney with the law firm representing the group, (Friday, September 16th, 4pm), and was told they are currently in settlement talks, and will be posting updates at their website when they can discuss the results. (As of today, the information is still under confidentiality rules.)
Here is the website : www.girardgibbs.com.

• Da
    David From MA Dec 15, 2011

This Class Action Law suit is only California Residence. I live in MA an it appear that we should put together a Suit that includes all US members. Any thoughts?

John W Oct 21, 2011

I had to admit my mistake for buying this timeshare deal, lick my wounds, and assume my loss (i.e approx $13000 in initial costs and maintenance fees) as a 100% write-off. If the attorney's are successful in just nullifying Raintrees Collection attempts and removing their ability to continue financing their Ponzi scheme (i.e. putting them out of business), I will be happy. I have just received and responded to their collection agencys first letter in September stating that I have no intention of paying either the Maintenance fee or Special Assessment fees (After not paying either since Jan 2009). Odd however, is the fact that they seem to be only attempting to collect on the unpaid Maintenance Fees - the Special Assessment fee seems to have been left out. I responded to the Collection Agency (i.e. Concord Collections) stating that I am not paying past Maintenance Fees since I am not being allowed use of the Property, due to not paying a Special Assessment fee, which is a breach of contract.

It must be remembered that any paid Maintenance Fees & Special Assessment Fees will be used to pay their attorneys to fight those who dont pay, not for actual maintenance costs of the property. The financial impacts of any settlements will also be recuperated by future Assessment / Maintenance fee increases in existing and new members, while they withhold right to use and threat of credit ruin over their heads.

• Dl
    dlndavid Aug 02, 2010

This board I just found by doing a search on "Club Regina Special Assessment" I'm furious, more than that broke. I can hardly afford the regular maintenence fee, let alone this special assessment!

• Dl
    dlndavid Aug 02, 2010

I'm with you J. I bought in for $40K, now they want to nickel and dime me. How South of the Border.

• Jk
    Jkirk Jun 02, 2010

I would first like to continue to encourage everyone and I mean everyone who has any part of Rain Tree to pull together and DO NOT PAY THIS SPECIAL ASSESSEMENT FEE, they have and are trying to pull off one of the biggest scams they can to bale themselves out of there finicinal woes. I would also encourage everyone to put in writing that they have NO INTENSION OF PAYING THIS FEE, but as was stated earlier that since you are stopping me from using what I believed and thought I was buying then I will not be sending you my yearly Maintence fee's instead they will be held in an escrow account by me. I have requested in writing that they(Raintree) send me a copy of my orginal contract (dated 3/30/2001) this was done on Feburary 2, 2010, I have continued to follow up on this on a monthly bases not only in writing but also through telephone conversations by the way try and get to there legal department Ha. Today is now June 2, 2010 and do you think I have received this after 4 months NO. So does this help you understand what kind of company we are dealing with. For the Past 2 years I have tried to make reservations for the coastal area through RCI and they to are as big as joke or rip off as Raintree (one and part of the same), I have ended up making my own reservations (where, when and how long I want to stay on my own). For those people that have paid there special assessment fee I feel sorry for you because now you have entered into an agreement that gives them the right to charge you again in the future. I know for the Special Assement fees, the maintence fees and all the other costs involved at Club Regina, I have found a complete package including air fare for myself and my family(6) in Los Cabos for $ 400.00 more then just the fees were and are goiong to cost me (if I were to pay the special assement fees which I have no intention of doing). Even if they were to come back (as they did in June of 2009) and remove the Assessment Fee they have sent a clear message as to what kind of orgination and crooks they really are and I will not nor do not want any part of this kind of scam and disception. We have and did all purchase these time shares in good faith and now they want to hold us all hostages by not allowing usage of what we purchased. Yet you have to ask yourself this question, if none of us are able to use these they have now put a bigger finincial burden out there since we will not be eating in there resturants, using there services and all the additional things they rely while we are vacationing at our time shares, so now they have really created a monster that theyhave no way of stopping. As I said earlier I STRONLY ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO SEND THIS SAME MESSAGE TO RAINTREE, even though the damage is done maybe people thinking about becoming apart of there time share will hear about it by word of mouth but also through the media, legal action, or any means possible so that they to do not become victims of scams like this. As a final note I have also filled a complaint with the FTC who monitors complaints (here is there web site ftccomplaintassistant.gov/FTC or you can contact them @ (877) FTC HELP) I would encourage everyone to follow through with this since the more complaints they receive the closer it will and does come to an investagaiton, this only takes a few minutes and hopefully it will and can benifit everyone involved, finally I put in writing to Raintree that I have no intention of paying not only my Special Assessment Fee's but at this time I will no longer be paying my Maintence fees (I have visited with my local credit bearua and shared with them the situation and they informed me that you do have the legal right to contest it if and when it might ever show up, they felt like because of all the complaints that there would never be any action taken but would just go away, now I am not telling anyone that this will for sure happen but what I am saying is I am willing to take the chance and get out while still can, it like the stock market I can't change yesterdays loses but I can try and safe guard what I have in the future) Please each and everyone who takes the time to read these complaints DON'T JUST READ THEM "TAKE ACTION" THIS IS THE ONLY WAY WE CAN EVER CHANGE SOMETHING.

Jkirk

• Pe
    pennyndoug Aug 25, 2009

We are also another Club Regina - bought into Grand Regina for bookoo bucks and now getting ripped off. How can we get on board with this legal suit!!!

Doug & Penny Carey

• Bo
    Bodie Jul 02, 2009

RVC may claim to be making all this money, but they are not a public company so we'll never know. If they were that flush, we wouldn't be receiving this emergency assessment. Having paid off my note years ago - and dutifully sending in my maintenance fees - only to see Club Regina Cancun fall further and further into disrepair, I've chosen to walk away. Under 4.4 of the rules and regs, it simply says that non payment of the fees for two years will result in the investment being taken back. They're threatening collections but I really don't care. I serviced the original agreement as per terms.

• Mr
    MrD Jun 30, 2009

Below is an email that a member sent around to other members. It pretty much sums up why RVC is charging this SA: They are in dire straights, with no money and are on the hook for $25M for another failed fiasco:

"Haven't talked to you in a while...2006 to be exact. That was the year we made the fatal decision to trade our Club Regina for Grand Regina Villas, another RVC ripoff. Turns out, Raintree never built the Villas, sold the project to Starwood, who never did anything either. There is now a group of 154 Villas owners that have put up money and retained an attorney to fight/sue Raintree & Starwood in an attempt to get our money back.

I noticed your name floating around some of the emails from disgruntled Club Regina owners over the "special assessment". I'm sure I'd be furious over something like that, too. To put it mildly, Doug Bech is pretty much of a slime-ball. I'm one of a 6-member owners committee that met with our attorney, Doug Bech and his attorney and Starwood attorneys in Chicago a couple of weeks ago. We spent most of the time listening to "we just don't have the money to return everything". By his own admission, RVC had sold around $25M worth of weeks, yet didn't put the money into an escrow fund pending construction. Supposedly, he only has around $5M to return. They made one offer after the meeting, but it was piss-poor. Supposedly, another offer will be sent on Monday. If it's not, or if it's not any better, a lawsuit will be filed in federal court on Wed.

I had a thought that maybe this special assessment was an attempt to raise money to pay us back, then figure out how to deal with all of the irate Club Regina owners. Do you have a copy of the special assessment letter you could email or fax me? I think we might be able to use it as ammunition in the lawsuit. Oh, did you know that Doug spent $4.5M buying another resort in Puerta Vallarta right across the street from Club Regina, I believe it was last Sept. We figure he used some of our money to buy that. All I know is that we have a bunch of owners in our legal group that want to see him in jail, and he knows it.

I've been getting copied on emails from your group. All I can say is, good luck! You'll need it. Might as well get ready for a fight. We've pretty much figured out that he uses maintenance fee income to buy more properties, instead of using it for maintenance of the existing ones. They probably all do to some extent."

• Rb
    rbarre Jun 28, 2009

I contacted the Atty Gen in TX twice and have not even received the courtesy of an email form letter response. The people in TX are great and courteous, apparently when it gets to Gov't it sours.

• Ji
    Jim S. Jun 26, 2009

We have compiled a list in excess of 100 members that are communicating and strategizing with a goal of contacting the attorney general in multiple states, especially Texas and AG Andrew Cuomo in New York. If you want to be a part of the combined effort, please send your email address to [email protected]

The longest and most thorough thread of complaints and comments is at Raintree — Trying to charge a &Special Assessment&. The title of this complaint is “Trying to charge a ‘Special Assessment.’"

For the convenience of the authorities who might want to read members postings and for future reference, it seems it would be best to accumulate all comments under the above thread. There are already 13 pages on the thread.

Thank you.

• Vi
    viola Jun 17, 2009

We are gathering email addresses from everybody to do things as a larger group . We don't want to be complained of just " blogging ". When you write to this ComplainsBoard again, please leave us your email address for better communications .
    So far we have collected a master list already .
    Hurry up and send yours in .
    or

jodi Jun 16, 2009

We too received the infamous special assessment. I have emailed Raintree and received a response indicating that it is their "fiduciary duty" to maintain the properties for their members, hence the need for the special assessment. HA! I have filed a complaint with the Houston BBB and sent an email to Doug Bech at FrontierOil. Haven't contacted the Texas Attorney General office, but that is next on my list! Anything else we can be doing?
    Frustrated in Kansas