Raintree Vacation Club [RVC] Logo

Raintree Vacation Club [RVC]

Having problems with Raintree Vacation Club [RVC]?

1800 424 6532 (Members, USA and Canada)
1800 994 2193 (Non-Members, USA and Canada)
+1 317 805 9167 (Members, Local)
+1 901 312 6945 (Non-Members, Local)
10000 Memorial Drive, Suite 480
Houston, Texas

Complaints & Reviews

RaintreeRaintree

Just wanted to post the lastest corspondence with Raintree regarding the special assessment and various other questions regarding there pactices. This is the most information I have been able to receive from anyone at raintree, I still am going to hold firm in my decission to not pay there special assessment fee and if that means I have no further use of my time share then I also will quite paying my maintenance fees which means for the next 2 years they will loose that income also. I really do not want to be a part of this orgination anymore and so even if they were to change things I could never trust them again. I just see that they will continue to keep raiseing our Maintenace fees and anyother fess they can to offset there poor management of not only the company but most importantly our monies we have all spent with them. I would encourage anyone with questions and wants a real answer to contact this Daniel Keeney via his email, because he does at least respond and get back to you in a timely manor. As you can and will see by my questions below I have alot of concerns and issues with Raintree, I think if enough people hold firm to not paying this special assessment and then there maintenance fees they will either be forced to go into bankruptcy or sell to someone who will truly manage the place properly and have there members best intrest at heart. I feel that they truly on the brink of looseing it and what ever any adds to it will be lost. Dainel does a good job of addressing and skating the true issues at hand.

From: Daniel Keeney, APR [[protected]@keeneypr.com]

Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 5:11 PM

To: 'World Wide Abrasives'

John:

The decision was made to call this a “special assessment” because it is a temporary (and not a permanent) increase in your annual membership fee (described in the Multi-Resort Regulations which are part of your purchase agreement). You will find reference to your annual membership fee in your contract. You won’t find reference to the term “special assessment.”

If you review the original notice of the special assessment (http://www.raintreelistens.com/en/art/53/) dated 10/30/09, you will see in paragraph three that it states, “…we are issuing a temporary increase in your annual member fee. We refer to this increase as a special assessment because this will not be a permanent annual increase.”

I can arrange to order a copy of your contract documents – I believe there is a fee for ordering a copy, since Raintree does not manage those documents in-house. Have you called Member Services (800.424.6532) to order a copy of your contract? They should be able to help you with that.

Regarding Member attrition – my understanding is that the organization typically experiences a small attrition rate of approximately 3% in Membership each year. After two years of non-payment, Memberships are reclaimed and resold and all past-due maintenance fees and annual member fees are recouped for the Club to ensure there is no negative impact on Members. If you are wondering about the impact of the special assessment on attrition, we will not know that for another couple years, since contracts allow Members to be delinquent for two years prior to Memberships being reclaimed. Additionally, a large portion of the Membership took advantage of the 12-month flexible payment option.

The Member surveys are typically reported to Members later in the year – the organization gathers the information in one report, although the data is gathered throughout the year. My understanding (I have not seen the data) is that the feedback has not been substantially different from past years. That is not to suggest that we are deaf to the negative feedback we have received about the special assessment and other matters, but it has been expressed by a relatively small percentage of Members. At least that’s my understanding.

Regarding votes of Members, you might benefit from reviewing http://www.raintreelistens.com/structure, which explains the structure of Raintree Vacation Club and its parent company. The Club in which you purchased a Membership is a private company. To be blunt, Raintree Vacation Club is not a democracy and is not operated by Member votes. It is a private enterprise. Now, for the past several years, it has not been a particularly successful private enterprise, writing off approximately $10 million and, in the process, waiving management fees. The Club has a duty to do what’s necessary to keep the standards of the resort properties at the level expected by Members. With aging properties, that can be a challenge, and that’s the situation – annual fees have not kept pace with the need for capital repairs and renovations, which caused a backlog of needs that went unfunded.

Regarding increases in maintenance fees, contracts allow for increases of 10% PLUS the rate of inflation. The calculation for figuring the compound annual growth rate is: (820/465) (1/9) - 1. If you’re like me, you don’t have a fancy calculator to do that, but I found on online at http://www.calculator.com/calcs/calc_sci.html. It comes out to an annual growth rate of 6.5%. You are right that it is more than inflation, but it was not enough to keep up with the increasing costs of upgrading the aging resort properties.

Your final question is a judgment call, I guess. We have a large percentage of Members who have paid and a small percentage who have not. The organization has always had a policy that prohibits Members who are delinquent to enjoy the benefit of the Membership if they have not kept their payments current. That is only fair to the Members who HAVE paid their fees. This is not new – it is in the contract that if fees are not paid you can’t use your Membership. Knowing that the special assessment was difficult for some, the organization delayed enforcing this rule for four months from February 25th until July 1st. The easiest way to avoid this is to sign up for the flexible payment option, which is still available. It allows you to stretch payments over 12 months at no interest.

From: World Wide Abrasives [mailto:[protected]@lewiston.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 5:05 PM
To: 'Daniel Keeney, APR'

Daniel,

Once again thank you for your response, I think this the most and quickest responses I have received since I have been trying to get information from Raintree. I have been trying and have requested a copy of my contract dated 3/30/2001 and with this request ask to specially show me in my contract where it states the special assessment fee, I have asked for this over the last 2 months and still have yet to see it so maybe you will be able to assist me in getting this. I also would be curious to know and would like to receive a Customer Satisfaction Index/ Questioner in regards to how satisfied Raintree customers are currently, also what percentage of membership you have lost over the past 1-2 years not only do to the economy but all circumstances surrounding them either leaving or just plan quieting, In my earlier comment on line I have and had no intention of offending anyone but have felt like that we(customers/members) have had no vote or discussion in this matter and based on today’s economy this cannot just be shoved down people’s throats without any discussion, now if you can show me where and when this was discussed and minutes from a meeting with the members involved in it I would truly welcome that information. I have also tried to understand what you are calling up grading to some of this should of been covered under the normal and yearly maintenance fee’s (which I am sure you are aware of has gone up from $ 465.00 to $ 820.00 which is a 76.5 % increase over 9 years or 8.5 % which far exceeds inflation or cost of living increases). One final question to you is does Raintree honestly feel by locking people out of using their membership in Raintree for not paying this special assessment that this is going to be to your advantage, since I like many others not only spend money getting to these resorts but also spend allot of money while I am there in many of the resorts facilities and related services you are affiliated with so does this not mean even bigger looses in the future? I look forward to hearing back from you and addressing these issues I mentioned. Again thank you for your response, this truly is the most information I have received to date.

John Kirkpatrick

From: Daniel Keeney, APR [mailto:[protected]@keeneypr.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 1:15 PM
To: 'World Wide Abrasives'

John:

Thanks for the note. We only have a couple rules for posting comments, but one is that we can’t allow comments that accuse the organization or individuals of wrongdoing – as doing so could have legal consequences. As you can see, we do post comments that criticize the organization as long as they don’t allege wrongdoing or threaten legal action. Out of thousands of comments submitted, we have not posted fewer than a couple dozen.

We keep Raintree leadership appraised of what’s being communicated on the various online boards. We don’t minimize the interest and passion of the people who have posted complaints online, but we also consider that less than 1% of Raintree Vacation Club’s 38, 000 Members have expressed concerns about the special assessment or other matters. Member surveys continue to show that Members give high marks to their vacation experiences, which is where the rubber meets the road.

That said, the organization’s leadership has acknowledged that it has made a number of missteps in the past and they are committed to improving aspects of Member communications and Member involvement in decisions. Nonetheless, we understand that some Members remain unhappy and we are working to help the organization re-earn your trust. Thanks again for expressing your thoughts and I will be sure they get to the organization’s leadership.

From: World Wide Abrasives [mailto:[protected]@lewiston.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 2:45 PM
To: 'Daniel Keeney, APR'
Subject: RE: Raintree Resorts

I figured as much, I appreciate your response, but I would also encourage you to pass along to them to go out to Complaints blog sight and see how angry and upset people are with Raintree, I know they truly are not listening or they would open there comment sight open to hear true feedback but since they don’t they will just have to find out by loosing clients or customers. But again thanks and if you would also pass this one along I would respect you for it, no one really seems to care within the origination so you really cannot get to anyone who cares or can make a difference.

John Kirkpatrick

From: Daniel Keeney, APR [mailto:[protected]@keeneypr.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 12:07 PM
To: [protected]@lewiston.com

Hi, John:

I help Raintree with the Raintree Listens website and wanted to thank you for expressing your thoughts. I will pass them along to the organization’s leadership, but I also wanted you to know that for legal reasons, we can’t post allegations of wrongdoing on the forums – so I can’t approve your comment as submitted.

From: KIRKPATRICK, JOHN [mailto:[protected]@schipul.net]
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 1:35 PM
To: [protected]@keeneypr.com
Subject: Raintree Resorts - New Comment for the CMS Module: Special Assessment Forum / Cuota Especial Foro

New Comment Posting for Raintree Resorts on http://www.raintreelistens.com/Special-Assessment-Forum-Cuota-Especial-Foro/index.asp#1380

Submitted by: JOHN KIRKPATRICK ([protected]@lewiston.com)

User Comments:
What a great way of spending money which should of already been taken care of by our maintenance fees. To me this is nothing short of a scam and you have got so many angry clients that if we could get out of these we would. I am sure that if you check with the FTC, BBB and look at all the compliant blogs out there you will soon find out how upset people really are with you and your origination.

Comment is Currently Pending Approval

Click here to Approve Comment.
View a list of all Comments Pending Approval for this item.

Webmaster
[protected]@raintreeclub.com
Raintree Resorts6/2/2010 1:35:11 PM

Tendenci® Membership Management Software
Schipul Web Marketing

Raintree Resorts - 10000 Memorial Drive, Suite 480 Houston, TX 77024 (policy)

• Ms
      mschmitz Jun 28, 2010

At the Cancun resort (Club Regina), Raintree always puts the RCI guests in the VERY best beach front rooms, so they can sell them timeshares. As for this 17 year member, they ALWAYS put me in the back of the hotel, near the highway.

• Dl
      dlndavid Aug 02, 2010

So the bottom line...do we have to pay this special assessment fee?
      I thought they could only add a special assessment in a small percentage of your annual fee. NOT double it.

John W Oct 21, 2011

I had to admit my mistake for buying this timeshare deal, lick my wounds, and assume my loss (i.e approx $13000 in initial costs and maintenance fees) as a 100% write-off. If the attorney's are successful in just nullifying Raintrees Collection attempts and removing their ability to continue financing their Ponzi scheme (i.e. putting them out of business), I will be happy. I have just received and responded to their collection agencys first letter in September stating that I have no intention of paying either the Maintenance fee or Special Assessment fees (After not paying either since Jan 2009). Odd however, is the fact that they seem to be only attempting to collect on the unpaid Maintenance Fees - the Special Assessment fee seems to have been left out. I responded to the Collection Agency (i.e. Concord Collections) stating that I am not paying past Maintenance Fees since I am not being allowed use of the Property, due to not paying a Special Assessment fee, which is a breach of contract.

It must be remembered that any paid Maintenance Fees & Special Assessment Fees will be used to pay their attorneys to fight those who dont pay, not for actual maintenance costs of the property. The financial impacts of any settlements will also be recuperated by future Assessment / Maintenance fee increases in existing and new members, while they withhold right to use and threat of credit ruin over their heads.

Raintree Vacationsspecial assessment

I would like to join any class action law suits against Raintree vacations or Club Rebina Puerta Vallarta.
    I am opposed to the special assessment, as well as the one way nature of the original purchase contract.

Raintree Internationalscam

Dear members, Raintree Resorts International, in my opinion, is a scam. I bought at the Cancun site originally with the Hilton and Vacation ownership club, where the members were part of the board of directors and budgets were approved by a board of directors that was transparent. We received notices and minutes of the meetings and financial statements that were certified by independent auditors. Then it was changed to Club Regina, but we kept "renting from them ", you have no ownership rights... as they kept the members informed with financial statements... Then Raintree Resorts started managing the resort which was developed by Bancomer, a private bank in Mexico that changes hands and at the moment I do not know who owns it, ...It has been chaos for the members since then. You pay your fees but you can never get to the resorts especially during the spring or summer and winter months. They can accommodate you in the fall but that is all you get unless you pay upfront but they do not guarantee you a reservation, even if you pay your resort fee. They have never provided members with notices or meetings of their meetings and no detailed financial statements are ever produced even though my contract with Bancomer states that my club at the time VOC, needed to provide financial statements every year and that members had a right to vote on assessments. In my opinion, if we do not get financial statements, is because of mismanagement or possible fraud. Raintree has hired damage control PR individuals, so send all you complaints to the Texas Attorney General since they are in Houston, just like Enron was. Do not expect much from Texas as they blew the Enron case...So if you are in California go to the California Attorney General...they do a better job then Texas on consumer issues and lastly to the Federal Trade Commission with all your complaints...Post all your complaints every week and beware of the Raintree damage control individuals ...keep trying to get Financial information from Raintree and document everything that you send them and that they send you . We need to flush out the rats and get our money or club back.

• Ed
          ednivi Nov 25, 2010

I would be interested to join any class action suit against Regina. I bought Regina in 1996, when it was Hilton and since then, things have change a lot, as they've taken every single change in ownership as a way to reduce the value of old members. As a result, what I bought is not even close to what I am getting from them today, the cost has gone up, options reduced, time to use it reduced as well, etc. Almost every single item has been changed so they can sell more property to new owners without benefiting old ones. When I bought in 1996, the exchange value in RCI was supposed to be great. Now I can hardly can get availability where I want to go or get something of a much lower value. I would assume RCI is also part of this. In sum, I have so many issues and horror stories that I would gladly join any class action lawsuit against them.
          email [protected]@gmail.com

Raintree Vacation Club — maintenance fees

We have owned our Timeshare, purchased from Club Regina (Mexico) in 1995 for 15 years. The Reguar Maintenance...

Raintree Vacation Club/club Reginaassessments

On top of the "Special Assessment" Raintree wants to charge all owners, they now want to charge the following:
        RVC’s Club Regina Puerto Vallarta
        Gym facilities per person, per day: USD $7
        Tennis court day time (per hour): USD $20
        Tennis court lighted (per hour): USD $25

We spend 10 to 12 weeks here every year and work out every day. They want to charge us [for 2] $14/day. When we bought, and we have paid them a lot of $$, the gym and tennis courts were part of the amenities.

I am pissed
        Bruce Wallace

• Mo
            monkey45 Feb 07, 2010

Agree. Let's demand that they convert sales office to gym. Parting with the Westin not well thought out. These were also part of the amenities that we were promised when we bought in Cabo in 1998

Raintree Vacation Club2nd request for special assesment

I just got the revised letter for the special assesment from RVC at the end of November. In the cover letter, there is mention of a Member Advisory Committee. Does anyone know where a list of these members might be located or how they were chosen - or if there truly is a committee? I was told I cannot access the RVC "members only" section because I have a B-share ownership. Is there a way to contact this "members committee"? I have a few comments/suggestions!
          Also, B-Share members rules and regs section 1.2.3 has no wording indicating that special assesments may be charged. The wording doesn't even include the term "maintenance fee". It just says fees for use/upkeep of units.
          I have never had problems with reservations or being "lied to" like a lot of the other postings. My vacations have always been great, but being charged a double maintenace fee in one year is a real hardship. The extra charge is what I would spend in airfare. It takes the amount I spend for a one week vacation well over the cost of an all inclusive package - in some cases 2 packages to the same resort towns!
          If you pay the regular maintenance fee but not the special assesment, what are the consequences?
          Any help will be greatly appreciated!
          mlh

• DanielKeeney Dec 03, 2009

I am helping Raintree connect with members. The members of the committee have chosen not to release their names or contact information because some members have made threats. They volunteered to make sure the voice of the Members was heard as the organization considered its options related to a special assessment. They are not a representative body and are advisory only.

This is from the Raintree Listens website (as a B-share member, you should have access to the Raintree Listens website if you've provided your e-mail information):

Raintree Announces Member Advisory Committee

As promised this summer, Raintree Vacation Club has established a Member Advisory Committee. The committee is composed of nine Members from various backgrounds and locations, with a range of membership history and use of various resorts.

The purpose of the Member Advisory Committee is to give voice to the varied opinions of the Members and to advise Raintree leadership on matters related to the special assessment and thereafter on matters affecting Raintree Vacation Club. From the many Members who contacted the organization with concerns about the Special Assessment issued last summer, Raintree invited Members with financial, real estate management, communications and related backgrounds to join the committee. None of the management of Raintree knew any of these Members prior to hearing from these individuals in connection with the previously withdrawn special assessment.

The committee has held two conference calls and plans three more before Raintree issues a Special Assessment, expected to be by the end of October, as previously announced, for payment during 2010.

Following are the members of the Member Advisory Committee with brief information about their backgrounds. The committee members are identified by first name and state only at their request.

John - New York
              John and his wife have been Raintree Vacation Club members since 2003 and have visited nine of the Raintree Vacation Club resorts. John retired in 2007 after 25 years as a managing director of large international law firm. John is also owner of a retail business.

Richard - Utah
              Richard and his wife have been members of Raintree Vacation Club since 1995 and have visited four Raintree Vacation club resorts and have exchanged through RCI to travel to other resort destinations. Richard is a CPA and has his own accounting firm, advising clients in real estate and timeshare transactions. Richard also owns and manages multiple real estate ventures including multi-unit locations.

John - Minnesota
              John and his wife have been Raintree Vacation Club Members since 1996 and have visited four of the Raintree Vacation Club resorts. John has a management consulting practice that provides counsel in areas of marketing, sales, operations and technology.

Javier - Mexico
              Javier and his wife have been Raintree Vacation Club Members since 2002 and have visited six of the Raintree Vacation Club resorts. Javier works as a Quality Manager in the automobile industry. He has a degree in Mechanical Engineering and a masters degree in Manufacturing Administration. His wife is an Odontologist, but Orthodoncy is her specialty.

Tommy - Texas
              Tommy and his wife have been members since 2004 and have generally used their membership in Los Cabos. Tommy is an architect and leads the project management group for the South Region of a major commercial real estate services firm. His wife is a commercial interior designer.

Kathleen - Michigan
              Kathleen and her husband first acquired their Membership at one of the Club Reginas in the early 1990s. They have visited six of the Raintree Vacation Club resorts and exchanged with RCI to five other destinations. They are both veterinarians.

Kevin - Texas
              Kevin and his wife have been Raintree members since 2003. Kevin has had a long career in the radio/TV business and is now a partner in a multimedia automotive marketing business with operations in two states.

Brian - Texas
              Brian and his wife have been members since 2005. Brian is engaged in the energy consulting business, with a financial background.

Kathleen - Ohio
              Kathleen has been a Raintree Vacation Club member since 1996 and has visited six Raintree resorts with family and friends. She is an Associate Provost at a major university in Ohio and has served in various roles on Townhouse Associations.

• Up
              Upset with Raintree Feb 08, 2010

As a member of Raintree Vacation Club since 2001 I am also surprised and appalled by this "special assessment" and also the new "Blue" membership. These are both ploys to separate us from our money. How foolish does the sales & marketing department think we members really are? We are love to come to Cancun's Club Regina and other resorts. But at Regina the dishwashers are actually falling out of their mountings and the stoves don't work, but we do have a nice new $18 coffee maker and all this for over $900 in annual maintenance fees.

I will say that the hotel staff are wonderful and the sand/beach is great but that is why I joined in the first place. Why a ruin such a wonderful place and vacation concept with these ploys to get more of our hard earned money?

• Sc
              Screwed by Raintree Feb 22, 2010

Raintree has been using maintenance fees for over 10 years to buy other properties, evidently, and have done nothing as far as upkeep on their current timeshare properties. They (along with Starwood) are about to lose a lawsuit for defrauding buyers of Raintree's Grand Regina properties In Cabo San Lucas, MX., and are facing another major one concerning lack of institutional control and fraud of several hundred other members.
              I would advise anyone to stay away from this Houston based company. Google Raintree and you'll find hundreds of complaints concerning them and their management team.

• Re
              refuse to pay Mar 02, 2010

I cannot believe that they had the nerve to send another request for special assessement. I really hope that people do not respond. I contacted a lawyer and they said there is no where in the contract that says they can require us to pay a special assessement. We have been lied to so much. From the minute we sat down to the table to listen to their spill. We have been a member since 2006, we have only been able to use 3 days, and that is because we ended up going to Park City in Sept, no one goes to Park City in Sept there is nothing to do then. We have tried so many times to book vacations, but to no avail. And now they want more money, its is such a scam.

amelia608 Mar 18, 2010

Hello All,

My husband and I foolishly bought into the Club Regina Puerto Vallarta in 2006. Cost us $10, 000 for a "gold" level in the every other year rights. Maintenance fees are $900 every other year and then there is some sort of annual fee of about $150. We have only been there a total of 2 weeks since then, costing us about $12, 000. We have not been able to afford to return.

This special assessment fee is unacceptable and I would agree it may be fraudulent. I will only be happy if they will by back "this wonderful vacation package for a lifetime" for the original purchase price.

Raintree Vacationfraud, illegal activity

To moe,
            Thank you for all your input... You are right on.
            I called my friend that is a realtor in los cabos and she is also a member of club regina in los cabos. She stated as you have, that in no way are we owners of any property in mexico. No matter what they tell you. Because of the fideocommisso you can "lease" the property from them for a time and they have the right to take it back at any time the feel the need. It's mexico...
            She compared this to membership in a country club, you may use the club, but you do not own it. You pay your yearly fee to maintain the club, but you do not own it. She even said that when selling the "fractional ownerships" they are nothing more than "glorified timeshares" there again they lie and tell you that you are an owner, but you do not own it. It is against mexico fiedocommisso rules. Especially any property 100 yards from the oceanfront.
            Even in mexico if your buy property you would have received a deed of trust for that property. I have been an owner for 12 years and never received a deed of trust and I upgraded. I have three different contracts and they all say "right to use" and "lodging rights." look up the word lodging... Room for hire, room hired for temporary residence... Hire... Paying a set sum once or at regular intervals for the use of a dwelling or room.
            Does not show ownership..
            We were "buyers of a membership only"
            Anyway the responsibility lies with the management company to us our monies wisely and effeciently. To do the necessary upgrades on a yearly basis and to maintain a reserve fund for times that the fees may not cover everything that year. The reserve fund is to be replenished with the following maintenence fees and is only to be used for maintenence fee purposes.
            She was very precise in the ownership issue.
            We need to continue to communicate with the texas attorney general for the misappropriation of monies.
            I told my friend for all the money I have put in to this
            Club now and for the monies I will in the future (I have a 50 year contract) I could have bought a condo in cabo and been farther ahead.
            Rose h

• Jk
                jk123 Feb 01, 2010

Raintree Vacation Clubs should be ashamed of themselves. They are now assessing a second "Special Assessment" fee. They first tried this last summer, and the member rose up and revolted. And now they are trying it again. If there is anyone out there that can help me get out of this nightmare of a timeshare, please let me know. If you are looking to get into a timeshare this is not the one. If you stupidly bought this timeshare, do all that you can to get out!
                Thanks.
                Jenny

• DanielKeeney Feb 02, 2010

Hi, Jenny: I help the team at Raintree with communications with the Members. You may want to consider visiting www.raintreelistens.com where literally hundreds of Members have had their questions addressed by the organization. If you no longer want your Membership, you might consider selling it, transferring it to a friend or family Member or donating it to charity. You can reach me directly at [protected]@dpkpr.com.

Raintree Vacation Club/raintree Int'l Inc.special assessment fee/bait & switch

We upgraded our membership in Cabo San Lucas in 2008 where we originally bought in 2002. We were told money was already set aside to do upgrades to all units. Not only have the upgrades not been done, they are trying to assess us a "special assessment fee" after paying for an upgrade and paying maintenance fees and keeping them current. Since then after going on another update we have found out they have downgraded the update that we paid for!!!
              On top of that they are telling us we now own at Birch Bay in Washington State which we have NEVER been to because there are no more units available in Cabo to OWN. We didn't pay Birch Bay prices which are probably less, due to the fact that Cabo is one of their very top destinations. We feel we have been defrauded, the bait and then switch tactic.

• DanielKeeney Aug 06, 2009

Dennis: I am helping Raintree Vacation Club Members resolve their problems. Please contact me at [protected]@dpkpr.com and I can connect you with someone with Member Services. Based on your note, it appears you may not have a clear understanding of what you bought. There are significant differences between a traditional fee simple timeshare interest in a specific property and a Raintree Vacation Club Membership.

The Raintree Vacation Club purchaser acquires a beneficial trust interest/membership in a particular resort property (in your case, Birch Bay in Washington State). But WHERE your timeshare interest is purchased isn't really important because at the time of purchase, the buyer simultaneously deposits or assigns that beneficial trust interest/membership with Raintree Vacation Club in exchange for a Raintree Vacation Club Membership and the associated usage rights and responsibilities. These include usage rights to all Raintree Vacation Club resort properties in 16 destinations in Mexico, the United States and Canada as well as access to RCI, the world’s largest timeshare exchange company.

So just because your timeshare interests are backed up by real estate at Birch Bay doesn't in any way influence what resort properties you can reserve within the Raintree Vacation Club system. You have equal access to Cabo as the Members whose timeshare interests are backed up by the Cabo properties. All Club Members have pooled all their timeshare interests. It is a lot different than purchasing a timeshare at a particular property -- much more flexibility to go where you want.

You may want to visit www.raintreelistens.com for more information on these and other issues.

The process of first purchasing timeshare interests in a particular property and then assigning those interests to Raintree Vacation Club in exchange for a Club Membership is a common practice that has been reviewed and approved by the agencies that have jurisdiction over timeshare sales. By doing this, the Club is able to pool all the interests of all the Members to provide usage to all the resort properties to all Raintree Vacation Club Members and offer a wide variety of exciting vacation options all Raintree Vacation Club Members can enjoy.

• Yo
                  youmustbekidding Aug 12, 2009

Dan,

There is a downside to what you propose. If my home resort is Club Regina Cabo and I have purchased at Club Regina Cabo rates why would I want or even allow Birch Bay owners (who have purchased at far less cost than me) to have priority or preference at my home resort.

Your thoughts?

• DanielKeeney Mar 15, 2010

youmustbekidding: In a club such as Raintree Vacation Club, the timeshare interests are pooled. There is no "home resort" per se. What you own is a Membership in a Club with usage rights to the resort properties that fly the Raintree banner. There are no "Birch Bay owners" as you say. There are Raintree Vacation Club Members whose timeshare interests are backed up by real estate at Birch Bay. They purchased a Club Membership because it gives them ultimate flexibility in terms of what resort property they can visit. No Member has preference over any other, regardless of where their timeshare interests are backed up. Reservations are made on a first come first reserved basis. We recommend planning 10-12 months in advance.

Raintree Vacation/ Club Regina — flim flam

In the conversations with the sales rep. At the club regina, we discussed trading in two previous owned...

Raintree VCTrying to charge Special Assessment

The special assessment is one of many problems that RVC and prior to that Club Regina is guilty of. I have been a member since 97, I can't tell you the number of times I have been told that they are upgrading the resorts. I have complained numerous times, at the resort, by phone, letter and email. I never received the type of unit that I bought (they have changed unit names sine '97). The activities have been cut at the resorts, the units have been in need of repair for years. The big upgrade at Cancun (not much of an upgrade), is what was promised and shown in 97. After all my complaints, they gave me free points. My wife and I are 60 years old and have this unit almost 40 more years, what am I going to do with more points. I doubt that I will be able to walk up the Cancun hill at 100.
                Last winter, my wife and I spent a week in an all inclusive on a beautiful beach in DR for less then the cost of a years maintenance at RVC. We are being ripped off-ANYTHING that we can do to address the issue of not only the SA but the second class resorts at first class prices I will be a part of.

Amy T. Jul 03, 2009

There are 15 pages of "Special Assessment" complaints over on http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/raintree-c210535. Also included are instructions on how to file complaints with the Houston BBB, FTC, Texas Attorney General and your state AG. Examples and details are available at http://groups.google.com/group/raintree-vacation-club-members. You have to file the paperwork if you want to get rid of the corrupt practices and corrupt RVC board members.

In addition to mismanaging the annual maintenance fees, the attempt to levy the SA (now momentarily withdrawn) was really blackmail in the beginning revealing not only their desperation, but a spirit of complete disregard for contracts and obligations. If the AG can find that RVC was diverting named funds to other uses, they will require them to be repaid by Raintree Resorts International. Daniel Keeney was hired by RVC as damage control when many members expressed interest in a class-action lawsuit. Unfortunately PR cannot cover up fraud.

• Ju
                    Julie Hill Jul 04, 2009

Thank you Amy T for good direction.

Raintree Vacations Club Reginaspecial assessment

There is nothing in our contract about the special assessment we are
                  Told we need to pay. This is on top of our maintenance fee.
                  If we need to make an exchange through rci we need to go through
                  Raintree and they never have any trades for us. A big rip off.

Amy T. Jul 03, 2009

There are 15 pages of complaints over on http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/raintree-c210535. Also included are instructions on how to file complaints with the Houston BBB, FTC, Texas Attorney General and your state AG. Examples and details are available at http://groups.google.com/group/raintree-vacation-club-members. You have to file the paperwork if you want to get rid of the corrupt practices and corrupt RVC board members.

• Ll
                      lloyde Jul 09, 2009

There is more on this at Google, it sounds to me they are trying to scam all the members for more money! Without letting all members vote on these so called improvements! We have been members since the middle 90's at no time wre we told that they can just send out request for more money above the annual maintenance fee! Which has been adjusted up over the years for the same reason they are using now!

Lloyd

Raintree Vacation Clubspecial assessment fee & contract dispute

6/25/2009
                    Hello everyone,

Are we all in agreement that Raintree is out of line with this special assessment fee being charged and due July 15th?? Have you written to the Texas State Attorney General about this nonsense?

Are you in agreement, that since this property is in Mexico, we are NOT owners but Right To Use Members or renters?

Thank you and please respond.

[protected]@yahoo.com

Jim S. Jun 26, 2009

We have compiled a list in excess of 100 members that are communicating and strategizing with a goal of contacting the attorney general in multiple states, especially Texas and AG Andrew Cuomo in New York. If you want to be a part of the combined effort, please send your email address to [protected]@aol.com.

For the convenience of the authorities who might want to read members postings and for future reference, it seems it would be best to accumulate all comments under the above thread. There are already 13 pages on the thread. Thank you.

• Al
                        albet Jun 29, 2009

same problem they ruin your credit they are scammer we must open class action suite they will tell you that you must pay until 2042

my eamil [protected]@yahoo.com

• Ce
                        CEBU Jul 01, 2009

RAINTREE IS REALLY OUT OF LINE HERE. WE DO NOT OWN THE PROPERTY FOR US TO PAY FOR IMPROVEMENTS . WE ARE JUST RENTERS THAT PAID SO MUCH MONEY FOR IT ALREADY AND STILL PAYING FOR THE RIDICULOUS YEARLY ASSESSMENT FEES AND NOW, SPECIAL FEE? FOR WHAT? IF THEY SELL THE PROPERTY, THE MONEY THEY MAKE FOR IT DON'T COME TO US! WHAT GIVES THEM THE RIGHT TO JUST BILL US FOR ANYTHING THEY CAN THINK OF. IMPROVEMENTS OF THE PROPERTY IS THEIR RESPONSIBILITY, NOT OURS. WE ALREADY HAVE PAID OUR DUES. LETS FILE A CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST THEM. ANY LAWYER IN THE GROUP?

• Li
                        Lizhen Jul 07, 2009

I agree
                        I Purchase RVC since 2007. The maintenance fee had increase since I purchased . I never use yet but already paid $1000 . Now I received $380 Special Assessment Fee.

• Lo
                        loulee Sep 18, 2010

I agree!!!Help lets get out of this, there has to be a lope hole!! [protected]@optonline.net
                        Linda

• Lo
                        loulee Sep 18, 2010

WE got ripped off, not only did the raintree sales person (Cabo San Lucas & $30, 000. later.) say we could rent our 2 weeks when we didn't use it. He said Raintree would rent it for us!! Unfortunately it's not in the contract like he said. Full of lies. It's sad to think there isn't a way to get out of it! I don't know how people in ther 70's & 80's are managing the maintence fees. This should be against the LAW! My husband & I would be on board with a class action suit,
                        Linda & David

Raintree — Letter to Doug Bech

Mr. Doug Bech, I am a member, in good standing, at the Club Regina Resort Los Cabos. I have left several...

RaintreeSpecial Fee

I got a statement from Raintree Vacation Club for an annual Special Fee. I live in Mexico and have seen other members of this timeshare in the US asking if this charge applies for members in Mexico, Yes it does. I have sent emails to RCV letting them know that there is no clause in the contract stating that they can charge special fees. From my point of view if this is a legal charge they don't need to "offer free points with RCI" they just apply what is mandatory by the contract. I got an email answering the same text that was included in the letter with the statement that some members had called for improvement in the facilities and internet at rooms. I was also warned that if I didn't pay this special fee I was not going to be able to use RCV's facilities and charges and fines would apply if I didn't pay on timely basis.

I tried calling their customer service call center in Mexico and they gave me a phone number in Houston, they claimed there is nothing they can do.

• Or
                          oregano7 Jun 26, 2009

Please go to Raintree Vacation Club blog. We are trying to coordinate everyone there on 1 blog.

[protected]@yahoo.com

Jim S. Jun 26, 2009

The longest and most thorough thread of complaints and comments is at http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/raintree-c210535.html?sort=datea&page=13. The title of this complaint is “Trying to charge a ‘Special Assessment.’"

• Mr
                          MrD Jun 30, 2009

Below is an email that a member sent around to other members. It pretty much sums up why RVC is charging this SA: They are in dire straights, with no money and are on the hook for $25M for another failed fiasco:

"Haven't talked to you in a while...2006 to be exact. That was the year we made the fatal decision to trade our Club Regina for Grand Regina Villas, another RVC ripoff. Turns out, Raintree never built the Villas, sold the project to Starwood, who never did anything either. There is now a group of 154 Villas owners that have put up money and retained an attorney to fight/sue Raintree & Starwood in an attempt to get our money back.

I noticed your name floating around some of the emails from disgruntled Club Regina owners over the "special assessment". I'm sure I'd be furious over something like that, too. To put it mildly, Doug Bech is pretty much of a slime-ball. I'm one of a 6-member owners committee that met with our attorney, Doug Bech and his attorney and Starwood attorneys in Chicago a couple of weeks ago. We spent most of the time listening to "we just don't have the money to return everything". By his own admission, RVC had sold around $25M worth of weeks, yet didn't put the money into an escrow fund pending construction. Supposedly, he only has around $5M to return. They made one offer after the meeting, but it was piss-poor. Supposedly, another offer will be sent on Monday. If it's not, or if it's not any better, a lawsuit will be filed in federal court on Wed.

I had a thought that maybe this special assessment was an attempt to raise money to pay us back, then figure out how to deal with all of the irate Club Regina owners. Do you have a copy of the special assessment letter you could email or fax me? I think we might be able to use it as ammunition in the lawsuit. Oh, did you know that Doug spent $4.5M buying another resort in Puerta Vallarta right across the street from Club Regina, I believe it was last Sept. We figure he used some of our money to buy that. All I know is that we have a bunch of owners in our legal group that want to see him in jail, and he knows it.

I've been getting copied on emails from your group. All I can say is, good luck! You'll need it. Might as well get ready for a fight. We've pretty much figured out that he uses maintenance fee income to buy more properties, instead of using it for maintenance of the existing ones. They probably all do to some extent."

• Go
                          Good Figaro Jan 06, 2010

Hello. I am another owner who does not agree to pay the special fee or ‘Special Assessment". Please let me know how can I join the other owners in this fight against Raintree Vacation. My emails are:
                          [protected]@sisevende.com
                          [protected]@hotmail.com

• Co
                          costrow Feb 01, 2010

Please go to Raintree trying to charge a special assessment.

• Ce
                          Cedric Santizo Apr 13, 2010

Have you tried going to PROFECO? Otherwise I doubt Raintree would stop trying to charge SA

• Da
                          Da Har May 29, 2010

Raintree has done nothing but charge fees since I joined them. The value is poor for the cost. I have been unable to use the points. My wife and I consider this the worst financial decision we've made, and we think we were scammed by pros. These guys employ predatory salesmen and we were taken in. I would gladly join a class-action suit.

• To
                          tony martinez Jul 22, 2010

On June 4, 2005, my wife and I were in Cancun, Mexico vacationing when we decided to look into buying a timeshare with Club Regina . After much thought and consideration we decided to buy two units since we could travel with our children. This units weren't cheap we ended up paying 40K for both units . After getting back home we decided to pay off the contract. When signing the contract there was nothing said of having a special assessement fee all the contract said that we needed to pay the yearly fee which started at 810.00 yearly and since then has gone up to 1, 106.00 . Now we get a special fee to be paid before we can use our timeshares of the same amount of the yearly fee. which we can't afford to be paying . I have tryed talking to this people at Club Regina and they pass the buck to someone else and they never give you the answer you need to hear from them. I am really piss off with this people and I am ready to join a CLASS ACTION SUIT against them for being such crooks, first of we should never have bought this timeshares, second we should have never paid it off. and third we won't be going back to Mexico which we used to go at least twice a year.

TonyF.Martinez, Retired Magistrat Judge

Raintree Vacation Club — special assessment fee for every other year memebership

I'm agreement with everyone about unfair assessment charge. What's more infuriating is that I have...

Raintree Vacation Club — special assessment fraud

Just received an $820 special assessment bill in the mail from Raintree Vacation Club, this on top of the...

Raintree Resorts InternationalSpecial Assessment

Levy of a special assessment with no contractual obligation to fulfill planned improvements to the resorts.

Email sent to RVC special assessment email address awaiting response:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sirs:

We received the special assessment letter and invoice through the U.S. Mail.

The letter states this assessment is required to make improvements desired by the members, but it does not state that these specific improvements will be accomplished, only that you "plan to undertake" them with no timetable for completion.

What guarantee do we have these funds will be used to make these improvements? What is the timetable to complete these improvements?

In the past, we have witnessed an inordinate amount of funds expended unsuccessfully in marketing efforts by paying prospective buyer to attend a "presentation" at the resorts. Matter of fact, we could not use el Set at Cabo in the mornings because it was reserved to entertain prospective buyers. Club members were inconvenienced at the expense of these sales efforts!

The past two years, I came to the club lobby and used the wireless access every morning... While checking my email, I witnessed this first hand along with a lot of other early rising club members. Remarks were made poolside as the deteriorating conditions of the club units and reduction of amenities available to the members on the club side of the resort.

I must ask if this practice is going to continue? What guarantees us club members that these funds once raised will be used solely for the purposes stated in the mailing?

I would appreciate a formal response signed by Douglas Beech, CEO, Raintree International, LLC. In addition, I would appreciate some sort of a binding document coinciding with the payment of this Special Assessment.

• Db
                            dboolde7 Aug 17, 2009

I need to join your group. I have been a member of Raintree since 2001 and have been able to trade my weeks, but always upset when I get there as to the the conditions of the units. I want to help in anyway I can to get Raintree to tell me or where these fees go. What I am afraid of is they have "Madoff" with our money
                            Lee

Raintree /Vacation ClubRaintree Special Assessment

This is a vacation resort ownership in which there was an up-front payment of approximately $14, 000, and a contract for the payment by the purchaser annually of a "service fee". If payment of the "service fee" is not made for two years all ownership rights cease. All purchasers agree to this. This is the only contractual obligation for purchasers.

Raintree Vacation Club instituted a "Special Assessment" equal to approximately one year's "service fee" which is beyong the contract. Additionally, Raintree has implied and in some cases stated that the non-payment of this "special assessment" will have the effect of a non-payment of the "service fee", a cessation of ownership rights.

We have contracts to organize the conduct of business. If any company can for their convenience breach a contract because they have a need, agreements and business is doomed.

• Dl
                              dlndavid Aug 03, 2010

I sent in my regular maintenance fee and Raintree applied it to the Special Assessment fee. Now they are saying I owe the regular fee and want to charge me penalties.

• Mh
                              M. HUMPHREY Sep 16, 2010

I was told I could make monthly payment on my Special Assessment fee so long as I pay the fee by feb 2011 now I see that I have late fee's and collection fees that ad to an additional $150.00 when does this maddness stop

Raintree Vacation Club — special assessment

Special Assessment: I've asked for an itemized list of what everything costs. We own at Los Cabos (about...

Raintree Vacation Clubspecial asssessment fee

In 7/09 I received an invoice for a special assessment fee. My contract does not include a provision for a special asssessment fee.

On 7/12/09 I contacted the number provided on the invoice, which put me in touch with an RCI customer service representative who could not answer any pertinent question. An email was sent at that time to RVC disputing the fee on my behalf. Six days later, I have not heard back from an RVC representative.

I kept calling and eventually received a RVC contact name (Sharon at [protected]. Needless to say, Sharon does not pick up her phone and does not return calls. I call her continuously for fun at this point.

I also was told by one RCI representative that RVC Member Services in Mexico City was resolving issues, so I called there several times. I had the same experience three times. I asked about special fee and whether or not Mexican members were being charged. I received no answers and was put on hold and transferred to U.S. RCI phone number each time.

• Mr
                                MrD Jun 23, 2009

Please go to the following forum for lots of discussion on this Raintree Special Assessment Extortion attempt:

• Ba
                                barbara5272 Mar 07, 2010

Maybe all owners should just not pay or stop paying the assessment fees, this will get them to respond!!