Quest Diagnostics labquest did wrong test on my infant!

T

my dr prescribed my then 3 week old infant to goto quest lab to do a PKU test. PKU test a state mandated test for infants when they are burn in the hospital. Since my baby had 1 item tested positve, so DR asked us to do the test again at quest lab.

The test involves just taking 5 drops of blood of from infant on his foot. However, when we get to that quest lab location, the lady there didnt know what she was doing. at begining she said she dont do these tests at quest, then after consulting with her co-worker she said they do. but said they need to draw a full tube of blood from my infant. i said are you serious? she said yes, do you still want to do it?

i am not in medical profession and didnt know about this before so i trusted her. so i said, as long as you are sure, go ahead. she then proceed to draw a full fube of blood from my less than 3 week old infant's arm!

so my DR was expecting that results and finally 1 week later, they sent a fax to my DR that they have the results. and my DR was shocked when he received it. he said they did a totally wrong test. and he cannot even use this results and we have to do the test again. this time we went to the dr office and his assostant did it which is only 5 drops of blood!!!

Now we are really mad. quest lab draw 1 tube of blood from my 3 week old infant for nothing! and we also wasted 1 week of time waiting for their test results and not to say that we paid for that tests!

is there a place we can complain to to get quest lab in trouble?!

thanks,
zuodong zheng
[protected]

• IrishChick May 12, 2011

I would sue them, especially with the fact that they would make such a dangerous mistake that involves an infant. I'd stick some needles in them for not obviously training the nurses properly.