Quest Diagnosticsfraudulent billing

I Review updated:

For a YEAR, I had a running battle with Quest Diagnostics regarding billing for a set of laboratory tests requested by one of my physicians. When the sent the bill to Blue Cross Blue Shield for reimbursement, Quest used a diagnostic code that was different from what the doctor used on the requesting prescription, AND also they requested the reimbursement in the category of "medical care" instead of "diagnostic pathology." As a result, of course, BCBS denied the claim and Quest sent me a bill for$626.80, which is more than six times the "usual and customary" cost for that set of tests. For a while I went round and round with Quest, then I contacted BCBS and was told that the claim would be paid if Quest resubmitted with appropriate codes. I contacted Quest with this information, but they resubmitted the bill again with the same old codes they had used previously. Finally I contacted my physician and asked her office to intervene on my behalf. It took multiple interventions on my physician's part, including formal appeals to BCBS, before BCBS finally paid the claim. The "allowable amount" turned out to be $98.11, of which I was supposed to be responsible for 10% co-pay and BCBS paid the remaining $88.33 directly to Quest. Elapsed time: one full year. Interestingly, I have not yet received a corrected billing from Quest. I sent them payment along with a copy of BCBS's Explanation of Benefits. We'll see what happens. I don't trust these folks.

• Pe
    Peter Last Feb 06, 2020

Quest is a group of thieves. Be very wary when they ask you for co-payments. It is ALWAYS OVER the amount they are contracted to charge.

• Sk
    skys up Apr 08, 2017

oh they are balance billing that is for sure..i feel there is an angry billing crew there..i do not think it is the ceo however the complaint with Unilab says different. Balance billing well illegal or extortion..i am looking into this matter I have the state on my side..no fines I want a mugshot

• Un
    Unfair billing Jul 21, 2015

We had three experiences wher Quest billed us 6- 18 months after the susposed treatment and tests were done. Every other provider was paid promptly. Quest has changed their reason for sending the bill to us many times. I really believe that they count on people's laziness to look up past medical records or fear of a bad mark on their credit report to get these payments. Once they charged my wife more than the doctor doing the treatment for just being in the room when the sample was taken. My wife insists there was no body else in the room.

• Do
    Donald P Dec 20, 2013

I am going through the exact thing right now but my bill is over $5, 000. I to was told that quest was yousing an outdated billing code urmom above is the ###. I also asked Quest to send be somthing with my signature showing i approved these tests and the results of said test and they said noway, you are not the client the hospital is. what other company has the balls to demand $5000 from you with no proof of anything and will not even give you any details. I am reporting them to my state insurance board.

• Qu
    quest sucks Dec 20, 2011

Obviously the people who replied work for Quest, those money sucking ###.

• Ro
    rolfing Nov 28, 2011

You attitude and comments are rude and baseless. You know nothing about the claim and do not work in the billing department. Identify yourself you ###!

• Pe
    Peter Last Feb 06, 2020

@rolfing Quest is a scam company. They attempt to overcharge people on a regular basis. Someone needs to file a class action against these thieves.

• Ur
    urmom Oct 30, 2009

you are most likey a ###. quest has nothing to do with the dx or "diagnostic code" they come from the doctors office. and insurances screw not only the doctors but hospitals labs and patients. you reaqlly should educate yourself before making claims about companys that you no nothing about.