• Ta
    tara77 Dec 01, 2009

i have had the same thing happen as well! i have had to cancel my debit card and am disputing charges with my bank.

mjameson Dec 01, 2009

additionally, seattle coffee direct and publicationsmax.com are the same company. If you received one charge for you are liable to receive another.

Jo McGehee Dec 01, 2009

They charged me $89 on 11/28/09. I have filed an investigation with my bank. I did not authorize that charge, however I have had dealings with this company in the past... in March of this year. Namely through a game on Facebook. It was listed as a sponsor of a game and if I made a purchase, I would have gotten game tokens in return. The charge was supposed to have been for $26.00 for some number of magazine subscriptions. Well, I was actually charged $90.82. I immediately called them for a refund and cancelled the account. They did not give me any trouble, and they emailed me a cancellation confirmation number, saying I would not be recieving any magazines nor would I be charged anything else. And then I find out they have charged me again, for no reason. I have not done any business with this company and I saved my email, which I took to the bank. I have also been trying to get in touch with the company myself to resolve this matter, but I have not had any luck getting past the answering machine.
    This company also goes under the name "MAG-BURST"
    Their phone number is 888-MAG-BURST, or [protected].

mjameson Dec 01, 2009

just talked to seattle coffee direct (888.217.2233) and talked with a rep named Tasha. She advised that my account with them had been cancelled since 9/08 and when they moved to the new billing system that it created charges that were not valid. she advised that the charges would be credited in 1-2 billing cycles but would not give me her rep id or last name. when i asked for a supervisor i was given a voicemail. called back and got another agent - Keisha. She advised that it was a billing system issue and that they are not proactively issuing any credits. They are only crediting people when they call to complain. I am still cancelling my card, as this company obviously keeps credit card information on file and does not see it necessary to correct their mistakes unless they are called on them.

mjameson Dec 01, 2009

I am having the same issue as well. I have contacted Capital One and was advised that the charges have to be investigated. I also ordered from Seattle Coffee over a year ago. To make matters worse, I returned the merchandise and never received a credit. I am going to cancel my card and file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

• Ki
    kiwiseymour Dec 01, 2009

I am having the same problem the publications charge showed up on the 25th and today I have another $79.00 charge for seattle coffee and you cant get through to either one of them!!! and I bank at wachovia also!!! still on the phone with the bank trying to dispute it isnt considered unauthorised because I have ordered from seattle coffee about a year ago, but same her I canceled so what do we do about companies that think they can just keep using our debit card info?

• Da
    Danbo Dec 01, 2009

A charge showed up on my account for $79.00 out of the blue. I double-checked with the wife and she didn't place an order. I have no idea how they got our account info (we shop online quite a bit) but they did and then they charged me $79, for what, I have no idea. I called them about 20 times over a five-day span and always the same thing - a recorded message of "all circuits are busy, try again later" and it hangs up; or "please leave a message", I did, three times, but no return calls; or "all circuits are busy, please stay on the line", I did, for an hour one time, and nothing! I had to call my bank and cancel the debit card and get a replacement - what a hassle that was. I don't see how these guys are still in buisness - and not in jail! What can we as consumers do? I'm calling the BBB but I don't if that will help or not. Somebody let me know and I'll join in to shut these crooks down!

• Ji
    Jimbo Dec 01, 2009

I was just checking my balance on one of my credit cards, and I found a charge of $79.00 on my card account posted on Thanksgiving Day of all days! So I called my cardholder and immediately disputed the charge. I have no idea who they are or how they accessed my information. I see there are tons of other complaints against them... some for the same amount even on the same day! I am sure this is a major fraud item going on.

• Ka
    KarenD. Dec 01, 2009

I'm just disgusted that they are ripping so many people off (including me!)... I actually contacted my local FBI office and they told me that unauthorized charges to your credit card IS CREDIT CARD FRAUD and is handled by the United States Secret Service Agency! I've already left a message with them and I will be filing a complaint and making them aware of Peel, Inc. Please do the same... Together we can expose this company!

Also, here is the form to file a complaint with the Illinois Attorney General's Office:

auntiepam Nov 30, 2009

I had the same thing happen to me...my debit card expires at the end of this month...does anyone else have an unauthorized charge on their account whose debit card will expire 11/30? just wondering...

auntiepam Nov 30, 2009

I also have a $79.00 unauthorized debit on my account...and I also purchased from the Seattle Coffee company

auntiepam Nov 30, 2009

I also have a charge 11/27 for $79.00...left 2 messages...no one has called back...found this email on another site
    [email protected] <[email protected]>
    sent an email demanding he contact me in 2 business days...but, I have no way of knowing if this email is legit or even active
    I will contact my lawyer

AniOR Nov 30, 2009

This company is also called Seattlecoffeedirect.com ... check out my complaints.

Publicationsmax.com is also Seattlecoffeedirect.com

RE: message from maurabi
    "an unauthorized payment of 79.00 to publicationmax.com was applied to my wachovia debit card on 11/27/09. when i called my bank to cancel my card, i learned that another unauthorized charge of 79.00 to seattlecoffeedirect.com has not been posted yet. the companies are one and the same, according to wachovia's dispute department."
    ****************************************************************************************************

Ah a lightbulb has come on now, at least now I know how they got my debit number ~ I had made a purchase a year ago to Seattlecoffeedirect.com for xmas gifts ~ and successfully canceled that account in January 09.

Still the complaint here is ~
    1) Using my debit was not authorized, the authorization was defunct when the cancellation went thru.
    2) The account that this was used on was successfully canceled and thus should never have been reopened or used.
    3) So now what do we do to companies that feel a "debit or credit card" on file gives them the right to use it anytime they want, even tho approval was taken back when a person canceled the order? I know there was no claus that says "You may cancel at anytime but a year from the date of your original purchase we have the right to charge your card, any amount and without sending you any product or advising you."

Where are our rights!? I'll be following up on this for sure...

maurabl Nov 30, 2009

AniOR Nov 30, 2009

Other complaints of UNAUTHORIZED Debits from personal accounts ~ Note with NO magazine or MacDonald or any kind of order to Publicationsmax.com ~

MadWetHen
    Tuesday 11/24 3 pm I checked bank account and publicationmax.com888-6242877 used my debit card and stole $89. I had never heard of them.These people are just thieves. I keep calling but just get the recording to leave message, I have left many but so far no reply. What they are doing is totally unlawful!!

MKelley
    11/23/00 a charge showed up on my debit card. I did not authorize "publicationsmax.com" to charge my card at any point in time. I did not authorize this $79.00 charge. I have no idea who they are. Please remove this charge from my account.

JD10
    on 11/30/09 a charge for 79.00 appeared on my statement and I have no idea who publicationsmax.com are. I have tried to call them but the lines are always busy. O expect that I will have to write to the NY Attorney General's office or the state office of consumer affairs.

Y Frantz
    On 11/27/2009 I found a $79.00 transaction taken from my bank account by this company & I don't even know who they are. I never authorized this and don't understand how they got my information. I will be calling the state attorney general and the better business bureau. This is illegal. I would never pay $79.00 for magazines & have never even been on their website, until I saw this charge & of course it showed up after the bank was closed for the weekend so I can't even contact the bank to stop payment. I will pursue this further. YFrantz

and my own !!!
    AniOr
    on 11/27/09 ~ I recevied an unauthorized debit from my CHASE account by this company called Publicationsmax.com. (no phone number listed) I do not know who this company is or nor did I authorize any such debit from my account.I have not purchased anything online recently and have not signed up for any magazines ...there is no authorized way for this company to have my debit information or right to STEAL money from me.
    In reading other complaints here, it sounds like this company phishes this info out from other online purchases.

Ive filed a fraud report with my bank, canceled my card and have also alerted my local TV station and Police. I do not take kindly anyone or company that feels they are above the law and can steal from me! It appears from other complaints here they have been getting away with it for some time. Its time for us all to take a stand ! Call your local police, call your local media stations and tell them your case. Alert Bad Business Bureau, Ripoff.com and the real BBB. Truth may finally make a dent in bringing down conglomerates who think they are above the law!

AniOR Nov 30, 2009

Me too ~ see my complaint. I believe an online merchant has been compromised. I purchased using my Chase acct at some Halloween shops. Did you purchase recently online items at similar or have a chase acct? Im trying to find the common denominator. I also canceled my card, got funds back from my bank (showing them this website and all the many complaints) ; and furher more filed a theft report with my local police dept and alerted the local TV station.
    Something has to be done further tho to stop companies like this from stealing from us!

AniOR Nov 30, 2009

See my complaint too ~ exactly the same ~ 11/27 bank hit for unauthorized debit of 79.00 ???? What can we do to stop this company???

AniOR Nov 30, 2009

On 11/25/09 / hit bank on 11/27/09 ~ I recevied an unauthorized debit from my CHASE account by this company called Publicationsmax.com. (no phone number listed) I do not know who this company is or nor did I authorize any such debit from my account.
    In this hard economical times ~ Ive been keeping a close eye on my accounts and knew that exactly where this account stood at the time I received an O/D email from Chase. I knew that couldnt be possible as I have not used the account since the begin of Nov and it was left in a positive standing. I have not purchased anything online recently and have not signed up for any magazines ...there is no authorized way for this company to have my debit information or right to STEAL money from me.
    In regards to that possibility ~ there is one company (tho not saying they are bad) that I did purchase online from "Buycostumes.com" for Halloween stuff and I used my Chase acct. Other than that there hasnt been any related online usage. Im alerting BC.com of their possible compromise. If anyone above has Chase or purchased from above ~ its possible there is connection there. Meanwhile ~ what can we do about companies such as this Publicationsmax .com ???? They need to be held accountable!!! or brought up on charges~!!!

jack6020 Nov 30, 2009

I was charged $79.00 on my credit card. I don'e even know what it was for, I didn't order any magazines. It must be linked to facebook somehow. i managed to get the charges reversed and canceled the card.

JoniinHillsboro Nov 30, 2009

Count me in, too - $79.00 and I have no idea where it came from. Guess I'll spend the morning on the phone with my bank, and this company. BTW - the company's info is:

Company information:

• Jd
    JD10 Nov 30, 2009

• Yv
    Yvonne Frantz Nov 30, 2009

On 11/27/2009 I found a $79.00 transaction taken from my bank account by this company & I don't even know who they are. I never authorized this and don't understand how they got my information. I will be calling the state attorney general and the better business bureau. This is illegal. I would never pay $79.00 for magazines & have never even been on their website, until I saw this charge & of course it showed up after the bank was closed for the weekend so I can't even contact the bank to stop payment. I will pursue this further. Yvonne Frantz

• K2
    k2times Nov 29, 2009

Signed up for an initial offer of '6 magazines for $11' or something like that. I received a bill a few months later from MAGPROSUSA (billing name for PublicationsMax) for $89 - and quickly figured out I had been scammed by the fine print of 'each' or 'for the first month' or whatever scheme these kinds of companies run. I figured I would enjoy the magazines and had learned a lesson, but not a single magazine ever arrived. I completely forgot about it until I looked at my credit card statement this month and found another charge for $89. Crooks!! I immediately called my bank to dispute the charge, and I'm going to file every complaint I can to try to warn others about these scam artists. I also called and left a message to their 'customer service' line, though I'm sure these thieves won't listen to it. Caveat emptor...

• Di
    Disgruntled_Russ Nov 29, 2009

I just checked my account as well, and found a $79.00 charge on my card as well. Apparently it went through on 11/24/09. I also saw another $79.00 from Seattle Coffee direct that has shown up as a pending transaction for today 11/29/09. Again, I have never ordered a magazine subscription or a coffee from these people. I have no idea who they are. On the 24th I was in the strip district of Pittsburgh and today i've been in my office.

• La
    Lala0917 Nov 29, 2009

I completely agree!!! I just went online today and found a $79 dollar charge from Publicationsmax.com. I have no idea what this is and I have not signed up for any promotions or anything like that. I really want to know how someone was able to access my credit card information. I disputed the charges and canceled my credit card or should I say debit card. I am just thankful that I realized that this fraudulent charges were on my account right away before any additional charges could be applied. Companies like this should be ashamed of themselves for ripping off people.

mag rip off Nov 28, 2009

Same here. I never heard of the company and they took $73 from my bank account. Does anyone have a solution yet?

jodirbrooks Nov 27, 2009

I just found out they took $79.00 out of my account. I have tried calling all day to no advail and left message after message and nothing. I did not even know about this until today and I'm livid about it . I did not order from this company and neither did any one in my family. I have never heard of this company before untill today. So pissed.

• Nh
    nhguest Nov 27, 2009

Junebug3369,
    The exact same thing has happened to me today. Please let me know what you find out. I was also charged $79.00 and I am disputing the pending transaction.

mad wet hen Nov 26, 2009

Tuesday 11/24 3 pm I checked bank account and publicationmax.com888-6242877 used my debit card and stole $89. I had never heard of them, or so I thought. I called this number and the recording said Magazine Burst. Back in 2007 the same company took $95.90 from me but I finally got it returned. They had to have kept my debit card number on file and used it again to just outright steal my $89! I have had no contact with these people in any way since 2007. These people are just thieves. I keep calling but just get the recording to leave message, I have left many but so far no reply. What they are doing is totally unlawful!!

maureen kelley Nov 26, 2009

Sincerely,
    Maureen Kelley
    [email protected]

janeH Nov 26, 2009

I had never even heard of this company until the charge appeared on my statement. There has too be something that can be done.How can they keep doing this too so many people?

• Da
    DaniellehatesMaxpub Nov 25, 2009

i too was ripped off by this company not once but twice. I've been charged close to $200 and have never received a single magazine. I've called numerous times, mailed letters and emailed Jeff himself and still have heard nothing from them!

Hello Jeff,

I found your email address online after researching your company online to see if you were an internet scam company and found tons of complaints similar to mine. Amazing what you find online.

I ordered a magazine subscription 2 years ago for $90 (December 2007). The magazines NEVER came, in two years never one. I called NUMEROUS times and was told they were on back order. Then finally I called and said I wanted to full refund. I was told it would be credited to my card card- that NEVER happened. I finally after tons of failed attempts decide I hadn’t been scammed and decided to cut my losses. Now 2 years later with no refund and still no magazines either, I have been charged an additional $90. My credit card company has already filed a fraudulent calm against your company. However, I want my refund on the original $90 I was charged 2 years ago as well as the $90 I’ve just been charged. Thats close to $200 I’ve been charged by your company and never received one single magazine.

Please call me immediately to clear this up or I will take legal action. I am prepared to do whatever possible to make sure all my money is returned to me and that this never happens to another person EVER again by your company. I’ve attached a letter that I’ve written and mailed to your company as well.

My contact information is below. Please call my cell. I don’t care if it’s tomorrow on Thanksgiving, I want this taken care of immeditately!!!

• Ju
    Junebug3369 Nov 24, 2009

I went online to check my bank account this morning, to find a charge of $79.00, that neither my husband or I authorized. I tried to call the company immediately, after looking them up online. I left a message, but so far no one has called me back. Now I will get an IFC at my bank for $37.50, because I have to let it post before I can dispute these charges. I have read numerous complaints about this company doing the same to many other people. Why is no one stopping them? This is FRAUD, & should not be tolerated. I m going to check into what I can do. I hope everyone else will do the same & not just let these idiots get by with this.

• Ss
    Sshadel Nov 23, 2009

I went to my bank account on line today to find a charge for $79.00 on my account from Publicationsmax.com. To my, or my wifes knowledge we have not ordered any magazines or authourized them to take money from my account. This is a total rip off. Something should be done with this company.
    Thank you for letting me vent.
    Steve W Shadel <†><

• Bi
    bisho74 Nov 23, 2009

Oh is Publicatiosmax.com going to hate me when i get done with them. I DID NOT IN ANY WAY GIVE THEM MY PERMITION OR MY PERSONAL INFO FOR THEM TO TAKE MONEY OUT OF MY ACCOUNT. IS MY BOTHER WHO IS A LAWER GOING TO HAVE FUN WITH THEM.I'M SO TIRED OF THESE BIG RIP OF COMPANY TAKING WHAT THEY WANT FROM PEOPLE THAT WORK SO HARD JUST TRYING TO GET BY IN TODAYS TIME. PUBLICATIONMAX.COM I HOPE YOUR COMPANY READS THESE YOU ARE ABOUT TO COME INTO A WORLD OF HURT...

• Rh
    Rhodes Nov 17, 2009

Mr. Berman Director of Customer Services - I am going to call you, I have for five months called left messages, talked to someone human even with given info. of name, phone numbers, zip code, etc... to no avail... Nothing, Nada!!! even promised that within 48 hours your acct. will be credited. I've been told about the 15 employees and 2 managers. Have you listened to the recording that answers? It is not even complete the first half is not audiable. I have left messages with IP reps. M. GORDON, SOMEONE FIRST NAME " LEE " spoke to some name "Larry" and leave a message and we will get right back to you... Ha Ha!!! pissed off yes! dissatisfied ? yes

• Do
    donna k jones Nov 11, 2009

If this keeps happening, why cant anything be done to stop other people from getting scammed!!!

• Do
    donna k jones Nov 11, 2009

I too, fell for this trap, 5 issues for $27.00. Within 24 hrs. my bank account was charged $86.98. I called befor it was even 24 hours, had my order cancelled and was told my account wouldn't be credited back for 1-2 billing cyles. 3 months later, no credit, i FINALLY was able to get thru to someone at [protected], ( after trying for a long time, being on hold, left a message, with no call back) and they told me I would be credited back in 2-3 business days, it has been a week again. tryed several times to call, told to hold and hold, then leave a message and someone would call back. that was 3 days ago. going to try 1 more time to get this settled, then i am reporting this to the better business burau and probably contact a lawyer. good luck to any one else who gets trapped into this sham. I f anyone was successful in getting a refund, how did you do it?

• Yes, the same thing just happened to me. I disputed their first chages, which came to $91 and some change. this was about 6 - 8 months ago, then today, I look at my bank acct. and I find out that they have a charge on my acct. for $89. What the heck is going on with this company ??? They are serious rip offs !!! So, I called the bank and they said that I have to wait and see if the charges will drop or go through and check back tomorrow. I had the companies number, but I threw all the info. that I had out when I went through the last situation.