Menu
I
Author of the complaint
5:06 pm EDT
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I contacted Portfolio after harassing me at work a month or so ago. i sent a Cease and Desist letter. Today i get another call at work from them. Had there not been customers in the office, i would have let them have it but in a very low voice told them again to never call me at work. As soon as I was able I filed a written complaint with the FTC. I am fighting back. I am so tired of dishonesty and people trying to rip me off. In the last year I have had my credit limits lowered to my balance and interest raised. My credit score has dropped because of this.

I have worked so hard to build my credit up and now it is being destroyed by a bunch of selfish, greedy crooks. This company is calling me on an account that is at least 12 years old and is not on my credit reports so they must have really hunted for this one and if i felt like looking it up, I believe it was paid years ago. i have had it. Something has to be done with these illegal actions.

More Portfolio Recovery Associates complaints & reviews

Portfolio Recovery Associates - fraudulent debt collections
Portfolio Recovery Associates - Harassment
10 comments
Jan 06, 2009 11:21 am EST

About a year ago I received a collection letter from this company which I ignored and did not even open. I went through a divorce 15 years ago and lost everything. I have worked hard to pay my bills and repair my credit by paying ALL my bills on time for the past ten years even in spite of two major illnesses which caused me significant medical expense. I have gotten a free credit report every year for the past three years and nothing that they have claimed I owe shows up on any of my credit reports for the past three years.

About a month after the letter arrived they started calling up to three times a day. They claim that I owe $10, 000 to Capital One Credit. I never had a credit card with a balance over $2, 000, so this is patently false information on their part. I have asked them over and over to send an accounting of the debt. They have refused, saying they will not give an accounting of the debt until I pay!

The SOL in my state is 6 years.

The last time I took a call from them it was because my 10 year old answered the phone. Before they asked my child to put me on the phone, they asked them all kinds of personal information, like who her parent's were, etc..

I have recently filed a complaint with my State's Attorney General's office.

I know what they are doing is against the law. I recently found out that a good friend of mine who is over 80 years old and living on social security paid them on an old account and I am outraged by the tactics these ### use. They should be prosecuted.

N
Apr 22, 2009 6:03 am EDT

Having received a 'bill' for $700+, in the mail, from Portfolio Recovery Associates, dated April 10, 2009, I called them to find out what it was all about. Upon contacting them, a woman explained it was a Verizon Wireless bill, going back to December 6, 1997! I really had to think to remember ever even having done business with Verizon.

It took me a few minutes and then it struck me...that 'bill', I assumed, was for a phone that had been stolen! I can remember immediately contacting Verizon and clearing all this up with them at the time...I thought!

I explained this to to woman and she kept insisting I owed the bill. My question to her was 'are you licensed to do business in State of Arizona'? 'Of course', she said, 'we're licensed to do business in all 50 States. The whole time she was talking, I was looking up licensing thru the Dept. of Financial Institutions for the State of Az., which monitors collection companies. Lo and behold...they were NOT licensed under the name of Portfolio Recovery Associates. They had 'forgotten' to update their information!

She then put a Manager on the phone, and I told him the same thing..you are not licensed to do business in the State of Az. With that, his retoric went more or less like this...'so, when are you paying your bill, you owe this bill and we're going to collect this bill'. I hung up on him!

I contacted the Dept. of Financial Institutions, and they were going to take care of contacting Portfolio to request updated info, as they were NOT licensed in Az.

I have received a call, every night since the 10th of April, and have chosen not to answer my phone...until this evening. Again, a very antagonistic young man called, and I requested any and all documentation that they had to substantiate this bill. He told me it had been sent back in 2004 to an address in Illinois. I informed him I hadn't lived in Illinois in 9 years and repeated my request. I was polite but firm! His response 'I don't like your attitude'! I told him 'if you don't like my attitude, then perhaps you'll like this'..and hung up!

I will take no further calls from Portfolio Recovery Associates!

Apr 11, 2011 5:14 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Exie you need to learn the law! It's up to the collection agency to prove that the debt is owed not the person who you think owes it. That is why PRA must upon request provide a full verified accounting of when the debt was incurred, who it was with and when the last payment was made.

Also don't try to tar everyone with the same brush. PRA has a long history of changing names and trying to intimidate people into paying money they never owed in the first place so check before you come out with stupid statements like "pay you bills on time"

W
Nov 10, 2009 4:22 pm EST

Call your attorney general to make a complaint so this company will have to follow the law. Find your state statutes here:

Find your state attorney general here:

Your attorney general can make them stop illegally abusing not only YOU, but others like you: elderly people they like to intimidate, single mothers, veterans, anyone. Even when you owe a debt, there are laws they have to follow, and this company does not follow them. Report abuses to your attorney general! Just taking them to court means they may pay some small fine (with money the scammed from someone else), but your attorney general can put them out of business in your state.

They are already being investigated by the Missouri Attorney General:

Get them investigated in your state, too--this illegal behavior can't be allowed to go on!

W
Nov 10, 2009 4:13 pm EST

Call your attorney general to make a complaint so this company will have to follow the law.Find your state statutes here:

Find your state attorney general here:

M
Sep 09, 2009 5:52 pm EDT

I used to work for a sister company of theirs called IGS, out here in Vegas. If anyone would like a full disclosure of the practices they teach, and encourage, in their training, please feel free to email me. [email protected]

Jun 14, 2009 2:14 am EDT

One, you make several claims about what you say you owe. If you have an oustanding balance it may or may not have a statute of limitations on it. Not sure of your state regs on that. but you claim your credit has suffered. No kidding? Pay your bill on time as you agreed to do.

Two, you claim you paid the bill. Now you must prove it. Not the agencies responsibility.

three, the do not call at work complaint, if valid, is highly illegal and violates FDCPA. I would hire an attorney to handle that directly with the agency. third party debt collectors are suable for damages, and even the agent who called you can be sued for up to 1k for each occurance!

Always, get names, first and last, note the time and date of the calls. you need proof of these violations.

bottom line is you put yourself in this position if indeed the bill is still owed. Dont cop out and blame everyone else for not paying it.

Mar 05, 2009 12:52 pm EST

they are trying to collect 891$ from me they say it is a capital one bill i have proof that it was paid off in 2001 and this is no longer on my credit report it says account charged off

Jan 21, 2009 10:38 pm EST

i agree

Jan 21, 2009 10:37 pm EST

Portfolio Recovery has been harassing me for over 2 years!
They are trying to collect on a debt from 25 years ago that was settled in court! They make me so darn mad.
My attorney told me they can not collect it.
The last time they called, 2 days ago, my husband told them that we would sue them for harassment.
I hope they won't call again, BUT, i am sure they will.
Good luck to you. Ignore them.
They are banking on the less fortunate and hoping we will just give in to stop all the harassment. DO NOT SEND THEM ONE CENT.

Me, from indiana

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

104 complaints