Menu

complaints

PetSmart Complaints Summary

96 Resolved
538 Unresolved
Our verdict: With PetSmart's very poor resolution rate, careful consideration is needed. Research their service comprehensively, and read up on how they handle customer disputes. If you face issues, be prepared for potential challenges in obtaining resolutions and explore other service providers as backups.
File a complaint
Verified
The authenticity of the customer service contact information for PetSmart has been meticulously verified by representatives from ComplaintsBoard using our proprietary verification system.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of PetSmart. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
Claim Your Business
Take control of your profile: address complaints and engage with reviews

PetSmart complaints 634

Sort by:

Newest PetSmart complaints

5:15 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On 3/4/10 I went into PetSmart to buy a case of dog food (12 cans), it was 6 cans of beef and 6 cans of chicken. Well, the cashier, 408135, she tried ringing up the cans separately. When I asked her why she was doing that, her excuse was the cases normally don't ring up. I told her to take it off because I was not going to buy it because it was way higher...

1:51 pm EST

PetSmart I am encountering nonsense and inconvenient delays

Went to Petsmart to pick up some more canned food for my pooch (Petco does not carry this brand) and some Frontline flea product with the arrival of Spring in mind. Our Petsmart has a Banfield Vet in the back of the store, this is where I found the Frontline hanging on a tabletop circular rack marked "Display Only". My thought, "ugh! making this more difficult for me to buy product", told the girl behind the counter what I needed and this Ordeal Began;

Asked to pay for it there, not at the front of the store with the rest of my purchases, give my personal info (name, add, phone...) when I responded I did not want to be on any more lists, was told it was to print an invoice... (grumble grumble) I pulled out my debit/credit card when she told me the price (knew it was higher by about $5, than my own vets, but I was already there), ran my card as debit, then her phone rang and she was otherwise occupied for the next several minutes occasionally using a condescending tone to the caller, as I stood there waiting for my receipt and product. Yep, this annoyed me - she hung up and announced that my debit card didn't go through and it was because I chose debit and not the credit option. "HUH?!"

I was told I needed to swipe it again and use credit option.

I just wanted to run in to the store and quickly pick up these two things, (fast paced, here in California). Now I am encountering nonsense (in my opinion) and inconvenient delays. Yes, I told her this and left the Banfield counter without flea product hearing her echo "have a nice day' in a sarcastic tone.

At the front of the store, as I paid for the dog food debit card worked fine! I did tell the employee. May be last visit to Petsmart and definitely to a Bandfield.

Read full review of PetSmart and 5 comments

5 comments
Doll_87
Clovis, US
Feb 10, 2011 8:05 am EST

As already stated. Banfield is completely seperate from Petsmart, just a rented space. Also with frontline and advantage now being sold over the counter its no longer FDA approved. The only way it can have an FDA approval is being sold through a vet. Also the receptionist has to answer the phone regardless of who is at the counter, its their Job. The cashier at petsmart would also answer the phone at her register if its ringing even if she was in the middle of ringing out a customer.

a1988
Buffalo, US
Jun 14, 2010 3:51 pm EDT

you do realize that petsmart only leases space out to banfield, right? they arent the same company, and do not share the same staff. you shouldn't penalize petsmart for another company's faults ...

lunker
dfw, US
May 24, 2010 7:08 pm EDT

You act like Banfield was deliberately slowing you down by making you pay there for Frontline. Might be wrong, but didn't that used to be sold by vets only? So of course it was a 'display only' because you'd need to buy it through the vet, not at the Petsmart register. Banfield had nothing to do with that.

As for her taking a call, what was she supposed to do, let it ring off the hook? It might suck, but not every company can hire a person to strictly work phones. You wanna pay the salary of a reception for Banfield?

Apr 15, 2010 12:50 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

your problem is with banfield not petsmart. two seperate companies good news for you petsmart not sells frontline and advantage over the counter through the register. so its less inconvenient

groomer
Feb 17, 2010 11:51 pm EST

Isn't this old news? I've read this stuff before! Still have the same opinion- the poster is a jerk.

2:56 pm EST

PetSmart killed my dog

took my dog for a teeth cleaning, she has a history of siezures of wicth they are aware and treating her for, got a phone call early afternoon that she was dead

Read full review of PetSmart and 10 comments
Update by liverpooliz
Jan 21, 2010 2:59 pm EST

wish i read it yesterday my dog may still be alive

10 comments
Jul 19, 2012 11:53 am EDT

Dear Pets Mart, You get on average $100.00 to $200.00 of my hard earned money MONTHLY. This feeds, cleans and insures that my pets are healthy. I attempt to have my little dog bathed and clipped twice a month. She has very sensative skin, I attempted to bring in my own OVER THE COUNTER shampoo and was told that I needed a doctors note (get real). Then I was told that they used baby shampoo and you want to charge ME $6.00 extra for them to use BABY SHAMPOO! That by the way is the cost for me to purchase 2 bottles of baby shampoo at a REASONABLY priced store. Does my loyalty and constant contributions to your wealth mean NOTHING! That $6.00 will feed my dog for a week! I am so disgusted with companies such as yours that I am ready to start making my own dog food, bathing and clipping my own dog, selling my fish and tank so that you will never get another cent from me. I am so very disgusted with trying to be nice to thieves!~!

nanuk
Aug 09, 2009 11:53 am EDT

I took my 3 dogs in to Pets Mart to board for a week. I was gone 3 days when I got a phone call one of the dogs was sick and on the way to the emergency vet. No more than 15 minutes later I got a call from the vet saying the dog needed to be put down immediately. Temp was 105-106 and he was blue. Vet thought it was bloat, but some things didn't quite fit. Dog had been throwing up, dogs can't throw up with bloat. Dog had a extremely high fever, dogs don't get fever associated with bloat. Pets Mart said dog was fine an hour prior to the emergency. NO WAY! I have talked to 3 vets now as well as a number of well known dog breeders. None of them believe Pets Marts story. All concur severe heat stroke, and the neglegence of Pets Mart lead to my dogs death. This was a family member who had just turned 4 years old and have just been to my vet, he was a healty, strong and beautiful dog. There is no way he laid in a 3x5 dog kennel and got bloat. Pets Marts story just doesn't work. I called there coporate office in Phoenix. I was told someone would return my call in 3 to 5 days. Well don't hurry. I am seeking legal action with the help of vets and breeders. DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOUR LOVED ONES. NEVER NEVER BOARD YOUR DOGS AT PET'S MART!

chocturtle
chocturtle
n/a, US
Jul 19, 2012 7:46 pm EDT

I love Petco too. I have one 5 minutes from me and I agree they are very kind. I never heard of Pets Mart either, I just looked it up and it doesn't exist so it must be Petsmart.

X
X
XenoMiang
Dallas, US
Jul 19, 2012 7:33 pm EDT

Is there a place called Pets Mart? or do you mean PetSmart? Anyways, yeah I go to Petco ... they've always been super nice to me there and I like the shopability of their stores better ... plus it's right around the block for me.

Jul 19, 2012 12:06 pm EDT

whatthefrenchtoast...get your facts straight before you assult anyone, especially one that just lost a friend! MOST Petsmarts have vet services, Banfield as well as pet hotel, and groomers. I have heard horror stories from customers of all these services. My heart goes out to you. So very sorry liverpoolz that you lost your friend.

Jul 19, 2012 12:02 pm EDT

With a handle that says IPUNCHBABIES of course you would not understand that a DOG = FAMILY! I also am reexaming Pets Mart and their motives. It seems that they have hired a bunch of kids to run the place and expect them to be responsible (no disrespect to the kids that are hard working and responsible)! As for their vets...I have met one or two good ones, the rest appear to be either retired of new the field with no experience. BE AWARE... especially at Pets Mart

groomer
Jan 30, 2010 10:45 pm EST

Some PetSmart stores have Banfield. Banfield is a vet service. They are NOT PetSmart but have a part of the store.
I agree, with any surgery there is a risk, probably a slightly higher risk if the dog is prone to seizures. No one deliberately killed your dog.
I am sorry for your loss and hope your broken heart starts to heal soon.

whatthefrenchtoast
Garden Grove, US
Jan 21, 2010 3:22 pm EST

Sorry to hear about your loss. But, I think you've got your companies mixed up. First of all, Petsmart, doesn't provide any veterinary service. I like said, check to make sure you don't have the companies name mixed up before you make a complaint. Secondly, going under any anesthetic procedure has it's cons, just like with people. My question is: where you aware of the cons before authorizing that procedure on your pet. I don't mean to be a jerk, but we have to be reasonable, and not just point the finger at someone without reasoning.

Aug 10, 2009 11:37 am EDT

OMG, I'm so sorry for your dog!

I didn't even know PetSmart boarded dogs?

It certainly sounds like they are covering up something as the symptoms don't match the diagnosis. Do they do autopsies on dogs? Is there any way to find out what really happened to your dog?

Good luck and keep us posted.

Again, so sorry. Of COURSE our companion animals are part of the family! I'm sure you are grieving for your poor doggie.

Aug 09, 2009 12:35 pm EDT

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss! Sending healing thoughts your way.

I have had problems in past with Petsmart's Vet Section Banfield

11:41 am EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

PetSmart termination

My daughter who has been a faithful employee for Pet Smart, Manager of Pet Care, for over two years was terminated Jan.12, 2010. The way she found this out was going through the morning emails at the beginning of her shift. This is totally unacceptable. The store manager was not even going to be in the store until 10 am that morning. She had an incident a few months back in which she was harassed by one of her subordinates at which time I pressed her to file harrassment charges against this fellow employee. Her manager felt that this was not necassary and that it would be handled at store level. It was not. From that time on they have been setting her up to finally find a wat to get rid of her. I have advised her to take her complaint to the Human Rights Commission in hopes that they can help her. Not to get her job back, but to expose Pet Smart for what they did.

Whatajokelolololol
, CA
Feb 11, 2010 11:19 pm EST

This is such a hilarious misunderstanding.

It's a miracle your daughter lasted as long as she did. In the time she was there she had 8 formal complaints from customers sent to head office. Her managment style resulted in more people quitting or leaving the department than stayed. She expected everyone else to do her work while she spent her time conversing with her guy du jour either on her cell phone (not permitted on the floor) or on the phone, or in person.

She was consistantly rude and ignorant to basically everyone in the store. Complaints were lodged by the majority of the stores employees but to no avail. What is rediculous is that she was never fired for all the complaints that were lodged against her long before her termination.

Oh, and from what I understand about the incident you mention, your daughter made the first innappropriate remark before she recieved one.

The greatest part of all? She walked out after reading about her own termination while reading OTHER MANAGERS EMAILS, not her own.

But that's a very funny take on the situation.

Z
12:39 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I'm really unhappy with petsmart's 'new' way of processing returns. Instead of using online computer methods to expeditate the transactions, they have reverted back to the archaic mehod of paper processing as a 'security' measure for their clients. On Jan 6, I returned a heater. at the time, I was told that it would take a couple of days before I would see...

8:13 am EST

PetSmart inconvenient return refunds

What's up with Petsmart not processing refunds online in their stores anymore? I had an unpleasant time at the Petsmart Pasadena CA store today when I made a return and found they have gone backwards in time and no longer process refunds online. They are now doing it manually so customers are burdened with having to audit their credit card statements to make sure their credit was indeed posted by a Petsmart's night clerk. There are other less expensive stores like Petco, Walmart and Target that sell pet products and treat customers better - so why go through refund inconvenience? I will never shop at Petsmart again.

Read full review of PetSmart and 4 comments

4 comments
Rio
Santa Fe, US
Jul 27, 2010 11:25 pm EDT

They put the consumer more at risk by giving you a receipt with your full credit card number, expiration date, and signature on that return receipt. They can be sued.

rainbeau
Huntsville, US
Mar 12, 2010 10:41 am EST

PETSMART submits your refund immediately. Depending on how fast your bank decides to move, it may take a day, a week, or a month for them to accept the credited refund.

K
K
kristen8183
Feb 19, 2010 2:02 pm EST

I have been waiting a week for my refund from petsmart...they sure do debit your account a WHOLE lot quicker than crediting it!

ShippingFunds
Truro, US
Jan 09, 2010 11:58 pm EST

Before you complain, do some research. PetSmart has acually done this in most of their stores with older software to protect you, ya YOU!. The software that PetSmart is using currently has encryption issues and while they update and purchase new software and get it installed in all stores they are manually doing credit card returns. But people like yourself with no education come online to complain about something you know nothing about. So instead of protecting your credit card information, tell the associate you want to get impersonated online and get thousands of dollars stolen. Ya this is a BIG burden, having a company trying to protect your credit card information. So now look back on that day you returned your items and remember how snappy you were with the cashier trying to make a honest buck, who was trying to protect you and please feel guilty. I am so sick of watching customers like yourself complain and treat employees of stores negatively because you think you are higher than god. Do some research and get some dignity.

9:13 pm EST

PetSmart inconvenient return refunds for customers

What's up with Petsmart not processing refunds online in their stores anymore? I had an unpleasant time at the Petsmart Pasadena CA store today when I made a return and found they have gone backwards in time and no longer process refunds online. They are now doing it manually so customers are burdened with having to audit their credit card statements to make sure their credit was indeed posted by a Petsmart's night clerk. There are other less expensive stores like Petco, Walmart and Target that sell pet products and treat customers better - so why go through Petsmart's refund inconvenience? I WILL NEVER SHOP AT PETSMART AGAIN.

Y
Y
yourface
Washington, US
Jan 06, 2010 8:06 am EST

maybe you should just never return anything to petsmart again... or find out why they are doing it that way. I am sure it is not because it makes their lives eaiser. There must be a reason.

2:54 pm EST

PetSmart mishandling of patient records

I am disgusted and appalled that Dr. Lennard Candela and his staff have intentionally, deliberately, in a reckless and careless fashion returned to his former business partner medical records and x-rays in petsmart shopping carts pushed out to the storefront curb in the blowing wind unsecured. It tells me that peoples pets really are not important to him and that all the money that he made off the backs of caring pet owners was not for the good of the owners and their pets but for selfishness and greed... My pets x-rays and records were included in that display of gross misconduct of a Veterinary Professional... I wonder then what he is doing when no one is watching?

Booooo
Galloway Township, US
Aug 05, 2010 9:24 am EDT

Wow, shopping carts. I'm so appalled. I'm sure people all over the store were just dying to get their hands on pet records. If the doctor picking up the records didn't like it, I think they would've said something ahead of time or hired someone to get them for them, like the President's armed guards. How else do you get records out of a building? Hey, the records were there, not thrown away or ruined. There's much worse out there than that. Get over it. Get another vet. Whatever. Just glad I work at another vet without weirdos like you.

7:36 pm EST

PetSmart injury to my dog from bad grooming

I took my dog in to get groomed and saw petsmart offered nail painting. I knew it was a dumb idea but I was doing it to make a point to my B/F to get the dogs nails clipped on a regular basis. My dog went in at 5:30 & I got a call at 8:30 saying shes ready to be picked up but her nails are bad. I asked what they meant and they said I should just come in and look. I picked up non-acetone nail polish remover on the way just in case. I got there and saw her nails were a disaster. Polish on her fur, the nails weren't fully covered. I asked them why they kept going if the first nail was not working out. They didn't have an answer. I said FIX MY DOGS NAILS. They said they didn't know if they had the remover they needed and they weren't sure if regular non-acetone remover was toxic to the dog. I told them to figure something out that my dogs nails can't stay this way. After 45 min they had sort of removed polish from one foot. I found out they were basically scrubbing her feet with a brush for 45 minutes, I told them to stop torturing my dog and bring her to me. She was so stressed and scared and cold from being in water for so long. I said they had to call their general manager and the head groomer and figure out the safest way to fix my dogs nails and I would be back the next day. I noticed my dog was having a hard time standing up straight and she was limping on her front left foot. I took her to the emergency vet where they said she needed pain meds for overly worked and sore feet. I returned to petsmart where another groomer with better customer service helped me carefully remove the rest of the polish. I left a receipt for the vet to be paid by the store and I asked them to remove the nail polish from their shelves and list of services as they are not properly trained. I have not received reimbursement and the product is still on their list of services. DO NOT GET YOUR PET GROOMED AT PETSMART WOODLAND HILLS. THEY ARE POORLY TRAINED AND EXERCISE POOR JUDGEMENT WITH ANIMAL SAFETY.

Read full review of PetSmart and 4 comments

4 comments
DEAN H.
Los Angeles, US
Sep 23, 2010 9:25 am EDT

WELL YOU'RE AN IDIOT FOR GETTING YOUR DOGS PAINTED... YOU SOUND LIKE A PIECE OF WORK! I HAVE BEEN TAKING MY TWO PUGS THERE FOR 5 YEARS AND AM QUITE HAPPY WITH THEIR SERVICE! GET HELP!

Apr 15, 2010 12:55 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

you complaining about nail polish being unsafe is not going to get petsmart to remove it from their service list. what you probably should have done was dealt with the fact that the nail polish looked bad.. because unless your pet was completely 100% still its impossible for a dogs nails to loook like yours might after being done... and taken your pet home googled whether or not the polish remover was bad for your dog and removed it yourself and saved both you and your pet the trouble.

CrazedKitty
Atlanta, US
Jan 06, 2010 8:11 pm EST

This is like the 3rd complaint from you on 3 different sites! You state right at the beginning that you knew it was a dumb idea, granted maybe there should have been better skill put into the painting, but, COME ON! It's a f*cking dog! Leave the nails alone! You wanted to prove a point to your b/f at the expense of your dog? Let me tell you, your dog suffered just as much getting the damn polish put on as it did getting it off! I feel sorry for your b/f. Seems like you wanted a problem to happen(hence you bought polish remover before coming back, which why didn't you offer it?) so you could take it out on someone since I'm sure your b/f probably wins all your two's spats. GTFO my NETZ!

raineydayrainbow8-0
Plattsburgh, US
Dec 06, 2009 10:35 pm EST

I was just wondering what kind of dog you have? If it was a long haired dog I would have suggested that you not get that service. But if not and they got it all over your dog? I am just not understanding why they wouldn't just stop? Sorry that happened to you, and your little buddy. Normally nail polish comes right off the fur with one bath, even human nail polish. I hope she is ok, and doing better

10:24 am EDT

PetSmart injury to my dog

I made an appointment for my dog for grooming. They told me none off the people that have groomed her previously are working there anymore. I explained I wanted the most experienced person to take care of her, she has been hurt be a previous groomer. They set it up with the grooming manager. While I was talking to them I heard a dog yelping several times but didn. t think anything of it at the time. Later, when I went back to complain about my dog's injury and told him of the yelping I heard when I was setting up the appointment, the store manger stated that happens all the time. I have been using the grooming dept. for about 2 years and except for the cut was a little short or she still looked and smelled dirty after her grooming I never complained. The girl that took her in looked her over then proceeded to try and up sale me with a different kind of shampoo. I said no. About 20 minutes later the manager called me stated she would be working on Mitzi and again try to up sell me. again I said no, I told them I could bring her shampoo in that I had purchased at their store she said that was not allowed (I was able to do this before). Four hours later she was done. When I picked Mitzi up there was no one working in the dept. except for guy that carried her to me. I carried her out. I went next door to visit my daughter I put Mitzi down to walk we noticed she was limping. My daughter said maybe they clipped her toe nails too short. I chalked it up to that. I had errands to do so I just carried her everywhere with me. We got home several hours later I noticed sje was limping very badly. I called the groomer told them she was limpimg and asked if anything had happened during the groom. They said no the manager had done the grooming but wasn't there right now, and if it persisted bring her back in and they would have the Banfield Vet look at her. I bought her in 2 hours later she seemed to be getting worse. I told the grooming manager she jumped down my throat "We didn't do anything wrong she was fine when they had her and she wasn't the one grooming her anyway" she said she would talk with the store manger. First she spoke with him out in the parking lot and he came in looked at Mitzi said he would have Banfield check her out I explained I could go to my vet it would probably be cheaper. he explained Petsmart would be responsible for the bill and he gave his signature as authorization. While I was waiting for the vet the store manager went into speak with the grooming manager. I could hear her shouting obscenities and looking in my direction. She denied even grooming Mitzi. While I was waiting I start feeling Mitzi's paw I had looked all over the bottom of her paw, nothing. Then I felt a big red inflamed bump on the top of her paw (it turned out to be a cyst0. I later found out it can happen genetically or through an extreme injury. They had used a razor on her paw to cut the hair. They never use scissors always a razor for everything. I called the manager back out and explained there is no way they would have missed this big bump during washing her or especially during shaving the hair down on her paw. They are very careful with checking dogs in, that there is nothing wrong that they could be responsible for. Mitzi wasn't limping when she went in. The manager asked didn't I notice when they walked her out to me? I said they carried her out to me. he said they never do that for this such reason. He went back and spoke with the guy who check her out. He said, she had been sleeping and he didn't want to disturb her and with the other grooming going on he didn't want her to get dirty again walking through the hair on the floor. There was no grooming going on and the floor had just been swept completely when I was there. The vet said she had a cyst and an infection she geve me medicine to give to Mitzi for the next two weeks she asked if I wanted a Rx for her constant itching I said no, that I thought Petmart would only pay for current paw problem she said it's ok they have signed and agreed to pay for this visit I said ok and got the medicine. I must have asked the vet 2-3 times if Petsmart was going to be responsible for this bill, each time the vet said yes. Later I received a call from the Vet stating I owed $150 for the visit. I said Petsmart promised to pay for it.
They are denying their at fault. We went back and forth I explained I never signed anything saying I was responsible. I went in to talk to the store manager and I explained I am sure there are people out there that would take advantage and knowing that their dog was hurt try and blame it on the groomer, but I was not one of those people. I told him they have safe guards in place when they check the dog in they examined her thoroughly, while washing her or shaving the fur there is no way they would have missed that big cyst on her paw. They know they are at fault they just don't want to step up and take responsibility for it. She had to have made an awful yelp when it happened. and they tried to cover it up and make me responsible for it. That is what makes me the maddest, first they injure my dog and then they try and blame me for it. I should have asked for my grooming fee back, but I didn't. When I asked to get the regional manager, the store manager called and said they were willing to split the bill with me and give me their discount so I would only owe $50. I told them no. I have not heard from Petsmart or Banfield since then. Hopefully it has been taken care of.
I would warn anyone that wants to take their dog to Petsmart in Ventura not to do it if you love your dog. Petsmart grooming has a big turn over when it comes to their employees. They have had at least 3-4 managers and I don't recognize any of the groomers there are different faces every few months. That's got to say something about the work place. I wish I will never take her back to the groomers at Petsmart now she is afraid to go to any groomer I have to try and do it myself. I had gone to Petsmart almost monthly for the past 2 years now I won't even go in there to buy a dog bone.

2 comments
groomrgirl
York Springs, US
Jan 19, 2010 9:53 pm EST

I don't think you should judge a groomer by where they work. Petsmart has its good groomers and its bad ones. I think you should let your dog decide what groomer he likes and go from there. Grooming is a very difficult job and to see a dog on the table shake is natural. The dog is scared. Wouldn't you be scared if you were dropped off where you had no clue where you were at the people didn't speak your language and you don't know what is going to happen to you. It is like a alien on a new planet. I recommend when you drop your dog off don' t get upset if they are nervous the first time. Alot of times the dogs feeds off you and if you say "all its ok" it is like telling them its ok to be scared. Then it just makes it worse.When you pick them up check them over make sure that everything is alright. Let the groomer know what you think. I good groomer becomes better from learning from mistakes. If you were happy ask for the same groomer. When you go back next time pay attention to how your dog is bahaving. Is he more nervous or better. If he is acting worse when you go to drop him off than the first time there I would be wondering why. He should be a little more comfortable the second time since he has already been there and knows what is going to happen. Just remember not to praise him when he is scared.

Westie Mom
Dec 15, 2009 1:32 pm EST

I have had my dogs both get skin infections from Petsmart groomers that were very difficult to clear up. My vet assistant said that she once worked there and that they do not sanitize their clippers between dogs, as they should always do. She said taht she could not recommend them. I have not gone back. My dog is way over do for his grooming and because his hair is so long and he is in need of 'the works' I am a bit nervous about taking him back there. I have heard bad things about Petsmart and Petco as well. I did hire a mobile groomer but she knew nothing about how to groom a Westie, so I haven't called them again.

I wish there was a reliable groomer in my area (that I knew about) that I could take my dogs to. It's very sad. Is it really that difficult to groom dogs with caring and integrity? Even the vet's onsight groomer was caught drying off a dog with a box fan rather than a true dryer that would dry them with warmer air, and when I walked in and saw it, she said that the dog 'had issues' with the warm dryer. It was shivering and whining. I have never gone back there either. My advice is, if you have found a good, reliable, safe and compassionate groomer for your dogs, keep them!

8:12 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

You hire very rude people in your store!!! I will never shop there ever again!! Who is running these stores? Weren't customers right, wasn't that the way owners used to run a bussiness? We had no idea the store was closing, one of the employees just stood there staring at us? Then she went on to say "we are closed" very rudely! Then the cashier had an...

Read full review of PetSmart and 7 comments
9:28 pm EDT

PetSmart guinea pigs

I've bought 4 guinea pigs at this store. The first one dropped dead at a 1 and a half year old. One morning we went to feed her and she was already gone! The next one I got was fine at first then I noticed she was urinating a lot and drinking a lot of water. I took her to the vets and it turned out she has diabetes, she was 9 months old. At this point she seems to be doing fine with her medicine and special diet. The 3rd one I got wasn't eating properly, she kept her head tilted while eating and she lost weight. I took her to the vet and she had malocclusions of the teeth they told me the best thing to do would be to put her to sleep. I only had her for 2 months. She was 4 months old. The 4th one I got, soon after I got her had a cold I didn't think she was going to make it. After several weeks of worrying she finally got better and I still have her. I also got a hamster from this store that only lived to be 4 months old because she had a cold and didn't recover.

We are a family who care very much about our pets and treat them like a member of the family. There have been pets purchased from local non chain pet stores that have lived normal lives, and given us years of enjoyment. As a matter of fact the first pair of guinea pigs we’ve purchased was from one of these non chain stores, and we kept one of the babies from the litter and he lived to be 6 years old. I find it interesting that none of my other guinea pigs have lived passed 3 years of age that have been purchased at chain pet stores.

2 comments
WTHReally?
Detroit, US
Aug 17, 2010 6:16 pm EDT

Petsmart and Petco use the same vendors. You can look it up on line. It's called Rainbow exotics.

Troy, US
Apr 25, 2010 7:48 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

this is the first complaint i actually believe. It sounds like a vendor issue with Petsmart. Sometimes pet vendors will knowingly push things out that they know is not 100% a quality pet. Petsmart also does not have high standards in their vendors like PETCO does. Now i'm not saying that PETCOs animals are better because you could be at a petsmart that uses the same vendor PETCO does. I remember when there was a bird recall or something due to a disease and it was traced back to all of petsmarts vendors the article mentioned it use to be PETCOs vendor but they parted ways when PETCO came in to do their surprise inspection a few years earlier and the vendor failed.

1:42 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I left my dog Mandy at the Pet hotel in Columbia Maryland. Mandy is a very shy dog. She is as sweet as a dog can be. Even though she is a small dog I put her in the suite ($41.00) per day. I added the individual playtime since she is only a 20 pound dog and the group play areas seemed too rough for her. We arrived to drop off Mandy and since I had been...

Read full review of PetSmart and 5 comments
7:22 pm EDT

PetSmart deadly service

Sep 04, 2009 8:42 am EDT

I'm sorry for your loss. Pet Smart doesn't seem to have a good reputation. Maybe next time you can find a pet sitter..?

3:30 pm EDT

PetSmart unauth use of chem hair removal

dog groomed 6/09/a=used chemical to remove dog hair/dog has had allergy for yrs but PS has no records for past 4yrs/german shep looks like wire dog/did not agreed to any such treatment/mgmt staff rude, hungup, gave no ans. for missing files nor chem use/abuse of my pet unacceptable.

recd coupon on 8/22/09 for furminator.. reduce shedding is what was used on my sheba w/o regard for her history of allergies to plastic, sprays etc. that they has but can't find/they show 6/09 as my only visit and no charge for the treatment... how convenient for them.. I need someone to help me and my sheba... photos can be sent later.

ptsmrtgrmr
phx, US
Aug 24, 2010 3:53 am EDT

for anyone who cares furminator is a lo shed system that helps to remove lose or dead hair by using a HYOALLERGENIC solution of aloe oatmeal vitamins a and e and other non-abrasive and soap free ingredients to stimulate the folicule and release the lose or dead hair making it easier to remove with the deshedding tools advertised. most likely this dogs groomer or bather got carried away during the brushing. this is what concerns me the most of all. get a clue all you groomers out there it takes skill and consideration for pets and their owners to be a truly successful and profitable pet stylist.

Terrashuman
Fredericksburg, US
Feb 09, 2010 7:53 pm EST

I can't really understand anything that you wrote but if you recieved the furminator treatment then they use a deShedding solution. I noticed its posted on a sign in the petsmart shop near me. Also if you look on their site its advertized "A premium service that includes a low-shed shampoo followed by an application of deShedding™ solution plus up to 30 minutes of brushing with the FURminator tool." Like the poster before me, write your complaint so it is readable. I don't understand why a dog with severe allergies would be sent to a petsmart or petco for grooming. Please take your dog to a vet for grooming, that seems like a medical issue if it is really that bad. :(

groomerwhits24
Allegan, US
Oct 19, 2009 4:09 am EDT

Please try again, and this time, please write in full, English language sentences. Complaining in "text" really detracts from the validity of your claim.

9:19 pm EDT

PetSmart sick mice

My neice bought three mice (as pets) from petsmart and had them for two months when they displayed various symptoms (self mutilization of skin and eyes, eye discharge, and respiratory symptoms). these were her pets so, we contacted an exotic vet and made an appointment. the mice were treated for possible mite infestation and given antibiotics (baytril). the mice never reponded to the antibiotics and they never had mites to begin with. eventually they had to be euthanized. autopsies were performed and it showed that two had the sendai virus and one had sialodacryoadenitis, which are highly contagious diseases. petsmart buys from breeders who must not immunize thier colonies and the baby mice appear healthy for awhile until the dormant virus rears its ugly head and slowly but surely kills them. petsmart will buy from the lowest bidder and the health of the mice is not considered because most customers use them as feeders for snakes. my neice was devestated and we spendt $950 trying to get her pet mice well. these mice didn't stand a chance being that were virus infested and probably inbred. to those who buy feeders "be careful" because sick mice =sick snakes!

Read full review of PetSmart

7:36 pm EDT

PetSmart horrible grooming manager

I used to work at Petsmart but quit because of how rude and # the manager was there. She would boss around all of the other groomers and bathers and give nasty looks or make remarks when things weren't goin her way. She thought she was so much better then the rest of us but look around you honey you have no friends and every one talks about you in the store behind your back they're just afraid to say it to your face. It was a BS job and I'm so glad a quit so I'd never have to see her again. And she acted like she was "all about policy and procedure in front of cliets and mangers", but when the ppl in the salon were just there, it was all put to waste! Bernadette you treat everyone like hell and you know it!
* Never take your dog to her she is the worst

groomer_mom
Dec 21, 2010 1:45 am EST

I am a groomer and in my expirence there is no reason for what is happening to these dogs... do not go to petco i have heard way too many horror stories about there groomers.. always talk with ur groomer before leaving them these are your babies and u deserve to know that they will be safe when u are not there

Troy, US
Apr 25, 2010 7:28 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

this is great. A employee that was probably fired because she cannot follow directions and was insubordinate. I love the employees that hate being told what to do. They come in thinking they know all and whats best for everyone and whats best for business. This employee could have went to the GM or even called the HOT line. Another thing is when your at work, your their to work, not make friends. You don't know anything about her personal life and if you do my mistake.

Apr 15, 2010 12:56 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

apparently you didn't have the guts to tell her to her face either?... considering youre posting this online.

10:02 pm EDT

PetSmart recent commercial

Don't like the way the puppy is obviously shoved across the floor in the commercial. The poor thing looks scared, his ears are down, that's a sign of fright.

Aug 04, 2009 12:53 pm EDT

Got a link to the commercial? I haven't seen it.

12:58 pm EDT

PetSmart dog discrimination

We got Harley for free from a women who didn't want the puppies from her dog's litter. He didn't have his first round of shots at six weeks, he didn't have his tail or ears docked, or his dew claws removed. He was just a mutt puppy who lived under a shed. But those blue eyes, red hair, and spots made him a darn cute mutt puppy. ;)

Since we've owned Harley, he has become an inside dog. He lives in an air conditioned apartment, and he gets trips to the park. He's allowed on the couch and the bed (during the day) and has bunches of toys to chew on and to play with. He's very smart. Harley learned "sit" in half an hour followed by "stay", "shake", "high five", and "lay down". He picked up all of those in an afternoon, easily.

We've gotten him all of his shots (about $75), and recently had to pay $600 because he swallowed a fish hook on the sidewalk at the park. He's even gone to be groomed already, even if he is a short haired dog.

My point to all of this is that while Harley might have been just a free mutt, that doesn't mean that I don't love him any less because he doesn't have papers, and he's not AKC registered. He's just a good a friend as a dog who's been breed from the finest of the fine. He learns just as quick. He doesn't bark (literally), and he loves me back. Harley is still a good dog, no matter where he comes from.

Just because Harley is a Pit Bull doesn't mean HE is mean. Pit Bulls are just dogs who, like other breeds, when treated unfairly, will loose trust in people and defend themselves. They're just built stronger and tougher. If you treat them like crap, they'll end up treating you like crap. I don't run an underground dog fighting ring. I don't teach him to be a guard dog. He doesn't even understand the concept of being mean.

And now, when I want to finally pay to have my dog socialized with other dogs, when I want my baby to go have fun with other puppies, I'm not allowed. He's a "bully breed". PetSmart's Doggy Day Care says they screen all dogs before hand to make sure they're well tempered enough to be around other dogs. But if they're a "Bully Breed" or wolf/ wolf hybrid mix, they don't even get the shot. Aside from the fact that he doesn't even LOOK like a pit bull (definitely more Blue Heeler), and never once, since I've EVER owned him has he demonstrated any mean characteristics. Even so, a dog is still a dog, and if someone is willing to pay that much money to let their dog just HAVE FUN, chances are they also care enough about them to make sure that they're well trained and tempered.

Now, my mother was bitten by a pit bull when she was younger, so I too was raised as "Pit Bulls are bad. Don't play with them, you'll get bitten." So I understand more than anyone the bad rep that pit bulls get and how people would be nervous around them. I guess that it's just another reflection of small minded-ness that apparently rules our world. But if my dog didn't try to attack you (except maybe lick you to death), then he's not gonna suddenly get red eyes and slobbering jowls and huge teeth.

I just want my puppy to be treated well. That's all.

Naticia
Pearland, US
Oct 26, 2009 7:31 pm EDT

WOW! I work at Petsmart as a groomer and I can honestly say that all the pits that come in my salon are the sweetest, biggest, teddy bears. I've only met 2 pits out in the store that were trouble out of the thousands that come there, and those 2 were never socialized and kept in the back yard as junk yard dogs. Everyone in my store knows that we'd have a bigger possibility of being bitten by a chihuahua or poodle before we got bitten by a pit. And as for that trainer...how dare she even call herself one? She's not educated enough to be throwing accusations about breeds around like that. Cocker spanials are more viscious than pits. The only problem is you'll never find a story on the 6 o'clock news about somebody being mauled by a chihuahua...the breed that bites the most. Yes, the pit is a very strong breed...but that doesn't make them bad. Just makes the people who make them that way bad. I feel really bad for you guys. Pits are awsome and I'm so sick and tired of people acting like they are soooo scared of a big bouncy, wagging tail, licky face, overgrown lap dogs as they clutch their little Coach bags with their little Yorkie named Chanel in it. Mind you...Chanel just got through biting the groomers face and that groomer ended up having to go to the emergency room with 3 puncture wounds in her cheek. Go figure!

love4pitts
Spencer, US
Sep 25, 2009 8:41 pm EDT

Tonight my husband and I went into Petsmart to purchase some items. While we were there there was a training class going on. We own two Pitbulls that are both CGC Certified and very well tempered..While we were standing right in front of this woman and her whole class (looking at leashes), she decided to tell the class how bad Pitbulls were and that they were all mean dogs..how she almost had her "face ripped off" by one and so didnt her mother..She told her class to stay away from them all. My husband and I did all we coould to walk away and not cause a scene. It is people like her that give these dogs a bad reputation and it is not fair. After the class got out, most people in the store were terrified of my dogs and made it obvious that we were bothering them. I have never felt so uncomfortable in a store in my life. If Petsmart values there customers I suggest that they respect them and stop feeding customers wrong information about specific breeds that they obviously know nothing about.

Rebecca432
Atlanta, US
Aug 20, 2009 11:35 am EDT

I agree with you. That's just ridiculous. All Pit Bulls are not mean. It all depends on how they're raised. I'm sick of the stereotyping and rules against them.

1:31 pm EDT

PetSmart dog grooming

We recently took our Yorkie to have her groomed at the Petsmart in West Hills, CA., (after a period of time had elapsed since the last injury to my dog).

We always buy our supplies from this Petsmart and had taken her for grooming about a year ago. At that time, we received a call from them that she had been rushed to the vet and needed four stitches to close a wound under her front leg. While they where quick to pay the bill (at their vet) we never received any apologies and no longer took her there for grooming. Over the next year we tryed to find a new groomer and where not satisfied for several reasons.in addition she now required extra care as she would shake and pant everytime. She did not do this before the stitches.

Recently we decided to try the same Petsmart as we still buy all our products there for two dogs and two parrots. When my wife dropped off the dog she was greeted by rudeness and unprofessionalism but decided to leave her there with specific care instructions. We received a call about 4 hours later that they where taking my dog to the vet and that she was bleeding bad from a dew claw that they had cut too short. The vet (Banfield) was rude and more tentitive to Petsmarts needs (the bill) than ours.

My dog received two stitches in the pad of her foot and was sent home. No apology from Petsmart. We where told to bring her back in a couple of days to have the stitches removed. When we went back to have the stitches removed, Banfield told us she needed to keep them in for another week and that she had been licking them when we weren, t looking. She would need a collar to keep her from licking the wound. They tried to charge me for the collar and eventually gave me one that weighed more than she did. She is only four pounds and is rarely out of our site. She never has ever licked the stitches. I don't think there was anyone there that day to take out the stitches so they made this excuse.

I called the main offices and was told I would hear from someone in a couple of days to discuss this matter and get approval to take her to my own vet. That was ten days ago and I have yet to hear from them.

DO NOT TAKE YOUR PET TO PETSMART! This is not a frivolous complaint.

If you would like to contact me with more info I can be reached a [protected]@socal. rr.com

Manicinsanity
Westchester, US
May 23, 2010 10:32 pm EDT

I am so sorry to hear this... I am a groomer at PetSmart (I just found this site and decided to see complaints about the company I'm working for) and I completely understand where you are coming from. I'm not just a groomer who paid for my own training elsewhere from the company, I'm also and animal welfare activist and besides regular doggie clients at my job I also groom/trim nails on the rescues and many dogs who've had horrible grooming experiences whether with this company or others. It really pisses me off reading stories like yours (not because of you, but because of what happened) because these things are so easily avoidable, injuries to animals are rare if you just take safety precautions! The worst I've ever done is quick a dog's nail by accident (which the sight of dog blood makes me sick to the stomach so it's rare and I explain to the owner, apologize profusely and give them a baggie of kwik stop in case it starts). Even with something so small as that I MONITOR the pet to make sure nothing is serious! This is why I don't understand why other groomers don't and I can't stand the attitude of many PetSmart "pet stylists." You are bringing your baby, your furry child to them and yes, dogs can be difficult at times, it's not an easy job but there is never an excuse to have a dog that injured and to be rude! My dogs mean the world to me and I've had bad experiences with vets before so I understand the frustration and anger.

Again I am so sorry to hear this and I hope your yorkie is feeling a lot better and I hope you don't lose faith in all of us groomers out there!

Overview of PetSmart customer experience

Petsmart has been receiving a lot of negative feedback from customers lately. Many have complained about the poor quality of their products, with some even reporting that their pets have become sick after using them. Others have expressed frustration with the company's customer service, citing long wait times and unhelpful representatives. Additionally, some customers have reported issues with Petsmart's online ordering system, including delayed shipments and incorrect orders. Overall, it seems that Petsmart has a lot of work to do in order to improve their products and services and regain the trust of their customers.
Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

PetSmart contacts