Menu
PetSmart Customer Service Phone, Email, Contacts

PetSmart
reviews and complaints

www.petsmart.com

Learn how the rating is calculated

4.3 3046 Reviews

How responsive is PetSmart's customer service?

96 Resolved
542 Unresolved
Poor 🫤
PetSmart is a rare visitor on ComplaintsBoard, so the pace of resolving complaints leaves much to be desired. We believe they should spend more time and effort on reviews to naturally grow customer loyalty. As for reviewers, we'd advise carefully reading existing reviews to understand what to expect. It's also helpful to go through the few complaints that PetSmart has already resolved to get a clear picture of their customer interaction and potential challenges in resolving your personal issue.
Verified
The authenticity of the customer service contact information for PetSmart has been meticulously verified by representatives from ComplaintsBoard using our proprietary verification system.
Claim Your Business
Take control of your profile: address complaints and engage with reviews
Write a review File a complaint

PetSmart reviews and complaints 658

Sort by:

Newest PetSmart reviews and complaints

11:31 am EST

PetSmart poor shipping/packaging

They packaged my order of 1 gallon of Get Serious pet cleaner very poorly. It was placed in a box too large with absolutely no cushioning and no tape around the mouth/top of the container to prevent leaking. When the UPS man brought it to the door, it apparently tipped over inside the box. I saw it gushing out of the sealed box. It ruined the other items inside. They did refund my purchase after I let them know about the incident, but I would have appreciated an apology for the inconvenience since it was their poor packaging that caused the problem. It appears that they take their customers' business for granted. Although I have been a loyal customer for several years, I will probably not be shopping there anymore in the future.

Read full review of PetSmart and 2 comments
Update by mjsmom05
Jan 23, 2013 2:55 pm EST

I heard back from Petsmart and the second customer service representative much more customer-focused. I explained that due to our location (we live 5 hours from the closest Petsmart) we have to order items such as the one above online. We are currently in the process of house training two puppies, and I was counting on getting the item I ordered to help with that process. When it arrived ruined/wasted (plus ruining the other items in the order) it was very inconvenient. It was apparently due to carelessness by the shipping department. Margaret, the customer service representative, apologized for the inconvenience, and said that she would forward my concerns to the shipping department. It makes me feel valued as a customer to receive a simple, "Sorry for the inconvenience." It does wonders to make a customer feel as though their business is valued. I will keep shopping at Petsmart thanks to Margaret.

2 comments
MicJ61
Jul 12, 2010 12:42 pm EDT

I have 4 dogs that I have taken to Petsmart since 2008! The cutting is not very good, but I like the store manager and it is close by! Ever since they started going I have left strict instructions not to cut thier tails cut at all. It is the puppy hair that has been with them since day one! My daughter took my Lilo and dropped her off, When they came home my babies tail was gone! She had 2 to 3 inches of curly silky hair! I called immediately and was told by the CHOP HAPPY GROOMER LISA that it did state not to cut her tail, she apologized and got the grooming manager. When the lackluster lady got on the phone she again apologized and told me since they couldn't actually put the tail back on I could have a free grooming! WHY ON EARTH WOULD I ACCEPT A FREE GROOMING FROM A CHOP SHOP THAT I NEVER, EVER PLAN ON STEPPING INTO AGAIN! LISA YOU ARE AWFUL!

midge87
Seattle, US
Jul 29, 2010 10:13 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

...Why would you continue to bring your dogs somewhere you don't like? You say they're not good yet are surprised when they do a bad job. O.o
You also claim to like the grooming manager yet then go on to call her names.
Also, labeling this as "Petsmart.com" makes no sense considering the website didn't groom your pets.

1:52 pm EST

PetSmart severly injured pet during routine checkup

We brought our dog to Banfield Vet, Petsmart, for a routine teeth cleaning. The Dr called to recommend 9 teeth be extracted, otherwise Ginger would have severe future health problems. After surgery, pain meds and antibiotics were administered for pain, but Ginger still was not eating or drinking and had began coughing/choking. 2 days later, we took her in to be evaluated, an xray was taken and more pills were given, they said they would call with results in a few days. 4 days after surgery, the coughing and not eating or drinking became so severe, we took her to a Vet Hospital. They took their own xrays and kept Ginger under close monitoring for 5 hours, the result is a torn trachea from the tubing inserted into the dogs throat during surgery to keep the animal from choking, ensuring the air passage is clear. We have been charged for all the services, even the re-visit during distress. throughout all of this, none of the Drs called to check in on her, nor were they sympathetic upon further evaluation of her condition.
We have been ignored by the corporate office and the local store for 4 months. Well, not ignored... if we call and ask what is the status of our request for reimbursement for botched-services, they tell us to come in to review to case... I am sure today, when we go to review the case and files, we will be told that our comments and review will be sent back to corporate for review and evaluation. AND AROUND WE GO! Meanwhile, Ginger is unable to swallow due to extensive scar tissue, cannot drink water with out choking. She may also need reconstructive surgery to her throat and neck bones.

5:23 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

PetSmart rude belligerent store manager

My husband and I were shopping with our dog today at the Petsmart on East Grant Rd, Tucson, AZ, and had training treats to reinforce good behavior with us. We were suddenly approached by the manager and told to leave. He asked us no questions. He said, "You can't train your dog here. You'll have to leave the store." I told him that we visit the store every week to buy food and toys and that we always train him as we walk through the store. He said, "No, you'll have to leave. You can't train your dog here. It's store policy. We have dog obedience classes here and what you're doing is like grooming your dog in the back of the store, when we have a grooming service here." I said, "We aren't trainers. This is our pet, and we're only socializing him." He was relentless. He went on and on and seemed so agitated, as if there had been a slew of professional dog trainers coming in with clients and their dogs. Yet, he never asked us who we were, nor did he approach us with any kind of courtesy.
Finally, we put back the food we were about to purchase and said we'd never shop at Petsmart again. It didn't seem to bother him at all, but he did say that we could stay if we weren't professionals. I thought, Now why would I want to buy anything from a store that had a manager who would verbally accost a customer without asking any questions?!
It also occurred to me that dog trainers don't sell food. So, why would the store not welcome anyone who wishes to purchase store items and reinforce good dog behavior?!
The whole experience was a stunning example of failed customer service. This manager has lost the company thousands of dollars from a heretofore great customer.

Read full review of PetSmart and 15 comments
Oct 30, 2012 10:17 pm EDT

Thanks, BobbieA.

I wish PetSmart would do something about the manager who has been so rude and hostile to many former customers. However, there might be a company culture that doesn't care, or even encourages such behavior. I've written to the company to let them know of the problem. I hope they have re-retrained the manager, or transferred him to another position--one that doesn't involve customer service.

No, I haven't been to the Pet Club on the northwest side, but the Pet Club and PetCo stores in midtown are very pleasant and they welcome dogs in training with enthusiasm. I often have my dog do a few tricks for them just for fun.

Good luck to you.

Oct 30, 2012 6:34 pm EDT

BobbieA, Tasha10 is a troll.

Maybe this "Tasha10" guy doesn't get email notifications when someone comments on a complaint, but I do. I'm glad that you shared your experience.

There are friendlier pet food stores in town where shopping isn't an unpleasant experience.

Oct 29, 2012 6:25 pm EDT

Nope. I don't have a great Dane. Moreover, the commenter doesn't write like me.

PetSmart at Grant and Swan in Tucson, AZ has a bad reputation for alienating people. I'm glad that others are reading my story and telling theirs.

It's been nice shopping at other local stores and being welcomed as I train my dog and shop.

Oct 28, 2012 11:47 pm EDT

It is very sad that you were treated with such hostility. It is a flagrant demonstration of rudeness and unprofessional behavior.
Yes, tell all of your dog owner friends to shop at nicer stores. No store should treat its patrons with such disregard.

They clearly don't understand the dog communication and didn't know what to do.

Best of luck at any OTHER store than PetSmart.

Oct 03, 2012 9:24 am EDT

Oh, wait...You meant: l e a s h!

Oct 03, 2012 9:20 am EDT

Well, I called PetSmart and spoke with a representative who was astonished that my husband and I had been treated so poorly. As she wrote up the complaint, I could hear her reactions and surprise. She apologized several times for Joe the manager's behavior. We are getting somewhere and we'll see if there is any more feedback.

BTW, Tasha10, "leaches" aren't used very much these days. Although, I have heard they are been used as temporary, artificial veins after reattachment of fingers . Oh, and it's l e e c h e s, kind of like you on this site...

Oct 01, 2012 10:49 am EDT

Thanks, Iron Muffin. Noted.
There was a woman listening, and get this, he continued his tirade and stopped next to the store training center where there were people and their dogs who could hear!
He was coming unglued. It felt like a social ambush.
I just hope this isn't a corporate culture from the top down. I've also contacted all of the rescue groups who have events at this store, to let them know that they are losing good prospective adopters because of this bad behavior.

Oct 01, 2012 10:32 am EDT

Yes, M3C Slimjim, I looked at "descates'" comments. This person seems to live to disparage the postings of others.

What I should do is apologize for calling Tasha10 an idiot. That's not polite. She's probably not an idiot. She's just angry and projecting her own issues onto me. Plus, she doesn't know anything about diplomacy, respectful discourse, or proper customer service techniques, or me. That's just ignorance.

Again, commenting on someone's ignorance is not an attack. Being ignorant means: "Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated"--from Dictionary.com.

Oct 01, 2012 9:35 am EDT

Thank you, Gerry21. I'll give them a call. My husband wrote them a letter yesterday and we'll see what kind of response we get. I can't imagine any company that would encourage rude and belligerent behavior as was exhibited by Joe the manager at PetSmart on Grant and Swan in Tucson.

We were using PetSmart clickers, for goodness sake!

We were briefly reinforcing 'sit' with our dog while holding dog food to buy. The manager suddenly came up with a chip on his shoulder, assuming we were professional trainers (as if there's anything wrong with that. Think about it), and he was wrong. We've since learned that people who used to shop there (buying hundreds of dollars worth of food per week--those dastardly pro trainers!) will no longer go there.

The whole point of this board is to inform other shoppers of problems.

The company could also learn that the proper response to someone they think might be poaching clients away from their dog training classes would be to politely approach and ask questions. They'd soon learn that they had misinterpreted the situation and would have avoided making a costly business mistake. This is basic customer service 101. To comment on someone's ignorance about customer service is not an attack--just the clear truth.

I don't know about a reward, MC3 Slimjim, but, I did find a friendly and welcoming new store to shop at! I'll follow through on this, because other people have had problems with them.

Thanks to all for your thoughts.

Oct 01, 2012 8:23 am EDT

In the past, we were invited to come and socialize and train our dogs anytime. In fact, we were using Petsmart clickers given to us after taking a class with them years ago.
I see, your idea of customer service is to treat customers as adversaries. Let's see: Assume something bad that isn't really, tell the customer to leave without asking any questions, chase them away, and feel good about losing thousands more per year because of those darn professional dog trainers (and anyone might be one if they ask their dog to sit while shopping) who used to come in and buy hundreds of dollars worth of food per week.
Yeah, that'll really bring in the buyers...
You, too, must be a company shill. But, you're also ignorant of customer service.
We drove over to a competitor after this debacle and were enthusiastically invited to visit and train our dogs anytime! Now that's how it's done!

Sep 30, 2012 11:20 pm EDT

@ Tasha10
Oh, a company shill, and, another bully.

You don't have a clue. It was the company's policy to welcome all dog owners to walk and train their dogs as they looked to purchase items in the past. They did this for years and we spent thousands per year there.
A loyal customer is first cultivated by a loyal, friendly, courteous and professional business person, not by a manager who assumes the worst (that we might be professional trainers) and kicks us out on a wrong assumption.

You're an idiot, Tasha10. Stay out of retail.

15 comments
H
H
Hogwarts Student Zachary
Orange, US
Oct 30, 2012 9:31 pm EDT

Thanks william for making us all vomit.

maj james
Oct 30, 2012 9:16 pm EDT

Board Mod = Fake. Not even a nice try tasha. Isn't there a ### forum you should be haunting dude?

Oct 30, 2012 9:12 pm EDT

You know what sending your dogs to obedience school(and some of you humans can go as well middleborntriplet is whom I am referring to. Your dogs would be more than welcome to the store. I bet you are leaving bits of information out such as your dog was disobedient.

Oct 30, 2012 9:11 pm EDT

I bet you also believe they photo shoped the video camrea to make your b**** look guilty.

Oct 30, 2012 9:10 pm EDT

Also let me guess, they photo shopped the evidence on camera to make your dog look like the villain. Well assuming your dog is female. Your b**ch is the cause of all the problems.

Oct 30, 2012 9:09 pm EDT

I agree with Tasha here, it is your dog that is the problem.

Oct 30, 2012 9:09 pm EDT

Just face it it is your dog that is a problem. Your [censored](assuming it is female is the one that started it and they have it on tape. Let me guess they bagged with the evidence. Photoshoped it and made you look guilty.

Oct 30, 2012 9:08 pm EDT

Bobbie, I agree with Tasha, they would not kick your dog out of the store unless the dog was misbehaving. Face it your ### is the problem(assuming it is a female dog).

Board mod
Darien, US
Oct 30, 2012 9:05 pm EDT

I would like to confirm that according to our records BobbieA and LInda5680 have the same IP address which means they are posting from the same computer. Funny how two people who don't know each other live in the same house.

BobbieA
Tucson, US
Oct 30, 2012 6:57 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Linda, thank you for sharing too. Hopefully our experiences will come to PetSmart's attention and they will address it. Have you been to the Pet Club on Oracle and River? They are friendly and dogs are more than welcome!

8:22 pm EDT

PetSmart pethotel

Our puppy is a large 1.5 yr old German Shephard and has stayed at the PetHotel numerous times. We picked him up yesterday with no progress report and no complaints. Today we recieved a call (7:45pm) from the PetHotel Manager, Valerie, stating that our dog can no longer be kenneled at the PetHotel and on top of that the policy is that he is banned for life from all area PetsMarts. The reason provided was that he was too energetic to handle. Really? Petsmart has reassurred us that he is in no way aggressive but that he has too much energy. When asked if there was any way for him to be 'reinstated' after i.e. training, maturity (afterall still is an oversized puppy), we were told that the decision was final and not up for discussion. Our minds are spinning because in no way has any communication ever been given that he was too much to handle. All previous progress reports all indicate what an amiable dog he is, kisses, smiley faces, etc... Only during this last reservation did I remotely find out over the phone that they think he would do better with one on one play versus group play... and that was me being proactive about the discussion. Needless to say, we are completely blindsided by this... not to mention completely disappointed with the way our family dog has been handled... or lack thereof. I'm still waiting on the 'ban for life' policy to be faxed to me and I understand 'right to refuse' but it just seems so unprofessional to make a quick phone call and say your rambunctious dog is banned for life. PetsMart PetHotel lacked the professional courteous and communication skills in this instance. And how strange is it that he would be banned for life without discussion? I'm sure there are some great workers out there, but maybe PetsMart should be questioning their own hires as to why they presumably cannot handle a large puppy. (I would like to point out that this dog lives indoors with 3 kids under the age of 8)... NEWS FLASH - BEWARE! PETSMART PET HOTEL INCAPABLE OF BABYSITTING FAMILY DOG THAT WILL LICK YOUR FACE OFF!

10:02 am EDT

PetSmart grooming

I took my dog for the second time to get her groomed, well the first was nail trim. So when I called they said they lost her record. Then I brought her in they were rude and passive aggressive. My dog is protective of me so she was bark but not biting. I left they said it'll take a couple of hours. They called back 15 mins later and said they cant do it but they'll try one more time. I told them that's your job as groomers to handle dogs biting? I told them to stop and I'll pick her up and they said she's going to charge me! I told her no I'm not paying you anything. You shaved my dog and one leg and now she doesn't look good. Why would I pay you for that! Petsmart grooming service on oracle rd in tucson az are stupid #.

Read full review of PetSmart and 1 comment

1 comment
chicklett
Philadelphia, US
Aug 01, 2013 9:55 pm EDT

Groomers work with a lot of difficult dogs...it's part of the job. However, it is at the groomer's discretion if he or she believes the job cannot be completed. If the situation becomes unsafe (dog is uncontrollable or trying to harm the groomer) then the groomer should not continue the groom. Many dogs tolerate grooming fairly well, while plenty of others do not and that is when it is suggested that you take the dog to a vet or private shop where the dog can be sedated for the grooming process. If a job is started and not finished, the client should not be held responsible for paying. I don't know who would be content with paying for an unfinished groom. That's ridiculous. I work for a grooming salon and I would never let a client pay for a job that I could not complete. I take pride in my work and look at it as a piece of art. Making someone pay for shaving one leg is as bad as charging someone for a ### groom where the pads aren't shaved and the body is all jacked up. Unacceptable.

9:15 am EDT

PetSmart very rude customer service

I had my dog Max stay at the hotel off of bunkerhill and I-10 in houston, tx and the managers nick and rob were very rude. Not to mention my dog smelled like piss when they brought him out to me. They were also very rude to they’re associates. My friends always said this was a great place but I will never go there again and I will never recommend them to anyone. Something has to be done about this place. Also my dog didnt even look like he was having fun in daycamp. The associate in there looked like he wanted to kill himself.

8:14 am EDT

PetSmart dog boarding at petsmart

I tried the PetSmart Pet Hotels for the second time. The first boarding was for an emergency two-night visit. My normal vet that has boarding is closed on Sunday and I was going out of town. When we returned to pick-up our treasured Yorkie, he performed a "full pee" in the Pet hotel lobby. I asked when was the last time he urinated. They said he was simply happy to see us. Happy to see us is a sprinkle not an emptying his bladder. We paid and left. He urinated three times and pooped twice in the parking lot outside the store! I vowed not to take him back to the Raleigh, NC location again!

I had another emergency trip out of town this weekend and chose a PetSmart Pet hotel near my destination. Thinking that it was the local pet hotel that I had issues and that I would try their Alexandria, VA location. Same thing occurred! At pick-up he performed a "full pee" in the Pet hotel lobby. I asked when was the last time he was taken to use the bathroom and they said he was happy to see us. It was "Deja vu" all over again! He urinated twice and pooped in the parking lot outside the store! Not to mention ridiculous hold times on the phone when calling to check on him and letting them know what time I would be picking-up. To boot, I am concerned that he may have picked-up some bacteria of sorts that is presenting like a UTI. The dogs eliminate in a "elimination room". Based on my overall experience with both Pet hotels, there is no telling what kind of condition the facility is in with germs abound, if they are not answering phones, not walking the dogs, mistreating the dogs, etc. I WILL NEVER USE THEIR SERVICES AGAIN!

Read full review of PetSmart and 1 comment

1 comment
Fred Conway
Feb 16, 2014 1:06 pm EST

I also have a complaint with the Petsmart hotel in Chelmsford MA. I had my mini poodle there for two days and told them that he had separation anxiety and I was told not to worry because there was someone there all the time. When we got him home not only did her have dried up icecream all over his butt and tail he was also hoarse from obviously excessive barking from being alone. This is a Pet Hotel and they should be more accomodating to the animals. Someone could have wiped off the dried up icecream but instead had the nerve to send him home that way. I will NEVER bring my pet to that sleezebag hotel again!

N
3:55 pm EDT

PetSmart disrespectful manager

July 31.2012

I've always loved having animals in my life and being able to go to a pet retailer to buy their necessities (food, frontline, bedding etc.) as well as purchase every little cute toy and teddy to spoil them with. Unfortunately, there are times when your shopping experience ends up being a complete 180 from what you would expect. I have dogs, birds and fish for which I buy all my pet supplies at Pet Smart in Pelham; all 3 of my immediate family members buy all their pets goods from Pet Smart retailers as well. I adopted my Sadie a little over a year ago from the ASPCA in NYC. She's been the joy of my life. During times of stress and sadness she's been one of the few things to make me get through even the toughest days.

Today was the first time I decided to bring my 1 year old pit mix to Banfield Hospital (located inside the Pet Smart @ Pehlam). Let me just say that Banfield is one of the best decisions I have made for my dog. All the veterinarians were extremely professional and showed a thorough understanding for all my dogs' needs. However, the Pet Smart General Manager "Bill," who I have never met before, was one of the most disrespectful and rude employees I have ever encountered at a retail establishment.

While I was at Banfield with my dog for her annual visit and vaccination updates, my mother went shopping throughout the store for the usually supplies. At some point she accidentally set down her keys while viewing a piece of merchandise; in the scramble of things between having my dog registered & vaccinated and my mom shopping she had forgotten where she misplaced the keys. We knew they were in the store though because we drove to Pet Smart and hadn't been anywhere else the entire time.

My mother recollected having the keys in the store so we approached one of the empty cashiers and asked if it would be possible to make an announcement over the intercom asking anyone who may have found a set of keys to bring them to the front register. She replied by stating she needed managerial permission, which was understandable, so we waited patiently for a manager to come over. She than totally disregarded our request, making zero effort to even radio, call or page a manager, and went on to take the next and only waiting customer. My mother took it upon herself to walk through the store isles in search of a manager while in the process of now frantically looking for her car and house keys; hoping they hadn't been lost or worse: stolen.

She happened to find the general manager, Bill, in one of the pet toy isles stocking some merchandise. My mother went on to reiterate the details of what had happened and asked if there was anything he could do to help. His shocking response was: “I'm too busy to help you!” in a very nasty tone. I could tell my mother was a little taken back by his response, but continued to politely explain the accident. He went on ignoring us, but following us, as my mother tried searching for her keys everywhere. Now I approach the manage, Bill, and asked that someone help us find the lost keys if they're unable to use the pager to asks that any lost keys to be sent to the front register. I would think having a few employees help my mother, best friend and I search for the keys for 2-3 minutes in this small store would ensure they'd turn up much faster.

Instead we were treated as if we were attempting to shoplift, because before I knew it, the manager came toward me in a very confrontational manner; even after I repeatedly asked that he take a step back, he still pressed the matter, coming inches from my face where I could smell the faint alcohol reeking from his breath. Shortly after the police arrived and asked me to leave the store because Bill no longer wanted me inside. My mother and best friend remained in the store searching while the police officers attempted to mediate the situation and asked Bill if he could please review the camera and he refused; than he asked to announce it over the paging system and he also refused clearly avoiding any helping scenario whatsoever.

Still keep in mind that my dog is in Banfield, inside Pet Smart, and I have to pick her up in 20 minutes. However, Bill has now told the police that if I am to come back into the store he wants me arrested; essentially dog-napping my pet! I've made repeated calls to Corporate in reference to this horrifying experience and have pretty much been given the run-around scenario. So now I will be explicating the details of my ordeal every and anywhere I can. It wasn't until my dog's veterinarian came to the front of the store to ask me to pick up my dog that I explained the situation to her and she informed Bill that I needed to pick up the dog. I walked back into the store, this time completely humiliated as if I was some common criminal, picked up my dog, paid my bill and made one last walk through the entire store hoping to spot the keys. Finally, a friendly fellow customer spotted the keys and handed them to my mother. We were so relieved and thankful that a customer was willing to help and was successful in locating them, while Bill was unwilling to be of any useful assistance at all.

I also think it need be mentioned that while I searched the store for my mothers lost keys I checked floors, shelves and hangers to no avail, but what I did find was dirt and filth in every corner. Underneath almost every isle were piles of dust, dirt, toys, papers and food making me really question whether or not I would ever want to walk my dog through such disgusting floors again (the street outside was literally cleaner). Despite the fact that I had received such horrible service from the Pet Smart GM and front cashier I was very grateful that Cheny, the Pet Smart hotel manager, and all the Banfield employees were sympathetic to our situation. If it weren't for the simple fact that I purchased a year “Optimum Wellness Care Plan” with Banfield today I would probably never want to walk into that Pet Smart location ever again. Furthermore, even though Bill, the stores GM tried to have me arrested, I ended up spending an additional $200 for merchandise (on top of the $550 dog vet visit) and that's only because it was already in my shopping cart: ALL PAID IN CASH! I understand that there are individuals who use all types of schemes to participate in criminal activity; lord knows my mother, a retired NYC Police Officer, has dealt with her fair share of criminals and is familiar with all the tricks. This was far from our intentions and its a shame that decent, law abiding, citizens would be treated this way for no apparent reason. Was it our color? Race? Choice of clothing? Regardless, one should never judge a book by its cover because my money is just as green as the next customers!

I can't imagine how anyone could treat a customer in such an embarrassing way; humiliating, harassing, chastising and belittling me in front of other customers as if he were my father. Of course you could imagine I became a little irate, but any normal, rational, human being would have reacted the very same way given they were treated as badly by a retail employee: let alone a general manager of a store's location. I am going to seriously contemplate whether or not I will ever spend a single cent at a Pet Smart ever again! I also informed corporate that this is not a feeble attempt at some pathetic gift card or percentage off coupon: I'm not interested in that kind of restitution. What I would appreciate is an apology and that this General Manager, Bill, of your Pet Smart Pelham location in NY be informed on how to treat customers in a respectful and sympathetic manner.

Michael

6:24 pm EDT

PetSmart sick fish

Purchase fish at petsmart, all of the fish I purchased died within less then two weeks. I was in the store Pet-smart in West Palm Beach, and saw many fish sick and dead in the tanks. Rats and other animals look very sick and have many health issues, they do not care about the health of their animals. I will not buy any fish there again. I feel very sad how their animals are being treated, and want to let people know. Watch! YouTube: Pet-smart Cruelty, and you will see the truth behind this big corporation.

12:08 pm EDT

PetSmart manager

Every time I enter the store with my dog, we buy a treat, and train around the store (Meet and greets). I cannot describe how horrible the manager at the champaign, il store is. Utterly incompetent, mean, and unfriendly. I was merely conversing with an associate, and the manager calls the associate over and begins to scold them for talking when they should be working.
It also came to my attention that I was being disruptive and was loitering. Is this not a pet-friendly store? Am I not purchasing things? To anyone that lives in the champaign area or goes to that store — don't. Lisa (The manager, as I found out), is nothing short of despicable.

6:05 pm EDT

PetSmart grooming

I have been a customer of the PetSmart in Lake Zurich for many years but mostly to purchase cat products. Recently I purchased a ShiPoo ([censored]zu-Poodle) and started using their grooming services. Our dog has long hair and even when brushed every other day she can required a lot of care. Today a PetSmart groomer wanted to shave my dog because she felt the dog was too matted to wash and comb.in Illinois it's 90° outside and the last thing my dog needs is a sunburn on virgin skin. When I said that's silly and mentioned that if they gave me a comb I would show her she was easy to comb through they said no it was against their policy because I may hurt my own dog and blame them. I asked to see their grooming manager and the store manager was brought in instead. She had no power and claimed that she did not know the policies of the grooming department. After some convincing I was aloud to use a comb but was told it didn't matter if I could comb the dog they, the groomers, didn't feel comfortable doing it. This is a grooming department right? To top it off they had my dog listed as a Havaneese and when I asked them to make the correction in their system they claimed it would cost me three dollars to do so. Why should I pay for their mistake? I took my dog right to PetCo where I was treated with respect and shown how a mat removing comb could be used to take care of the problem with out the need to shave her as PetSmart said was the only alternative. PetCo was great. PetSmart needs to hire a better staff who show more respect to people spending money in their stores.

Read full review of PetSmart and 31 comments

31 comments
M. St.Mary
Aug 09, 2008 11:21 am EDT

I stopped in PetSmart to pick up some dog treats and while there decided to have my Peke's back nails clipped. 3 years ago he had spinal cord surgery to correct a disk herniation in his lower back. As a result, he has lost the ability to walk unassisted. He is not in any pain and pulls himself around using his front 2 legs quite well. He does wear a harness over his back legs so that I can hold his back legs up and he walks with his front legs. Since he does not naturally wear down the nails on his back legs. the nails grow unevenly. He had 2 or 3 nails I wanted clipped. They asked for his rabies certificate which I retrieved out of the car. When I returned, they asked "can't this dog walk?" When I said no, they said they would not cut his nails as they cannot accept any dog that cannot walk. They wouldn't want to "take him in the back and cause him any more pain". When I told him that was ridiculous, they said it was corporate policy. They made no attempt to placate me, call a manager (indeed the assistant mgr. was one of the 4 people standing in the grooming salon with nothing to do) or even apologize or an idiotic rule...if it even is truly a corporate rule. Never again. DO NOT TAkKE YOUR DOGS TO PETSMART TO BE GROOMED! They obviously do not know what they are doing.

Christina1015
Macon, US
Jul 13, 2009 6:00 pm EDT

On Sunday July 12, 2009, I took my 5 year old English Setter to his grooming appointment at 12pm. They said he would be finished at 4pm. I arrived back at 4 and was told it would take another 30 minutes, so I left and had to go back. I waited for a little while for someone to come out and help me and I witnessed a groomer pretty much abusing a dog. She was trying to cut his nails and he was pulling away (as expected) and at one point he fell off the table and she yanked him back up by his throat and continued to pull and yank on his paws brutally.
When Willis, my dog, was returned to me, I noticed he had a horribly uneven cut, and that there were some really long hairs that the groomer missed. Instead of complaining, I just paid and decided I would try to fix his fur when I got home.
Well, when I got home he ran to his water dish like he didn't have a drink for 4 hours. Then, I grabbed a pair of scissors and started to clip the random hair the groomer missed and I saw a bunch of fleas on his bottom! My dog did not have fleas when I dropped him off! In fact, he has never had fleas! I knew he caught them at Petsmart. When I contacted the store, and finally got in touch with the manager the next day, they offered me a free flea bath after I already went to a different store as soon as I saw the fleas and treated him with 30 dollars worth of over-the-counter remedies. What is a free flea bath going to do? Make it so that he has to sit in a cage for 6 hours while he dries and doesn't eat or drink anything? Then, he might catch some other insect infestation or disease from the unsanitary facility? No thanks. They also missed some of his nails. Some of them weren't even filed down. I will never have my dog groomed at PetSmart or purchase any of their products again.

poodle
Fayetteville, US
Aug 23, 2009 12:01 am EDT

When we picked up our female standard poodle from Petsmart grooming salon in Fayetteville, NC this afternoon 22 August 09, I was horrified ! Almost all her nails are bleeding! I went back in the grooming salon and told the lady that groomed her that her nails are bleeding and that she had cut it very short, she took my poor poodle and applied some stuff in her nails and then told me that the nails is pressing in the concrete as the dog walk thats why it bleeds. What an excuse! Jeez ...I felt so bad for my dog, , , and we just left since she cant stand this lady touching her anymore.

Lilosmom
Groton, US
Jul 09, 2010 10:44 am EDT

I have 4 babies that have been going to Petsmart since 2008! Ever since the first visit, I have stated to the staff not to cut the baby hair of their puppy tails! Today my almost 3 yr old silky, Lilo went to have her summer cut. When my daughter brought her home her tail was gone! I immediately called Petsmart and spoke to LISA, she is the one who groomed Lilo. I wanted to know why her tail was gone. She started to apologize profusely and offer me a free grooming! She proceeded to put the grooming manager on who also apologized and stated that since they are not able to put her tail back on they would give me a free grooming! WHY ON EARTH WOULD I ACCEPT A FREE GROOMING WHEN I WILL NEVER STEP FOOT BACK IN THIER STORE! Lisa the chop happy groomer says to me, that it stated right there not to cut her tail! Please don't use them if you have any special instructions because they are not followed anyway!

s323ie
Benson, US
Sep 15, 2010 10:29 pm EDT

I was just curious if anyone on here has visited the petsmart on timber dr in garner north carolina, i wanted to hear any complaints or compliments on the store specifically...thanks

W
W
wally2frank
Richmond, US
Feb 20, 2011 4:18 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I agree, , Never will use them again..I have had my pomeranians nails trimmed there for almost four years...I made an appointment to get him a full service groom one day while getting his nails trimmed..On the day of his appontment the nasty girl who was working asked for his rabbies papers..I told her that they had them already on file(my vet had faxed them before). She said no they didn't because my dog had never been there. I explained that he had come there every month for the last three years, and that he was just there the day befor. She continued to argue that I was wrong. I spoke with the manager about this and he said he was sorry..Thats it..No more story..No lets take care of it or nothing...

Ced37Pitt
Bradfordwoods, US
Apr 05, 2011 4:26 pm EDT

I took my lhasa to Petsmart in Cranberry, and I have noticed that interns are awful at grooming for one, but I must say the lady manager who usually does his hair is amazing.

My puppy cut usually cost me $40. I was told that he couldn't get a puppy cut anymore, but since over the phone they said I could they alowed it, but it cost $65. Since the intern did it the job was awful! The manager was there but didn't look over her work! I was mad.

I also notice that when You make an apointment for 11, and bring in the dog a half hour early, you won't see your dog again till about 4pm! This is rediculous. The manager who does his hair will putz around and take random breaks and a long lunch break! Most do this. I also see dogs who come in after me get done right away! They also get more done than what I come in for! WTF!

In my opinion they should do all the jobs that are scedualed before lunch break bc we don't have all day to wait for our dogs! They need to be more organized with time! Five and a half hours is way to long for a hair cut, I can understand 2, but 5! Too much, plus the price is never acurate!

I always thought that since my apointment is at 11 that they should be able to work on my dog at that time if I bring him in a half hour early! I make that apointment so he can be worked on generaly around that time, not to be worked on hours later! I don't want to bring him in at 8 or 9 bc I can't!

I constantly come back hour after hour to check up on him. I don't see him get started till 3! He is done by 4ish! An hours work that was suppose to start at around 11, takes about an hour to do, but doesn't get started till 3! It just doesn't make sense! I get really angry at the people who get worked on before me who came in after me and have larger fluffy dogs! Its a crapshoot that is totally unorganized.

On a positive note I have not had any problems with injuries!

The vet next to it is pretty good, but they add rediculous charges and stuff they think my dog needs, but they are the vet so IDK.

Over all other than time money and sometimes crappy haircut, petsmart isn't too too bad!

pissed@petsmart
bomont, US
Jul 02, 2011 9:49 pm EDT

I just want to express my great disappointment in the "service" that we received today at one of the PetSmart stores. We had our 2 dogs get the "defurminator" de-shedding treatment and get their teeth cleaned. First of all, they were very unfriendly, disorganized, and rushed when we checked in. All the information I had given them on the phone had to be repeated and they had a hard time finding our reservation. Once we finally dropped them off, it took 5 hours for the services to be completed! 5 hours! What could possibly take that long? Once finally got the call that they were ready and we went in to pick them up, our bill was a lot more than we were quoted. Candice told us that for our Flat Coat Retreiver it would be $36 for the de-shedding treatment. In reality, we were charged $66 for her and $44 for our Mini-Dachshund. Both of those prices are higher than what she told us. And now that we have them at home, as we pet them, we are still pulling out clumps of shedded hair. I am now in doubt that they even got the treatment at all. I am very disappointed in the service, price, and people at this grooming facility and will never take my dogs back.

pupppyz1984
Johnson City, US
Sep 05, 2011 1:56 am EDT

I go to petsmart for grooming. My groomer is very sweet and I like what she does. I had an appointment for grooming a couple of mondays ago. Sunday I get a knock on my door. An employee (not the groomer who did my dog before) stood at my door, telling me I needed to call petsmart because they couldn't get a hold of me in regards to my appointment. I felt completely violated. I recognized her as one of the twins that works there and my neighbors told me the other twin stayed in the car, watching the house. (they said she looked like she expected a bust!). I gave my address to petsmart because I thought they needed it in the computer as a reference, not to stalk me! I will not go back. I didn't call them, and I didn't show up to my appointment. I don't recommend NOT going to them! The twins will stalk you! I'm surprised they are still working there, considering they violate customer information!

caring groomer
cal city, US
Sep 07, 2011 2:51 am EDT

omg so iworked for petsmart for 2 months pls do not take your dog here, , , i walked out the treatment of the animals is terrible there is no camersa in groomin g so they know they can pretty much do what they wsant to the dogs i have seen first hand how bad these dum girls treat the dogs ..for instance a puppy came in for a nail trim and was scared you know it was his first time he shouldve been treated with love and kindess instead the manhandled him made him pee and poop all over the place he was actually screaming the owner walked in just as i was telling the girls to stop... this was uncalled for, , , , athere is al ot of of ohter instances just p[ls trust me and do not take your dogs here if you love your baby you will go to petco or find a private groomer omg pls i love dogs and all animals and could not stand for this kind of treatment i had to leave i hope everyone who reads this will do the same

1:47 pm EDT

PetSmart rude clerk

I had just taken my dog to use the outside potty area. As I was coming in, I had picked him up and was telling him while scratching his head, 'Silly puppy, you no want to go outside."
That's when this middle age employee groomer, who was walking next to me, she was about 40-50, said under her breath, 'Shut the hell up and #ing deal with it." Wow, totally rude.
I said, "excuse me," and she said, 'Tough!" and wondered in the grooming area.
I knew she was a groomer because of her combs in the back pocket. she had her hair pulled back. I asked for the manager but everything was busy that I waited a good while and no one showed.
Thats no excuse to mouth off to a customer like that for no reason, except to be moody. I didn't get her name but she is still in this location

R
1:39 pm EDT

PetSmart amost killed my dog

Don't take your dog to be groomed at the petsmart in silver spring. I took my cocker spaniel to be groomed at the petsmart in silver spring on plum orchard drive last week. When I went to pick him up they said they weren't done but I had to take him home because "he's too worked up." by the time I got him to the car he could hardly breath and started throwing up white foamy liquid. I tried to take him home but he kept throwing up and couldn't breath well. I rushed to the nearest animal hospital. His gums and tongue were blue and he had a temperature of 106. They rushed him into an oxygen cage at 100% oxygen with ice bags all around him to try to cool him down. They did an x-ray and found water in his lungs. The doctor told me "if he doesn't get better in the next 6 hours, he'll never get better. He's got a 50/50 chance." they put catheters in both his arms and all total they gave him 8 different medicines. He did improve enough for me to bring him home, but 8 hours later I had to take him back. More medicine and more tests. I did get to take him home, but he was lethargic and his breathing was labored. I took him to his regular vet the next day. They did another x-ray and said there's a small improvement but there's still water in his lungs. He's now on steroids for two weeks, antibiotics for 10 days, lasix to help get rid of fluids and he's nowhere near recovered. He's not allowed to go on walks, get hot or overly excited. I don't worry about the last one because he has no energy and just lays on the floor all the time. He has another doctor visit tomorrow and they will keep checking him regularly to see if he's progressing. This is an outrageous example of gross incompetence. My doctors said either my dog went under and they didn't notice or they sprayed water directly in his face. I beg you not to take your dog to petsmart. I plan on taking legal action. It has cost my dog a great deal of pain, cost me $1600 so far, and it should never have happened. This was preventable!

12:07 pm EDT

PetSmart no warning signs

I took my dachshund to Petsmart to get her nails clipped, now my dog is a very nervous dog and does not like it when strangers suddenly grab her. I trusted petsmart because I have gone there before and I THOUGHT they were professionals. The lady grabbed my dog from the front and my dog accidentally bit her. They called me back in, and I apologized for what happened. I was going to take her home when the manager said that she will have to report the situation to animal control. my dog has all of her vaccinations and they checked with the vet before this happened and were clear that she had all her shots. Animal Control came the next day and took my dog and quarantined her for 10 days. She has ALL HER SHOTS. I understand it is the law, but petsmart should put a warning sign or something that says we are not responsible if anything happens or a warning that they will call animal control, and to think twice. The girl even admitted she picked her up wrong! If they are such professionals why don't they put thick gloves on or even put a muzzle on dogs it will be much safer. But petsmart probably just wants money, which is the reason why there is no signs, and no warning from the workers. If my dog is scared to death, is not the same, or gets a disease from being in a cage at Animal Control Petsmart will hear from me, and definitely the girl who did not know what she was doing will hear from me also. From all the complaints I see I do not know why that irresponsible store is even in business. Just because it is not YOUR PET does not mean they can handle it anyway they want.

Jsota13
Mar 08, 2016 2:13 pm EST

This is pure example of negligence. It shouldnt matter how she was picked up, no dog should bite just because it had the will to do so. I'm a Petsmart employee and was literally just bit in the face yesterday by a dog that jumped up at my face and decided to latch itself to my lips and then try to continue bitting once I tried to put it away. If you feel your dog isn't completely safe don't put other people in harms way.

slynn1
Orange, US
Feb 23, 2013 8:18 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

You are lucky that the groomer did not sue you for medical costs, missed work, and emotional damages. You as the owner are legally responsible for any harm or damage your dog causes. It is also in many states a law to report vicious dogs. If the dog was removed from your home then the bite broke skin. Were is your concern for the person your dog bit? Shame on you!

groomer
May 12, 2012 9:34 pm EDT

Questions: Did you tell the associate that your dog may bite? Did you tell them to muzzle the dog? Did you offer to put the muzzle on? Do you think we like getting bit? I see no concern on your part for the person that got bit! Perhaps the bather/groomer moved quickly but without fair warning from you, the pet owner, she had no idea the dog was skittish or would bite. Apparently it was a good enough bite that they felt they needed to contact animal control.
You are one of the many clueless pet owners that have NO respect for the job done by bathers and groomers. It is a shame that your dog had to be quarantined but it's your own fault, not the associate.
Try to look beyond your selfish self and show some concern for the person bit. From now on, be responsible and warn people if your dog bites. Some good pet owners will bring the dog in already muzzled.
Trust me, one nail clip is not goiing to make or break PetSmart. How dare you think it is all for the money? No one would work in grooming if they didn't love animals. It's a hard and dangerous job.
Bottom line: Be responsible and show some concern for the person bit. Grrrrrrrrrrrr...

11:19 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

PetSmart pet hotel killed my dog

We dropped our 14 month old SchnauzerPoo off at Petsmart's Pet hotel for spring break, as we were going out of town. It was his first time boarding and we suggested playtime and grooming (let him get pampered while there!). We picked him a week later and he seemed lethargic - when I asked why he seemed so tired, the girl at the desk said he may have just woken from a nap, but that he'd eaten well and 'did his business' while at the hotel, as well as made some friends!- so we were quite happy that it seemed to have gone well. Got him home, and the next day he still hadn't done a 'poo' and was refusing to eat more than a bite of food. I called Petsmart's Banfield Hospital and took him in, as our vet wasnt nearby and we wanted him seen immediately. When we got there - the nurse scheduled us in, was very nice, and then as we waited for the vet, she examined him, asking the usual questions. She said his abdomen was rock hard, and asked what had we been feeding him. I explained that he was refusing to eat and that he hadn't done a BM since I picked him up from their pet hotel. She then disappeared, and when she came back stated that the vet 'had a lst minute meeting' and couldn't see us, but that we should go to an emergency pet hospital, which was 40 mins away! needless to say, he didn't make it to the hospital! when we had his body examined by the vet - we were told he must have been stuffed full of food! his bowels had exploded, and he was severely dehydrated. Now we have two sad children and no dog - I will never have anything to do with Petsmart again, and will make sure to let ANYONE who will listen know of our story and what happened.

Alura
Jul 29, 2016 7:31 pm EDT

When you go on vacation and entrust your fur baby to an establishment that specializes in taking care of your fur baby, you never should come home to this. Heather Pam andRob are mourning the loss of Charlie who was only 18 months young. They came home and Charlie had double pneumonia. Days in the hospital and now Charlie has passed. I'm so sorry Pocock family 💔😢 Everyone stay away from Petsmart Hotel in Brea

View 0 more photos
Jane ss
Feb 05, 2018 10:38 pm EST
Replying to comment of Alura

I’m so sorry to see this.. I would also like to WARN people about Morningstar in Whitby! Don’t go there! Dr cozy is NOT an appropriate vet!

Kellerlife
Keller, US
Mar 23, 2012 1:45 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I wish I knew you- I would have told you NOT to go to that Petsmart- it's the one in Heritage, right? Bad customer service, noone seems to know what they are doing! My dog got injured at the pet hotel and they called the wrong people to tell them! when they relized their mistake, they didn't even apologize. We don't even go there for pet food anymore- for NOTHING.

E
11:02 am EST

PetSmart pet injured at day camp

I was moving so I decided to put my 2 yr old miniature schnauzer in day camp so she would not get in the way. When I dropped her off I informed the Petsmart employee who checked her in that I did not want my dog to be in the play area with any big dogs. I told her I knew that they suppossedly separated the dogs by temperment and not by size and I again specified that I did not want my dog in with any big dogs even if my dog needed to be taken out of the play area. The Petsmart employee assured me that my dog would be kept with only small dogs and that the large dogs would be kept separated.

When I arrived to pick up my dog there were several dogs in the play area and my dog was just sitting and not playing. I noticed that there was at least one other big dog in the area. When my dog saw me through the glass she became excited and jumped on the glass. The Petsmart employee at the counter then instructed the employee who was in with the dogs to bring my dog out. The employee who was in the area was a teenage girl and just stared and didnt attempt to get my dog, so the other employee repeated the request to bing my dog as the other dogs were begining to react to my dog's excitement. The young girl in the area still did not attempt to pick up my dog and bring her out.

The next thing I see is the big dog grabbing my dog by the throat and attacking her. The employee in the area did absolutely nothing. The two other employees at the counter yelled for the employee to do something and she again just stood there. I hit the glass and tried to get in the room but the door was locked. Finally the two employees at the counter ran in and took action to get the other dog to release my dogs neck.

I demanded that my dog be taken immediately to the Banfield clinic where she was examined while the store manager informed me that he would speak to the employee at the day camp and ensure that she was properly trained so that this incident did not happen in the future. No further suggestions were made. My request to separate my dog was ignored and the Petsmart had an employee overseeing the dogs who was obviously not trained or capable to handle the camp area. My dog was checked by the vet who released her saying she was fine. However when I got home I touched her neck and she screamed. I called the vet and was then informed that she had also done this while in the vet's office. Only then was I tol to watch her to see if her condition worsened and to bing her back if necessary. This matter has not been resolved, but I wanted to make other pet owners aware of the negligence on behalf of Petsmart. I will never take my dog there again.

N
8:52 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

PetSmart lack of care for animals

I visited the PetSmart in Tumwater, Washington a few weeks ago and was shocked at the condition of the animals. There were countless dead fish in most of the tanks that had been there for a while. The poor cats had little or no food or fresh water and their littler boxes were filthy. I brought this up to the manager and she blew me. She stated that she was very busy and would get around to it when she had time. I walked back over to the fish area and noticed a father explaining to his small son that the reason the fish were on the bottom of the tank was because they were dead. The boy asked his father if anyone who worked there cared and the father replied "I guess not". The boy started crying and became unconsolable and they had to leave the store. I went back a few days later and saw the exact same conditions as before. I guess the father is right... nobody cares. I am taking my business else where where the employees do care about the health of the animals. I will never go back there again!

8:06 pm EST

PetSmart my puppy was shaved to the bone

t is my hope as I write this letter of complaint that I will be "heard". I entrusted my puppy Star into your care and you abused my trust and my puppy. I dropped off my puppy at 6pm and didn't hear from you so I just came back to your store to find my puppy in a back room in a kennel. I was told by Nickki that she was in a kennel because they got busy and she came up front to help. I have a Poochin puppy that I took in to have her hair cut-I wanted her to be groomed and kept fluffy-what I got was a puppy who's hair was literally shaved to the bone. Star, my puppy, did have some matting and I was told that they would have to cut her a little shorter than I wanted. I agreed to that-I did not agree to her being shaved! Star looked like she was in shock when I went to pick her up-she threw up and had diarrhea and hide when we got home.

shir.21
Miramar, US
Nov 27, 2011 6:31 pm EST

I brought my beautiful 17 month old Maltese to be given a puppy coat since his hair was getting too long.. the girl explained to me that they would have to cut it shorter because he had some mats. I agreed to it but asked her to please leave it as long as she could. Five hours later, they still had not called me to pick up chewy so I went to the store only to discover my beautiful chewy COMPLETELY shaven looking like a rat. Not only that but he had tons of cuts and nicks all over his delicate coat. They also cut all the hair around his face including his whiskers which are essential for him to feel. I am so devastated and so is my dog. I feel like he isn't himself anymore and when I spoke to the manager he accused me of what a horrible owner I was and how his coat was so matted because i never brushed his hair!(I brush his hair every day and wash and blow-dry once a week!) This was the rudest manager on earth please do not take your dog to pet smart grooming.

groomer
Nov 24, 2011 5:05 am EST

A first groom for a puppy can be stressful. As far as matting goes, I am sure the groomer had no choice but to shave short. Was this a first groom? How old is your pup? Your reaction will have alot to do with your pups behavior. If you are upset and distressed at the groom, the pup thinks it did something wrong and will try to hide.

Ramelle
Ramelle
Weed, US
Nov 23, 2011 8:33 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

You should contact the manager with your complaint.

2:51 pm EDT

PetSmart customer service

I had the most absurd and annoying experience with the manager of the grooming area. I had been taking my puppy to PetSmart grooming since she was 3 months old - at the time of this bizarre encounter, August 2011, she was 10 months old. We gave the store her health records to copy and kept them up to date. When I took my puppy in for her scheduled grooming, I was informed that her rabies vaccination expired in July - I told the girl at the counter that this was incorrect, since she was only 10 months old - I explained that the July expiration date was when the vial of medication that was used to vaccinate the dog expired, and that both dates were on the original record - the actual vaccination expires in February, 2012 - apparantly they only wrote down one date, and mistakenly thought it was the actual vaccination. I told her this did not even make sense, since my puppy was only 10 months old, and wasn't able to get the vaccine until she was 4 months, so that she actually only had the vaccination 6 months ago. She did not seem to understand, so I spoke to the manager - cant remember his name - I told him the same story and explained it in very simple terms, several times. He kept repeating some canned rhetoric about "what if we got inspected and they saw that your dog's vaccination was expired". I explained to him that he would then be responsible for explaining to tthe inspectors how his staff had mistakenly copied down the wrong information. He did not seem to understand and was unable to comprehend the fact that he was telling me that my puppy's vaccination, which is given yearly, expired because it was given to her BEFORE SHE WAS BORN. I told him that it was impossible and illogical, but he kept repeating his mantra about inspection. I finally told him that we would not be using any PetSmart services or products in the future, because of this insane and illogical reasoning, abrupt and rude interactions, general lack of concern about customer satisfaction, and failure to understand simple logic. Aside from his indifference, the management of PetSmart apparantly does not care either, as I have emailed them regarding this insanity, and have not heard from them.

E
3:25 am EDT

PetSmart waste of resources

I was recently at a Petsmart early one morning to drop my dog off at the vet and witnessed a disgraceful situation. petsmart employees were standing next to their dumpster with overloaded carts full of food cutting the bags open and pouring the dry dog and cat food into the dumpster.in a country where animal shelters are bursting at the seams and struggling to feed their numerous charges and low income families struggle with adequate pet care, how could this possibly be a good idea? The food was not moldy, bug infested nor had any other visible issue, I actually checked. For all their talk of charity and assistance they are conducting business like any other money-hungry corporation. If they are so concerned with their image that they run "charities" then they should donate the food instead of throwing it away. For some of these desperate animals food that is close to expiring is better than no food at all!

bobby9119
richmond, US
Feb 14, 2012 10:00 pm EST

All it takes is one sick dog or cat.Then you would sue for thousands .no one likes it.I THROW AWAY a lot of food also if it is outdated

TK Rush
Guelph, CA
Feb 13, 2012 12:58 am EST

They cannot donate the food if it is expired. All the animal shelters I work with WILL NOT take expired food. It would be a liability for both Petsmart and the Shelters.

AnonymousManager
Birmingham, US
Aug 21, 2011 6:27 pm EDT

Like Brenda said, both law and corporate policy require us to destroy any returned opened food. We cut the bags and dump the food to reduce the risk of fraudulent returns.

PetSmart In-depth Review

Product Range and Availability: PetSmart offers a wide range of products for pets, including food, toys, accessories, and grooming supplies. They have a good selection of brands and options for different types of pets.

Store Layout and Organization: The store is well-organized and easy to navigate. The aisles are clearly labeled, and the products are neatly displayed. It's easy to find what you're looking for.

Customer Service and Staff Knowledge: The staff at PetSmart is friendly and knowledgeable. They are always willing to help and provide advice on pet care. They can answer questions about products and offer recommendations.

Pricing and Value for Money: The prices at PetSmart are competitive, and they offer good value for money. They often have sales and promotions, making it affordable to shop for your pets.

Online Shopping Experience: PetSmart's website is user-friendly and easy to navigate. They have a wide range of products available online, and the ordering process is smooth. They offer convenient delivery options.

Pet Grooming Services: PetSmart offers professional grooming services for pets. They have experienced groomers who can provide various grooming treatments, including bathing, haircuts, and nail trims.

Pet Training Programs: PetSmart offers training programs for pets, including obedience training and puppy classes. They have qualified trainers who can help you train your pet and address behavioral issues.

Veterinary Services: PetSmart has veterinary clinics in some of their stores. They offer routine check-ups, vaccinations, and other medical services for pets. The veterinarians are knowledgeable and caring.

Loyalty Program and Rewards: PetSmart has a loyalty program called PetPerks. Members can earn points on purchases and receive exclusive discounts and offers. It's a great way to save money on pet supplies.

Return and Exchange Policy: PetSmart has a flexible return and exchange policy. They accept returns and exchanges within a certain timeframe, as long as the product is in its original condition and packaging.

Community Involvement and Adoption Programs: PetSmart is actively involved in the community and has adoption programs in partnership with local animal shelters. They provide a platform for pet adoption and support animal welfare initiatives.

Overall Shopping Experience: Shopping at PetSmart is a pleasant experience. The store is well-stocked, the staff is helpful, and the prices are reasonable. They offer a variety of services and products for all your pet's needs.

Pros and Cons:

• Pros: Wide range of products, knowledgeable staff, competitive prices, convenient online shopping, grooming and training services, veterinary clinics, loyalty program, flexible return policy, community involvement
  • Cons: Limited availability of veterinary clinics, not all stores offer grooming and training services

Final Verdict: PetSmart is a reliable and convenient option for all your pet's needs. They offer a wide range of products, professional services, and competitive prices. Their commitment to community involvement and adoption programs sets them apart. Overall, it's a great place to shop for your furry friends.

How to file a complaint about PetSmart?

### How to File a Complaint at PetSmart on ComplaintsBoard.com

1. Log in or Create an Account:
- If you already have an account on ComplaintsBoard.com, log in. If not, create a new account to proceed.

2. Navigating to the Complaint Form:
- Locate and click on the 'File a Complaint' button on the ComplaintsBoard.com website. You can find this button at the top right corner of the website.

3. Writing the Title:
- Summarize the main issue with PetSmart in the 'Complaint Title' section.

4. Detailing the Experience:
- Provide detailed information about your experience with PetSmart.
- Include key areas such as transactions, nature of the issue, steps taken to resolve, personal impact, etc.

5. Attaching Supporting Documents:
- Attach any relevant supporting documents but avoid including sensitive personal data.

6. Filling Optional Fields:
- Use the 'Claimed Loss' field to state any financial losses and the 'Desired Outcome' field to specify the resolution you seek.

7. Review Before Submission:
- Ensure your complaint is clear, accurate, and complete before submitting.

8. Submission Process:
- Click the 'Submit' button to submit your complaint.

9. Post-Submission Actions:
- Regularly check for responses or updates related to your complaint on ComplaintsBoard.com.

Follow these steps to effectively file a complaint or review about PetSmart on ComplaintsBoard.com.

Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

Contact PetSmart customer service

Phone numbers

1888 839 9638 1866 738 7375 More phone numbers

Website

Our Commitment

We stand for unbiased reviews

We help resolving issues

We advocate freedom of speech

We ensure transparent and fair ratings

We care about your privacy

We are easy, free and open to everyone

Is ComplaintsBoard.com associated with PetSmart?

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with PetSmart Customer Service. Initial PetSmart complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for PetSmart above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about PetSmart. Discuss the issues you have had with PetSmart and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.