Complaints & Reviews

disrespect

I have several managers that constantly degrade me, especially on front of customers. One of the managers will make fun of the way that i do everything. For example when i was giving a customer advice where to buy alcohol, since we didnt sell any, after she left, my manager told me that i gave adive the wrong way and i didnt know how to read people, and then he went behind my back and told all of my coworkers and laughing about me. One of my managers also makes jokes about how i dont ever do anything at my job, and how i just stand there and talk to people. I am far from opposite of that and i stay late to do all of my closing work and i am always nice to customers. I feel like i have no recognition of anything i do and i feel like a lot of time they blame me for other peoples mistakes. I dont know what to do in my situation and i want to know more about my rights as an employee at panera bread

• Ne
    NENANEGRA Sep 25, 2011

I ALSO AAGREE WITH HIM BUT LET ME TELL YOU MY EXPERIENCE I GOT HIRED AT PANERA BREAD HERE IN POUGHKEEPSIE I GOT DISRESPECTED I ONLI WORKED AT PANERA FOR A WEEK THERE. ITS A BRAND NEW STORE WELL I WAS IN TRAINING THE WHOLE WEEK AND I CAME INTO WORK ON SATURDAY AN ONE HOUR EARLY AS I WAS SITTING AND HEARING MY IPOD I SAW THE GM AND THE OTHER MANAGERS WALKED IN THE BUILDING AS THE GM WENT INTO HIS OFFICE HE CALLED ME IN. HE WANTED TO TALK AS THE GM MANAGER CLOSE TH DOOR I KNEW SOMETIMES WAS ABOUT TO HAPPEN. THE GM SAID I HAVE TO LET YOU GO AND I SAID WHY WHAT DID I DO AND HE RESPOND THAT I WAS TO ALL OVER THE PLACE AND I SAID WHAT DO U MEAN BY THAT AND HE HAD A NASTY ATTIDUDE AND SAID TO ME "YOU JUST DONT GET" REPEATED IT TWICE THEN HE SAID TAKE OFF UR APRON AND UR HAT BUT I DIDNT LISTEN TO HIM I LEFT HIS OFFICE AND WENT TO CALL A RIDE IN THE DINNING AREA. AS I WAS SITTING DOWN HE WALKED TOWARDS ME SNATCH OFF THE APRON AND THE HAT AND TOLD ME I COULDNT STAY IN THE STORE HE TOLD ME TOO LEAVE AND IM NOT ALLLOW TO SEAT EITHER AND I SAID TO HIM WHAT ARE SERIOUS YOU KICKING ME OUT ON THE STREETS I FELT RACISM BECAUSE IM SPANISH AND I FELT MISTREATED AND THE MANAGERS NEED TO LEARN SOME RESPECT JUST BEACUSE THEY FEELL THEY HAVE AUTHORITY AND A BIG SHOT WELL THERE NOT. AND THE OWNER OF THE STORE WAS TALKING BEHIND MY BACK HE WAS SAYING TO THE OTHER MANAGER SHES FROM THE BRONX INST SHE AND I LOOKED AT HIM AND HE GAVE ME THAT I HATE U FACE SO BASICALLY IM NEVER GOING TO PANERA EVER AGAIN EVER SINCE I FOUND OUT THE TRUE COLORS WHAT PANERA ALL ABOUT IT MADE ME NOT TO EVER THINK ABOUT ANYBODY APPLY AT THERE SORES.

Chris moo Dec 29, 2014

I to worked at paneras felt like I back in middle school any thing I did they said I did not do it right put soup in bowl first she said i over filed then told me underfield it Worst Place to work and found oout there are to ways to do things one is the district manger was there the outher whaen she was not they watch her gps to know if she is coming and then everything I's done they way it suppose to after I Calleds the general manager and told her what was going on the gave my job to some one else and let me have dining

I have had a very horrible experience

predatory towing

My son and I were meeting my daughter at Panera Bread in Chapel Hill. She called at 11:36 a.m. to tell us she...

embarressed by management

I was embarrassed by the manager on duty, whose name tag listed her name as Shelby. I was having lunch with a...

lacking manners and professionalism

Panera claims to provide both their customers and employees with a comfortable and enjoyable environment, but I have seen nothing but the utmost amounts of disrespect and complete lack of professionalism in this particular Panera. The General Manager treats the employees as if they are slaves. Not in the sense of hard labor, but through her harsh words and threats towards them. I as a customer, have heard her SCREAM at many of the young adults in the cafe, for ridiculous reasons, and often blame them for her misfortunes. This type of disrespect in the work place terrifies me of what I should look out for when my children are of age. PLEASE DO NOT LET YOUR CHILD EVEN CONSIDER FILLING OUT AN APPLICATION AS LONG AS MANY OF THESE MANAGERS ARE IN SERVICE AT THIS BAKERY CAFE. I have witnessed multiple unjust and extremely unprofessional attitudes among them.

our area has 2 excellent panera restaurants

I see a lot of complaints about the food and service at Panera's (known in the St. Louis area as St. Louis Bread Co.)

I guess we're lucky here. I've been to 3 franchises at Westport Plaza, in Florissant, MO, on Lindbergh Blvd and at Northwest Plaza have had a pleasant experience every time. Good food, good service, and a great attitude even when the huge lunch crowds come in.

poor customer service

I first discovered your bakery/cafe a few years ago when I lived in north haven, ct. I found the unique variety and high-quality very appealing. Since that first day I tried panera, I have been frequenting one of your stores several times a month. I am a single professional living alone. I hate to cook! So I eat out often.

I normally stop at north haven, ct, on my way home from work, or shelton, ct on my lunchbreak. Tonight I happened to be in hamden, ct so I stopped at your store there.

Let me also state that I am not only a working professional, but I also run a customer-service oriented business, which I have had for over ten years. I know how to take care of customers when they are upset.

With all that being said, here is what happened. I am fully accepting "blame" for leaving my wallet at home, along with my atm card, charge cards, you name it! Luckily a friend gave me $10, knowing that I have no food in my apartment and I need to eat something for dinner. I try to stay away from "fast food" so I thought panera would be a great choice, as it always is.

I ordered my sandwich (Turkey artichoke panini) and saw that I could get a bakery item for 99 cents additional. At that point the cashier (Stacey) stated that I need to order chips and a drink to get that special price on the cookie I wanted. Fine. I ordered a medium iced tea and got that small bag of chips. I decided that I wanted a holiday cookie for dessert.

Stacey rang up my order... And here is when it all turned ugly. My total for the sandwich, the drink and chips (That I didn't really even want but was forced to buy if I wanted the cookie for 99 cents) came to $10.31. I searched my pockets... No change. At this point I offer to go all the way back outside to my car to look for change, and I did so. I overhear stacey say "he has to go outside"..in a tone that seems like she is annoyed...

I was only able to find a couple of pennies in my car. Now I realize that I am short (29cents)... And I say as nicely as I could, that I am sorry that I am short the change. Stacey says "no problem". What does she do? She goes to get the manager. The manager puts in his key and the cookie is taken off my reciept. Taken off my receipt, taken out of my bag, and put back inside their case! Thats right, I was denied my cookie by the manager, and paid for my drink and chips that I didn't even want. Those were my "options".

Upon furthur thinking, I decided this just isn't right. I know I am short a few cents, but it is just not good customer service. I am very unhappy. So I go back and find the manager again. His name is don. I tell don how unhappy I am. I said that I didn't think it was right to take the cookie back since I was only short pocket change. He just listens to me, not saying anthing, which starts to make me even more upset. When I am done (And I am getting more and more animated at this point) he states, and I quote "we have certain standards".

I mean whaatttt did you just say? So now I am not up to your stores standards because I am short some cents? At that point I was so shocked that a) nothing was done to make me happy and b) the fact that the night manager said I wasn't up to the standards... That I jus becamore more and more upset. I said how I feel that is not good customer service, and that (Maybe I shouldn't have said what I said) I would tell everyone I know and deal with not to come to panera. I said it and I meant it and still mean it.

I would not waste my limited amount of free time to writing all of this over a cookie if it was just about a cookie. It is about how I was treated. Instead of making me happy by giving me a cookie (When I had to spend $ on stuff I didn't want to get the cookie) I was watched by everyone as I walked out to my car, and then denied it. Then I was told what I was told from the manager??? That just isn't right.

On my way out the door the second time, I go back to stacey and confirm that don is indeed the manager. I had to double check because I found it hard to believe that someone that would make that kind of decision would be in management. Anyways, to add insult to injury, stacey says under her breath "well you didn't have the money" when I was clearly upset at the lack of customer service provided by the manager. That just made me even more angry.

I hope that this email is taken seriously and that I am treated with the respect that I deserve. I wasn't treated right. There are many, many different meal choices on every block in every city and every town. I am perfectly fine and 100% willing to give up my panera that I love so much, if I am blown off by you (Whoever is reading and handling this) like I was by your staff in hamden ct.

I hope that I am seen as more than a customer who was short 29 cents. It is about more than that. Do you really want me to steam about this every time I think about panera? Do you really want me to tell the story of what happened to me every time im with a friend and we drive by a panera? Do you really want me to tell my customers the story when I am chit-chatting with them making small talk in between selling them products?

• In
    intellex58 Jul 16, 2011

I stopped reading about half way through when I decided your are a dipshit. You did not have enough money to buy the food you wanted, get over it.

marian021403 Feb 04, 2012

I tend to agree with the above comment...if you only have ten dollars why are you blowing it at a restaurant for a single meal? You seem like you're bragging a bit when you say you try to avoid fast food. But you could take that money to a grocery store and get a lot more, including a whole box of cookies.

jessaccino Sep 15, 2012

I agree with the replies before mine. Just by the way you said "I had to go ALL THE WAY OUT TO MY CAR"? That right there tells me you have a stick up your butt most of the time anyway, and not being able to fully pay for the food you ordered WOULD set someone like you off. It truly is not the fault of the staff of that restaurant that you did not have enough money to pay. If you wanted to re-stage the order, take off the chips and drink, and maybe just get the cookie instead of the chips and drink (perhaps the price was comparable) maybe you should have stopped fuming like a 3 year old, stopped worrying about people watching you walk to your car for some change, and SAID SO. It also sounds like you just had a bad start to the day, leaving your wallet at home and all, and were pretty much ready for a fight of some type. People like you come into the place where I work all the time, and it is ALWAYS my fault that they do not like the price of something, they do not think they should have to pay extra, or something like this, where they did not have enough money. A business is a business, and maybe at my store I would have just blew off the cents and taken it from my pocket, maybe that's not even allowed at Panera Bread. Do you know either way? You don't. I'm guessing the staff was not nearly as rude as you are making them out to be, either. This was a bad day you had, and I'm sorry, but you should probably let it go. Telling all of your friends about it every time they mention Panera seems childish and would probably annoy them. Best to move on, and maybe next time check to make sure you have your wallet before leaving the house.

• Yl
    ylpebbles Mar 24, 2013

This is a business. And it's not run by the people who you dealt with. They have to answer to people higher up if their totals come up short in the end. Do you think that's fair to them? No. And while they probably could have said something different, you are blowing this out of proportion. It's a cookie!

insanely harsh manager

I was in the Panera Bread in California, MD around 8-8:30 one night and witnessed a manager whom seemed as though she was in the process of leaving when she pulled a young girl aside and proceeded to yell at her in front of customer such as myself, and her fellow employees as well. From what I could heard it sounded as though she was being scolded for looking tired. I'm not sure about everyone else, but personally, I've had those days and would expect everyone to have had them! Yet she acted as though the girl was scaring away customers by appearing to need sleep. I'll let everyone know now that it was not to girl that is keeping me away, it is the woman whom I saw yelling at her employee. Embarrassing her in front of her peers as well as paying customers. Cut your employees some slack!

stealing from customer

I kept complaining to Paneralistens.com and even left a message at their corporate headquarters. They make their order taker double check the order and still don't give me everything in the order.

I order soup and sandwich. When I order extra cheese and extra croutons, they charge me over 70 cents extra and don't give me extra cheese and extra croutons. They don't even give me croutons anymore. There have been several times when they were even making the sandwiches without all the ingredients and selling it to me.

• Tr
    TravieTrav91 Aug 23, 2011

Please...rethink leaving your house if this is what you're worried about in life...

• IronGrudge89 Aug 23, 2011

I wish I could afford to spend $8 on a bowl of soup. Consider yourself lucky.

• IronGrudge89 Aug 23, 2011

Ahaha that's awesome.

• Be
    BeckyBear1992 Jul 14, 2012

We are technically only supposed to put 5 croutons on the soup.

jessaccino Sep 15, 2012

Do you ever say something after you receive your order? Or do you just go home and whine about it on the internet?

discrimination

I was employed by Panera Bread in Boardman and upon employment I was told of the dress code policy and...

poor customer service

I frequent panera bread both in glastonbury, ct and bristol, ct and usually have decent food and friendly service. today, while ordering the 'pick 2", the"sales person"(shannon) started arguing with me about what I ordered. I assured her I knew what I had ordered since I was reading from the menu. she became"agitated"and after a short debate she decided to submit my order as I ordered it. she was visibly angry and grabbed my money and then threw the change down on the counter. I complained to the resident gm who said she would file a complaint. she also said she corroborated my story with another sales person since this type of backup is required when dealing with human resources. i'm not sure about panera bread's hr department, but in many companies these staff functions aren't very proactive in dealing with complaints. the person (s) who should deal with these types of poor customer service issues should be the ones that are impacted by lost revenues. btw, prior to shannon"waiting" on me, she spent an inordinate amount of time taking an order from a family with a young kid who couldn't decide what she wanted to drink. her parents were similarly indecisive and while they debated this decision, the lunch line grew longer and longer. finally the kid decides on hot chocolate... great, lets move on. incredibly, shannon prolonged the agony by asking the kid if she wanted it in a mug or cup... more indecision, more waiting!!! and the line gets longer and longer and the customers get angrier and angrier...

jessaccino Sep 15, 2012

You are quite obviously one of those customers who goes into a store and thinks you should be the only one paid any attention to. The fact that you complained about her asking the customer in front of you, who was a CHILD (horrors), a legitimate question gave you away. You also disliked the fact that the family was indecisive, as if that is Panera's fault at all. You were annoyed you had to wait, so then you decided that Shannon was going to be rude to you as well, and then you decided you were going to try to ruin HER day and file a complaint, not even caring that, had she truly been rude, in the grand scheme of things at least YOU'RE a happy person, right? So who cares if she was rude? Let her have a miserable day and move on with yours. As long as you get what you paid for, why try to put the girl's job at risk? You're selfish, like many customers, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out you've never worked retail.

employs illegal mexicans

This company employs illegal mexicans to prepare your food.Taking away from work for us citezens. Not to...

general manager

The woman who is the General Manager at the Panera, auto mall store in Fremont (I believe her name i...

horrid management

I have worked for Panera Bread for about a year, and I have had a very horrible experience. First of all, the employees are treated like crap. The managers do what they want, when they want and break any rules they set down for their employees (i.e. eating in the back of the restaurant, smoking while taking out the trash, talking on cell phones, listening to MP3 players while working, etc). I tried to call the corporate store and make an anonymous complaint, but nothing happened, so i submitted another one a month later with my name, and again, no repercussions to them, but I was forced to take a week off while corporate "investigated". Then, when i returned, I was made to scrub floor stains with a Brillo pad and toothbrush for my next 3 shifts. But I was not too upset with this because I have grown used to doing all kinds of ### jobs while working there. I used to work as a server for a nice sports bar, but I realized that I would have different responsibilities while working at Paneras (i thought it would include making food or doing dishes or something of that nature) . But when I was hired as a cashier, I had no idea I would spend most of my time scrubbing out the insides of ovens, cleaning out clogged or dirty toilets and bathrooms, scraping off gum (and other substances) stains on the floor and inside refrigerators, and even scrubbing out smelly garbage bins. If I would have known that I was going to be doing janitorial work, then I would have applied as a janitor. These intense cleanings usually all happened near the end of the month when the inspections were, and the rest of the month the store was FILTHY. Also, the sanitary conditions are HORRIBLE, food is dropped and served (they joke Paneras goes by the 10 second rule), food is also kept way past expiration dates and most things that cannot be used one day are kept and reheated and served indefinitely. But that was all accepted evil.
What finally made me leave their employment was the fact that they NEVER kept to their employee's schedules. They changed people's schedules randomly and many times forgot to tell the person whose shift they changed. They would let their favored employees show up late or leave early without any punishment, while I got written up the first time I was late (I was 15 min late because I got pulled over on my way there, and I even called them and told them I'd be a few minutes late). They rarely let people go on break and if you were lucky enough to get one, they would chew you out if you clocked back in after 31 minutes instead of the 30 min break they allow. Also, like other restaurants, the managers have to count out the cashiers at the end of each person's shift before they can leave, but it was nearly impossible to get them to do it. The managers would try to dismiss you between each other, and if you could finally manage to get someone to do it, they would always be late. I understand that this thing happens, but when it becomes an every day thing, it is hard for employees to have a life. For example, I had to work until 3, and I needed to leave on time to pick up my cousin from his soccer practice so I let my managers know when I came in that I needed to leave on time, but the managers all were "too busy" to count out my drawer when the time came, and when I told them I NEEDED to leave asap, they told me "its your cousin or your job". I can understand that things get busy (and my store was very busy), but I ended up leaving work at 5 (2 hours after I was supposed to leave). This kind of thing happened so often that I got used to planning on leaving an hour late. Also, when it was time to close and clean up at night, managers told employees to clock out when the store closed and then they had to clean up (usually for about an hour) after they had clocked out. Most of the other employees are college kids and don't understand that the managers are doing a lot of illegal things. Other employees and myself have submitted complaints to corporate and again, nothing.
All this crap was considered normal practice at Paneras, and if you refused anything the managers said, you were threatened with termination. After about a year of slave work and numerous complaints without any resolve, I quit. I have submit many more complaints and I hope that this company gets their stuff together before they get in serious trouble. I hope this will reach people that are thinking of applying there so they can realize the horrible work and terrible employee treatment that Paneras lets happen in their restaurants.

Mad @ Concerned Jul 25, 2010

I beleive her complaint.Unforturnetly alot of corps. are experienceing BAD choice in Management positions. There turn over rate will be blamed on some lame excuse.Econemy is the biggest blame why they can't get paytrons in the establishment, or keep good help.Crops better wake up...This kind of behavior can lead to closings, lay offs, no customers, bad service...ECT... WAKE UP!!! Corporate America!!!

• Ic
    IcansmellyourBS Sep 10, 2010

Nobody does what you say you did. You can easily find another job that pays the same. I dont work for panera and never have but i know that you didnt scrub anything with a toothbrush.

• Ic
    IcansmellyourBS Sep 10, 2010

Oh btw [email protected] concerned...hopefully they dont hire you with your bad choice of spelling! econemy? experienceing? you know this has auto correct when you type. Actually for your info they cant get good help because people in america believe that they are entitled to their wages instead of working hard and earning it. The ECONOMY (notice the correct spelling) is in shambles because the government is selling us out buy giving corporate tax breaks and putting the burden on the working class.

• Ro
    Rod1978 Feb 08, 2011

Hello Arnold Freidman,
    Wholeheartedly agree with you regarding the horrible treatment of employees, especially if the employee is a minority. I eat a Panera 3-4 times a week, during my visits I randomly strike up a conversation with employees while they prepare the food. The Panera I frequent is located in MA - in a community where there is a large minority presence mostly comprised of immigrants from Central and South America. This single mother of three children told me just this morning (2/08/11) how the Supervisor there has blatantly ignored her requests for vacation (which she has rightfully earned) simply because they are short-staffed.

This particular story is only one of the many she's told me. One of which you have mentioned above; Panera changes s schedules randomly, employees are expected to show-up period.

The targets of this type of abuse by corporations are all too often the immigrants who come here against all odds only to find themselves enslaved.

One thing is for sure, I will express my concerns to Panera via their website and allow for a reasonable amount of time for then to make the necessary changes. If I don't see results (which I will gauge by my conversation with this employee) then the next step is to boycott Panera and spread the word on facebook and other channels. This has to stop and we "the consumers" have the power to stop it - we must send a message to Panera by taking our business elsewhere.

Rod
    [email protected]

• We
    weezy1966 Feb 08, 2011

HI Rod!! I work at a Panera in Western Mass. I just wanted to tell you that what goes on in these forums isnt the experience that Ive had working for them. Maybe it might be because our managers have been there for 3yrs or more. The employees stay as well. It IS truly hard to find employees, managers included, who really want to work and are proud of what they do nowadays, we all see it in the customer service that we get in some places. I also would like to say how awesome it is to have a customer like you who really cares. Customers as well sometimes treat us badly because we work behind a counter. (that is just my opinion) Not many thankfully!!! Thank you so much again for being caring customer..

discrimination / illegal job practices

Do not work for Panera - they care NOTHING for their employees. They care even less for their customer...

bad management / mistreating employees

Dear friends, i had 2 years working for panera bread i was hired to open the new store in pembroke pine...

food poisioning

I called in a order for a turkey sandwich for pick up on 4-14-10 and ate it after leaving the store. I ate...

bad service, unhelpful

really bad service...as usual. I went to panera and ordered a soup...and asked if a particular thing was in...

lying to employees

After working for Panera as a Baker for over a year, I realized that the company was not what I wanted as a long lasting career. The company has the potential to be great, but the lying, cost cutting and treatment of their employees was unforgivable. The treatment of women in this company especially was appalling. And I'm a Man! After going through over 15 bakers, which many of them quit after completing their so called 6 week training period, and 4 to 5 bakery managers, who are really hired just to put out fires every night, I decided to give them a 3 1/2 week notice. They were gracious and asked if I would give them 1 more week because they had nobody to replace me. I agreed if they would at least pay me the vacation time I had accrued. They agreed, and I worked out my end of the bargain. Not only that, but trained my replacement. Make a long story short, they lied to me about a raise to keep me there and I never got my vacation I deserved. Please beware, they don't have long even in this economy.

w2

I am so tired of running down my w2 from this company!!! Ihave called and e-mailed these people. i tried to even give them my change of address.I also talked to the post office to make sure the change of address was right. So where is my w2?Please contact me.

• Cy
    Cynthia Dollar Oct 04, 2012

Panera's head H&R # is (314)984-1000 inst # is 2645 his name is Bruse.
    I hope he helps.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices