Complaints & Reviews

Sold used box springs

I bought a mattress set from Ortho and I went to pick it up. I just put it in my new apartment and did not...

Defective box spring

Bought mattress & box spring from Ortho. It was delivered and set up on a bed frame we have used for years. Within a couple of days it began to sag. After a week of use, sag extreme and getting worse, making cracking noises during the night. Looked under the bed and found broken and disconnected wood with exposed nails in box spring. Visited store immediately. Initially told the box spring could be replaced in about 3 weeks. Said I didn't think the box spring could hold up. Was told a new box spring could be delivered 2 days hence but I would receive notification the afternoon before of a 4-hour delivery window. Received call late the day before of a time between 5 & 9 PM. I told them I could be available between 8 AM and 5 PM, but not after. Next available delivery dates 2nd & 3rd days later, but no time could be specified. Company refused to make any accommodation despite the fact that their product was faulty and potentially dangerous. Other details are available but that is the essence of it.

• Su
    SusanOwenby Jan 16, 2014

Ortho Mattress delivered a Rotted box springs.It looks yellow, like its real old or used.I've slept 2hrs since August on it.They wouldn't exchange it.The top is also defective.Its not at all like the bed I tested in showroom, its different.I never dreamed I was going to have a problem.I trusted Ortho.The salesman was talking about returns, before I was done buying it.My mom and I are disabled.We needed a good Mattress.This is a awful company they would not help me!!! I'm still without a bed and out $600.00.

Shoddy product

I purchased this mattress in April of this year, and in the last 3 months it has begun to wear out, by which...

Defective Mattress

This complaint is in regards to Ortho's Warranty replacement program. We purchased our mattress on 8/12/08 and have had problems with the sagging mattress causing restless nights & relentless back pain. We notified Ortho Mattress whom sent a independent mattress inspection company formally known as "Integrated Bedding Group" 2060 E. Locust St. suite A, Ontario Ca. 91761, [protected]. They came out completed an incomplete/improper inspection of the mattress & reported back to Ortho that the mattress firmness was consistant. The test performed were not relative to a person sleeping on a bed!
I believe this complaint should be aimed at Integrated Bedding Group as well who conducted a fraudulent inspection.
They conduct such tests to avoid payouts to various mattress companies who utilize them for their warranty services!

However we the consumers do have some recourse by taking action against these deceptive companies by going to the "Federal Trade Commission" the Bureau of Consumer Protection. Their you can go online and file a complaint under the Consumer Protection Tab and by submitting your complaints our voices will be heard in putting such fraudulent companies out of business only after settling our warranty complaints!
Here is their link;
or you can fight back with David Horowitz;

Good luck to us all the "consumer protection league",
Rene P

• DreamlandMattress Jan 27, 2010

Mattress inspection is a tricky thing to dispute. Most inspection companies are merely following whatever the manufacturers warranty entails.

For example, in order to call a mattress defective due to sagging, the sagging has to be as a result of spring unit failure and not body impressions. It has to be a depression at the time of examination of greater than 1 1/2".

When you are laying on the bed that impression may be much more...2-3" inches. But once you aren't on the mattress...normal re-inflation of the foam is going to occur. The chances of the "sag" being more than an 1 1/2" is going to be very slim...UNLESS there IS problems with the spring unit. It is highly likely that the mattress ISN'T covered under warranty for body impressions and is ONLY covered for spring unit issues.

Does that suck? YES IT DOES. But it doesn't necessarily indicate an issue with the inspector, it is more likely the manufacturers wording of the warranty that prohibits you getting service.

In your case you said that the inspector said: "that the mattress firmness was consistent". That is almost assuredly due to the fact that the body impression was less than 1 1/2" inches. You are correct though that the test was not done relative to someone being ON the mattress. The trouble with contesting the company based on that will be that those tests are NEVER done with someone on the bed. That fact alone is going to sink your case. If there IS a spring unit failure causing the sagging...whether you are on the bed or not the dip is likely to be more than 1 1/2". If it is not, they will, and probably rightly so, say it is a body impression that is apparently NOT covered under the Ortho warranty.

If you check out David Horowitz's site at:

You will notice that there are ZERO cases he has done against any mattress companies. Likely due to the fact that if something is spelled out correctly in a warranty and the inspector follows those guidelines, there is nothing to "Fight Back" against.

I actually own a reatail mattress store in Southern California called DreamLand Mattress. I only carry one line that even sends out inspection companies. My vendors will repair or replace based on my recommendations. If I say there's an issue, they will normally just go with that.

Have a great day!

Bruce Burnett
    Dreamland Discount Mattress
    1007 N. Azusa Ave. Covina Ca, 91722
    626 331-8044

• Re
    Recovery Jul 14, 2010

That guy Bruce is right on target...

• Ca
    CaliOC Nov 10, 2011

Precise Mattress Inspection, Not such a dream job or company to work for.

Integrity, no, customer service, no... What I got when I worked for them was harrassment and threates.
    I quit this job because I recieved threats if I would not be partial to certain clients over others.

On several occations I was told to approve a mattress for replacement (refrerred to as a defect) for a customer who's mattress was not really defected, but because the customer was friends with the owners or other managment or owners of mattress stores or someone in manufacturing, they foreced inspectors to lie on inspection forms, if we asked questions we could lose our jobs.

On other occations, the owners woudl falsify their own inspection forms for the same reasons, and on at least two occations one of the owners would indicate they were in a city and state doing an inspection, but have the same date of another inspection in another city and state.

On several occations I found the owners inspection reports to be misleading and not in accordance with their own training of inspectors. Poor quality photos, unable to tell if mattress was truely defective or not.

On at least one occation inspectors were forced to not find defects after a certain quota otherwise we would have to pay for the mattresses out of our own pockets.

Still yet, I was told I would be working in a certain geographical area and later was told I had to drive hundreds of miles to do one inspection, costing me wear and tear on my vehicle and gas out of pocket, and they owners would get angry if you spent to much on gas and only give you a gas card which sometimes worked. Other cost we had to pay out of our pockets.

All in all I had to quit this job because of the threats and false claims they forced employees to make on reports and favortism they played. Not exactly integrity and service and deffinatley NOT a Dream Job.

The mattress inspection company get's paid for each inpsection, along the lines of $25.00 per inspection. Do the math, Each inspector, gets an average of 5-6 per day and they have 10-15 inspectors working in different states. I was told by the owners regardless of defect found. The more inspections and repeat inspections the more the comapny makes, we were threatened to have quotas also, I think they made bonuses if they kept the returned mattresses to a certain number or why elese would they threaten employees they'd have to pay for the mattress if it was found to be not a defect by the MFR.

Rotted wood Frame

I purchased a Queen size Box Frame and Mattress on 12/20/08. It was Delivered on a Day that i was at work and...

Bad Quality

On November 28, 2008, we purchased three sets of of Sealy Posturepedic, Dante Park Mattresses for a total of $2874.01. During the first three months, the mattresses were firm, however each month thereafter, they became less comfortable with body indentations becoming apparent and quickly turning into hammocks.We bought this to the attention of Ortho, Paid the $58.00 fee for them to send an inspector out, who found the mattresses to be as stated. They agreed to replace the mattresses if we paid $119.00 ea. for their upgrade and a delivery fee. They take no blame for this particular brand, that didn't last three months. The CEO Kenneth Karmin never responded to either of our letters, and since we refused to pay more money they have as much as said either pay for another set of keep what you have. We
could care less. They refuse to acknowledge that this particular brand is defective. We went to another Ortho store and told them what had happened to our mattresses, and without saying what had happened, we were told the Dante Park had hammock indentations, without us ever mentioning hammock. The physical damage is that our backs are killing us everyday after sleeping in a sunken hole everynight.

• Jm
    Jmes Dec 01, 2009

I wish I would have read the above before I bought at Ortho. I also bought a Dante Park mattress, which has performed EXACTLY as the previous poster described. To say I feel like I was taken is an enormous understatement at this point. I was not aware of the "warranty's" $58 inspection fee nor the $119 replacement fee when I purchased the mattress, of course I wasn't expecting it to turn into a hammock less than a year after I purchased it. I was going to write good ol' CEO Ken Karmin also, but after reading the above I guess I won't bother. What a douchebag.

• Hh
    H Hass Feb 08, 2010

I wish I had found this site before we purchased from Ortho. We purchased a Queen Size mattress and box spring from the LaQuinta store. The mattress was on sale on New Years for $2, 000 and it was rated firm plush. When delivered it was so hard, not comortable like the one in the store so we went back within 2 days to complain. We had to wait in line because there were others there complaining about mattress' not being what they were told. The sales man suggested we try to sleep on it for a few more weeks. This is our second home so it gets slept on one or two nights every week or two. But it never got any better and i started to have back problems. I finally went back and told the sales person this is really bad, he basically said oh well we get this mattress back all the time but you have to pay 20% restocking and the regular price for the mattress you want and yes you have to pay for delivery again! He told me that the mattress they deliver is never like the sample on the floor in the few weeks we had ours he had 3 others sent back. I think Ortho is using the restocking and bait and switch of the floor sample to create a new revenue stream. We should have known better, we had others tell us they were really bad to deal with. Then they set the redelivery told us they would call us and let us know when they could get the new mattress and the delivery guys called from our house - we told them we didn't know you were coming because Ortho is done with us they don't give a damn so nobody called. DON'T BUY FROM ORTH YOU'LL REGREAT IT FOR A LONG TIME AND IT'S A LOT OF MONEY FOR NOTHING. We had a much better experience a few years ago at our primary residence when we had a problem with a guest room mattress that we bought from Macy's they couldn't do enough to make it right and they didn't charge us another $795.00 to make it right!

• Re
    RestlessinLA Dec 22, 2016

@H Hass I only wish I had found this site before I purchased from Ortho. Two weeks ago I purchased a $2800 Ortho brand Avant 12" mattress with an adjustable bed frame. I truly do not think I have the same mattress that I tried out in the store for over 45 minutes, which was much firmer than the model they actually delivered. When the delivery guys arrived it was nearly 9 pm and they were non-communicative with me. They assembled the bed to their liking and did not give me an opportunity to give any input. The bed was assembled at the maximum height of 8", which I didn't realize until they had left. They also added the guard railings at the foot of the bed, which clearly stated on the assembly instructed of the platform to as customer if they want them installed. The railing make it different to secure the bedding each morning.

From the first night I slept in the bed, I felt like I was going to have a nose bleed because I felt too high up from the floor and I literally fell out of the bed onto the floor while making a trip to the rest room. I tossed and turned most the night and woke up with a bad headache, accompanied with muscle soreness. I tried contacting the store in Torrance about the bed being too high, because the one that I tried in the store was certainly not set up as high. The sales rep that assisted told me that I would have to adjust the bed down myself by removing the 3" leg extensions that were screwed into the 5" legs which gave it a total height of 8". Although I stand approximately 5' 10.5" tall, with the mattress and bed support made the bed ridiculously high. So at the suggestion of the sales rep, my husband and I tried to remove the 3" leg cylinders and found that only three of them easily came off. I am not sure why the fourth one was on so tight, but my husband or any other male in our household nor any of our neighbors could help us get it off. I then called the store back and the corporate office for further resolution. The sales rep manager at the store basically told me it was my problem to get the other cylinder off and suggested I go buy an oil filter wrench, because if they had to come back out, it was going to cost $58. I could not believe that after spending so much money on this bed that the sales rep would act so unconcerned about helping us get the matter resolved.

We took the entire leg off the bed and took it into a local auto supply store, where one of the guys there courteously removed the extension off with one of the oil filter wrenches at no charge. It took him and two other guys to hold the leg while he struggled to remove the 3" portion of the leg. The auto rep said it seemed like it had been over-tightened on purpose, especially when I mentioned how easy the other ones came a loose. I guess the delivery men showed me a thing or two for calling in to their where house earlier that day to find out why they were running so late on my delivery time.

Needless to say, it has now only been a few weeks and I am definitely not satisfied with my purchase. The firmness already seems to be wearing off and I am already starting to wake up feeling almost as tired again as I did with my old mattress set. I feel that I am stuck as indicated when I called l the store manager and their headquarters with minor issues that never got properly addressed. Their policy locks you in without many options of relief once they bring the mattress out to your home. After viewing these complaints and further reading of their return policy, the customer will either deal with it or end up paying more fees to possibly get a replacement. Bottom line is I wish I had purchased my mattress from somewhere else that is going to stand behind their products and service.

• Lu
    Lucia89 Sep 15, 2010

I also wish I had found this site before purchasing a mattress for $1225.00 from Ortho. Besides having poor quality mattresses, they have the worst return policy. They make it almost impossible for customers to return their poor quality mattresses. The mattress I bought was horrible!!!. It felt like I was sleeping on the floor. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM ANY ORTHO store. You will waste your money!!! I should have searched for reviews before walking into one of their store.

• Dm
    D. Macy Jul 20, 2012

I agree 100%. I wish I had read this complaint article before purchasing from Ortho. I too am going through a defective mattress problem. And had called the store 2 weeks after my purchase, and explained that there is a sagging in the center. well, it is 2 months now, 11 phone calls with still no resolve.
    As, I told customer service yesterday, (which they took all this time to respond to my complaints) I have no intention in schelping this defective mattress 1 1/2 hours away to trade it in for a new mattress, because they have "approved my warranty return" or even purchasing an upgrade for an additional cost .
    I just want my money back, and I will purchase a mattress somewhere else. Because you just don't treat customers with this much disrespect. Again, no response. DO NOT PURCHASE FROM ANY ORTHO STORE! It is mentally straining, and a waste of time and money!!!

• Or
    Ortho Deciet Dec 02, 2018

@D. Macy The Company that does the Mattress Inspections is working in tandem with Ortho and from what I can tell, "Sit and Sleep" They are not certified. I requested t find and use my own Inspectors due to the fiasco the first time around dealing with this Bogus Company...I was told that I could find my own company but they must be certified. There's NO SUCH THING. There is no "Certified Mattress Inspector" companies nor is Integrated Bedding a Certified Company. There's some organizations and Bureaus everyone experiencing issues with these mattress companies need to write in order to STOP to these Fraudulent Practices, and Companies. I'm not sure how to connect to all these people yet, but I'm working on it. They Must Be Stopped!

• Or
    Ortho Deciet Nov 29, 2018

Ortho Mattress Stores, obviously & knowingly, have been getting away with selling DEFECTIVE MATTRESSES for a long time. Each time I find another complaint against them I see that my issue with a sinking, dipping, lousy mattress after a few months use is the Norm. READ ABOUT ORTHO BEFORE YOU BUY. This company has been operating fraudulently for years. It was once a fine store with integrity; this is no longer the case. We already exchanged our first mattress with another, higher priced mattress last year. A few months later we our again going through the exact same problems with a sagging mattress, body aches and pains, and being stuck with another bad Ortho product in our guest room which we do not and cannot sleep on. Had I known that this company routinely operates in deceptive practices with defective merchandise I would have steered clear of them and their worthless products. We are stuck with this product until an Investigation is complete; which now I am sure there's enough information on numerous sites that will prove my complaint valid.

Scammers

I purchased a Simmons mattress in May 2008 from Ortho Mattress Co. After approximately 1 year the mattress, which cost over $1000, began to sag in several areas. It is like sleeping in a valley. You can't get comfortable sleeping on the mattress unless you position yourself in the area where the mattress sags. I called to complain to Ortho. I filled out the required forms and sent in a fee of $58.00. Ortho sent out an "unbiased, objective" outside company to inspect the mattress. The inspection company determined that the mattress was only sagging 1 inch. The inspection process appears to be heavily biased against the consumer. I believe that unless the mattress looks like it was runover by MAC truck they will determine that the mattress is defective. The mattress can sag up to 1.5 inches before Ortho will replace the mattress.

I have also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). The BBB gives Ortho Mattress Co an F rating. According to the BBB there are 80 complaints on file; Ortho has only answered 4 complaints.

I believe that the mattress business is one step BELOW the used car business. Do yourself a favor and do not buy from ortho and avoid Simmons mattresses. Simmons recently filed for bankruptcy, which is not a surprise.

• Jv
    jvbush1017 Sep 16, 2011

Same thing happened to us! HUGE bump in the middle of our bed and deep sinking on the sides where we sleep. We even rotated as recommended for the first 60 days so this wouldn't happen. Terrible product, horrible service.

Awful company

Earlier this year we moved to a new place. We wanted to get a new mattress as the old one was not comfortable anymore. So me and my husband went to Ortho Mattress to get a new one. We had the worst experience there from the moment we entered all we got from them was lies. We bought a mattress which cost us $1500. When it was delivered we noticed that there was a big dent in the center. E called them and complained.

Well it took them two months to send some one to get it checked. It was so uncomfortable I don't want to recollect how we managed those two months. When the guy came to check it he told us that it was defective. He left and told us to contact support. I did and then again it took them weeks to send us another one. Well nothing changed the mattress which we got was no good in fact it was worse than the previous one. We were really pissed-off now. Couldn't they send a new mattress with no defect? We did not want a refund only what we ordered for but that was to hard for them. It is the worst company I have ever dealt with in my entire life.

• Am
    AmBROOKS Dec 09, 2010

MATTRESS IS NOT THE SAME ONE THAT I TRIED OUT IN THE STORE...THIS COMPANY SUCKS ...ORTHO STORE IN TORRENCE..

• Sk
    SKMol Jan 10, 2014

I bought a new mattress and the adjustable base this summer. I am just over 5 feet tall. I asked them to wait because I was having the floors redone. I called every 2-3 days to make sure They knew that i still wanted it. When I then called to ask them to deliver it, the very rude store manager told they had sold it because they thought I did not want it. I talked to him ever time I called. In spite of the large signs all over the store about same day delivery, he rudely told me they had to make a new mattress and it would take a week. It was a beauty rest. When they finally delivered it after 8:00 pm they complained that it was soo heavy. They refused to attach it to my headboard as promised and when I pointed out how high it was they said they only delivered the merchandise. It is at mid hip. I am 69 yrs old and have arthritis in my hip. All things which I had discussed with the store manager hen I ought it. I paid cash. This was at the Burbank store. Dozens of my calls have been ignored.

Ortho Mattress won't honor comfort warranty

Ortho Mattress - www.orthomattress.com

We purchased an expensive mattress from Ortho only to have to replace it a year later because it was defective. They exchanged it and the mattress they replaced it with is not as comfortable as the one we had. We called within the required warranty period to have it replaced on a comfort claim. The gave us the run around for over a month and finally my husband talked to Terry who made an offer. He was upset and told he would call back to let her know. She said okay, and when he called back she refused to honor the offer she had made. Now they won't even discuss the issue. They just say we don't do comfort exchanges for this issue.

• Mc
    m collazo Aug 12, 2008

Recently I ran into a jam about furnishing for my child about to begin college. At the last moment we needed to accquire bedding for his new college dorm. Since I can remember my parents and now my family have accquire Ortho Mattress and have been so satsified.

I went to your La Cienga and Melrose location and accquire bedding costing near $900.00. I firmly requested that the bed be delivered on Monday, before noon, I was assured this would happen. Monday came and the delivery people explained that was not possible. My son, has since began a sporting camp with his university and is not able to recieve the bedding. I entered the store on Monday and explained the situation. I told your associate that he would come into the store when he returns and accquire another bed of his choice when he returns. I was told that the money would be returned to my card in 10 - 15 minutes. I requested a fax copy of this efforts and was shooed from the store at that time, promisingit would come. Later that day, when it did not arrive, I contacted the phone by telephone and requested the status of the return and fax. I was then told that what i was promised would not happen and it would take 10 - 15 business days for this transaction to be credited to my account. This really sucks. I am aware of returns to credit cards, and the standard is 5 days. I was so alarmed by the dishonest practice that i have contacted my credit card company to dispute the charges. I have alerted the BBB, and contacted my family and asked them to take this information in hand when considering a purchase location. I would like to think this is one associate with bad information and a lack of customer service efforts. I have sent a copy of this email to your CEO. I would like a response and how you intend to make this right. My son is without a bed and wanted to return to this location on Thursday. You policy have made this impossible.

• Di
    Diana Greenberg Nov 13, 2010

I have the same experience; I bought 2 mattresses from ortho mattress and paid $2348.98 with tax. One was a Full size that was firm and their cheapest for 459.99 but this was just going to my spare bedroom. The one we sleep in was 1699.99 and it was an M-900 Ortho Tempered Visco Matt-Queen. What was delivered was a Model 085; prototype ID:91 Visco Elastic Polyurethene Foam Pad 66%; the salesperson states it was the same mattress. I have many sleepless nights since we change to this mattress. We have called them multiple times and they claimed that there is a break in time up to three months and it has been 3 months now and it was still the same. My latest communication with them was this week and they stated that I need to pay an additional 399.99 dollars for a comfort exchange which I told them no way. I ask for their manager or president and this person said that she cannot give it to me. I told them that they are giving the run around and will find a way to expose them.

• Ki
    Kimberly D M Feb 19, 2020

@Diana Greenberg Ortho warranty is a scam. They gave me so many reasons they would not honor it and when they realized I was not going to accept the bogus claims of blaming me, they said I had nullified the warranty by removing one of the tags on the mattress. BOGUS WARRANTY.

• Di
    Diana Greenberg Nov 13, 2010

See comment above

• Sl
    sleeplessnont Sep 11, 2013

My husband and I purchased an Ortho Mattress Avant 10 Queen Mattress from the Ontario, CA store. When we were in the store my husband laid down on the bed for a long time. I talked to Todd about what deal he could get us on the box spring, rails, mattress cover and mattress. I told him I didn't care for the pillows. From a Labor Day sale price of $1799, he brought it down to $1500. He said he would throw in the box spring, rails, and mattress cover for free. My husband and I accepted. My husband told us that he really liked the pillows and asked how much they were. Todd started at like $90 and my husband worked him down to $60. We signed the invoice. My husband asked for his pillows. Todd handed him some new pillow in a bag. My husband said he wanted to check them out. As soon as he touched them he said they were different. He took them out and asked Todd to compair. Todd said they were the same. My husband insisted that they weren't Todd said it is the same. My husband said he no longer wanted them. Todd said he could take the floor model pillows. The day after I noticed an add that said, Ortho Mattress Labor Day sale: no tax or free pillows. We were charged both Tax and for the pillows. On the day of delivery my husband touched the mattress and told the delivery guys that this was not the same mattress that he laid in at the store. The delivery guys told him that he needed to contact the store, but that it was usually for it to feel different at first. We laid in it for a week and couldn't sleep any night. We kept on waiking up. Got up feeling soare and tired every night. We walked into the store to complain. Todd told us not to worry that he would call me on Monday after speaking with customer service. No call on Moday. I called customer service and was given the run around. Told I was gonna be charged this and that. I am trying to schedule for a mattress inspector to come into my home and inspect the mattress and the one in the store. Any advice?

• Ki
    Kimberly D M Feb 19, 2020

I have been completely given a bogus denial on the warranty that states 10 years. I have only had mine for 4 years, in a guest room, the mattress, boxspring and frame purchased and installed by Ortho. After telling me it was stained (it is in perfect condition), then saying they were sorry and agree the pictures show no stains, they said maybe I had kids or pets(have had zero of either), then said it had a bent frame and I should have inspected it and replace some it after a year so that nullified 5he warranty, then said something must have happened in my house because the wood of the boxspring was broken in the middle, directly under the slump (my assumption is because the mattress is slumping 2 3/8”!), then finally said the actual reason they were denying the warranty is because I had removed one of the tags from the bed. What a scam of a warranty. NEVER AGAIN. ORTHO WARRANTY IS A SCAM.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices