Having problems with Norton?

Norton reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Aug 14, 2006. The latest review 360 virus protection was posted on Jun 4, 2021. The latest complaint refund of annual subscription was resolved on Apr 10, 2020. Norton has an average consumer rating of 4 stars from 328 reviews. Norton has resolved 219 complaints.

Norton Customer Service Contacts

1800 680 026 (Australia)
1800 720 7898 (Singapore)
1800 441 7077 (Thailand)
1800 944 0586 (Colombia)
+1 855 815 2726 (United States)
+64 800 174 089 (New Zealand)
+44 207 616 5600 (United Kingdom)
+353 16 011 906 (Ireland)
+32 22 566 625 (Belgium)
+420 239 016 463 (Czech Republic)
+45 35 258 010 (Denmark)
+352 298 479 5023 (Luxembourg)
+31 205 040 539 (Netherlands)
+351 800 780 066 (Portugal)
+41 442 120 032 (Switzerland)
+852 25 981 234 (Hong Kong)
+60 377 124 612 (Malaysia)
+27 218 192 830 (South Africa)
+82 220 971 401 (South Korea)
+54 115 354 0370 (Argentina)
350 Ellis Street
Mountain View, California

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Norton Customer Service. Initial Norton complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Norton above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Norton. Discuss the issues you have had with Norton and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Norton Complaints & Reviews

Symantec / Norton Confidentialno subscription key sent

I renewed my subscription for Norton Confidential on line on 24th Dec 2008, but I have not received the subscription key number by e-mail to complete the transaction. My payment went through on 25th Dec 2008. I am still being asked to renew my subscription. Please send me the subscription key number or I will stop subscribing.

Shelagh Norton.

Norton / Symantec — rebate

I purchased a Norton product with a $20 rebate and was sent the $20 rebate as a "Visa Debit" card. What a...

Norton Internet Security 360payment no service

I purchased the Norton Security System 360 on line on Dec.3, 2008 for $59.99 via credit card. As of this date [protected]) I hleave not received any conformation that the system was activated. I keep getting reminders (popups) that state that my free subscription has expired.I understand from other websites that this company is a fraudulant system. Iwould like to know if there is any recourse (on my part) concerning this situation ?Thanking you in advance.Please e-mail as to possible resolution in this matter.Yours truly, Michael Perrino

• 3s
        3SYMBOLS May 23, 2009

JUST GET AVG FREE INSTALL IVE HEARD OF THIS FROM SEVERAL PEOPLE ABOUT THE SAME PROBLEM

• Am
        Amy Riley May 23, 2009

I too, purchased Norton Security, on-line .They took my money with no return of a product .
        I'm really upset about this . When you go to there web page to talk to somone live about this problem there is no one to do that with . So they took my money of 59.99 as well. I think they should be sued !!!

Amy Riley

Norton Internet Security 2008no product key

I dont understand how you people can take my money and dont deliver a product!!!
      You send me a conformation letter with the order #[protected] .
      This letter states that in order to be able to download a liscence product, you have to put in the product key#, and that number is located on the email conformation letter. Well as you guessed it, you did not put that product key # in that letter, nor can I contact you on your contact list to be able to ask someone. It sounds like you dont want to be notified to fix this problem but you have no problem taking my money.

Feel free to contack me anytime at [protected]@securespeed.us
      NOT VERRY HAPPY WITH YOUR SERVICE

• Ga
          Gayel Colliver Aug 05, 2008

Have been charged for program Norton Internet Security 2008 that won"t installe on the computer. Emailed the contact Support 2 times as of to date no answer. Would appreciate any help on problem.

Norton / Symantecstore.com / Drhm / Servlet / Controllerservletdownload from internet that did not work after six hours!!

Hello, Certainly hope you can help me with this, "BIG PROBLEM", since Sept.30th, 2008 when this poped up on my screen telling me I had one day to upgrade. The cost was $69.99 + $8.99 for the download that took six hours on a dial-up computer. This is no joke and I want my money back grand total of $78.98, "or for them to send me a new one to my address to download onto my computer myself. Thank You for any help, Norman&Shrley Beitz <[protected]@route24.net>i24.net> wrote:

Symantec CorporationFraud and scam

I bought the Norton 360 anti-virus from Fry's electronics. I already had the Norton anti-virus on my machine (Vista) that came pre-installed. The license had expired. They have a $20 mail in rebate for upgrades. The instructions for previous owners of pre-loaded (OEM) software products are as follows:

1. Go to the help/About screen in your pre-loaded software
          2. ..
          3. Scrn print
          4. Send the printed image of the help/About screen

Now, the old norton anti-virus does not even have a help/About screen. On clicking help, it goes to the help screen without any information of the product etc.

This is a SCAM - watch out, you will most likely miss these instructions or you will give up searching for the help/About screen. Even if you do manage to find the help screen, they may reject it as there is no definition of what the help/About should look like. Fortunately I did not open the software and will be returning it.

Symantec / Norton Antivirusautomatic renewal

automatic renewal and charging my credit card without my approval on November 25, 2008. I sent a message asking for reimbursment ; no answer.

• To
                Tom Mullaney Oct 20, 2009

There is a class action lawsuit against Symantec for these practices. The lead attorney for the class is Thomas M. Mullaney ([email protected]) if you wish to discuss your complaint

• Me
                Mel Dec 08, 2008

SAME HAPPENED TO ME TODAY!! Called Symantec..to no avail! Called credit card company and talked with dispute person, with whom resolved it immediately! This is considered credit card FRAUD! I am contacting my attorney and FBI! I have been advised not to contact Symantec Hdqrtrs at this point in time..until persued thru legal system.

Feel free to reply!
                Mel

• Me
                Mel Dec 08, 2008

Same Identical thing happened to me!! SAME!! I did call credit card company today, they resolved it immediately..but prior calls to Symantec to no AVAIL!! I am as well ALERTED and concerned! THIS IS CONSIDERED CREDIT CARD FRAUD!! I am calling my attorney and the FBI! I would love to see a mass public consumer suit over this, whatever that term is! I was advised not to call corporate HDQRTS at this point in time..don't want them to be alerted until pursued thru legal system!!

Feel free to respond!
                Thanks,
                Mel

• Je
                Jerry Steenson Oct 02, 2008

They are doing automatic renewals on credit cards without letting people know. The only reason I found out, I'm pretty sure, is that my credit card had expired. So, they sent me an email to try to prod me into renewing it. I uninstalled their junk 6 months ago. And, I never signed up for this. I would never sign up for something like that. They probably hid this as some "option" in an obscure place in the ordering process when I first bought the stuff. I wonder how many millions of dollars they've stolen from people by doing this.

Norton Symantec unauthorized billing

Norton Anti-Virus billed my checking account in the amount of $49.99 on 11/24/08. I did not authorized Symantec - Norton to bill my private checking account and I demand that I be reimbursed in the full $49.99.

• Ri
                  richard_cranium Feb 07, 2009

I had the same problem with Norton, When my wife installed the anti virus program it automaticly subscribed her to " automatic renewal" .
                  Fast forward to one year later and it is renewal time . She no longer is using Norton and got an e-mail telling her that her subscription would be automaticly renewed, and asked me to cancell it.
                  I loged on to thier website and found I needed an account number to cancell the renewal process.
                  They then provided a number to me, which when entered into thier system stated that the number was incorrect... Long story short.. by the time that I got it straightened out we were charged the $49.00 fee
                  After this my mother went through the same scenario. While the Symatec web site had beed updated to make it easier to "find" information on the renewal process it was still a shell game to actually cancell the subcription to automatic renewal..In the end she just cancelled her credit card and got a new one to avoid being charged...

• Gi
                  Give em hell, Harry Jan 31, 2009

I have seen many with same complaint as you and I both experienced.
                  I contacted the Department of Justice in NH and are pursuing it, with already a letter sent to Symantec! With letter to Dept. of Justice, I included almost 20 pages of complaints from many different people! Though it maybe out of their jurisdiction to look outside of NH for complaints, I wanted them to be aware of all of these people being hit with unauthorized charges from Symantec!

People, with same problem. contact your state's Dept of Justice, Consumer Protection Antitrust Bureau! Enough complaints sent from Dept. of Justices, Consumer Protection/Antitrust Bureau to Symantec
                  Symantec will HAVE to DO SOMETHING!! They already have a few class action suits..nothing to do with this particular problem, though.

Many Thanks..pls forward onto others!

Norton Anti - Virus — unauthorized charge

Unauthorized credit card billing from norton annual renewal [protected] ca for $54.04. I never haad norton...

Norton Anti Virus — billing

In October I sent an email that i've not used Norton when my computer crashed in early spring. I...

Symantec — unauthorized annual renewal

Charge for Norton annual renewal [protected] CA, Plan Name PPLNO1 is erroneous. I no longer have this on my...

Symantec — misled about downloads/updates

October 30, 2008 Nadine R. Aydt PO Box 410 Washington St. Lewis, IA 51544 Lori Swanson Attorney...

Lewis

Symantec / Norton 360 Securityearly expiration of license

On several occassions, the application has prompted that my license has expired when it was not. The latest incident occurred on 10/25/2008. My subscription doesn't expire until March 2009. I called support twice and they were not able to resolve the issue. The first technician lied and said he would call back to continue to work with me, I had to call support again. The second technician also lied and said he would call back, never heard from him. I worked with them for several hours, leaving my computer vulnerable to viruses.

Ultimately I had to install an earlier version of the software to protect my system.

Symantec CorporationRebate scam

This complaint is regarding a rebate offer. Symantec offered a $25 rebate on the purchase of its Norton 360 software if purchased between 2/24/08 and 3/29/08 (promotion # 08-04998). On 3/22/08 I purchased the Norton 360 software for $74.99. I mailed in the rebate with supporting documentation on 3/24/08. After waiting 8 weeks and not receiving the rebate or a reply, I sent an online inquiry to Symantec asking about the rebate. I did not receive a reply to my inquiry. I called their 800 number and spoke with a representative who told me to resubmit my rebate and gave me the resubmission address. I resubmitted the rebate on 6/10/08. Again, I did not receive the rebate or a response. So, I again resubmitted the rebate on 8/28/08. Again, I did not receive the rebate or a response. On 10/15/08 I sent another online inquiry asking about the status of my rebate. This time I did get a reply. The rebates customer service person called Diego emailed me back that they were unable to find a record of my rebate submission and I could not resubmit it because this promotion was closed. Only after the promotion was closed did they respond to me. They had no intention of honoring the rebate offer and just wait for people to give up. The reason I purchased their product and not another was because of the rebate offer. This company is misleading consumers by getting them to purchase a $75 product with the promise of a $25 rebate that they have no intention of paying. A quick search of the internet found several other people complaining because they did not receive their rebates from Symantec, so this is not an isolated case. I have filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and urge others who have had a similar experience with Symantec to do the same.

Symantics / Norton Securityannual renewal

I was not planning to renew the Norton Security on my PC for this year. When the reminder came up that my subscription was going to expire within a month, I opted not to renew. Tried to uninstall the program using their uninstall option but program did not go away.

Received nearly hourly reminders of the renewal. After several days, I received an "upgrade now" message and wasn't sure if it was for my current subscription, so I upgraded and was charged as a renewal for the next year. There was no message regarding any fees for the upgrade or fees for the renewal until I saw it as a message AFTER the upgrade.

• Vw
                        V. Wilson Dec 19, 2009

I am a Canadian. I am trying to renew my Norton 360 which expires in one day. When I enter my phone number, which of course has a Canadian area code .Your information informs me that I must enter a valid phone number, which I of have. but it still insists that the information submitted requires to be valid. What is wrong?

cheryl jordan Dec 01, 2008

I am not aware that I gave permission for Norton to renew my security for my computer. I broke down my computer three months ago and stored it away. I need this renewal to be credited back to me. I will not be using my home computer for approximately 18 months.

Hilda Rivera Nov 17, 2008

I DON'T HAVE ANY OTHER COMMENT !

CONFIRM

Hilda Rivera Nov 17, 2008

I had a problem with the program a couple of months ago where it suggested to be uninstalled and reinstalled. The program was never able to be reintalled although we tried for several days and I was unable to find a working phone number to contact customer support, so I was forced to buy a different program. I have not had Norton for several months now but I received a statement from my credit card with charges from your company. I never received notification stating I was going to be charged for a renewal. I never authorized the renewal, therefore, I never authorized the charges made to my credit card ($49.99) for the renewal of the program on 11/17/08. This was a scam, you took advantage of my credit card information and charged me without my concent. I want the money to be credited back to my account, or I will take legal action against your company. I want my credit card information to be removed from your computers and the automatic renewal. I am not interested in doing business with you. I would like someone to contact me regarding this matter as soon as possible. Hilda Rivera([protected]

• Ru
                        Ruth Hoover Sep 24, 2008

Symantec — spyware virus removal

I paid 99.00 for spyware & virus removal service, a 30 day program to eliminate spyware from pc. Was on for...

Norton (Dri*symantecmyord.com / Symmncredit card charge

I had to remove the virus system the same day
                      because it slowed my computer down so much and
                      it was to hard to get into anything.
                      I am having a hard time getting in touch with any one to have the charge removed from my credit card.

cheryl l billinger May 25, 2010

already am signed up til Nov 2010 & am getting charged $ 70.00 a month the last couple months, I registered my # then I get charged again!!!

• Ro
                          rodolfo powell Apr 26, 2009

i dont know what you mean by comment cannot be empty. i told you my problem above. what else do you want me to say.

• Ro
                          rodolfo powell Apr 26, 2009

ORDER #[protected]. ON 4/09/09 I PURCHASED A NORTON ANTI VIRUS FOR $39.99 FROM YOUR COMPANY SYMANTEC.COM. I PAID WITH A DEBIT CARD. YET I HAVE SPENT HOURS TRYING TO DOWNLOAD THE VIRUS PROTECTION FOR HOURS. I ALSO, CONTACTED YOUR SUPPORT SYSTEM - NOTHING. IAM IN CONTACT WITH MY CREDIT CARD COMPANY TO HAVE THUS CHARGE REMOVED FROM MY CRDIT-DEBIT CARD. I DON/T UNDERSTAND WHY THERE IS SO MUCH PROBLEM DOWNLOADING A SIMPLE SOFWARE. EVEN TRYING TO GETTING IN TOUCH WITH YOU IS SUCH A PROBLEM. PLEASE REFUND MY DEBIT CHARGE. NAME IS : RODOLFO POWELL 173 WYCKOFF AVE. BROOKYN NEW YORK 11237. UNLESS YOU CAN HAVE THE PRBLEM RESOLVE INMEDIETELY!!

CHARLES P[ETTIGREW Mar 20, 2009

I PURCHASES SOMETHING FROM YOU ON MY DISCOVER CARD FOR THE PRICE OF$43.98. ITHOUGHT IT WAS TO RENEW MY SYMANTEC SUBSCRIPTION FOR MY COMPUTER. THE DATE WAS 2/17/09. SO IF YOU COULD TAKE IT BACK, RETURN MY MONEY $43.98 TO MY DECOVER CARD .ORDER #[protected] PLEASE GET BACK TO ME ON THIS MATER.

• Da
                          Daniel Garciduenas Nov 19, 2008

I would like to return the norton ghost 14.0 and my bank card credited back sorry to say the product did not work the way i thought it would. I took it off my pc and would like my money back my order number is
                          [protected]
                          DANIEL GARCIDUENAS
                          p.s
                          please get back to me on this matter

• De
                          Delores Nov 13, 2008

I am having the same problem

Norton 360 — scam and cheating

I just got off the phone with customer service from Norton.They are supposed to refund $69.99 for an order...

Franklin

Norton Anti Virusscam and cheating

I was charged directly from my bank account two weeks before my Norton Anti Virus subscription was due and when I called to let them know that I did not want their service and wanted a refund I was told by their representatives I would get my money within 5 to 10 days, it has already been almost two months and still no sign of my money. Every time I call to inquire about my money it is always the same story and my problem never gets resolved. I do not ever recall ever enrolling in their automatic renewal service, which they claim I did. I just feel that they are constantly lying to me and hope that I give up so they could keep my money.

• Lf
                            lfmorgan Nov 25, 2008

Been using computer since 1951 and What Norton Antivirus routinely does to control people's computers shound not go unpunished or unpublisized

Joel Warner Sep 04, 2008

I to have experienced Nortons antivirus scam. When you call the customer service number it never connects to a rep. It loops around to the beginning of the message. Does anyone know how to get a real refund. Also, the computer it was on crashed because it failed to detect a virus.

Norton Annual Renewalbilled to my capital one account and I do not have internet anymore I want a refund.

I did not purchase this item of Norton Anti Virus Renewal as a matter of fact I do not have the Internet anymore.

Beside the item on my Capital One bill was this number which I tried to reach but it would not go through [protected] CA
                          This was put on my bill on July 31, 2008. I want you to give me a complete credit back to my account and cancel this forever never to be put on my account again immediately.

You can reach me by e-mail [protected]@yahoo.ca I can go to the library or my son's home to retrieve my e-mails.
                          or call me and leave a message at my home number [protected]
                          I would appreciate a reply very soon as I want the $71.31 credited back to my Capital One Card which I just received and is due Sept 8. I will give you my Capital One card when you reply to this complaint.

Thankyou,
                          Gail Kelly

Jacques Dec 19, 2008

I have been victim of a theft. I have received an invoice of Norton that I have never ordered the 28 november to amount of $70. There is at least eight years that I am using more this software (too expensive for me) What do I do? Thank you for your help

Angelique Rabus Sep 19, 2008

I have received my Capital one Bill and I have found a charge that I have never purchased from your company. The computer that I had original put the Norton Virus protector, has not had internet connected to it since 2006. I know I would never have bought an automatic renewal, mainly because I don't believe technology last long. I could be using something completely different next year. I would greatly appreciate a credit on my account, as soon as possible for the amount charged: $42.91.

Thanks,

Angel

• Sh
                              sharon Silmon Aug 24, 2008

This renewal was charged to credit card and I didn't agree to a renewal. I don't even have that software on my computer anymore. They charged me 59.99 for this crap and I can't even get through to talk to their consultants.