Having problems with Norton?

Norton reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Aug 14, 2006. The latest review Poor Customer Technical Assistance was posted on Jun 18, 2021. The latest complaint refund of annual subscription was resolved on Apr 10, 2020. Norton has an average consumer rating of 4 stars from 329 reviews. Norton has resolved 219 complaints.

Norton Customer Service Contacts

1800 680 026 (Australia)
1800 720 7898 (Singapore)
1800 441 7077 (Thailand)
1800 944 0586 (Colombia)
+1 855 815 2726 (United States)
+64 800 174 089 (New Zealand)
+44 207 616 5600 (United Kingdom)
+353 16 011 906 (Ireland)
+32 22 566 625 (Belgium)
+420 239 016 463 (Czech Republic)
+45 35 258 010 (Denmark)
+352 298 479 5023 (Luxembourg)
+31 205 040 539 (Netherlands)
+351 800 780 066 (Portugal)
+41 442 120 032 (Switzerland)
+852 25 981 234 (Hong Kong)
+60 377 124 612 (Malaysia)
+27 218 192 830 (South Africa)
+82 220 971 401 (South Korea)
+54 115 354 0370 (Argentina)
350 Ellis Street
Mountain View, California

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Norton Customer Service. Initial Norton complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Norton above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Norton. Discuss the issues you have had with Norton and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Norton Complaints & Reviews

Norton Annual Renewalbilled to my capital one account and I do not have internet anymore I want a refund.

I did not purchase this item of Norton Anti Virus Renewal as a matter of fact I do not have the Internet anymore.

Beside the item on my Capital One bill was this number which I tried to reach but it would not go through [protected] CA
This was put on my bill on July 31, 2008. I want you to give me a complete credit back to my account and cancel this forever never to be put on my account again immediately.

You can reach me by e-mail [protected]@yahoo.ca I can go to the library or my son's home to retrieve my e-mails.
or call me and leave a message at my home number [protected]
I would appreciate a reply very soon as I want the $71.31 credited back to my Capital One Card which I just received and is due Sept 8. I will give you my Capital One card when you reply to this complaint.

Thankyou,
Gail Kelly

Jacques Dec 19, 2008

I have been victim of a theft. I have received an invoice of Norton that I have never ordered the 28 november to amount of $70. There is at least eight years that I am using more this software (too expensive for me) What do I do? Thank you for your help

Angelique Rabus Sep 19, 2008

I have received my Capital one Bill and I have found a charge that I have never purchased from your company. The computer that I had original put the Norton Virus protector, has not had internet connected to it since 2006. I know I would never have bought an automatic renewal, mainly because I don't believe technology last long. I could be using something completely different next year. I would greatly appreciate a credit on my account, as soon as possible for the amount charged: $42.91.

Thanks,

Angel

sharon Silmon Aug 24, 2008

This renewal was charged to credit card and I didn't agree to a renewal. I don't even have that software on my computer anymore. They charged me 59.99 for this crap and I can't even get through to talk to their consultants.

Norton 360stopping 60 days free trial

I never wanted to try Norton 360, but I got a brand new computer, and it wouldn't continue if I didn't try Norton 360. I wanted to cancel my free 60 day trial. I finally found a way to cancel these services by this email. It hasn't been the full 60 days. I don't want to be charged. I did everything to try to cancel, but the cancellation would not go through. This is my email to contact me for confirmation that the cancellation went through for my own records. Your website for Norton 360 makes it hard to cancel services. On the site it does not have anything that shows that you can cancel.

• Bi
        Bill_W Apr 27, 2011

I tried Norton from http://www.norton-security-store.com/norton-free-trials.html and had no trouble. I tried Norton Internet Security first, uninstalled it, and then got Norton AntiVirus. If you have a problem with getting Norton off your computer, they offer a free removal tool that can be downloaded from Symantec: http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US

• Ca
        Captain Boomie Feb 18, 2010

I agree it was very sketchy how difficult they make it. On their site once you do drill down and manage to find some text about how to cancel, instead of telling you the steps it says to follow the directions you received in your order confirmation email. Why they can't just reiterate it there is so stupid, because this is what the email says:

1. click here to go to the order status page. (the URL is: https://shop.symantecstore.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayOrderStatusPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=symnahho&ThemeID=106300)
        2. Login using either your Order Number and password or e-mail address and the last five digits of your credit card.
        3. Press the “Find Your Order” button to view the product to cancel.
        4. Go to the bottom of the page and click the “Cancel your Order” button.
        5. You will then see a Web page confirming your cancellation.

It's really quite simple once you have the above instructions, and they could have put this on their website as well, but I think they unfairly make it difficult so it's too difficult/time consuming to cancel.

• Mo
        mohommed Nov 04, 2008

free nothan 360

Symantecsubscription problems

My two-year Norton Antivirus subscription is about to expire in three days. I am having a resubscription problem, yet I am unable to contact Symantec via the links on their web site.

I recently received a credit card bill that lists an automatic subscription renewal for their software that I did not authorize. I was planning to use a different credit card than the one I used last time, and it is creating a problem. So unfortunately they already billed me, but the software I paid for did not load; also I was not ready to resubscribe until a day before my current subscription expires. I feel like they tricked me into resubscribing, and resubscribing earlier than I would have liked to. Not only that, but they billed the wrong credit card number, and gave me a one-year subscription when I was planning to buy another two-year subscription. What a mess!

Now I don't know if I should go ahead and do a subscription download from the Symantec web site or not. I am afraid that they will double bill me, and I won't be able to complain to them. All the links for free Symantec technical support do not work; when you click on them, nothing happens! I feel like I'm losing my mind! I guess my only recourse is to call their head office in Cupertino, a long-distance phone call from where I live; hopefully I can resolve the problem that way.

I think Symantec is really overstepping their bounds by automatically resubscribing their customers. They have billed me for a one-year subscription, but have failed to give me instructions on what to do next. I feel like I don't even have the satisfaction of subscribing when I wish to do so. If they really have faith in the quality of their product, why do they have to resort to trickery to force people to resubscribe? Also why do none of their free "contact us" links work?

• Ge
          georgina bayford Apr 03, 2013

one day when on my internet i was bombarded with your latest norton-anit virus 13, as being the latest in security. when i tried to acces it, it was not possible, and then i tried at least 6 times to remove the window, so after that i accepted under duress as i was in the middle of a Important transaction at the time and did not want to lose my contact with the people i was dealing with. Ever since that day, i have noticed a marked disabled Internet proformance and not able to get on, before i accepted under what i consider a violation of my rights, and obtianing control over my private live, which i am considering consulting my full rights by law. All i wanted to do was get my personel control back and ask one of your team to put me through to a technical advisor to remove it from my computer and REFUND me the costs of this aggresive manner in which i was forced to do, under duress. Georgina Bayford.

• At
          at the end of my tether May 31, 2011

i have the same problem, subscription and i cannot cancel anywhere, cannot speak to anyone they say they have no record of me, my credit card company cannot help, is there an address i can write to.

• Pk
          P.K.PATTNAIK Jun 15, 2009

ATTENTION ALL ON LINE PURCHASERS OF ANTI VIRUS PACK

1. NEVER BUY ON LINE BY GIVING YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER
          2. READ THE OFFER DOCUMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU PAY MONEY
          3. WATCH OUT FOR MICRO LETTER TERMS AND CONDITIONS( This is done with the intention of defrauding the Customer)
          4. THERE IS NOTHING CALLED ANNUAL RENEWAL FEES
          5 NONE OF THE COMPANIED REVEAL WHAT IS BEING "up dated"
          In fact, they up date nothing. Because in that way a soft ware can not be reprogrammed. It is a Con business.
          6.THERE IS NO LEGAL AUTHORITY TO VERIFY THE COMPETENCY OF THE ANTI-VIRUS
          7.AS A CONSUMER PROTEST AGAINST THIS ILLEGAL AND UNETHICAL PRACTICES.

Symantec — wrong shipment

Gentleman from India installed Symantec 360 for me after learning I have Parkinsons disease and tat my hand...

Norton Annual Renewalrenewal without permission or knowledge

I was charged for a Norton Annual Renewal on my credit card. I have no knowledge of giving you permission to charge my account for this action. Please contact me for removal of this charge. I no longer have that computer. I have contacted my credit card company on this transaction and wish to remove the $63.59 that was charged for this.

• Ef
            Effie Carson Oct 05, 2008

I haven't used Norton or any Symantec products for three years and my credit card expired. They pushed through the charge without
            a) getting my new expiry date
            b) emailing me before or after the charge
            c) sending me any sort of download for whatever product I paid for.

Not only bad business, but fraud, in my opinion.

Shanna Toussaint Perpignan Aug 31, 2008

My credit card was billed 70, 01 on June 30th for a renewal fee for Norton Antivirus without my personal authorization. I would like to receive a complete refund ASAP of the fees charged because i have a message saying that my subscription for virus protection has expired, which means that i've paid but am not protected.

Maggie Aug 23, 2008

They just did it to me for $49.99 and I don't have that PC.

Nortonunauthorized charges to credit cards

I want to encourage everyone who has been VICTIMIZED by Norton (Symantec) to report the activity to your respective State Attorney General's Office. They are responsible for investigating and taking action against these types of crimes. Most of the state AG's have online complaint forms.

***Florida's AG's online form (copy and paste): http://myfloridalegal.com/Contact.nsf/Contact?OpenForm&Section=Economic_Crimes

If everyone makes a report, maybe something will be done! Good luck!

Norton Annual Renewal — fraud and scam

Norton Symantec — order #[protected]

Ordered a CD (PC Power Boast Service) from Norton Symantec on July 1st. Order number is [protected] dated July...

Norton — discontinued service, want refund

I cancelled the service in May and was to receive a check in 7 days and so far have not seen or heard from...

Norton 360 Anti Virusovercharged for product

I was charge $131.98 for Norton 360 anti virus software. It should not have been over $77. Since it was less than 30 days, I would like to cancel my subscription and have the $131.98 credited to my charge account My order number [protected].

Robert Fidler

• Na
                Nancy O. Ellis Apr 05, 2008

Annual Subscription renewed without my consent.
                Did not want to renew subscription. Received charge on my credit card for $63.74. Would like the charge removed and I do not wish to renew this subscription in the future.

Symantec / Norton Internet Security 2008product does not install properly

This is what I wrote in response to their "customer satisfaction" survey:

Oh yeah, I can tell you what DIDN'T work for me...

I purchased Norton Internet Security 2008 from you on June 18th. My order number is *************. When I click the "download your product" button, the product downloads and then installs the previous trial version I had on my computer. I have completed this process about seven times so far. It downloads, installs, and then "Your trial period has expired" is displayed on the old Norton program interface. And I cannot find any evidence of the new 2008 Norton Security program anywhere on my computer.

I have uninstalled the old trial version a hundred times, but as soon as the new 2008 version is finished installing, the only program available is the old, expired one! I have tried every avenue of troubleshooting. Your "help & support" link advised me to download Symantec Licensing Troubleshooter, which I did, and double-click on the SymLMTS file, which I did, and then follow the on-screen instructions, which I did. The instructions instructed me to put in a 25-character product key into those five fields. Well, in case you haven't noticed, the Norton 2008 program only comes with a 19-character product key. So that doesn't work.

I have tried calling you people, emailing, using the help & support chat service, everything to get this goddamn program up and running. But every single freakin' link DOES NOT WORK! Not even the survey link you sent me in this original email!!! That doesn't even work!!! So then I tried to get into my Norton Account (which I created when I first purchased the product) but the system claimed to not recognize my password. Now, I KNOW THE PASSWORD I CHOSE FOR MY NORTON ACCOUNT BECAUSE I WROTE IT DOWN AND I AM A RESPONSIBLE, ORGANIZED PERSON, WHICH IS A LOT MORE THAN I CAN SAY FOR YOU PEOPLE. But, nevertheless, your idiotic system didn't recognize my password, so I clicked on the "forgot your password" link and the system promised to email me a new, temporary password, WHICH IT DIDN'T. I tried to create a new password about ten times, but my Norton Account never sent a new password to my email account. So that doesn't work, either.

And then I got to thinking... If you incompetent, lazy, irresponsible, sloppy ###s can't get your website and its links in working order, then what does that say about your products??? Why should I believe that the product I purchased for fifty bucks is anything more than a poorly written, malfunctioning, clumsy, half-baked program that does nothing more than confuse and bugger up my delicate computer. I hate you people.

So, naturally and obviously, I am demanding a full refund of the Norton Internet Security 2008 "Subscription". I demand and expect my VISA to be refunded as soon as you have finished reading this email. Again, my order number is *************.

It's been a goddamn nightmare dealing with your company and it's software.

Sincerely,
              Angry Consumer.

• Hu
                  hughLT Dec 20, 2009

I got a message saying my Norton program was messed up and I should uninstall and reinstall. Did that- Now I cannot access my account with my original password OR the temporary they sent me. Disgusting. Hugh Trusty

• Wg
                  wguru Jun 25, 2009

Having experienced the nightmare of NIS2005's even worse release of Symantec's so called AV, I vowed to 'never again use Norton products' (having more problems than it ever prevented, constantly needing NIS re-installs, causing I think more issues w/in the OS than it ever could have prevented, no support, etc., etc., etc.), it was only after trying other products and finding them failing in about the same respects, one of which was eEye's "Blink" that let me down (by allowing a USB stick's 'bar_311' trojan-virus onto my machine, which the nightmare continued when against my better judgement used the again hellish TrendMicro mand their online scanner to supposedly clean the machine and the USB stick (which it didn't and moreover it resulted in enabling the virus's trademark 'boot on & immediately right back off' routine, so that proved TM' sucked as well. Of course TM' refused to back up their online scanner's failure as they refused to even write back and they demand as most, a ccard before even speaking w/support. Thus after weeks of pulling my hair out, ie; countless hours of ueslessly seeking help, I figured out (on my own) how to go to the BIOS and disable boot from disk and then was able to do a complete system recovery. Again, no help from anyone (CNet forum and many other forums as well). So after the system format and re-install, I was still left with the infected USB stick and Norton's online scanner actually cleaned the stick. It was then I made the mistake of buying into the supposed claims that NIS had fixed their quirky software after 2005 and so I installed their NIS 2008. Aside from that I can't say anything good about Symantec's product. It slows down the machine to a crawl, interferes with iexplorer and video editing software mostly from what I can surmise by NIS's "pulse" updating aspect which can't be disabled (supposedly only the suto updates can be disabled, but once you miss either of the usually twice daily auto updates, the result seems the machine is plagued by not only incessant NIS warning popups on need to update, but it seems too that also the pulse update's are the cause of crashing my videop editor. Biggest annoyance w/NIS 2008 is the fact that in order to disable it, you must do so for each individual feature of the damned application (AV, firewall, EMail scanning, on and on and on, and if you use a password for NIS controls, well you know, just more needless exacerbation). NIS/Symantec, you product makes me want to puke. All I can say is just keep nothing on the OS that you don't care if anyone sees it, don't use your primary machine with a ccard, format & reinstall w/o any so called patches (that are bypassed as soon as their issued anyway) and just run your primary machine 'bare foot' and you'll be a lot ****ing more happier. Period.

Sheryl Jul 25, 2008

Had same problem. Finally got it install. Have no idea how I got thru, but I did. Now my problem is my computer shuts off half way thru a full scan. Of course it's my pc...NOT...only time does this is with Norton. As son as I figure out how to uninstall (way that really works), IT IS OUT OF HERE. Nevre ever again to be seen

Symantec — unauthorized charge

I recieved my credit card statement and found a charge for 66.98 on May 8, 2008. I called the credit card...

Symantec / Norton — unrecognized renewal

This is a form of piracy or rico.I have paid twice for a byears subscription and it will not download into a...

Symantec Norton Antivirus — charged me w / o authorization

Symantec Norton Antivirus company charged me $39.99 without my authorization. In fact, when they sent to me...

Norton.com / Cs CAcharged for product that I don't have

charge showed up on credit card statement a year after I cancelled my Norton antivirus and was sent a refund by the company.

• Th
                    thelma s. buell Feb 03, 2010

I was charged for the renewal of my Norton anti-virus protection on Jan. 26, 2010 but
                    have not recieved the service that I have paid for.

• Th
                    thelma s. buell Feb 03, 2010

I was charged for my Norton anti virus protection on Jan. 26, 2010 but have not
                    recieved the service. This was charged to my Visa Card

Symantec - Nortonwant a credit refund for non download

I orderd a Norton Anti-Virus which was prompted online since my factory installed was expiring 60 days after purchase of lap top. I gave all credit card info but when I tried to download, the download would not work. I may not have done it propertly -- but I am a senior citizen and I didn't need the stress. I sent an email the following day to cancel and ask for a refund onto my credit card. It seems I could not reply to that email address.
                  None of the websites or categories I find lead me to a place where I can cancel this order -- ONE DAY AFTER ORDERING. I want the credit now. My Symantec Order Confirmation # is #[protected]
                  (KMM10384721l11273L0KM)

• Ha
                      HAY James Russell Dec 17, 2009

Cancell subscription

• Ha
                      HAY James Russell Dec 17, 2009

Please cancel my subscription. DO NOT RENEW repeat DO NOT RENEW I have instructed my bankers not to accept any charges from your organisation, ''

James Russell HAY

• Re
                      REX P. DILLEE Nov 25, 2008

Would like to cancel charge to my M/C for reference number 24692168316000357500831 for149.98 as I am also charged for your Norton 360 services which I wish to keep.

• Ro
                      Rob Way Apr 21, 2008

On 1/5/08 I ordered PC jump start, instead of just renewing my excising Nortan subscription. When contacting tech to download, she said my computer did not have enough RAM. That was fine, my computer is old, I understood. She said a credit would be issued, so I went online and renewed my excising subscription. I have called and emailed all contacts I was given and no one seems to care. My situation seems so simple w/ easy resolution, credit me for a product I did not recieve. Nortan does not seem to care even though I continued to be a loyal customer. My initial case # was [protected].

Norton Antivirus Softwareovercharge on credit card

I was overcharged on my credit card . I requested a downloadable Norton 360 version 2.0 upgrade. From DRI SYMANTEC STORE I was charged $119.98. My invoice says it is $59.99, and extended download service is $9.99. My bill should have been $69.98 total. I only want a one year program. Please credit my account. Order #[protected] orderdate Apr.- 05 - 08 Thank you
                    Karen Peterson

• St
                        stacy4girls Mar 12, 2010

To whom it my concern:

I jsut recently added some cash tto my PayPal card an thought I would check it, I wasn't able to run my card online and wasn't able to used it at any stores, etc. Thought I should check my balance an this is when I noticed that I had this charge on there that I didn't authorize. When you purchases a new computer Norton offers you a free trial which I took but have only had the computer a few says. NEVER did I authorize this transaction. The free trial I did do but that was only for a few days. Please take this chargeoff my conputer.

Sincerely,

Stacy GRieco

• Du
                        dudertonmcnally Mar 09, 2010

Yeah. Give out your phone number and almost no information. You really expect to get your problem solved? You've got to be the dumbest person on this site. Go eat a dick.

• Sc
                        Screwed once again Mar 09, 2010

we never authorized Norton Antivirus on our computer. We use McAfee and Spyware Blaster. We want a refund.

Marge Elling Mar 06, 2009

Please take the charge off my American Express - Thank you

Marge Elling Mar 06, 2009

Hi
                        I bought a new Dell computer in September and I did not subscribe to Norton Antivirus again. Best Buy did not bring the software on my new computer - They said I had to buy a different one. I have Spyware now. Please take the amount off my American Express Card. I no longer have that computer. Thanks
                        Marge Elling
                        6294 Melbourne Ct.
                        Hudsonville, MI 49426
                        [protected] cell phone

We are in Florida so I do not have my old contract with me. Thanks

Norton Annual Renewal — unauthorized charges

I was charged for an annual renewal for norton and i do not have that on my computer. I have norton but it i...

Annual Renewal Of Nortonunauthorized withdrawal of funds

I have an unauthorized POS funds removal of $53.98 from my checking account. I haven't had any Norton Products for over two years. Please refund my money to my account ASAP.

Norton Symantec — awful scam!

March 2007 I used a debit card linked to my bank account to renew Norton Symantec. That debit card wa...